(2012/05) May 2012

dolly: i change after every feeding. yeah,i think it's time to change to size M or switch brands. thanks!
happy.gif

hi dolly,

what is the interval of your pumping to get 200 ml /pump? and how much does your baby drink per session and in a day?

i pump approx 120~150 ml per session and i feed the same amount about 8 times a day.

kinda tiring since the interval is so close. wondering if i could feed more per session and have a little more time inbetween.

Dolly: 200ml per pump in 15 min .. really envy u
My son takes about 120ml per feed 8 times a day
but i only pump average 4-5 times a day and the most i could get is 180 ml++ and i pump for 45 min or so for that amount.
I have to supplement with formula
sad.gif

I notice my DS has red skin in the folds around his neck and underarm. There is even rashes around his neck area. Any babies experiencing it? May I know what's the cure for it?

Pumping and feeding:
I can only pump 100ml for 15mins per session and I feed 6 times a day with the 100ml. Am I under feeding?

Dolly, I share your sentiment, Im also v tired of pumping very 3 hours.

littledotty: nanny price is around $550 to $650, and once baby pass 6th month, add another $50 for the porridge.
I stayed in a condo, and We put little paper in the post box of every unit looking for nanny in the same condo. It's sheer luck!

Ginger: I pump between 4 to 6 hourly, once in the day and once in the afternoon, my gal is with nanny from 8+ to 730pm, she feeds 2 to 3 times during then, each time 100ml and split into 2 somemore. When she's back, I feed her 3 hours after her last feed, which is around 8pm or 9pm. Then comes night time when she can feed/puke many times till sleep.

Groundpepper: Maybe you overpump? 45 min is very very long! My gal is taking less though.

liang2: I'm pumping twice a day only, the rest just latch. And on weekends I'd love to latch all the way... save all the washing and sterilizing

Just do a counting, she feeds around 6 times a day on weekday.
At nanny's place - each feed is split into 2, cos she stops before reaching 100ml and might wait for 30 min before taking the remaining (need to warm up somemore!)

Her schedule:

1. Latch 6am or 7am - Morning feed depends on when she wakes.
2. EBM 9am or 10am
3. EBM
4. EBM 5pm or 6pm - might feed till 8pm
5. Latch 8pm or 9pm
6. Latch 11pm or later
sleep sometimes wake at 4am / dun sleep at all

I wonder if my boy is having too big an appetite. he needs about 150 ml every feed 7-8x a day, if i give any less, he will keep crying with mouth open like looking for food.

at first i though it was just a grow spurt. but it had been going on for 2 weeks now...

getting a bit worried as i do not have any excess EBM to store to get ready when he is placed into infant care a couple of months later.

Ground pepper

what pump are you using? Doesn't your nipples hurts after pumping for so long? I am using medela, the instruction says tune to the highest bearable (but not painful) level for best result. For me i alternate between stimulation and expression phase to give get more milk expressed in a shorter time frame. normally my pump session is about 15 min before the flow become a very slow drip then i'll stop. Rest the nipples for the next pump 2 hours later.

Hi Dolly, thanks for sharing your feeding schedule. As DS is not willing to latch, I can only rely on pumping.

My Feeding Schedule:
6am
9am
12noon
3pm
6pm
8pm

So my pumping will be 15mins before each feed

After he is more settled with his reflux, I might consider increasing his milk to 120ml.

Liang2, your schedule so regular! After 8pm sleep huh? My gal don't sleep at night again, feed and poo till almost 3 am! So scared of night time now.
I started to use calendula cream for number 1, he was having rashes on his face around 1st mth. CL use many means still can't clear, then my friend gifted a tube. And his rashes cleared really fast!
I'm still using that for my gal, but now seems to hv a new formula, like not so fragrant and concentrated.but still good to use. I uses the shower gel, the lotion, sun block ...etc as well. Buy from spree or BP is cheaper than from watsons

Ginger : thx for the info. I'm using medela freestyle. Need to clarify I only use single pump so total time taken is abt 45min with each side taking 20 min or so. I have unbalance milk flow. One being half the amount of the other.
It's been 2 months and my nipple still hurt. Prolly due to the incorrect pumping? I only use stimulate phase for 20 sec.

Thank you Dolly and BabySean for the feedback. I heard that California calendula cream is really gd, works like a miracle cream but dare not buy after read some negative reviews of the new formula. I think I will still buy a small one to try out.

