(2013/07) July 2013

TT,
Just saw you asking about Gynae from KKH. I am under Prof Han HC - My sister is under him too. Very humorous doctor but he is those fast fast type but when you need to talk to him, he will listen
happy.gif
He is also available at the AMK KKH Clinic if you stay in the North area. It's my first time under him as well, my prev gynae moved to TMC and his charges are too expensive! No package somemore so I just went for my sis recommendation. Prof Han delivered my 2 nieces
happy.gif

hi all,
i am 6 weeks and 2 days preg.
edd shd be 17th July 2013. same mth as my no 1 who is 5 yo this year.

has a scare last evening, got bleeding.
no 1 also got stain, but is brown in colour. but this time roud is pinkish to red in colour.
went see gynae early in the morning and got a jab and "an tai" pills. gynae ordered bed rest but i can take leave today.
hb is so angry. trying to slow down my patch and walk real slowly.

i am seeing Dr Kowa at Mt E and will be delivering there.

Halo mummies..
congrats to u all!!
Actuali i came to this thread to congrats Berries!!! Your Korea trip reali gave u a surprise leh.. congrats congrats. Can share the bb dust with me hehe?

Hi,

Anyone MS getting bad? i think mine is getting bad to worse. Eat what vomit what! My gyn advises MS will get worsen between 7wks to 10wks.

How I wish time can pass faster! I just want to get over the 1st trimester!

Rainbow, yupz. Prior to that he did ask whether I experienced any spotting and how long is the trip. As I wasn't experiencing any spotting and its a short getaway to Bali so he allowed. My hubby even ask whether massage is allowed, gynae mentioned hv to let masseuse know in advance, and can't do massage on tummy.

MS really will get worse? I have been vomitting for the past 3 wks. It has been mentally and physically tired. I can't focus to do anything. Not even my fav show or food. Nothing! I have been telling myself to be strong and it's only a passing phrase. All the MS is telling me that my bb is doing well. It has been an emotional roller coaster.

I just went to visit the Gynae, currently at 7wks+. We were in awe when we saw the little beanie and heard the heartbeat, it was absolutely amazing
happy.gif

Hi Chocz, we share the same EDD on 7jul!
happy.gif

We booked a trip to Hanoi b4 I conceived... Supposed to travel in early dec. My Gynae also advised not to travel in the 1st trimester... So we are giving it up. No choice, for the sake for BB! And also my hubby is the "play-safe" kind. Haha. Defi the trip have to be cancelled! But we are looking forward to Bangkok trip in mid-jan (which was also booked long b4).

My Gynae is frm TMC- Dr Joycelyn Wong: a nice lady, patient in explaining things and very assuring. But downside is the long wait. My appt is 3pm, by the time we went in was 4pm. Her charges are also on the high side.
First consultation: $168
Ultrasound: $68

I am comparing to Dr K.C Yeo, also from TMC. We saw him once while TTC, I did an ultrasound and bought a termometer to take my Basel temp. Aft 3 mths, I got pregnant naturally! Haha. Kinda wasted effort but we were SO ELATED!
When I conceived, naturally we went bk to him to cfm my pregnancy.
Consultation: $90
Ultrasound: $40
He is also good... An old gentleman, quite humorous, also patient in answering Qs. Just that we prefer a female Gynae hence the switch.

Hi. I am new here. Just confirmed positive yesterday evening using clear blue. Haha in a shock state though coz nbr knew it happen so fast. Went immediately to gynae to cfm it and I am 5wks 6days preggy! My hubby was so happy and overwhelmed. Can't wait to see our first bb born
happy.gif

"The bottom line is that childbirth is a huge physical act that involves pain for most who experience it. But the pain of labor, it turns out, is important. It is hormonally tied to healthy labor progress. If you take away the pain, you may take away the progress, which requires intervention that can cause harm (and more pain!). Your doc/friend/mother-in-law may be saying, “Don’t be a hero, get the epidural!” But this isn’t about heroics, this is about protecting your body. It may turn out that after hours of labor and every other trick in the bag, an epidural is just what it takes to facilitate the baby’s debut. But research suggests it’s best left as the serious medical intervention it is — taken when really needed.

