(2013/11) November 2013

yogini: Glad to find another milo fan!! I go overseas, it's a must to bring the 3 in 1 milo one!
I am at week 26 also and only gain 6kg. But my gyne said weight gain ok and baby weight ok leh.
From 5th month - 6th month: I gained about 2.4kg.

And hmm I was reading this chinese book that is highly raved by taiwanese celebrities, the ideal weight gain is in the range of 8-10kg.
So I am keeping to the 8kg target.

This is the title of the book if anyone of you are interested. Title: 瘦孕:孕期只重8公斤,產後3周速瘦,不害喜不水腫的好孕飲食法
Url: http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/booksfile.php?item=0010549978

I bought it from Kino. It is in traditional chinese though.
Time to knock off! Yeah! :p

yes, milo 3-in-1 is very sweet. I actually prefer milo-O, that is made with milo powder only. but i lazy to bring one tin of milo to office lar. so sometimes just drink the coffee machine's 3-in-1 milo which i will mix with hot water not cos i scared of calories but cos i cant stand the sweetness.

haha arissa, little prince, yea, cant drink tea, cant drink coffee, if milo also cant drink very sad lor. oh i love starbucks' Signature Hot Chocolate. It's soooo yummy. will drink it once in a while. hehe.

Febie, my dark choc m&ms still got sugar coating one leh. haha. but at least better than milk choc i think.

thirdtimemum, experienced myammar will command a pay that as high as a fresh filipino, so like back to square one, might as well get fresh fili. And those with ex SG exp (all nationalities), I always wonder y their ex employer didnt renew them?

i think regardless of nationalities of the maids or agent we go to, everything still have to see if we fated to have a good helper or not...
i received gd and bad feedback for different nationalities of maids in general, so it is hard to determine who is better and who is not. I will just look at their datas, interview those i feel ok with and then select from there. To me not important where she comes from as long as i feel comfortable with her and we have that "chemistry" to work together. Worse case, not up to expectation we got no choice but to change them.

Fixing furniture: I think the more we worry, the more we dont dare to fix.. even if fix liao later if anything happens then start to get paranoid and blame ourselves for doing it when things could be just coincidental. I will go ahead to do if i want to and don't ask the old folks (they sure object!). 不知者无罪. :D

sabrina, week 26 and 6kg weight gain, it's hard to keep to 8kg cos you still have 14 weeks more leh. final trimester weight gain is the most.

Everybody have to go through the glucose test? When?

Thermometer i used braun brand before. It lasted me 8 years.

Gelobean: ok noted. Shall checked out. Thanks .will contact u as referral if i decide on cordlife.

Yogini: dun worry. By right , we only should put on 1 kg per mth.. Est abt 10 to 13 kg for the whole 9 mths. Maybe u want to try drink milk twice a day? Eat cheese as snack?

Littleprince: thanks. Shall check out.

yogini> by right if u r underweight, you should be gaining a min. of 12 kg leh...

re: milo, the nurse oso told me not to drink milo in excess coz it contains caffeine? not too sure abt this though, but i try to restrict my intake to one cup per day if i am having it.

SN>
I also drink Milo-O, straight from the tin, just add hot water, its already sweet n thick, if you are generous with the amount. Value $ sells the purple colour dark choco M&M btw.
My helper was with me for more than 2years now, so lost track of the pay for different countries. Ya, I also prefer not to have those who work in SG before, especially transferred ones, wonder if they are the problem, or the employer fussy.

Sabrina>
I agreed with SN, its super hard to keep to 8kg by 40 weeks leh. I think 11-13 should be more achievable.

2013san>
I also think braun is a good brand, I even got those US ones, without warranty, and lasted about 5 years for my previous one, I just bought 1 from a bulk purchase on SMH, at $56, can meet the person at Bishan/AMK mrt, then pay, but I chose Smartbox, pay $4.70 extra, send to my home. there is option to buy with warranty, extra $20 for 6 months or 1 year I think

sorry..so long never log in..noticed that some mummies request to join fb group. If you want to join, can leave your email or pm me. I'll send u an email request :)

momnov: the aden + anais swaddle in your pic is the bamboo swaddle, its softer than the normal ones..normal ones cost 39.90 for 4 pcs. I was standing there for quite some time to decide which to buy, in the end got the $39.90 one.

Just to share, A+A swaddles will most likely be on sale at Baby Market. Just get 1 set first, then get more at the fair.
Last yr it was super super cheap, I bought 5 sets for friends as gifts. :D

saw someone posted this while browsing the SMH WTS forum, for those looking to hold a baby shower

High tea package for 30 persons value at $1800.
Package won in a lucky draw.
Letting off for $800.
Interested can watsapp or SMS me at 91004404 for details.
will let go to the first person who make payment.

i just had my 4-weekly checkup today! So happy that my gynae managed to take a 'photo' of my bb face.. hahaha he was facing right at the scanner placed.. cute cute! now my next checkup will be 2 weeks time.. my bb weights 1kg now.. i suppose its normal cos my gynae never say anything much also... by next week i m moving into 3rd trim.. so fast.. my hub was telling me that very soon i will miss the feeling of my sonny kicking inside me.. hahaha

winkle: hmmm my edd is 7 nov and currently i m at week 28 already. i wonder if i calculated wrongly.. hahaha

mummies i have a question abt hopsital.. i think high chance it have been asked before... just that i am having thoughts about changing hospital now..
which hospital is better - tmc or mount a? i just went to read some reviews about these two hospital in forum.. and apparently mount a seems to be better.. in terms of service.. as a first time mum.. i hope to receive the most help during my stay there.. so it kinda make me sway towards mount a.. thinking of arranging a hospital tour to go and see.. but any experienced mum can advise? thanks!

