(2013/09) September 2013

hi! i'm from Aug thread. Just reading thru other threads n saw someone asked abt what gynae shared on what can/cannot eat. Here's the list my gynae gave me:

FOODS TO AVOID:
1. Oily foods
2. Spicy foods
3. Sour foods including Citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes), strawberries, tomatoes, kiwi fruit as well as vitamin C tablets
4. Dairy products (Fresh, powdered milk, cheese, yoghurt), Milo, Soya, Goat, Coconut milk
5. Do not take too much Carbohydrates (rice, noodles, bread, ice-cream and biscuits)
6. Tangkwei, All types of Ginseng and red dates

TAKE MORE FRUITS & VEGETABLES

When I first saw the list, I looked at my gynae and say "Like that I got nothing to eat!"

Items 1-4 causes bloated stomach, making us feel like puking.
Item 5 makes us put on unnecessary weight which doesn't all go to baby.
Item 6 causes blood vessels to open too much or something, so will have risk of bleeding.

I switched to horlicks for breakfast. Sometimes I still drink teh-si but i limit myself to 1 cup only. So if today I can't resist and had 1 teh-si & 1 lemon tea, next day no tea. My frd had ice-cold coke everyday during preg coz of craving but limit to 1 cup per day. Her bb turned out well. So i guess everything in moderation bah...

I avoided all raw food, half-cooked food (incl. half-boiled eggs), sashimi and stingray. Raw veg also avoided if I could help it coz duno outside wash clean or not. And though this sounds unusual, i even avoided fresh sugarcane drink coz my ex-colleague's wife had a m/c after drinking it. I think the sugarcane was exposed in storage, duno rat or insects walked past n contaminated it...

oooh i havent heard about ginger before. with #1 i drank ginger drink almost everyday, pre-conception, 2 weeks wait, and 1st trimester! other than morning sickness, i had a smooth 1st trimester.

but ok, i'm going to limit my ginger intake this time round then.

i ate everything during my first pregnancy n had a smooth pregnancy too! except chinese herbs cos i didnt like them anyway. both of my gynaes say can eat anything but in moderation.
happy.gif
but of course i recommend eating at hygienic places!!

tao: you will need to check with your gynae. and some gynae are more pro to VBAC than others.

i remember when i saw my gynae 2 month ago and informed her that i was TTC, she did mention so soon cannot VBAC (my boy going 10 months, 17 months apart). but i am going for c-sect again so no issues.

Xztao, thanks for the website. I have been looking for clothes to flatter my bump!

Tangerinz and Madeline, I have slight MS this time, and what really works for me now is FROZEN grapes.... Feel perked up everytime haha. Heard that frozen bananas are great too. Got it from researching on internet on how to make it thru the day with MS.

Sighz, today checked at polyclinic, my blood pressure still quite elevated and I was referred to to KKH for further appts. Why????
I am young, underweight, and have no family history. This is such a mystery.

not superwoman, thanks for sharing the tips on frozen grapes. i will try that.
as for bananas, perhaps you already know, but do not eat too much del monte type of bananas. the chinese believe it is too cooling and should not be taken during pregnancy (just like we will not feed babies with del monte).

pregnancy does the strangest thing to our bodies. hai... i hope it's not serious. want to consider buying a blood pressure measuring machine and test at home? maybe you are only stressed when going to doctors.

blood pressure will also go up if u are gan cheong.. this always happens to me at gynae visit.. haha cant help it de..

btw do all of you have MS that will make u all puke things out? so far i ve been feeling super nausea and stomach uncomfy, just that nth seems to be able to puke out..

Hi mtbs,
I have been a silent reader since the start of this thread.
As for calculating the edd, is it count by the 1st day of my last menses? I have started spotting last fri evening then gradually become dark brownish discharge until today. I have jabbed 100mg progestrone last sat & increased dosage of utrogestan (2pills/3 times a day) but still have the dark brown discharge. Went to see gynae today & checked but couldn't pinpoint where the discharge come from & was told it might be old blood.. scanned but couldn't see properly the sac but doc said its seem to be there. Given 2 choice, to do bhcg again to cfm variable pregnancy or come back next mon for scan again. If count the 1st day of last menses is correct then im 5w6d now..anyone have similar encounter? Is it too early to spot the sac?
Btw, the only sympton i get is tiredness & tummy cramps at times & oso felt heavy on lower pelvic when lying sideways.. i felt abit nausea last 2 wks but stop le... felt twice dizzy these days only.. dunno normal or not...

Not superwoman. How much is your blood prpressure?

Bb- what youre experiencing is normal also. U may want to do bhcg as the level should double every 48 hrs.

Having another scan next weeks sounds logical also cos it be maybe too early to spot anything.

So stressed the whole afternoon at work with boss chasing me to submit "Travel Approval Form" and plan the agenda for the upcoming biz trip. Then meanwhile I am just trying to delay cos don't dare to tell her yet but really don't wish to go biz trip this time round!

Anyway I have a performance review meeting tmr morning with boss so will tell her in private tmr. Just hope the workday ends quickly today and let me scoot off for the day first!

