(2012/05) May 2012

Sterlize pump one a day and wash after every use with warm water. Pumps can also be used and place in the fridge couple of hours until next pump. U can continue to sterilize after every use but parts may spoilt easier cos of the heat. I bought 2 freestyle connectors when I sent my pump for servicing and the cost $45 each.

Heat Rash - I swear by bathing in 金银花. Used this method for both my kids. After abt 2-3 times all rash/pimples will disappear.

Warmer - currently using tollyjoy food warmer to heat up EBM. U can use the warmer to heat up frozen food purée when bb gets older

Thanks Yingz n dolly ;)
FAAA: thanks for ur advice. I think it will b same result as we don't sterilize the pump part even we sterilize the bottle. Coz if contaminate happen at pump part it will contaminate the bottle while our BM flow from pump part to bottle. This is Wat I think....

my 11 weeks old baby is using Avent nipple 2. i think nipple 2 is for 1 month+. it would take him about 7 minutes to finish a 120 ml fm. if he can't finish the milk, i let him finish before the next feeding.

i read somewhere too that you don't need to sterilize pump after every use since bm has antibacterial properties.

Gracie, I didn't know I had thrush until I've seen my gynea. My nipple was very raw, there were white and reddish patches and the cracked or peeling parts does not heal. There were also stingin pain on and off.

Rabbitz and CK, Thks for your replies. I also try to console myself that baby is in good hands after I go to work. What is best for bb is more impt. Will feel lousy and rejected though, that I can't handle my own bb and he's not close to me. That's also partly why I dare not bring him out until now. Sad that I couldn't have little adventures of bringing him out for things like gatherings and bb spa while I'm free now. Rabbitz, are you able to settle your baby now? Sometimes I wonder is it becos of my bony arms which makes it uncomfortable when I carry him...

I hv to carry baby sit face front n walk around to pacify him. Or rock in baby rocker to put him for nap. He somehow doesn't allow me to cradle him to pat to sleep, will arch his back and tilt head back.... V scary and need to hold him properly and lots of strength to resist that. Is this normal for a 11week old????

Yup. Boil for 1 hr. it's very effective. U can put in the tub for baby to bathe or use it to rinse wipe after bath too. Adults can also use this to relieve itch

I use a pot which I used to boil confinement bathing herbs. Preferably don't use pots for cooking cos of the oil. Try it a few times sure to work wonders

My bb also 11 weeks old and hates the cradle position. I have to carry him upright but even then he'll cry still at times. Need to use pacifier to sooth him. Does your bb sleep through the night already? Mine still wakes up for milk every 3-4 hrs.

My baby is 11 weeks now and likewise, he don't like the cradle position. Have to either carry him upright or leave him on his tummy. My baby will only sleep through te night till 6am if he drinks at ard 10pm. normally his last week will be at 9pm and he will wake up for milk at ard 3am. So I am trying to drag his last feed to 10pm which is very tough as he gets cranky at ard 9pm and I will need to feed him, even though I had tried to give him a feed at 8pm, hoping he can drag till 10pm. But failed.

Rabbitz

My baby do that since week 2. Arching his back, twist and turn especially when he wants to be fed. My mother says ,"he is a strong boy with a bad temper."

I think that is normal so I just hold him to make sure he dun fall but don't restrict his movement. He usu calm down once we gave what he wants like milk or walk around or burp.

But i hope it dun become a habit. I will have to discipline him (when he is older of cos) if he tries to pull similar stunt in the public

Seems like quite a few of our bb dun like cradle position. If that's the case, how do you bottle feed your bb? That's the challenge I find when feeding at times as its difficult to calm him down in the cradle position to feed.

My gal is 9 week old, also like to be carried upright since week 3. She also hates the cradle position. My mum says shes kpo,like to see see look look while I walk her around.
My gal will wake up once for milk during the night. I take it as a reminder for my midnight pump.

What do you consider as sleep through? Do you just pat your bb back to sleep when they wake up at night without feeding milk and consider it sleep through? Or as long as they wakes up, you'll feed him? For my bb, as long as he wakes up and cry and the timing is more than 3 hrs, my mil will feed him. Are we not supposed to do that to train him to sleep through? If so, doubt it'll happen cos my mil will never want to "starve" her grandson.

