(2013/05) May 2013

Hi ilovebabies,

Oops sorry forgot to mention i had natural delivery w epi.

But i understand from my massage lady tat for c-sec, she will massage 2wks after birth n will avoid e wound/stitch area. N also exert less pressure on at area.

She did full body massage for me, cos i knoe some only massage e womb area. N though kina exp but worth it cos each session w her abt 2 to 2.5 hrs

Hi mummies,

I delivered my bb gal on sat, natural with epidural.. bb is 2.7kg. Supposed to go home today but end up unable to cos bb has jaundice
sad.gif

Dreambig: I really admire u.. u preservered. My bb has jaundice so the pediatrician say It's better to give a little supplement to reduce the jaundice as my milk supply is not in yet. I was a little reluctant but she seems so hungry and kept crying. so I gave in eventually. Hopefully my milk supply comes in soon.

Mummies, when Did ur milk supply come in? Mine looks like there is nothing.. not even colostrium. *Sigh*

Dreambig: your CL broke ur bottle sterilizer!! and still tell u that her sis is v sick n need to leave in a couple of days!! OMG, if her sis is really sick, she still can wait. But wf ur husband back to work, can u cope without any help? Anyway did ur CL leave eventually?

Sore nipples, you can follow wat i love babies is doing.

MofMM: mine is directly in the middle area, I told my gynae b4 but she didn't prescribe any cream / gel. She told me that it is normal. I guess I've to endure another week+..
sad.gif
Ops I have not wash my milk bottles n breast pump yet.. Maybe I will do it this weekend. Heehee, totally forget abt it. :p

I love babies: I heard from my fren that the binding is painful but it is worth it cos can slim down. Haha... The massage is rather good n helps to push out the "dirty" blood in ur womb...

Dreambig & Yvonne: Thanks for the advice on the massage and binding. Will ask the massage lady for more info..

Congrats littlebabysmurf!!
happy.gif

littlebabysmurf: congrats
happy.gif

Don't worry, your milk supply will come in soon. It's around 4th day onwards, it should be in.

Postnatal massage:

I did the Javanese massage but I only put on the binder for 1 hr for the first 3 days and subsequent 4 days I only did the massage and no binding. Really too lazy and uncomfortable!

I salute mummies who can tahan the binding for 8 hours at least!!

Littlebabysmurf, congrats!
happy.gif

Don't feel bad if you need to supplement with formula. I did the same in hospital but requested the nurse to cupfeed my baby. My supply came in in the 3rd day but still not enough. So i have been feeding my baby formula as supplement since birth.

I understand some mummies will stick to total breastfeeding by all means. I salute them as well. However, I won't feel guilty if I can't total breastfeeding because I think I can produce 'quality milk' only when I rest well and eat healthy stuff. If i am stressed, my supply will reduce n both baby and I won't be happy.

Just share a story: I stayed in 2 beded room in hospital, my 'neighbor' is a mummy who insisted on total breastfeeding but her supply is too low, so she ended up feeding her baby every two hours. However, since she didn't sleep for the whole night, she was stressed and her supply didn't come, she became a bit moody.
Hope that other mummies can be more relaxed on bfing. My sisters and friends who once insisted on total breastfeeding all told me that they somehow regretted, not bcoz total bfing is not good but should be more flexible to deal with it. Esp when u plan to have 2nd or more kids, u might need to compromise a bit unless u have helpers.

Azel, thanks for the info abt massage. I think i have already slim down haha, juz got 1 kg extra to get rid of
happy.gif

However, I hope massage can help me get rid of some 'cold wind' in my body, esp arms (got arm ache these days).

Dreambig, how are you? still fell cold? mine is on and off, i think i have caught 'cold'....
sad.gif

Dreambig, kudos to you indeed for sticking firmly to your belief in total bf-ing. Your hubby is such a champ for standing by you too. Your cl sounds like a complete a**hole. Might be better off getting rid of her if you can get additional help elsewhere. This sort of grief is really not worth it.

Re bf-ing. If you delivered at mt alvernia and met the lactation consultants they would have supported you all the way too plus give you oodles of encouragement.

Newborns need v v little milk and all you need to do is feed frequently if your ss hasn't stablized yet. Tiring yes but with frequent nursing your ss will come in.

For mommies who choose to supplement w fm, please don't feel bad as well. We all make choices and the important is to know what you want and do it. Don't let the others around you depress you; easier said than done I know but we gotta stand up for our choices, be it fm or bm.