Today my DS cried and struggled when I tried to apply some Destin cream on the fold of his neck. I need my husband to hold him while I apply the cream. It din seem to clear the redness (maybe I'm too impatient, only apply once) instead the cream leaves some white residue on his neck. It looks dirty and ugly.

Dolly: my feeding schedule plus minus 30mins, he is quite ok with it. Yar i will put him to bed at 8.30pm, latest by 9pm. I tried to force him to Gina Ford routine but failed. According to the routine, he can only sleep a maximum of 3 1/2 hr during the day. Supposingly babies who are under the routine will be very contented. He ended up being very cranky and I really can't take it. Now I juz let him sleep when he is tired.

Hi mummies, sorry to interrupt. I'm helping my babysitter to look for her next charge, can start from Sep onwards. Tampines area, day time weekdays. If interested please PM me. Thanks!

liang2: oh I din think of using desitin on the rash! My gal also has some redness on her neck. I try to make sure I wipe it dry after shower. Din put California BB cream there as worry with sweat may worsen it. Else I will wet cotton wool to wipe that area too. So far seems btr. Let me know if desitin works on ur boy.

Hi mummies,

My boy is born on 28May. Can any mummies share w me how u manage exclusive pumping? As in 1) do u guys wash the parts n milk bot w bb detergent n sterilize every usage?

2) Is it ok to hand compress while pumping coz I realized that's mre milk being expressed out (ie breasts r emptied faster). But will there b enuff stimulation?

3) Ever go out w or w/o bb? Pump outside?

>> ngcywc
hello.. i am almost exclusive pumping.. only latch once a while.. i wash and sterilise after every pump.. latation consultant taught to massage while pumping (if tts what you meant by hand express).. after pumping i will also try to hand express to squeeze out remaining milk.. went out with bb before.. without pump though cos too many things to carry.. try to be back home asap.. i try to wake evey 3 hr during the night but recently just slp thru :X i am now pumping the 6 am pump.. yawns..

>> tethysea
you dont accept PM? how much are the charges like?

>> groundpepper
i am using freestyle too and nipples still do hurt a bit during pumping.. stimulation phase i let it run the full 2 min..

>> sjbaby
some place have bottle warmer in nursing room.. else can bring thermo plus cold water and another container to warm up ebm..

>> pumping & feeding
sobz.. everytime i pump for 30 min.. can only get a miserable 50ml *sigh* feeding bb about 6 times a day with 120ml.. need to supplement with formula..

>> ginger
can try dragging the feeds abit so dont have to feed so many times.. like if you feed 3 hrly now.. drag to 3 hr 15 min for a week.. then 3.5 hr the next week etc..

>> sardonyx
wah 5.1kg and your bb cant wear huggies s already? last measured a few weeks ago my bb is 4.7kg.. now still wearing s.. i still got 6 packs of s.. hope bb wont outgrow them too soon! leaked a few times when using huggies.. no idea why..

i am using huggies for daytime.. mammypoko for night time.. sometimes bb pooped so much at one time (he like to store shit and pooped all out at one time).. that even mammypoko can also leak shit..

let bb cry out sometimes i guess.. got once i was pumping so cant carry bb.. he was crying out so loudly i feel so heart pain.. but i think he cry until tired.. then he fall asleep himself.. :X

>> chai..
i think you should consult pd.. belly button should be dry..

Help! My irl, coming 2 mths is having constipation... She hasn't been pooping since yesterday and she is super cranky... Cried from 10pm till 3am this morning...

Not too sure if it's becos she had too much FM feed yesterday during the day but I will need to switch her to FM soon too vs supply is very low. Anything that we can do to help her poop? Also when do bring her see doc if she still doesn't poop?

Dear mummies,

Regard rashes on the neck lines. My baby has it quite bad when he was about 2wks old. My CL ask me to buy the rush powder, brand "Agnes" . The bottle is red in colour. Just apply a coat on the neck line. Two days later, all rashes gone. Very effective. You all can try.

BabySean: hm... i may not have dry those folds v well. My boy perspire quite abit around his neck and the sweat got trap there. Initially my mum was the one who told me abt destin then I google abt it before i let my boy try. This morning I notice the redness subside a little. I will continue to monitor.

