(2011/05) May 2011

apple...issit?

cos my gf who r moms told me cannot b too 'bu' wor...last time my aunty oso..eat too 'bu' b4 give birth

she dun hv BM for her 1st son leh...

Re: BM

i duno if u drink lots of tonic soups mean u will have lots more BM. So long u drink lots of fluid, be it tonic soups, plain water, milo, etc etc. I stopped taking tonic soups aft confinement mth but i takes plenty of fluid and i still manage to build up the supply i wan and bfeed my boy for 2years.

Demand = supply. Latch more pump more then the ss will build up slowly.

Bfeeding is not easy and alot of sacrifies are needed. No pain no gain.

re: BM

Yes Demand = supply. Everyone can BF, so dun give up.

The 1st week is the toughest, 80% of the woman who started will give up by the end of the 1st week. If u perserver, ur chances of succeding is very high, once u hit one month, drop off rate is about 40%, so jia you.

I think the 1st week is the most tough cos u r dealing with crack nipples, bb dun latch well, alwasy crying, post natal blues etc

starfruit,

yup. i agree. 1st week quite tough as for most, the BM has yet to come in and u struggle to feed the nb with watever u can produce and for some u may have elders ard u giving nasty remarks abt u nt having BM or BM nt as gd as FM etcetc. So long u have the support of ur hb, preserve and continue to wk on building the supply, you will be rewarded.

Its really impt to be determined abt it and putting it into actions.

I'm hungry [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] today I lazy to walk out for lunch..asking the office aunty to help me tar pao. She is buying prawn mee soup with pork ribs.

Val - true, lots of fluid & the frequency of pumping + latching will build up supply. I think drinking tonic soup is to replenish the nutrient to BM or else we will look haggard during the BF period.

Dolly - cordyceps price has been climbing up over the years..horrible!! I'm thinking of using pao sheng instead, but my girl don't like pao sheng taste. So for her we still put cordyceps no choice. Yea I always tell her this is expensive jelly..that day I teach my maid how to clean, and she told my maid this is my expensice jelly..haha funny rite

starfruit : ya lor... when i was trying to BF on my 2nd day after delivery... she doesn't have enuf milk & keep crying... so have to supplement her with bottle milk... after the massage lady helps me to massage, then start to see colustrum... you can see BB satisfying face when she manage to suckle & has her fill... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

val : same here lor... when my NB kept crying after we were discharge... my MIL kept telling me don't BF... BB don't have enuf milk, blah, blah... i almost give up... till my HB give me his support...

apple : exactly... remember early last year, wanted to buy the cordycep from FH for my confinement... after hearing the price, my jaws drop... OMG... how can it be so expensive? my aunt told me it wasn't this expensive many years back... so i only get those lower grade...

apple,

so nice of ur office aunty to help u tabao. sometimes my colleagues will offer to tabao for me and i will be v happy. hahaha. ur lunch sounds gd. think i going to tabao mee pok later =P

My dad will try to make me eat more nia. More fish, more vege, more meat. hahaha. I tell him he machim feeding a pig as he makes me eat more than wat i usually takes.

Re: cordyceps

yes. the price has been going north these few yrs. my dad ok to buy birdnest for me but for cordyceps he ask me to buy myself =P

dolly,

imagine in another 6mths or lesser we have to go back to latching n pumping schedule. hehehehe.

dolly - I find lower grade one the taste not so great and u gotta put 4-5 strands for birdnest..come to square one. That's y I bought the $450 prepacked one. I saw $500, but not much diff compared to $450 except maybe a few strands are fatter lo..

For me, 15g pack can last approx 4-6 months depends on consumption. I think this round we gotta use more coz my girl is taking and I myself also need to take some by end of 2nd trim bah

dolly/val and all mummies, determine to BF, get support from HB. i was telling HB that no matter what i say, to alwasy encourage me to cont and dun give up BFing, i think his words helped a lot.

i was lucky, my MIL was very supportive cos my SIL (her eldest daughter) was very successful in bfing and she was very enrouraging as well. It was my other relatives that will give comments, like BB not enuff milk lah etc etc, think must give formula. just zen and ignore and u should be fine. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

apple : well, i only get the cordycep for the blackchicken soup... anyway, i've never tasted it before... so even if it's a higher grade, won't taste any diff to me...

starfruit : yeah... i also told my MIL & Mum that i'll carry on to BF till no more supplies.. as BB will need to BF every 2 to 3 hr or even earlier, MIL will complain that BB has not enough milk. give BB take FM...

Val - yea the pantry aunty very nice, sometimes she makes kuih she also offer to us.

