(2013/01) Jan 2013

Hi mummies, have been following this thread for a while and would like to join in the sharing! #2 is due ard 12 Jan 2013 but strongly suspect will be earlier (keeping my fingers crossed!) coz my #1 was premature due to pregnancy complications. Gynae is Dr Khoo Chong Kiat at KKH.

Car seat: #1 is sitting in a fabric Korean carseat which is non bulky so that leaves us with much more space at the back of the car to seat 2 more adults comfortably. So should be ok with #2 coming along.

Sterilizer: I like the pigeon one, coz much bigger and can also sterilise all the pump parts in upper tray. Lower tray tends to be too hot I think for the pump parts.

The steriliser also quite exp. Ya almost forgot about sterilizing the pump. I got to get new pump too. Will get ameda again. My old one many yrs Liao. Is safer to get a new one.

Bottle n teat, I using nuk teat n bottles for my number one when he is a baby.
Then now he is five and we changed the bottles to pigeon bottles with nuk teat.
He still drinking bottles at night.
So for number 2, I think I will get the smaller nuk bottles n teats.
I changed to pigeon bottles for my number two because last time nuk don't have bpa free bottles yet.

Sterilizer
I am using pigeon sterilizer for my son, he is coming to 3 in Dec. Will continue to use it for #2. as hor the pigeon warmer, it came as free gift when we bought the sterilizer 3yrs ago, but never use it before. Dont think it is necessary to buy it.

Anyone know if nuk teats can fit Avent or medela bottles without leaking? I thinking of getting breast storage bottles. Previously using pigeon storage bottles. Now feel like changing.

Canopyhaze, it seems like the pigeon warmer temperature is adjustable so it seems useful. Previously I get another brand and temperature is only one setting and is too hot. So become useless. Or else it be useful

used avent steriliser for #1.. it can also sterilise all the pump parts in upper tray. Lower tray for bottles and teats.. but then, am using avent pump, avent bottles and teats..

dolphin, now breast pump has become very expensive compared to before. My old pump is from medela. Which new pump you are looking at? I'm thinking whether to get a new one as my old one is still working. I have both nuk n avent bottles, don't think their teats are interchangeable but nuk teats can be used on pigeon bottles.

Hi ladies

How is everybody today? Coming to weekend soon...

Hope Wendy is doing fine...

I'm really having poor memory now... Just checked my son file and retrieved the detailed scanning done by Dr Chang for me 5 years ago...

Yesterday Dr Chang was telling me that in the next few weeks if I didn't received call from TMC then it is usually good news ~ that's mean my bb is healthy.....praying super hard now.....

Hi belle, I previously using ameda milk pump. About five yrs ago. I intend to get back the same brand but now ameda pump is the improved version. Improved in what ways, I am not too sure.
Ameda is very good for my usage. But it has been so many yrs so I wanted to get a new one in case motor spoil halfway using next yr.
And the accessories I had from ameda in th past are not bpa free so if I kept the old motor, I would have to replace all accessories too. Some already turning yellow.

What about nuk cap N medela bottles. Can it fit?

hi dolphin, I'm not so sure whether nuk cap can fit on medela bottles. Speaking of bpa free, I have to go home check my old medela pump. The new dual electric medela pump currently on sale in stores is so expensive compared to what I paid for in the past. It also claimed to be improved version but in what ways, I'm not sure also. My old pump funnels have turned yellow also but I can buy new ones. Ameda pump is good? How's the prices like?

Valerie, don't worry too much, things will turn out all good
happy.gif

Hi all, thank you all for the concerns.. I am actually at tmc. Ow seeing my gynae.. Yet to be my turn coz super crowded!! The leaking kind of stop yest nite and just when I thought everything is fine, I soaked my pad this morning again!!!! Really soaked and rush down to the clinic....

Hopefully everything will be well.. Will update u gals once I see my gynae

Wendy,
hope things are fine for you!

JOCELYN,
Honey ... I recommend Manuka +15- + 25, no need number too high as that is more for medical purpose.
happy.gif

Steriliser
I used to pigeon steriliser when I was working, with #1. With #2, I chucked it and used hot boiling water. Fast and easy and cheap.

Milk pumps
I had Medela and then ameda lactaline. I like ameda but I stopped pumping after 6 mths with #2. I introduced solids then, the rest of the time just latched. I bf my oldest till nearly 20 mths, by then I was 7 mths preg with #2. my #2 I bf till 2.5 years old. Most of the time, since I'm sahm, breast pump wasn't necessary.

Hmmm being sahm seems to make everything very cheap :p

Car seat
Find one that can sit from infant all the way so you font have to change. I have one ( ooops can't rem brand) that sits from infant to 40kg. But these tend to be bulkier, so if your car is smaller might be awkward. Britax, and the brand I use(???) have these type of car seats.

