(2010/09) September 2010 MTB

forgot to share what i learnt from my gynae ytd. Getting more forgetful nowadays.. :p

For mtbs with headaches:

My gynae told me that pur headache could be due to dehyration. We can try isotonic drinks (e.g. 100 plus or H-Two-O) to hyrate ourselves faster.

For mtbs with leg cramps:

I tend to have cramps at my calf area when i sleep. Doc told me that it could be due to lack of calcium. Since I dun drink milk, he told me to take yougurt drink in replacement and if problem not solve, to increase my calcium pills intake.

I have headaches and cramps too.. and now... it's backaches.. so painful especially when trying to stand from sitting!

I am gonna check with my gynae too...

Re: Confinement Food

I missed this discussion earlier. Which are the recommended ones? Anyone tried before? How's the portion, taste? Any advice?

bb dreamz:

Consult your gynae ba. 2nd trimester is usually ok as long as you dun have any conditions that puts you are risk of complications - high blood pressure/pre-eclamsia, gestational diabetes, etc. You will also need a gynae's letter else you may face problems boarding the plane.

bb,

wow, u are so lucky to win a bali trip... i never have such luck. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

I dun think there is much of a problem for us to travel by plane now. I jus went to Bali with a 7-mth pregnant fren during Dec and not much problem. Btw, we took SQ. As long as ur gynae give u the green light, i think it shld be fine. Do remember to take the letter from your gynae.

I think u shld take up this opportunity to go bali. Even if u dun travel ard much, at least can stay in the villa and lomantic with hb b4 bb is born. hehehe.. I hope i can go on babymoon oso but i think i will be too caught up with hse reno liao.

Morning Mummies [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Friday today~

Will be going to the Starhub Run & Carnival with hubs and daughter tml~

What are your plans?

hi shinchan, that's a good tips for headache.. occasionally i have headache too..

btw girls, anyone of u have to wake up each time to change your sleeping position? for me i have too and i guess i wont have a good sleep from now on with the tum tum getting bigger

I had book my BKK trip as early as Jan before I evnen know i conceived. Trip is nxt mth - May by then I will be in my 6mths le. Decided to cancelled due to the red shirt gang. Scared if situation turn bad I won't be able to escape in time cos' pregnancy makes my movement very slow. hahaha... I want to go on babymoon where should I go... Maybe book a nice hotel to relax over weekend or to Sentosa.

Fifi: one of the ladies recommended natalessentials.com as they use thermal bag to keep their food warm..

Tigerlily: i laughed when i read "Scared if situation turn bad I won't be able to escape in time cos' pregnancy makes my movement very slow" cos i was imagining myself.. LOL!

BKK, d best country to spend without batting an eyelid.. woohoo! i love it.. told hb to bring me there after i give birth..

btw, any of u ladies know where to find those comforters set with cot bumpers with prints of Disney characters?

Aussino has no more stock on their comforter sets already! Sighz. Bought 1 set only lor! I need another 3 sets as i have 2 baby cot..

Hihi,

Rachoho: If i am not wrong, doing a detailed scan can range anywhere from 250$ upwards.

Detailed Scan at 20 Weeks:

You will be offered a detailed scan when you are between 18 and 22 weeks pregnant (NICE 2008) to check that your baby is developing normally, and to have a look at where the placenta is lying in your uterus (womb). This is called the anomaly scan or mid-pregnancy ultrasound scan (NSC 2007).

This scan's main purpose is to confirm that your baby is developing normally.

Most hospitals allow you to watch the scan, which takes about 15 minutes, as it is being performed. If you haven't already had a scan in this pregnancy, the person performing the scan (sonographer) will check that there is only one baby, and confirm your due date.

She will point out your baby's heartbeat and parts of his body such as his face and hands, before looking in detail him. At this point, some sonographers will turn the screen away for the rest of the scan and show you views again at the end.

By 20 weeks, it's often possible to see whether your baby is a boy or a girl.

Your baby's internal organs are looked at in cross section, which may be difficult for you to make out. Bones appear white on the scan, fluid is black, and soft tissues look grey and speckled.

•Your baby's head is usually examined first. The main job of the scan will be to check its shape and structure. However, although rare, severe brain problems will be visible at this stage. The sonographer will try to check your baby's face for a cleft lip, but cleft palates inside a baby's mouth are hard to see and are not often picked up on scans.

•Your baby's spine is checked in the long view and in cross section, to make sure that all the bones align and that the skin covers the spine at the back. Your baby's abdominal wall is also checked to make sure it covers all the internal organs at the front.

