(2011/03) Mar 2011

Spyria: dun stressed cos u feed bb fm.. I also feed my bb a few feeds of fm mah.. To me no big deal la cos I know I sure convert to full bm soon..

I mentioned many many times, no cold compress no cold cabbage cos it reduces milk flow..

To open ducts soften breasts should ALWAYS use hot compress..

And I repeat again huh... Engorgement cannot be solved in a day or once/twice hot compress, it will only go away after couple of days of massage/latch/pump (OFTEN)..

Spyria: dun give up on latching. Initially my boy also refused to latch n my milk supply is really low. I also no choice m have to give him formula. But as time goes by, my milk ss increase n I try to get him to latch. N he latch successfully. So happy lo.. I cried when seeing him suckling on my beast.

Maybe u want to consider seeing a lactation consultant? They will give u advice on latching. The breast feeding pillow also helps alot for my case.

Spyria: keep trying to latch her first la.. But it might be abit tough due to the short nipple.. U frustrated and she also screaming away adding on to your stress..

So find a way which suits both ways, u won't stress and she dont cry first..

It's not easy to try to satisfy her and also don't stress yourself..

Jiayou! I hv short nipple too but I succeeded..

2ks,

okie i got it. (repeating to myself) - dun dispair, try to latch, if unsuccessful, will pump out regularly, give bb a chance until she gets older...engorgement is to use hot compress and massage and pump and it will clear eventually. got it got it. many many thanks.

babyhappie,

thanks for sharing your experience with me. cos i see everyone latch successfully and i feel like such a failure. i saw a lactation consultant when im in the hospital. i also feel like tearing when i read your post. i hope the day will come soon when my bb latch on properly. =)

Allets

Thk u should sit down and hv a Gd talk with your mom. Cos if dun thrash out things will just get more strained.

Last time I oso hv issues with my mom when she did confinement for me when I had my no. 1. She dun let me

bathe and I nearly went into depression. Then my Hb talked

to her n she let me bathe but she say Nx time I hv health

problems dun blame her. So after that all my confinements i rather get CL to do for me. The prob with own ppl doing for u is that u can't expect much n they oso old Liao. Can't instruct them to do this n that so I rather pay n get CL although CL also gets on my nerves but after confinement dun hv to see her again whereas if own ppl, if any conflicts will affect your relationship n still hv to face them after confinement.

Cheer up ok. Things can be solved if the 2 of u hv a good talk. Pat pat.

Spyria,

I also have inverted nipples. Was not very successful with latching my #1, so pumped exclusively for 19 months. Now trying with #2. It helps to pump to draw out the nipples for latching. I just posted earlier this excellent breastfeeding website that I discovered. Realised that I've latching wrongly. The correct way should be asymmetric latch. Just to share again:

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Spyria: no no no... Can't latch doesn't mean u are a failure..

Besides short nipple and inverted nipple there are many other reasons that bb can't latch..like impatient, lazy, etc..

Just hang on there, dun stress yourself.. Stress also will affect bm supply ok..

Jiayou!

just to let the other mummies whom gave birth around same day as me.. yup the pain breasts does kick in about 3-4 day. I kept latching and by today its not so pain. I used hot towel 2x and tried the hot donut too.my breasts are still a bit too hard but not as bad as the first day.

my bb is a lazy latcher but i just keep trying. so I put him on both breasts for as long as he can ie 15-20 mins per side. there are times he will latch not even 10 mins but i just let him and then change breast. after that he will start to cry cuz still hungry then hav to top up a bit of FM.

2ks,

thanks for all the tips n sharing.

Btw, not sure if you have posted this before but how do I convert to full express to feed baby?

lilprecious,,

you also express n feed rite?

now my milk not too much, is it I have to keep latching to increase volume and at which point can I move on to solely pumping for bb.

Thanks all again.

I have short nipple on my right breast too! But Bb still can latch on if he good mood n do a proper job - as what 2Ks mentioned, Bb needs to really open his mouth big big n grab your whole areola then can latch better on short nipple. Bb can suck n pull out ur short nipple de. But when he is impatience n I offered my right breast n he didn't latch well then he will go fussy n cries!! He can feed better n less cranky on my left breast so I confirm is my short nipple problem!

