(2010/11) November 2010 MTB

Hi jolyn,

I give gripe water mixed in plain water after bath.

Other times I give a bit of water before feeding ebm. I prefer this way cos my bb is heaty due to the confinement food I take and also to train him to accept plain water. My no1 doesn't like plain water until now cos we didn't give him plain water when he was an infant. So suspect it was becos we never introduce early so now for no2 I decided to give alittle to get him used to the water.

Hi orangebb,

Usually after latching I will pump like 30 mins to an hr later. I do not pump immediately cos nipples may be sore. Before and after pumping I will drink a glass of warm fluid.

Hi mummies,

i just bought 900g Enfalac A+ AR (Anti -reflux)yesterday .

however my baby is rejecting the milk.I only used a it for 3 feeds(4 scoops).

Pls pm me if u would like to buy it from me.It is retailing at $43+.

Hi Bam,

I oso taking fenugreek. May i know how many capsules u take per day?

Hi mommies,

I suspect my bb having reflux, how to identify n what can be done? Cos she has problem swallow the milk while bottle fed.

Thanks Chris

Am surrending to my bb alr, will get one to stand by when CL goes back come Monday [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Dread it. We suspect it may also be due to he's a big eater. He is now drinking 150ml. Soon, hv to increase again. Keep wanting to drink [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

ahko80: sometimes i take 2 caps per day.

sometimes i take 4 caps per day.. depends if i remember to take. LOL.. I am not a medicine person...

Hi Bam,

I check with LC that fenugreek should take like 3 capsules 3 times per day or 2 capsules 4 times per day. i'm trying eating that manner, see if really helps.

Ahko88: I give my bb warm water too. It's usually after his short naps especially if feeding time is not up. I try to 'cheat' him by giving a few sips to stretch the feeding intervals. I also heard from my Cl that she previously had one case where the toddler didn't want water cuz he was never fed with water when young. The grandparents had to either give him glucose water or boil the water with fruits like apple so that it's flavored. I read that there's no need to give water if Tbf but I'm doing partial and also realized baby has rashes on-off on his face. Cl said it's possibly due to the heath food that I take.

hi all mummies, need some advise..can pls help..

had went for pap smear test after my delivery and was detected to still have varginal infection and having discharge and feeling itchy too..so gynae had prescriped the medicine for insert..but i no idea how to insert with the given "finger stall". can anyone advise?? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

also any idea when we can start eating seafoods, like prawns, crabs after our delivery? 100 days after delivery? i've been having craving for them leh...wanna go have a feast with hubby to pamper myself abit but dun noe when can eat those seafoods leh [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi mummies,

bb just vomitted all of her 8pm feed..never seen her spit up so much before, think it was prob all of her feed..i thought she would stop herself fr eating once she's full (since she's latched on directly)..any mummies had similar issues? my little one latched on for only a short while at 7 (5 mins or so), so i let her BF again at about 8..8pm feed she threw up, so when do i feed her again? am putting her to sleep now already (she's suckin on pacifier)

Hello mummies, juz gotten feedback frm pple whom I have given the full mth fruit/cream tarts frm ecreative tat it's veri hard... Not so good..

Hopefully my guest on tis coming sat won't feedback tat angeli Buffet is no good too..

Clover: i doubt i can handle a pump w baby now. Currently i'm still tilting my body forward when pump so that milk wont backflow n get wasted. I'm using medela swing. Is it like that when milk flow is slow?

Strawberry: but my bb will wake up in less than 3hr mostly n wans to eat. I scared pump liao bb wake up when latch on nothing much to drink....

lilyn> same thing happen to my bb. Pd sy if merlion, means overfd. I hv the same qn. Direct latch shld b able to fd on demand? LC sy by rt is yes, bt for my case, the flow mayb too fast for bb to swallow n cos bb is sleepy while latch, the milk get trap in his throat n nvr swallow. So whn we move him, he wil merlion. Nt sure if urs the same. Hw old is ur bb alrdy?

mummies, I have decided to check myself into Mt A at midnight tonite to induce. Pray that the process with be fast and positive an experience for me [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Rashes driving me crazy and today is my EDD so just do it!!!

