(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

I think my baby is 'bo chup' baby...sleeps through everything. I bath her she can still sleep...unbelievable.

Jac

your Yao Lan is those portable kind or drill hole in ceiling kind? Where did you buy yours? My girl startles ALOT so thinking of getting Yao Lan.Tried turnng her to her side to sleep but sometimes she flip to her back. My hubby got so desperate he pile so many pillows on her to make her feel secure. Its so hilariouss.

Zuen

wat is the diff between the ergo n beco? I wld love to hear yr review no time to check out their websites yet. Hb wld like one that has back carry style

Hi starry,

My girl also doesn't sleep 2-3 hrs in day. We put her in Yao lan in the day, n muz auto motor swing her, then she will sleep about hr plus to 2 sometimes. At nite she sleeps sofa,don't wan sleep cot hence I sleep with her on sofa.. Ha..sleep until I backache. I use pureen bottle cleansing liquid bt my hands will itch so I swap to pigeon n juz like u,I feel too diluted n nt clean. My maid use a lot to wash juz a few bottles,n finish the liquid very fast, so I tink I will switch brand also if nt my pocket cannot tahan ..

Nycmum,

my daughter also startle alot, we use yaolan n give her bolster in the yaolan helps.. At nite she sleeps on her tummy, which is the best for her little frights,even Loud thunder also dun scare her..

Nycmum, my boy also slept through his first month but woke up once in a while for milk or to look ard. I hv a feeling he was ok w the noise n carrying but after every1 left n it becsme very quiet he overloaded at night because the change frm noisy to quiet to extreme he can't take it. Cried himself to slp. He go out also the same but now he's older he starts to get cranky wen we go out too long. He's more aware of his surroundings so even more easily stimulated.

My girl also startles quite often even wif the beansprout pillow. Dunno why cos my first girl din use to have this. My mom kept saying must be frightened by something and ask me to let her eat the jing feng san. Any mummies here gave to ur BB?

Regarding Yao lan, my first girl also used it till abt 1 yr old then she herself decided not to sleep in it anymore. Prefer to sleep on her bed. So it's really not that bad. I let my mom use the yao lan cos she has backache n tough for her to carry the BB to sleep.

hi, have been MIA for so long.....

My baby girl chose to come out on e last day of Oct. Have been TBFing her, so like wat some mummies say, I only know feeding times, dunno anything else.

Have been worried abt my girl coz she has jaundice... had to be warded at KK for phototherapy earlier on, and now got to go for liver check and tests at KK on Mon coz her jaundice is still not coming down. Anyone have any experience with this?

Whim: my boy was also admitted for jaundice. Initially tbf then the levels kept gg up. Aft admitted mix bm n fm then the levels slowly came down. Usually tbf it's normal for jaundice to stay longer. Don't worry too much I'm sure the jaundice will come down soon. Your girl will be fine.

Thanks stella for sharing! My baby definitely falls under e 'sensitive' category. I hope she grows out of it soon. Anyway im going msia next sat for cuzins wedding. Already promised cannot backout but already told mom will come home in e evening, wont sleepover at hotel. Now must jus braced ourselves for the sleepless nite. Stella, how do u handle yr boy if he gets easily overstimulated on a daily basis?

Nycmum, my baby is also v calm when we bring her out for outings. She din even cry when ppl carry her or passed her ard. But i realised she has trouble napping when we r out. Only at night she cry n fuss till 12-1am when usually she would sleep by 9pm.

Ian

my hubby is the hazard la...the other night he cover baby with our comforter when she sleeps with us n end up it cover her face in the middle of the night. Luckily I remove it.

Empress

Baby not only sleep when I carry. Other ppl carry she'll sleep v well(except my hubby, think he's too bony)She sleeps in the stroller when brought out.I didn't give gripe water cos heard its not good. Gave her some ridwind a few days ago cos she started fussing after full month.

nelc

I gave my girl Jing Feng San. Just a bit cos she gets startled v easily.