Today I finally tried to bathe my boy myself coz mil reaching late so I thought of doing it myself (anyway I have to bathe him sooner or later), n I did it all with my eye power that I learnt from the past 3 weeks! So happy that I managed to bathe him with success - no crying! Felt really proud of myself n it's great sense of satisfaction! I still managed to settle him to sleep after bathing n feeding him some water! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I think he is more difficult to handle at night than morning...

Tonight gonna be on our (Hubby n me) own again coz my parents going to attend a wedding dinner. Hope everything will go smoothly for me tonight!

Am going to visit hair salon for hair cut n wash with hubby! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Spyria-'dun feel despair when bb dun latch successfully.. For me, i do exclusive pumping n feeding Ebm thru bottle..'there was only once when bb successfully latch on but i find it too painful Liao cos mayb she suck wrongly.. N after discussing with hb, decided to continue w exclusive pumpin n feeding.. Anyway for ftwm, sooner or later we also need to intro bottle when we go back to work Ma..So to me, my bonding time

with bb is when she awake I talk to her Lo.. To me, is not e method of feeding.. Wat is impt is that bb gets to drink my breast milk! Pumping is tiring n a number of times I really feel like giving up.. But when u see e lil one satisfied n smiling,'it's worth it..'exclusive pumping has its adv also..'that is

Daddy gets to participate in feeding while mummy get to rest.. Heehee..'be positive ba! As for my ss,'exclusive pumping I also able to get surplus n store in freezer.. Not alot though but min 1'day 1 pack..

Mummies with freestyle pump- can i check if ur pump is able To clear ur boobs well ? I realizes that after pumping, sometimes e side of both breasts still feel hard leh.. Than my ml told me when pumPing,'need to push ur breast toward e funnel..'

annie

wah shiok about the wash n cut hair part!!!

im glad finally you managed to bf J successfully...remember that time u still very de scared heeheeheee now u seasoned liao lor hor

butter8

obviously most important thing for exclusive pumping is must be very diligent every 3 hrs so you must plan your timing and stick to schedule,....dont be late or lazy n skip sessions...

once u started pumping then can give the output to bb, stop your latches instead...

initially, ensure that your pump timing is different from bb feeding time so that you always have ready stock of bm for you bb when he wants his feed...

just build up ur supply...no need to teach...it will just come to you naturally n u'll knw what to do there n then

i just realised that i have not eaten rice since the day i was sick till now...still no appetite...got space for my mom's confinement dishes and no more space for rice

hope got lose some weight lor......pray n hope

Butter8: from latch to express is easy.. Just set routine to pump that's all.. Stop the latching then just bottle feed..

Bottle feeding can gauge how much bb is drinking, someone else can help, can go out without bb, can plan own time to do things...

Latch- convenient when bring bb out..

Pixie, our nipples really will seasoned loh! Now I believe Liao coz now latching is not painful to me anymore. N no more bleeding or sore nipples. But nipples still abit sensitive to touch la, perhap is I dun dare to go touch it hard! Haha.. Still have phobia of painful nipples... But glad that now latch n pump not pain anymore...

Going out now is a challenge. Need to time properly when to pump, do a last pump b4 going out then wash n sterilize the parts to bring out for next pumping session outside.

I feel like coloring my hair but think no time. I just cut n wash thoroughly! Hehe.. Going JP to gai gai too... I'm a happy mum today! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Pooh Bear: This is what I told my CL that abit of blood is okay. But she insisted that is not good for baby. So I just let her be. Anyway, now I am improving. My nipples are recovering. But supply still pathetic. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Annie, shiok hor can go salon to do ur hair..[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] ur confinement over liao huh?? btw, u and Alice Tan are frenz or relatives?? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] So qiao Alice is my Sec mate but we diff class la..

2Ks, u damn seasoned and pro in BF lor.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] so envy those who have more milk supply... i tink my milk supply decreasing liao.. but my son's demand is less than my milk supply.. i have like 10 packets of BM in the freezer for him..

