(2012/05) May 2012

Massage and pplace fingers on areola, push into yr breast (tug in) and press areola / squeeze. I can't really describe well in here but u can google some video demo.

Esteelin: The last time I took lecithin was when I was latching #1, can't remember got side effect leh, but my that lump of block duct (look a bit reddish from outside) was cleared after few days. And that's w sucking from my boy together with me pressing it as well.

Any mummies bought changing table? What's your review and from where?

1. Changing table with shower tub
2. Changing table - for diapers n clothes changing

amyyeo:
I use the medication every day but mostly during night feed as my DS cries only at night so PD says can start feed at night

Hello!

I'm Aug mummy. Just cancelled my CL coz heard alot of bad stuff from the May/June mummy who used her.

Can any mummy here recommend your CL whom you used and is good? My edd is late Aug.

Thanks!

Empty breast after latch: do we need to pump until totally no milk? I read it's advised max pump 15min (with or without lat h) to prevent soreness n tissue damage. But 15min can't empty breast should just stop?

Hi mummies,my 2month old baby boy is starting to suck on his mittens. Urgh, so gross and wet. I don't intend to give pacifier as I'm concerned that he will be over reliant and of course the dental development .. seems like he found his own equipment though -.- wondering if i should I try stopping him.. seems quite unhygienic??
When I remove his mittens, he sucks on his shirt. Doesn't seem to be fond of his fingers yet which I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.

Any advice mummies?

My baby also bites on his mittens and I will give him pacifier. He has tendency to rub and try to cover his face and eyes with mittens too!

rabbitz:
i usually pump for 30 min.. with massage at 10 min interval.. then hand express after..

YHO:
mine will also suck mitten.. and even the bolster if it comes near to his mouth.. if he dun wear mitten he will suck his hands.. i think quite hard to keep stopping them right?

Hi Kris - can you share how often you feel the pain in your breast/nipples? Is it frequent or less than 5 times/day (eg?) . I am also experiencing occasional needle/shooting like sensations in my breast/nipples and not sure if I shd see a doctor. thanks!!

Rabbitz and yingzz: Yeah it's so difficult to stop them from sucking on their mittens, though it's quite funny to see them enjoying their mitten licking
happy.gif

Just to share, went to my gynae yesterday as I have rashes on my breast. Told her about sharp shooting pains in my breast in between pumps and she said I had fungal mastitis and which is different from the normal mastitis and thrush -not too sure if they are the same (?). She gave me travocort cream and diflucan to clear it up.

Perhaps, you should check with your doc. Renniee..

Sorry, wrong phrasing. I think I have both the thrush and the fungal thing. But I forgot to ask about BM.

Kris: any idea if the BM we expressed out during the thrush period is still drinkable? I have frozen my ebm and not sure it's infected.

U went to the gynea who delivered yr baby? Mine is male gynea and a bit weird for him to inspect my breasts ... Actually can we just go to GP?

I experience round e clock pain, nipples and areola pain from pumping and breast whole area tender n sore. Not sure if it's normal cos seems a lot of people experience breast pain too. After my recent engorgement, I always hv lumps All round when breasts are full and diff to start let down but nothing comes out when i pump. It's v frustrating and i hv to hand expeess whoch is pain n tiring. I also been thinking whether I hv some sort of breast infection but I dontt have fever nor the red streaks on breast (main symptoms). Mine is 24hrs pain and constantly there...didn't go away after my engorgement. I recall only nipple and areola pain prior to that.

Can I just visit a women's clinic? Or hv to specific see gynea?

Same here, I constantly experience discomfort in breast, but not unbearable pain. When bb press against my breast when carrying also pain. I thought normal cos of frequent pumping...

My gynea also male, am wondering too if gp can diagnose breast problems.

Should we go gynae, pd, lactation consultant to diagnose the breast pain problem? Who is the real expert? Or can a normal GP be able to diagnose and treat...

Hi ladies,

I think you can either see your gynae or lactation consultant abt your breast discomforts.

