(2012/05) May 2012

I have some blocked ducts and I did eat a little chive the other day. My milk ss is already very low and with the recurring blocked duct problem make bf v stressful. I just want to persevere till my son hits 6 months.

FAAA: oh, did know abt that chives n liver will stop milk!
Liang2: if suspect block duct, then must push n press until they are gone. Can take lecithin at the same time as well. Milk supply is a stressful issue. Even when I have reserves, I feel very bad when got to throw cos baby din finish. And I super sensitive when hubby dun "respect" my milk?!?! He said sth like: so much milk in the freezer, just defrost even if baby dun drink. I'm pretty upset w that, cos every bottle wasted is a pain! Haha, anyway, lucky my gal drink, though not till the last drops. She likes to leave 10ml behind. Dunnow why

Dolly: I used hot stone followed by massage but its painful. Only mummies know the difficulties we face during bf and understand how precious bm is.

My LC did warn me abt liver, that's y I do away with all the liver stuff during confinement.

Dolly my gal same like to leave like 10-20ml and dun finish. Such a waste but if u offer the breast shep happily accept. Ya, I was told chives and liver does hinder with supply so I avoid totally.

I may need to get some lecithin too. Maybe taking some will help my milk flow better.

yuzhi, yes there is.. you can pm me your email address.. i can add you as friend on FB then add you in the grp..

Any mummies start giving cereals or purée already? Mummies who are freezing the purée, do you use those pigeon bottle warmer/food warmer etc to heat up the purée?

Mei80: I just bought Lecithin. Do u take it only when u have block ducts or u take it regularly like fenugreek.

I felt rather uneasy after I spoke to the pharmist. She said that there was nothing stated on the bottle that lecithin helps block ducts and I shouldnt anyhow take supplement when im lactating.

liang2: you can take it regularly, it's supplement not harmful. Or you can take few days after your milk ss increase than stop it..

Mei80: yar I also thought so, I dun know why she said that, maybe she is not familiar with lecithin. Thanks again
happy.gif

I was on leave today and I pump twice at home. My output is lesser than when I pump at work. Only got abt 100ml each time.

Does GNC sell lecithin also? I'm thinking of buying fenugreek together.

Mummies, have you heard of maxalon? My gynae gave it to me before. Supposed to help with let-down

Just to also share my SS also reduce a lot the last few days so was feeling quite down. On Mon it's the worst I pump for 45mins, each at 15 mins interval, in between stop and massage for a while I could only get 30ml combine. It's the lowest so far. I don't know what's wrong is it my pump suction not strong already or the well is drying up. Super sad. I was so desperate that I ask my hubby to visit my gynae to get motillum n he also got me calcium n fish oil. Took this morning (I stop fenugreek. can take both?) n today increased to 60ml n there are quite a lot of block ducts which I manage to remove quite a fair bit through massage but it's really a long process. I spent 1 hr in the nursing room. Not sure why now I need to pump so long to get that miserable 60ml.

Tried to let my boy latch again in an attempt to increase the ss since Mon n he latch left side for only 10mins then right side completely untouched. He started wailing after several tries. Yesterday n today tried again but he doesn't want kept crying. Oh no I think he doesn't want to latch anymore. I stopped latching him since he was 2 mths as he bites n now he forget already. So so sad....

Thinking of buying a second pump to put in office, it's really troublesome to lug so many bags but not sure how long more I can sustain breast feeding??? Output is super low
sad.gif

phyllis: It's really disheartening, but you know, need time to get your baby boy to get used to the joy of latching too! For me it's the other way round, my gal refuse bottles and we are battling with her for past 3 hours, she supposed to take around 830pm, I give her at 845, 9+, 10+... all push out, only till 11pm then she finally give in. But only suck around 50ml. So got to throw 30ml away cos it's left long enough!

Let your baby latch more and while latching, massage your breast too, it will helps. Also can try lecithin and drink lots and lots of water until you wanna pee every time!

Is there some truth to the myth that our milk will decrease by 3rd, 4th month? I don't remember that happening with my #1.

Phyllis, u can take motillium together with Fenugreek. I asked my gynae before. He say its safe to take together and can take as long as we were to continue BFing. Don't give up now!! 2 more months. Supplement with more FM if really not enough. My milk output is also getting lesser so now using frozen supply. Even if its only down to 1 bottle BM per day still better than none

Dolly: maybe becos u the one feeding? When I carry my gal nearing feeding time, she will look for my breasts. Haha.. My gal also prefer to latch cos she will drink and fall asleep

Dolly try Medela Calma teat it's close to the breast feel. My left breast is in pain from all the block ducts just pumped n massage but still can't get it out.

Faaa did u try taking motillium n fenugreek together? Is it a lot more effective?

I find lecithin effective for me too, am taking three pills from gnc a day. Used to get blocked ducts a lot in the past but seldom get it even with just four pumps a day after taking lecithin. How many pills do you take? I tried reducing to two recently but got blocked ducts. Read somewhere that if your bb is sensitive to soy, you should not take soy based lecithin, so do observe their poo when taking it.