Congrats too to all the mommies who hv given birth. Best of wishes to the rest waiting for their big day!

you! You can do it!

i love babies: WOW! You lost almost all your weight! only 1kg more, jia you! Good job!
happy.gif
I am giving it a try because all my other fren who use this massage lady said that she is good and they feel better (but most of them are natural delivery), so not such whether will the effect be the same for me.

Formula milk: i guess i may may consider supplying formula milk if my breastmilk has not come in or the supply is low initially.. need to supply milk milk for two bb.. if both of them cry together, i guess i will get post-natal blue first.. hahaha

Hi I Love Babies, what is "cupfeed"? I checked with my OB today he advised me not to buy the binder...very paiseh very sorry need to let you know will not be buying the binder from you. Deepest apologies.

Hi Azel, I didn't buy any milk bags yet as I am doubtful with 2 babies I will have any to store at all hehe...definitely supplying FM first because I don't see how it's possible to feed two mouths sufficiently when BM only kicks in Day 3-5 and with twins, the weight is likely to be over 3kg each i.e. lesser reserves?

Yup, if those ppl can total bf that is the best. But if supply not enough also shouldn't feel bad about supplying. Mother's well being is very important for long term taking care of baby. And baby also should have enough to grow well.

Adelyn, how's your massage experience?
happy.gif

MoIMM: No problem at all, don't worry
happy.gif

Cupfeed: using a small cup to feed baby in order to avoid confusion between breast and bottle when supply has yet come in. Some will introduce spoon feeding instead.

However, it depends on your or your baby's preference lah...

leyash, yes..there are a lot of diff challenges ahead. Jia you jia you~
happy.gif

MofMM: I didn't buy any milk bags too (same reason as yours). Heehee.. Yap, most likely will supply them formula milk first. I am not sure whether bb will be over 3kg, but i will be happy if they are over 2.5kg.
happy.gif

Thanks alfafa77. Really waiting for the big day since the date has been fixed.
happy.gif

Ilovebabies: CL has left. I am now catering confinement food n my mum comes n help out everyday.. For nightbfeeds' my hubby helps out w the diaper changing...

Ilovebabies: yes... I still feel cold sometimes n it's mainly at night... It's very strange n feels like I m falling sick... N it makes my sore nipples even more painful..... I think I have caught "cold" too in d Chinese sense...
sad.gif
I m now wearing long sleeves pajamas at night! Never before in my life unless I m in winter countries.....

Thanks everyone for your enouragement.

The main reason why I m going for total BF is because I heard if using bottles, many babies end up rejecting the nipple... N also if supplement with formula, supply might decrease as baby will be suckling less on the boobs...

But that said, I believe too that there is no 1 method which is correct or wrong. It is all dependent on individual's preference n also circumstances so no need to feel guilty abt not BFing...
To be honest, my nipples are so sore now, I might start to pump for a while to let my nipples recuperate.....

My supply came in around day 5. I had engorgement on day 4... It was very painful n I did not know what to do. My CL scared me saying that my milk ducts are all blocked n she insisted that I pumped which i regretted as it was still colustrum that I pumped out n my baby could not feed by spoon or the bottle (the teat was too hard). I had to throw away the colostrum in the end which I felt was a real pity....
My advice is to try to first do a hot compress with hot towel n then massage the breast till it is not hard n then let your baby suckle. This will help to release the engorgement... If not then attempt pumping as a last resort... In case yr babies are like mine, cannot take spoon feed n bottle. I have since bought NUK bottles cos it resembles human teats most n I have it if I need...

Alfalfa, Azel: thanks. Yes, my hubby is a rel champ.... Without him I would have gone crazy. Really appreciate him for all that he had done during the pregnancy n even more after delivery.... Somehow the hormones after birth just makes you so vulnerable.......

Btw, when does then pain after c-sect go away?
I had mine a week ago but I still have pain n need painkillers... Not sure if it is normal....

Hi Dreambig,
FYI, I got this chart from Kellymom which, by the way, is an AMAZING portal filled with really useful information.

NEWBORN BF INTAKE - newborns really take very little breastmilk at this stage. If your bb is crying alot at this stage it is really not likely to be due to your milk supply. The above chart is based on angmo babies which are bigger on average.

