(2012/06) Jun 2012

Nattan, my gynae told me that for first timers,he would always allow mothers to try natural first unless unsuccessful then go for c-sec. But then again, for your case,I think your gynae has already done the necessary assessment so it is better that u heed his advice given his experience. All the best.

Hi Cheri,guess we can only wait. I think gynae would not allow to be overdue for too long. By a certain date pass EDD they would induce already.

Kadice, yes, that's what my gynae told me too, at first. But after today's check, he told me that in his opinion, it's not likely to happen, so better for me to go for elective. He won't force the decision on me, so I choose to trust his professional opinion. My dad also said a good doc will make the judgement call to avoid unnecessary risks.

Nattan
I can so understand ur disappointment initially when u hear u might not be able to hv a natural delivery. I felt the same way when I was told my baby was still breech at 35 weeks Preg
sad.gif
luckily, she has since turned head down! It's true that bigger babies can b tougher. My Gynae was v conscious Abt the mum's wt then. Will nag at every visit if putting on too much.
All the best to whatever decision u make & pray for peace in your decisions.
Kadice
Yes, not too many days past EDD. Think both my previous n this Gynae in Melb this time indicated they were ok with 7 days. Of course, w v close monitoring during these 7 days to ensure Bb is fine inside. I've also realized that overdue babies seem much more common here in Melb than Sg. Perhaps cos they r more pro natural w minimal intervention.

Hi guys,

Been busy with family visitors and getting back into what's going to happen next. Have walked around by 3pm yest which is considered fast. Had to take pain killers cos I want to move more and relax and not deal with more pain. Got the binder so help hold the wound. Tried BM few times yesterday - baby is a good sucker but super impatient to latch. Always want to suck before entire nipple area is in. And will cry (tears all out. Super drama) and grunt till she gets it in. Apparently, my nipples are considered big so need to squeeze and help get in in properly for her. Good thing is milk seems to be slowly in so will let her latch next few days.

Nattan

My experience actually tells me that although that natural
is the first logical step most mummies want. At the end of the day, after balancing the risks n with the advise of your gyn, if e c sec is the way safest, it really isn't that bad.

The recovery is no doubt slower but just freshly going through, I find that the op isn't that scary. I still hate the stupid epi jab but that short moment of pain and the op time taken, it's really not so bad. If u have been active before, your body will help
Speed up your recovery that I am sure.

If u still try natural, there's a high chance u need to be induced first? Don't think your gyn will wait for u to go into labour naturally. Try not to end up with two wounds. Just not worth it. I'm glad I didn't have abt tear down there. So going toilet and all that jazz has not been any issue. Thank god.

Cheer up k? First step is acceptance! Once u set your mind to it, u can do it. Rem happy mummy happy baby. Half the battle is won. Conserve your energy for the next chapter of your life.

Whatever your choice, we are here to provide your support and listening ear!

Cheri

I think most gyn are ok to wait up to 41 weeks if the close monitoring shows that both baby and mother are ok and healthy. Think my gynae just glad mine wasnt too overdue.

Cyn

Thanks for sharing. Haha I wouldn't have been able to
Tahan 37 hours!! Gyn was saying for first one to dialate fully within 8 hours already very good so just bad luck abt the pushing part. If baby was smaller, with my power pushes she would have shot across the labour room. Haha. Anyway, with my slight fever and Lack of water, I was also very shag already.

Thanks for sharing the baby hiC cup tips.
happy.gif

Actually not fun going overdue too. The last few weeks r torturous actually. Heavier, more clumsy, the suspense etc. Envy those who give birth too abt 37-38 weeks

Ssmiliezz - u r welcome. Glad u don't ve prob with bf ur bb. Congrats!
happy.gif

Kadice,
Actually to decide when for bb to come out,, doc will look out for sign of aging in placenta, water level in the waterbag n conditions of mum n bb (eg any risk of complication like bb going too huge for mummy, mummy having high blood etc) If all is ok, then doc won't induce n will jus wait till bb is ready. Not necessary to say overdue mean must induce.

Spotting - I was told by doc that even slight spotting of brown blood is considered as "show" already, not necessarily must b bright red. Not sure since I didn't ve that for my first 2.