•Your baby's heart is looked at for its size and shape. The top two chambers, or atria, and the bottom two chambers, or ventricles, should be equal in size, and the valves should open and close with each heartbeat. The National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence recommends that your baby should also have a more detailed scan of the heart to examine the major blood vessels leaving the heart (ISUOG 2006; NICE 2008). This type of scan is only available in hospitals that have the right machines and the trained sonographers.

•Your baby's stomach should be visible below the heart. Your baby swallows some of the amniotic fluid that it lies in, which is seen in the stomach as a black bubble.

•Your baby's kidneys will be checked. The sonographer will check that your baby has two kidneys, and that urine flows freely into the bladder. If your baby's bladder is empty, it should fill up during the scan and be easy to see. Your baby has been passing urine every half an hour or so for some months now!

•Your baby's hands and feet are examined and the fingers and toes are looked at, but not counted.

•The placenta may be on the front or the back wall of your uterus, usually near the top (or fundus) so may be described as fundal on your scan report. Many are described as low, because they reach down to or cover the cervix, or neck of the womb. If your placenta is low, you'll have another scan in the third trimester, by which time most placentas will have moved away from the cervix. Read more about having a low-lying placenta.

•The umbilical cord: It is possible to count the three blood vessels in the umbilical cord, but this may not be done routinely.

•Amniotic fluid: There should be enough surrounding your baby to allow it to move freely.

If you have a history of going into labour too early or late miscarriage, you may also have a scan to measure the length of your cervix.

The parts of your baby's body that show how well he is growing will be checked for size. The sonographer will measure his:

.head circumference (HC)

•head diameter (biparietal diameter or BPD)

•abdominal circumference (AC)

•femur or thigh bone (FL)

The sonographer will check that his measurements agree with the due date given at your dating scan. If your anomaly scan is the first one you’ve had, it will be used to establish a date for your baby’s arrival. If there is more than seven days' difference between this date and the date calculated according to your last period, the scan date is the one that will be used.

About half of all major abnormalities will be seen at this stage. The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG 2000) gives the following chances of some abnormalities, which, remember, are rare, being picked up at a mid-pregnancy scan:

•Anencephaly (absence of the top of the head): 99 per cent

•Exomphalos/gastroscisis (defects of the abdominal wall): 90 per cent

•Major limb abnormalities (missing or very short limbs): 90 per cent

•Spina bifida (open spinal cord): 90 per cent

•Major kidney problems (missing or abnormal kidneys): 85 per cent

•Diaphragmatic hernia (hole in the muscle separating chest and abdomen): 60 per cent

•Hydrocephalus (excess fluid within the brain): 60 per cent

•Down's syndrome (babies with Down's may have visible heart or bowel problems): 40 per cent

•Major heart problems (defects of chambers, valves or vessels): 25 per cent

•Autism: never seen

•Cerebral palsy: never seen

Some problems, including heart defects and bowel obstructions, may not be visible until later in your pregnancy.

If a scan reveals a serious problem, you should be given plenty of support to guide you through all the options. Although such serious problems are rare, some families are faced with the most difficult decision of all, whether to end the pregnancy.

Other problems may mean a baby needs surgery or treatment after birth, or even surgery while it is still in the uterus. There will be a whole range of people to support you through any painful times, including midwives, obstetricians, paediatricians, physiotherapists and the hospital chaplain.

(Taken from Baby Centre)

Thank you for your warm welcome ladies [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

TigerLily, how? how? have you find out the gender yet? I have to wait to know mine until the next visit.. which is in another 4 weeks time [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Jus curious, is it safe to use axe oil / tiger balm during pregnancy? I occasionally got headache and stuffy nose.

re: Detailed Scan

I had done mine ytd. It is not the gynae who did it for me. I was referred to TMC for the scan instead. Cost is ard $120++. Sonographer scan for gender and take measurements of bb, e.g like head, nasal bone, etc. You will be able to see the backbone, hands, etc. Then I'm given a report to bring back to my gynae for review. The report will show u the statistic of the measurements and and special findings if any. For mine, my diagnosis is no abnormalities detected but my placenta is a bit low.

Time taken to scan will depend on your bb's cooperation lor. Mine took ard 30 mins. My bb was actually lying face down during the scan and the sonographer had to shake my tummy to get bb moving..

einney,

my gynae appt is at 2.30pm. my hb is on conference call now, waiting for him to go wif me. just now my colleagues says mine shld be a gal leh cos' i got pimples & my butt is rounded. dunno true anot. i will find out soon.

einney,

for headache - i used bengay recommended by some MTB here. i oso got neckache very often - so i oso used that. for nausea, blocked nose & tummy - i used ruyi oil.