I am surprised my baby wil arch his back and tilt head backeards forcefully at 2mth old. I was so worried he hv some behaviour issue. Didn't know infants hv 'temper' and express their emotions so early with all these violent stunts!

My baby latch on and feeds abt 2.5-3hrs. Usually he wakes up 2 times for feeding at night and about 6am. waking up to feed is ok but I hate e burping process cos baby will cry and resist. Hv to counter my sleepiness and hold him properly with all those 'stunts' he makes. He also hv tendency to knock his head against my shoulder when carried over to burp. Sometimes run his face furiously against my shoulder or chest too if I attempt to carry him lay against my cheat to sleep.

My gal is 10 weeks now. I drag her night feed for bout 30 min every 2 day since week 3 old. She able to sleep through whole night n wake up at 8am at her week 4 old but her last feed wil b 12am. N now her last feed is 10pm n can sleep until 9am.
While she never wake up for night feed but I still need woke up to pump. N now I give up the night pump n directly pump at 6am can get bout 200ml for bout 8 hours interval :p this volume still enough to feed her. Recently she is increase her intake from 100 ml to 120ml but my supply not yet increase, very worry not enough later on.. Sigh...

Esteelin, how did your gynae treat your trush? For your clogged ducts, did u see an LC to clear them?
>>Sleeping thru the night and cradle position: My gal's last feed for the night is at 9pm and she will typically sleep thru till 2.30 or 3am. This will b her longest stretch of sleep. After that she will wake up every 3 hours for milk. She drinks less at night, about 90ml instead of 100ml and wld pull away from the teat to go back to sleep when she's satisfied. We carry her in cradle but more upright, almost like sitting up cos she likes to look at things when she feeds. She will also arch her back and twist here and there so feeding can really work up a sweat for her and whoever is feeding her! Hahaa!

>>chai: I'm also worried my ss won't be enough for my ger soon. She is taking 100 now and we've been trying to increase to 110ml but she can't finish. My ss is just nice with a little extra now but may not be sufficient if her intake goes up continously. I'm taking fenugreek and think it helps. U can try increasing the number of pumps a day and pumping longer to signal an increase in demand. But don't worry yah if your BM is insufficient, there's always FM. We try our best to give them whatever BM we have
happy.gif

Can I find out from mothers here whether your bb is able to lift up their yea during tummy time? For fear of SIDS, I've always put my ger to bed on her back or on her side but never on tummy. I read that tummy time is v impt to strengthen their necks so that they can crawl and eventually stand up. My ger hates being put on her tummy and cries after being in the position for a few minutes. Any mothers have tips on how to get babies used to tummy time?

My baby at 11w can't support his head yet. Usually by when they can support head and sit upright? The stroller I hv says 3mth onwards cos lowest is recline position. I haven't start tummy time yet.

Yr babies start to play with toys yet? Mine only look at cot musical and not keen on rattles. I got a gym play mat which says 0m onwards but I put baby on, he's not keen to look at the dangling items. Now his only pleasure is sucking his hand and it seem so delicious he makes loud sucking sound too.

Increasing ss thru pumping;
According to my LC we shld by pump >10min max 15min else will hv soreness. If want to increase ss, increase frequency of pump, not duration. I'm also on lecithin to prevent blockage as I encounter times when no milk comes out when breast is full when I pump. I learnt a lot from my LC which I engage private n paid. The hospital parent craft is not helpful to provide BF info as most of time will ask u come down let them access.