Nattan,
Going for csec for 1st time, u still can try natural for the 2nd pregnancy but no epi by then. My friend manage to deliver 2nd bb naturally although 1st was csec. So still got chance for natural. I wanted that but I couldn't for my #2 bcos he was in transverse position n had early contractions so had him out early at 37wks. So now with my 3rd, I don't ve choice but to ve csec again since first 2 already csec. But most importantly is bb n mummy r ok in d end of the day.
happy.gif

Btw can I know which massage ladies u ladies here ve engaged? I used to ve Mdm Rokiah for my #1, then another lady (trained by her) for #2. I'm trying to source for a cheaper alternative for this time. But Mdm Rokiah was gd but she doesn't do it now personally herself, only her gals r doing.

Morning mummies.. so warm and sunny again today...

Ssmilezz, good that you're able to latch and breastfeed baby almost immediately.

I've more or less come to accept that that unlike other journeys in life, the pregnancy journey is ultimately all about the destination and less of the journey itself. I've scheduled the c sec for Mon 1.30pm with my gynae, so now I'm just going to enjoy the last few days and pray that everything will turn out fine.

Cheri, yes, I should have monitored my weight more, but since doc didn't say anything, I didn't really bother. Anyway, have already made peace with the decision to c-sec..

Cyn, thanks for sharing your birth story. I don't think I can tahan such a long labour as yours! You're really strong.. And you're right that in the end, the most important is at the end of the day, baby and mummy are ok.

Re massage, I engaged Origins Jamu.. some mummies here have packages with Baby Bellies or with other companies. I wanted to engage a freelance masseuse but couldn't find one. The one that my boss engaged was actually more expensive ($100 per session) than my package ($70+).

BTW, I don't understand why cannot VBAC with epi?

Hi mummies,

I popped on the 18th afternoon, baby arrive 10 days earlier. Had irregular contractions, about 8-15mins apart in the morning near 10am while waiting for gynae checkup but didn't see him till 2pm as he went for delivery and I need to go back to fetch my boy from school at 12. I didn't think of delivering yet as the timing of contraction is not constant and I only had some pinkish discharge.

The nurse wanted me to go delivery suite to take ctg but I only went at 1, haha.. Everyone was looking for me while I went home, didn't expect that. After about an hr of ctg, it showed I had contraction roughly about 10 mins apart so gynae checked for dilation and was surprised that I had already dilated 5-6cm so got me for admission. By the time I arrived delivery suite, about 15-20 mins later, I asked for epi (didn't want to be heroine this time, wanted a pain free process) but my request wasn't granted because I was 8cm dilated and the midwife was able to feel baby head. Since gynae not around, midwife tried to delay my delivery (I guess) but almost couldn't wait. By the time gynae reached, baby head was almost out and I only got a little tear which doesn't required stitching.

Delivered my boy who weigh 2.860g at 3.44pm, whole process took 5hrs plus. Still trying to adapt to him as he hardly sleeps, always cry and awake. Break almost all the confinement rules, haha.., even food also anyhow cook and eat.

audrey,
congratulations to your bundle of joy.
happy.gif
wow, you can still fetch your son during the contractions. You don't require stitching down there ? first time i heard of it though .... take time to rest, i think confinement food is important, need to nourish the body after 12 days.

nattan,
trust your gynae and all the best for the next monday's delivery. i would have finished my 28 days of confinement this sunday, I've broken almost all the confinement rules :p

Audrey, congrats on your smooth delivery and baby boy! Yours is an ideal delivery...envy... Do take care of yourself despite the hectic schedule ahead. You need to rebuild your health to take care of all your kids.

joeey, thanks... How nice you're finishing your confinement on Sun and can enjoy the rest of your ML with freedom. What rules have you broken? ;)

Ssmiles:

My nipples are also big, so you have to latch her properly else you will end up like me with crack nipples. Its painful. Since you are still in hospital, get the LC to teach you the proper way to latch so that you will not experiance the pain that I had.

Audreyaw;
Yours is the best delivery! Fast and no stitches!

Nattan;
I think the gynae will know whats best for you. They will be able to know the best choice for you. If you want to try normal delivery is possible but maybe you will incur high cost. In this case is it worth it since bb is big.

