(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

Loca: I tot something's wrong w bb. Guess it's normal?

Today my boy has been acting strange. Sleeps solid 2-3 hrs but only finishes half of all his feeds then starts wailing then falls asleep wen I comfort him... Anyone have any idea wat could be wrong??

teoong,

You have teats with larger hole? If not try poking another hole in the teat or enlarge the existing hole and see how Athena takes it. Same thing with Jadelyn last week. After enlarging the hole a bit, she's more comfortable drinking and drinks faster also. Otherwise will make all sorts of frustrated sounds and clench her fists while drinking.

Teoong/ Jac

I have same problem as Ivy.. My boy also takes 45 mins - 1 hour to finish his milk. If i assume teats' hole too small also cannot.. cos when he drinks, milk will flow out from the mouth sometimes.. so I also duno if I should change to a teat with bigger hole.. but I disposed the latex one and bought new silicon ones though...

Stella

I have same problem as you... I duno what's wrong with my boy also!!! hais.. right now my MIL and Hb is comforting him. Let him drink milk cos he hungry he also cry... comfort him liao he will fall asleep.. and let him drink milk he will cry.. dont let him drink also cry... he seems to be like very angry over something.. cos he keeps kicking and punching his hands around and wails like he is very angry... I really duno whats wrong.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

right now, if people dont carry him to sleep. he will fuss.. if he is not in deep sleep and we put him down, he gonna wake up and cry... must wait until he sleep till shiok then can put him down....

sometimes i just don wanna carry him and let him fuss for a while also cannot cos his cries are like deafening!!! he cry until he tears all flow out like so poor thing also....

aiyo.. what is wrong? Are your babies like that too?

he keeps like throwing tantrums once evenings comes... in the day he will be ok at times.. like having mood swings [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Ytd he did not poo.. and today when he poo... initial poo was like greenish/black... den slowly towards the end became yellowish... i was quite worried initially cos my mother tell me people say baby have green poo means they were "shocked" before.. but since in the end his poo was yellowish, i thought it was ok... Any concern for this? Is he throwing tantrums cos he was "shocked"???

I already tried turn on aircon, pacifier, change diapers, put ruyi oil, caryy and rock him... he will settle a while and then cry again.... I even tried giving him extra milk even though not his feeding time yet..

What else can I do?

Cyn

oh yah! could u kindly email me the instructions for the MIM sling too??? cos mine also hand me down... I think if all else fails I need to try ur method and put my boy into the sling...

Sorry mummies and daddy... need to rant a bit cos really stressful at times when I duno what to do when Aedan cries and cries... Is this just a passing phase or it will last?? If my mum did not come and help me today and let me nap.. i think i would have gone "crazy"... My mother say my face so pale ... sometimes I wonder how some of you still look so good and radiant after birth and taking care of baby... I feel so "auntie-ish" and like so "chui" at times... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

but of cos.. anything for the sake of my boy lah... so i must jia you lor

Shin, sorry i kpo abit here. I'm from sept thread but since I see yr post, thought I share with u

I think yr bb is experiencing colic. In discomfort certain hours of day and crying uncontrollbly.

Think he feeling uncomfy in stomach due to gassy stomach. Too much wind. Massage using Ru Yo oil from top to bottom of tummy ( so that can fart out)

how many months is yr bb?

can also get Ridwind from pharmacy. 5 ml each time with milk feed.

shin,

I know what u mean. Can empathize with u 'cos went thru the same things also. From the way u describe, really sound like gassy stomach or colic. I am giving Jadelyn ridwind (0.5ml for first morning feed and another 0.5ml for the last evening feed) also. She's a lot better now. Perhaps u can try this and see how?? And don't worry.. This is a phase most babies go thru. Remember the 100 days? I am counting down!! I'm sure Aedan will soon be a happy, cheerful boy once this difficult infant stage passes. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

shin,

i also want to scream already. the WHOLE day he like cannot sleep properly! put him down only cry, end up carry him whole day. cant even eat or go toilet!! and i m home alone.....i was just thinking the past few days he has a good routine. argh

Ian, Cyn, thk u for yr feedback on freestyle. Contemplating still to get a new one.. Using avent manual after medela break down. Take long time and very not motivated to exercise my finger muscle to pump haha

tinkerstars/jac

Thanks for sharing [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

He's experiencing colic?? But I apply ruyi oil everyday and he farts super a lot the whole day.. He always farts... So isit still colic? On the other hand, he doesn't burp much these few days...

