(2012/08) Aug 2012

baby_cloud,
PIS is bulkier than freestyle but has better suction..but freestyle is the best choice if u intend to bf when u go back to work as it is portable

isetan credit card and membership card both can

re: total breastfeeding
recently there was article in the papers
hospitals wants to encourage breastfeeding and will longer provide FM samples
not stated which hospital but if u want them to feed FM to baby, they are going to charge for the FM
so means no matter what have to try breastfeeding

Thanks for the recommendation. Will check them out. Is the queue for dr Ann tan very long? I on strict bedrest now... Can't sit up for too long.

For my #1 I bf till 19 months. Couldn't have done it without my freestyle. I read that the suction not as good as Pisa and decreases over time. That is true, have to replace the membranes frequently. And it comes with soft shield, so if u like me like to steam sterilize before each use better to change to hard shield. But because it's so mobile can really pump anywhere! Even in th car on the way to work or at offside company meetings. Otherwise if have to lug it around I sure won't be able to sustain...

Mahjong,
Don’t know your friend for sure. 

Chrisl,
You will not want to dishwasher wash your breastpump bottle and parts. I used both medela Pump in style (double electrical pump) and avent manual pump. Is cleaner to wash by hand as the part you have to use the bottle brush to wash. Imagine initially you pump like every 3 hours, how many times you have to wash? Hand wash faster for sure. 
What you can do is source for a pump that you want. I know which pump I wanted to buy, so I went to the shop and paid and reserved it, only after delivered my #1 then I bought it, if not, I can exchange with other items. Your milk supply will not come in till 4 or 5th day and gradually increase, and I have like 2 litre everyday till the day I wanted to stop breastfeeding. So after you divide the frequent you pump and result you get, is worth the money. I bought extra manual pump is for go out use as my bb cannot clear all the supply, so I hv to pump and throw away after I latch him.

JoJo,
Possible. Just monitor, if you hv no spotting, should be ok.

Han,
I also do like Ivian, change to FM when my #1 turn 8 weeks old for the last feed before midnight for like a week. Then is will only wake up once at night. After a week, I change back to EBM to monitor his intake, and it has no different, I switch back the midnight feed to total BM after 1 week. And sometimes I lazy, I just latch him directly and he will not wake up as well. Try to pat bb to sleep, after a few days, it will be fine. Jia you jia you.

Ayukie,
Yes, kids like have the six sense, they know mommy is pregnant and will cling to us. My #1 also the same, super sticky even b4 I knew I pregnant. He will tell the helper “I want my mommy to settle me” (e.g brush teeth, shower, make him sleep).

Rykiel,
Electric pump sure faster. But once your supply is in and a lot, accordingly to the sales person, it doesn’t matter you use manual or electric type. I used both, initially just electric one, 15 mins settled. Manual pump is single pump, you can only pump one side each time, so take longer time. I used 15 mins for dual electric pump, takes around 30 mins for single to get the same result and my supply is a lot, easy to express out as well. If you insist and persistent on bf-ing, do consider a electric pump, save a lot of time.  You can do research first, I got it only after I deliver and I started to have supply 5th days after delivered.
The pump in the pic you posted in single pump, I got the dual one, pump in style. Heavier but swear with it, GOOD! Is a bit expensive but if you got full supply, save on FM as well ma.. :p
To have to good supply, you must eat a lot and drink a lot of fluid. I drank 3 litre of warm longan red dates water everyday for 40 days, and every meal is 1.5 big bowl of fish and papaya soup till 8 mths. And one big fish everyday plus other food.
Just remember don’t give up on the first few days if the supply is little. My supply came in on 5th day only. And I got to know a girl, her MIL don’t encourage her to BF, and during confinement, the MIL take care of the BB and don’t allow her to latch the baby but once after confinement, she back to her own house and insisted on breastfeeding and supply came in as well.

Miko,
Hi and welcome. Pro NG in Gleneagles is good.

Louise,
I have experience the same thing as well. Vomit every night.

everyone is so fast!!! I just went to grab a few mouths of porridge and so many replies! Ha...

Han> okie okie.. will get it early since i am preparing to breastfeed.

mummyR> how often do we have to pump? My job is flexible so thinking if i shld arrange it such that i can pop home in between to pump, or shld just get freestyle. Are the prices abt similar? Any idea? Thanks in advance!

I also heard that hospitals are gg to charge FM frm now on coz they want to encourage breastfeeding. I told my hb that if really at the start no milk, please pay and give bb FM first coz i dun want to get postnatal blues stressing myself with a crying and hungry baby if touchwood my milk supply comes in late.