Stella, Marrissa

How do you handle your baby? I really want to bring baby out lei.

Oh stella i read this overstimulation shd go away by the time baby is 3mths old. By then their need for stimulqtion increases, they can handle noise n new things better. Fingers crossed!

Starry, zuen, stella, princess diamond (axxoxxxx, rite?), n shin,

hv become ur friends in fb..

Cute babies!! love to see them..

U all hv pics from deluvery time hor.. I only have recent ones.. Huhuhu... The rest with hubby n i hv no time to upload.

Whim,

if too high maybe can consider giving fm for few days or mix with bm. Fm cn help lower jaundice level.

All will be well soon ok!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Nycmum,

may i know why gripe water is not good?

Coz im feeding it for my boy n he seems to be better passing gas. I was doubtful at first to give but when i googled it says that gripe water is all natural. I tried myself too..

Overstimulation,

My boy behaves really well in public. Meaning, no request for comfort sucking n when he poos n farts also never let the whole wide world know - he did not cry n seek attention.

N he sleeeeeps throughout whenever we are out. Only wake up during feeding n when wanting to go back to sleep also nv cry but his eyes just wonder around.

All this happen NO MATTER HOW NOISY/ QUIET THE ENVIRONMENT IS. haih... Weird boy. At home will act out.

So i should bring him out more often? haha

Nycmum & Marrissa:

Gg out if possi I use carrier my carrier limits his visual field coz quite enclosed n his head is against my chest so my heartbeat is probably calming so he can slp throughout as long as not too long a trip. Otherwise stroller with the infant head support helps abit to block out sound n my stroller's cover can go almost all the way so blocks his view. I learnt my lesson n I dun let ppl carry my bb n pass ard already. At hm I try to be quite strict in his routines. Timing impossible to set right now but his feeds are at the same spots his naps in the same place and I try not to excite him too much. Everything for now is low key. Low tones, dim lights soft music. It can get quite difficult because I stay with traditional in laws n they sun understand the theory so some days r a power struggle but I'm still trying to get through to them.

Mummies,

I've been having a cold the past couple of days w running nose n abit of cough. It's ok to still give bb my bm rite? If I'm sick will bm supply drop? I dunno if bb passed it to me but if not I hope i dun pass it to him. Paracetamol ok to take rite?

I m just done wif e full mth bash. No 1 skipped her nap n is knocked out now. No 2 was awake most of his bash n so many pple carried him. The environment was prob too noisy n he couldn't nap. Knocked out only at 5+pm when there's lesser guests. Hoho.

Suwaiwai,

Beco structure smaller n nicer design. Baby's view not as block as ergo. Ergo restrict baby's movement more n I think it is more for bigger kids. My dd enjoys being ergo-Ed when she was older. Both beco n ergo does not allow baby to face out, only face in or piggy back style. They follow the school of tots that bb should not be exposed to too much stimulation when outside (I think). They both come with the strap at the lower back for support, supposed to minimise backache. Both allows the bb to be 'sitting' in the carrier. Hmmm, not sure if u get wat I mean. Some carriers, the bbs are upright, like in a standing position.

Marrisa, Starry n mummies n Ian,

Thanks.... Marrisa...

I m also facing prob with baby easily startled n putting her to bed.. If only she could tell me wat she needs..

My CL left on wed.. after a few days wo her, I really suffer from her way of putting my bb to bed. Cos she watched e

9pm drama so she would carry bb for about half hr while she watching then put bb in bed during half hr commercial break. I kept telling her to put bb down when she's drowsy to let her sooth herself to slp but I was tired n could not monitor so closely, plus everyone else nd rest so it ended up I hvg a hard time trying to change this bad habit!

HELP!!! I jus spent 2.5hrs putting my gal to sleep!!!! I am so exhausted! She was so cranky... But i insist i need to start tonight if I wan a make the change at putting my bb to bed!

