(2013/07) July 2013

Hi mummies, sorry to interrupt. If you are going to the SmartKids Asia 2013, you can win a goodie bag from my blog. The queue to collect one of the 1500 bags is very long, so if you win one, you won't have to queue and can go straight in.
happy.gif

http://growingwiththetans.com/2013/03/06/smartkids-asia-2013-goodie-bag-giveaway/

Clara: Me too, I only got a sterilizer during the expo fair. Husband doesn't allow me to buy anything else. So far, we've been checking out strollers and car seats and cots, but have not put down any money because these are big items which will take up space (staying with in-laws, so very cramped). Will only buy when baby arrives. Must control for clothes and diapers too, because people might gift during baby shower
happy.gif

Just curious, is massage lady necessary? Any mummies slim down tummy successfully without help from massage lady? Can just do exercise and eat healthy?

coolbeans: did u get philips sterilizer from the baby fair? which car seat r u looking at? seems like its quite limited choice for new borns...

thanks Lina!
happy.gif
i totally forgotten bout massage ladies though its often mentioned in forums... haha!

Carly- I have a good massage lady to recommend, Singaporean Chinese. You can call her at 97669392. I have engaged her during my #2 time, I have managed to slim down to my pre pregnancy weight within 3mths.

Clara: Yes, I got the Phillips one. Thought the bundle was quite attractive, and we liked the colour so just buy lor. Heehee.

For car seat, I really like the design and colors for Aprica ones but the price also very nice! :p more suitable for our budget will be the one from Inglesina that will accommodate newborn baby to 18kg toddler. I know that the same model is going for $269 at Taka Baby Fair, which is $10 cheaper than Baby Hypermart. Might consider getting a 2nd hand one so not going to buy so soon.

Hi Lina,

I have submitted application at little Skool house at ocbc center. Hubby is a staff at the bank so we enjoy good rates.

Same like ur case, not cfm yet but shouldn't be an issue to get in

Hoping to switch jobs to raffles place after my confinement as well.

Anyway! To all mummies. Phillips is having carnival sales from 23-24 mar.

Morning mummies,

Besides taka fair, there s another bb fair at expo during end mar. I wonder if it's similar to e earlier expo fair. Tot of getting a Combi baby pram

Hi Ling! Which model are you looking at?

My husband and I are thinking of getting a Combi pram too
happy.gif
We like the Well Comfort because of its weight. It's going for $359 at Baby Hypermart. Wondering if there are better prices out there?

Hello mummies..
I'm now at tmc waiting for my turn to do the detailed scan..it's been such a looooong wait.. it doesn't help that I'm thinking about food now!! Arghs!

Hey Belladee, how long did your scan take? I'm scheduled to go for mine on Wednesday. Must go on empty stomach? Or hungry because wait too long? ;)

Ling: Local importer for Combi stroller is called Tai Seng, if I remember correctly. Can go to their office to take a look.

Coolbeans: i just had my detailed scan this morning. my detailed scan took about an hour.. it depends on the baby whether he is cooperative or not as they need to take quite a number of measurements for different areas. Waiting time for me is about an hour as well, might b because i reached early..

don't need to go on empty stomach and no need to fill bladder..
happy.gif

babylove2: i'm on waiting list for IFC.. Queue 50+.. that person say chance is quite slim ..
sad.gif
I tot i was kiasu to ask so early but i think i'm wrong.. If i don't queue now, i might not be able to get a slot when i need to go back to work after maternity leave. haha! what bout u? have u sign up for IFC?

Hi Clara Clara,

I was straight away told that the IFC is not taking in anymore for this year at TPY area. Was quite disheartening upon hearing it.

In the end, we enrolled at ocbc center little Skool house. More ex but we had a good deal. Not com yet but outcome will be known next 1-2 months. Waiting q not as long as others.

Hello coolbeans..
hehe..no worries. Can eat before doing the scan. I was a tad late. Plus it was a sat. So waiting time was a lot longer. My bb wasn't cooperative. The sonographer tried very hard to take a side profile pic of the bb but couldn't. Had to turn to the left, right, left, right a few times. Finally got the pic for a fleeting moment and then bb turned back to its original uncooperative position again. But my first bb was very fast. Everything went smoothly n waiting time wasn't so long coz it was a weekday.
Have fun meeting your bb on weds!

Angie: I tried the bottles. Not very good I feel, esp the bottle teats. The odd shape makes cleaning challenging oso, plus the brush provided isn't very useful.

Clara Clara,
waiting list already? oh no. didn't know it's so competitive out there. we planned to register in June/ July.. but I guess we gotta consider the queue too!

Atiqah: Yup waiting list.. initially don't have the intention to rehister first.. Only asked hubby to find out more about the IFC at his office building but turns out it's full and we have to put on waiting list. Since that's the case we just give them our particulars to put on the waiting list.

I was deciding between IFC and nanny and decided not to repeat the mistake I made during #1's time so decided strongly to engage private nanny for #2.