That’s not to say that women who shoo away the anaesthesiologist don’t need help getting through the pain — massage, a deep warm tub, a shower, hypnosis, and relaxation techniques can all help. Most importantly, you need to be able to move your body. What you don’t need is to be stuck in a situation with access to none of these options, or in a hospital bed with an electronic fetal monitor tying you down and a Syntocinon drip in your vein. Indeed, if you’re pushed, an epidural may be the only way you can get through it. It’s nonsensical to expect a woman to labor without drugs if she’s strapped flat on her back.

That’s why it’s imperative to line up a supportive provider, (a great idea is to include a doula) and atmosphere before labour starts. Women who get this kind of support are more able to stay upright, active, and in control of pushing, and are more likely to have an uncomplicated birth, an intact, uncut vagina, and a speedy recovery."

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/but-i-want-drugs-drugs-in-labour

Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
Feel more secure and cared for
Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
Have greater success with breastfeeding
Have greater self-confidence
Have less postpartum depression
Have lower incidence of abuse
Taken from: http://www.dona.org/mothers/why_use_a_doula.php

Dear mummies,
I am training to be a doula aka professional labour support. As part of my certification, I am required to attend three births. Below are links, which explain what a doula does and how I can help you have a positive birth experience. Do pm me or email me at [email protected] if you have any queries. Looking forward to hear from you. 
www.drmomma.org/2011/05/what-doulas-do.html
www.drmomma.org/2011/04/5-doula-myths-debunked.html

Hey all!

Just tested positive a couple of days ago. Edd should be late July. This is baby #2 for me! My son is 14 mths now. #2 was a result of miscalculated ovulation dates!!

Headache over with Gynae to go now. Don't wanna go back to my previous one because 1) she didn't deliver my son cos she had some "function" that night and 2) I don't like TMC's parking. Everytime go for Gynae check up I'll have to complain about the parking..

Want a female Gynae. Any recommendations?

Oh, pls add me to FB group too!!

Initial I oso wanted a female gynae coz I feel more comfy with ladies but I heard that female gynae more "harsh" and after much consideration and talks with my mothers-friends, they say guy gynae better..as in more gentle..my first gynae check is oso a guy..well still ok coz there is a female nurse around so I don't feel pai sey..

Anyway I won't be gg back to the first gynae that I visited, I changed to another gynae..

Is dr Lawrence ang from Thomson at sun plaza..recommended by my sist in law..as it is relatively cheap..as I stop working after I certified preggy..so $$ issues..don't wanna spent too much and burden my hb
happy.gif

My stomach is super bloated ever since that day when I certify preggy..hehe very miraculous...
happy.gif

How early should we visit the gynae? We didn't want to go too early but also eager to confirm... =p

Tmc doc has alr confirmed the pregnancy n gave me an tai yao. I have been having constipation n headaches. She told me to make different things to drink..

ordolla, some gynaes want to see you as early as 6 weeks while others don't see a need to see you until 10 weeks..

I'm in week 6 now. Only going to my gynae at 10 weeks, after Xmas.

Don't need to waste money going so early cos what you can see is only a bean! Haha.. It'll be more interesting towards the later weeks when you can already see the form of the baby..

morning ladies,

eileen, we have the same edd.
my #1 was born 22 July 2007.
hope this one will be near to her jie jie birth date as well.

mine is a guy gynae, my aunty's gynae. so i din go round searching for one.
and i am very comfy with my gyane. my 2 other sisters and my good friend also having the same gynae. but very ex i shd say.

for me, i go see my gynae when i am in my 5th week gg 6. cos not very young leow. and got history of spotting for no 1. so went early once cfm with preg kit.

last week, got bleeding threat. went to my gyane the very next morning and got a jab and bu yao.

do your gynaes give you MC on your check-ups? for my first bb, I didn't know that my gynae actually gives until my 3rd trimester. so I lugi my annual leave for all the check-ups..

just called another gynae and was told my the receptionist that they don't give MCs.
sad.gif

Hi Ladies! I'm new here! tested positive in late Oct and went for my second gynae visit in mid Nov.. in my 9th week now! EDD 1st July =) Gynae is Dr Eunice Chua from TMC.. she's good!