Last edited:
linxiaober>

both my last 2 pregnancies I delivered in Mount Alvernia, and I have booked Mount A again this time round, I find comfortable there, nurses were very patient, and nice. I am not sure though, now there is renovation going on at the carpark, if it will be inconvenient or not, hopefully completed by then.

I once met a sales staff while buying nursing bra, she shared with me, that Mount A knows how to take care of the mummy, and TMC knows how to take care of the baby! I don't know other mummies has other things to share about these 2 hospitals?

to me, I must feel comfortable staying there, but again, I can't say anything about other hospital, since I have not delivered in any where else.

mummies, thanks for your concern. Thank God baby is fine. Its the polyp acting up. Dr said pregnancy hormones made the polyp grow hence more likely it will give probs. Did a pap smear too. Just in case. Dr had to put cream to stop the bleeding. Quite sian... but thankful that its not bb.

Had a dramatic incident at the gynae's office. Lately I feel that when I lie flat, I will feel breathless and giddy. And this happened when dr was scanning bb. I felt so faint that after the scan, I sat up and puked! Aiyo... it was so embarrassing. Even dr said he hasn't encountered such a dramatic case of feeling faint within minutes of lying flat. Hahaa...

Littleprince, yes, tmc was really crowded. Waited 2hrs for my turn. Btw, my next appt shld be the 7th mth appt. The nurse never say will do glucose test. Heh... hope I can siam.

The scan managed to capture a front view of the little guy. It was adorable! Dr even said he's smiling, although I think for the untrained eyes, it takes a bit of imagination. Bb is 600grams at 23wks 4d.

Plush, I'm gonna chiong taka baby fair this weekend! Only bought steriliser last week so better go see what else to get.
Glad u managed to sign up for another prenatal class. Hv fun!!

SN, u v funny.. so means can eat choco n durian without guilt! Keke.. too bad im not a dark choc lover which means I will put on weight cos I love white n milk choco.. those sweet stuff!

Little prince, I didnt noe our edd r 1 day apart! So near! N same gyne Summore. But I chosen Mt A to deliver n informed e gyne n nurse on my last visit. As usual, they warned me to b prepared tt dr wont b able to visit me regularly. Shld b once a day ba? Nvm la, Im more favourable to mt A cos of e good review e nurses taking care of us. Even my family doc recommended mt aa instead of tmc. So if we deliver e same dat, dr will hav to rush mt A n tmc..dunno how ah... My fren gyne is those outside clinic den he nearly missed e delivery lo cos suddenly my fren dilating too fast. Mt A jus send her to delivery ward n get prepared. Lucky gyne managed to reach n hop e bb with e last 15 mins. Haha..

Plush, is there a class on Friday evening? Cos i called last week n was told only left thursday class in Sep n so I enrol tt class. Maybe they last min open friday class. Ah.. I wanted a friday class den next day dun need work. Hm.. maybe I call again. Yes I osofeel tmc class v ex for non patient. SInce I didnt manage to book mrs wong class, den I go for mt A. Is soo much cheaper at 169 bucks for mt a patient n w ladies card. Ur work v xin ku for a preg lady gg for exbit. Think u jus grab a chair n seat there.

Mawanab, hope u r better! Maybe when u lie down, e blood or sugar level went down tt y u feel like fainting? Did doc giv u any medi? I oso manage to snap a front view of bb face for me! I nv do glucose test le cos I not a patient of tmc? So dun hav such package? My next appt oso in 7th mth.. u mean cannot go see gyne during 7th mth? When urs?mine is 2 sep.

Xiaober, u so fast 28 weeks?!! 7 nov edd.. v fast hor.. mummies w early nov edd r stepping into 3rd trim... =))

Re: a&a swaddles
I got it from mothercare sales tt time at 39.90 w 4 pcs packed. Shld b decent enuff ba.. dun need get e bamboo series cos is more ex

Last edited:
Hi mummies & mummies-2-b,

I have been reading the forum but too lazy to register till nw. It has been so informative esp it is my 1st pregnancy!

My EDD: 30 Nov
Gynae: Dr Benjamin Tham
BB gender: gal
Staying: Boon Keng

Lxb, how come yr next chkup is 2 wks later and not 4 wks later? Its two weeks once when enter into 3rd tri? I think its mixed preference in terms of delivering at tmc or mt a, for me I wld prefer a hosp tt I know my gynae can reach faster just in case. :) Tmc is convenient for me coz they will valet park for me, don't need to worry abt where to park.

