(2012/03) Mar 2012

BunnyBluey>>I tried to latch bb on for the 1st month but he is not gaining weight & very small size.Thats y I change to pumping inorder to see hw much he is eating.Whenever I latch on,I realized that my bb suckle vigorous for only 2mins thn he will slow down & slowly fall aslp.Even though I burp him thn cont.He will do the same.He can latch on each breast for a long time with slow sucking.Does anyone have the same situation?How much express milk req for a 1 month old baby?Currently I am giving my bb 50ml every 2 hrs.Is this enough?

Wanda, my bb suckles 15-20 mins in initial wk, sometimes can be as long as 30-35mins. I don't change to the other breast unless she has suckled at least 20 mins on one side. Now, my bb suckles only 7-8 mins & seems satisfied, maybe the milk flow is faster now. I find if I just depend on pumping, I'll be very stressful if I don't pump out enough.

Shernice, I agree with latch on exclusive if you can for first month, to increase milk suply gradually. Do not think about your supply is low. Mummies I know who are positive and confidence and determination are the ones who can produce huge amount of milk.

For my first one, my confinement lady encouraged me to give fm as she kept saying baby still hungry after latch on. Think she's worried like if baby cries, we will perceive can't handle baby or she wanted to have easier time. I gave in, feeling despair with bleeding nipples. From then on, partial bm since I gave in to fm...

Try not to let others influence you. Latch as much as the baby want. You will be able to build up the supply. Its the frequency of latch on or express out that increases supply. Paramount to make sure the latch is correct. Aim the roof of the baby mouth to touch the nipple. Baby mouth should open wide. Else suffer sore nipples which affect mood to let baby latch. When I returned home from hospital, I 'lock' myself in the room, practically like round the clock cow. Baby will cry for milk an hour after feed, it is ok especially for first month. eg. feed starts at 12, by the time you finished feeding, its 1245. Baby could cry again at 1:15 or 1:30. Expect to feed 12 times per day for first month. I also supplement myself with oat in milo and fenugreek tea. I had fish soup with partial ripe papaya twice a day during my confinement. Drink plentiful of water.

Baby can be really fussy when they want milk. Make baby feel more comfortable. Give them massage in morning after bath and night so that they are more relax. Look at the stomach see if there is wind. Apply ruyi yu all over the tummy area together with massage. For me, I use telon oil very generously all over the baby like no body business. Hope this helps.

One more thing, the baby can get lazy from drinking from bottle. Because the flow is fast and easy. However, drinking from nipple is hardwork for the baby. They can sweat while latch one because they need to work hard at sucking. THey might refuse latch on... then you have to express out and the pump has to be those really good grade type in order to drain your milk because your supply is not like swish swish.

I also had your worry for my first one. Pump now, the next momment, baby want to drink. For now, try to work on feed on demand. Once the baby grow out of the intense milk demand for the first month, you will have easier time to pump because they sleep longer.

Hi Mummies,

sorry to interupt. I have one brand new huggies size S, 44 pack diaper and a $5 huggies voucher (use in NTUC outlet) to let go for $10.

collection at Tampines. Please PM me if you are interested.

BunnyBluey,u have establish your supply thats y.My bb have been doing this for the whole mth & nt gaining much weight. I was also very persist in nt giving formula.But I guess for Pple like me,we got no choice.Our supply is low.We still have to feed bb that's y gt to supplement with formula.Bt I have not given up,must find ways to increase so that cn stop formula & do TBF.Ya pumping very stress & each time i only get 20 ml
sad.gif
sign...I hope I will get more supply like you ;)

La_paix>>That's what I m also worry about,the lactation told me if bb latch for too long,they burnt calories.Maybe that's y my bb is not gaining weight.