MS is horrible! Totally don't feel like eating anything and many times ended up with gastric pain =(

Hi Sally, can I join the FB group? will PM you my email address in a while.. Thanks!!

hi tabbyz,
my gynae give mc for check up and time off if we dun need a full day mc.
he is quite generous on his mc.

hi sally,
can i join the fb groups as well?
will pm you my email later.
thanks.

on MS, me feel nausea all day.
taste bud and smell all went flat.
even my purfume now can make me feel very nausea.

""Nicole writes,

“I get questions, all the time from friends, friends of friends and even strangers. They want my thoughts about pregnancy, labor and childbirth. I have spent HOURS talking with women providing answers and information they should be able to get from their prenatal provider/birth attendant. I think to myself at the end of those conversations, “Why isn’t she able to get this information from her? If he doesn’t make her feel special, does not answer her questions, and doesn’t agree with her philosophy on childbirth and labor, why on earth is she allowing him to be her birth attendant?!”

When I pose this question to the women themselves, the answers unfortunately never include “Because I did my research and I found him to be the best match for me and my desired childbirth experience.” Most of the answers I receive fall into the four categories below, none of which are good enough reasons alone to choose a prenatal care provider/birth attendant.”

The four categories that Nicole is referring to are:

1) “She delivered my sister/girlfriend.”
2) “She is my gynecologist.”
3) “He is the best/most popular person in area.”
4) “Her office is so close and convenient to my office/house.”

I have to “second that” to every thing that Nicole writes about in her two posts. I too am flabbergasted at how many women spend more time researching a new car, camera, computer, appliance, or handbag purchase than they do researching their care provider or birth options. I am also floored by many of the women I take care of that seem to have NO IDEA how their doctor or midwife actually thinks, feel, and behaves in a labor & delivery setting. One time, and I am not exaggerating, a woman I was assigned to care for looked up at me after a particularly upsetting encounter with her attending obstetrician (he was very rough with her vaginal exam, was down right pissed off that she refused an amniotomy and an epidural, and stormed out of the room) and said, “Wow, I didn’t realize he was so pushy! He was really rude! I don’t know if I want him to deliver my baby!” I was thinking to myself, “HOW in God’s name are you just figuring out now that he is an asshole?!” (Excuse my language but this particular doctor is a high intervention, low patience physician with the stats to prove it, on top of the fact that he treats nurses like his personal empty-headed gophers…ARG!) Turns out the only research she did to find this doctor was that her cousin went to him and was happy with his services since he agreed to induce her early because she was “sick of being pregnant” (her words, not mine).

Of course there is also the lying phenomenon as well and this is one area where I feel the most sympathy for my patients. That’s right ladies…people LIE and I hope that I am not the first person to tell you that doctors and midwives are people too!! That’s why, as Nicole writes, interviewing potential birth attendants and ASKING FOR THEIR STATISTICS is so important. Someone I know ended up switching her birth attendant at 36 weeks along because it had turned out that he flat out lied about his experience and philosophy regarding VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean). For example, if you have a question about a particular intervention, say episiotomy rate, and the birth attendant you are interviewing either skirts the question or says something vague like, “I only do them when I deem necessary,” I encourage you to ask him for his STATS. You might be surprised at how often he “deems it necessary.” It is also important to note that you cannot make sweeping generalizations about a care provider just by their credentials, that is, not all midwives follow a midwifery model of care and not all obstetricians follow a medical model of care (although by the very nature of their education many of them do). So it is still important to research your birth attendant even if you are planning on choosing a midwife!

