(2011/12) Dec 2011

Hi ejunko!

I rem when I just take care of my baby myself when my CL left, I really really wish to faster go back wk I even tell hubby I feel like shorten my ML.

But now this thur baby going pass to nanny I start to feel emo. This few days I keep tear when shower for him because everytime after shower my baby will smile happily to me. I keep thinking nx time I can only shower for him on weekend. Now I start thinking I feel like being a SHM but I koe financially we cnt afford tat so haiz got to accept it and go back wk.

Curry,

I am in Tmc how about u?

I rem tat day many babies born also and my gynae alone got 8 mummies give birth tat day.

Yi chin,

I will see how because think I might need to pump inside toilet no room for me but luckily de toilet still quite clean la. Anyway now I am also not on tbm I feed fm during night day time is latch or ebm. Fm like can tahan longer now my baby sometime last feed can be 10+ pm den he sleep until nx day 7+ den cry for milk again. I rem very 1st time he sleep so long I so worried still keep wake up c he is ok but my frens n relatives who r mummies advise me dun wake them up for milk at night so I just let it be lor.

Jas: Ouh, i feel you! I cant even bear to leave my boy for a couple of hours. But no choice ah, soon when you go back to work you will be able to adjust to it. And FTWM is even more tiring, so jiayou!

Ejunko,

Ya I official start wk is on 7/3 but will pass to nanny from 1/3 onward few days for myself to adjust.

Hope when I go back wk my baby more cooperative at night if not I can forsee myself keep taking mc or urgent leave

ejunko: trying it out cause a good friend did and her baby just sleeps so well when its nap time and is growing so well too. Also attended a course based on book Baby Wise by Ezzo, normal cry period for babies is during nap time too. Sigh, many opposing opinions out there, we just got to decide on one and try it out. Plus it is quite tiring to carry and pat to sleep.

we could organise outing some time when babies are a little older. I stay in bukit batok and the furthest I've gone alone with baby is to West Mall which is a feeder bus away.

Hi mummies, i am a first time mummy too. To take care of baby while i am at work, i hired a maid, and my mil will come over to help 'supervise' the maid. Im planning to return on 23 Mar.

Mummies who pump at work: Do you latch baby in the early morning before leaving home for work? How much on average do you yield at every pump then?

Noticed that baby is also feeding less, like 90ml only! and stretching his feeding interval. But heard that baby will feed more after 3 mths, is that right?

I also bought sohpie the giraffe, but baby doesnt seem to be interested in it now although he likes to lick his hands now!

Curry: i follow baby's feeding cues, not following any schedule. It's tough, but i somehow will wake up just before baby wakes up to feed in the middle of the night.

Yuet sim: do update how the cio method works daily for you. Glad it is working for you. I hv an older gal at home after school in afternoon so I cannot try out cio. Will disturb the jiejie afternoon nap.

Nov mummy: my kids 3.5yo and 9wks. Sahm since my first born. I m sahm, not housewife cos I get a part time cleaner to clean weekly. Haha[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

first two years were hard, kept thinking of going back work, to get some me time. Regretted at times of giving up my job but now get used to it.

Sahm and ftwm each see each other as better. But there are sob stories of sahm too, same goes for ftwm.

Hi yuet sim, I also applied for NPL but only for 6 mth. Will go back to work closer to end of the year.

I bring baby out every day. Otherwise dunno how to entertain him all day at home! :-/

Yuet Sim: Ouh, how come needs to carry and pat to sleep? The shh&pat on cot method dont work?

I guess im more worried about the potential trauma issue caused by CIO, but if it works for you then keep it up! Very soon our LO can self-sooth themselves to bed liao. Jiayou! =)

ejunko: somehow ended up carry and pat to sleep cause started doing it when shh & pat on cot method didn't work. So end up he expects to be carried & pat to sleep. Also end up with 'koala baby' at times esp afternoon nap, pat to sleep already put down then cry. Then start again. Now got to so called 'undo' his expectations.

