(2011/11) Nov 2011

Shirley, she wakes n cries then drinks a bit then cry... Will try burping her... Swaddle... Then try feed again. She will drink a bit. Then the process repeats again!! N after a while she fall asleep n still got to burp her! I'm sleep deprived!!

Usually doesn't take that long to feed. What kind of teat are u using?? Some mummies comment that nuk teat take around 30mins or so to finish. Cos it works liked mummy breast...but avent or pigeon should be around 10-15mins to finish. I used both on my gal.

Serene, I add u as my friend le.

Fion n twink, our bb same bday. Mine popped close to 10pm.

Jean - I use avent milk shells to catch d milk while massage. I gave pacifier liao.

Shugar - I can understand cos mine some oso took 1hr to finish. If dun feed enuf less than 1hr wake up. It's crazy.. Maybe I'll try change teats as per Shirley suggests.

Serene - does ur breast leak when sleepin? Do u put breast pads or?

Ruyi oil- my cl put aft shower

Iselle,

I gave in to my CL, who keep asking me to give pacifier...cos just now my gal split alot of milk due to overeating...so I think if pacifier can soothe her down, then let it be, rather than keep asking for milk when time is not up.

Hmmm...can't wait for my confinement to be over!!!! Feel liked bring my gal out for shopping or meet up with u ladies again...hahahaha

Dear Nov mummies,

I have been a slient reader since preg and has enjoyed reading the thread. Especially now after most mummies have deliverved, the sharings are all so similar and relevent. Which personally I have gained alot and wish to participate too. I only managed to complete reading the threads today since delivered on 17 Nov.

Birth Story:

17 Nov - Normal Gynae checkup at week 39 in the morning. baby has already engaged since week 37, I told my gynae i have no signs of contraction, water leak or bleeding at all. She was jokingly says ok, then wait till baby wants to come out. ( this was b4 we do the routine scanning).

Proceed to do the scan, gynae said palcenta was aging and water level has lowered alot. BB has not been gaining weight for past 1 week. Look into me and said " I have to deliver today, and she suggested for induce. "

My hubby and I was so shocked as have never expected induce option ( all along wished for natural birth). Gynae wanted me to admit at 11pm, tried 1st attempt of induce, if cannot, the next day 8am, put another dosage...if still cannot have to c-sect.

All came a sudden, after did the ECG, baby ok. Gynae asked me to confirm my option whether want induce or c-sect. hubby and I went for lunch. I remembered my friend told me induce is quite stressful as its a sign bb dun wan to come out yet. By inducing, will stress the baby, and most cases will end up c-sect. Hubby came to a decision to reduce the risk, we opt for c-sec and called gynae to arrange.

As since week 36 onwards, my blood platelets counts have been below accetable range, Gynae said i have to go thru Full GA instead of half GA. Reason because in case if I need emergency blood transfusion.

Everything arranged, went home by 2pm and packed all the things and around 4.30pm reached TMC for admission procedures.

Late evening, baby girl delivered @ 2.4kg. PD said consider premature size, but everything ok.

When I woke up, I have side effects of vomit and shivering. TMC nurse managed to push bb gal for me to take a look [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] so sweeet. It's a wonderful wedding annivesary (16 nov) present for me and hubby for rest of the yrs.

Breastfeeding:

I would suggest mummies bring their pump along as it was indeed handy. I have to get hubby to go home and get it. TMC LC & nurses really very encouraging on BF. I managed to pump out the colostrum for my bb during the 3 days stay.

After I reached home, the 2nd and 3rd day was pretty slow but managed to get abt 20ml. I didn't drink the tea you all have mentioned in the thread. bsasically, my CL and MIL prepared soups every meal and ask me drinks lot of fluids + 2 cup of warm milk everyday. Now i managed to pump about 120ml. But my little princess is consuming 90-100ml per feed now, so I am also like Serene, pump every 3 hrs including at night. Similarly, somehow will just wake up automatically at night once the breast fill full.

i have a question to mummies, when you all pump BM and see that the supply increased, do you mean pumping at the same duration? how long do you pump each time?

i have been trying different method, continuously or rest at 5-7mins interval, dual sides or single side one at a time, the amt is still same....