Jac

Yah I am counting down too.. On days when he's a good boy, I thought "phew.. Finally he's in a good routine..."

But on some days he fuss a lot and gets cranky and startles very easily while sleeping... So poor thing [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Loca

I was home alone too until my mum came to help.. She worried I cannot handle alone due to lack of sleep..

re:ridwind

I think I will go get it from pharmacy and try it out..

How long do I have to keep feeding him with ridwind??

I just went to research and it does seem like he's experiencing colic cos his crying usually starts abt 6pm.. But quietens when we comfort and for no reason will cry again.. Hope ridwind helps [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

I brought my boy for hep B ject and he was so cranky for 2 days, gave me a merlion vomit in the night and split out 20 ml of milk the next day too. He only wanted to be carried and walked around or put him in a rocker and rocked him continuously. And this continued all the way from 8 am til 11 pm when he finally fell asleep after his feed. Hopefully today will be a better day.

destitonia,

if you plan to bf for long, should invest in freestyle. save time and pain.

Loca,

Try to get someone to help you if possible. My bb also don't want to sleep whole day. put him on the bed, he will wake up. so i put him on net bouncer and he sleeps well. When i put him on stroller and push him around, he sleeps well too. guess you need to try different method to understand his pattern. think most babies do not like to lie flat on bed cos their back may feel warm. Jia You. you are not alone. I also alone at home. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

shin,

For ridwind, can stop anytime. So just give him until u see improvement then slowly stop giving. Anyway for colic, by 3rd or 4th month it will go away le. Hang in there.

elle,

My baby was also cranky for a few days after the Hep B jab. Dunno if it was merely coincidence or really due to the jab. Just gotta give more TLC.. Hope he's better today. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Baby just tortured me for 2 hours after his feed! I hope he wun wake up soon for his 3rd feed. I gg to flip liao. Dead tired.

jac

Thank you!![IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Re:jab

Aedan has to take his jab next month. Wah, if he turns cranky too.. I wonder how bad it's gonna get.. Pray that it will be ok for him [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Just finished feeding my boy and so irritated with ants at my house.. The other time my boy vomit on the sofa I always sit to feed him.. No matter how many times I clean with dettol, there's still ants somehow and just now they crawled onto Aedan!!! Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!! I kept checking him to see no more ants on him then I put him to sleep... So worried if it crawls into his ear or what... Ok, this is so random but I'm so irritated.. Even with the ants poison they can't seem to be destroyed!

Morning mommies!

Mommies who bought the beansprout pillows, when do u use it on baby? Jus for naps or Can i place it on baby when she sleeps at night unsupervised? As my baby grows she hates to b swaddled n insead of getting a gd nite sleep, she struggles all nite to get out of it. She sleeps well on tummy but i dare not put her like dat in her cot unsupervised.

Re: slings

Im using a ellaroo sarong sling bought from babyslingsandcarriers.com. Baby always sleep when i put her in itso i wear her at home while doing work n i know its against e law.. Hehe but i put her in the sling while we r in e car coz she struggles n cry her heqd off everytime we put her in car seat. I bought e beco carrier initially but realised babys back is not strong enuf to put her in carrier. In sarong slings shes in a cradle position but when u 1st slide baby into e sling baby must b in a sitting position wif legs crossed.

Btw mommies.. R ur baby legs still curved in?? I try go massage babys legs to b straight but still look curved in ley

Zuen, Jac and Shin - You've got mail!

Jac, i only drink coffee right after i express out the BM. But there were occassions i drink half to one hour before i pump but there's no sign that it will make the baby wide awake and do not want to sleep. I read somewhere that if u drink coffee moderately, it will not affect the baby...