Thank god for Ian's article for more info... Now I feel like bashing my CL up! She is really rubbish in bb care. Looks like I got to start all over w my bb's sleep routine!

dear mummies

Not been contributing for awhile. Just fin reading the thread.

Re startle

I swaddle her, can sleep 3 to 5 hours. she drinks 4oz every 3 hours, night time max can sleep for 5 hours.

Re stearilise

Do mummies do it Everytime u use the bottles and funnel when pumping? if we air dry won't it get contaminated? I stearilise Everytime before I use and never air dry, just keep in my avent bottle stearilizer.

Re change bottles and teats

When do we change them? I find my bottles getting somewhat opaque.

Re diapers

Using drypers. I'm surprised it's actually quite good. Mammypoko my gal wakes up too often from pee or poo.

Zuen, cherry n mummies, Ian

Not only I m out of touch w e days n dates.. I m also t only one on graveyard shift since I m breastfeeding... Hubb will slp in nxt rm cos he has to wk.. Wat do yr hubb do?do ur hubs wake up with u every night n feed or help change bb diapers every night?

Day time I m e one to bath bb, change diapers etc, n I hv to breastfeeding or pump out, attend to her .. Mil will carry bb if bb cries. The last time she change diapers , she spoil the wet tissue dispenser knob. at bath time, mil 'help out' by smiling at the things I do n say I m on e right track. In the morning she will ask how come last night bb keep crying? (in e mil way that makes me feel uncomfortable)', Sigh... But i really shouldn't complain, aT least there's someone to buy food or cook n watch over my gal when I nd 2 use toilet...

Out for my gal when I nd to shower, go toilet, or eat.

Irene,

I also have problem putting my bb to sleep. I am also exhausted!

Mummies,

Btw, did you monitor how many times your bb poo? My bb poo-ed watery stools and many times a day. Not sure if it is diarrhea.

Stella, ive nursed my baby while having flu, sore throat n fever. N i was on doctors medication which is safe for bf. I din see any drop in bm supply at all.

Stella, thks for e tips! I also realise baby will sleep instantly when i put her in sling. But sometimes no choice. Go MIL place sure they want to carry baby. Cant say no. I tink dis is y old folks tell us dun bring baby out when they r too young. Or dun play too much during e day otherwise at nite cannot sleep. I hope it gets better when our babies hit 3 mths!

Re: reading to baby

I read in one of e post here dat mommies read to their babies.? What do u read n when? During bedtime? Coz i realised after wiping down in e evening baby has difficulty sleeping. 6pm wipe 9pm then sleep ley! Maybe i shd use dat time to read to her?

Btw, any mommies experinecing this.. Baby cant sleep after wiping/bathing n massaging in e evening. I understand it relaxes n prepares baby for bedtime but y mine takes 2- 3 hrs to sleep?? Hubby wld bottlefeed her 100ml after wiping down but then she would b so wide awake n insist i bf her! Im sure shes not hungry n jus want to comfort nurse until she sleeps.

Irene, i also do e graveyard shift. Sometimes hubby will wake up to help me change diaper but most time he dun. I also dun haf help during e day i managed by multi-tasking. Put baby n sling n do my work. Abt yr MIL.. I tink some grandmas (like my mom) R only part-time grandmas.. They jus want to b ard n play wif baby. All e hard work they leave it to u to do.

IrenE,

Nite shift is mine. My bb slps with maid n I latch in living rm. Hb totally hands off unless dd cries. dd slps wif us. But I get to rest in e day cos I got my mum n helpEr.

Marissa,

maybe ur baby is one of those who get stimulated when bathing. If she gets too excited by bathing or wiping maybe u wipe her earlier? then during bedtime just change her to her sleeping clothes?

Mine too sometimes if cannot sleep he will ask to nurse. To be able to sleep. Im a bit doubtful to give him to nurse at first but can see improvement in him now. No need to nurse everytime to het him to sleep. Soon will outgrow i hope.