Pros of IFC:
1. Schedules of baby's routine are constantly being recorded (no. of poo/urine, consistency of poo, time of milk feeds/amount of milk feed/no. of naps etc)
2. Can be paid via CDA ($1-$1 benefits, equivalent to paying half the price after subsidy for the 1st 18 mths)
3. Channel for complaints and feedback
4. Language teaching and motor developments being monitored

Cons of IFC:
1. Baby will definitely be exposed to more virus since the ratio will be 1:5 and they are usually located in the same premises with the childcare or, teachers from childcare are accessible to the IFC as well even if its at different area.
2. Not all teachers are certified. According to exp from #1's time, out of the 3 teachers, only 1 is certified. The other 2 are usually assistant teachers who are usually aunties in 30s-50s
3. Timing may not be as flexible - IF you are late, you will be given verbal warning about the late fines.

Pros of Baby Sitter:
1. Ratio is usually lesser say 1:3 or alternatively, opt for 1:1 nanny by paying more
2. Solid foods are home cooked based and you can choose to buy your own ingredients
3. Flexible timing - If you are late, most nannies are fine as long as not too extreme

Cons of baby sitter:
1. Cannot pay with CDA so all must be in cash
2. Solid food is not included in the monthly rate so when baby reaches the stage for porridge, need to top up $50 or alternatively you can provide the ingredients for the nanny to cook
3. Nanny unlike IFC may not be so habitual to record baby's feed schedules/poo/urine etc so you need to monitor the feeding yourself by asking the nanny on the average feeds/amount
4. Nannies are usually housewives so they are not certified but most of them have up to many years of taking care of kids

I was really in a dilemma but after discussing with hubby, we decided to go for private babysitter. My mum has a friend who has been taking care of kids for long long time and we have asked her to help with the taking care of #2 after resuming work from ML. She's 1:1 ratio so I'm pretty pleased. Initially wanted to place #2 at #1 school but the IFC is ridiculous, $1700/month and after subsidy it'll be $900. I'd rather spent that amount of $$ on 1:1 private nanny and plus during #1's time we had really bad exp with the IFC. #1 contracted HFMD when he was only 5mths old in the IFC and the main cause was they let a child from the CC over inside without knowing that that child had HFMD since he is having fever. The school kept denying it saying that the kid did not came into close contact with the babies in the IFC and the virus was probably contacted through the teachers who was around the same area as the kid who had HFMD.

ordolla - i put the child's name as "Not decided yet"
happy.gif

i actually also like kinderland at MND complex, it's near my office. however, fees are really expensive. MFS is at least more affordable. i walked past the infant side a couple of times, and at least the babies r engaged in some sort of activities.

I remember someone asking about the photoshoot. I have just called studio play and confirm. They have another marketing booth in June at Expo. The package I have signed is $168 for the wall art package C $420. Have also ask them to see if they can offer my friends the same package if they sign. Will keep u all inform again.

For those who want to sign up for maternity shoot, I have just confirmed with Bambini, they are able to offer the same promo. I like because the photographer is a female. Below are the offer:

Cheque Book Special Package - $150

Up to 1.5 hour of studio OR outdoor session
Up to 5 people from a family
Six 5R (5” by 7”) photographic prints
Two S8R (8” by 12”) photographic prints
Online Gallery for 7 days

Let me know if you are interested. I will give you the details.

Clara Clara,
thanks for the insights! think we'll have to decide on the centre first.

Ling,
we just had our detailed scan early today at NUH! hope your baby cooperates later this week..
happy.gif

Hello all!
Have been reading the thread and realized that a lot of you have already booked your massage ladies. So early!?!?!

Any good one to recommend? Are these those aunties who will wrap your tummy with herbs and massage? Do they come to our houses or do we have to go to their salons / shops?

I just went for my detailed scan at 21 weeks and am due in Mid July!

How do I join the July FB group; can someone please tell me? Thanks a lot!~
happy.gif

Hi babymoo,
im keen, can send me more details for the maternity PS?

Orangey: I am deciding between hiring a nanny and a maid.. The rates for Nanny is almost comparable to hiring a maid..

blessedmum,
Yup, in terms of cost saving, a maid is definitely a better choice but then when it comes to safety, I'm sure a nanny fits the role better especially when you can hear comments from referrals or she is someone that you know of. I was also discussing with hub about engaging a maid but we both are not comfortable with a stranger staying with us. Also, we do not have additional help to look out on our maid. I wanted to have a maid and probably send my maid and baby over to my grandma's place but because my grandma;s maid is really very good and obedient I am worried should the maid influence her, I'll be creating a big issues among the big family and posing problems for my parents as well.

The better option for me will be having private babysitter though I will compare that having a maid, I have someone to clean my house for me haha.. but oh well~

Sorry, does any1 have any recommendations for customized 3d fondant cake? With gd service, skill n tasty cake.

Preparing for my #1 birthday.
happy.gif

Thank you.