Confinement:
I think I am too fussy.... Find alot of faults with my Nanny! She use the rough side of the scrub to scrub my rice cooker! The black colour part of the pot is disappearing and I can almost see the grey part of the pot. OMG.My none stick pan is full of stratches! She insist that the scratches were there before. But I am very very sure they were never there. It looked like she use something sharp on the pan.

We have been using these things for the past 4 years and never face such problem. She is an "experiance" nanny she does not know such things?

Hiaz......... Anyone faces such problem too? Am I too fussy?

Nattan - fr what my Gynae told me vbac can't use epi was bcos there is an old wound there fr first csec n they r afraid u can't feel complication like a rupture if u go on epi. I think this was bvos few yr ago there was a case a lady had a rupture during delivery n died so perhaps my Gynae was being cautious, another friend of mine who has a diff Gynae fr me also advise her the same thing.

tlisa, ya.. I choose to follow my gynae's advice. It's not worth putting baby's health and safety at risk even if the cost isn't high.

Maybe you're just emo right now with caring for baby. Try to close one eye concerning the nanny or find a time to talk nicely to her about your preference like how you want her to clean your pots. It takes a lot of patience and understanding to live with a total stranger.

Nattan: I am not sure. I come to the conclusion that I am fussy as we can only accept the way things want to be done our way. But using the rough scrub on rice cooker, I thought it is a common sense thing. Maybe its really my fault that I never tell her.

Full Month Celebration:
Have you gals decided on how you will be celebrating the new month? I have enquired from Safra and it cost about $32 per person if I book the function room for lunch. Its a little expensive right? Hiaz.... Any suggestions? Dont want to hold it at home as I dont want to clean up the mess. Hahahaha

tlisa, older folks don't know how to take care of non-stick pans. Last time the rice cookers are not non-stick so most people will use the scouring pads for cleaning. Maybe your nanny really doesn't know. Just tell her nicely and provide her with the right cleaning sponge.

Re full month, I haven't decided... maybe do a chalet bbq thing for friends and colleagues, separately a lunch mini buffet for relatives at my parents' place. $32/pax is quite costly...

Smilezz, congrats. Hearing your story now I think my previous gynea for #1 is not bad either. He vacuums immediately without asking me as my baby's heartbeat has weakened. But he never say anything to me that reason until I thought all gynea here usually use vacuum. I am in long labour too that time, 19 hours! I remember the midwife asked me to push but it's not successful then they said baby heartbeat weakened.

The one I like about my previous gynea maybe sounds gross, he actually pressed my tummy really hard after delivery until I hear sounds of blood gushing out. But that really make my lochia lesser and even my massage lady now commented last time my tummy gets back easier becoz she found lesser leftover blood.

This time I think my gynea is more gentle, never does that huhu..

Nattan, jiayou. I have a friend under c-sect and she's like you, doesn't have anyone to helped out except her working from home hubby, and she managed to handle baby herself. You can also make it
happy.gif

Hi mummies, I'm from the Oct thread. I'm looking for confinement caterers but need opinions.

I have shortlisted the following, please advise.

1) Natal Essentials
2) Newbaby.com.sg
3) ConfinementFood.com
4) Chili Padi Catering
5) Aunty Li Confinement Food

Those who have tried for your this/previous pregnancies or your friends/families have tried, please advise tastiness of food.

Thank you.

nattan, once decided on c-sect, just go ahead. i'm sure it's a painful decision u've made after careful consideration. i was crying in the delivery ward too when my #1 jus din progress after a long long labor. dilation stopped at 6cm and urinal has some traces of blood. was so disappointed. so to be safe, i had to sign the c-sect form. after the whole ordeal, it's not as bad as i thot but i still dun like the cut up feeling. now #2 trying for natural again. see it on the bright side, at least u hv a date to look fwd to!!! i'm stil stil waiting...

ssmilezz, wow... u succeed BF so easily! good good!!!

audrey, congrats! u mean u can still go about your activities with contractions and no pain?! wow.... my another inspiration.

tlisa, i forsee i'll have some probs when my CL come....

Thanks Groovy and liligal.. it was definitely a difficult decision, but once I prayed about it and decided, I felt peace knowing it's the right decision. All I care about now is that my baby will be delivered safely. I definitely want to try VBAC next time provided the baby is not so big.. guess I must control diet and weight more next time.

nattan, btw, i was up and running abt on day2 afternoon (day 1 was labor, night was c-sect) after c-sect. so it's not like u had to be bedridden for ages. BF no issue at all also. jus be careful to kp ur wound clean and straight with binder.

