(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

ladies just want to share abt ultrasound weight measurement. My close friend gave birth last year, her gynae said the baby was too big (3.8kg at 38weeks). So she told my friend to induce. My friend didn't take to the induction well and had a long labour of 18 hours. In the end she was too tired and had to go through emergency c-sec. When baby was out... baby only weighed 3.2kg! My friend was so angry that she had to "force" baby out instead of letting the baby come out naturally at her own time.



So just a story to share, the ultrasound is a very inaccurate way to measure baby's size. When I asked my gynae how accurate she replied "not very accurate. in fact, not accurate at all..80% wrong.. however it shouldn't be very far off"



my mom told me that during her time when she had my sis and i, theres no such thing as ultrasounds every session. The doctor just use a device to hear heartbeat and also use hands to feel where baby is. Therefore they have no idea wat size or anything. Better for them.. less worry compared to us now haha.



so not to worry too much! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

 


I dunno why I will leak colustrum when I poo!

Yesterday I was concentrating on pooing when I saw water drops on my tummy.

And to my surprise it was coming from both my nipples. It is the first time I leaked so much that they come in big drops!

What a waste.. hahaha… I even asked my hubby if he wanted some “moisturizer” to apply on his dry face. LOL

 
So, maybe my BB is not that big afterall. Then maybe still can indulge in durian buffet. Haha!! But hoh my tummy look so big... BB also occupy almost the whole tummy. So quite tough to say too.

 
Sweetkiss: Won't la.. sure can slim down one. Sometime i felt like asking my gynae.. if i do C-sec, can suck out the fats from my tummy at the same time. Haha!!

 
haha! ya lor.. if can then good ah~ hee!!! cos i already have tummy before preg.. last time cant eat too full when i wear tight fitting clothes or else my tummy fats will show~~ (i go buffet must wear babydoll dresses one) so one gd thing abt getting preg is i can eat a lot and let my tummy show..

 
Ann,

LOL! you're so funny



ultrasound baby weight,

hmmm...so there's hope my baby may not be as big as gynae said she wd be



Jaclyn,

can understand how your friend felt but then what if the weight was really as predicted? so it's hard to say. anyway, even if baby's small but labour is too long and baby's in distress, gynae will advise for c-section oredi

 
ATOMICKITTEN



Dont worry or think too much, just think of seeing your CUTE BB face to face soon!!



BE a positive & Happy Mum!

 
jaclyn

i agree - a colleage of mine said scan showed baby is 3.2kg but in the end was 3.9kgs! looks like can fluctuate quite a bit with large variance of error leh

 
wateraine - I had asked my gynae regarding the Strep B test... he told me is not neccessary leh....cos the infection will come & go... so one moment u may be tested positive then next u might be tested negative...

 
talking abt strep B test... i gotten my result back yesterday, and is negative.. i dunno if is impt to test.. but i know of a online friend, her bb got the infection from the mom because she is strep B positive, the her bb had to stay in NICU for quite sometime.

 
AtomicKitten: My bb is 2.4kg at Week 35 & 4 days. Very similar to Springleaf and not too far from yours. Gynae said this is the normal weight range. Don't worry! Like what the other mummies said, weight by scanning may not be accurate. My nephew came out 4 weeks early at 2kg. Have to stay in ventilator but now strong & healthy. BB will catch up later on.

 
re: massage

natural birth mommies can give it a go 2-4wks after delivery. c-sect mommies can go after 2mths. remember, ur wound must be completely healed before u go for massage if not, you wound may split and organs may rupture... it's very dangerous.

 
hi jellypurin,i have booked a malay massage lady 2 mths ago..she told me if natural delivery can go for massage after 5 days,wheareas C-sect have to wait 13-14 days..

so actually can massage after 5 days?

 
AK -- dun worry too much.. cause bb weight will pick up de..we can cont to feed baby well when bb is out.. as for ur hubby, jus ignore. they wouldnt understand as much as we do. hear no evil, see no evil and stay positive. it will help tremendously in ur pregnancy de.



