(2011/01) Jan 2011

Kimmy and misty: I learn abt danggui at those antenatal classes when I had #1. also when u drink those bottled chicken essence or birds nest, look out for danggui.

Whisp: like what chelleybaby has mentioned, babies have preferred breast. My #1 din take the left side well last time due to forceful letdown. But after a while, she's ok. My #2 now likes the for forceful letdown but fuss at the slow flow of the right. It's amaZing how these babies have a mind of their own/

lucky mummy: did you put on the strap onto the back of pump head? the other end of strap clips on to the nursing bra.

Nursing bra can unclip and remove the cup right, so you can hook the strap for medela onto nursing bra clip. When you do that, the whole pump hangs from your bra. Place the pump at your breast covering aerola. It will not stay there tight initially untill you switch on the pump for stimulation. the suction from the pump gets stronger after stimulation stage to letdown stage. If you had placed the funnel correctly, you will see your nipple moving in the funnel. the whole funnel will stay on your breast during let down stage.

normally i support it for a while till the suction is strong enough to release.

the timing indeed cut by half instead of doing one side at a time.

lucky mummy - actually pumping both side at a time is better. Cos when u hv let down, both sides will let down at the same time.

thanks chelleybaby, tien, grumpus and mummies who have given me words of encouragement. i'll try to be patient, heed ur advice of leaning back, and letting both baby and i learn the process of breastfeeding together. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

by the way, how to know whether the diapers is the right size for baby? my princess is a strong "kicker", to the extend that the diaper tends to go out of place, and poopoo starts leaking out *headache*

she's currently wearing newborn size, her last weight registered last fri is ard 2.8kg, have tried her with small size diaper but there's still big "lobang" around the thighs area. is there such thing as a belt to secure the diaper to her waist huh? sorry for the silly question, but desperate after having to change and wash the sheets every time the leakage happens.

Tien

thanks for the advice on the dang gui. will tell my mum not to put in anymore.

luckymummy

so far i'm stuck w 2oz per pump every 3 hr. hmm.. but the time needed to reach 2oz is shorter. hope it's a good sign that milk supply will be increasing soon.

try changing the formula? or pump in advance so you won't be stress by bb's crying?

whisp

i took near 2 weeks to get my baby to latch better and on the 'malfunction' breast. dun worry. try using newborn size bah. S size is generally for 3kg baby onwards. if got lobang, later the poo/pee will leak and create more mess to clear up.

but there's this waterproof baby pants (that have sizes. can get from many shops that sell baby stuff) that u can get and wear outside if you dun intend to get newborn size.

grumpus

i got your reply. my yahoo mail layout is screw up again! my hubby will contact u and pick up from your void deck either sat or sun. thank you so much once again.

mummies who feed formula

my colleague send me this link. it is run by his fren as a sideline. it contains prices of formula milk at a cheaper price but have to order a minimun quantity.

check out if you are interested.

Chabby: most welcomed.

Whisp: use newborn size. My girl is also 2.8 kg. What we do to minimize the Lobang is stick the adhesive over each other.

Chabby:

The waterproof baby pants you mentioned, is it something like bumwear diaper, or something else? able to get it from kiddy palace?

Tien:

Thanks for your tips, will try that during the next diaper change. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

FM,

Mummies giving formula, do watch out for constipation in your bbs. It causes you and bb quite a bit of distress and the longer you drag it out the more the stool becomes hard n impacted n the harder for bb to pass out. Thks for the tips on resolving constipation...my daughter finally "went" last night. What a relief!

Good morning Mummies,

Wanted to ask how would we know whether bb is feeding enough? I let bb latch on all the time. I tried expressing out while in btw current and next feed but doesn't seemed to have much milk but if I manually squeeze from breast milk does flow out but at slow speed. I feed bb at every 3 hours interval or whenever on demand.

Am having some probs with my CL too. There are some things that I don't like such as she just push open my door and doesn't knock on my room door when she wants to come in. She always asked whether bb finished feeding when I only latched on for 15 min. Really irritate me. Supposed to do 40 days confinement but I want to cut to 30 days but dunno what excuse to give. Anyone has suggestions?