Also, anyone using medela freestyle? can share which level u using?

Also, do you encounter one of the side has lesser flow?

Jean, if you can, I hope you can add me to FB. many thanks!

Shugar,

Nuk latex will be slower in feeding cos is similar liked our nipple. U try overturn the milk see if it flow or not without touching the teat...if it need to be pressed then milk will flow, means ur bb feel tired of sucking it as it need alot of strength to drink... It will be good ifu intend to latch them back sometimes... But if u intend to bottle feed, then maybe change the teat.

Sammi,

I'm using that pump. But my pump out is still 30-60ml... I have been supplement with fenugreek, longan tea, mother's milk tea.... Is still there currently, still trying hard to break the record.... I using L5 for stimulation 2mins, L6 to express. Total 20mins as instructed by my LC. If latch on, then pump for 10mins. But since I want to know how much my gal drink, I decided to pump exclusively. She is impatient to latch on now. If I can catch up to her appetite, I will still latch on, I miss that bonding moments with her.

Hi,

Letting go QUINNY BUZZ SULPHUR GREEN @490

COMES WITH:

RAIN COVER

TRAVEL BUZZ BAG

BUZZ BAG

Condition: 9/10.

Please pm for picture if you are keen.

thanks

Iselle - yes my milk will leak not only when sleeping. It will leak when i latch my gal. Yes i put disposable nursing pads

Sammi - i am using medela PISA and each session will last 30mins regardless if there is milk or not so as to stimulatethe breast and to fully empty it. My bb is 10 days old and my cl just increase the milk to 3.5oz. This morning i manage to pump 170ml. Average i could get abt 120 to 150ml every 3 hrs. I am using speed 4 for my pump. I manage to get the same amt of milk for both sides.

Jean - my bb has the patient to latch on but i feel that latching is more tiring for the bb and in fact i am still deciding if i should concentrate on exclusive pumping or latching her once a day.

Serene,

so good, now my breast very obvious one big one small, express milk out also almost half or 3/4 of the other one. not equal at all.

it would be best of both worlds if baby can accept both latch on and bottle feeding. Can go out without the need to bring any pumps. and can let anyone feed her also.

Jean - I was initially using L6 as well, but now I only use L4 as frequent pumping the nipple can't stand such high sauction anymore. I also loved the bonding moment with BB when latch on. But, as my nipple short, she gets impatient and cant latch properly. My hubby has asked me to give up latching and just concentrate on pumping. I tot with the pumping, the milk let down quite easily now latching on shld be easier for BB, but yesterday I tried, she still can't... so i guess I can;'t have that latching bonding with BB anymore..

Serene, so nice, if i have tat much supply I no need to keep racing with my bb's feed. Do you rest for the 30 mins or it's a continously pump? My right side can't let down much unless I massage and pump at the same time. tat's why each pumping session can last 45 to even an hour...

I think you shld continue latch once a day since Bb has no prob with it.

Serene,

Maybe my milk is not alot and is not flowing liked bottle...so she is impatient to latch on. That y I exclusively pump out to bottle feed her by CL. While I can have enuff rest thru out day and night. Only wake up to pump and eat...I realize when I have enuff rest, my milk can reach around 40ml in the day time (initially is 30ml max), night time is able to reach 60ml....I hope to hit 80ml currently...

Sammi, for your info, pisa is stronger than freestyle. My LC suggested me to continuously if there is milk flow...if no milk, stop the machine stimulate again then express again. I normally stimulate 4mins then continuous pump out for 20min max.

Sammi,

Nipple short, got to massage and shake ur breast vigrously before latch on...then place 4 finger on the base of ur breast, the thumb on the top of the aerola. The thumb pull the aerola high to reach the bb nose level, then squeeze the aerola into bb mouth when they open wide...

