(2012/02) Feb 2012

Ok! So,
#1 talk to baby
#2 drink apple juice,
#3 full bladder (nurse told me during oscar)

anymore tips anyone? :D

Pearl: thanks pearl, i juz went to amazon to order babyplus but somehow, cant, it says cant deliever to my sin add...when did u order urs?? Did they say when u will get it??

Anyone order from amazon b4??

planet> my gynae did not tell me about the full bladder thingy. I am going for my oscar test tml at tmc in the morning. shall do the following to see if it works.

Lynn> You need a vpost address. I'm joining a spree to get the babyplus. Check out the overseas spree chatroom.

Pearl> I think the nurses will tell u to drink some water when u are registering. There's a water cooler in the waiting area.

ELum> Welcome! And what a scary story about your oscar! You meant TMC right? Not TCM?

lynn> You need to sign up for a virtual address at vpost.com.sg so tt u can instruct seller to ship to your virtual address.
When Vpost receive your goods, you have to pay for shipping charges first and then will ship to you at your home address. hope this is clear =)

Lynn> I meant the chatroom in our SMH forum. =) Here's the link to someone organising an amazon spree. You have to PM the organiser cos we are not allowed to post on the page unless we have been here (SMH) for 2 or 3 years i think.
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/5470280.html?1313766296

Alternatively, you can get a vpost address at vpost.com.sg. It gives you a USA address which u can use to order items from sites like amazon. The item then gets forwarded to you in singapore. But be warned, the shipping from vpost to singapore can be quite expensive if u are getting only one item. I would suggest u join a spree. =)

Thanks alot planet!!! Hmm..im going to be 18wks next wk, so not much time left..i read that bbplus is used from 18 wks onwards...so , guess i haf to buy the more expensive option

Thanks for the info and good luck on ur scan!!! 

Feel like drinking spinelli cookie spin today... Just had a Hans sandwich
happy.gif

Hi all, I jus went for my OSCAR and I passed the test. Bb is normal. Heard the heartbeat for the 1st time today. Reminds me of the day I deliver my boy cos hav hear his heartbeat for abt 9hrs.

Saw KKH having offer for medela pump. PIS only $500+ (orginal price $700+), Swing, $200+ (original $300+) and can't remember the other type, $700+ (original $900+). I bought my PIS last yr at $700+. Y last yr no offer. U gals might wan to take a look.

jus to share my experience on Osccar, did mine in TMC and the results were 1:31 due to the NT being 3.2mm. i was so stressed and upset and my gynae immediately told us to go for amnio but after speaking to many others, decided to have another Oscar and gyae arrang anotehr Oscar 2 days later in NUH, results was 1: 9000. infact am in a dilema over the huge dif.

Hello Everyone! How's everyone's weekend?
Planet-can do ice blended decaf? I'm going to try.
happy.gif

Babyplus- actually I bought one by chance 2 weeks ago at cash converter.
happy.gif
Didn't know what it was at that time, but saw a lot of babies on the cover box and it was only $10 :p, so hubby said buy and read about it. Until now, still lying at the table. Not sure about the authencity, but its cheap and looks quite new, do you think I could try? Any side effects?

Planet, I asked spinelli abt using decaf for the cookie spin. They said cannot
sad.gif
shall check if there is an equivalent at coffee bean... Else will share w hubby. Haven had my coke quota last week! Hehe

Jen> ya can ask for decaf. but note that for ultimate and blackforest ice blended they also blend espresso beans into it. If you want you can ask them not to add the espresso beans. for me, i thot it's ok cos its 2-3 beans only.

the babyplus you bought is a really good deal!! but i would be abit worried about the quality of the set.. maybe see if local babyplus agent or dealer can check or service it for a small fee? as i mentioned earlier, this is to do with rhythms and things that we cannot hear or "check".. so better to be be doubly careful.

ELum> sorry to hear the fix you're in. if the oscar scan results are varying so much, how about trying Dr Anand's detailed scan? from what the mummies have described, he seems quite good.

Planet: thanks.. Got to wait. We recently hoot quite a bit of clothes le. So need to control the spending. .. Plus couldn't find alot of ON stuff that soul mummy likes. End up we went shopping in sillypore. Lol

Wow! You are really into this babyPlus device huh?

Jascmy: wow the KKH discount is alot! That's an even better discount than the taka fair! We not buying so soon. In case give up at the start.. Then buy already waste money. My sis gave up bf after a few days.. Lol 

Huh! I hope to breastfeed for 1 year. Why all of you give up so fast?? What are the difficulties you all facing?? Pls share with me so I can prepare myself.