Mag,

If bb has at least 6-8 soaking wet diapers a day and at least 2 substantial poo a day, bb is getting enough. I also weigh my bb every 2 days to ensure she's putting on weight. Bb shd be putting on abt 200-250g a wk so thats abt 30-40g a day.

good afternoon mummies,

just wanted to ask - is anyone's baby suffering from stuffy nose? any idea wat we can do for stuffy nose, other than wait for them to get better ?

thanks

Me me!! My bb has stuffy nose.. Brought him see PD and was prescribed some nose drops.. Then brought to tcm for tuina 3 times already.. I tried 'sun-ing' him daily to 'heat' up his body so tat phlegm can dissolve better... Dunno wat else to do already..

Hi Mummy-to-be!

I have 6 packs of Similac Mum to let go at $10.

Will be giving away the below as free gift:

- 2 pc $3 voucher for purchasing similac mum

- Soothing music for baby in your stomach

- ABC learning CD for your toddler next time

- Sample size nipple cream, stretch mark cream, etc

Take away the above in a nice purple fabric bag!

Contact [email protected]

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5046650.jpg]

hi hoshi,

nose drops ? the saline ones where u drop 1-2 drops and then have to use the aspirator to suck out the wet mucus? is there a lot of mucus when u try to suck it out ? my gal dont seem to hv any mucus (though i am not using the nose drops at the moment) - but u can hear that the breathing is very laboured.. n it's affecting her latching etc etc..

i went pd coupla days back - pd said nothing much can be done for new borns.. just hv to tahan unless it gets very much worse but it shld get better by itself in a wk or so..

My baby also has the stuffy nose problem! Plus phlegm too. He just threw up some sticky stuff. But he is on total breast milk, is it normal? Wanna bring him to the PD but must wait till Monday.. So worrying.

my baby has the same stuffy nose or phlegm-y throat. sometimes i can see its sticky stuff when some milk got out from his mouth...

my mom kept saying its becos i did not heat up the BM that i express less than 4 hrs ago.

whisp

ya. bumwear diaper. can get from kiddy palace. it is supposed to be waterproof. make sure you get the rite size.

Hi mummies,

sorry to disturb your thread but I have a used Quinny Zapp 3 wheeler stroller(red colour) and a Maxi-cosi Cabrio Fix Infant carrier(red colour) to let go at a lower price either as a set or seperately.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi,

Does anyone know if we can take paoshen? I have pao shen powder leftover as i was taking when i was preggy, wondering if can take now. Will it affect milk ss like danggui?

Mag: I'm likely to terminate my CL too. When's ur confinement ending? I intend yo tell her I want to celebrate CNY. Actually standard confinement is 28 days. Ur CL is doing 30?

Sputnik: I intend to only take Chinese herbs only after 12 days. Pao shen shld be ok. The LC only mention danggui. But my gynae did mention tat Chinese herbs can cause jaundice. So better if baby has jaundice better not. If clear already then it is fine.

hmm... i think i will bring my girl back to the pd on monday if the stuffy nose doesnt go away by then. The problem is the stuffy nose is most obvious during the night - and in the day it's not so bad.. so it's quite a different baby tat the pd sees in the day ie not the same squirming and congested worm.. ha!

i think it's not abnormal for baby to have phelgm even though on total breastfeeding - my 1st kid also had quite a bit of phelgm when he was newborn.. my massage lady did some baby massage for him which was supposed to reduce the phelgm - and it seemed to work then.. i didnt question the science of it.. was just happy that baby was happier and more comfortable [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif])

Hi mummies

that time u all mention taking from vits call feu something where to get and is it effective to increase milk supply? My supply dropping [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] and my bb milk intake getting alot

wonder how much are all yr babies taking now? My gal can take up to 90 of bm and 60 fm [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] alot lay

tien - thanks! My 12 days coming up so my CL helping to buy the herbs.

lily - Its fenugreek. I took it and it was effective for me. Can buy from GNC or the BPs in the forum.

Hi mummies, I need to vent out abit..

My hubby have been showing attitudes to me..

My mum this few days was telling him saying that he dun knoe how to take care of me..

Den in the end he show his anger to me n my elder daughter..

U know la.. 2 yrs old dun know about anything ma..

She like to touch things here n there..

Den my hubby will just slap her on her face or leg very hard like hitting a big kid..

I see already I really heart pain lo..

I did tell him nicely not to hit her so hard..

Den he say ok.. But now the same thing come again..

Haiz.. My mum also dun let me bath..