If normal engorgement, think LC will be able help but if its infected then prob need gynae to diagnose? That's what I think, so if not sure what is wrong then shud prob just consult gynae. Usually I see my gynae abt breast milk issues cos I don't hv an LC.

rabbitz : If you have lumps ard ur breasts u might want to massage them with a hot towel/compress before u pump, cos lumps means milk ducts are clogged.
Sometimes, i try to massage my breasts in hot shower.
If ur baby can latch, it'll be better to have ur baby unclog by latching. While baby latches then u press on the lumps.
If nipple and areola hurts from pumping, could be breasts shield not right size or suction too powerful resulting in laceration.

If milk ducts remains clogged for too long, it might be infected (mastitis) , so have to take care.

Rabbitz: actually I'm not sure Cos I went to my gynae (female)who delivered my baby. And I dunno any LCs. But for me, is more breast aches than nipple pain.

I'm still not too sure Why I got fungal mastitis though. Now I'm trying to be diligent and clean and dry my breasts b4 and after pump or when I leak too much on my breast pads. My gynae did say dun use any towels or bras that has black spots on them as the fungus can infect our nipples.

Hi every1, I delivered my bb on 11 may, seldom log in as too busy n tired with bb..aft my CL left, my bb can't seem to slp on his own. He needs to be cuddled n when I put him down into bed, he will be awake and cry.. Need to make sure he is really in deep slp b4 I put him down.. It's very tiring as he can only slp ard 2.30am and wakes up ard 11am.. He didn't slp much in the afternoon aft he wakes up.. Seems abit strange rite?
Any1 face the same prob as me? I ask PD and he says unless I can jus leave him to cry for Ng to learn that no1 will carry him
I tried n I end up crying cos bb was crying terribly..
sad.gif

Will sleeping in a sarong help? I also dunno how come he become like that.. Mayb my CL cuddled him to slp at nite cos I seen a few times last time. Haiz...
Im trying to create a rountine of waking him up at 7am but if he dun slp in the aft, I will be very tired!

Hi vone, think most of us are facing the same prob as u mentioned. So do I, infact I'm carrying n cuddling my gal to slp now. I believe is becos they are so used in our womb that's why they need someone to carry for sense of security. Imagine 9 months in our womb being cuddled, and suddenly the cuddling stops. Of course they will cry.
I also tried to establish some form of routine but it's not easy. I give in to sarong (yaolan) else I really couldn't catch any slp in the noon. But only let my gal slp in yaolan in the noon for a nap or whenever no one helps me. Will let her slp with me, and similarly, need to cuddled to deep sleep. I know Its a bad habit but no choice. Have to carry on else she will keep crying and might ended up "swallowing air" which I'm afraid will lead to Colic.

Any mummies having my same problem?

My 1mth+ daughter feeds on EBM during the day and FM during the night. She feeds every 2hrs no matter if it's EBM or FM... I tried to increase her quantity thinking that it can last her longer but she normally cannot finish and the max she takes is 110ml. She's like on the diet, many meals but small quantity...

Anyone have any advice?

Hello to all the May Mummies,

I wish to join you gals, hopefully I'm welcome here. I'm also a May Mummy i delivered my boy on 7 may.

My DS is 3.19kg at delivery and he is currently 5.9kg. As he refuses to latch, I have to feed him EBM. However, I still need to supplement him with formula for his night feed.

my girl is also the same.. wants to be carried most of the time when she is awake.. nowadays she dont nap in the afternoon even though she looks tired.. keep yawning and crying away..

she only starts to slp/nap from 5pm onwards.. on good days, she will slp continuously from 5pm till next day but she still wake up 3-4hourly for feeds..

on bad days, she will slp at 5pm wake up at 8 then cries to be carried then continue to slp after 11pm feed..

how can we break this cycle.. sigh.. i tried not to let her slp but its quite hard...

people are telling me things will get better when baby turns 3 months.. is this true?

I am also having similar issue. Bb wants to be carried to sleep. Once in cot, he will wake up. Once or twice a day, he will cry hysterically and refuse milk (when it is time for feed). RecEntly his milk intake is lesser than b4. He also tend to vomit milk even after burp. Any advice if we should be concern about vomiting milk and his cranky behaviour? We tried most common means (check his diaper, apply oilment on his tummy, last night gave one dOse of colic medicine)..