She helps a few colleague tar pao regularly, so now she see me preggie, she offers her help and said if rains I better tar pao, don't walk out..so slippery.

Talking about BF and NB..my girl and NB will be 5yrs gap..imagine after 5yrs I gotta start all over!! gosh..sleepless nites coming

starfruit - my FIL is not so encouraging..he feels that BM is not as good as FM! I can't be bothered la..but after he sees my girl so chubby during 3-4 months he dares not comment anymore coz I prove him wrong that BF bb is also chubby and not only FM bb..haha

icic....thanks mommies for the info on BM...hehe

i shall remb to take more fluids...from nw on..LOL

i m thinking of mee siam from qi ji again & fruit juice...kekeke

Hello mummies! I'm back to work! Went to see the gynae yesterday and she said it's probably a girl.=)

Bird's nest: I think I very lazy lor... Everytime is my MIL make for me... haha... Feel so blessed. =)

Breastfeeding: Do you know that newborns can survive for the first few days without anything? My girl didn't have anything until the 4th day when my milk can in. Babies are really resilient... =)

dolly/val, bfedding really not easy, hubby was quite hesitant as he notice i wasnt getting enough sleep too, coz need to latch on every 3 hours in the beginning and baby couldnt latch on properly so i was pumping every 3 hours. But eventually after much perseverance, i managed to go on until kid is 1 year. MIL is also supportive as my SIL managed 6 months too.

Yeah soups help, especially the papaya and fish head soup, alsmot doubles the amount for that day. the Mother's milk tea and fenugreek didnt work so much for me.

But overall, a good breastpump and proper storage helps. Then others can help us warm up and bottle feed when we wana rest. To do "feed on demand" of baby is too tough for me, so thank goodness somebody invented the Medela PISA.

hannah: i tot NB should have enuff reserve to last them 1 week!! haha its usually we parents KS thats why so stressed out.

U r very lucky to have MIL to make BN for u.. hahah

starfruit: Yeah... I agree that whoever invented and improvised the breastpumps into the ones we have now are brilliant! =) And it's normal to worry esp if you're a new mum and everyone around you says that the baby is hungry, need to drink... So much pressure!! =)

apple : rite... after 3/4 mths.. when my MIL saw how chubby my girl is after BF... she also keep quiet...

hannah : better to supplement the NB with FM for the first few days... Maybe you can get some bottles from the hospital before you discharge, that's what i do... hahahah...

dolly: Well, this time i think the milk should come in faster ba... at the very least i can now recognise what is milk and what's not! Haha... Anyway, the good thing is that my girl didn't have jaundice at all so there was no need to supplement with anything at all.

I think all of us will have good BF support after we give birth coz majority are 2nd time mummies. Also, we are kinda experience, will not have much post-natal blue on BF especially ppl starting to comments on us.

dolly,

yup. full time moo moo cow. hahaha. my hubby commented, before he slp, he see me pump, when he wakes up he oso sees me pumping. hahaha.

starfruit,

cant agree more. So long as one has got hb's support, tats the most impt. of coz if staying with parents or inlaws and they help to look aft the nb then tat will be another prob if they arent pro-bfeeding.

apple,

true. rainy days better be more careful..coz i almost slipped once as i went to tabao.

hehee. 5yrs gap is quite big ya.

anyway, no matter hw big or small the gap is, everyone will go thro the sleepless nites again. hehehe.

hannah,

same here la. i am lazy to brew. so its always my parents who brew and cook nice food for me =P

wah. so fast u know gender liao. i cant wait to know mine!

re: breast pump

i used to use medela swing...but i give up aft 1 mth as it cldnt draw out as much milk as my goody 2 hands! heehhe. so out of 24mths of bfeeding, 23 mths were completed with my hands =)

this time rd will be the same, i will nt invest in any pump n wil rely on my 2 bare hands =)

dolly/hannah/star: i'll need to learn fr all of u next time for bf. wasnt successful w #1 last time but i'll try again this time. but i'm juz thinkin how to pump at work cos no proper pl, there's only 1 handicap toilet which i think is suitable only [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Val - pumps with bare hands?? wow..salute u la sure very painful!

Ash - do u have small meeting room in office which u can use? pumping in the toilet is not hygienic ler

va|: Wah..................... *kowtow* Anyway, the Medela PISA and Freestyle seems to do the job much better than the lower end pumps like the swing and the mini electric.

Ash_r: Sure! You can consider investing in a nursing apron to cover up. I did that at my workstation when I was pumping at work. (But must depend on your comfort level. Also coz my office is mostly females.)