Mawanab, thk goodness everything is ok, better take care and rest well. Huh, dunno how come so lil ppl are asked to do glucose test here in their 7th mth? Maybe I ask next round when I go for chkup if its applicable to everyone or what. Share yr shopping loot with us after yr spree!

Pinkyloving, ya I noticed tt day tt we are a day apart and same gynae. :) my #1 was late for 3 days and had to be induced, don't think #2 will be earlier than edd ba? Anyway, am sure the nurses are pro enough to handle while waiting for gynae so shld be ok.

Pinkyloving: ya the nurse yesterday check for me is 28 weeks le.. Fast hor... Suddenly my 2ndtrim is over like that... N now moving to 3rd trim... Hahaha super fast

Little prince: I asked the nurse she mention that when going to 3rd trim it will be 2 weeks already.. Dan it will shorten to 10 days Dan 1 week Dan 5 days.. My gynae didn't mention which is nearer for him because he wants me to make my own option without other affecting factors.. But after reading the review of how the nurse treat the mummy in TMC.. I abit scare.. Seriously thinking of switching..

linxiaober: my edd is very near to yours. Mine is 11 Nov. My next checkup is end of the month so means I also stepping into the 3rd trim!
Erh, where is the review of the nurse treating the mummy badly?

Mawanab: I am glad you are ok!

Hi mummies & mummies-2-b,

I have been reading the forum but too lazy to register till nw. It has been so informative esp it is my 1st pregnancy!

My EDD: 30 Nov
Gynae: Dr Benjamin Tham
BB gender: gal
Staying: Boon Keng

Welcome! My edd is almost the same as yours and we share the same gynae! We are even staying ard the same area! :D I'm having another boy though :)

Last edited:
linxiaober>

both my last 2 pregnancies I delivered in Mount Alvernia, and I have booked Mount A again this time round, I find comfortable there, nurses were very patient, and nice. I am not sure though, now there is renovation going on at the carpark, if it will be inconvenient or not, hopefully completed by then.

I once met a sales staff while buying nursing bra, she shared with me, that Mount A knows how to take care of the mummy, and TMC knows how to take care of the baby! I don't know other mummies has other things to share about these 2 hospitals?

to me, I must feel comfortable staying there, but again, I can't say anything about other hospital, since I have not delivered in any where else.

I was going to deliver at Mt A for #1 till my gynae change my mind. He said the operating theatre is nearer to the labour ward in tmc, so any emergency can go straight to operating theatre.. wherest for Mt A, the OT and the labour ward are on different floors.. thats what I rem. So in the end I switch over to TMC. Nurses treatment of me was so-so, I don't like the lactation consultants there because they squeezed my nipple so hard to draw milk I almost cried! end up with latching problem. But at least I know I really got milk haha. Am going back to tmc again for this one for the same reason, anyway this time round I'll take care of the breastfeeding part on my own and shoo away all the consultants. the consultant I outsource from outside is way better and more expert!

I was going to deliver at Mt A for #1 till my gynae change my mind. He said the operating theatre is nearer to the labour ward in tmc, so any emergency can go straight to operating theatre.. wherest for Mt A, the OT and the labour ward are on different floors.. thats what I rem. So in the end I switch over to TMC. Nurses treatment of me was so-so, I don't like the lactation consultants there because they squeezed my nipple so hard to draw milk I almost cried! end up with latching problem. But at least I know I really got milk haha. Am going back to tmc again for this one for the same reason, anyway this time round I'll take care of the breastfeeding part on my own and shoo away all the consultants. the consultant I outsource from outside is way better and more expert!
attigal>

I thought Wong Boi Boi is in TMC now, she's very pro when it comes to breastfeeding. She was working in Mount A back in 2000 when I had my #1, then when I had #2, Sister Kang was the one who came to visit, but I already successfully BF my #1, so no problem. As for labour, I definitely don't want myself to end up in OT, pray for normal smooth delivery without complications, just like the previous 2. Don't understand why lactation consultant need to squeeze hard to draw milk, as usually there won't be milk in the 1st day, there is only colostrum , the 1st milk, my #2 was sleepy all the time, and only started latching properly end of my stay in the hospital.

Hi hammie and attigal,

I'm also w dr Tham. Delivered at TMC for my #1. The nurses in delivery ward and my ward after delivery were nice. But I rem the nurse who helped me insert pill for my induction and cervix check was rude. I dun feel like going back to TMC. But also worried if I deliver in mt A, dunno if dr tham can reach in time? Still thinking....

I realised alot mummies under dr Benjamin tham.means he will be busy delivery our bb in nov! Dunno can catch our bb in time anot.. haha

attigal>

I thought Wong Boi Boi is in TMC now, she's very pro when it comes to breastfeeding. She was working in Mount A back in 2000 when I had my #1, then when I had #2, Sister Kang was the one who came to visit, but I already successfully BF my #1, so no problem. As for labour, I definitely don't want myself to end up in OT, pray for normal smooth
delivery without complications, just like the previous 2. Don't understand why lactation consultant need to squeeze hard to draw milk, as usually there won't be milk in the 1st day, there is only colostrum , the 1st milk, my #2 was
sleepy all the time, and only started latching properly end of my stay in the hospital.

