(2011/06) June 2011

winniepooh, public cord blood bank is for donation only right? I remember hearing that from a colleague that you are not able to withdraw your bb's cord blood if you need to use it (if its public) but you will be put in the priority list...

Anyway, mummies who are interested in signing up Cordlife or Stemcord can get other mummies as referrer, cos they will give away addition shopping vouchers. My colleague referred me (Cordlife) & we got $50+$100 vouchers which we shared... :p

insurance - it is cheaper get your bb's insurance early. Gotta 2 policies for #1, and b'cos we got them before she is 1yo, we only need to pay 10 & 20 years & she will be covered for life...

I read from singapore cordbank leaflet at my gynae's clinic is that our cord's blood will be stored and will be open to public. But if our cord's blood is still avaliable during the time we need it..they will still issue it to us.

Correct me if i am wrong?

After reading on the website on some other forum... seems like Cordlife is a better choice.

Hmmm if go for the Cordlife event I think got special price ba..

Anyone thinking to go? Do we need to inform our gyne that we sign up for Cordlife?

yes victoria, the public cordblood is sort of 1st come 1st serve. mean if u need the cordblood they will search the pool, if yrs earlier donation wasnt redeem they will pass it to u. but as a donor, u dont hv the right to say "i dun wan to give to anyone, i wann keep for myself". their criteria is more stingent compare to private, and they may discard the cordblood after finding there are prob in there wo yr consent. but rest assure, if they take it, the cordblood is in good std [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i personally feel that if you decided not to take up any private cordblood service, must well donate to public, maybe it can save another person the other part of the world.

if you gals need contact person for the public cordblood, i can recommend the person i used for my #1. no fee no commisssion.

Hi for CL, better to book fast cos my CL is booked till July liao, even the July mummy paid deposit earlier than me... Hee hee

christy, cordlife event got special price, but no need to go down to enjoy it. I got the person to come to my place as I've compared the 2 companies (via their websites & thru some calls). She extended the event price ($400 off) plus give us the capitaland vouchers for referral.

I agree with chil that if you are not gg to keep your cord blood, then donate it to the public cordbank. It will save someone.

Something that mummies gotta note, cord blood from 1 baby may not be enough to save your child if he needs it when he is older & depending on his condition. Very often, you need another donor or from his siblings.

Hi qiuen(qiuen),

Noticed you dont have anyone delivering on the 8th of June.. include me in your list.. hahaha... Delivering at Mt Alvernia (Dr Ang). Just learned today that we're having a baby girl and this is my first baby.. heehee..

Hello everyone,

Just joined this group today. Hmmm.. wondering if you have any recommendation for health screening, need to do mine according to my gyne... thanks thanks!

And happy new year to all!

Luvluv,

Feline

Wow, me really had a busy day today. Skipped my lunch and only managed to have a glass of milk and 2 baos.

Createjoy> Thanks for the info on Mount A hospital tour. But do you all really go for such tour?

and so many mummies talking abt CL already.. haha, for me, i haven really tot abt it. Think will be my MIL. Hopefully I will be able to cope with my BB in the nite as my MIL is not staying with me. I think she will help out in the afternoon and help me with the cooking.

E'leen> May I know roughly how much you pay for the insurance for your #1?

Hi mummies back from my gynae appt. We manage to spot the bb gender. Gynae say 99% boy [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I am with stemcord if anyone need refferal let me know [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

After discussion wif hubby, I decided to donate the blood cord to Singapore Cord Blood Bank [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] help others who need it more than us. The chance of needing your own blood cord is pretty low and you have the chance of saving someone else's life by donating it.

Quote : The chances of a child needing his or her own cord blood stem cells in the future are estimated to range from one in 1,000 to one in 200,000, said the American Academy of Paediatrics in a statement last year.

From : http://www.asiaone.com/Health/Women%2527s%2BMatters/Cancer%2BCentre/Story/A1Story20080307-53166.html

But of course it's individual opinion la. Private blood banking or public blood banking, each got pro and cons [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Actually I went for hospital tour on November lol cuz my parents happen to be around (they are based overseas). But a bit funny la cuz e rest of the MTB looks heavily pregnant and I am not lol

For prenatal course, I'm planning to go for TMC ones instead (cuz Mt A one the timing is not suitable for us due to the first and last session conducted on weekday 6.30pm and my office is nowhere near Mt A). I called TMC Parentcraft today and was advised to go for March intake.

I'm not using CL cuz my mum is going to stay with us for a month plus we are planning to get a maid [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Insurance wise will only get hospital insurance for my baby. Both me and hubby got a shield plan that give free coverage our kid til reach 21 - so we only need to insure for the co-insurance 10% & deductible 3k.

Frecy, I am also with Dr ang! My EDD date was push back to 7th june for my last scan at week 14(suppose to be at week 16 but i needed to push the scan date earlier as i have a bad rash) but dr ang was only able to tell my baby gender with only 60-70% accuracy. Now currently in my week 18 and I will only see mr ang in week 20. any idea how accurate is dr ang with estimating the baby gender prior to the fa scan?

eleen, when u going for DS? now i getting concer as Clifton common practise is to go holiday for at least 2 weeks in jun sch holiday.