My LC taught me those. I will latch her on if she cry for extra milk before she sleep...but very soon, she unlatch when no milk flow in. I'm still trying hard for it.

Dun give up so easy...dun feel demoralize when u can't have latching bonding... U also will have the bonding when u feed her.... We are great mummies when we deliver a healthy baby to this world, and no other ppl can deliver the same baby.

Twink,

Of cos will be best if our bb can bottle and latch on...then will be lesser barang barang to bring... But sometimes can't have the best in both world.

Mine is also a bit unbalanced. My left is more than right.

Jean,

You mean we shld not stop pumping if the milk is still flowing? i stop ard 30mins each session. too tired to continue..zzz.. haha.. that day the TMC LC ask me to pump for 15mins then stop liao even though i still got milk flowing. she say actually no need pump very long. just pump frequently is also good esp for busy and working mothers.

TMC LC is much much better.. my breast was engorged and got blisters from over pumping. I went to make appt at parentcraft@TMC they help teach me to pump and massage breasts correct way.

MT E LC not as helpful and knowledgable on BF. esp the nurses there..sigh.. they can have good hospitality service but i tink not much passion. Never teach me the correct method to latch baby.

Also keep asking me when i last feed baby and how long i feed. Arent they suppose to help me keep track also???? i super shag out frm delivery liao still expect me to remember.

Never advise me anything abt bb condition also. PD also. duh.. then i always ask them question abt my bb poo color they duno got to ask nusery and get back but never did also. end up my bb dehydrated cuz my milk not in and bb always not getting enough fluid then got high fever. maybe shld have advise me for supplement feed when they notice bb abit dehydrated or wat so she wont get dehydration and fever the night we discharge.

Can i check if nurses in TMC take note of the number of times bb wet and poo? or shld it be mother to keep track?

Anyone got good LC contact that make house visit? thinking of getting one to help see if baby can be taught to latch on..will be my last resort if i try for another 1-2weeks still no result.

hi wondering for mummies whose bb pop ard 16nov.. has bb umbilical cord fall off completly? my bb's UC fall off on sun but there is st a small fraction left there.

today day 14. try calling PD but he din return call and today he is on 1/2day.

try cleaning and notice st some blood stains.. any mummy exp?

Twink

But sometime bb overslept and it is time for us to express the milk thus it is hard to keep up with their timing esp when the breasts are unbearable. But i realised that after latching for 20 mins on 1 side, the fullness of the breast is still there. Yes we shouldn't stop after 30 mins if there is still milk flow. I read that we have to pump for a few mins after making sure that there is no more milk flowing. Yes TMC has a chart that show the PU(pass urine) and PM (pass motion). The chart is hang at the bb cot. We don't have to keep track.

Sammi,

It is continuous pumping for 30 mins. I read from Kelly Mum website that we must pump for 30 mins and if we latch, we have to pump for another 15 mins. Empty breast = more milk. yes true that i do not have to race with bb feeding as i have enough for her but i want to aim for more supply so maybe for this month, while the cl is still around i will work hard and pump every 3 hrs. Cos at least i can still nap with cl around. Yes i will try to latch her once a day.

Jean,

For PISA i normally stimulate for 2 mins follow by pumping for another 28 mins. Initally for the first 2 days after discharge, i stimulate for at least 30 mins to clear the ducts.

Fion - My bb was born on 20/11/2011. Her UC drop last Sat. But there isn't anything left on her belly button. My pady actually gave me powder to sprinkle on the belly button on day 5.

Mummies - I realise that I can get more milk supply if I do not concentrate on my pumping. Normally i will surf the net or just put my head on the table to rest and i can see better result. Maybe u all can try this our. Just as i was chatting with u ladies, I got another 150ml.