Joeey
I thought it was BH again as I had been feeling the same for the past days, on and off, irregular pain. And the timing wasn't constant and bearable so didn't think I am going to deliver, haha.. Gynae said he can stitch for me if I want, only require 1-2 stitches but I chose to leave it alone. Will try to do better confinement cooking after I settle down, still not used to it.

Nattan
Just finished reading the past days posting here. Don't worry too much as long as you and baby are safe and sound. I would make the same decision as you if I am in the same situation though I am the type who is afraid of operation.

Don't envy my birth story, it was too fast and painful. I almost wanted to give up, didn't want to give birth (haha) and gave my hubby a big knock as he keep shoving the laughing gas on my face to prevent me from moving around and crying. I really want to try pain free delivery for once and enjoy the process instead of behaving like what i did on monday.

Tlisa
I know some families are still using those old types of rice cookers in the house, non-stick types so maybe your CL thought yours is the same? But what's done cannot be undone, just close 1 eye and let her know how you want things to be done but don't expect she will follows everything. Take it easy k.

liligal and audrey, I feel a little comforted knowing that a date is set and there's some sense of control and anticipation, rather than just waiting and not knowing when it's going to happen. Of course, anything may still happen within these few days, but I'm just keeping my eyes on the destination and trying to keep myself busy with things I need to do like leftover chores, reading and cooking... Hope I can still make it to church one more time this Sun. So far baby is still moving around but not as much as before... guess really not much space to move already...

Lili gal: why do you think you will have problems? Maybe it is just me? Like the others say I should have told her go advance and not expect her to know everything. You tell her water ur expectations are maybe not that bad?

Audreyaw: you are alone at home with baby? No one to help you to cook?

tlisa, cos now i'm living with my mum. my mum is super fussy. and i dun want her to be doing most of the work vs the CL. but hubby just warned me today... 2 old women in the kitchen... bad idea. hahahaha... so abit apprehensive lor. also, not forgettin the fact that i am also very fussy normally. might be worse during confinement esp with the recent heat and humidity.

btw ladies, you have stretch marks appearing suddenly? out of the blue, there are marks around my belly button! #1 i was cleared thru'out. these sudden appearances are making me very upset!!! aaaahhhhh...... most imptly, will they go away!?!? i'm in my 38th wk now. ending soon.

liligal, I have some light stretch marks around my belly button too :p Just noticed them.. the rest of my tummy is clear, not bad considering I don't always apply cream. I think just have to keep applying cream after delivery and hope they fade away... I'm in week 39 now..

Stretch marks won't go away but will fade in color n the worse part isnt the color but the texture of it is like the surface of uneven road depending on how severe urs r. Most stretchmarks appear towards the end of pregnancy bcos that is the biggest time. I was caught by surprise during my #1 pregnancy, they all appear at ard 8-9mths onwards that time. Now with my #3, I'm getting more! Even my calves! They look horrible like zebra lines!
sad.gif

Nattan, dun worry abt it, at least ur date has been set.

The rest of us are just waiting without knowing when. And the discomfort is getting greater each day though Im resting at home. Even sitting down can feel the bump blocking

Hi mummies
Anyone has Priscilla's number? She was recommending her CL. I pm her but still waiting for her to give me the contact. I want to change mine so hope to get her contact asap. If anyone has her number I can pm you my number and you ask her to text me. Thanks!

<font color="aa00aa">It's my turn to pop today. #2 is 3.55kg, quite a big baby for my build. Was initially concerned as I've GD &amp; gynae is afraid that his shoulders may be too big to be delivered. Got scolded by gynae for reaching hospital fully dilated as I could've delivered on the way. The pain was really unbearable &amp; I definitely don't want to repeat the ordeal again. Anyway, the baby is out within 45 mins after I reached the delivery suite w/o epidural but with vacuum as he was not descending after several pushes. Now my tailbone pain is killing me despite taking painkillers.

nattan,
It's good to have reached a peaceful decision. All the best to your delivery.</font>

Moi, congrats on your fast delivery. How come you arrived at the hospital fully dilated? You didn't feel much contractions? But great that you managed to do it drug free. Hope you have a good rest.