Bunnybluey & la_paix>> thanks for the advice. Same as Wanda, I can only get about 20ml everytime I pump so I keep worrying about bb not getting enough milk when she latches.
I just let her latch on for close to an hour & she still cries after that. I gave in to formula again & she finally stopped crying.
Agree that giving bb the bottle creates another problem. She seems very impatient when she latches on cos' the milk doesn't come as fast. But I get so stressed everytime she cries for milk.
Now I'm only hoping that my milk supply will increase 

hi la paix,

May I know where did you get your lecithin capsules from? Could you recommend me the brand to buy? I developed high fever during last week of confinement due to engorgement and blocked ducts. Hoping to try lecithin to see if it will help as I have the tendency to have blocked ducts. For my last baby, I had 6 bouts of mastitis during 1 year of breastfeeding.

April, u're so much better than me. I can't even reach ur supply level. My left side can yield 40ml n right side 10ml but supply getting lesser after subsequent pump.
sad.gif

sunkissed, it's really very very tiring. Somehow, I'm very bad that I can't force myself to pump more... So far, thrice is the constant I pump. I don't ve CL... My MIL do it for me. My confinement food almost or rather the same everyday until I see already so depressed and feels like crying. My confinement over and my mother is doing the last 10 days for me by brewing tonic for me everyday to nurse back my health. But still, thereafter I must be careful with my diet due to c-sect.

anewmummy, I started on fenugreek now but still no increase in supply. I think partly due to no constant pumping.
sad.gif
feel like buying the sacred tea to drink but hubby stop me saying not sure if it's safe but saw alot of mummies drinking it.

bunnybluey, oh... So u all actually talking about total bm per day and not per session. I'm so silly talking about per session. I never total all session pumps but it varies daily.

Mummies who feel u hv low ss, do u feel engorged or got block ducts? If u hv block ducts, your milk may not come out, hv to massage, hot compress to clear the ducts. Also, like I said, whatever u pumped out does not mean that's the amt bb getting as bb can extract milk much better. If u find there's prob, maybe approach a lactation consultant for help as I believe mummies wld hv enough milk for your bb. Jiayou all mummies!

sunkissed & kepsis, I usually pump 30 mins. Lately, tried to manual squeeze the milk but so painful due to the strength I used. Both breasts very tender, no lump n don't feel engorge at all. I'm telling myself must be hardworking and try to pump more often.

BunnyBluey,I am same as Evelyn.Both breast tender,no lump & no engorge even if I skip my pump for 3-4hrs.I called the lactation lady I few times alrdy.I still latch on but only during night time cz I love that moment. ;) But each time he latch still the same,he suckle for 2mins thn slow down & start falling aslp.Not sure whether he is so comfortable at my breast that he fall aslp or milk flow too slow that he sian.

Evelyn,can go to any poly clinic?Just walkin?Or need to make appt?My boy also juz full mth,called PD & GP to check price,They are very exp.How much does poly clinic charge?

<font color="000080">Wanda >> Not true that latch long not full = low milk supply. I have same problem even though I have oversupply of bm! I have a whole other set of problems to deal with!
Maybe your bb just not keen on eating much? My girl is drinking about 80-90ml bm every 2 hours at 3weeks old, but at 4weeks actually the range is 600-800ml a day, so your bb is doing fine. Maybe your milk higher calorie so bb don't drink much full liao ;) Don't be discouraged!

Let me share this quote I read in a La Leche League book: "The important thing is to get the best nutrition into the baby and you can sort out the utensils later." So don't be too concerned about pumping versus latching. As long as bb is gaining weight and pooping, it's ok!</font>

Hi Evelyn, I went for jab this morning n my Bb is brave no fuss after the jab so far. I went to PD instead of polyclinic. Had check on the pricing n not much diff. Paid abt sgd497 as a package.

Wanda, it's abt the same.

My package as follows:-
1) 6 in 1 package Sgd465+gst
Includes 2 jabs of 6 in 1 n 1 jab of 5 in 1

Pneumococcal Jabs at Sgd 165+ gst x 2 jabs

2) 1 year old package ( with chicken pox jab) Sgd510+Gst
Includes 2 jabs of MMRV n 1 jab of 5 in 1.