Miss Freedom - U can try giving a dream feed to your bb at abt midnight or before u sleep. That will proBly last him/her till at least 7am

My baby is 3 months old liao, but neck still no strong. And she feeds 100ml in 2 separate feed at nanny place. At night she feeds almost every hour till midnight. Then next feed will be around 6am.
My supply increases w latching. So during weekend when I dun pump, my supply seems to get better cos my gal loves to latch.
My bust at bursting point now. Whole day working outside n no pump for almost 11 hours! Ytd 9 hours no pump I can get 250ml. Scarry n painful

My boy also 3 months already, n he doesn't like the cradle position coz i think he has associated it with sleeping.. Sometimes I don't care n let him whine a bit, in less than 2 mins he will fall asleep..He has to wake up once to drink also but I m trying to dream feed him at 10plus n first try was successful, he can sleep til abt 5am.. Now hoping he will learn this routine n we can sleep thru too!

Today he had his pnenmoccocus jab n seems abit fussy..btw, are we suppose to count baby's age by weeks? Or by the date of each month? Like born on 1 may then every 1st considered one month?

Hello,
can i know if any of your baby only drinks milk when she is half asleep? I have difficulty with mine. When she is fully awake she will fuss both at breast and bottle. Only after coaxing her to sleep...then she start to drink..How ? Very tired having to carry her and patting her
before feed and after feed still have to burp

My baby weigh only 4.5kg at 10 wks is it on the smaller side?

Gracie, I bought daktarin cream, which is an anti fungal cream from pharmacy to treat my thrush after researching online as well as recommended by a LC over the phone. For the blocked ducts, I took lecithin and used hot compress and self massage. Took quite a while to clear it but I think the lecithin works to prevent it as I used to get quite frequently before taking it. Though I would still have some hard lumps now and then which would clear with the pumps.

My boy still can't lift his head up on his tummy too, and will cry after less than 1min if placed on his tummy, so we do not really do much tummy time with him yet.

Dream feed is feeding bb when they r still asleep. I dream feed my ger at night. Basically pick her up to drink before she wakes up herself and start crying for milk. Sucking is a natural reflex so although the bb is still asleep, they will drink their milk. My experience is that they drink v well when dreamfeeding, no fussing and tossing ard. Also, no need to burp cos they drink well and don't take in much air.

My ger loves her cot mobile from fisher price, can entertain her for half hour. She will coo and 'talk' to her forest friends looking down at her! Absolutely cute! Also bought a play gym but she's not too keen at the dangling items as well. She's quite fascinated with some of the Lamaze toys I bought but she hasn't learnt how to swat and bat/grab things yet. I only recently removed her mitten to let her explore her hands and grabbing things. As expected, she scratches her face quite a bit but the scratches are superficial and will fade in a couple of hours. Only let her wear mittens at night cos scared she cold in air on room. She also loves to suck her hands, as though they r the most delicious things ard! Haha

Chai: sorry missed ur question.
Ytd pump at freestyle level 4 for 15 min, breast were full after 9 hours.
Today my gal latch at the bursting breast (11 hr no pump) total 15min, but din empty them. I pump later at level 3 for 11 min n get 190ml.
My nipple quite delicate now so wont pump at high level
Now my gal latching on both since she cry. Hopefully will empty fully

To increase milk ss, try fenugreek seeds from mustafa. $4.50 for 500g. Recmd by kkh lactation consultant. Will have mild ordor for 1-2 days. But really helps.

Don't reduce our pumping sessions, stock up while we can as once we return to work, the pumping sessions will be limited. Stress also cause our milk ss to plunge.

For sore nipples (mine bled and chapped), I can only say "tahan". Once you pass the initial stage, our nipples turn into "leather texture" meaning there is little pain sensation. Meanwhile, just dab breast milk on the sore/cracked areas. Noticed the bm dries up and leaves like a film over the skin.

For my bb facial scratches/mozzie bites, I dab bm direct on the spot. It's like a miracle cream since it has anti bacteria properties. By the next day, son's scratches will disappear. Read some mums actually use it as an eye drop if bb has eye irritation?! Unsure on reliability.

Finally had chance to go town with my mum from 11-6pm. Didn't bring pump but engorge easily as I miss bb. Had to release milk manually in Centrepoint washroom to relieve the pressure. But I plan to bring pump to work in the pigeon thermal bag. Can store avent manual pump attached to 330ml bottle + 240ml storage cup + napkin for those spills + nursing bra/pads + a small bottle cap to 'catch' any bm so as not to waste let down.