8376165.jpg

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

this is the maximum stomach capacity. For 3-day old babies, they might feed every 2 to 3 hours ON AVERAGE, each time the max they can take is as above. I'm assuming that it should be slightly adjusted for Asian sized babies.

check out kellymom website if you haven't yet. I found it the most useful by far.

dreambig,
it's not weird. Though I have been moving alot since I got back from the hospital, my wound still hurts from time to time. I gave birth on 27 April, and I can definitely still feel my wound, thankfully not all the time, but occasionally.

greatest nightmare for post c-sec mommies
* sneezing and coughing

I had a scratchy throat and was inflicted with a mild cough at day 2 after my surgery. And boy did I get anxiety attacks whenever I felt a cough coming. It hurt the sh*t out of me and the anticipation of one coming was even scarier. I had visions of my stitches bursting whenevr I coughed, and the pain made my visions seem real! I have since found ways to mitigate the pain.

Use a soft pillow, or your hands to apply pressure on your wound, as you bend your body forward towards your bent knees. Hmm ... I'm not explaining it well. Basically, the worst position to be in when one coughs is to be lying down and all stretched out. The best I find, is to be standing, with my body bent down, my knees bent correspondingly, and with my hand applying pressure on my wound as I prepare for my cough. It takes the "sting" off somewhat.

I found this tip through reading several articles regarding C-sec recovery

Dreambig: Finally ur CL has left.. Good to hear that your mom comes over to help you.. Yes ur hubby is really a great help / support. Yap the hormones start to change again after birth, dun feel vulnerable.. Stay positive!

alfafa77: ouch.. :s Jus by thinking of sneezing n coughing after the c-sec, it really scary! I roughly kn e bending position based on ur explanation.. Will give it a try..
happy.gif

Another thing about CL, I heard from ppl that we still give them "red packet" on top of the fee, it is correct? If yes, wat is the market rate n when shld I give her?

Dreambig did u give or plan to give ur CL a "red packet"?

I love babies: My massage experience was quite good. Engaged baby bellies for my first delivery in 2010 and this time round getting them again. I tried them for pre-natal massage at home and they are also very good.

For massage, my objective is just to relax and maybe help a little to get rid of wind? Not so much for slimming cos I cannot tahan the binding haa. Anyway, will slim down if you breastfeed
happy.gif

Total breast-feeding: Just to share, I am also very stubborn on TBF when I have No. 1. Keep persevering on TBF and make myself very stressed up. I sort of realised that there must be flexibility in this.

This time round, I will definitely be more open to other options if I really cannot do TBF.

For my case, during confinement, I rejected CL suggestion to drink stuff like double boil chicken essence with DOM and also cut down on tonics like Dang Gui and Ba Zhen soup because I am breastfeeding and my baby is having bad eczema or pimples popping out.

I should have listened to CL and supplement with some formula milk so that I can recover better.

Hee, this time round I told my hubby I am going to "Bu" myself first then I can take good care of my baby. This is really important as this probably is my last confinement
happy.gif

Azel: The ang pow for CL depends on you. No fixed amount actually.

I gave $88 on the first day and last day I gave $68.

I gave a more on first day so hopefully she will be nicer to my baby
happy.gif

Adelyn: Thanks for sharing the ang pow value..
happy.gif
True, it may work to give her slightly more on her first day.. hahaha.. Thanks thanks! Yes i totally believe that a good confinement will helps to "fine-tune" the body because my colleague is a good example!

Is it recommend to use DOM to cook while breastfeeding, because it contain alcohol? The alcohol shld have evaporated after heating (cooking / boiling)..

Hi Azel, oops I meant under 3kg. Hence intend to supplement with FM. How much is your CL charging you for twins?

Hi ILoveBabies, thanks for your understanding! So sorry about that!

Dreambig, great that you have yr mum and hubby to help out. I am also wearing long sleeves pajama at night
sad.gif

For sore nipples, you may bump bm out once or twice..after getting better, you may latch yr baby on again. The supply will come back when u let bb suckle, don't worry. (my sister had supplemented her bb with formula and sometimes bumped out bm but she still managed to TBF her baby after 4 months...incredible right?) So stay positive
happy.gif

Cupfeed or spoonfeed: it's not the normal way we use cup and spoon, but put the cup or spoon on baby's lip and let him sip. Mummies who are interested in it can google it and get more info. But it's advisable to get your lactation consultant to teach you before u DIY.

pain after c-sec: I think it depends on individuals. I had taken painkillers for one week or more after c-sec last time and the pain gone off about 10-14 days later. However, I have recovered quite well this time. I took painkillers for only two days and the pain gone around day 6( before removing the stitching). Not sure whether it's due to the light but healthy food i have or other reasons. I think taking enough rest is very important. (last time i kept getting up at night to 'monitor' my CL but this time i slept through night
happy.gif
)

Adelyn, thanks for sharing your massage experience. I also cannot tahan binding, i think it must be itchy (at least for me lah)
happy.gif

Same here. This would be my last confinement, so I would like to 'bu' myself and stay very positive first, then i can face and handle other challenges when CL leaves.