U can google kelly mom comfort nursing to sleep.

Gsm: I sterilize my pump parts except the soft breastshield for my medela pump aft every use too but I do air dry so the tubing wun hv condensation. The breastshield I blanch in hot water aft washing.

Irene: my hb sleeps like a pig at night so no help at all. Bb scream oso most of the time he can't hear. Only first week he managed to get up with me. Sian.

Marrissa: if ur baby is a sensitive baby then massage/bath/wipedown is more stimulating than relaxing wor. Is the Lighting too bright while ur wiping her? I read to my boy in the afternoons wen he is awake but I keep it short jus in case he overloads. My boy also stays awake aft evening wipedowns so I do it as early as possi wen he wakes so straight aft he is ready for milk n I off the lights n draw e curtains to put him to bed.

I also hope our littles darlings will outgrow their sensitivity very very soon!

Mummies, pl omit the last sentence of my previous post.

Gsm, I also hv e same query as u abt sterilizing the funnel. Use to sterilize after ea use, also wonder about how to keep it steralised till use. Cos mine is medela freestyle n has many parts n needs to b completely dry for use, so I clean it used to clean it w my bb's towel after washing n sunning. Then someone gv me the idea of storing e pump funnel in the fridge after use. I figured it make sense otherwise I hv to keep washing n drying, really tedious. So I now keep it in a zip lock bag n put in fridge after use. I wash it after t pump maybe in the morning n won't b pumping for the nxt few hrs...

Shirley, hugz... So how r u coping? R u changing anything to help yr bb fall asleep? U bf-ding? Bf bb I think has eatery poos..

Shirley: if u r breast feeding, watery stools many times a day initially is normal as long as colour is bright like mustard, though sometimes varies. As baby grows the stools will b passed less often sometimes 2-3 days no poo also normal.

Irene,

i think only few of us are blessed with easy to sleep babies.. Hehe.. I red somewhere that although babies are tired, sometimea they fuss to sleep because they could not sleep on their own. Must help them to be able to slee on their own by creating condusive environment.

At first i also want my boy to b able to sleep on his own. But cannot leh.. So i create trouble for myself n carry him to sleep on my chest n later on transfer him to the cot. I let him sleep on stomach.

There is times he will want to sleep on my chest. But most of the time ok when i tramsfer him back to cot.

For me, i cld not stand crying baby. I will pick up in less than 5 mins and will comfort him. So sleep training is not my choice. I rather give comfort first n let him get his beauty sleep rather than forcing him to sleep alone.

Of course i really hope he will outgrow this soon. I realise it takes lesser time to get him to sleep on my chest.

Cross my finger hor after saying this.. Haha.. Hope in few months time i will NOT complain abt my boy not be able to sleep alone n wants to be carried all the time.. Hahhaa

ThAnks stella, ann!! Omg, i din realise dat wiping her down in e evenings can overstimulate her! N yes i always switch on this bright light above her changing station whenever i wipe her.. Oops :/ ok, ok so shd i not wipe her anymore in e evenings? Jus change clothes n massage earlier say at 6pm? All these while i wipe her ard 6.30-7pm..

Ann, actually when i bathe her in e mornings she go back to sleep straight after.. Only evenings got prob. Im guessing mornings she still sleepy. And ya i also read on kellymom N dr sears dat comfort nursing is normal n healthy for baby. They would need to suck sthg. If not breast, it could b pacifier or their thumbs. But breast supposed to b better for brain developm etc. I guess im jus a bit worried she wont wean off later on. Coz after e usual evening wipedowns she will b stuck to my chest from 6-9pm. I know theres not much milk so she cannot b hungry. I can unlatch her but 10mins later she will cry again bloody murder for my breast. Not like ive neve tried giving her pacifier, she spit it out. But i can tell she look so contented at e breast. Maybe i shd jus enjoy e moment ah?