Hi ladies, just did the detailed scan at kkh. Baby is a boy
happy.gif

Maid - hubby & i r not comfortable w having stranger in the house long term as well. Hence, ever since i was preggy w #1, we engaged once a week domestic help to do chores. So far, the arrangement works out well, the helper is thorough & clean.

hi all, I am new here. This is my #1 and my EDD is on 21 July. Is it too late now to look for confinement lady? Is kinda last minute decision. Anyone has contact?

Abby,
You want fondant cake? Personal experience, they are too sweet and alot of the guests won't be eating the fondant area. I was about to order the fondant cake for my #1's 1st birthday party when I had the stop from hub and my mum so I searched around and decided to engage Pine Garden instead.
We had a 2-tier cake. Top layer was for the kids so its non alcoholic while the bottom layer was for the guests so I chose Lychee Martini
happy.gif

It's not so costly. I ordered 2kg for $107 excluding the toppers.

Orangey: I have been ordering fondant cake since her 1st bday except her 2nd. Cos each year diff cartoon character. But all not very nice, the taste n texture of cake inside. Yup we do not eat the fondant at all.

So your kid's cake use toppers only?

Abby: I gotten cakes from Pine Garden before; I think it would depend on if they have the toppers available. Previously, I wanna a 3 tier cake with care bear toppers; they do not have the toppers, so i need to get them myself. So far we find their cakes quite nice in terms of taste..

Monster: will u be engaging a CL for your confinement? I find reading books are not very useful; it would be more effective learning from the CL with a real baby. Then once u have gotten the hang of it, google online for specific issues like eating, illness etc.
happy.gif

Orangey, WOW, ur comparison is very detailed leh. I dun blame you for 'condemning' ifc cos of your #1's bad experience. Btw, how come your IFC fees so expensive at $1.7K??? Issit some pretigious cc??

For me, my #1 is in IFC (Sparkletots) since 4 mths. I must say i am very lucky cos I feel the teachers there are very caring. Althou the max ratio is 1 teacher to 5 babies, in reality, the ifc cannot cope with just 2 teachers taking care of 10 babies. My ctr has abt 8-10 babies at any one time and they have 4 full time teachers + 1 assistant teacher. I agreed with you that the teachers may not be really qualified but at least i can tell they really took good care of my baby. I do agreed that some of the teachers are just 'doing their work' and not really passionate kind, but as long as they dun abuse my baby and is hygienic, we are okay. They are very conscientious about temp taking too. They will take temp before i hand the baby over and will call me for every small thing, like baby viomitting, fingers swollen due to insect bites and even finding a small spot on my baby's body, to ask me to fetch baby home to see doc for fear of HFMD, etc. I also agreed with you that there is always a issue of rushing to pick baby up before 7pm.

But despite all the cons, we are still intending to send #2 to IFC. We feel that a nanny is 1:1 and there is a issue of not knowing what the nanny has done to the baby (unless it is really someone we trust totally). At least in ifc, there are so many pairs of eyes, the teachers would watch one another. We also like it that in ifc, the teachers and babies are multi-racial so my baby get used to around people of different races and she enjoyed the interaction with the other babies. I also feel that in ifc, becos there are so many babies, no one can pamper my baby and she got equal treatment as every other baby. With a nanny, dun think we would be putting our babies for long term cos by the 2nd/3rd year onwards, we may want to enrol her in some kind of cc and we are worried that by that time, may have difficulties getting a vacancy at cc.

Anyway, that is our plans as of now. We hope everything goes well, else, we may need to explore other options when the time comes..
happy.gif

Felixp, I share the same sentiments as you..

I was weighing between IFC and nanny for #1. I was told by my friend that her son does nothing at home with the nanny. Nanny will let him watch tv, feed him, then put him to bed for nap. Sometimes the nanny will even bring the kid outside to do marketing..

Because of this, I chose the IFC instead because their programe is much more structured. At least they engage the infants in activities such as hand painting, art & craft and bring them to the playground. They also trained my #1 to hold his own milk bottle and to crawl and walk. I can really tell the difference between a "home kid" and an "IFC kid". IFC kids are more sociable and interactive.

Of course, there are always black sheeps in the industry. Research and recommendations from friends are very important when choosing IFC. What I did was to go down to the IFC several times and observe how the teachers handle the infants.

For me, I placed my #1 with a nanny 1:1 instead of IFC because for young infant, my priority was one to one care, more than stimulation. The good thing is I managed to find a nanny I could trust and of cos there are times when she will do things her own way. I close one eye as long as its not compromising safety or hygiene of my girl. My girl was very hard to bottle feed cos she always wanted to latch, so thankfully nanny was very patient to keep through bottle. Then when #1 turned 2 yrs, I placed her in 2 hour playgroup and the nanny helps me pick up. So far so good and we are happy. The nanny has also been very gracious and flexible to suit our timing whenever we work late. Help wise also wasn't compromised.
We will put #2 with the same nanny and then #1 goes to full day CC.

Having said all these, we were blessed cos we could find a good nanny. If not, IFC would be my choice still.

Back