Tangerine: where do you go? and what do you do with baby when out? If go shopping mall all the time I also bored...

Yuet sim and tangerine, yah, I also want to ask where do u bring baby to go walk walk daily? Do u go downstairs to chit chat with the aunties sitting there or go shopping centre? Since now so bored, I also go downstairs with baby to walk, then sometimes the aunties passing by or sitting there will talk to me. If not I go to Bukit panjang plaza to buy lunch or gong cha. Don't know where else to walk to already.

Lay leng, i used to have the portable yaolan, then my dad helped to fix the hook in the ceiling, so I transferred the motor, springs and sarong to the ceiling. My #1 slept in it past 1 year old, #2 slept till 8 months then weaned off.

Girltradester, I will latch and pump before leaving the house, try to drain as much milk as possible. First week at work, pump at lunch time, post 6 hours, maybe about 180 - 200 ml, usually by 2nd week will drop to 150ml - 130ml. Then supply will dwindle and dry up by 2 to 3 months. But I got colleagues whose supply can keep up till baby 1 year old.

Jas, ur baby can sleep 9 hours straight?! That is very good already! No need to worry about going back to work. I remembered when my elder girls first started infantcare and I returned to work, they woke up 3 times at night sometimes! Felt like a zombie at work.

Yuet sim,

My baby at night also like tat must cuddle one den I like de auto Yao LAN Yao until he sleep.I try Yao LAN before no use he dun like ley.

Yi chin,

He c mood normally I try control like bm or fm like last feed de most late 12 den he can sleep all de way until at least next day 7+.

Btw like check with u all does ur baby start to suck de mittens? My baby now keep suck his mittens I try giving him pacifier but he reject push out I push back and hold there he make a lot if noise he only wan to suck mittens ley. Now I trying control everytime he suck I will pull out de hand but I realize few times sometime in de middle of de night he wake up he suck his mittens until he fall asleepy hubby still say he sleep can le la wan suck give him suck.

Jas: Yes mine starts to suck his mittens too. I'll trade for pacifier but i think his mittens smell nicer maybe. Lol.

Yuet sim: Oh no wonder. Jiayou!

Just to share- For babies who woke up when placed on bed:

Baby feels weightless in our arms. If baby is in a lightsleep phase and we place him on bed, he may be woken up by his weight.

The trick is to catch him before the sleep phase - when he is drowsy but not asleep. Then place him gently on bed and shield him from visual stimulation (a dark room maybe). Then stay with baby for the next 20mins or so incase baby jolted himself awake.

Or for reflux babies, they may be woken up by heartburn. So mommy can consider getting a reflux wedge. For me, i use towels to incline (like staircase liddat)...perhaps a 15degree? Baby looks comfy on it.

Our babies are still learning to sleep, soon they'll be able to self-sooth and it'll be easier for us. Jiayou ah mommies!!!

Yuet sim and Yi chin: If just a quick one to drag his feeding time, I'll go downstairs and walk ard the blocks. He'll usually drift off to sleep quite soon. Then when he's really hungry I bring him up again. During the hot hours of the day, I'll bring him to some cafe like Starbucks or coffee bean, where I'll order my kopi and surf on iPad. He can sleep 2-3hrs there! Then when it gets cooler in the late afternoon or evening, I'll bring him to the park nearby in the jogging stroller and get my workout at the same time.

Jas, yup, mine also sucking mittens. Let her suck lor, cos very soon, she'll start putting everything in her mouth, so never mind lar. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ejunko, wow, catching that moment very 高难度 leh!

Tangerine, when u go cafe, is baby in pram or in baby carrier? Mine doesn't like the pram yet, will cry if I put her in. But she's ok with the baby carrier, usually will fall asleep inside. So when I eat or drink outside, must be very careful, or some food pieces will drop on her head.

Yi chin: I use the sling. If use pram, he won't sleep for long. If I eat, I'll use a cloth nappy to cover over so won't get food stains on the sling.