Orangebb, I did tandem pumping for my no 1 but only for a few weeks. I use hard pillow for back support.

Eh u r not a milk cow, so can't expect milk to gush out fast n furious. Hehe. Only when let down happens, then milk flow (into to bottle) will be faster. The body produces milk as bb suckles n pump doesn't really empty out the breast.

Lilyn, maybe she has air in her stomach. let her wake up herself? Or if u r on a schedule then wait till nearer to the next feed then wake her up

Hi Chris n lilyn, my bb is 1mth n 3 wks old now. When I fed her regardless is bottle fed or direct latch, at certain pt when feeding the milk get trap in her throat n din swallow. I suspect she having reflux. PD said she has too much wind in her tummy. So after every feed, will burp her till gas is out. Make her sit upright longer, so that the milk dun spill out so much. Not sure if urs are the same. Oso can try to feed her in smaller feed.

She has this symtom since last week. I hope she can get over it soon.

Cherrie77: so far i din feed her with water at all. I use warm water to wipe her face n buttock. Frequent wipes on her face will help to reduce her milk rashes. Dun worry abt the rashes, will go off very soon. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Feeding water to baby,

My bb is only 7 days old, my aunt and the CL say must let bb drink some water despite I tbf bb.. I don't mind they give abit but the CL like always wan. To give leh.. This evening gave twice already, once was because bb having hiccups.. Does giving bb water too early affects anything? Thanks all

Orangebb,

I rem u mentioned that u stand up n pump for 2 hours.. Please try not to do that at this period.. As our womb is recovering, try to sit or lie down more to let it recover.. Don't stand too much..

PD,

So after the 1st visit, we can change to other pd right? My hubby's friend introduce one in KK.. Say that he's good n cheap.. What are the Avg price range? Thanks

Hammiebao: i pump for an hr each time. But i find that my breast still not soft compare to latching bb or hand express by nanny. No wonder i yield little ebm coz all still in my breast.

Now i look for bb not bb look for me

Orangebb, bb is the best thing to get rid of harden breast! Today I keep forgetting which side I fed bb with, then I latch on a few times on the right, n my left ended up so hard! I feel better now after latching bb on my left.. But still got. Abit hard, think bb cannot empty my breast.. Had my massage today and ML suggest me to pump out after feed to prevent the lumps in breast.. I got quite a few lumps.. It was so pain when ML massage it..

Supper,

For those mummies who BF at night, do u all feel hungry? What u all eat at night? These 2 days I feel hungry at around this hour but I paiseh to wake CL to cook.. I don't wanna eat too heavy too.. And I had Milo around 10pm..

Re: feeding bf bb with water

Found the following article regarding giving water to breast fed bb..

Communicating the Message “Don’t Give Water”

The following messages have been used in programs to convince mothers, their families, and health workers that exclusively breastfed infants do not need to be given water in the first six months. The most effective ways of communicating the messages depend on the audience and the practices, beliefs, concerns, and constraints to good practices in a particular setting.

Make clear the meaning of exclusive breastfeeding

Exclusive breastfeeding means giving only breastmilk. This means no water, liquids, teas, herbal preparations, or foods through the first six months of life. (It is important to name the drinks and foods commonly given in the first six months. One program found that women did not think the advice “do not give water” applied to herbal teas or other fluids.)

Take ideas often associated with water and apply them to colostrum

Colostrum is the welcoming food for newborns. It is also the first immunization, protecting a baby from illness.

Colostrum cleans the newborn’s stomach. Sugar water is not needed.

Explain why exclusively breastfed babies do not need water

Breastmilk is 88 percent water.

Every time a mother breastfeeds, she gives her baby water through her breastmilk.

Breastmilk has everything a baby needs to quench thirst and satisfy hunger. It is the best possible food and drink that can be offered a baby so the baby will grow to be strong and healthy.

Point out the risks of giving water

Giving water to babies can be harmful and cause diarrhea and illness. Breastmilk is clean and pure and protects against disease.