Vinwee,
my #1 is 17kgs, i have only brought her to Bintan club med and a day trip to Malacca.
i did not BF for long so bringing FM is a hassle for long haul n i also have to think of water quality in the countries so after think so much, nv really travel much with #1.

MummyR> ya, now they charge $1 per bottle.. find that its ridiculous.. some mummies might not have milk mah for the first 2 days..

Rykiel> i added u in FB too.. mine under Sherry Teo

Btw, unless it's an extremely good deal... Maybe better to wait till after bb come then buy the pump. 'cos 1st few months more or less should be direct latch. Then want to store before going to work then pump. Reason is quite practical - 'cos warranty mostly up to 1 year. If u want to bf for 1 year would be good to know that the pump will be there for that time. Otherwise when it spoil can really disrupt the feeding.

bf sounds fun bt tiring, the freestyle is x but sounds like a good gadget to use in time. jus like a mobile. so if i bring to office n pump will mk alot of noise ant? my office toilet in the 2nd mezzanine floor. even wash hand downstairs can hear one. heheHAHAA. so i tink i must google n read more on breastfeeding. how to drink papaya n fish everyday sia!!! u cook? or u got maid?

miko > yeah her queue is pretty long. but you can call and try to get the early morning appointment, to minimize waiting time.

Miko> ya, i know of friends who full latch without pumping.. but of course, there are some who also cant latch for some reasons, like inverted nipple or short nipple etc.. the hospital provide pumps for rent, so might be good to try out though i am not sure what brand they have...

Guess the pumps are pretty durable
happy.gif

Rykiel> Its not very loud but it sounds like frog croaking ba hahahaha.. if u are really concern, maybe can wrap it with a cloth lor... Buy a thermal or slow cooker, then throw the fish bone/pork with papaya and cook for a few hours

for those for some reasons can't have natural birth and have to go through csect, best is to bring your own pump to stimulate the breast for the milk supply! =) and yeah.. dun get too stressed over about breastfeeding! the more stressed we are, the lesser the supply!

i cried everyday during my stay in hospital! cos my colostrum didnt kick in! i was so determined to bfeed but it just didn't happen (i had csect and no pump with me lor!)

was so happy when i saw milk dripping on the day i was going to be discharged lah!!!

rykiel,
can if i can take leave for sale cos its normally weekdays one
its not noisy...i pump in the same room as hb n baby and they can both sleep thru even both being v light sleepers

baby_cloud,
i used to pump 6am, 11am, 4pm, 8pm, 11pm plus latching
happy.gif

sherry/jljz,
yah my milk came only on 4th day...but i also never supplement...just made baby latch on to let milk supply come faster...wonder how i did it then :p

Jen,
I am like you, vomit the food out of gastric juice. ..
sad.gif
yucks but hv to tahan a little while more.
I heard sometimes those who has MS, supplement will make it worst, not sure how true.
You must take care. Can your parents or IL come over when your hubby not around?

Baby_cloud,
Yes, electric dual pump is good. I get PIS. Before I got, check with sales girl, they say PIS longer in market, suction better. But bulkier and heavier. But real fast in express out the milk.
I reserve mine and only get it aft I delivered my #1. If no milk supply, then change to other items. BUT so long you have will and eat well, I guess the milk supply will come in. And in hospital, the nurse will ask you if you want to breastfeed, just tell them YES and there’s consultant will come and assist you in latching. I just latch for the first few days and started to pump only after 5th day. Initially the few 5 days my supply not a lot. After you latch, gradually the milk will come in. All the best in BF-ing.
Where are you going to deliver? Yes, hospital going to charge. I am quite sure KKH, Mt. A, TMC going to charge, another one should be NUH. Private hospital not sure. But even got milk also must latch, heard to warm your EBM to your bb, they are going to charge as well.

MummyR,
Saw the newspaper, TMC, KKH, Mt A and dunno another one should be NUH confirm not going to provide sample milk. And it going to change S$1/- per feed. And cannot bring in FM, even you express milk out, warm the EBM also have to pay. Not sure about the private hospital.

MIKO,
I heard abt Ann Tan as well but not sure about the Q. Pro Ng in Gleneagles also good. And another famous one is Peter Chew but I don’t really like his way, especially since you mentioned you are high risks, you wld prefer more attention ba. He is rather very busy, got appt also have to wait hours.

I got my breast pump after I delivered. But I reserve one first and pay, if no milk, then the shop allow me to change to other items.

Jen,
Nevermind, next tme bring your #1 and #2 travel together. In overseas, we bought mineral water to cook after he turn one. Before he is on total breastfeed but I still have to bring my breast pump onboard as too much supply.