I cant wait to go for my hair appointment on 6 April.. haa.. it's been awhile since ive got my hair done.. :p

poohbear,

thanks for sharing the website, will def give it a read and see if there are better ways to latch.

butter,

my breast is very hard too..my 4th day. good that u can latch ur bb, i pump out le still hard. how long u pump per session?

annie,

job well done! since like eye powee learning helps! today is my ist time witnessing CL bath bb...looks like so fun but im sure i will kalang kabok nxt time. also must eye power for now.

shiok leh can visit saloon. i still tahan-ing nt to wash hair for now.

allets,

u do exclusive pumping too? yah im using freestyle now, pump at level 5 but same as u, my breast are still very hard after each session, maybe im having engorgement now dats y? but no choice, have to hot compress, massage n cont to pump for now. how long n wat level did u use to do pumping?

pixel,

u okie le ma? good to take in more dishes and less rice anyway, less carbo = slim down faster!!

thank you mummies for all your replies, advises and encouragement..i feel better, really. hubby also gave me a hug and told me to go easy.

i hv to go prepare to pump le, chitchat later!!

Ting Ting,

you may want to try Fenugreek (fr GNC) it is a supplement to increase ur milk supply. I tried...and now the milk ss has increased.. :D

ST, does fenugreek makes yr breats engorged since it helps to increase yr supply? I wana try, but scare of engorged boobs. My fenugreek sitting in my fridge.

Hazel: haha.. Not seasoned and pro la.. But it makes me happy when others managed to succeed with bf.. Whether listens or not..

That's why I keep repeating and repeating.. Cos I tot can help just help, but may not works for all la..

It actually depends on mummies hardwork too...

It's still not too late to build up your supply now.. Still got time... Just work harder this month..

Tingting: u also hv short nipple? U can still try to latch bb once a day, otherwise if u drag like 2-3 weeks the baby might forget to latch already..

Annie,

yeah!!! congrats... by the way, how do u wash ur boy's hair ah? for me when i hold the bb i can't do the washing of the hair liao leh...

allets,

squeeze ur breast when the nipple is being sucked by the pump... this way, u'll get more milk out of ur breast... i dunno if this helps. u know the funnel got the hard part rite? the 2 at the side one.. usually i will position the funnel parallel.. then after 10 mins of pumping i'll put it vertical... i can get more milk by doing this.. hahaa.. not sure if u know what i'm saying.. hehee..

ehhh... Chen, make sure pump/latch diligently yah when taking fenugreek... i took it.. didn't pump for half a day n i ended up with inflammed breasts... but cos i took 2 pills 3 times a day can...

Zenia, missed ur reply earlier on. Bring ur Bb gal put more often, I'm sure she will get used to it! Jia you... I can't wait to bring my boy out! Hubby suggests next Sunday, after full month on sat

Hazel, yes, Alice Tan is my poly class mate! So qiao right? That time I already asked her abt u coz I saw u in her friend list too! Hee... Next time we three can go out together with our boys... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Spyria, my confinement not over yet. Next sat is my Bb full month celebration but official 30 days should be 5 April since I gave birth on 5 march? I not following confinement rules strictly one la.. I always break the rules except dieting n drinking nv break. Go out dunno how many times Liao... My Hubby wanna cut hair today so I joined him. Wah, damn shiok to let my hair dresser scrub my hair scalp!! The feeling is more shiok than we wash our own hair! I cut a nice nice hair to prepare myself next sat - mei mei! ;)

Oh, just now I very disobedient. I tasted abit chilled milk coffee that Hubby bought at 7-11. Just a sip n the feeling machiam go heaven! So long didn't drink cold n nice drink! I want more but I abit scare so control myself! Hubby bad, tempt me to take a sip! :p

Jaster, I wrapped my boy with towel then football hold him n washed his hair loh. After washing his hair I faster dry clean his head with towel b4 proceeding to remove his diaper, clean his backside then carried n dipped him down into bath tub loh.. Eye power for 2 weeks+ is enough for u to hands on urself! Then I went for the prenatal class also got teach, so I practice what I learnt n saw.

Jaster, tat's the thing lor, cos i latch all the time. If bb doesnt clear both breasts, will be super engorged. Yet, i wana up my supply to stock up when i go back to work. By tat time, he'll be drinking at abt 210ml. He's already drinking 150ml now. Faint. Maybe i'll try one and see how...

Pixie - wow 420ml??? Terror!! So envy [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Annie - wow so shoick leh... Went out few times le. M still stucked at home. Only went out once for few hrs to mum's house for Bb praying ancestors on her full mth nia. Looking fwd to sun for bb's full mth celebration at chevrons. that b end of my 40 day confinement

Chen - 150ml now? How old is ur boy?