Oh Btw I feel no symptoms at all now, strange huh? Just feel more hungry than normal

Hi all mummies, do you experience MS during pregnancy? I'm in my 5 weeks but still no sign. Is it a bad sign? I'm eating a lot more than my usual.

My first blood pressure measurement was 145/99! But I was feeling v sick that day, so that was most likely the cause. And yesterday ( not nervous at all, after waiting 2 hrs) was slightly better 135/89, still slightly elevated. At this stage of pregnancy should be below 120/80, so everyone should also watch out... Anything higher at any stage is cause for concern and make sure your gynae also monitors closely.

Tangerinz, oh, cannot eat bananas? Haha, those ang mo websites. But I am now so addicted to frozen fruits, no need to eat ice cream anymore. Sounds healthy right?

Good mornings mummies, I saw BFP this morning. its my 5th week. so exciting. After months of trying. This is baby #2.

not superwoman, cannot eat the big bananas can only eat small ones.

tracy, not necessary to experience MS during pregnancy. no MS is good actually. :p

congrats to Anne Raj!

Anne, yes. Just confirmed with my sinseh last friday, Urine test still negative. Will test again this Friday and saturday will see Gyane. We are same, I am about +/-5 weeks
happy.gif
happy.gif
EDD is end Sep or early Oct. Will join in once I see my gynae and confirm my EDD
happy.gif
happy.gif
We are pregnant buddies again
happy.gif
happy.gif

Sticky babies for us okay
happy.gif
happy.gif

Stefie: yahoooo!!! so exciting...my edd is end Sept, oh yes!!! sticky babies!!! All thes best darling!!!

wow!!! so many updates!! thanks everyone!
OMG just read from one of the replys that we cant have spicy food?? i have been eating spicy almost everyday!!! no spicy = boring life! lolz.
n i just bought yogurt.. cant drink milk? how we getting all the calcium we need?? hmmmm..

i've been getting the dizzy spells but no MS yet.. hopfully i dun get any!! i will be going to Dr Lawrence Ang at Sembawang this fri!
n yes viiv, this is my first preg n i'm super excited n worried at the same time! lolz. i think i was only 5 weeks when i first drop by the gynae opp my house.

kakumi, calcium not necessary from milk. alternatively can take calcium pills. seek gynae's approval first tho for the first 3 months. i cant take fresh milk anyway so intend to take calcium pills from 2nd trimester onwards. also will go about asking what food to eat so can have milk for baby! :p

Kakumi>> Actually, it's ok to take spicy food, oily food, citrus foods during pregnancy, provided your body doesn't react adversely to it. For such foods, they may cause stomach discomfort in some (not all) preggies. Also, as you progress along your pregnancy, you are likely to suffer from heartburn. With heartburn, spicy or citrus foods will make you feel worse.

But the part about carbohydrate is correct. Eating too much carbo may make you gain unnecessary weight, which may not go to the baby.

Basically, just eat everything moderation, but avoid raw / undercooked food and herbs.

Madeleine - ohh.. okie.. thanks for the info!.. but heard from my boss, can't take to much calcium pills too.. cos without exercise, calcium that are not adsorbed will not be passed out n it will turn to "stones", which is not good for the body.. hmm.. i think i better check with my gynae when i visit him today. LOL

Anastasia - hmmm.. bb no complain at the moment. LOL.. n i keep having the crave to eat meat! lolz.
hmm.. heartburn? what is that??
ohh.. i love to eat rice! hmmm.. should cut down on it then!

Regarding calcium turning into stones... - no worries. excess calcium will be passed out in urine... it will not turn into stones as mentioned.

Unless the person taking it is drinking very little water and not passing enough urine. As long as healthy individual is drinking enough water and passing urine normally. it is not a problem.

=)

Welcome Anne Raj... how old is your #1?

Hi Mummies

I have a pre-loved Pigeon Multi-function Sterilizer which is still in good condition.

I am selling at $40. Cash and carry from Buangkok.

Interested mummies, please email me.

Thanks

My team just had a re-organization announced today and I'm assigned to a role that requires traveling, and in my boss' words "not alot but substantial traveling". So I took the chance to inform my boss that I'm expecting and definitely cannot go for the upcoming trip in 2 weeks time as it is still within first trimester.

Hmmm but frankly in my heart, even after past the first trimester, I doubt I really wish to travel for work? Haiz. Don't worry so much for now, guess take things one step at a time!

Ohh can i ask if anyone is having problems lying in bed already? I lie flat/full side i feel so uncomfortable... only when its a half side it feels ok... Am i the only one feeling this?

Anastasia : Ooo ok I better start asking them coz I will definitely need one as my parents and parents-in-law are too old to do this. Noted on the ginseng and dang gui. I was asking coz last weekend I had fish steamboat and didn’t know they added dang gui in it so I freaked out! Luckily no spotting or bleeding but am looking forward to my 2nd check nxt week for peace of mind…..

Viiv : what did your boss say now that you’ve told him? Hope he is understanding and re-assigns the job!

Fel : oops I thought CL is for 4 mths… silly me…. Was thinking its gonna be tough on the wallet….