KWXY, I will share my experience:
1) tired loh. Cos have to pump round the clock every 3 hrs. If u have a confinement lady then will not be that bad cos they will help u with nite feeds and care for Bb while u concentrate in pump and rest.
2) No freedom! Cos of the 3hrs pump, we can't go out for more than 3hrs. And hav to find places to pump. I pump in my shopping centre nursing rm, MIL, SIL, Sis and even relatives (CNY) hse before.
3) when u go back to work. Hav to find a place to pump if ur office is not family friendly. And have to carry heavy bags to office. I carry luggage bag to office everyday cos I have to carry my Bb and walk 10mins home from ifc after work. So I can't carry 4 bags (handbag, schoolbag, pump bag and Bb in carrier) on me. So luggage bag is the best.
4) some of my friends give up due to frequent engorgement and fever. Its really painful and terrible feeling cos u still have to take care of Bb when u r sick. Lucky I only encountered once.
5) stress abt the supply. If a lot, stress on where to store. If not enough, stress on how to increase.

I had a pleasant experience bfing my baby. I latched exclusively at home or when out with baby and only pumped in the office. At home, I mainly hand-express till I was comfortable if bb is not available to latch and I'm engorged.

I didn't have a confinement lady for #1 but perhaps cos I was latching, it wasn't that bad. I was certainly tired but I try to sleep when bb is sleeping so can get more rest.

Cos I used a medela freestyle, my pump was actually quite portable. I only carried the bottles to and fro office. Left pump in office as I didn't pump at home so basically only had my office bag + bottle bag with me.

once supply was established, had not much stress about supply. If got more that day, yay. can store for baby. If got less that day, its ok cos still have stores. overall, worked out well till weaned bb off after he turned 1 yo

LSnTYL, u r lucky leh. My supply keep dropping after I went back to work. Till last 3 mths, its only enough for my boy's 2 feeds and tis mth not even 1 feed. He will be 1 yr old this weekend. I did not meet my target of full BM bb for 1 yr. I'm very sad abt that loh. Its not due to pregnancy that my supply drop. Its aldy dropping terribly when I'm back to work.
For tis #2, I will try full latch on.
Cos both me and #1 do not knw how to latch on. Esp I'm a c-sect Mummy so have to use football position which is even worst for me as a 1st time mum. So I give up latching on. Now I'm experience, I will try to full latch my #2. Do u hav problem with changing from latch to bottle feed? Cos once I give my boy bottle on the 1st day at home, he immediately don wan try latch at all loh.

jascmy>I started taking fenugreek just before I went back to work. Think it helped to increase my milk supply and then maintain it after I went back to work. Cos for me, pump can't get as much milk as latching. Maybe you want to try that this time? Cheaper to ship in from US than to get from GNC. Can join one of the iherb sprees or just ship in yourself since you might want to combine shipping with vitamins/supplements for your #1.

Think take the chance to learn from the lactation consultants at the hospital after you give birth? I tried the football hold too but didn't quite like it. Prefer cradle or lying down position. The LCs can help with advice on how to latch, etc. For my #1, I consulted them on positions and advice on how to latch in the hospital. Then when go home, there would be times when bb still can't latch properly so I watch youtube videos and surfed breastfeeding websites to see where we're going wrong. Slowly, learn bb n I learn how to latch properly. Its a learning journey for both of us.
happy.gif

I am lucky in that my boy is quite easy going. We didn't have any probs between switching from latching to bottle feeding. Can change bottles/milk powder on him and he is also ok. But think best not to bottle feed when bb is too young cos its much easier to get milk from bottle than breast. That's could be why he didn't want to latch esp if his latch was not v good in the first place.

Don't be discouraged, ya? Can still try with your #2. I've a friend who only bf her #1 for a few weeks than couldn't continue cos no milk. Think cos she didn't latch much. But with her #2, she managed to bf for quite long. This time she took supplements like fenugreek n nursing tea and tried to latch more.
happy.gif

babymaking, its comforting to have a fellow mummy acknowleging hyperemesis. Im now trying to wean myself off the meds but very tough. I get anxiety attacks when its time to take the meds n i dont. Im afraid to cough n terrified of stepping out of the house without my meds. I see you are taking into account the severity of DS. I wont be considering that....from what i understand, amnio and detailed scans actually look out for different kinds of defects right? Its tough to decide if they are meant to look out for different stuff in the first place. Do update on your decision. I wouldnt know what to do if the amnio turns out fine but the detailed scan shows up other stuff.