Cheaper that way too.

Stroller
I don't like strollers. But that's my preference. The closing and opening with infants is really troublesome.

McClaren
I think it's good for older toddlers. I find the xt not much good and gave away mine after using less than 10 times.

Aprica
Has very good one hand open strollers. Steady too. And easy to carry when closed.

I'm talking about practicality here lah. I don't do malls much so hanging things not an issue. If I go grocery shopping I like to ergo or sling. How to manage the cart And a stroller? Put stroller inside cart is a mighty waste of space. I find stroller really good when going outdoors for long though. Eg zoo, parks. But mind you these places have lots of steps, and rocky paths. Most of the time im parking the stroller somewhere else
sad.gif
. But I still find ergo so much better coz I can move fast, anywhere without being stopped by steps, detour, then argghhh.

Ergo or sling
My all time fav. Walk around, shop, breastfeed etc all on the go. Easy and convenient.

So all in all, don't need most things. Babies are cheap!! Lol:D

hihi ladies.. been couple of days since i last came in.. trust all is well. :)

re: carseat
we used to drive a sedan.. n fit both seats at the rear.. one at either side, then the other at the middle. initially we were using the combi (duno-wat)..it was quite compact. not a prob evn we put both carseats each at the sides....n my ex-helper who is ard 1.65m tall sit in the centre.

hwever, last yr we upgrade their carseat..n it became too cramp for our ex-helper to squeeze in the middle.. so we chgd to a MPV.

gg forward.. this #3, im still tinking prolly i'll put him/her at the front. might hfta disarm the airbag too. then both carseats (for #1&2) will be at middle row side n centre. helper will take 3rd row.. n i'll be wv #1&2.

xinyue:: hihi.. im seeing dr john yam too. was yr #1 with him too? did u deliver by natural or c-sec? this is my first time with him..n i shld b gg for c-sec, wonder hw's his stitching skills.
my edd was 28th jan.. but now brought forward to 21st jan le. :)

fullhouse, wow you breastfed for so long! envy you! most of the time I let my girl just latched on, it's also more troublesome to use breastpump as need to wash and sterilize it. I also find breastmilk to be quite oily and makes the cleaning troublesome. With my no. 1, I had very painful engorgement and terrible blocked ducts, I need to pump regularly to clear the milk. I was also down with infection and needed to take antibiotics. I really couldn't take the pain and weaned at 5/6 months. I just hope this time round breastfeeding will be easier. Thinking about my first breastfeeding experience, I still have phobia.

I will go check out ameda lactaline, medela dual pump has become too expensive, I only paid half the price 6 years ago!

Speaking of breast pumps, can any mummy here share how long breast milk can be stored for? And is a warmer the only way to heat up the stored / frozen milk? I'm a working MTB so am hoping to keep a ready supply in the freezer for the times I need to travel for work.

Bought the Medela freestyle but not sure if a warmer is needed for heating up frozen milk, or if it can be heated up on the stove.

Appreciate any advice!

my entire pelvic region very soar... esp whn i stand up aft sitting awhile.. tink i hv low lying placenta.. very serng!

syyy, I didn't get a warmer but I do remember placing the frozen/cold milk in a bowl of hot water to warm/thaw the milk. Sorry, I don't quite remember how my maid/mother warmed the milk exactly as it's been too many years. Medela freestyle is the electric dual pump? How much did you pay for it and where did you buy it from?

ah bui > hihi.. yup.. my #1 with him too.. erm.. I find his stitching skills ok.. Gave birth naturally without epi. can get down the bed and walk abit during later part of the day..

Is he better than ur first gynae?

thought can know the position of the placenta during NT Scan?

Hi gals, feeling so sad and emotional now... Saw gynae and she said she can see that the water is leaking and it's really no good at this point where I am only 16 weeks.. She admitted me straight away and Ordered total bed rest..

She told me have to monitor the next few days if the hole closes by itself and the fluid will replenish. If not I will have to make the decision to give up the baby. The moment I heard this my tears just roll down non stop..
sad.gif

Syyy >
breastmilk in fridge can be stored for 48 hrs.
breastmilk in chest freezer can be stored for 6 months
breastmilk in normal freezer compartment can be stored for 3 months.

To warm breastmilk
Soak the bottle/packet of breastmilk in lukewarm to hot (not too hot) water for 10 mins.
Thereafter change the water and continue to soak for another 10min.
Change the water and soak for another 10min.
Breastmilk ready for drinking..

This is my own experience.. If only soak for 1st 10min, only bottle is warm. milk is still cold.

Never warm up breastmilk using a stove or microwave oven. It kills the nutrients..