Kadice, enjoy the bump while you can... I will miss it when it's no longer there, strange as it seems.

kadice, totally agree with you. feeling a lot of movements down under and heavy heavy tummy. BHCs getting more often but still not much action or signs yet.

moi, u r fast! how did you arrive fully dilated!?!? no signs at all? ok i think i'm asking the same thing as nattan. tell us more!!!

nattan,
hmm i broke alot of rules already. go out every weekend during confinement for about 2 hours, for shopping. Send my girl to school when hubby was not free. Bathe my kids when hubby not around. Wash hands and brush teeth with tap water. Air con at night. Fan/air con in the day. Starting 3rd week of confinement, i stopped bathing in da feng cao , just use heater water.
Only thing i follow, is to eat the confinement food faithfully, lotsa ginger after day 12 ...

<font color="aa00aa">My contractions started at about 6+am but they were not regular at first. At 10+am, they were more regular but I could still do laundry.

At 11+am, cannot tahan liao. Very painful contractions but I waited till hubby was free to send me to hospital as he was working at one of his sites. The contractions were killing me and I cried at times. I thought I was only 4-5cm dilated as the interval was about 4 mins but each lasts > 1 minute, sometimes even 2 minutes. I regretted waiting for him &amp; I had problem moving from house to car, on the journey to hospital due to bumpy roads &amp; turnings, from hospital carpark to delivery suite, etc. Luckily there was delivery suite available &amp; the midwives got to work really fast. My gynae came really fast too. It was an experience that will linger in my mind for quite a while. Still very tired. Got to catch a nap now before my next dose of painkillers 1.5 hrs later.

So actual labour is about 8 hrs.</font>

moi, how long u waited for ur hubby! u super high pain threshold then. last time at the very beginning with 15mins gap, i already surrendered. wow... amazing. thanks for sharing!

Moi

Congrats!! I'm so glad that you made it barely in time to the hosp.
happy.gif
The bearin down feeling must be nuts! I shudder just thinking about it right now. Good that all is well.

Have a good rest! U definately deserve it after the strict GD monitoring and the extra care taken on your part.
happy.gif

Kadice

Yah ! Do enjoy the feeling while u can. It's very precious and talk more to your baby. I realized as I have been calling my girl
Her name since the 2nd tri, she really reacts and responses to her name each time i call her now. It's really amazing. She turns towards us when we call her the way we talk to her when she was in my womb.

Nattan

Good for u. Now u set your mind to the date and decision, u can spend the precious last few days of couple hood with your hub. Will be rooting for u and thinking of you on Mon.

Stretch Marks

Mine was really bad at 38 weeks onwards. Just started appearing mostly on the upper thighs and the lower belly. Very itchy at the lower belly area.
sad.gif

BF

2nd Day attempting to latch on. She always falls asleep after the first breast. Milk seems to have kicked in today. My breasts feel really heavy and full. Should be discharged by tomo noon, can't wait to go back to try pumping. My girl is a strong sucker but need to latch properly else with the sucking, nipples will
be a gone case in no time. Im still trying to figure what is the best way for me to hold and latch her with my wound. Now doing the lying down side method. In any case, I have been supplementing with FM. She's drinking like 30ml of FM maybe 2-3x a day, other feeds I just latch.

Baby has jaundice. But I dunno what or how bad still not tested leh. She followed hub's blood type Today other than feeding times, we left her back in the nursery for the light. Hub is very attached to her and kan Cheong that she can't go back with us tomo. See what happens next. One day at a time!

Moi, you're really strong to withstand the contraction pain while driving. Actually when your contractions were 4 min apart, I think should've gone straight to hospital already! If I were you, I'd just drop everything and hop on the cab then call hubby to bring the hospital bag. But thank God you made it safely to the hospital yourself!

joeey, how is brushing teeth breaking any rules? You mean can't even do that during confinement? Eew... I can't imagine not brushing my teeth everyday... Actually I think I'll be breaking a lot of rules too like washing my hair and bathing in normal warm water, drinking coffee, turning on aircon.. but I probably won't be going out much unless it's to bring baby for review or vaccination.