To ensure our bb still 'prefer' us over other caregivers, we must spend more time with them. I think they recognize our smell or heartbeat etc. We must be a bit diligent - carry, talk, bathe!! My mum and mil will help carry/feed if they pop by, but I insist on bathing as I believe the environment is much like in the womb and our bb will be relaxed. Who's face they see? Mummy's!!

Let's not be too concerned at what age they can sleep through the night. Eventually they all will. Most importantly is to ensure they get enough feeds for healthy growth. I plan to wake son up even if he sleeps through the night to feed him. But then again, this boy needs to bulk up.

Dolly - have u started working already? Why don't u bring your pump out? For myself, my girl is coming 9 wks but I have yet to venture out for more than 5 hrs cos I'm not sure wether I get engorged. Do u think your supply will be affected since u only pump once? I like to hear and learn abt other mums' pumping experience. Thanks for sharing
happy.gif

Currently I'm taking Domperidone and Lactogreek. Pumping abt 4-5 times per day from 9am onwards. Last pump abt 10+ at night. I latch my girl from abt 2am to 7am as and when she demands. Current pump yield abt 80-100ml if I pump at 3hrs interval. Anyway suggestions to increase?

If there are blocked ducts, have to let bb latch (provided nipples not painful) Their sucking action actually removes the clog. Imagine the nipple is the 'door' and areola is the 'exit area'. We have to roll the nipples and then areola to soften any clogs. Then keep massaging any lumps we feel in the breast itself. Clear the flow channel. Kkh lactation consultant's advice - if we don't open the 'door', the milk cannot come out. I had blocked ducts and even tried to use hospital grade pump to clear. No use. Little hero came to the rescue with 2 day latch on. After that I pump only as I like to know how much son consumes and I fear breast infection. Hee!

Faaa, perhaps drink more water and completely empty each breast to trick body into producing more milk? It is during let down that I feel milk is flowing out quickly. Wish there is some way to have multiple let downs in one pumping session. Anyone got experience?

FAAA: I was working at client place, need to bring laptop ...etc. I don't drive and there isn't even the water point or pantry. Anyway, I have 2 pumps, one at office and one at home, so I pump before I left, but unexpected delay in work loh
happy.gif

I'm taking lecithin as well, found it at Guardian Pharm. Used to have blocked ducts everyday but have cleared up since I started lecithin. How much lecithin are you gals taking per day? I read online recommended dosage is 4.5g, I'm currently taking about 1.5g.

Regarding daktarin for thrush, I was prescribed it for my girl but I have problem trying to apply it on her tongue. She either throws up or gets a lot of phelgm when she tries to swallow it. Any ideas?

Marilyn - I do have 2 let-downs if the interval us more than 4hrs. Now I trying to take more fluids hoping to increase supply. I also ordered some sacred tea. Me super kiasu

Faaa > after drinking scared tea
1. how much did your supply increase?
2. where do you order - from origin jamu?
3. how long have you been drinking and what's the frequency?
4. need to constantly drink in order to maintain supply or supply can be maintained?

Hi Phyllis, the sacred tea has not arrived yet. I ordered from origins jamu 4 pkts. Once I try it out I will post here if effective. Hee

Phylis, after I took out my breast milk from fridge I will pour milk into another bottle sterilize n rinse with warm drinking water. Then I will put the bottle into 60degree water to warm it.

Thanks Faaa keep us posted. I'm keen to find out effective ways to increase ss. I'm currently taking motillium but sometimes forget to take the third dose. 3-6 hourly pumps yield between 70-130ml.

Thanks py. For me I try not to transfer bottles as there's wastage of bm. Not much to begin with so I just use the Medela bottles to warm. I was previously storing bm in glass bottles but recently bought another 3 150ml Medela bottles. Sad that the old bottles trade in is over. They discontinued the program.

Phylis, last time I also heartache on milk wastage but later I think the wastage amount not much..
Actually I have always been thinking, how much bf makes a difference to baby? Does 20ml bf for each feed helps in bb health? Or it make no difference?
Anyone asked this question before?

Back