Wanda, yes! Juz go to polyclinic near u. I called polyclinic to make appt but they don't allow as baby never visit before. Was quite annoyed when the lady told me can make appt even though never been there before. Hais... My girl never take the injection today as household got HFMD case so can only go for the infection next week.

The nurse explained the injections that my girl need to take. Was told Diphtheria, Tetanus &amp; Pertussis is FOC. There is 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 that I must decide. 5 in 1 includes the 3 FOC + Poliomyelitis &amp; Haemophilus Influenzae type b5 &amp; it costs $87.40 per injection. 6 in 1 is all mentioned above + Hepatitis B (3rd dose) &amp; cost $102 per injection.

April, so u took all the packages as mentioned. It can be paid using baby bonus. Pneumococcal jab also $165 at polyclinic &amp; it's for 3 mths, 5 mths &amp; 1 yr old. That time, I heard from
GP that certain jab polyclinic is cheaper &amp; certain jab GP is cheaper.

When is ur baby born? Mine on 9 Mar. She's weighing 4.9kg today &amp; nurse said above average. Haha

Evelyn, my Bb is born 01 Mar. Yes, all jabs can be paid by CDA card. Her weight is 4.46kg and Height 54cm which doc says she is growing well cos she is putting on 300g per week..

April, i find the pricing at polyclinic cheaper leh, also if done at polyclinic, pneumococcal can claim from parent's medisave &amp; MMR is free.

Evelyn, the pricing u mentioned is for singhealth grp of polyclinics, right?

The pricing for NHG polyclinics is $320 for 5in1 pkg, 4 doses, incl the 3 doses at mth 3, 4 &amp; 5, &amp; booster. $360 for 6in1 pkg, also 4 doses &amp; incl 3rd dose of hep b.

hep b per jab is $22.10.

Pneumococcal is $150 per jab, can claim parent's medisave but not all PDs &amp; GPs offer to do this but polyclinics can, so help to save on our cash.

Rotavirus is $90 per dose.

April, I didn't check on that as my hubby had not even opened the CDA acct, wahaha...

Now thinking if I shd go hougang or AMK polyclinic...

Bunneybluey, it's under singhealth. Let me call and check the prices and share. Hep B (2nd) jab costs $16.80. Consultation $5.60.

April, all jabs at polyclinic can used CDA.

Now online, we're able to see the queue on the day if it's crowded anot.

Hi Mummies,

Wondering if any mummy is interested in buying the 1st Month voucher from Bangawan Solo. 10% off for purchases above $200. I'm looking for mummy to share so we can enjoy the 10% off.

Please PM me if you are keen.

Thanks.

Think there is one downside of going to polyclinic is that we have to queue with the other sick people to get registered. Its not like we have priority for baby although vaccination is not the same as seeing doctor... I brought my baby for second dose of hep b vac. Those special number is meant for baby less than a month or elderly... meaning subsequent visit we have to wait for longer time, expose baby to diseases...

@Evelyn
Ai yo you haven't open CDA account. So u will have to pay cash...

@la_paix
I had the same idea that not to let bb exposé to other sick people that's why I chose to go PD for jabs.

la_paix, we can make appt with polyclinic at specific timing than bring baby for the jab.

April, not yet open the acct. So, will ve to pay $16.30 for Hep B jab. Subsequent jab, will use CDA acct &amp; medisave.

Hi Mummies,
I'm a June mum-to be, here to ask for fdback abt breast pumps. I'm considering Avent electric single pump and Mendela Swing. Anyone using either and can give some reviews? Thanks a lot!

@Sunnie_Gal: I'm using Swing.. I think it's not bad except for the fact that I'm pumping exclusively so I regret not buying a double electric instead =/

I like that it's silent and portable
happy.gif

Catherine, it will be stated in the health booklet, u may refer there. If u go polyclinic, the nurse will advise u too.

Back