I tahan for 10days already.. Really wan to die Liao..

Think going to go crazy already..

Bm supply also not in.. Pump only 60ml the most from both breast..

Wan to rest but hubby never help to take care of Bb n no. 1..

Haiz.. Really sad.. Cry for few days already..

Hubby say that his head go head wire Liao..

But I think I should be the one go head wire lo..

He at home he only play game n sleep..

I know that he need to rest also because of work..

But at least afternoon let me rest..

This afternoon he sleep from 3 to 6 something..

I didn't have the chance to rest cuz my no. 1 running around the house n nobody take care for me..

Really dun know what to do..

Need to pump, feed Bb n look after the first one..

Really going crazy..

Anyone pls advise what to do..

Fiona: relax! Cool down! Ur Hubby may be overwhelmed with so many things happening in house. Don't give up and talk to him in person when MIL not around as well. Explain that u need his help in confinement and after this one month at least physically u will be better to handle things!

Tell him that if he can't handle newborn at least don't beat the elder one [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] remind him the day u decided to have this new baby! You BM is not so little and if u can rest if will increase soon.

On other side ask MIL to talk to her son separately to make him understand, I m sure things will improve! Pls don't nag him or say bad words cos it will only worsen the situation!

U r good mom n can do everything ! Just relax n don't give up! Good luck [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

fiona: Just hang in there... i think you need to a good shower and a few hrs of nap. i hope that wil make you feel better. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] tk.

Esther: I sure need a good shower n a good hair wash..

Like that den I think I can sleep well..

I feel so dirty n baby want to drink milk I also dun really dare to carry him..

My mum did say tml she will boil the herbs n let me bath..

But for wash hair she like dun wan me to wash like that..

I think if I dun care go wash later sure will quarrel..

fiona,

can u call a good fren who is a mum to come over and babysit #1

ask a relative ()like your siblings) to take #1 for a while.

you are tired. you need rest!

Thanks Sputnik [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi Fiona cheer up and talk to yr hubby nicely and explain yr situation go the soft way know it's hard thou but jiayou! And tAke care [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Thanks Grumpus! Seems like my bb does not have enough cos for the last 2 days he has been waking up almost every hr screaming and crying after I fed him. Now gotta supplement with FM to pacify him

Tien,

How come you are also terminating CL? My problem is that I am doing 40 days! So no matter what I will definitely cross over to CNY furthermore I was only discharged on 17th so today is only my 6th day for confinement. I have to count down to another 34 days which I feel is unbearable. My hubby asked me to think of a reason myself if I want to cut short. Cracking my brain but I still can't come up with excuse.

Fiona,

Try to hang in there and sort things out with hubby. Maybe you can suggest to him to take care of the elder one on weekend.

Mummies,

Which bank do u use for bb's bonus account? Stan chart or Ocbc? Which one is better?

Hi congrats to all mummies who have given birth or awaiting to give birth. I have also just gave birth recently but my confinement lady asked why i buy so many rice wine haha, hence I have 6 bottles of extra homemade delicious rice wine to let go as I bought too many. It's made by my friend's Aunty. I bought at $12 each but m ok to let go at $10 each. If take all 6 I m ok to let go at $58. Those mummies not yet buy if u r keen to take my extras.

Collection point is only at SEMBAWANG though, please pm me if you are keen thanks!

I can't wait for confinement to be over!! Another 5 more days and I can wash my hair!! It's super oily now.. And I always bundle up my hair.. As for bathing.. I can't wait and depend on my mil's mood to boil the da feng cao for bathing.. I bought the lemon grass shower gel from BP and will bathe every 2-3days.. Otherwise really can't stand it..

Why must do confinement for 40days??

I will do it until baby full month, then everything back as per normal, just avoid seafood and cold drinks for 3 months..

Fiona: Can understand how you feel. But as mummies, we have to be strong. How many days are you in your confinement? Tell your mum that on 12th day, can wash hair already. This is from experienced confinement ladies. Actually if your mum can, ask her to cook the herb bath everyday. I bath everyday with it. I even use soap and use the herb bath to rinse. As for your hubby, I guess he could be really stressed at work. Like what chabby has suggested, it will be good if someone can help you to babysit her. It really helps a lot. If MIL can help, get her to as well. Jia you!