Tracy : You’re so lucky you don’t have MS… ! 

Anne : welcome and congrats too 

May of us have healthy and smooth pregnancy 

viiv - what your boss say?? hope he's understanding!!

oh my.. forgot i need to cut down on my rice intake.. soo full after lunch.. how nice if i can just lie on my bed.. hehee~

confused - hmmm.. i dun have any probs lying in bed yet.. just the constant bloated feeling! esp after meals.. so bloated tat i feel my back is aching!

confused: dang gui in fish steamboat should be fine cos quite small amount.

later on through the pregnancy, it will be good to lie on your left side. this promotes better blood circulation and the placenta can transport more nutrients to the baby.

viiv: try to find a gynae that is kind enough to issue you a letter to say you are not fit to travel (which means of cos you will need to give up personal trips too)

Madeleine, I read from a website that Morning sickness is believed to be an evolved trait that protects the fetus against toxins ingested by the mother. Women who have no morning sickness are more likely to miscarry. So was wondering if no MS, is it good or not. So far, I’ve been very good appetite (just like rubbish bin) finish all my food. And I like spicy food now (last time can’t take spice at all)

Confused, I have problem too. Having backache. Lie on back, it aches. When lies on side, I got cramps. now i place a little cushion to support my back when i lie on my back. So still manage to sleep.

my tummy starting to show a little though just 5 weeks. Am I eating too much or it's normal? And I'm having a bit of outbreak.
sad.gif

Hi All,

I am a first-time mummy. I went to my gynae when I first realised I am pregnant about 2 weeks ago. At that point, I did not really research on anything so I just went to a random gynae and I was 5 weeks pregnant. Now into my 8th week, I am just wondering if it will be advisable to change gynae after the first trimester?

Anyone with recommendations on gynaes as well as packages available?

Confused First-timer - I feel uncomfortable basically in the same positions as you... only when its a half side it feels ok. Then when the past few days when I had the gastric pain kicking in, sleeping and sitting positions can kinda of worsen it.

tracy, dont worry about morning sickness. some women have to hug the bowl and cant go to work, some women throw up whatever they put in mouth and so what kind of toxins did they take? cant eat anything at all lehz. so dont think that sentence is true. And so ya, no morning sickness is good. and of course you will not miscarry. communicate with you baby even tho its a small beanie now that it will be a strong and healthy baby.
happy.gif

and good for you that you have good appetite. i get full easily so i have to watch the food i order.
happy.gif

Regarding spicy food, old wive tales says that crave salty or spicy=boy, crave sweets = girls =p

Perhaps we should do a poll about our food cravings and see how true it is when we know the gender? Hehe

I defenitely crave SPICY

Thum mum to be,

Where do you live and where do you want to deliver? These arethe factors that you need to consider when choosing gynae. Of course, budget too. Some gynae package cost over $1000, others only $600.

Thanks Madeleine. I was so worried after I read the article cos I have no sign of MS till now. Hopefully it's a good thing.

Cecilia, I took out all my clothes that I can wear now and place them in order so I can wear it from now till I can't wear them. My colleagues can't guess yet, think I cover it well. But keep running toilet every half an hour and it keeps them wondering.

Superwoman, food cravings determine gender of baby? Really? actually i crave for spicy food for lunch, for tea break, i would have juice, hot chocolate or cakes. But I do love eating meat lately.

i just bought a bunch of sexy tight dresses so i'm wearing them very frequently now to make the most out of them before i can no longer squeeze into them.

re food cravings: i am usually a meat lover. in 1st trimester i hated meat. took mostly veg. this means girl. from 2nd trimester onwards i craved sweet stuff. desserts everyday. this means girl.

i gave birth to a boy. LOL

Tange, I also bought my cny clothes in Dec before knowing. So I have to start wearing them too... Dunno if I can still fit into them after giving birth.

Tangerines, you better don't wear tight dresses, no good for growing baby.

Really food craving can determine the bb gender?
I craved for too much food - French fries, potato chips, chee chong fan, ban mian, fried chicken.

My first 4-5 weeks, I have an increased in appetite. Now 8wks, appetite shrunk.
sad.gif

lawrence ang's pkg very cheap $550 from 12 weeks onwards. i like him but he took too long to respond to my delivery. i was super ready to push but he didn't arrive. i like him though.

re: morning sickness. you definitely dont wanna be like me! i vomited at least 3 times a day till the day i gave birth!

Hi all

I felt constant giddiness at abt week 4. Bought a kit and tested positive. I had spotting at week 5.

I just went to my gynae yesterday for 1st scan. Everything seems normal. I'm at 7 weeks and EDD on 4th Sept.

I'm really worried coz I was taking anti-fungal medication just when I was conceiving and I'm worried that it'll have effects on the baby. My gynae will be researching on this and advice me accordingly on my next visit.

My 1st is turning 6 in March and she had a hard time accepting the news of my pregnancy, saying soon, she'll not be my #1.

Because my 1st pregnancy was a breeze, this one is kinda like a nightmare. I have MS and appetite decreases.

Totally feel like a wreck.

Back