I never met the famous Wong boi boi, only other lactation consultants on duty. Anyway hope this time round will not need their help. Wow Dr Tham is really popular! I just visited him yesterday and happily told him I plan to eat durian and look forward to mooncake festival! Then he immediately told me both cannot!! I left feeling so sad :( .... Mooncake festival only once a year and I can only eat so little mooncake *sobs*

Mummies... i'm feeling kinda depressed now. Was already feeling sad that i can't be travelling on this long weekend, so i consoled myself that i will go eat nice food n find stuffs to do instead. In the end, this morning while heading out to eat dim sum, i hurt my ankle. =( i have trouble walking now, even dinner have to ask hub go dabao for me, get plates n tissue for me, etc. yes i told myself that luckily i din fall, n my ankle is not sprained (cos doesn't look swollen), but just very sian that i am "grounded" at home for the next few days. now hub went out for a gathering with his friends n i'm alone at home, the sadness sinks in again.

Xu4n, sorry to hear abt your ankle. Why not get online and watch some dramas and shows? They are great for taking your mind off depressing stuff :). Your food dun always have to be tabao.. Some home delivery taste great too, like golden pillow... *drool*

thanks attigal.. orh cos hub needs to go out so just dabao out of convenience lor cos delivery must wait quite long n usually have min order. hmm ya maybe i take the time to go watch some tw or hk drama online to distract myself. thanks for the suggestion! =)

Xuan, I oso had dim sum this morning as well! Yummy!! Dont b depressed ya! Treat it as a relax own time pampering for urself these few days. Put on a mask... watch drama... read books..snacking chips & shaking legs r equally enjoyable as well! U go outside seeing e crowd oso sian. Cheer up!! :)

Saw this belt selling at mothercare.. to b used after delivery.. tink is to get e tummy or hips back to shape. Issit useful to hav it?

Manawab, thank goodness u are ok.. was thinking abt u today but no time to check the forum. glad to see that u and ur bb are both ok.. As for u feeling dizzy when lying flat, did ur gynae explain why? i think could be that ur uterus is lying on a major blood vessel carrying blood to and from ur brain. hence lying flat would compress it. so u slp on ur sides?

Xuan, poor thing u.. dun be upset! now that i have kids, i treasure whatever me time i can find.. just take the opportunity to have a gd rest. :)

Re: Lactation consultants
Sister Kang is pretty gd but i still find Sister Cynthia Pang the best LC i have ever seen!

Re: TMC vs Mt A
Actually hor, ur doc that is based in TMC would be able to get to Mt A in time. First and forthmost, u don't usually deliver immediately so when u get into the hospital, there will be some time before u pop.. nurses would immed inform ur doc. i have a fren whose water bag burst in the car when she reached the hospital at 10pm.. she was 8cm dilated and gave birth 25 mins later. Her gynae also managed to reach in time and this is considering that it is after hours and gynae was traveling from home. so just go with whatever u prefer lor.. ur gynae won't tell u he can deliver at another hospital unless he knows he can make it in time.

Anyway just wanna tell mommies with older kids that have gone through P1 registration: i didn't manage to get into the parent volunteer programme of the sch of my choice.. haizzz. now i m kinda stuck cos i dun have any schs with 1km of me. sigh.

Attigal: Hi 5! Probably we shall meet up one of these days since u r more experienced mummy! I m still not sure which IFC to put my bb gal in as I dun have contacts on reliable BB sitters n both parents stay far away fr us.....

I already had durians last week! He told me I can eat anything when I asked him twice previously abt what food cannot eat lo.... I din ask abt durians & mooncakes in specific though.... Anyway, already ate & digested so dun care la;) I din really ate alot as well (*self console*)..... I guess if u really have cravings just take a bit should b fine? I guess he is just concerned abt bb or mummy or both being overweight eating too much of these food.....

Hi bunnymummy82: lol I was referred to dr tham by my gf who got him as gynae.... . Considering a lot of mummies under him, my appts w him so far has been ok as the waiting time is very manageable, not more than half an hour....

Pinkloving: lol... I did ask him tt qn b4... What if a few mummies giving birth at same time? He laughed & mentioned tt it seldom happened .... He said he did deliver 3 babies within the same day though if I remembered correctly.... I trust tt he is an experienced gynae tt can handles such situations well.... Bbs pop earlier or later sometimes also not within our ctl.......

Linxiaober, Bunnymummy82 & Attigal: I was also deciding Mt A & Thomson cos SIL works in Mt A but went ahead w Thomson as It is nearer to my place n Dr Tham is based there. If anything goes wrong, at least his nurses r able to help hopefully... Now in cold sweat thinking abt the Lactation Consultants & bad nurses lol .... Gosh... I pray tt I dun meet any mean ones....:(

Is employing lactation consultant privately very ex? What is the mkt rate & recommended ones? Totally noob in this aspect.