Ssmilezz, thanks for the kind thoughts
happy.gif
And glad to know you can latch and breastfeed successfully. Your milk seems to have come in pretty quickly whereas most people would have to wait a few more days. I probably have to feed the baby with the lying down method too after my c-sec. Aww.. my hubby is the kan cheong, super attached to baby type too... Hopefully your baby can go home with you tomorrow!

Moi - congrats! Applaud for going thru all by urself without assistance. 8hrs labour pain is still no joke. U r v brave to wait so long! Luckily didn't deliver in car! My ex colleague was actually delivered in a taxi, written on his birthcert I think.

Ssmilezz - IF bb jaundice is high, u may want to lay off some ginger in ur food for the time being since u r breastfeeding, I heard fr Tcm that if too much ginger is in mummy diet, the jaundice is hard to b cleared. Most 1st time parents can b emo if bb has to stay back bcos of jaundice, so far many parents i know including myself actually cried when we found out bb has to stay another day, we actually extended my hosp stay for sake of bb! But when 2nd bb time, we were mentally prepared for bb to stay by leaving him there n mummy discharged! Haha! Sound unfair! But it's like that lor. Let's hope your bb can go home Tmr.
happy.gif

Congrats Moi
happy.gif

Nattan: I fully support your decision cos i also went for elective c-sec after thinking it thru the pros n cons. It is definitely a good decision where all of us are happy. if go natural I might need to be in labour for 3 days n 3 nites n not guarantee according to my gynae.

Chris

How's the past few days for u? Your op on Fri right?

Nattan

I think I may try to ask the lacation specialist tomo to show me the right way to pump just in case I screw up at home. Beasts are feeling reall heavy n full since last night and I didn't latch the night feeds since 12 midnight as I wanted to rest to build up my strength before going home later and also let baby have more time under the lIght in the nursery. I still need help from my hub or my family to pass me my girl after I settle
Myself and Lie down before nursing her. Must try more methods so I can do on my own. Sigh.

I bought those abdominal binder to wear after my op from the advise of fellow mummies. Do start sipping water once u are awake. I realized the earlier u start back on water and food, you will feel much better and be able to get up on your feet sooner.

What time is your scheduled op? Your hub getting excited to see your boy?
happy.gif
my hub has been a real pillar of support. I am
So thankful for him. He has been driving back almost twice everyday at odd hours to spend a few hours at home caring for our dogs (gven that he hates cleaning up after them and I've been their main care taker) and doing some chores here and there. Think he knows I miss them too cos I've not left them since the day I brought them home. He will watappp me videos of them when he's at home to assure me they are ok.

Cyn

Thanks for sharing. I havent really taken a lot of confinement food. Erm not much ginger actually. Somehow I have mentally prepared myself that my girl may not be able to go back
cos I've read so many mummies sharing their stories on the vey same issues so I've been reassuring my hub she will be fine. But he seems to talk about staying for another night so can be close with her but as if she needs to be under the light no much point cos she can't come out to be in the room with us. And if im feeling better to be discharged already, I rather go back n start slowly get back to tht groove of things and prepare for her. Erm coming from a first time mom, it does sound like im quite heartless hor to leave my girl on her own.

Jia lat, my sleeping habits are now haywire and like sleeping 3 hours max of sleep. Been staring in the dark since 4plus.

Maybe now starting to worry about going home - dealing with baby and CL etc. Whole new ball game.

Oddly, this is my first time staying in hosp. So far the experience has been good, the nurses are all very friendly and helpful. Staying on the 6th floor maternity wards which are carpetted and have warm lighting so very cosy like hotel rooms.

moi, congrats!!

I guess most of us 2nd time mummies delivered around 7-8 hours of labour..

Wow contraction every 5 minutes last 1 minute must reach hospital already hehehe. You're lucky everything still in time

tilsa: I have the same problem with my maid. She scrubbed my nonstick pan, so many scratches, I told her to stop using it as it is cancer causing. My rice cooker has some scratches too.

A lot of things just spoilt with her around.

Now with my CL, my maid just pointed her finger at her. The faucet came off suddenly, my toilet door came off, and now no carpenter is free at the moment to come and fix it, plus lots more!!!

Then my CL told me my maid carried the baby once when he wasn't crying. Then she go and rock him instead of swaying her hips!! How to let her look after my baby next time? I feel like staying at home just to look after my son.

sad.gif

Back