Mummies - Has your bb jaundice subsided? I realise that today is day 10 and my bb still has slight jaundice. Not sure is it because she is on total bm and i drank red date boil with ginger.

Serene,

If ur bb is on total bm, then better to avoid or less ginger. Chinese wine is a no.... coz my bb coming to 1 month still hv jaundice. In fact nurse suggests no red dates also. Sigh!

Anyway, confinement is over soon & I'm going to kick all these for quite sometime. Getting sick of these. In fact, I crave for ice-cream.....

Any suggestion for nice sweet treats/ice-cream buffet? Hmm... coz Feb will do diabetic check.... so, CNY period I may need to eat much less sweet stuffs. Meanwhile now can eat.

Serene

My baby is day 12 now. She drink around 80ml every three hrs for fm, if 75ml EBM is only allow her for 2hrs max. My CL say bigger baby will need more milk. If they able to sleep thru 3hrs, then shouldn't add more milk for them.

Tmc LC told me to pump 20mins max out if I dun latch on. So follow her instruction, as she mention 30mins will be over pump when I did that initially. If we latch on, pump another 10-15mins the most. I usually use L6 for freestyle. I also try surfing or watch serials while pumping.

Twink,

Tmc does have a chart to keep track of bb urine or bowel movement. It is hang at their cot. Even temperature is being recorded daily.

Fion

I was also given powder to sprinkle on the bb UC for fast drying and it prevent pus as well. My gal UC drop on day 8, does have some blood residue left, my CL just continue to use alcohol wipes and cotton bud to clean up and continue to put powder on it. She say the drier it is, the UC end will shrink more into their tummy nicely.

Oh then i better avoid drinking the red dates tea from my confinement tingkat coz they added ginger in there. Me personally doesn't like ginger so i don't touch those ginger added in food.

I still have 2 weeks plus before my confinement finishes after that my hb and i gg to do major spring cleaning. Can't tahan our hse so messy n dirty.

Jean - my bb sleeps beyond 3 hrs most of the time. Sometime she cries a short while then she slept and got no choice to wake her up for milk as the ebm already warmed. I have told my cl to stick to 90ml for ebm for the time being and will try to latch her once before she sleeps at night.

Hi Fion, my BB born on 17th Nov. Umbilical cord has fall completely 3rd day after discharged. However, on Mon notice blood stains again so CL put the wipe again to clean off.

Serene, Jean thks for sharing your pumping habits. My right side seems like has a need of different sauction level, so if pump both simulateously right side suffers. Anyway, I monitor again if milk supply can increase. BTW, my CL also say rest more then will have more supply. I was thinking, need to wait up every 3 hrs how to have enough rest orh.. It seems like whole house I am the only one that has the least sleep when on contary I shld be the one resting more....

Serene, my BB 14 days old and was drinking 90ml when 10 days old till now. What is her weight and the interval ur bb wakes for milk milk?

My BB was 2.6kg when went back for 1st PD follow up last week. PD told me BB can drink up to 80ml and subsequently up by 5-10ml per week.

Sammi,

If ur right side need different suction, then u pump separately. U can use breast shell to catch the leaking milk.

U really got to sleep after pumping, do nothing else, just rest in bed. Ur milk will increase more, and less water retention.

Serene,

U dun have CL?? If u dun like ginger in ur food, then put the ginger into ur bath herbal water to boil together. Will help u expel the wind.

Sammi - Actually hard to rest if we are pumping every 3 hrs. What i did was try to rest in the day after the pump. And although I have less sleep, I am happier cos whenever i see the increase in the supply, i feel that it is worth. My bb weight was 3.625kg when born. Normally is 3 hrs unless she overslept.

Jean - I have confinement lady but she doesn't need to cook as i ordered my meals from confinement tingkat. My hb and I prefer the house to be clean as we don't cook. Currently I do not use herbal to bath. My cl will boil ginger and lemon grass for my shower. I do not engage any massage lady too.