Fuzzybear: dun b too upset n focus in next best alternative..... I m worried abt the future pri1 schooling thing next time also ... But tt will b a few more years later

I went to Taka BB fair yesterday & the free toys above $350 & $600 were fully redeemed..... Ended up I only bought the FP 4-in1 ez bundle cos din wan to take the risk of not getting the current promo price for upcoming fairs just in case + free delivery + FP gives goodie bag for spending above $200 (while stk last) ... Hubbie & I decided to pend the bebebon cot & mc claren strollers (still confused whether to get quest or xt) for now & see the other bb fairs promo.....

Hammie,

fr my experience Dr Tham is pretty conservative bout weight. That time he started reminding me to control when my baby was "considered" big to him. End up, she was 3.37 kg at birth. I'm grateful to him that he is more conservative. At least I run lower risk of having to csec due to big baby.

I haven seen a lactation consultant before, does it work? I heard its very painful.

Experienced mummies, under what circumstances do we see a lactation consultant? I has mastitis once and after taking antibiotics by GP, it still felt painful. I went to see a breast specialist. She scanned my boobs and told me just need time to recover, thank goodness. I'm interested to know what we should actually do if we have mastitis or lumps in breasts that just won't go away? Cos I felt it was not necessary to see a breast specialist. The patients around me were seeing her for like more serious cases.

I rem we should use hot compress and cold compress for different situation? Hot towel/compress to circulate milk flow, so hot compress to be used before every feed to get the milk coming. Correct? Then what if we have eg. very full breasts but after pumping/latching, milk doesn't come out completely? Is such situation considered engorged breasts? Do we use hot or cold compress then?

Sometimes I feel very confused who to approach for such situations. Gynae? GP? LC? Is it difficult to make an appointment w LC? How much does it cost to get a LC to do home visit?

pinkyloving, fuzzybear, dr says the giddiness when lying flat is prob due to poor blood circulation. No meds. Just gotta sleep on my sides.

hammie_gal, welcome! My edd is one day before you and I'm with dr tham too! :)

attigal, no mooncakes and durian?! I better don't tell my hubby. Got craving for them!!! He has been refusing to let me eat. But since dr tham didn't say anything abt not eating that when I saw him on wed, tot I will just eat. Hubby says will bring me for durian later..

xu4n, don't be sad. Like what fuzzybear said, better treasure the alone time u hv now. Take a nap, watch some videos, catch ndp. Time flies pass quickly.

Went back to taka baby fair for the 2nd time ytd, finally bought the fp rocker!!! Hahaa... so happy with the purchase though hubby tot likewise. Then raging hormones started acting up when hubby wanted to leave after that. Got upset that we went down just to buy one item, like our first visit. So hung around longer and got a jj cole collection bb body support. Hopefully it'll be useful. Cos just realised the stuff I hv bought doesn't seem critical, except for the clothes...

Tot the next big purchase is cot and breast pumps and did more research on the latter. Seems like pisa is better. Got few reviews that said freestyle suction not good. Fuzzybear, I recalled u will be using the old pisa u got after servicing right?
Asked a colleague and she said most of mummies in my office use pisa. She said heavy esp if bring ice pack. But can put milk in fridge and forgo ice packs. I'm thinking maybe I can tahan lugging pisa to office cos my home is nearby. And of cos the big plus point abt pisa is the cost - cheaper... so still deciding which to buy.

lxb, okok. tmc said chk up will be more often only when we reach 9th mth. yours is more often earlier, is it part of the pkg?

xu4n, hope your ankle gets better before Sun then you can still go out to enjoy the long wkend!

fuzzybear, when is yr oldest kid due for P1? did the sch adv why they didn't select you for the PV programme? which sch are you trying for? my nephew didn't get into the pri sch of my SIL's choice after balloting, so going into 2nd choice. my SIL has been stressed over this P1 reg for 2 years, now she is so disappointed and i hv to comfort her tt it may not be so bad for my nephew to get into the sch of her 2nd choice. it is so competitive and stressful for p1 reg these days, i hope i can just put #2 into my boy's sch in future to save me the headache.

mummys who intend to put their babies into IFC, do you need to start searching now and reg? i heard from other mums that some locations are so popular that even when putting on waiting list while during pregnancy, they can't get their babies a slot in the IFC by the time they are returning to work.

mawanab, PISA is going out of stock soon coz Medela will only be selling FS in future. if want to buy then better buy soon? most mummies use PISA because it has been available for a few years compared to FS which is newer. as for ice packs, you can put in office fridge while you are still in the office if there is one but i think you shld still hv an ice pack to put into cooler bag otw home just in case you get stuck somewhere? tt was what i did during #1's time.

Attigal: Hi 5! Probably we shall meet up one of these days since u r more experienced mummy! I m still not sure which IFC to put my bb gal in as I dun have contacts on reliable BB sitters n both parents stay far away fr us.....