Re; medela freestyle pump

The soft breastshild no need to sterilise? Ive been sterilising all 4 parts. If can jus dip in hot water then better still, dun waste time coz i need to use pump at nite

Btw mommies, is baby 6 hrs nap during e day (not straight 6 hrs) considered normal or too long?

Marrissa,

6~9?!?!?! Woooowww!!

My boi at first also reject paci n bottle. Needs 5mins to get him sucking bottle.

One night i was so tired n decided to give him paci for the forst time. At first he spit out. But in the end no choice haha. I watched him throughout.. Really sad with his paci [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] for solid 30 mins keeps on sucking but unable to sleep n kst look at me with sad eyes. Cant stand it so i take out n give my breast. He sleeps in less han 10 sucks...

First i am so angry with him using me but after reading the kelly mom article, same like u loh, i try to enjoy the moments.. They will grow soon without we knowing it [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Marrisaa,

Last time my boi use to be at my breast for abt 1 hr too. Then i tried unlatch slowly. See how he cope. Then i will hug him tight n sing to him. Somehow he is contented too by this way.. If he cry then i will give back but after 5 mins or so i try to unlatch n hug hug again.

I hope this is one part of "weaning" from comfort nursing.. Hehe

Re: medela freestyle pump

my breastshield warped. anyone know where to buy replacement?

Re: sleeping on tummy

After feeding can put him on tummy right away? or best to wait for awhile? will he throw out the milk if put right after feeding?

Ann, awww yr baby looked at u wif sad eyes? Aiyoh i wouldnt haf e heart also. Ya lor 6.30 wipedown, gjve 100ml bottle finish in 15 mins, after burp she still want breast. Everytime Unlatch 10mins lqter she will cry her head off. I realised at nite everytime she cant sleep she wants breast. Daytime gif her bottle no prob. Anyway This evening wanna try not wiping her down, see if she can stay off my chest n sleep earlier. Thks all!!

Marissa.. I hv bought e sling but hv not tried it yet. Think I better try soon. I also multi task. But I m not hvg enuf rest so I sometimes become blur for a moment, forget wat I wanted to do next...

About mil, I kinda forsee that, but I will b back to work full time after my mater leave, so when hubb goes to wk, it's all hers, so i really wonder if she can manage.????

Zuen,

Hubb is not keen to get a full time helper. He is ok with having a Part-time helper but so far hv not engaged yet.. So far I keep my hands off household chores, if not I will die...

Stella,

I m doing the dim lights, close curtains thing. Wipe down is earlier about 1 to 2 hrs before bed time..

Mummies n daddy,

Me n hb really shacked out looking after baby. He needs to be carried to sleep. When CL ard, she help to carry. Now I gt to carry him for many hours sometimes before he can fall asleep. Really tiring.

Mummies using the carrier, if baby face in I scared he cannot breathe leh. The nose liked smashed against chest leh. How? Really cannot tahan carrying him for hours. Arm aching Liao.

Thinking of getting a maid to help out.

Marrisa,

wow.. 3 hrs my nip would be so sore! i used to latch her with me lying down until she falls asleep cos i was so tired myself. but from last night i decide to latch her for 5 -10 min if she just wan comfort and not hungry.

u using freestyle? breast shield cannot steam but can boil, if not will crack, i heard. so i just soak or blanch in hot water. just sterilise the 3 parts attached to the membrane will do.

ann,

i m going to do the same as you on the latching before sleep, pls share ur updates with me can? so that i can monitor myself too.

empress7,

try mums and babes, they should have.

re: bb sleeping.

last night i spent 2.h hrs and then after the 5am feed, another half hr before she can sleep again. i notice she is very tired and will doze off, but will wake in a few sec and start crying. she will also wave her hands and legs... sigh... how can i stop her from doing that? swaddle she will cry louder...

can't help but am really angry again with my CL, I had wanted to swaddle bb till about 6-8 weeks old but she told me no point swaddle the bb cos bb dun like anymore. so angry now!

and daytime, i tell mil not to carry her till she doze off, but mil won't listen and say: oh... she dun like to sleep on the stroller, she dun like to sleep in my room etc... sigh.. tonight must talk to hubb..

xin2, i hv the exact same prob as u, not just my CL, also my MIL... CL is gone, but MIL is here to stay, how??? faintzzzzzzzzz....

good Afternoon mummies and Ian!!