ZP: you tried to delay your bb feed by 15 mins for 3 days then another 15 mins for another 3 days till you reach your desired time frame. You will hv to coax your bb or give him pacifier for that 15 mins.

that's wat i do and my bb now is on a 4 hourly feed.

re: bb wants to be carried to sleep.

hv you all tried swaddling your bb?

previously i stop as my bb always struggle his hand out so i thot he do not want to be swaddle but he did not sleep well and always cry.

since i restart to swaddle him, he now cry less when sleeping.

CK: Yr bb might be having reflux. Recently my DS also vomit after his feed. PD said that it's reflux and prescribe motilium. He is much better now. After a feed, you can also try to hold your baby upright for a longer period of time.

zp, my girl is like that too. worst part is at night she only drink 60ml per feed so after sleeping for 2 hours, she will wake up. only certain feed in the day can reach 120 or 150ml, which can last her 4 hours sleep. both EBM and FM works no difference on her at all. actually this happened after i put her off from GF's schedule. with GF's schedule, she only wake up once in midnight when she was 2 wks old. tried to feed her more but end up she vomitted, so i gave up, just stand her for waking up twice at night, hopefully she can eat more when she grows bigger.

Re: sleeping pattern, according to GF, it is the habit that we should had trained our bb to sleep on their own since day 1. which means put them down while they are sleepy and get them to settle down in 10-20 mins themselves. in this way, bb will learn to settle back to sleep even if they wake up in between. i had been following this method so far and thank god my girl don't need to be cuddled to sleep so far. the solution is really the cry out method if your bb had already assiciated pat, rock, cuddle to sleep. personally i felt it is really not easy. my own girl just wake up making a bit sucking sound i will feed her immediately liao, will feel heart pain if i am slow and made her cry for milk. So i think for mummies having bb being cuddled to sleep, if you don't mind, just continue it, cuddle them 10-15 mins after feeding till they are in deep sleep then put them down, so that they won't wake up easily. later on when they get older, then train them to sleep on their own again.

mermaider:
I wouldn't dare to delay her feed cos she'll scream the whole house down and her face will turn purple... I did try the pacifier but she knows it's a hoax and will cry even louder...

My gynae is a male and I had to show him my breasts when I complain of pain. It's not so bad as I was wearing those spagetti strap nursing tops so just unclip and pull down. He see only no touch. Did not even bother to get a nurse in to witness

Reneiee - my pain not really that frequent. Probably less than 5 times a day bah excluding the discomfort during pumping. Anyway thrush will clear on it's own even without treatment. Just make sure nipples are kept clean and dry.

YHO - I asked my gynae that qn. He say got chance can transfer the thrush thru ebm but no need to worry too much coz like I said earlier, thrush can clear by itself without harming baby. I also have alot of frozen ebm but dun intend to throw coz baby did not get thrush from me so far so I figure my milk shld be ok

Kris: thanks! I didnt know thrush could clear off by its own. Any idea if we had to do anything to help make it go away?

My medicine was quite expensive :\ but i was more afraid baby would catch it from me.
so no choice better to see doc.

Hi I am from June thread but bb norm on 16 may premature.

Seems like my bb also fuss at 4am onwards. So phew I am not alone.

Totally agree with Mermaider. My bb Always struggles to put her hands out so I stop swaddling n found she always get frightened. After swaddling she sleeps longer.

YHO - just have to keep the breast and nipples clean and dry loh. Moisture promotes growth of bacteria. Plus take some probiotics. I've been taking yogurt drinks

Hi mummies,
Been busy with bb, dont have time to lock in. Since like everyone have the similar prob after cl left.

I think i have some post natal blue. For the past few days, i been crying on and off when i cant settle my bb.plus got some much housework to do as i got no helper.
My bb will get super cranky from 5pm to 8-10pm. Carryand rock him he also cry.. Until my backache. For him, his night slp still ok.. Unsually he will get up abt 7am. And the day start again.
Buf my bb very funny..usually from 5am onwards, he will start to make noise in his sleep.esp his nose..alot of sound...no cry but keep moving. Like very uncomfortable. I dont kbow why. Anyone knows y?
And he like to furt at night..look so uncomfortable. Like alot of gas.
Today i start to feed him some gripe water. Wonder will it helps..