kwxy, i expressed 1 month for my boy then he's on full FM. Alot of first time mummies very enthu but most give up cos realised its not easy. Alot of factors come into the picture. Milk supply might come in really slow at the start. Worry baby hungry from insufficient BM. Family members not supportive. Not enough help....impatient babies. I was able to bf direct in the hospital but after a demo by the nurse, my nipples bled so i switched to pump. I pump every 2.5 to 3 hours on top of bathing bb, putting him to sleep, washing his clothes. I had to eat shit n bathe. After feeding need to wash n sterilise bottle. After pumping need to wash n sterilise the pump for the next moo time. Tried to latch bb on everyday for 2 weeks then i gave up. Too tired cos not enough rest. I was a csec mummy. If u wish to bf successfully, u shouldnt be doing anything else other than eat shit bathe urself and feed baby. Ppl around you should be encouraging as well. My husband sneered at the amount of bm i expressed. My MIL worse. My dad kept offering FM as he was tired of having to cook for me n handle my bb while i pumped. My mum works. My husband took 2 weeks off to help me but returned to work 3 days after i've discharged cos he cant tahan bb cry. When i had my post natal massage, bb was beside me. Becos on the first day of the massage, bb pooed when my massage started n thou my husband n dad were around, they nv help change diaper for bb becos they duno how. Between giving BM and maintaining my sanity, i chose the latter. Esp since after confinement, i returned to my own place and am alone with bb. So you want to 100% bf just be prepared to push on and be very stubborn and determined. Between latching n expressing, latching more convenient but it really depends on bb and yourself. Some babies are more difficult. And you duno how much the bb is drinking, really just have to latch on demand. If u express u know how much and you can always express n store BM in freezer to allow ppl to help you with night feeds. But imagine having to wash n sterilise the pumps 8 times per day. I did that for a month n nearly ki siao. Maybe you can trying latching n expressing more aggressively during the first month to build up supply of BM in the freezer....so that when you return to work, bb still have BM but via bottle. Then you latch at night after work and express before you leave for work. I think thats what my cousin did when she had my nephew
happy.gif

butterwaffles>
sad.gif
so sad that your family members are not supportive of your bfing journey. Agree that family support is v important. My hubby was v supportive and although my parents/in laws worried that bb would not have enough milk just from bfing, they tried their best to be supportive to me too.

hope all mommies will have lots of support from their family. First part of breastfeeding is definitely tough but once supply established, it'll be much easier. But really need to work v hard at first to overcome sore/bleeding nipples, engorgement, bad latches, etc

butterwaffles>
sad.gif
so sad that your family members are not supportive of your bfing journey. Agree that family support is v important. My hubby was v supportive and although my parents/in laws worried that bb would not have enough milk just from bfing, they tried their best to be supportive to me too.

hope all mommies will have lots of support from their family. First part of breastfeeding is definitely tough but once supply established, it'll be much easier. But really need to work v hard at first to overcome sore/bleeding nipples, engorgement, bad latches, etc

butterwaffles, yes u r rite. I'm a very stubborn and determined mummy thats y I can endure bf till now. Even my supply drop so much and pregnant and I still don wan to give up.All my friends are saying I'm stubborn too.
My hubby and PIL is not supportive at all. Esp my hubby, he keep saying I'm relaxing when pumping and he did more work than me cos I jus sit and pump thats all (he is a very hands on Daddy). Pls loh, pumping is not relaxing at all. Then PIL keep saying my boy very skinny and keep asking me to give FM. I Ignored!!!
Lucky my mum is very supportive cos I myself is a full bf Bb. Cos of that, it motivated me. Cos I wan my Bb to be same as me and be a full bf bb.
LSnTYL, I tried frenegreek and no effect on me leh. I only learned football from the LC cos I'm a c-sect mum. Can't use other position. But I did managed to succeed in latch on with cradle when he is 2mths old. I full latch for 1 mth. But he turn from a slight overweight Bb (in the hands of confinement lady) to a slight underweight Bb (in my hands with full latch). So I only latch for nite feeds and early mornings. Cos I'm lazy to go kitchen to warm EBM. My boy also can't wait for the milk to warm. He will wake all my neighbours up.
So to me a confinement lady is impt to me so that I can rest and bf only. When she goes off. I will only pump when my Bb is sleeping. Tats y so tired cos no time to sleep at all.
Will try full latch again for my #2. Hope he/she won't go underweight leh, cos really don knw how much they drink.