An infant’s stomach is small. When the baby drinks water, there is less room left for the nourishing breastmilk that is necessary for the infant to grow strong and healthy.

Link good breastfeeding practices to adequate fluid intake

When a mother thinks her baby is thirsty, she should breastfeed immediately. This will give the baby all the water that is needed.

The more often a woman breastfeeds, the more breastmilk is produced, which means more water for the baby.

Hammiebao: yes bb is the best! Hehe!

Ya, to cleAr the lumps so painful n difficult massage off at times. Btw, I'll eat bread n milo when hungry.

Any mummies using pigeon stereliser? I Notice that the bottom of the steriser (metal thing) has round shape water marks? How do i clean that? I tried to wipe but it doesnt go off. Aby mummies havinv this issue?

Orangebb: use a lemon, squeeze some juice on the blackened metal n let it soaked for awhile then clean with a pcs of cloth n water. It will go away.

Surf: try researching online on la leche league on milk blisters? Mayb more info there

hammie: no water for my bb! my #1 only started having water at 6 months as he was tbf n he's got no issues w drinking lots of water Now at age 3!

hammie: my bb oso hiccups, but we let her hiccup till she stops or ask for milk. heard from CL that is good for her to hiccup, let the air out.

my bb merlion again. Haiz, i hv no idea wat i shld do nw to prevent tis. Last fd of 70ml at 4am. Bb cry n i latch him at 6.35am. Suck for abt 15-20mins n he merlion. Dont knw hw. Cl suggest i pump b4 latch cos bb cant tell he is full n my flow too fast for him. Or jus bottle fd w ebm so we knw hw much he is gettin. Anyone cn adv?

Is confinement 28 days or 30 days? It's my 29th day of eating confinement food -- I have been eating since I was at the hospital. Mum and mil brought food for me. Trying to 'negotiate' with hubby to go out today.

hammie >> I also feel hungry after feeding baby. :p

feeding water >> I tried to feed water but she refused to drink. good for her?

btw, can u share PD at KK? thanks a lot.

Chris issit becoz ya bb hv shallow tummy? My #1 was lidat.. Regurgitate alot & frequent! I brought him to PD hr say maybe he shallow tummy so we feed him less but frequent meals.

Cherrie, my confinement 28, some 30 some even 40 days.. Dependg de... Remb if u r breastfeedg even eatg outside food gotta b careful of ya intake eh .. Ytr MIL & CL lecture me.. Don think coz confinement over anyhw eat hor. :p

my massage lady advised me to continue eating confinement food till my body can't take it (i.e. sore throat etc). she says then we'll know when body has changed. if not, actually maybe body still cannot take cooling stuff but coz it's past 28 days we just take...can affect our bodies. not every body will auto "switch" back to normal immed after 28 days...

it's day 28 and i'm itching for cold drink...too bad yesterday was the starbucks free drink day (just make donation)...boo...

Csi: my mum and mil asked me to continue confinement food till the 40th day! Mil said she will cook and bring over for me everyday! Faint. My mum also instructed me not to take all the food for baby's first month on Sunday. I dunno how to survive Sunday especially with all the cakes and pastries! Surely will drool.

cherrie, my mum also told me not to eat the food at my party tmrw! told me to get the CL to cook lunch for me and i'm supposed to eat first before going to the venue...with #1, i ate confinement food till day 30-something (except during her 1st mth party). haha...

Cherrie / csi - my mom say can eat the food at the full

Mth, then I drank pink guava also oops too hot that day some more so thirsty.

Aiyo so my mum is not alone in her thinking! Ginger on cupcake? I really long for a cold drink. My hubby agreed to let me go out today. I told him I wanna buy a new dress for full month. Yeah! Ion here I come! But gotta bring out red date tea in my thermal flask. Like primary school kid like that.

Urgh my MIL piss me off! Its v nice of her to help us do marketing but... I don know la.