I already had durians last week! He told me I can eat anything when I asked him twice previously abt what food cannot eat lo.... I din ask abt durians & mooncakes in specific though.... Anyway, already ate & digested so dun care la;) I din really ate alot as well (*self console*)..... I guess if u really have cravings just take a bit should b fine? I guess he is just concerned abt bb or mummy or both being overweight eating too much of these food.....

Hi bunnymummy82: lol I was referred to dr tham by my gf who got him as gynae.... . Considering a lot of mummies under him, my appts w him so far has been ok as the waiting time is very manageable, not more than half an hour....

Pinkloving: lol... I did ask him tt qn b4... What if a few mummies giving birth at same time? He laughed & mentioned tt it seldom happened .... He said he did deliver 3 babies within the same day though if I remembered correctly.... I trust tt he is an experienced gynae tt can handles such situations well.... Bbs pop earlier or later sometimes also not within our ctl.......

Linxiaober, Bunnymummy82 & Attigal: I was also deciding Mt A & Thomson cos SIL works in Mt A but went ahead w Thomson as It is nearer to my place n Dr Tham is based there. If anything goes wrong, at least his nurses r able to help hopefully... Now in cold sweat thinking abt the Lactation Consultants & bad nurses lol .... Gosh... I pray tt I dun meet any mean ones....:(

Is employing lactation consultant privately very ex? What is the mkt rate & recommended ones? Totally noob in this aspect.

Fuzzybear: dun b too upset n focus in next best alternative..... I m worried abt the future pri1 schooling thing next time also ... But tt will b a few more years later

I went to Taka BB fair yesterday & the free toys above $350 & $600 were fully redeemed..... Ended up I only bought the FP 4-in1 ez bundle cos din wan to take the risk of not getting the current promo price for upcoming fairs just in case + free delivery + FP gives goodie bag for spending above $200 (while stk last) ... Hubbie & I decided to pend the bebebon cot & mc claren strollers (still confused whether to get quest or xt) for now & see the other bb fairs promo.....

Sure, we can find time to meet up! I'm not very experience lah haha.. got more experienced mummies here then me!

Actually I think my weight gain is still ok! I was 43kg before preggie and now I'm 47.5kg. thats about 4.5 kg increase. I gain quite abit for my#1 though, mainly during last trimester, went all the way up to 56kg! Dr Tham is just concerned in case I kee siao and over-indulge haha.. coz he is saying my baby's weigh is on track so I mention, oh so I can eat durian lah... then he start lecturing me liao!

I didn't really "employ" a private LC, more like I went to consult her because I had a lot of problems latching. I went to Doris Fok, who stay near my area at Novena and she is really good! problem solved after 1 session with her ard an hour plus, which cost me $60. Her approach is very different. She studied both the shape of my nipple and the shape of my baby's mouth and recommend other ways to latch instead of the usual way, which makes sense because every pair of breasts and baby's mouth is different. I had a successful and memorable breastfeeding journey because of her and breastfed for a whole year. I don't know if her market rate has increased or she has retired already. Although she is very good, I hope I won't need her help this time round!

Hammie,

fr my experience Dr Tham is pretty conservative bout weight. That time he started reminding me to control when my baby was "considered" big to him. End up, she was 3.37 kg at birth. I'm grateful to him that he is more conservative. At least I run lower risk of having to csec due to big baby.

I haven seen a lactation consultant before, does it work? I heard its very painful.

Experienced mummies, under what circumstances do we see a lactation consultant? I has mastitis once and after taking antibiotics by GP, it still felt painful. I went to see a breast specialist. She scanned my boobs and told me just need time to recover, thank goodness. I'm interested to know what we should actually do if we have mastitis or lumps in breasts that just won't go away? Cos I felt it was not necessary to see a breast specialist. The patients around me were seeing her for like more serious cases.

I rem we should use hot compress and cold compress for different situation? Hot towel/compress to circulate milk flow, so hot compress to be used before every feed to get the milk coming. Correct? Then what if we have eg. very full breasts but after pumping/latching, milk doesn't come out completely? Is such situation considered engorged breasts? Do we use hot or cold compress then?

Sometimes I feel very confused who to approach for such situations. Gynae? GP? LC? Is it difficult to make an appointment w LC? How much does it cost to get a LC to do home visit?

bunnymummy82, for me my consult with Doris Fok is very worth it. She pinpointed my problems with latching and corrected them. And after she coached me, not painful at all, compare to those TMC so call lactation consultant who aren't much help at all! I had very sore nipples and bad engorgement for the 1st week before I see her, it was a nightmare.

Breastfeeding is not that straightforward, need to regularly massage and pump to prevent clogged milk ducts (which could lead to mastitis). For me, because supply wasn't a problem, sometimes just to get relieve I would go to toilet and express out some milk just to ease the engorgement. abit wasteful, but better then the pain later.

During pumping I would sometimes adjust the pump and the funnel to help clear the milk which I felt wasn't express out - massaging will also help. If the pump don't help, I would simply hand-express out the milk from the part of the breast which I feel still has milk.

And to answer your question: for breast feeding related issues, only a lactation consultant can help. Sister Kang from Mt A, Wong Boi Boi from TMC and Doris Fok are just the few of the more famous ones.