I stopped using mittens sometime after the 1st month, so baby sucks his fist. He can't release his thumb yet so normally he sucks the back of his hand. Pd said it's actually good to do without mittens so the baby can practise gripping things. Must trim nails frequently though.

Ejunko,

Ya lor everytime he suck I put to his nose ask him smell but maybe he is enjoying his own smell hor. Just now I try swaddle him he so angry and keep struggle he cnt get out his hand end up suck de swaddle cloth haha

Yi chin,

I just realize u say u bring baby go bpp I am also staying at bpp.

I also think my baby like carrier everytime will sleep inside if pram I normally will feed him he sleep le den bring him go eat.

Tangerine,

Guilty to say till now I still dun dare cut my baby nail so far my sil helping me cut for him. So I think still need let him wear mittens but I realise when he drink milk he like to grab our finger

Jas: LOL! Did you see how he suck his fist? Its very cute actually because bb thumb so tiny, cant locate it then suck fist lol.

Oh you staying Bpp too? Next time i go bpp find you and Yichin lim kopi~~~

hello mummies!

my LO finally poo on last Saturday! it was a poo bomb once again... n then on Sun morn & night, she pooed again! Today, tis afternoon & evening pooed again... i hope its not diarrhea.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

my bb already started eating her mittens in e 1st mth, hahaha.... after i intro pacifier, she eats her mitten less... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hello Jas, welcome!

i have been bringing baby out shopping almost every weekend or fren's place for gatherings and functions.... but it is not easy, cos gotta bring so many barang barang.... but now i am more used to it and gets quicker in packing up her stuffs and ebm.... i used to take 2-3 hrs jus getting ready to bring her out... hahahaha.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

today, she was so cranky in the car tat nothing works to pacify her..... i almost went crazy! but gotta remain calm.. my mom was at wits end trying to stop her pathetic cries! cry until tears rolling down... so heart pain!

Jas/Ejunko, i m staying at bt panjang too..... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] we are all so near... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] shld really organise an outing or a meet-up [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

bubbles_c: Oh Finally! If the poo color is gd, dont worry. =)

You guys really damn steady...im so lazy i dont even bring bb go down. I'll zzz whenever baby zzz~~ lolx.

Btw mummies, how long is your baby's Activity time? What activities you play with baby? Tummy time / singing / sightseeing / playgym etc?

Anyone bought playgym for baby? I wanted to get one but not sure which to buy, any recommendation?

Tangerine: wow, so many outings in one day. but good plan, I've also walked around blks before, but my baby can sleep in stroller when drowsy push awhile then he dozes off.

Mittens: Stopped putting mittens on baby as he will suck, then rub face, then his face gets 'pimple' like spots. So now he sucks his thumb or 2nd finger or both at the same time, v cute, sometimes he shape it like a pacifier and stuff in his mouth.

jas: I actually cut my baby's finger instead of nail the 2nd time I tried to cut his nails, sigh, panic cause it was bleeding. but he healed quite quickly. After a few times, get the hang of it. Must wait till he is in deep sleep before doing it otherwise he will pull his hand away.

Sleep training:

Update on Day 2: Nap 1 cry 20 min sleep 45 min. Nap 2 bring out in stroller so no crying sleep 1 hr. Nap 3 cry 45 min sleep 2 hrs. Nap 4 cry 20 min sleep from 7 pm to 12 midnight.

Day 3 today. Midnight no crying sleep till 6.30 a.m. Nap 1 no crying, still sleeping.

Yuet sim, progressing very well! What do u do when baby is crying for 45min? Suppose to put baby on bed and let her cry till she sleeps or need to go in every few minutes to pat her?

Bubbles, baby is downloading 1 week load of motion, normal to have heaps!

Ejunko, I only have the hanging overhead baby mobile. No play gym. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

He usually doesn't cry during midnight and early morning feeds even before sleep training. But he has been sleeping longer between feeds since last week.

When he cry 45 min, every 15 min take a peek. At most pat awhile then leave. Quite diff, cannot keep looking at him, I'll want to pick up and I'm not sure if he sees me he hopes to be picked up and cry longer.