I am getting very tired, stress and helpless at times...

Hi Priscilla, my CL told me when bb keep moving at nite n make noise, normally it's becos they r hungry but in too deep slp to cry. This is wat happen to my boy.. So usually I will quickly prepare his milk n feed him. He will drink n go bk to slp
Aft that.. Which is gd cos I can continue to slp
happy.gif
I'm also taking care of bb alone, can understand hw u feel.. Take care of ur self n whenever there's an opportunity to rest, pls rest..

Recently my boy seems better, slp earlier st nite ard 11.30pm! Hopefully things will get better. ;)

Thx kris!!

Btw mummies, what do u normally pack and bring along for short trips with baby(3-5hrs)? I'm thinking of using a baby carrier.. wondering how long i can carry bb for.. and the oh so heavy diaper bag: \

Priscilla: My baby does that too. If he strains and cries while trying to fart, i will rub ruyi oil on his tummy. I think it provides some comfort.

Usually when he stirs but didn't cry for milk, i'll leave him be. But i'll try to let him have a full feed before bed. Sometimes he can sleep for 6hours before drinking milk.

Pricilla: My gal fart a lot at night too, so sometimes I'll check many times to see if she poo or just fart
happy.gif
My massage lady taught me to massage her calf area to help rid off wind as well. I'll sometimes do that and she will be contented for 20 min or so.

Dear May mummies,

Sorry to intrude. I'm a Aug MTB. Just wondering if you have Mt A Bath Tub and/or Dumex Nursing Cover to giveaway for a token? If yes, can PM me? Tks.

Priscilla, I understand how you feel, I am taking care of the baby alone too..but he has established his own routine in the day which I think most babies are easier to take care..only at evening around 7pm he starts to get fussy and will cry even after being carried and walked all over the house..supposed to stop when babies get around 3 mths old..starting I get very tired too, coz dunno what he wants and back started to ache..now, what I do is before he gets cranky, I carry him to sleep and past the cranky time, he is alright already..I read that advice off the internet. It helps me, perhaps you can try too..at least it kept him off the wailing and screaming..

My baby has sensitive nose, told by pd, that's why he has the same snorting in the early morning too..usually i will put him to sleep on my chest (he lies on his tummy) n he will be ok..i also massage his calf like dolly, i heard it helps relieve gas n prevent colic..

really tired at times n look like xiao cha bor in the mirror...haaa...

mama_gene: with the baby lying down and legs facing you, you hold each calf in your hands, like wrapped around, thumb on top and four fingers on the calf and knead, then rub in clockwise/anti-clockwise direction..

hope it helps..i also give him hou zao san (a kind of powder i bought from medical hall)..this is advised by my mummy
happy.gif

Littledotty, I'm doing the same as u. I will try to make baby awake and active in the day by keep talking and playing with her. Hopefully will make her tired n slp throughout. She also likes to make some noise and cranky before slp. And I have to carry and pat her to slp. And I ended up with two wrist that seems to be hurt from the carrying
sad.gif
have to go accupuncture Liao.

Btw, my gal is turning two months soon, but I noticed she's kinda drooling and have a liking to suck on things. Does this means she's teething soon?

Anyway, pricilla, pls don't feel so. Things will only get better, u are just not used to being alone to care for ur baby. I don't have a CL and my mum is helpin me, so eventually I have to take care of baby alone. The first week after discharge is the
most "Siong" period. Then I also starts to cry every now and then whenever my gal cries. It's due to hormonal changes as well. Right now, know her pattern Liao, because baby at this age only cries for the few reasons. It's gd to talk it out to ppl like what you are doing now. Relax k ;)

ak, my boy is drooling too, haa..i read from babycenter that it is normal coz they do not know how to swallow the saliva yet so they drool..he also likes to eat his fist and blow bubbles..haa..my boy likes to 'talk' now, he wakes up in the morning and will make a lot of ahh and ooh..really a joy to hear him..

be strong priscilla! it is a phrase, will go past before you know it..we can establish their routine for them and it will be easier for you..only the evening time or fussy time, it will be more tiring..
happy.gif
really strange also, in the morning, he can fall asleep on his own, evening time, no matter how you carry, also make a lot of noise!

Back