Also, I wonder if many women do not research their care providers/birth attendants because they come from generations of women who nodded their heads, smiled, and did exactly everything their doctor told them too regarding their reproductive health. I mean, if a woman’s mother, aunts, and grandmothers didn’t question their doctors, what influence does she have to act any differently? The good news however is that in today’s day in age, unlike our mothers and grandmothers, we have a most wonderful thing called THE INTERNET so you have no excuse."

http://nursingbirth.com/2009/04/26/must-read-blog-“it’s-your-birth-right”/

Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
Feel more secure and cared for
Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
Have greater success with breastfeeding
Have greater self-confidence
Have less postpartum depression
Have lower incidence of abuse
Taken from: http://www.dona.org/mothers/why_use_a_doula.php

Dear mummies,
I am training to be a doula aka professional labour support. As part of my certification, I am required to attend three births. Below are links, which explain what a doula does and how I can help you have a positive birth experience. Do pm me or email me at [email protected] if you have any queries. Looking forward to hear from you. 
www.drmomma.org/2011/05/what-doulas-do.html
www.drmomma.org/2011/04/5-doula-myths-debunked.html

Hi all, I'm expecting #3, edd 15 july but from experience, I should be 1-2 weeks early. I'm with Dr Clifton Chan (Clementi) since #1.

Like babystella, I've been super uncomfortable since my gynae confirmed me... I swear the day before, I was feeling just fine! haha...

Hehe, so nice to meet mummies from the same forum
happy.gif
And wow, you're expecting #3 already!!! If I'm not wrong, Alex is just 1 right?!

Hmm.. We've been telling him many times a day that he will be kor kor soon and he seems happy. The other day he was crying so badly, no matter how I coaxed he just wouldn't stop. However, when I took my ultra-scan and showed him, I told him "Baby asked kor kor not to cry ok?" He stop crying immediately and kissed my ultra scan. Melting moments lah and hopefully he will be a good kor kor
happy.gif

So sweet of Justin... Just spend more time teaching him, and get him more presents from baby!

Alex is turning 18mths in a few days. Clueless about the baby, unlike Angel, who will ask me if I need to see doc everytime she sees that I'm uncomfortable... Enjoy those melting moments!

Dear All,

Ive just signed up for SMO account, very new here.

My EDD is on 22nd July 2013
happy.gif
According to the scan, I am exactly 6 weeks today.

Read earlier messages, seemed alot of mums-to-be are due in mid July 2013.

Ive gone for my 2nd appointment today, can see the heartbeat blinking. Going to see my gynae again 2 weeks later.

Babystella... yeah, Im exactly same as you. Stomache super obvious and bloated the moment Im certified preggy. Gynae said it's gas and bloatedness but how to hide when it's just so bulging? hahaa.. cannot even wear my usual fitted structured office dresses!

Thanks ladies, I thought of going to the gynae later too coz if it's too early, cannot see heartbeat or can only see a dot with heartbeat.. But I guess at least see heartbeat knows that am pregnant for sure? Lol..

Ordolla,
Same here, I called my gynae but was told to wait till at least 7 weeks den can see something. I dun really have any symptoms yet, so ive taken 3 home tests to convince myself I'm pregnant! Can't wait for my appt tmw
happy.gif

E'leen,
Yes, he is being sweet but at times he drives me nuts. Kept insisting he wants to sleep on my tum tum cause he is too used to doing it. My tum tum is his certified pillow! Haha.. Problem is cause he can be rough at times, he can just jump and head down on my tum tum so I told him no more tum tum as pillow and he is really sad. Kept crying and has been having nightmares recently. My sister experiences the same issues w niece #1 when pregnant with niece #2. I guess it takes times for him to adapt.

Ling,
OSCAR is optional and generally if you are below 34, your gynae will most likely not suggest you go for it. I did OSCAR when I was pregnant with my #1 even though gyane said dont need cause 1st pregnancy so just wanna be safe. There is a blood test and scan. I think its $300+ when I paid for it in 2009. You can give a call to check with the hospital. I know they have different packages.

Monster,
Usually it will be folic acid for now but I know some gynae do prescribed prenatal Vitamins. If you want to add on your supplement, can easily buy at your gynae's clinic. Fish oil, iron tablets are usually provided in 2nd trimester.