2days ago she commented the pigeon wide neck nipple too hard. She even bring it to the mall. When she came back shd told me she was trying to find a softer nipple. I told her HAR don need, bb is fine using it. Moreover hubby just bought 4 of the bottle fr pharmacy. Then she keep saying n don know wat she tell my FIL, my FIL say buy another whole new brand set. I was like HAR for wat???!!! I think i told her don know how many times.

Then tdy when she came w the mArketing stuff, she commented on the pigeon nipple again. N i told her 3 time

don need. Bb is FINE using it!!!

Next, she wan to learn how to shower bb fr nanny. Ok. So help bb bath. Then bb got poo poo mar. So nanny quickly go n take facial cotton ask her to wipe bb butt. But not enough, then while nanny go room to take cotton, she clean bb butt w water n WITH the bath cloth n put it back to BB bathtub. The bath cloth is used to clean bb hair n tongue lor!!! My eyes widen big big!! I try to ren. Nanny ask butt clean a not she say ya clean liao. Then next was put bb into bathtub n as she clean bb i saw got particles in the bathtub lor. I think its shit. I keep saying loudly bathtub got shit. Dirty already lets change water. Don know how many bloody time. N MIL say nvm. Ok one. Even nanny shake head. N i keep saying dirty got shit. N she still say ok n put bb into towel. Nanny took over n clean bb under the tap again. Wslau eh! I thought she very clean one how come like that.

During my first 2days at home, i used pigeon wipe n then followed by wet cotton ball to clean bb poo. Then MIL went to buy a pail say to clean bb butt when he poo. I thought its good idea. But later i realise that once rinse the water is dirty wat, then she re-rinse using the same water on bb butt!! So dirty. I told her don wan this method liao. Then that day when nanny clean bb poo, she still bring the pail to her. N nanny say don wan.

N she piss me off today when she open my bedroom door. I hate it. I was sleeping. No wonder i not enuf rest initially. Bo tai bo qi open the door to tok to me. I don wan to tok yo her i wan to sleeep! I don wan to eat bread im not hungry i wan to sleep!!! Cant she tok to the bloody wall outside!! She can tok to the toilet bowl if she want! ANGRY!!!!

Now i SERIOUSLY doubt whether to let her take care of bb when he is 2yrs old.

Jollymummy,

Urs was a very detailed birth story! I only vaguely rem the key timing and events, and how many cm I've dilated coz that's the limiting factor! I din even have a proper pic of bb after he was born. Got a few shots but most of them were blur as hb had shaky hands when taking those pics!

For the 32hrs labor, u started counting from start of contractions, is it? According to Dr Lai, >30hrs of labor is quite standard for 1st vaginal birth. Mine was 35hrs. So mummies who have progressed much faster than this must be very, very fortunate and blessed!

I must complain that as compared to u, I was totally deprived of food while in the delivery suite, even though it was written in the admission letter that light F&B can be allowed if desired! So in the end I was sOooOo hungry n thirsty I sipped a few mouthfuls of milo without the nurse's knowledge.

And u're really well-prepared for this delivery! Did your research and everything. Salute!

Have a restful confinement and I hope to catch up with you again!

Hi mummies

Didnt log in for quite some time.. The thread is moving so fast. Can chk w u mummies, now it s my week 6 but My lochia is still there, is it norm? How to know if it menses? My wound still abit pain. Is it norm?

Supposed to go for chkup with gynae 2mrw but lochia still not

clear, should i postpone or go ahead w chkup ?

Thanks

gals, i m breakin dwn. Its so stressful to b a responsible mum. Try as much as i cld, i hv bn tearin since day 1. Nothing seems to b rt. Bb eyes virus is still ther since more than a wk ago, eye drop doesnt seem to hlp much. Bb havnt bn able to slp well since day 1 arrival of new cl. Bb kp wantin to latch bt will merlion whn overfd. Cl wan2 giv pacifier, hubby saw last nite. He removes it n carry bb n bb manage to slp aftr awhile. So hubby gt quite mad n sy nt to giv pacifier, bb stil small. Bt bb havnt slp since 12noon! Wat shld i do? C bb cry i heart pain. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] tearing myself too.

chris ...dun breakdown...relax..else PND will knock on your door...

