(2013/09) September 2013

Is it better to get a playpen or a cot? Some colleagues told me that Playpen is easier to move around while another colleague told me playpen is too flimsy and so better to get a proper baby cot

A playpen with a bassinet insert works just as well for a baby under 4mths-6mths. After that, you probably need to remove the bassinet and put her to sleep at the lowest level. This depends on the activity/mobility level of the child cos the more agile ones may start to try leaning over the edge in a bassinet (like mine!!)

I started off with a playpen for #1. She was an agile monkey LOL. And I was never very successful in putting her down to sleep awake and at 4-6 mths she was still waking up a few times a night. I switched to a cot after that cos basically my back just couldn't take bending up and down the full playpen depth with her a few times a night. I've got friends whose babies can sleep independently so the playpen works for them.

So the answer is.... it depends on your kid.. LOL

BTW, the playpen is not really flimsy. It's designed for play
happy.gif

Hi Mommies,

Cordlife is having promotion for the whole month of June. Do PM me if you are looking for a referral. Each of us will get $150 shopping vouchers.

Thanks.

Hi Mitchelle and Ee, if u keen to find out more I Can pass u th contact of cordlife consultant who is approachable and helpful in answering ur queries and can come to ur door step at ur convenience. Keen pm me or whatapps at 93853738

Hi Mitchelle and Ee, if u keen to find out more I Can pass u th contact of cordlife consultant who is approachable and helpful in answering ur queries and can come to ur door step at ur convenience. Keen pm me or whatapps at 93853738

Hi mommies-to-be,

I'm opening up a small PO for confinement shampoo and shower gel. These are handmade with natural ingredients and it is SLS-free!

Shampoo and shower gel suitable for pregnant ladies and young babies, which are SLS-free, are also available.

Limited to 50 bottles for the first PO. ETA: Last week of July.

Please visit http://holistique.webs.com/naturally-warming-range for more information.

Hi Suresh,

Can let us know the name of the nanny PEM assigned to you for your first child? Would be more helpful that way too if we know who are the good ones. I have also heard both good and bad reviews about PEM from other mummies on the board.

Hi Mr Suresh,

You must really have a very good experience with the nanny that PEM sent you; all your posts here so far and on other threads are all on PEM and also speaking of the same thing. Even the hospital your wife will be delivering at is PEM confinement agency...

Really, please do let us know the name of the nanny who looked after your #1 so that the interested mummies can request for her by name if they wish to.

My job so stressful lately and co is not dat Work Fair Balance as per wat government is promoting on TV and they even showed a pregnant lady... Cant wait to quit aft 4 months confinement. No wonder i seen so many colleagues do such for last few yrs, plenty of time to find better job, have better prospect then we can raise our child properly.

Glad my gynae visit yesterday is ok, baby at 1.2kg, my EDD mid Sept

Gemini...

*hugs* just a few more weeks to go. Not many companies in Singapore have work-life balance; it's just not the culture yet.

Glad that your bb is growing well! I've got 9 more weeks to go, woooot!

Hi mummies,
Been absent for a while after back from BKK had back to back work commitments. Just wondering did anyone sign up for the AIA/ AXA insurance that covers pregnancy complication and baby's congenitial disease? I am still thinking about the cord life banking too... Can anyone advice me please?

Btw do you guys think is better to engage post natal from a reliable spa or can trust freelancers? I am now considering baby bellies. Hope all of you are well, anyone attending mrs Wong boh boi's CBE class?

gemini, hugs.. Jiayou on finding new job later. Bear with it for now to get your ML.. hehe..

Minnie, I have just signed up for AXA insurance. It comes with a life insurance that can be transferred to baby once he/she is born. The insurance for congenital disease and pregnancy complication is $360, valid for 3 years. That means if your baby is hospitalized before 3 years old due to HFMD (for example and enters NICU or HDU), you will get $100 a day.

I found for me since usually mine is a very low risk pregnancy and my age is very young, I might not utilize it. But then, $360 for 3 years meaning $10 a month so I might as well take it because it is anyway an insurance, to help you bear the cost if anything happens.

As for the investment link plan that comes with it, I signed up the one $1200 a year, I think can only get back the money (the invested money) with interest after 25 or 30 years but as mentioned it is an insurance too..
If you are thinking of short-term gain I think you shouldn't take the plan.

My agent said compare to prudential, AXA has more coverage.

But then, tongue tie also not included though..
If you want I can recommend you my agent, an independent financial adviser. Just PM me..

For cord banking, in the end I will choose Stemcord again as it is my 3rd child and the agent want to give me a very good deal because my 1st and 2nd is in Stemcord.

Gene,

Try hot honey with fresh lemon juice to soothe the throat. It works for me. Also are you heaty lately? Generally, 3rd trimester tends to be heaty so ease up on the heaty stuff. I'm also getting a little phelgmy these days.

Minnie,

I think some of the spas have trial massages for prenatal. Maybe you can try to see the "standard". I'll be going with my usual massage lady - know her very long liao so sticking with her..

HI everyone,
My Edd is on 28/09. Im sourcing for massage lady after delivery. Any suggestions and recommendations? Thanks.