To all, ur initially supply will sure be low and it painful when u do massages and engorgement. Mus endure. After its established, everything will be very easy and no more pains.

To all,

chilli: my edd is mid feb.. im having cramps too.. sometimes it feels like dull ache at the lower tummy area.. after sitting down and rest ill feel better.. noticed that if i walk alot ill feel the cramp..

thou i read some article it says its normal to feel abit of cramp in 2nd trimester..
i shall ask my gynea this week..

chilli>if the cramps are not too bad and there's no spotting, think should b ok. if really worried, as usual, I will always advice check with your gynae. he's the best person to advice cos he knows your condition.

jascmy>my boy is always underweight! Forever in the 25th-50th percentile for weight but he is tall n is always at 90-95 percentile for height. Think its his genes maybe. Although I would love a michelin baby, I tell myself what is important is that he's healthy. n indeed he seldom falls sick. when he does, he always recovers faster than us adults. gambatte with #2.
happy.gif

lsnty, yes very sad...but i cant blame others right? No one put a gun to my head n forced me to stop bm. I made the decision to stop n i take full responsibilities for it. My boy is now 18mths old and weigh near 13kg. FM is very fattening. I see alot of bm fed kids, alot quite small size but so what. Healthy can already n bm is free. My boy takes goats milk. U can imagine how much i spend on fm alone. Am all for bm if its possible....but for now i wont headache over it. If bb is heathly can keep then will think, now think so much no point....

jascmy, if gynae says its alright to be preg and giving bm at the same time is alright, you can continue ah. If gynae advises against it then u can consider giving up...got to have balance because its not just your #1 anymore, 1 more coming. If your husband is hands on, you are v lucky already. Whatever he says just 1 ear in 1 out. Where did you get your confinement lady? Were u happy with her?

butterwaffles, gynea say its very safe to continue bf. But since my supply drop till not even enough for 1 feed, 1 more bb coming soon so freedom going lesser and I'm have been coughing for months liao. So I have decided to stop this sat (his 1yr old bday). I wan to have some freedoms and more time with my #1 before #2 comes. No point continue wif such low supply.
My previous CL not so good leh. My friend recommended to me. I will try other CL recommend by other friend this time. U can try asking around for recommendations.

butterwaffles>actually, if you look at it another way, bfing not free oso. cos need to buy the pump, storage bags, nursing tops, etc. :p

Butterwaffles, I feel bad for you hearing how much ordeal you have to go through first with hyperemesis and BF difficulties. I was motivated to want to fully BF my baby, but it seems as not a perfect pic as we would imagine. I'm going to be alone too at home without CL, not sue if I can handle. I like your description-eat shit bathe urself and feed baby plus sterilization, really full-time moomoo.
happy.gif
Can I ask-why was the nipples bleeding after the demo? Is this normal or something the nurse did?

LsnTYL, ya loh. Jus a bit of savings as compare from buying FM. The pump itself is $700+ for PIS and $900+ for freestyle.
But for my #2 the savings is more cos no need to buy pump liao.

Those who need a new pump can go KKH. Savings of $200 for medela pump leh. Big discount. I highly recomemd medela. For those good supply can buy freestyle. For ppl like me, supply jus enough or low, PIS is the best cos suction is better.

jascmy>actually, if ok with US model, really cheaper to buy overseas for the pump. My freestyle cost me less than $500. N cos it's portable, it made it much easier to pump at work.

jen>the bleeding could be cos nipples not used to the suction or maybe bb latch wrongly. can squeeze a bit of bm out and apply on nipples after latch. let it dry and it'll help heal the nipples. or just use a nipple cream.

if you are fully bfing by latching, can forgo sterilization unless u are pumping and storing.
happy.gif

For more down to earth measures, if I really need to supplement with FM- which one would be most preferred for infants? I heard names like Enfalac A+ and Simlac HW etc but how do we determine for a start?

LSnTYL, thought bb got no teeth, how come latch wrongly will bleed? You mean they bite? ouch...!