Sherry,
Is most woman especially first time mom’s milk supply don’t come in until day 4 or day 5. But there’s a bit here and there. And I read before, bb don’t need so much for the first few days. BUT I do agreed, there’s some mommy have latching problem, or the bb just cannot sucks well. The four major labour hospital sure going to charge, just not sure if the private hospital going to charge or not.

jljz,
i was lucky to b able to full BF my #1 during my stay n i got engorgment on the day i discharge but my CL was terrible.
the moment she reach my place, she insisted my hb buy a small tin of FM n she don bring bb for me to BF, insist on giving FM n insist on disturbing my BF time like when i tell her i wanna BF my girl, she jus stand or sit ard n say go on go ahead n watch me hawk eye. then when i am done, my girl doze off n she bring her out.
next thing i step out of rm she feed my girl FM.
ask her y she insist feed BM not filling *argh*

miko > yeah her queue is pretty long. but you can call and try to get the early morning appointment, to minimize waiting time.

Jen,
Your CL probably lazy. and FM can make the bb full and last longer ma.. :p so if feed your girl FM, she doesn't has to feed so often.

vinwee> i thinking of mt A. Yet to fix my hospital yet. Still thinking. A lot of mummies go TMC and attend WBB class rite? But if i choose Mt A dunno got class to attend or not. My dad ask me to attend prenatal classes with hb. But so far i only heard of WBB in TMC. If not in TMC i dunno already.
sad.gif
Will definitely tell the hospital i want to breastfeed. Thankfully my MIL is modern so also say breastfeed good. Hopefully the supply kicks in fast.

baby_cloud,
Mt A has their own prenatal classes too...even if u dont deliver in TMC, u can still go for WBB's class
happy.gif
cos its really good

sherry: siao liao lor. how to pump in office. guess i can use a manual pump in office? is it necessary to pump while working? anw what are the ingredients for the soup?

mummyr: wah u pump so many times ah. im a A- nw worried no milk for bb. =( thanks for helping let me know if u gg n if got promo for the medela~

anyone still keen to join the group? like so quiet here n there. no response to the group~ =)

Baby_cloud,
You can attn pre-natal class in any hospital. If not Tanglin Mall has one as well.

Rykiel,
Either you pump or you latch. Newborn bb drink every 3 hours ma..
happy.gif

Yes, initially i also pump every 3 hours, then lot o supply, i try to delay to 4 hours, then 5 hours, the 6 hours.

Supply not related to breast size, so no worry, i saw woman with c or d cup but 0 supply
happy.gif
I am btw A and B and I got lot of supply. Is all about what you eat and don't stress yourself. Just remember, supply don't come in within the second you deliver your baby and it gradually increase.

Btw, join what group????

Baby cloud: U can still attend WBB class. I attend the class but deliver at Mt A but i think u pay a little bit more.. Actually, i find the class more for general knowledge la.. by the time i popped, i dun really remember whats taught in class.. plus u shower with a dummy baby, its totally different having a real BB in your hands hahaha..

Rykiel> can la.. not very loud la.. i pump in a room and my colleague say they cannot hear anything.. anyway, only need max 15 mins if u get a good pump. U will feel engorged if u dun pump for 8-10 hours.. if u wanna continue to bf after u go back to work then definitely have to pump le..

Papaya Soup: green papaya, fish/pork then add seasoning

thanks vinwee for the encouragement, fb secret group. can chitchat inside lor. for those who seldom come in. add me in fb. i add u inside? i now worry for bf. now i wana go racky the pumps first. hehehe

sherry: wow. 15min. my office only 1 toilet. i wrkin in a small co. hehehe. green papaya. i seldom see in fruit stall got green ones. is buy from market or? now can drink? maybe i wan try the smell n taste first. hehe. it can boost milk supply eh?

vinwee,
u r rite, my tat CL was terrible n very negative.
when she go marketing with my hb, i direct latch my girl can empty 1 side n pump the other side n bb also no fuss hungry lor, jus slept on her bouncer. also keep saying i like no milk supply etc etc so i am hoping for a gd CL this time then can rest my mind.

baby_cloud,
u can attend WBB class even if u don deliver at TMC jus more ex for the class.
i deliver Mt E and attend her classes at AMK Hub.
really gd n informative + got goodies, i got free avent bottles *lol~*

rykiel,

ofc hrs cannot FB.

jen: sure sure np~ understand some mummies can access here. actually dou ok. for me is after wrk i access fb more thru phone. so can still keep in contact. esp when i see smtink nice, blahblah or gd deals can inform straight. haha

Rykiel> dun worry to much abt the supply.. it will definitely comes in if you persevere...There are supplements like mother milk tea, fenugreek which u can take to increase ya flow.. U have to buy it from the market, i think now cannot drink green papaya.. (not to sure though).. It actually taste quite nice,, a bit like melon soup hahaha

rykiel,
i added u as friend on FB already..can help add me to the grp?
happy.gif

im A also and i tbf my boy for 1yr plus...size not equal supply...hehee
happy.gif

for the papaya fish soup, those who deliver at TMC can order the soup from the cafeteria, freeze it then heat up and drink. i bought 5 containers of it to drink over 5 days during my no 2 time cos it taste better than my mum's version.