Shin: Jia you ya... i know just how frustrating taking care of baby alone can be. You're lucky u still get to nap sometimes, most days i dun get to nap at all. Got to wait till hubby is back from work than i will quickly go to bed at 8 plus and sleep for a solid 1-2 hours before baby wakes up and want to feed. My hubby is not as supportive like some of the mummies's husband here. But at least he will wake up once to help me with the feeding so i can get another half an hour to 1 hour of solid sleep. There was one day he make me super pissed off, i just pack my things, went out and left him alone with baby. He did'nt even ask me where am i going or apologise to me lor. Only wait till nearly evening time when he is super tired from taking care of baby than ask me to come home. It was only then he realise how much stress and how tired it can get from taking care of a super cranky baby who demands attention all the time. So right now when i tell him not to do certain things, he will more or less listen to me.

Like when i successfully train baby on his night routine, i have to constantly remind him not to do certain things like talking loudly in the room, bringing him out the room during feeding as this will upset his routine since he is used to that environment.

One thing i did was also to put baby in a sleeping bag at night so he will slowly recognise that it is time to sleep.Usually i need to spend about 10-15 minutes singing lullabies or telling him stories and he will automatically fall asleep. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Helping your baby sleep through the night: 8 simple strategies

1. Keep to a routine. If your baby wakes up late in the morning to help make up for some of his late nights, begin waking him at an earlier time each day to help encourage him to get the sleep he needs at night -- when the rest of the household sleeps.

2. When your baby naps, allow him to sleep in a well-lit area. This will help encourage shorter naps, which in turn may help him sleep better at night.

3. During the day, nurse in a quiet, darkened room. You mentioned that your son isn't very interested in daytime feeds. Babies of this age are often caught up in what is going on around them. Feeding him more during the day will allow him to meet his nutritional needs at a time more convenient to you.

4. Is your baby using a pacifier? If so, allow him to meet his sucking needs at your breast instead, offering nursing in lieu of the pacifier. Regular nursing sessions during the day may help to reduce his middle of the night waking.

5. When nursing, allow your baby to finish the first breast offered. This will provide him with more of your rich hindmilk, which may also help to space out his nighttime feeds.

6. Carry your baby -- with the aid of a sling or other baby carrier. This will help to keep your baby relaxed, especially during the early evening hours, encouraging an easy transition to sleep.

7. Keep the evening calm to avoid overstimulation. If a bath is relaxing for your little one, you can bathe him before bed. If it's too stimulating, bathe him at another time.

8. Nurse in a darkened room at night if your son wakes and wants to feed. Avoid nighttime diaper changes if at all possible. Let him know that night is for sleeping.

i dont know how well this will work, but no harm trying :p

Ian: Thanks for the information on how to help baby sleep through the night!

No la, i tell him the same story everynight - 3 little pigs cos i am a super bad storyteller. Got to invest money buy more books liao!

Help Your Baby Distinguish Day from Night

A newborn baby sleeps about sixteen to eighteen hours per day and this sleep is distributed evenly over six toseven brief sleep periods. You can help your baby distinguish between nighttime

and daytime sleep, and thus help him sleep longer periods at night.

Begin by having your baby take his daytime naps in a lit room where he can hear the noises of the day, perhaps a bassinet or cradle located in the main area of your home. Make nighttime sleep dark and quiet. This means no talking, singing, or lights in the middle of the night. If your home is noisy after baby’s bedtime, use white noise to cover up the sounds of the family. White noise can be soft background music, the hum of a heater or fan(safety precautions taken), or any other steady sound. You can even purchase small clock radios with white-noise functions(they sound like spring rain or a babbling brook), or cassette tapes with quiet nature sounds or even sounds from the womb.

You can also help your baby differentiate day naps from night sleep by using a nightly bath and a change into pajamas to signal the difference between the two.

Keep your nighttime feedings quiet and mellow. There’s no need to talk or sing to your little one in the middle of the night;save all that for daytime.

Shin: my boy jus started this pattern ytd. Whole daybdun drink much, sleep alot but drink cry, slp cry, wake cry. Suddenly like that. Last night he climaxed n screamed himself to slp. His screams so high pitched like he's in pain but I can't tell where. Tried e oil, been giving him ridwind still like that. Today round 2 reject bottle n reject breast. Dun wana be carried horizontally must carry him upright. Jus fell asleep. I really dunno how. Babies w colic wil cry whole day n night?