Chen... so far still no engorgement...but I am happy with my improvement from 20ml combined (aft latched) ...now become 100ml (combined after latched)...

2ks,

ive been pumping every 3hrs wif freestyle power level 5 for 15-20mins each session.

prior to that i use hot water and towel to massage my breast for abt 3-5mins each breast then i start pumping.

but my breast still very hard n painful after every pump. its like the milk is still stuck inside. my yield now for both breast combines is 10-15ml nia.

am i doing the procedure correctly?

allets / butter

u got this problem?

ST: oh! Maybe I shld try to get frenugreek to boost my supply. Thanks girl!

2ks: no, my nipples are not short. Cos past few days, my nipples cracked then got blood. So I let it rest first b4 letting the bb to latch again. Maybe I shall try to let her latch tmr.

Hi Mummies!!

2Ks - So far moo moo career is working well... supply is hoovering over combine 125-160ml depending... but cos I using manual pump so its really tiring to wake up every 3 hrs to pump... so am trying to drag the pumping time to 4 hrs starting today until my medela arrive then see how hehe... lucky Rach is there to help me order otherwise I really duno how long more can I survive on manual pump...

2Ks/pixiel - I'm more prone to exclusive pumping other then may be night/midnight feed can latch awhile cos intent is to send bb to IFC so dun wanna her to get use to boobs... if this is the case, how you all bring the ebm out when bringing bb out? Do you pump outside? Or you actually sometimes latch bb when outside?

Lx3 - Today is my 11th day and my below wound still hurts due to my bad tear up to buttock... I wld say the pain is even worst now... gynae already tell me after 1w of birth the pain will get worst only after 2w then will be better... I seriously hope its true.... I walk also limp... go toilet be it big or small biz also a torture for me cos as I sit at the toilet bowl I can feel as if my buttock is splitting at the wound, ouch... my painkiller already finish since yday and today I start eating the normal panadol... if not dun think I can survive...

Angelia - THe painkiller that TMC gave is suppose to be taken twice a day but in order to stretch the painkiller, I take only once a day but yday already finish whole course.. on thursday I went for my post-natal checkup and gynae say ok to take normal panadol.... so I took it this morning... hopefully I can survive with taking only 2 tablets each morning for the next 4 days and hopefully by then the wound wld have heal... if not sit on bed to pump or latch also will affect the wound lor... seriously this slow healing pain is worst then the labour pain for me... cannot even walk ard my hse.. . hear bb cry want to walk over to carry also cannot cos pain...

Xiaofeizhu,

My gynae told me it takes abt 1 week for wound to heal. Need 2 weeks tt long ar? Mine also close to anus. Tml

Is my chk up, hopefully she will tell me I'm healing well. I tried prune juice, makes my stomach rumble abit but nowhere close to shitting feeling. Sat in the toilet for 15mins body ache lik crazy, gave up Liao. 4th day aft labour still no poo now I'm worried lik crazy. Feel lik inserting the saline water into anus to make me poo. Can anot huh?

Xiaofeizhu : oh? You sooo guai still manage to finish the painkiller ar? After i come back from Hospital that day, i never even touch the painkiller lo... Cause need to take care of bb than only when i remember than i take... Lol !! =p hmmm... Did gynae gave you a medicine called " Procanol Lotion " for you to gently pat on your wound?

Spyria

I pump 20 mins but now I find total latch better n easier for me. My breast not pain now.

They r still b bit stuck I feel, so now I know why my boy gives up on rite breast. But no choice he n I have to work hard to get my flow going.

Confinement

I dunno how u ladies do it... Applaud u.

Day 5 n I'm thinking of giving up lol.

Already Bo chup n use herb water to rinse my hair.

Tempted to drink water cuz I'm not hydrated enough.

I'm sure I'm going to get hormonal too like last time. I feel bad I can't bring my boy(no 1) to the pool, park or playground [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

I can't possibly play much w him n end up he watches so much tv or plays w maid till bored. Lucky weekend my hb or parents take him out. My hub also feel bad I can't join too.

How I wash my hair - will get headaches?

Spyria: I m not using freestyle so I dunno the power ok or not..