At night, usually pat my boy to sleep but last night I let him cry himself to sleep. I wanted to train him to fall asleep on his own. He cried for a good 10 mins. While I was trying to tahan my heartache, my husband asked me if it will hurt my boy emotionally. After hearing what he said my heart break lor and now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing or should I continue to pat him to sleep. Dun know what am I going to do tonight.

ngcywc: I'm a exclusive pumping mum.

1. I wash my pump parts with hot soapy water and I sterilise the parts once a day.
2. I dun do hand express. Like yingzz, I massage my breast in a circular motion before pumping.
3. So far I have not tried pumping outside. if I do bring my bb out, I feed him formula.
4. I wake up once during the night to pump.

>> zp1503
you mostly feeding bm? mine is half bm half fm.. and bb doesnt poop everyday too.. if yours is constipation after fm.. maybe its cos the fm doesnt suit your girl?

yingzz:
We've introduced FM at night only, hoping that she can sleep longer. Other than that it's all BM and she was pooping fine. But yesterday we brought her out in the morning thus fed her FM twice and she didn't poop the whole day.

Is it normal that they dun poop everyday? Or

Pooping: I think it's normal for baby not pooping every day. My son did not poop for a day at first. I was really worried too. I asked my pd and she said its normal that they dun poop everyday.
My pd intro me to include Friso comfort into his fm which is Similac total comfort. After which my DS poo is more watery and yellow in colour. Friso comfort is for baby with constipation.
But 3 days ago my DS did not poop for 2 days. I m more concern this time and thinking to bring him to Pd but my hubby ask me to observe till Monday. Luckily he pooped 2 times yesterday and the amount is huge ( too much detail). :/ And he did his business as per normal this morning.

My gal on full FM, also dun poo daily. Usually once/twice alternate days. But when she poo also a lot. She's drinking Similac. Her poo is dark greenish color.

Liang

I can understand. Is hard to leave your baby just cry like that.. For my case, my husband don't allow me to let him cry..he says baby is crying for love, so have to carry. Haha..
But lucky, sometimes my baby can self entertain for almost 1hr, no need carry. If not I go crazy when he is awake

nycywc

1) i wash the pump parts and sterilize after every pump. hence i got 2 sets since i need to pump ard 3 hourly.

2) yup, i always compress my breast during pumping so that the breast is emptied properly. for me, the pump can't emptied the breast very well adn i will have reduce supply.

3) try that a few times. i bring the chilled BM and warm it up outside. Didnt try to pump outside yet since i couldnt find a seclusive enough place to do the pumping (especially when i have to keep massaging :p)

4) yes i wake up to pump too but not as close frequency. but by 5-6 hours my breast will be so painful i WILL wake up

Liang: I use calendula cream on my baby everywhere.. Ha, starting I bought it for his cheeks which had a bad rash and it cleared up within a really short time after I applied.. And now I apply everywhr, under his arms, his folds, neck, diaper area.. I use the non-talc powder too.. Really like e calendula scent..

I only latch baby abt three to four times a day now, e rest on formula n he poo everyday at ard the same time..my pd also said need not poo everyday.. I give baby water too, mix w gripe water..

The most tired moment is at night, stir n wakes up on some days.. I dun let baby cry his heart out, heart pain see his face all tears. N I carry n pat him to sleep, sometimes when he can't sleep well n keep stirring, I place him on my chest.. To me, I guess I choose to believe we can't spoil the child at this stage.. I m still trying to wean him off his 4plus am feed..

I also dun sterilise my pump after each session. I jus rinse with water and put into a container to dry with the lid slightly open. I sterlize my pump when I sterliZe bottles then do together. Is it ok? Also if forget to assemble bottles in sterlizer immediately after its complete, if do so later still need to re steam? After bottles sterlizer can keep 24hrs right? Or 12?

My baby drinks v little milk now at 9w, I latch on but he drinks like within 10min and done. Once I tried to feed with bottle, he took only 50ml. kinda worried about his low intake but PD says as long as wet diapers n poo is ok. How to increase his appetite?? my freezer is packed with frozen milk and no more space if he still not drinking much
sad.gif

Hi mummies, anyone using avent single electric pump? I find it quite difficult to remove the motor from the diaphram (transparent dish) always gets stuck. Any ideas?

Rabbitz: dunno lei, that time i buy the sterilizer the sales person tell me can stay sterile for 12hours provided you don't open the cover. But i dun care la, usually if i don't assemble the bottles after opening the cover, i try to assemble them ltr within 3hours. so far no problem.