Shin: my boy jus started this pattern ytd. Whole daybdun drink much, sleep alot but drink cry, slp cry, wake cry. Suddenly like that. Last night he climaxed n screamed himself to slp. His screams so high pitched like he's in pain but I can't tell where. Tried e oil, been giving him ridwind still like that. Today round 2 reject bottle n reject breast. Dun wana be carried horizontally must carry him upright. Jus fell asleep. I really dunno how. Babies w colic wil cry whole day n night?

Hi I'm from the nov thread. Can any mummies recommend your confinement nanny if she's good? Need one urgently. Can pm me too. Thanks.

Morning mummies n daddy..

Stella,

my boy hs been cranky too these past week when my pil is here. Dunni whether really change of environment n he misses my mom or what.

Tried everything too. He likes to be carried upright too! will cry if carry him horizontally. Hhhh...

N i realise that it is not the gas in stomach that cause the crankiness anymore.... He farts n poos n burps regularly now, with no pain.

Salivating,

my son also has been salivating a lot n always bite anything that come near. He even tried my nose when i try to kiss him.

Saw the gum but no red gums. And he ALWAYS wanta to eat or comfort sucking. Dunno what is bothering him.

Could not be teething right?

Ian,

thank u for sharing

cyn,

ur boy is so good!! mine must carry till he is asleep or must nurse him then he will fall alseep. If we lie him on the cot by himself wide awake he will make cooing sound like calling ppl to carry him n eventually will cry.

Can i also hv manual for the mim sling?? i have similar one but dont know how to wear... Thanks.. Will pm u my email?

Sling,

i bought preloved pupsik recently, size xl. But it is far too big for me and too small for hubby!! anyone wants to take over? it is still pretty new.. No tear n stain. Pls let me know, thanks. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Talking abt slings, can anyone recommend a baby carrier that has a back carry style? My hubby wants to get one so that we dun always hv to bring e stroller with us. Just realized how inconsiderate sporeans r. They will always rush for the lift then pple like us with strollers can't go in.

Shin

from yr description it does sound like gassy tummy or colic. My bb went thru e same thing too pd said too much wind in tummy. In doubt go see pd k. Jia you k!

Ann

thks. Will check out these brands. Was telling hb to buy later when bb is slightly bigger. But he see me always carry bb in my pupsik he heartache esp when we go out cos sometimes can b for few hrs by then my back wanna break Liao. Actually I think carrying bb with or without sling is giving me backache

Suwaiwai,

ur last sentence is so true! haha.. Me too hv backache these past 2 days. N baby wants to be carried to sleep. Ouch!!

I think carrier will be better because the weight is spread over both shoulders.

Morning all~!! It's Friday again.. Not that the days are any different to me now. Everyday is like a 'working day', taking care of baby at home.

marrissa,

Have you brought baby out in the sling already? I still haven't master the technique right. Put her in and she cries. -_-!! Gotta practice more and let her get used to it then going out will be easier..

Re: beansprout pillow

Usually this is placed across the chest to offer comfort abd to prevent startling.. Not using very much to prevent my girl's startle reflex already as she's slowly growing out of that phase. Now I use it more to 'block' her paci and keep it from popping out of her mouth whenever she sucks too hard.

Cyn,

Wah.. U still can sing song tell stories! Haha! Night time I keep it really quiet. No singing/humming also. Just on very dim night light and pat her to sleep on the bed.

Stella,

I was at Guardian earlier and saw that there is this medication for colic called Dentinox Infant Colic Drops. Ridwind like more for gassy tummy. Maybe can try Dentinox? Hope he gets better. Very heartache to hear babies cry and cry but don't know what they want or how to comfort them.

Just now I was at the salon near my mum's place for scalp analysis. My scalp really very 'chui'.. Cld see from the scanning that I have oily scalp and clogged pores. Even have pinhole bald patches at the back! Gulps!! The scalp therapist told me they look like very recent problems. So I said I didn't wash my hair for several days last mth due to confinement. She like, no wonder lor... Sigh. But luckily got hope and it's treatable with change of shampoo and scalp therapy. Can't do therapy now as alcohol and botanical extracts will be used and I'm still expressing bm. So ladies who not bfing or expressing, go do scalp analysis (usually free) esp if u find ur hair thinning out or suddenly very oily. I nv knew I have scalp problems till today lor. Hope won't have premature balding. Yeeks!!