Jascmy: I read somewhere from the forum that buying pump from KK can claim from CDA acct. isit? If yes, the I don't mind paying more for local warranty set.
happy.gif

Jen>think its personal choice and what bb prefers. AFAIK, most mommies will go with whatever FM the hospital provides. When you leave the hospital, can request for a few bottles as standby. The bottles are all already pre-mixed so can just open and feed if really necc.

bb got no teeth but if latch wrongly, means the suction is wrong and that can cause pain. can google. got lots of info on this on the web. http://www.thelaboroflove.com/forum/breastfeeding/commonproblems.html

btw, I never heard buy pump from KK can claim from CDA before

Jen, I also nvr heard of claiming from CDA account.
Some bb will bite till bleed when they have no teeths. Both my colleague and sis got bitten till bleed by their Bb immediately after they are born when they are having their 1st milk. Thats 1 of the reason y my colleague gave up bf.

KKH selling freestyle at $700+. Original is $900+. One problem abt overseas pump is no warrently. My sis's medela swing pump spoiled after a few mths. Lucky got warrently. So I decided to buy local.

Hi, am a silent reader. Am expecting number 3 in mid feb.

OSCAR scan: for first two pregnancies, never did any oscar scan, only the triple blood test. And in fact, the whole process was very rush rush so also dunno much. results were good so never think too much about it. This time round, cos I'm older, doctor asked me to go for OSCAR. When I asked the gynae who did my OSCAR, she actually told me the triple blood test only 60% accuracy. I was so surpirsed, imagine doing the test and even if results were ok, does it give you any real comfort??!! Anyway, OSCAR results were good so one less worry.

Breastfeeding : I TBF both #1 and #2 for one year 3 mths each. Absolutely correct that family support is crucial. My MIL is those kind that give FM to her children since day one as they belong to the generation that believe if you are rich, then you can afford FM. So keep asking me if baby has enough milk to drink if i TBF. It takes a lot to ignore all these and not have self doubt. But what was good was that my PD said baby was growing well and that gave me the conviction to carry on.

butterwaffles
".from what i understand, amnio and detailed scans actually look out for different kinds of defects right? Its tough to decide if they are meant to look out for different stuff in the first place. Do update on your decision. I wouldnt know what to do if the amnio turns out fine but the detailed scan shows up other stuff. "

- amnio tests for genetic disorders like Down syndrome (trisomy 21), Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18), and Turner syndrome (monosomy X), detailed scan at 20 weeks not only covers the above which usually have physical markers like fetal heart defects (80% of DS babies have heart defects) etc, but also other physical defects like cleft palate, kidney dysfunction etc, cysts, shortened arms/legs/fingers, dwarfism etc. if fetus develops any abnormality, usually the 20 week scan will show. the termination method is the same as long before 24 weeks, after 24 weeks, it's illegal to end the pregnancy.

re:breastfeeding
have shared my story previously before, if you suspect that you have medical issues bf-ing, ask gynae for a prolactin blood test - it will indicate if you have sufficient prolactin to stimulate BM production. i did everything from lactation help to malay massage to fenugreek to 3hr pumping to domperimine and it didn't work, only to realised 2 yrs after the fact while testing for other things that actually i had super low prolactin levels which explains why there was little milk production despite doing all the above. all it takes is a simple blood test to avoid going thru all the pain and guilt of not being able to bf.

babymaking, there is such a test. How much is the blood test? Can go for the test before deciding to spend on a pump leh. Good.

wow sounds like BF is tough!
Hope my parents-in-law, parents and hubby can help me during this period.
I will be doing confinement at in-laws', abit 'paiseh' cos after all its not my parents' home where i can do things at ease.

I totally agree with the mummies that said family support is very important when it comes to bf-ing. A lot of people, relatives will give you their own opinion on the matter but as long as baby is growing well, don't worry. The first few weeks are the hardest, once supply and latch is established, it gets a lot easier

re: breastfeeding
A very important thing you have to talk to your husband and make sure he understands and is supportive. He can help explain to mil if your mil is not supportive. Supportive relatives helps a lot too. Luckily my husband understands and was supportive, even though he didn't think there was a need to breastfeed so 18months.
And it was very fortunate I had ample supply and I had a chubby baby. So when older relatives questioned if baby was getting enough milk, I'll just show them my freezer full of milk and get them to carry my baby so they can feel her weight...

ging3r and LSnTYL > thanks for sharing your experience.
Today I felt some soft rumbling sound in stomach. Wonder if bb is turining inside my tummy. Hee.

went for my 16 week check up and had discussion with gynae and decided not to go for amnio as i have better confidence in NUH test as the lasy whom scan me is quite senior

Wow!! That's plenty of bf info!! Thanks all experienced mummies.

At least mentally prepared and with family support, I hope I can bf longer too.

My MIL is doing confinement for me at my place. Hope she can support me too...
happy.gif

Back