Phyllis: I'm currently in the same shoe as you, milk ss dropped and I'm suffering from block ducts. It's a recurring problem. Latching seems to be the best solution but the option is not available to me, my boy doesn't remember how to do it anymore. He just keep compressing my nipple against his gum. Have you tried lecithin? i'm currently taking it as recommended by a mummy here. It is supposed to clear the clogged ducts. You might want to give it a shot. It's ok to take both fenugreek and motillium together, I took them during the first 2 month.

FAAA: my hubby tried too, she just push away or drink a few mouthful
happy.gif

Phyllis: my gal drink from any teat as long as she give in. And then she will drink very fast, like 50ml within 2 minute!
Can use a warm towel while massaging and take lecithin too. For my case the easy way out is massage during latch, cos baby suction really much better than any pump!
Another thing to note, is all the parts in the pump working fine? My funnel was a bit crack and it just can't pump well. After changing to new ones now the suction ok again. Luckily that's the set at home so pumping in office no affected.
If u dun mind second hand pump, go to WTS thread and there's always people selling theirs. I got mine from there too, but people normally advised to buy all the parts.

Esteelin: I'm taking 6 pills a day. I started last night so I have not seen result yet. Thanks for mentioning abt the soy cos I bought the soy based one. I will watch out for his poo.

Liangz same here my bb doesn't even want me to put in the nipple into his mouth. Will keep trying to intro again. Hopefully it will be successful. Asked my mil to switch to Calma when she bottle feeds later. My block ducts is a recurring problem since sun so will continue to do warm massage and pump if it still persists then will have to give lecithin a shot. Where did u purchase yours? Is there a variety to choose from? I'm not sure if my boy is allergic to soy. He drinks fm similac since birth.

Thanks for the reminder Dolly shall check the funnel later. I'm also planning to visit the Medela service centre this wkend. Gosh my left breast is very uncomfortable.

Phyllis, as we do exclusive pumping, we tend to have block ducts easily. It will be good if you can latch again, thats the way to good milk flow. However, I have given hope on that. I bought Shaklee from Guardian, it's soy based. When i bought it yesterday, it didnt cross my mind that my boy could be sensitive to soy, guess i was not detailed enough. Other brands do carry lecithin as well.

Phyllis: where is the block duct? Is it ard the breast or ard the nipple? If ard nipplen then better hand express and see if it helps. Last time when I had bad block duct it's a lump around my breast, it a bit red, warm and painful to touch. And yeah it likes to recur at the same place so got to play attention and dun let it form again.

6 pills seem like a lot but I guess it depends on the dosage per pill. For the gnc one, I think recommended dosage is 3-4 pill per day max. I don't recall that the effect is immediate as I think it's more fir long term prevention than fast cure. If its red and painful, you may want to try ibuprofen from gp, I think it helps to reduce the inflammation which will cause swelling if the ducts which makes it even harder for the milk to flow. Also, you do not want it to turn into mastitis. Last resort is antibiotics, which I think not so good as it'll promote thrush. Ha... Been through lots of blocked ducts before....

Dolly! i heed your advice today and dranks lotsa water. Guess what! I pump at 12pm and 5pm and got 160ml each.
happy.gif

Hi all. Just to share what I encountered today. I used a public nursing room to express. And there was a lady outside waiting to use it. She was with her toddler (I suppose she is also bf the child). She immediately hurled at me and said you have no baby! I have already tried to shortened my pump in order to leave the room for her quicker; resulted in much lesser BM output. Anyone else encountered this? Somehow, I xan't help but feel bit bad for using the nursing room to express. ONI room in the mall for this purpose plus diaper change.

Faaa: you have to accept me as friend before i can add u in.. The fb group is secret.. Name is may 2012 mummies!

Ck: actually nursing room also meant for pumping mah.. N i think its easier for her to latch using a nursing cover outside..i mean u cant possibly pump in public right? Mayb she difnt know u pumping?

Umm.. Is it commonly accepted that nursing room meant for pump too? Never Exp with my first kid as I did expressing in my ex co but this current co I'm in has no room so no choice but to go and use the one in mall...

Mummies who have problem with baby refuse bottle, I would like to recommend comotomo. I succeeded after using for 2 days to switch to nuk and my baby also learnt to accept pacifier. I bot 2 bottles 150ml Each at $28, only used one, if any mummy keen I can let go at $22 meet at mrt (pls pM me). The only distributor of this bottle is located at Jalan Pemimpin which is quite inaccessible, I paid for courier $6 but the investment is worthwhile now I hv no worries if going back to work.

hihi.. have already added those who sent me pm.. however.. there are some who i cant find.. so pls check your email.. i emailed you all my email already.. can you all add me instead?

Dolly the annoying block ducts are mainly at the bottom of my left breast today. A few small ones around the nipples. Brought the gel pack to office and manage to clear most of them but I can only get about 50-60ml after 30mins session.

I was under the impression that mummies with tons of milk will get block ducts but guess I'm wrong.

Back