Re crankiness after hep b jab: it happened to my gal n lasted a whole 6 days. During those 6 days, she wanted to b carried all the time n the min input her down, she cried. Now that the jab effect is gone, she can sleep on her own again. So don't worry, it will get better one!

Starry, ur gal gal no longer startles is it? So she can sleep longer hours on her own in the cot? My gal gal still startles but less, I hope she can outgrow it soon.

Shortyncute,

Yah, my girl slowly outgrowing it. Will still startle once in a while but she recovers from it quickly and goes back to slp. she can sleep 3 solid hours on the bed at night. Dont know coincidence or what, we realize ever since she started using yao lan her startling gets less and less when we let her slp on the bed. Or just her naturally growing out bah. Now the beansprout pillow also not much use. She doesnt like it on her chest or tummy anymore so I let her hug it like bolster instead.

Re: crying once put down

I still let her cry sometimes and only pick her up after a while. Initially once she cried, I went to her. Then slowly I drag the timing of attending to her. A few times I ignored her completely and she just stopped after a while and fell asleep on her own. Of course I checked her tummy whether got gas, diaper not soiled, well fed and had burped. Think sometimes she cries for attention or to be picked up when she's perfectly fine.

just came back from bringing my boy for his hep B vaccine, lucky he is a brave boy never cry [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ian: i read somewhere reading to babies will calm them down also and if u tell them the same stories for bedtime they will slowly recognise it is the cue for them to go to sleep....

Ann: you've got mail too! Btw it is not that he is well behave...its hard work getting him into the routine...luckily i works well now. I'm still training him for the daytime routine though...

where can I buy ridwind? Went to guardian pharmacy don't have leh... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Starry,

Thanks so much for sharing, I will try out ur method on managing the crying time vs picking up [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] n I hope my gal gal can grow the startling like urs [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] it's also possible that the yaolan might have instilled a better sense of security, if only bbs can speak! Really headache to guess everyday what is causing that wailing.

cyn,

Eldrick's brave! Jadelyn cried during the jab. Boohoo..

Shin,

Maybe out of stock? Try polyclinic pharmacy if there is one near your place. $0.70 only!! Next time I'm going there to buy. Save $$ as Guardian sells $6++. Haha!

Re: daytime naps

My girl not really slping in the day. After milk also eyes open big big. If she naps its no longer those solid 2-3 hrs slp. She will doze, wake, doze, wake.. She's not fussing/crying, but make those noises like want attention kind.I wanna take my afternoon nap or pump also a bit 不放心. Any mummies facing same problem?

Re: sling pouch

Just tried again. Successful!!! She's sleeping inside. Hee hee!

zuen, cherry,

Sometimes I forgot the day and date already. Only know feeding times. Haha!

Shortyncute,

No prob! I also trial and error then figure this one out. Sooner or later all babies will outgrow their startle reflex, just when only. Some find beanie pillow useful, some find sleeping on tummy works. Both dont work for my dd so gotta come out with Plan C. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

haaaa starry, saw the pic u post in FB. Well done! Now can enjoy handsfree moment liao...

Eldrick was sleeping when the needle was inserted. He woke up and i pat him and he went back to sleep!

He slept all the way till i came back home and that's when my in laws wake him up...Haiz. But i let them play with him awhile la.

After half an hour , i told them it is his sleepy time and he has to sleep. When they hear him cry, they must not carry him because its only his pacifier dropping out. Just have to put it back inside his mouth and pat him a little. I also ask them not to stay inside the room otherwise he will not sleep.

It works well today cos they dare not disobey my instruction. I think they know if they do things i dun like, they will kena from my hubby... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My boy also dun sleep for solid 2-3hrs liao, at most 1hr... but at least better than none in the afternoon. So during this time i quickly pump/bath/eat/watch tv...

Back