Azel: I was reading up on confinement recipes from different sites and many use DOM, especially in the chicken essense. By right alcohol will evaporate after cooking/boiling, but these recipes add in DOM towards the end of cooking so I assume the alcohol will still be present.

However, we can take after last night feed and it should leave our body system after 2-3 hrs.

This round I will take regardless of alcohol present anot
happy.gif

MofMM: My CL is charging $3,600 for twins. There is one CL who quoted me $5,000.. My jaw dropped when heard that amount. o_O" Did u hire CL or u've someone helping you n ur twins?

Adelyn: I asked tis Qn cos my dad bought DOM for me but my fren said tt it'll reduce BM supply. I guess even when it is added towards the end, e alcohol level will not b tt high aso. Ok, I'll take it let my body to rest awhile. I will aso take watever is cooked for me cos i wan to "bu" my body esp giving birth to twin. N tis may be my last confinement too.
happy.gif

CL for $5000??? Thats like equivalent to hiring 2 CL.

I'm going for my elective Ceasarean this Saturday. Can't help but be very worried.. if thee babies are ready to be out. Last measurement is 2.3kg and 2.6kg....

Hi Leen, how many weeks will your twins be this Sat? Don't worry I'm sure your OB would have run the necessary tests n given you the steroid shots necessary! All the best!

Thanks alfalfa for sharing the info... Yes my baby cries a lot first becos my milk supply is low n he was hungry... Now I think he is just very sensitive n wants to be near us all the time. If we leave him alone he will cry.... For the first time yesterday he did not cry during bath!

I love babies : wow you really recovered very quickly!
Well done!

Azel: yes I gave her an angpow when she arrived n a small one when she left since she only did 5 days....

Alfalfa: somehow glad to hear I m not lone on the pain from d wound.... I hope both of us recover very soon! I still have 1 more week to go before going back to check on d stitches.... Have u taken fish essence yet? I have not cos worried wound not healed yet n seems that fish essence can only take after wound has healed... I m taking now chicken essence every morning.

MofMM: I tried to bargain, but all quoted S$3,600.. Other CL heard that I have twin, they either reject me immediately or ask me whether I have maid or not.. =_=" Good that you manage to bargain till S$3,200..
sad.gif

Leen: Precisely i told her that I am having two bb, but still one mother. Why is the price double (S$5,000)? She told me that is market price.. Don't worry, i guess your doc knows what he/she is doing. When were bb last measurement done? Bb will have gain more weigh by Sat.
happy.gif
Jia you! After you, it will be my turn next Thurs!

i love babies: ok ok, thanks for sharing. Now i feel safe to have DOM.. Heehee
happy.gif

Hi, I am new in here. My EDD is this Sunday but my pair of twins decided to come out early in April. Just completed my confinement and is coping without my CL now. I engaged my CL through an agent who charged me about $3.6k. It was good to have gone through an agent as she was able to find a replacement for me when I gave birth earlier than expected.
happy.gif

Dreambig, hmmm...why you can't take fish? I heard fish is very good for your wound to heal leh...what's more, chicken should be avoided in the first 10-12 days?? I eat fish every day, every meal leh~ It can also promote BM supply.

Hi Twinstar, glad to know a 4th twins mummy from this thread!

Hi Azel, no such luck - price still at SGD3500 although I tried to bargain. And one of her conditions is that I must have a maid. I'm due exactly one week after you!

Hi Leen, are you expecting boys or girls or boy/girl? Is there a reason why you choose wk 36 and not 37? Yes you are the second twin mummy from whom I heard the steroid jab is v painful. I wonder if there is anyway to avoid that...

Dreambig: you still give her an ang pow when she left.. Wow, I may not give her after what she did.. :p hmmm I aso thou that you shld avoid chicken too? Your stitches are those melt type or you have to remove them?

Hi Twinstar! Wow another twin mummy! Wat is the gender of ur bb? Natural or c-sec? Do you have any help now (without CL)? Sorry lots of Qn... Heehee

MofMM: i guess it is market rate for the CL.. yes exactly one week. Haha. XD Are you excited? I jus told bb that I'll see them in 7 more days!

Steroid jab: is it a must to have the jab for twin mummy? My gynae didn't mention anything. I'll ask her tml.

Azel: A boy and A girl ;) . I went through CSec. My helper came one week before my CL left. Very tiring...
Mofmm: Thanks! When are you due?

Back