I have stopped putting mittens for him after month plus. Now he always suck his fingers, sometimes even can put his fist into his mouth too until he vomits.

my bb needs to carry and pat to sleep also like "koala bear" type. if not, he will cried like tearing down the house... have bought yaolan too but he don't like to sleep. when i put him to yaolan, he will keeps crying until you carry him up.

I have stopped pumping since last week and the breastmilk has been dried out. but i dunno why i felt very "guilty" as didn't bf my bb...sigh...is it normal?

Yuet sim: way to go!

Mittens n booties/socks: I still wear for bb. If take out, her hands n legs feel cold. U guys bbs won't?

Wonderland: we r all bombarded with how bm is good for bb, how we must feed 6months at least..that's wat makes u feel guilty. But adverts dun take into consideration of how we need to take care of the bb ourselves. Not all bbs r model bbs, eat n sleep. Mine's koala bb too (hanging to me now), so I totally understand u. Be a happy mummy to ur bb, is better than giving bm n getting stressed up.

huh why so many koala bear babies? none of the method works for you guys ah?

Shoot! Is mine the only baby who prefers the cot and reject mama's fat arm? =(((

Wonderland, its ok...you have your reason so dont be guilty. =)

ejunko: u shd be thankful yrs is not koala baby. can put down to sleep then go do other things, yeah.

Koala baby mummies: hang in there. hope yr babies can be weaned off as they grow older.

activity time: other than those ejunko mentioned, can borrow books from library to read to baby. As for playgym, I received two from friends - Lamaze brand. One is for tummy time and the other is like a musical mobile with spaceship theme. Baby enjoys the spaceship one, cause it moves and there's music, he'll look at the moving objects and wiggle his hands and feet. Also plus point can put in washing machine to clean.

I guess im half-thankful, i also dont knw what else to do except for shower makan and zzz, chores are not my priority...i'll be thankful when i no need to do any! LOL

I think theres benefit for having koala bear babies - at least the bond and trust is there. Mine jitao "repel" when its time to zzz~

Those in-between babies are the best. Can hug can sleep. Oh well mommies, things will get better soon!

Wonderland, it's today's society that is putting pressure on us to bf. we all came from the era where formula is the preferred feeding method, but we all still love our mum right? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] and I think that's the reason why my MIL like to stare at me when I am breastfeeding, cos she never breastfeeding her sons!

I need to carry and pat my girl to sleep first, then can put in the yaolan. She cannot fall asleep on her own in the yaolan. If I put her on the bed, she'll wake up. If I put her in yaolan after she falls asleep, then she can continue sleeping.

So ejunko, u are very lucky! U got an easy baby! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Im a koala bear mummy too, though most of the time its my maid coaxing bb to sleep, be it in the yaolan in the day or cot at night. Am i spoiling bb too much in this way?

Sometimes i feel like my bb prefers the maid more. But once in a while, like today, bb would not be pacified until i latch him. This occassional pampering desired by bb makes me feel good about myself. Cos it is what the maid can't provide.

Looks like many mummies here stay in bpp. I used to live in cck, but now moved to sk =S

Yi Chin: Not easy ah~ very hard to burp him - he repel after feed. So everytime gotta coax him to burp...like war liddat, coz he wants his cot immediately. -____-"

girltradester: No lah, you're not spoiling bb, they are too young to be spoiled now. And i envy you! My boy no longer wanna latch coz bottle suck easier. Sigh.

Ejunko: be careful wat u wish for. Haha. Koala bbs no joke one lei. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Update sleep training:

Day 3 28/2. Midnight no crying sleep till 6.30 a.m. Nap 1 no crying, nap 1.5 hr. Nap 2 no crying, nap 30 min. Nap 3 Cry 10 min, sleep 10 min, cry 40 min (sigh). Nap 4, slept on feeding 45 min. Nap 5, cry 10 min, sleep 1.5 hrs. Last feed 7 pm, sleep till 2 a.m.

Looks like his afternoon nap is when he cry longest.