By the way how long must we latch the bb per side? I latch for 20 mins each side and my friend said too long. She said 10 mins per side will do.

Serene,

U mentioned simulate for 2mins n continuos pump for 28mins. Does yr milk flow continuously for d 28mins? If it stops wat do u do to encourage d flow again?

For me if d milk flow stop i will set to simulate again... Is this d correct way? Coz after simulation d milk will flow again. If i dun simulate n cont to oump most x no milk will flow.

Serene,

I latch 15mins each side. If bb can suckle well 15mins is suff.

N my bb usu juz tk 1 side... Its so diff to wake him up to latch on d other side.

Fion - my bb same bday as u n UC had fallen off. my CL continue use alcohol wipes n put powder. same as wat jean's CL says, the drier the better.

serene - mine latch max 10per side cos she'll fall asleep. my bb day 14 drink 70-90ml. she's a small bb at 2.7kg when born so ur bb may b drinkin normally since i oso feel bigger bb and oso if it's boy will drink more.

thanks for answering my Q. do u wear nursing bra or underwire bra to sleep? i used not to wear but then cant put breast pads n it'll leak to shirt and even bed. n if wear underwire afraid it'll block milk ducts. so i wonder if i shd buy more nursing bra as currently i only hv 2.

welcome sammi [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] - u, me n jean all use medela freestyle pump. i use level 4, 2min simulation n 18min letdown. i read the instructions booklet says if can see milk comin out b4 2min can press the letdown n may be more efficient in pumping.

so on 16th we hv fion, twink n me, 17th hv sammi and 18th hv huijie n jean, 20th hv serene and i rem somemore but forgot who liao.. hee.. one aft another, so interesting keke..

Do u all massage d breast when pumping. Hw do u do it if using dual pump coz both hands are full.

Im using freestyle but each x i only using 1 pump coz 1 hand holdg pump n d othrr hand massaging d breast.

Or juz nid to massage d breast bef pump wil do?

Snowpear - No my milk doesn't flow continously for 28 mins. It is on/off. I did not do anything because the milk flow will still come again later. No i did not set to stimulation. I just let it pump. I let the motor do the initial stimulation then follow by pump after that i did not set to stimulation again. Oh ok tonight i will let her latch for 15 mins.

Iselle - My gal will not fall asleep and in fact throughout the 20 mins she keeps sucking. Mine is a girl. I only have 2 nursing bra too but most of the time i wear the normal cotton bra (without wire).

Serene,

If milk supply enough, normally 10 mins will do.. and also see whether your bb suction is strong and awake to drink the milk... sometimes we carry them too comfortable, when latching they are easily fall into slp and never suck..Hee.,. My bb sometimes like that, thus when latch may shorten time need feed again.

My bb can still suckle very well when he is asleep. Most x when i latch him he is closing bis eye n nt awake... My challenge is that once i unlatch him to bring him to d other breast he refused to open his mouth to suckle...

Serene,

thk i gonna trial n error on d diff method to c which one wrks for my breasts. Thks.

Shugar - i latch my gal once a day and other than i bottle feed her with bm.

Snowpear - i shall try that later on. But don't u still feel full after latching?

shugar - i doing both latchin n bottle feedin. Only latch when we both awake, usu 1-2x a day. else CL will bottle feed her. n aft latching will still pump for 10min in order to 'empty' the breast.

snowpear - ya i 1 hand hold pump 1 hand massage then i do it for the other breast. i use double pump at the same x to minimise pumping time. oredi not enuf time to zzz...

sammi - i tink no1 here gets enuf sleep. i tried to stick to 3hr schedule for a few days n i cannot take it liao. had a breakdown n aft missing a night pump session i got a straight 6hr of zzz n nex day i felt beta. my milk supply oso increase but not sure if it's cos of the rest or it's supposed to increase gradually. aft tat i find it easier for the 3hr schedule. so u try to get more rest...

Jean, I had sent a request to join d group in fb [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jean i am fiona low [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back