Rykiel,
Secret group? Nobody can see? I don’t want to announce and don’t intend to let ppl know..lol I add you already. 
Yes, buy papaya from the wet market. Those veggie stall and fruit stall sure selling this.
If you don’t have place to pump in the office. Buy those breastfeeding cover. I use it when I pump in the plane and breastfeed in public.
Sometimes pork borne work well for certain mommy. I bought fish borne from the wet market and boil with green papaya and some herb for the body. It work well for me. To ensure no fishy smell, must take out the blood. I drink it everyday for 8 mths.

Jen,
Hide your FM if you buy to standby. I tell my CL, no FM, only breast milk. My Cl help me to take care in the day time and I take care at night. I also come across a lot of CL feed bb FM. Or tell the stress mommy that their milk not enuf for bb etc..

Mezzo17,
LOL… your mom sure feel sad if she see your post. :p

vinwee: secret. no one can see yr posts. i also din announce in fb. so no one knows =) everyday must drink..wun get sick of the taste?

Rykiel,
LOL... I just know i want to maintance the quality of the milk. Must be solid than those just more watery than solid type. So I just drink, then realised my supply nv drop, then stop!!

I don't care the taste, so long is natural cook food (not process food), i took whatever i know can increase breastmilk during the confinement mth. Event ginger I also took 60 kgs.

vinwee,
i nv buy is my CL ask my hb go buy, we 1st time also blur so jus buy lor then its nv ending story *haix*

but think back the CL really lazy, my hse was dirty n oily n she insist my living rm lights b on whole nite else she cannot c in dark but my flat is corridor unit with light from common corridor n no curtains is very bright.
n 1st thing she reach can ask me if i got sarong can rock bb to sleep.
haix, alot of story abt my CL.. jus plain horrible but no choice have to stick with her cos hb was going away 1 whole wk during confinement n i got no help.

Rykiel,
I don't care. So long can increase milk and maintance the milk quality. I a bit siao. everyday also check and make sure the milk is not those watery type, must be solid and yellow. I eat whatever natural food (no supplement, no process) that can increase milk supply during confinement mth. Even the ginger, i also ate 60kgs.

Mezzo17,
Yes it's really nice but the cafeteria is closed! Dunno if still can buy anot
sad.gif

My mum is a great cook but she just get the tmc taste

Vinwee,
I have same concerns! Don't want anyone to know yet :p

Jen,
I bought one cans of FM to standby coz I want to feed the japanese milk if I don't have supply. So I bought from HK. BUT I tell my CL, i want to breastfeed only.

Sarong??? Warrua, then hire her for wat? I don't mean to abuse CL but please, once sarong, forever sarong lor. I told her no FM, no sarong, no pacifier and don't rock my bb to sleep. Else she has to stay back and rock bb to sleep!! I just tell my CL the way I want.

And I don't let bb sleep with CL, she just has to take care during day time.

mummies, if you have to pump in the office, where to store the milk? is it fine to store in a bag without the need of a freezer? i also not sure what kinda pump to buy. first time mummy
happy.gif

Mezzo,
I ask my hubby how to cook, give you the recepi you pass to you mom. we put fish borne, green papaya and some herb to "bu"our body and qi se.

MummyR,
Yeah, i don't intend to announce and tell around. for my #1, those who didn't see me, don't even know I pregnant until aft i give birth (they only know coz cannot meet up during cny as i am on confinement).

Mindy,
Yes get a good cooler bag..I use fridge to go can last 10-12hrs
My office had no fridge..I had to pump in public toilet and store in my fridge to go

Vinwee,
Me too...i)

Mindy,
Have to store inside the fridge. if you never store inside the fridge, better not let bb drink after 2 or 3 hours.

MummyR,
buy the breastfeeding cover. Don't hv to pump in public nxt time.

If dun have fridge can consider looking for those mini fridge to hide under your cube. Remember 8 days giving it away some time ago with subscription. Maybe can find on Internet? Its really small... Holds 2 can drinks only... That way maybe boss won't mind? Just make sure it cools to at least 4 degrees.

This thread moves so fast, it's hard to catch up... haha...

I've just signed up for WBB class starting 18 March '12.
Anyone else gg for that session(s)?

Oh, and for those who are going with a confinement nanny, have you managed to book one yet? Apparently, it's so "hot" now that the ones I have called are all already taken up.
sad.gif

Back