Rata, my DS is 11 Jan. I'm likely to go labor b4 edd, so shld b ok for me. I remembered him saying he is gg away 1 week after my edd or something. When is your next appt? Check with him again. Think his bro will cover him ba...

eleen, i ask him yesterdae he say usually 2 weeks but not confirm yet. I know his brother will cover but i dun like his brother...I went for my appt yesterdae & DS schedule on 31 Jan.

morning mommies! happy new year in advance.

i've discuss it with the DH and we've decided to donate to the public cord bank.

we are more intrigue by the idea of turning the placenta into pills though. i mean some cosmetics company buy this to make their facial care products, i might as well eat it and provide more nutrients to my breast milk. i wonder how am i going to tell the doctor though. "please keep my placecnta, i want to eat it" LOL *faints*

Chil- i don't think i will be premie since i don't recall any relatives of mine (not sure about the DH) having one. i'm just very scared of getting a lousy CL though. i'm not keen on having the MIL hovering around me even though she is very hardworking and nice (just naggy) and my mum is older and i don't want to tire her (but she makes very nice confinement food, mmmm)

Sze Yun, it's normal to ask for placenta. Its very fishy so u need to get someone to process. I got back mine but it was too fishy, I threw it away... Hubby was so angry...

Claire, after reading your post, I think it's prolly a good idea to donate the blood cord to a public bank. My gynae also mentioned that chances of us needing it is pretty slim, according to stats.

Anyway, had a terrible scare two days ago. Fainted at work and colleagues called for ambulance. Went to kkh and later had vomitting and diarrhoea and horrible abdominal pain. But they scanned bb, and bb was alright. Kicking in me.

Later, I found out that i contracted stomach flu and food poisoning. Slept for 2 days straight and am now recovering well. What a scare. Mostly worried for bb but most ensure that bb is well-protected and virus does not infect bb, only my small intestine.

Anyway, my fren suggested asking for a flu shot at 5 mths, which is next month. I think gynae will also give the shot. Not only it will prevent me from getting more flu bugs (which preggie women are more prone to due to lower immunity system), i think it will help save baby from when i get dehydrated.

Please take care everyone. Have a great weekend ahead.

morning mummies,

Happy 2011 to all and may we all hv a smooth delivery. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

sze yun

I oso took back my placenta and eat it. I hv my nurse fren to help me clean it and portion it. So everytime I juz took out 1 portion to double boil with herbs. I think I will do the same this time. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] My gynae was quite ok when I told her I want to eat it.

Clare and Christy,

My next appt is on 19 Jan and I have to see the sonographer for a detailed scan, then my gynae. They are next to each other so not a problem. Hope my bb is cooperative, if not the nurse says might take the whole afternoon!

We saw the buttocks but in between no white spot, just the umbilical cord. But quite blur and unclear so not sure. But i think my bb like you Clare, always cover the legs..hehe...

By my next appt, I'll be 20 weeks estimated. So i guess can see right? I can't wait. hehehe...

hi all, HAPPY NEW YR TO U ALL in case I don't log in these few days.

Hanis, if you see 3 lines in between, means it's a gal. My #1 also hid his pte parts everytime i went for checkup, it's only during the detailed scan, he actually opened his legs apart and we saw his birdy, lol! My #2 more drama, initally we tot it's a boy cos there is something showing up but gynae told us it don't look like a normal birdy, it was also during the detailed scan, we were able to know the gender. For this bb, gynae and i did see something inbetween there during the last checkup, i make sure the cord and hands are not there to deceive us, lol! My next checkup is next fri, hopefully we will be able to cfm the gender if not will wait for the detailed scan in feb then.

claire and ann01jan, my ms start in the evening nowadays, so i really cant take any dinner till i really feel hungry then eat, if not cfm ms right after dinner. so the only time i can enjoy my foodie will be breakfast and lunch, sigh!

JJ, actually quite exciting all the suspense before knowing gender..hehe..but can't wait to know. I think experienced mothers will have more instinct when looking at the scan! Hubby and I are like, hmm..where? there? oooo....hhahahaahah...so blur!

Also, have a great new year ahead to everyone here..Hope that those having ms, your ms will ease off soon, and that everyone will have a smooth and healthy pregnancy!

Hanis, yes yes, it's exciting to do guessing and suspecting the gender hehee! ya, cos have 2 kids liao, so more or less can guess where and what this and that when scanning haha!

Hi Christine, Im also with Dr Lawrence Ang. And 3 of my sis in law also with him. They say that he is quite accurate in gender of the BB. I went there my 16th week and he told me 80% girl.

Thanks E'leen on the insurance premium. Wow, its sure going to eat into my yearly saving! gotta do some planning now!