Hi, I'm a first time mummy as well. My EDD is on 20th of sept. have engaged my post natal massage lady from www.originsjamumassage.com! I bought the 7 day package at $598 (as they were having promotions back then). Good thing about the massage place, it's NETT pricing and they have their own oils and binder. Heard that I must wear the binder for 6-10hours if possible. But at least min. 6 hours.

Wonder how can I do it as I intend to breastfeed my baby girl. But being vain, TOLERATE! Hahaha!! I did a review on the products that I got as well to use during confinement. Can read more at: evettegoh.blogspot.sg

Evette - I will wear the binder for 23 hrs for best effect... Will remove one hr before massage lady comes to shower... Then she come massage n bind back... =)

I'm planning to use Mdm Layla as recommended by other forum mummies. Will be trying out her prenatal massage first this sat and if good, will sign up for her postnatal services.

Can I know what sort of binding did u all use or will be using? During my previous confinement, i used the corset type binder that had strings in front.

fel - you are good! managed to wear for so long! Did it help you to get back to shape faster?

Evette - I bind for around 6 hours last time, realised it not so effective...heard recommended to bind for whole day like what fel did and for 1 month at least.

I believe most of us are all in our third trimester already. For those who have decided not to privately save and bank your baby's cord blood.

I urge your to donate to Singapore Cord Blood Bank. It's free of charge.

Can read more information at http://www.scbb.com.sg/contactus/Pages/Home.aspx

Donating means it has the potential to help save a life. Especially for Leukaemia and lymphoma patients.

Cause if you're not gonna privately save the cord blood, it will be discarded upon birth, which is such a waste cos it can be used to help someone in need instead...

Think of it as doing good deed for your baby... =)

For Cord Blood Donation
Expectant mothers and their spouses who are interested to donate their baby’s cord blood after birth; should speak with their ObGyn (Delivering Physician) from 28 – 32 weeks of gestation.

Alternatively, they may wish to contact SCBB directly at 6394-5012 or [email protected] after 32 weeks of gestation to complete the Donation Process i.e. sign the Informed Consent and complete the Medical History Questionnaire.

Operating Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday: Strictly by Appointment Only

E_L,

I bought a girdle from Wink
happy.gif
There are people selling it on the forum. You can google Wink shapewear for more info. It's medical grade.

But if you are using the Jamu massage, the massage ladies usually sell the cloth binder. It's a looooong piece of cotton cloth. I prefer to buy and wash my own for hygiene purposes. Some just borrow from the massage lady instead.

Fel,

You can tahan 23 Hrs, peifu.... I could only tong 6 hrs and then can't take the itch liao lol....

This time gg to bind for as long as I can take it (longer than 6 hrs I hope) then wear the wink,,,

Weiwei- by the 4th and 5th day I buay tahan Liao. Keep telling my husband I wanna remove... Then he tell me I'm wasting money... Ask me to LUN!!!

For the cloth binder, can be bought from Java island (Indonesia).. haha..

Based on my own experience:
1) must hand wash the cloth binder, do not put in washing machine
2) I used to put stretchy wrap on top of the cloth binder, the one with Velcro. But then realize this is not so effective too! The most effective is the traditional tummy wrap on top of the cloth binder (In Indonesia we call it Gurita). For my #1 I use that and very effective, for my #2 I didn't use that in turns still have big tummy
sad.gif

Btw, must bind since Day 1 as well. I think I was late in binding too, that is why for my #2 I still have tummy

Groovy: a bit of challenge to bind since day 1, since will be in hospital.... unless we buy girdle to wear first until we get home and the massage lady comes.

Maybe i should go get a girdle first, but not sure what size to buy cos tummy so big now and by then, how to measure?

Fel - bind for 23 hours! Omg!! I salute you! Hahaha!! But like what my hus say: girls are vain. Cfm will tolerate!

For me now, just preparing for birth as I'm gonna be a FT mummy. I have no one to help me, so I'm on my own. But I know it's all worth it! Baby girl's gonna have my sole teachings. Not going to spoil her, cause I want her to know that to get things in life, she has to work for it. Mummy and daddy didnt have it easy, so it's gonna be the same for her

Call me cruel, cause technically, hus can provide for her. But spare the rod, spoil the child! Good luck mummies for birth in sept!!
happy.gif

Evette - I agree with u! And bravo for being at FTM! I tried for abt a yr and gave up.

The advertising on this thread is getting a bit irritating....

We shld all be in 3rd trimester now, so can still take bird nest and chicken essence? The baby fair last week was so disappointing.... I will be taking a short trip this week, so looking forward. Has been terribly busy with work

I cant sleep well these days. Will wake up couple of times to go toilet or kept tossing due to bad backaches.

And it irritates me even more to see adverts here raving abt a certain company.

Gene...Me too...cannot sleep well lately due to bad backaches. Getting so hard to turn from side to side. Only coming 30 weeks n it's so bad already.

With all these ads about a certain company, really makes me wonder if they are desperate for business...and I signed up with them already
sad.gif

Back