For engorgement, cold cabbage will give you relief, but also reduce supply, so use carefully.

My consult with Doris cost me $60, but I went to her house as it was near my area. For home visit, will definitely cost more then that.

pinkyloving, fuzzybear, dr says the giddiness when lying flat is prob due to poor blood circulation. No meds. Just gotta sleep on my sides.

hammie_gal, welcome! My edd is one day before you and I'm with dr tham too! :)

attigal, no mooncakes and durian?! I better don't tell my hubby. Got craving for them!!! He has been refusing to let me eat. But since dr tham didn't say anything abt not eating that when I saw him on wed, tot I will just eat. Hubby says will bring me for durian later..

xu4n, don't be sad. Like what fuzzybear said, better treasure the alone time u hv now. Take a nap, watch some videos, catch ndp. Time flies pass quickly.

Went back to taka baby fair for the 2nd time ytd, finally bought the fp rocker!!! Hahaa... so happy with the purchase though hubby tot likewise. Then raging hormones started acting up when hubby wanted to leave after that. Got upset that we went down just to buy one item, like our first visit. So hung around longer and got a jj cole collection bb body support. Hopefully it'll be useful. Cos just realised the stuff I hv bought doesn't seem critical, except for the clothes...

Tot the next big purchase is cot and breast pumps and did more research on the latter. Seems like pisa is better. Got few reviews that said freestyle suction not good. Fuzzybear, I recalled u will be using the old pisa u got after servicing right?
Asked a colleague and she said most of mummies in my office use pisa. She said heavy esp if bring ice pack. But can put milk in fridge and forgo ice packs. I'm thinking maybe I can tahan lugging pisa to office cos my home is nearby. And of cos the big plus point abt pisa is the cost - cheaper... so still deciding which to buy.

Dr Tham relent and say i can have a few seeds if I really must have them hahaha. I'm so looking forward to durian too.. I feel like a hungry ghost myself!

I am using my freestyle and have no problem with the suction (hope after almost 2 years in retirement the pump still as good - fingers crossed). In fact when I stop breastfeeding after more then a year - I felt so sentimental keeping away my pump - it has helped me saved so much $ in milk powder, and so reliable. Looking forward to bringing it out of retirement when #2 arrives :)

Nov mummies are all craving for durians!!
Just had mine abt 15 seeds of mao shan wang... this time jie lat since I will be having my g.diabetes test on Monday.. once start eating cannot stop but at least no more durian craving! :)

By the way, any mummies bought bb clothes from the shop opp the si ma lu temple? Can post some pic on it? Thanks thanks!!

Xuan, pls don't feel down. It's true, once bb arrives, no more me time. You'll feel like you grew extra pairs of eyes, ears, hands, and all still not enough to keep track of your kid. Must enjoy your alone time now :)

Mawanab, good to know you and bb are fine!

Fuzzybear, can concentrate on phase 2B via church, clan association for P1 registration, and/or rent a place nearer to school of choice to meet distance requirements should balloting occur from phase 2B onwards. Renting is a bit of a grey area though. Last alternative, make sure #1 does extremely well academically and/or CCA-wise in first few years of primary and apply for transfer to school of choice.

Lactation consultant: I used to frequent a retail shop opened by two nurses cum LC, and they used to charge $100+ for home visits. Also keep the local breastfeeding org Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group in mind as (cheaper) alternativeTTYttp://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/home/index.php)

Attigal, is Dorris working fr home or something? Can I have her contact?

Ankh, retail shop? Where is the shop? What can the breast feeding mothers support group do for us? Thru email?

Bunnymummy82, retail shop close shop already. BMSG manned mainly by volunteers, and they give help over the phone. Think its FOC. Note that there'll be delay in replies on weekends. On the website can see they also conduct bf related talks. Personally I think those famous LC still better, but not free lor.

Happy National Day mommies! I went to the zoo with my boys today.. woah the crowd was crazy.. i was waddling like a duck all the time, huffing and puffing away!

Re: Durians
Hb got me a box of Red Prawn.. pretty decent cos i only take sweet durians. to tell the truth, i can't taste the diff btw a sweet Red Prawn which cost $28 per durian and one of those 3 for $10 normal durians which also taste as sweet. haha.. anyway i only eat abt 4-5 seeds per sitting! still got half a box left.

Manawab, yes i use PISA. when i was sourcing for a breast pump in 2008, PISA was the model to go for.. only late 08-09 that Freestyle came online and became more popular. i do NOT recommend u not bringing ur own ice pack. First and foremost, i m very scared of the office communal fridge! nobody cleans them and there are things that have been expired ages ago that are still in there! 2ndly, if u are caught in a traffic jam and take longer than usual to go home, there goes ur milk. though fresh EBM can tahan 4hrs at room temp, i m not comfortable with feeding my baby milk that have been left unchilled for more than 1hr.. So i will recommend u buy a pump that suits ur lifestyle best. if u drive or get driven everywhere, then yes, PISA is a gd pump to get. if not, FS is equally as gd. like i mentioned before, though PISA is supposed to have a better suction, u really can't tell the difference.