Ash,

i pumped in the storeroom in my office as mine dun have a proper nursing room. so gd thing i pump with my hands so dun nd any electricity. and gd thing is i dun nd to sterilise any pump, just wash my hands can le =P

apple,

hmmm...1st few weeks yes but aft tt i am immune to it le. its oso more convenient aft i am used to pumping with bare hands.

hannah,

yes, coz the motor is stronger hence better suction. my friends have been using Freestyle. But for me then, i didnt wan to invest in another pump then as I didnt know hw long i can bfeed and i didnt wan another disappointment with the pump so i trial n err with my bare hands and since it wk for me, i stick to it lo. hehehe.

Thanks apple n mudpie. Starfruit, I added u liao. Mine fb name is Jxxxx Qxxx.

Dolly, u hv v gd knowledge on the Chinese herbs. Thanks for the recipe. Will try it out so someday. I love herbal soups. Hvn't bought the birdnest yet due to my fever. Hopefully will clear up soon. It's super hot tday. Drink more water, ladies.

Hi,

Sorry to disturb, I have already delivered and looking to clear some brand-new and preloved baby and maternity items. Items include:

BN Avent Light Moisturizing oil @ $15, RP:$29.90

BN mothercare nursing gowns x 2 @ 35, RP: $75

Preloved mothercare swaddling blanket in pink@ $15 RP: $39 (used less than 5x-bb dun like)

Preloved Dale abdominal binder. @ $25 RP:$65 - $80 (used once)

Preloved EGG maternity black shorts @ $20, RP: $159 (worn less than 5x)

And many more..for more pics and descriptions,

please see here http://picasaweb.google.com/116194716505027587843/ItemsForSale?authkey=Gv1sRgCOf1kYbm-8Ta1gE#

If keen, please PM. Thanks!

SOLD items will be deleted in the album, so it won’t be confusing.

apple: dun hv small meeting rooms. there is a store room full of brochures but not sure if dusty.

hannah: pump at workstation. oh no! i wont dare to do it and there is a few men ard.

val: ur hand not sng ah? how long is ur pumping session?

today's topic is on BF.... that reminds me of a funny conversation that i overhead 3 mummies in my office nursing rm. I was pumping BM at a corner and just came back from maternity leave. The conversations goes like this:

Mummy A: What do u gals do when u hve excess BM stored in the fridge and going to expire? throw aways seems very sayang leh.

Mummy B: oh, i gave it to my dog to drink...well, it's milk.. think shd be ok...

Mummy C: I wanted to throw but my mother-in-law said "NO" and addded it as creamer in my father-in-law's coffee

Mummy B: WHAT? he din find it funny?

Mummy C: hahhaha, he find it funny and muttered something like different brand of the creamer for today

Mummy A: yucks, i think better not tell him

Funny, right...

auroa : ya lor... my ex-colleague's boy stop taking BM when he's about 10mths, & she has lots of milk in the fridge. she also feed her doggies with her milk... & her hb used her milk for coffee too...

Ash, i would said pumping at workstation takes alot of courage... i once did it during a last min meeting.. my boss said cannot be excused from the meeting.. as all females, i took a jacket and covered up and starts to pump... got 2 females colleagues kept on laughing... 1 very young and just marrried and she found it so embrassing and funny to see me pumping and meeting at the same time... the other colleague is a auntie who's in her fifties... she feel so embrassing and giggling at the back... they can heard the milk pumping out and filling up the bottle and so amused just by hearing the sounds.. sigh... after that incident, i never did it other than the office nursing room...

Auroa - My gosh! Ur coliks super funny lo..

Actually bm taste is awful..I tried once..nearly vomit :p but hor I remembered I pump and throw while I'm on biz trip..my colik said sayang don't throw then she use them to soak in bath tub..gross

dolly, my hubby said that the milk tasted so suan (he took the BM stored in the fridge) and he dun dare to take it anymore... even i ask him to take the fresh BM, he also dun want...

apple, i heard from 1 of the nursing mums in my office that she used it to bath her NB... said that skin super smooth... i din do i, thinking if bath, i will need to bath her with BM and then plain water to rinse it off... super troublesome... got 1 nursing mum said that she combine black beer with BM to bath her NB... will gives very smooth and shiny skin... said that it's taught by her CL...

after coming back to the office after ML, going to the nursing rm is my happiest hrs in the office liao.. can chit chat with the nursing mums and share tips too... my dept colleagues not very supportive in BF and some will ask, BF during ML will do and stop after comes back to office... why continue, etc...

hahaha....BM for adults to drink..LOL

really taste not nice meh? then hw NB can take it ah? very diff taste from FM anot ah?

Back