Monster, I'm taking Folic Acid & Progesterone.

Orangey, you might wanna be careful with your choice of words when telling him no more tum tum as pillow. He might take it negatively that because of baby, he cannot sleep on mummy's tummy again...

Orangey, my #1 is also sitting on my tummy now! And he likes to bounce up and down!
sad.gif

I feel bad to pull him away now that the little bean is inside..

For 2nd time mommies, do you feel guilty towards your #1? This pregnancy is unplanned because I didn't think I could love another person as much as my #1. Now that I have to share my love between the two, I kinda feel bad towards my boy..
sad.gif

morning mummies/mummy to be,

monster,
i went to my gynae when i am only 5 weeks.
i was prescribe with iron and calcium tablet. as for folic acid, i already taking it 3 mths before TTC. so still taking it now.
i bot from unity which is the same as what my gynae giving but so much cheaper.

tabbyz,
this is my 2nd preg and is planned one cos my no 1 ask for a sibling and think she is big enuf to understand. we try to get her involved and she is happily singing song and telling story to the little bean in my tummy.
so no guilt for now.

tabbyz, mummy's heart is always big enough to love all her children! You are bringing a playmate for #1. You gotta think positive in order to teach #1 to be positive and love didi/meimei to come.
happy.gif
My #2 came unplanned when my elder girl was only 5 months and we start telling her about the lil' bubble inside my tummy, read her books on having a new baby in the family. She does understand and soon she is excited about the baby. When she first saw didi in the hospital and the nurse wanted to push didi back to the nursery, she cried and 'scolded' the nurse (at 13 months)! So its never too early to encourage the bonding.

Hello,

I am new here too. Currently i m 6weeks and having very bad sicnkness. Been puking n puking, even drink water also puke water and its from morning till night. i m feeling very terrible. and keep feeling very tired and sleep throughout. Anyone have this encounter?

E'leen,
Guess so, not sure how to tell him leh? We just tell him " Justin, now you kor kor already cannot sleep on mama's tum tum ok? Mama's tum tum got baby so kor kor must dote on baby ok?" Maybe he got the wrong idea I guess? How to tell leh?

Tabbyz,
Me too, was an unplanned pregnancy and like you I also dont know if I can love another person as much as my #1 but.. it is god blessing that we are pregnant so, I'm very happy and is looking forward to seeing my beanie on every gynae's visit! I am telling my husband that we cannot be bias and dote on #2 more if #2 is a girl cause hub seems to prefer girl hahaha.. #1 and #2 will stand equally in my heart and I will love both of them as much as I can! Papa will be no.3 now~ Haha....

u will definitely love ur 2nd bb as much, if not more! But i agree you will definitely neglect ur no. 1 cos no longer one and only. it is time n no.1 learn to share the love and mature over time.

Congrats Caryl!
I think for 1st time mum, Morning sickness is an essential package that comes with the pregnancy
happy.gif
Just bear with it, it will get better as pregnancy progress. I was having bad morning sickness for #1 and it only went off in 2nd trimester. Just stock up on dried fruits or sour prunes. For me, carbonated soft drinks works wonder to curb off my nausea. This is my 2nd pregnancy and morning sickness is slightly better, am able to eat my b'fast but not so good with lunch and dinner. However, I realized that eating small meals helps so I'm going to start with my small meals diet.

Hi Monster... My gynae gave me folic acid and calcium pills.

Hi Linda.. which brand of folic acid do you buy from Unity? I was thinking of getting this myself in future since I will be charged more for mine if I get from my gynae. Thanks.

Hi Caryl, I dont have the puking but Ive got very bad rashes on my legs (very ugly & super itchy) and my complexion is more sensitive.

Hi Orangey, Im below 34 and my gynae did advise me to go for the OSCAR test ... just to be sure that everything is alright. I will be going for it comes week 12.

Sapphire,
Guess its your first pregnancy so your gynae advise that you go
happy.gif
It will be a more detailed scan and you can see your baby more clearly hehe..

Back