Mag: Just tell your CL that you have decided to do 28 days lor. Simple as that. Tell her that you want to do some visiting and if you do 40 days, all 15 days will be over.

I am thinking of sacking her because she is quite lazy and lacks initiative and very fond of passing the baby to me to latch without even checking diaper etc. Also, she doesn't handwash my clothes. She uses the washing machine. And my biggest complaint, TV addict. Hahaha...like now...she is watching the series I am watching. She can just sit in living room and wait for me to on tv...hahha...but hor she is showing some initiative these two days. Think she is sensing something. She actually swept the floor today hahahha....anyway hb figure that I still get to sleep and rest. Just continue until next week and see how. Just need to give her more instructions.

As for bank account, ocbc is better. They have more branches. So we chose it for convenience sake.

Hoshi: Apparently real confinement is 40 days. My mum already warned me that I have to be on confinement diet for another 12 days. But I think for #1, I always get hb to sneak in food for me after 28 days.

confinement diet,

MIL has started to allow me to eat non confinement stuff as long as not cooling or 'poisonous'. Am on 19th day. Think it really depends on your CL.

chinese herbs,

saw some discussion on how some chinese herbs may reduce bm according to gynaes etc. Which type of herbs are you ladies referring to? I drink all kinds of stuff boiled by mil...hope this is not the reason why my bm ss so low.

Re: cinch wrap

Mummies using the cinch wrap, can check whether u wear it very tightly?? I just unwrapped my Malay massage cloth binder, so now wear the cinch wrap. But I find the cinch wrap not very 'tight'.. Is it meant to be tis way?? Thanks.

Just for sharing, beside red date water, my CL cook brown rice water for me. She say it is good to help for water retention.

She will stir fried the brown rice then later add water to cook.

Hoshi,

i picked OCBC due to convenience and sunday banking. same reason as Tien. No bad la. 5 more days! Jia you.

must avoid seafood and cold stuff for 3 months ah?? sigh~ i was still looking fwd to macdonald meal w coke during CNY when i complete 1 full month. was even eyeing on V'day meal as hubby usually bring me out for buffet. since it's swee swee the 41st day from D-day. so confinement is officially over. but now got a kid, dunno still have v'day meal a not.. hmmm

Sunny beach.

2nd week shld be 2-3oz. 3.5-4oz os too much for 9 days. also it's dependant on birth weight. if yours it a big baby, it'll need more. just trial and error 2-3 feed and you'll know.

lily

it's Fenugreek pills. it's a herbal supplement that is supposed to help increase BM supply. it cost 29.50 g\from GNC, 100 capsules. take 2-3 capsules, 3 times daily.

my cha siew pau take in a range of 100ml-120ml (3-4oz) per feed. each feed at around 3hr interval.

grumpus

thank you for the Friso 1 once again.

mrs loh

it is said that the rice wine helps w water retention also. red dates tea can help increase BM supply also. that's what the LC at glen-e says. so add red dates into your soup if you want.

ocbc vs standard chartered,

SC also has sunday banking n it has almost no queue all the time. Was very drawn to SC but in the end decided on ocbc in case SC moves out of woodlands civic centre, in which case I have to travel to god knows where to do bb banking.

chabby,

the programme sounds promising...very regimental...I like! haha

How long does your bb sleep for at night? I realise if I stuff mine with enough milk around 11pm she can last till 3 or 4am. But if she takes her last feed too early, like 10pm, then I am up for a 1am feed.

luckymummy

i dun dare stuff my baby too much as he has the tendency to puke.

so i'll carry him for 15-30min before puttin him back to bed. i tried sticking to 3hr feed as much as possible.

he is also rather punctual in getting his 3hr feed. but he is cranky at nite. keep fussing. =(

thanks chabby for yr reply!! so nice yr confinmt be over soon. my CL gave 3.5oz but he finish all

i was wondering if it is ok!

btw wat does yr CL cooks for u for lunch rice n dishes too?

thanks!!

Hoshi,

I'm religiously using the cinch wrap everyday. It can be very tight if u adjust it well. You must first adjust the inner Velcro matching yr waist size, zip up and ask yr hubby to use his strength to reach the other 2 big Velcros as far back as possible.

I use ocbc bank too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hey thanks chabby for the blog but wonder I hav the determination or not u starting at week 4? I was thinking mayb I try at week 5[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back