What a great day! Cos I jut woke up... So nice to sleep in on a Sunday!! My MIL helped me out in the morning so we could sleep [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Went to catch Harry potter 7 ytd! Can't wait for part 2!!!! Anyway told my MIL to help us out with baby while we were out... My boy gave her a hard time I think. She had difficulty coaxing him to sleep.. After carrying him, he will slp and when she put him on th bed, he wakes up.. This went on 5 times!! Den she say the mattress on the floor too low.. She got backache.. (I'm sleeping on floor with baby)..

I reached home abt 12+, 1am and I carried the baby, rocked gently and sang songs.. He slept within 5mins and I gently placed him on his bed.. Didn't wake up!!! Hahahaha

MIL says maybe he wants mummy's scent?? She complain my boy so difficult to handle.. We only let her take care of baby 6hrs and she damn shacked Liao.. In the past she volunteered to take night shift on Sats and after ytd, she asked me if I'm taking the shift cos she say she couldn't take it... So funny!!!!! Hahahaha

So end my my hb volunteered to take thE shift so I can slp.. And this morning, my hb complain SO tired!! Cos 2 days in a row he took night shift.. He keep saying so tired so tired... Hahaha... So I ask him... Now u know how tired it is taking care of baby DAY and NIGht?? I'm on 5 day work week with baby leh...

So funny that my MIL who used to brag that she can take care of babies is also scared now!!! Lol... To think she asked me to give birth to another 2 yrs later and she will help me take care of both my boy and the baby... How to believe?? Hahaha

sling

Anyway I think my MIM sling is too big!! Until now I failed to put baby inside... Is the puksilk(alamak, how to spell??) one better?? This MiM one doesn't seem to have much support or for the baby's neck leh [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Any advices mummies? I'm thinking of getting one suitable for my built...

Xin2,

If baby facing inwards in carrier usually thy will turn head sideways.. Will be able to breathe. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ur boy likes to be carried craddle hold or on the shoulders?

Maybe u can try patting him while in carried position but u sit instead. Yet he will feel that u are moving..

Place for bby to sleep,

i think baby can sleep everywhere. No matter how hard or spft the surface is. If the environment is suitable they will b able to sleep for hours!!

I just remember that my mum told me she used to put mh elder brother on the dining table when he is still baby. That is the only place where she could supervise him while cooking...... Hahaha...

Shin,

haha.. Ur mil must be very pissed.. Maybe next time u left ur clothing behind n let bby use as blanket.

I did that in earlier weeks. Do not know got effect or not. Hubby always laugh everytime i put baby in cot n give my vlothing as blanket n say.. See mummy sleep with u okay.. Sleep tight... Heeee.. My mum says it is gross coz it is the clothing i use the whole day hahahaha...

I also want to go out for movie!!!!

Did any of u thinking of bringing baby to watch cinema wih u??? my mum used to do that. I do not seem to have hearing problem hee hee..

Sling,

Best if u can try first with the bby. Esp if not adjustable.

Like me bought wrongly n not suitable for me or hubby.

If those ring type should be one size fits all.

Shin,

Mothercare sells pupsik. Maybe can try with bby there n see what size suitable for u.

There is one shop at novena too that sells all sort of carrier. I wanna go there someday but do not know when.. Haih..

Marissa: still can wipe down jus try to remove things that will overstimulate like the lights. Cld b y ur baby can slp well aft bath but not aft wipe. Try to do things similar to wen u bathe her, environment n routine wise n see if there's improvement? This kind of thing sometimes gotta trial n error.

Back