Hanis, u r wrong though I m 2nd time mummy when ask my gynae can see gender he show us n ask me wats dat both Hubby n I still cludeless. Then gynae ask me to do Hm see my Hubby is it like dat. Ha ha

Hahahahahaha!!! Ratatouille, your gynae very funny!!!

I feel much better today, just ate a whole bowl of hot fish porridge that mum cooked for me. Slowly gaining energy after that horrible stomach flu scare!

Hanis, my gynae is funny de Eleen will share the same too. When I went on my 1st visit he even joke n say got 2 sac to scare me. Haha

Very funny man! He asked me to look out for the hamburger during #1 scan. Both hubby & me clueless until he explain the three lines means girl, patty between the bun... Then he can still joke with me during my labor pain...

All,

May peace break into your house and may thieves

come to steal your debts.

May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet of $1000 bills.

May love stick to your face and may laughter assault your lips!

May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires and

May happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy.

May the problems you had, forget your home address!

In simple words...

May 2011 be the best year of your life!

Happy New Year..iam so excited.. next year we will celebrate with our cutie.. prince / princess .

Hello mummies. Me resting at home again. Wat a stubborn tat still wandering ard my household! I wish 2011* which is tmr~ I won't c them again !! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Suzieduck, u can enforce to yr cl tat pls don't book another nearer to yr delivery date.

Aiya, so excited. So many mummies spot d bb gender! Bb u must open legs wide n let mummy c hor.

Happy new year everyone!!

My hb was asking why are people buying life insurance for their baby? He said that it is the parents, the sole breadwinners, whom should purchase more insurance coverage.

In the event of unforeseen circumstances happening to the parents, they will leave behind a legacy for the child, ensuring his/her future is well taken care of.

Buying life policy for the child simply doesn't serve that purpose. What good is it if the parents can get $100k or $200k if the child isn’t around anymore? What happens to the child if you are no longer around. Did you leave behind a substantial amount of inheritance to ensure his well-being? In fact, the most important insurance that you need to buy is a comprehensive medical plan for the child. If you are worry about the insurability of the child in future, you can buy a term plan on the child’s life. The premium is much much lower than a whole life policy. Why do you want to spend so much money on a life policy in which a substantial portion of the premium goes to the insurance agent?

To sum it up in order of priorities:

Using the same amount of money which you would have spent on the monthly premium for the life policy,

1) Buy a comprehensive medical plan for the child

2) Buy a term policy for the breadwinner of the family

3) Buy a term policy for the child

4) Invest the balance into a potentially better yielding investment vehicle such as mutual funds, bonds etc…

Sorry gals, My hb ask me to post this de coz he saw an earlier post about buying life insurance for the baby and he feels that he wants to share his five cents worth and hope that it will better benefit mums-to-be. Hehe…Happy New Year!

Altariel> Your HB must be a good financial planner and you are definitely financially safe with him!!!

Fancy> Thanks for that post! hope everything in your post will come real! 2011, here we come!!!

Eleen, same lor still ask me to look at his shades for my gal reflection

verluv> no lah, he is not a financial planner...he is just sharing his knowledge in this area and hope that mums-to-be are not 'conned' by money-making financial planners...hehe...

Hmm, can't agree on the point on term insurance cause monthly premium increases with age... It will exceed one's budget at some point... But breadwinner definitely shld be insured.

Hanis,

I was so shocked to read your post. Better take good care of yourself. It's true that we fall I'll easier now. Till now I still get on off flu myself.

Regarding placenta, I read from another thread that this lady found a company to process it into pills form for consumption.

leenmummy> eh..I spoke to my hb and this was his reply - "term insurance provides coverage at a fixed rate of payments for a relevant term. Thus rate doesn't increase."

An excerpt from Mr Goh Chok Tong at NTUC Income 40th Anniversary -

"What can we do to keep insurance protection affordable? I urge the insurance industry to make a more concerted effort to address this. Part of the problem lies in the conventional practice of insurers in bundling the savings and protection elements into what is known as Whole Life Plans. Since the savings element in such Whole Life Plans can be very significant, the insurance premiums could be 3-5 times that of pure protection Term Assurance plans, for the same level of protection. I faced the same problem when I first started work. I could not afford a Whole Life Plan but had the good sense to choose a Term Assurance policy.”

Hope it helps!!!!

Syrah, thanks...Usually, I can't wait to get the flu shot next jan...Am feeling much better.

Altariel, wow, so informative, I think my hubby read it and he was a bit blur also! But I guess we got the gist of it. Very helpful!

Wow...this thread runs fast leh...

Hanis,we shall look forward to our next visit n must coax our bb to open legs big big..lol

Rata,Congrates to knowing ur bb's gender!can shop ^-^

Last but not least,

Happy New Year to all the mummies here n to ur loved ones! *hugs*

Hi friends! Blessed 2011!!!

My hubby and i spend the last day of 2010 doing a hospital tour at mt alvernia and east shore hospital!! It was a good trip and mt A definetely has very gd service! Anyway, if u decide on mt A and join their prenatal classes, u will get a discount!

We are going to check out thomson medical before deciding which prenatal classes to go for :)

Back