Pls correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

ahbui > I hoping for a Feb baby.. hope bb stays longer inside me.. heehee..

wendy:: u juz hv good rest now ok.. dun tink too much... talk to bb.. we will all pray for u & bb de. *hugs*

oh my gosh.. read wat u wrote.. n oso feeling emo liao. but yes. hv faith. u muz hv faith. jia you!!

xinyue:: errrh.. my previous ob-gynae abit old liao le.. john ah.. so far.. ok bah.. owas no need to queue to see him de leh. n he take time to entertain my qtns.

my previous preg was high-risk multiple..n low lying.. i duno it's linked.. or just so happened to me.. cos my torso is short (aiya..im short!)

wendy > talk to bb.. hope all be find in the coming days..

ahbui > I see.. haha.. his gleneagles clinic no need queue.. but the boon lay clinic can be quite pack..
I see.. I told him i experiencing cramps at lower region. he told me to rest more and wanted to prescribe painkillers for cramp (to relieve the muscles around the region). I told him no need as I still have.

Speaking of electric pumps I've been reading and saw mixed reviews for Medela Freestyle vs Pump In Style Advanced. Anyone tried? I'm extremely worried about not enough supply since this is my first and have heard horror stories of mums giving up. So i'll be renting a high-end Medela pump for the first month to get the supply up up; as suggested by my colleague!

Wendy: oh i m so sad to see this post (lots of hugs) and pls don't give up ok as miracle does take place. Just like my 2nd pregnancy I was supposed to proceed with d&c but the LAST scan detected the fetus.

Talk to your bb and let your bb know this challenge that u r going thru with him/her.

Pls rest well and be strong.

Wendy, sad to hear about it. Stay strong and jia you! Hope everything will be fine after your bed rest.

Belle2006, I also have phobia on bf. Had breast infection and had to do drainage of pus in cancer centre. Spent about 2K just for recovery. BF is not cheap for me... Scary experience.

<font color="119911">HUGS Wendy!
Have to tell yourself to be positive and strong now so that bb will feel the aura and strive together with you!
Jia you!!!</font>

wendy, think positive ba! that's one way! take care and hope all is fine in the days to come!

Syyy / Xinye
Yup the storage of bm is up to 6 months if frozen properly.

As for warming up... I will use the warmer instead. It is more convenient and faster esp during night feeds. I tried using the hot water to warm the bm but it takes like 15 - 20 mins to reach to the right temp, whereas for the warmer, it takes half the time. NEed to trial and error but bought warmer eventually coz it's really cuts down the time needed!

Friends, I almost had to do drainage but I went to Mrs Wong at tmc and the nurse there helped me to clear the extremely blocked duct. Why was the drainage done in cancer centre? Can our gynae do it? My gynae only gave me antibiotics for the infection and fever and told me to pump regularly. I remember I cried constantly coz of the pain so I can understand your phobia too. Let's hope this time round it will be easier for both of us. My breasts are more sore during this pregnancy than previous one that really brings back the phobia.

Belle, TMC lactation unable to clear the blockage and there's yellow discharge from the nipple (sorry ladies, for being so gross). Gynae gave antibiotics but the red patches, pain and fever didn't go away after a week. Was referred to a breast surgeon at Thomson cancer centre. Upon U/S, realised that pus was bursting thru the skin and any delay will result in open wound so need to do drainage on the spot. 4 thick needles to drain the yellow pus... Your post reminded me of my scary episode and only those been thru it will know how painful it was.... I also envy those who have managed to successfully bf their babies.... Yah, will try harder this time round...And hope will be a smooth journey for both of us.

tres > thanks.... yup. using hot warm to warm breastmilk takes time.. so really have to do it way before the baby wails for milk. thought the avent warmer only takes like 2min to warm the milk?

mummies... breastfeeding is really not easy.... but i guess we have to preserve!!! I will always rememberone sentence of advise from one of my pro mummy frens : "There is no such things as no milk, just lazy mums!!!!!"
This sentence was always on my mind during my bf days with #1, with that I managed to BF her for 9 months!!! plus going into Forum while waking up to pump / latch is a MAJOR motivation too!!!!

Sorry friends for reminding you of our scary past. My first gynae is a lady and she's quite experienced in helping me to massage to 'break' the lump. My gynae had infection herself during her pregnancy so she's very experienced in that matter. This time round, I must inform my new gynae before delivery that I had infection before and seek her advice early. Have you heard of jamu lady who is also experienced in helping lactating women clear block ducts to prevent mastitis?

ahbui: my case is tailbone very painful esp aft sitting for long time. I even stood (typing) in front of my desk to relieve the pain. Is it also a symptom for low lying placenta?

Back