To clear engorgement faster (those few days pain) pump more often.. Like every two hours, in between if bb cries still try to latch..

Then press on those lumps...

Call your ml to come after day 5. It will speed up clearing...

I also tahan the engorgement but I know how I should clear it la.. So those initial few days pain I can tahan..

Now I only engorge in the morning after 6/7 hours no pump.. And I can pump out 400ml also..

won mummy, he's 6wks old now. A giant milk drinker. He's got a slightly above average weight when i visited pd, but pd say continue to feed on demand lei.

ST, after latch u still can get so much. I can hardly get that amt after latch.

Tingting: after taking fenugreek, u must down fluids also ok..

Oh bleeding nipple... Ouch... But I Bian tai.. Although my nipple bleeding I still latch..

Bear for a few more days ya.. After nipple seasoned le then no prob le

Xiaofeizhu: ouch... I think u are just like me when I had kyler.. I had the pain down there so long.. Even need to sit on cushion all that.. But this time round think my labour is too fast, so I didn't suffer so much and the pain actually much better after a week.. But this time round I use a bottom spray, think it help to cool it down..

Regarding exclusive pumping and bringing bm out. Did u buy ftg? Usually I bring 2 feeds of ebm out (can stay chilled for 6hours) then a cup to warm up the ebm..

By the 3rd month or so, I can tahan 6 hours no pump.. So by 6 hours I m home le.. Otherwise I just bring my pump out.

Initial stage, I latch.. But I stop latching after 2/3 month cos don't want him to get use to my neh neh..

U said u wanna put bb in ifc.. U got a space already?? Sbw limited IFC leh

Pixie: u go back to 4 hourly can up your supply ah? Your neh very obedient.. Lol..

Chen: I very hardworking in pumping.. But abit stuck with supply already... Now 4 hourly I can get only 220-250ml..

These few days no increase..

Bo Bian... Mine also a milk monster.. He not full he won't sleep...

Hi 2nd

U have a chest freezer? M thinking of getting one

To store my ebm too! Whr did u get yours N how much is it?

Re: increase milk supply - I feel that eating fish helps to

Increase my supply.

L3x - After my gynae visit on 7th day even more pain cos when he check the wound he go push the stiches lor... I can tell you its dot dot dot kind of a feeling... cos upon delivering when my gytnae is doing the stiches, I already asked him if my tear is bad, he said moderately bad and straight away tell me I need at least 2w to heal... think if you can get your hands on the stool softener it will be better... I'm not sure if can insert the saline water but near wound leh you dare to insert?

Angelia - Not I guai... is I bo bian.... I put the painkiller on the dining table so that after breakkie I will rem to eat.. I sure will eat it cos pain lol... The lotion that TMC give I forget the name liao but in a brown glass bottle... I finish that quite some time liao, now using the spray type....

2Ks - Yup I got use the cururao spray (not sure of the spelling)... I see, thanks for sharing the info... I haven got a space in sbw ifc... still on waiting list lor... when my wound gets better then I will try ot contact them again... now can only rest and be milk cow... You know when I go for my checkup, Dr Ang still can joke say better not have sex with hubby now.. Wahh I 'hundred lines' lor... I tell him if I do it now I will die straight away...

Blueroti: yes I hv a chest freezer.. 90litre one. Kadeka by kdk.. I bought at $270 at a shop in jurong.

There are many brands and type in the market

2ks

yup back to 4 hrs will up back my supply lor. Then slowly stretch back to 6hrs. I fast forward too quick liao...impatient to stretch the hrs. Lazy mah

Xiaofeizhu: u know when I had #1 I also teared very badly Ma then next day dr Ang still cum and check the wound, that time I dunno so pain!! Then this time round he wanna check the wound, I told him can don't check.. The. He said ok but will check when go for check up in his clinic..

But I went like 10days later so it's not much pain le..

U better start calling the IFC, it's really limited space... Heng kiefer got space already.. Although not my first choice but Bo Bian better than no space

Chen: yah abit surprise i can get 100ml ..i just taken Fenugreek only yesterday.....immediately can see the effect...but compared to other mummies here...mine really still sup sup water...

Heard that if we do not increase our milk supply during confinement period...when comes to 2nd mth...the milk supply is most likely stabilized liao...

Back