RE: When to see an LC?
Here's my personal opinion: if u DIE DIE wanna bf, see an LC all the time. not a GP not a breast doctor, unless referred by an LC. LC have techniques to solve ur bf-ing problems that no GP (unless the GP is an LC too) can handle. this includes massaging and HAND expressing out any blocks in ur boobs. LC will teach u how to latch, how to pump even (after they evaluate and know that latching might not be a gd idea), but not a GP. if u have blocks, see an LC immed (within 24hrs if u cannot remove ur blocks urself) and do not wait. the longer u wait, the chance of developing mastitis is much much higher. even if u have early stages of mastitis, LC can still help unblock it and even prescribe antibiotics. last resort, the LC refers u to a breast surgeon. ALWAYS ask the LC to visit u as many times as possible while u are still in hospital to make sure u get the correct latch because while u are in hospital, all visits by the LC is FREE. Get their name cards and enquire abt their home visit rates. Usually if u deliver at the same hospital, they charge u lesser than when they do home visit for other mommies.

Ankh, i don't think i have time for clan/ church/ community volunteer liao.. my son is due to register next Jul. :( haizzz.. we really got played out by the sch we wanted. they didn't make it clear to us that they have balloting just to enter their PV prog lor.. they only offered 20 slots and there were 63 parents applying! hotter than some schools' Phase 2B!

Hi mummies, thanks for all the consolations. Yea, I know once baby is born it'll be harder to get me-time but my idea of me-time or couple time is gg out not staying home ah.. Will have alot of chance to stay home once baby is born. Haha.. Anw I got depressed just now again cos wanted to go neighbourhood mall to get some desserts n b&j so as to console myself. But while preparing to go out my leg suddenly cramped. -.- so my left ankle hurts, left thigh cramped, n right thigh muscle ache (cos of exerting more force on the right). I felt so pathetic I broke down. I think it's cos I felt helpless n frustrated. Then hub had to go out n dabao dinner for me again. But felt better when I saw him go make hot towels to try to relieve my pains.. At least feel his concern n felt pampered. >.<

Sorry I'm grumbling so much over the weekend. =x Hope everybody is having a much better weekend than me! So fast tmr Saturday already...

Fuzzybear, u got so much durian to enjoy!! So envious... I only took abt 5 seeds of mao shan Wang and hubby tried to stop me liao. Anyway, think that's enough for me now. Think bb takes up too much space. Feel like I get fuller faster and for longer.

Tks Littleprince & fuzzybear on ur sharing on pisa vs fs. Will definitely take that into consideration.

Xu4n, ur hubby is so sweet. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

good morning mummies!
who have bought from amazon?
I need help.. my items are all AmazonGlobal Eligible and are over usd125 but i still get charged for shipping and handling.
anyone knows why?

Morning mummies!

So tired from the events over past two days.. Friday went east coast with family to enjoy the breeze n some time.. Dan yesterday went marina square to see fireworks.. So crowded but lucky the fireworks made it up.. Next year dun think got chance to go and I also dun want to bring my bb there to suffer the heat n crowd.. Saw some brought their few months old baby to stand there n see.. The poor baby look so hot.. N I warned my hub that I wun bring bb there.. I rather stay at home and watch telecast.. Oh ya! There is a further markdown of discount in mothercare! Those items on 30% will be marked down to 50%.. The sale will end tomorrow.. There are some cute clothes for babies can go n try those big outlets.. Shopping!!!

Mawanab: hope u r feeling better and enjoyed ur shopping.. Didn't realize my post on you didnt get posted..

Xuan: hope your ankle is better.. But I agree that maybe can rest better at home.. Get well faster is better then at delay recovery... And best part can let your hubby pamper you these few days.. i believe you will get well very soon! Hope you feeling better now! :)

Fuzzybear: envy you!!! I also want to eat durian.. Waiting for hub to go and buy but I doubt he will buy.. Cos it's too heaty n scare bb oversize..

Thanks for the advice on the two hospital mummies! Just book a mount a hospital tour next week.. Hopefully with that I will be able to make up my mind which hospital to decide on..

Hello, popping in to say hi to everyone.
I m due 25 Nov with 2 twin boys. Hoping to know more twin mummies here.
Pls leave me a PM, thanks!

Mummies who have bought or own a cot/playpen, are you able to pull it out from your room to living room easily if baby needs to be in the living room while you are doing chores in the kitchen? I can't seem to find one that is smaller than my room door width. And for those that can, they are likely cots and not playpens.

Xuan: Hope your ankle getting better. At least u feel pampered!!

Many mummies enjoying durian!! My colleague told me to eat durian too. She claim v 'bu' for pregnant woman!!
I remember my gynae mentioned during my second appointment that bb will be big if we eat durian. Maybe we should limit ourselves and dun over eat.

Little Prince: Regarding IFC, yes, best to look around now and once u confirm the one you like, best to chop a slot with the IFC.
Let them know roughly which month you are placing your little one there. As for myself, i already told the owner of my #1's IFC of my intention to place #2 there.

Back