Gals,

thanks for ur words of encouragements! Feel better now. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Tigerlily,

I ve more breakouts for this pregnancy. So jialat that I have "new arrivals" almost everyday!!! Kong Bu rite?

Dream....

I dreamt a Chinese sinseh told me I'm having a gal after taking my pulse. Haha... Must be thinking too much abt pink stuffs liao. Or like wat pple say, often dreams n reality r the opposite. Definately true in my case. :p

Headache, feel groggy (aka head gong gong),

my gynae mention something abt blood supplying to the brain, this prob shd ease off when we r in week 18.

bbdreamz,

You are so lucky. I have never win a trip overseas before. Enjoy your holiday. It is safe to go in 2nd trimester. Though you got to watch what you eat.

JoKris,

My DHA fishoil brand is Nature's safe by pharmatech. SHould be standard issue from KKH. Cost me $28 plus for 30 softgels. Not sure about specific concentration of the DHA.

Yvvone,

I went to Aussino last fri (paragon outlet) they still have 4 (pink house bedding set) left. You want me to help you check out the GWC outlet?? I work nearby there and i can pop over after work to check if they still have stock.

Rachoho,

I asked TPS nurse yesterday on cost. She said between 80 to 120 for detailed scan at KKH. Am going on 22nd at 8am. First customer leh, hopefully can get everything done quickly.

Pomme: thx for ur offer but dont trouble u la, i call their outlet straight.. cos yest i went to tamp branch and look for blue one, tt guy check their computer, saying left with pink ones and 1 set of kaki color, no more blue ones..

Yvonne,

I bought the khaki colour one. It is a mixture of pastel yellow and khaki with cute elephant. Why don't you consider that? It is quite nice design, good for boys or girls. I nearly couldn't get that cos some crazy woman bought all 4 khaki sets from GWC. Luckily i managed to get it from the hougang outlet the day after.

Hi all mommies....

been missing for a while. jus back fm my 16weeks check up fm gynea n my baby is a boy[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] feeling so happy[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

pinkluv,

pls kindly update for me, thanks!

so tired TGIF =)

anyway, i am sick of KFC porridge, had it for breakfast and ask the staff to reserve one for lunch today..

i think my addiction has weaned off liao =p

Yvonne :

Nice bag, how much is it ?

Dreams

in my 1st few weeks of pregnancy , i dreamt tat there was a tall man lying between my hb and me, i was still asking hb in my dreams y he brought a man home :p

so somehow felt this one is a boy

looking @ mango & yvonne's post, hope dreams r opp fr reality hehe

Cool

congrats !

will update @ home

pomme and yvonne> i checked and no more blue sets in aussino anywhere in sg liao

yvonne> still have khaki? do u know where? i dun mind getting that.

pomme and yvonne> i'm very eng, just called aussino. all tiger and elephant baby bedding sets out of stock in sg...and only selected branches have any comforter sets left...

Hi badfifi~

Saw you on facebook [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] cheers! I am kym~

badfifi: ya lor, cfm no more liao. dont think they will bring in again.. yest d sales guy told me westmall still got 1 set.. but pior to tt when i called westmall, they said not a single set left wor.. so.... im not sure also

pinkyluv> my food addictions have an average shelf-life of 4 days...i thought i was a fussy eater, my baby wins hands down :p

tiger lily,

oh... something new that i learnt today.. always thgt bengal is for bodyaches nia.. :p

so how did ur check up go today? able to see the gender?

Yvonne,

Nice bag! i haven decided if i wanna get a diaper bag anot leh.. or shld i use my usual bags?

yvonne> i just called aussino west mall actually. they don't have any sets left. with GSS coming though, i think there will be more good bargains so don't be too worried. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] if i se any, i'll be sure to post here [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

scarlett> thanks for adding me! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hee, when i saw your name i was still wondering if i'd got the right person :p

cool,

congrats. I oso went to Gynae earlier but couldn't see gender cos' baby facing down. Baby is now 11cm and I gain 1kg le. Wah! very fast leh. I dun wan to put on too much lor, later very difficult to loose those extra weight I put on.

TGIF ladies..

finally finish rushing my quarter closing reports!~ super tired and looking forward to the weekends!!!

Talking bout weight..

This morn i weight myself and i gained 4.7kg. WOOTS. i tink too much supper for this week. really gonna watch my diet.. faint

Thanks mommies[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Today's scan so funny...baby was facing down n gynea shake my tummy n bb turns....gynea manage to see the "thing" n wanted to enlarge to a bigger view...at tis point, bb closes his leg...so I tap on my tum tum n asked bb to open his leg big big to let us see...n really my bb open his legs big...so cute, even my gynea n the nurse laughing over it.....

Back