Ginger: can you share how to do compression while pumping?

YHO

i use my 2 hands to squeeze together my breast and push towards the aroela/nipples or press/stroke my breast towards the nipples.

i engaged a LC during my earlier days when i was having low milk supply and difficulty in latching. The LC press and massage my breast during the feed to my boy and say it helps to increase flow so i kept using this technique when latching and pumping

rabbitz

actually i read on line they never say need to sterilze after every single use unless is for a pre-matured baby. Just that i felt since need to wash, sterlising is just another putting into the sterilizer so i always put the pump set in with the bottles too.

Pressing while feeding shld help cos when I pump and press onto the outter side of breast, sprouts of milk shoots out then if I release, no more. But then this can cause bruise if press too long

I wash and sterilize my Medela parts every time I'm done with pumping then leave on the rack to air. For milk bottles I'll assemble them together once I remove from the sterilizer - usually I try to do it once it's ready but night time I'll leave it inside till next feed.

Does any of your babies make a snorting sound at night during sleep and also during feeding (latch and bottle)? Sounds like a pig snorting. I've checked his nose and it's not blocked by dirt - it's clean. Is it normal? My mother in law said could be phlegm. What should I do?

Does your babies vomit out milk one hour later after feeds?Even after burping my boy tends to vomit out 1/2 mouthfuls of milk.

Phyllis

My mother said the same thing! But I ask the pd. She is it is not really phlegm. She says because baby nose passage tends to be narrow so drainage not so good so after crying the mucus stays at the nose cavity thus when suck/breath will have these snorting noise.

Thanks Ginger. Glad that it's normal I was just thinking if there is a need to pop by pd today.

I got a nasal spray from pd guess will use that to ease the blockage. That time got it because he had a big piece of dirt stuck deeply in his nostrils which I can't remove. Will also check with pd this sat as he's due for his 3rd jab.

I finally got the calendula cream, going to use it on my boy later.

Last night I resumed back to patting my boy to sleep. Cannot tahan to see my boy cry himself to sleep.

Phyllis Setok: my boy also vomit frequently after his feed, it can be immediate or after some time. However, my boy doesn't seem to be affected by it. According to my PD, it's reflux which can be pretty common in babies. He prescribed mortillium but my son still vomit after medication, juz not as frequent. You can try to hold yr baby upright for a longer time after the feed. You can also read this http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

Phyllis: my gal can spit out milk after nearly 4 hrs after feeding. But usually is when she burp or hiccup. She can burp everytime we carry her upright or after crying. Very gassy. Nvr give her any med though. Now I try not to feed her til too full.

how are your babies napping now during the day? my boy sometimes sleep for really long hours, and even the whole afternoon! but at night still can sleep..is it the growth spurt?

but he has been very irregular with his milk..sometimes when he is napping, he just doesnt wake up to drink milk and i just let him be..ha, think they know what is best for them..
happy.gif

Hi liang2 and babysean I put bb on my shoulder to burp it's a lot faster to hear him burp this way but sometimes he still ends up vomitting some milk. It works better for him than sitting him upright to burp. I've been feeding him 110 ml for several weeks and he's comfortable with this amount - he's 7 wks old. Gave him 120 ml a few times and he puke even more.

diaper leaked twice in one week - when I was feeding baby. even if i switched to a bigger Huggies size, it still leaked the second time. it was as if i was the one who peed! what could have gone wrong? the diaper was tightly fastened.

is a greenish poo normal?

how do you stop baby from "eating" his whole hand? if i try to take it away from him, it's useless because he'd put it back again.

Phyllis: My gal will be 4 month old on 1st Aug. Drinking 150ml 3-4hrly. Try increase to 180ml but will vomit more out. So resume bk to 150ml.

Sardonyx: Which huggies u using? I try the ultra green packaging overnite, nvr leak. Did u adjust the sides at thigh area after fastening? Urs is BB boy right? Last time I got adjust my boy's penis to be straight to prevent leaking. Now my gal's pampers usually leak if I nvr fasten tight when she sleep in sarong. My gal drinks Similac, also dark greenish poo.

Littledotty: my boy same same, sleeps a lot during the day. Initially was concern but since it doesnt affect his sleep at night, I don't care. However, I do wake him up for his milk.

Phyllis Setok: I don't burp my boy over the shoulder already, I scare he spit out milk and dirty my clothings :S

Back