did you burp BB after meal and is he sleeping in aircon room or did you on the fan...sometime these can affect their sleep as for the eye drop if you think it is not wrong..go back to the PD and ask for alternative medicine

orangebb you too relax...maybe you want to tell your MIL nicely why the way she doing is not right etc

Chris, u have to relax urself! U cry bb can feel it.. I experience before, 1 night I feel very down n I cried even during latch on.. Bb don't seems to feel full.. That night latched more frequent.. Eveything will be fine, ask hubby tell CL that no pacifier allowed.. I told my CL that.. Cheer up.. Bb will recover soon!!

Orangebb, can really see u very angry with ur MIL.. Haha.. Relax relax.. Does ur hubby know about all these? Ask him to talk to her? Shut ur eyes filter her!! Haha

Taking care of bb really not easy I hardly can find time to pump milk sianZ. Bb haven really sleep since morning on off kept waking up

hi all mummies, need some advise..can pls help..

had went for pap smear test after my delivery and was detected to still have varginal infection and having discharge and feeling itchy too..so gynae had prescriped the medicine for insert..but i no idea how to insert with the given "finger stall". can anyone advise??

also any idea when we can start eating seafoods, like prawns, crabs after our delivery? 100 days after delivery? i've been having craving for them leh...wanna go have a feast with hubby to pamper myself abit but dun noe when can eat those seafoods leh

OranGeBB,

Gosh u sound real mad. Cool down cool down.

I almost went berserk too when my ILs just went in and out of my bedroom as they wish during my 1st confinement. Even my own mum pissed me off sometimes (she helped me with my confinement) coz she's also the type tat is not very particular abt hygiene. But, not as bad as ur MIL, i guess =S

I seriously think u shld STOP ur MIL from doin what's wrong, or simply what u dislike. Make it clear that u're the MOTHER n u shld have the right to decide what's best for ur bb.

The older generation likes to impose what they know, or what they used to do for their own children, on us. Sometimes they are just too overboard with it. Nowadays information are so abundant and easily available, and it's easy to verify if what these old folks do are right or wrong. Point them to the right information u must. You may offend them in the process, but it's better than enduring it and make urself angry. And if u're goin to stay with each other for a while, it is still a better long term solution.

For me it took quite a while for my ILs to finally understand what I want and don't want, and now with #2 around, they don't bother with me so much anymore and I'm at ease with that.

Just sharing the thoughts from my own experience. Hope u'll find a balancing point with ur ILs too.

Chris> initially i also do not like the idea of giving pacifier, however sometimes its not feeding time yet & bb seems wanting to suck for comfort or we like to drag the feeding time gap longer abit, we try to give pacifier awhile, actually bb dont suck for very long, it always drop out after a while.

Chris: did u call the doc to ask abt the eye infection since it doesn't seem to work with the eye drops? Or seek second opinion? Don't cry. We are all trying our best. I also cried a few times the past few weeks --- when first Cl left, when maid was coughing and having flu and just a few nights back at 4am after pumping cuz I missed being pregnant and thought how nice to be pregnant than coping with motherhood. Felt so guilty with my thoughts that I sobbed while hubby was asleep. I think there are two groups when it comes to pacifier. Personally I'm not for it cuz I didn't grow up with it but my cl and mil both suggested it a few times. I totally ignored them and said I prefer not to start baby on it but seriously when Cl leaves I dunno if I will cave in and give bb the pacifier. I think you or your hubby just gotta be firm with our caregiver whether it's mother/mil/Cl. My mil also asked if I wanna get a Yao Lan or rocker. She seems v enthusiastic about taking care of my baby now that he's out. I'm abit half hearted with her as main and only caregiver, reason being she has never taken care of hubby or his siblings (they were also taken care of by nannies), she has a job now (if we ask her to quit now we can't reverse the decision later if we decide to opt for nanny/infant care/even childcare in future. Haiz v headache. The merlion part --- perhaps maybe can bring bb to pd with hubby tomorrow since it's Saturday? At least have peace of mind?

Back