Day 4 29/2. Wake up 7 a.m. Feed. 8.30 a.m. start crying.

Lol im not wishing for it, i just hope my baby allows us to carry thats all. Pros and cons with our baby types i guess.

Anyway, just curious, for all koala babies, any is 1) Gassy 2) Reflux 3) Colic 4) Over-sensitive kind?

Yuet sim ah....could he be asking for more milk? Like a growth spurt or some baby like to store alil more milk for longer nap. Some babies noon time take in more milk one leh.

ejunko: my koala baby is 1)Gassy!! Very hard to coax him to sleep at night, as he would cry and cry. Think the reason is his gassy tummy. Not sure if this is colic condition or not though.. We just hope that the condition will get better as he approaches 3rd mth.

Mummies, where are you bringing bb for vaccinations? My bb had his 2nd hep B jab at polyclinic. Now thinking of bringing him to the gp downstairs my house for other jabs due to convenience. Pd is way too expensive and far.

Yuet sim: your baby actually sleeps quite long at night!

My baby seems to be getting better overall as he approaches 3 mth. In terms of sleeping (sleep longer stretch at night, up to 6hr), eating (no of feeds per day getting lesser), gas (seems better these days). Also getting more chirpy and smiley. He can "talk" a lot and it's really fun "conversing" with him (in his language that is!). Maybe it's true when they say things will get better after 3 months! Are your babies the same?

Tangerine, my bb likes to interact with ppl now too. Less 'scream-crying' already. But still cannot sleep through the nite. How is ur bb feeding like? Those old folks and neighbours says my bb feeds 3.5-4.5hourly very long interval... Makes me wonder if I ill-treat my bb or not...

Wonderland, I quote from someone's blog: guilt is a function of not meeting expectations.

So I thk we shall not set our expectations too high lar. It alr very tough being a mummy... So let's not be too hard on ourselves. I am reminding myself too cos sometimes I also feel so stressed out taking care of bb.

SQin: my feedings have dropped from 11-12 feeds to 8-9 feeds per day. Frequency during daytime is abt 2-4hr. More in the mornings, longer stretches in the afternoons. The most change is at night. Last time used to be that he'll latch on almost non-stop from 8 plus till abt 11+pm then he'll sleep. These few days reduce to abt an hour of latching, and he'll sleep earlier at abt 10ish. Sometimes before 10. Then wake at abt 4am. So I can get almost 6hrs of sleep, compared to 2-3hrs last time!

SQin: babies will tell u when they're hungry! So don't have to worry about the long stretches. Wish mine can go longer between feeds too. Nowadays babies are so well-nourished. I'm more worried about having a sumo baby than a skinny bean pole!

Ejunko, I think mine is want to play, don't want to sleep, then become over stimulated and has difficulty falling asleep.

I realized that after patting baby to sleep on my chest and if I put her on the bed, on her tummy, she doesn't wake up as compared to putting on her back. Sometimes can sleep 2 hours straight on the bed! I think when she slept on my chest, her contact point is at the front, so when I put her on her back, on the bed, she can sense the change in position and then wake up. If put on tummy, same position and sensation, so doesn't wake up? Doesn't work everytime though But I'm happy, as long as I don't need to be a koala mummy the whole day! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My baby can suck her mittens until it became soaked. So I removed the mittens. But instead of sucking her hands, she ends up sucking my clothes. Now my shirt becomes wet! Does cloth tastes better than her own hands?

ejunko: trial and error lor. sometimes still can't tell why he is crying. today, he wake early from nap, I just try to feed first. He drink means hungry, not interested means he wants to go back to sleep. maybe he is having a growth spurt. Like my friend said, first child is an experiment after that then experience.

Tangerine: yeah, baby reaching 3 months, more fun to play with. They respond more, can see and hear better. Smile more too =)

SQin: my feedings have dropped drastically this week 6 to 7 feedings a day only sometimes 8. Frequency in day time usually 3 hrs plus minus half hour. Nights timing still not fixed but he can go max 6 to 7 hrs between feed now.

Back