Emergency C sect and actual birth weight -- actually the birth weight will vary, but if bb is full term, delivery shud be ok. as for emergency c sect, i feel that doctors will do what is necessary according to the facts and numbers given by the tecnology.. their job is to make sure baby and mommy is well and not take any risk.



imagine, at the moment of delivery, they only got few mins to act and if they choose the wrong thing to do, it might distress the bb and cause harm to baby and mommy. then who is to blame?



my friend was delivering and suddenly the CTG couldnt detect heartbeat so went for emergency c sect. and guess what? it was because bb's hands were covering her heart and CTG couldnt detect. but it was the right thing for doctor to do that, cause she didnt want to the take risk.



as long as bb can come out safely, anything is worth it. its no longer about how bb come out liao, its about her well being after comes out..



losing weight after birth -- i put on 11 kg during birth and after delivery i lost it. mommies, bear in mind that the bloaty look we are having now might be due to water retention and it will go away after delivery. c sect or not, it doesnt really matter. its how fast your body can recover after natural/c sect delivery. massage helps me to reduce even more. eating right too! i remember i cut down on carbo like rice and drink the soups more. as for red dates drink, i told MIL not to put in any sugar and jus boil with red dates and it also helps.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

 
Regarding Maternity Leave for contract basis, I emailed to MOM and got their reply (they are very efficient!)



"If an employee is employed under a fixed term contract which spells out a specific end date, any maternity leave payment due to the employee will only be paid up to the end of the contract. All benefits will cease after the employee has left employment unless the contract was renewed by the employer.

There will be no maternity leave payment after the expiry of the contract."



Which also means that if my company does not renew me, i do not get full maternity payment.



I still think this is quite unfair, what if some companies want to cut costs so they start terminating employees whose maternity leave start dates falls near to contract end date?



So for people working under 1-yr contract basis, unless they are already pregnant when they signed the contract, there is always a risk of losing the maternity leave benefits and their job.

 
Sweetkiss -- oh no.. so have u tried to speak to ur boss about ur renewal? better dont drag cause they will normally drag with u.. and u still gotta submit the papers for ML to the company...

 
Serene: Actually my boss came to speak to me yesterday and at the same time did my appraisal.

For my company, usually for first year all staff is employed under contract basis. Second year onwards they will convert us to perm staff.

My boss said that he will speak to the upper management to renew me, but for my case still on another year of contract.

A bit sad cos perm staff has better benefits, but I have no choice but to accept the terms.



I think he is afraid that after renewing me and when I am back from ML, I might resign after a while.

He said that if it happens, it is very hard for him to explain to upper management since he was the one who requested to renew me.

So he actually asked if I will stay committed in this job. Of cos I said yes, if not I’ll lose everything…

But frankly speaking it’s really hard to predict ma, I am a first time mum so how would I know my ability to cope with a baby as a FTWM?



So i conclude that my co is not a pro-family environment.

All the bosses are males, all the staff are young. I am the only one who is pregnant here.

No friendly places for pumping.

Even my Jap colleague, who has a 2 month old baby, has to be posted to work here for a year!

So sad rite.. going to miss witnessing all the milestones of his baby’s development.

 
sweetkiss -- i think ur boss is being fair too.. accept it lor.. tell him instead of 1 year, can put to 6 mth, also give u time? haha.. but i think its a good decision la..



normally, first 6 mths after bb is born, u will have thoughts of giving up working but later part like after a year, once u get used to it, then u will be more committed to ur job.. so 1 year is a good time frame to re adjust also

 
mommies.. im bored!! haha..



jus realise how broke i am now after setting aside $ for delivery, bb arrival and some confinement stuff... bored......

 
Thanks, Keropi. Be seeing doc next wk and see how. Doc didn't say anything abt the test, and i'm in 32 wk now.



Next appt gotta do blood test again.

 
Sweetkiss (sweetkiss): are you in a MNC or SME company? I find that SME companies are usually not v pro-family. sigh just have to bear with it though. So if you extend your contract for another year, would u still be entitled for the 4 mths maternity?



Re weight of baby, my firstborn was scanned at 3.1kg at 38week. but when he was out a day later, his weight was 3.5kg! So it can also mean that the actual weight is higher than the scanned one.



Sito: I went through Epi C section for my firstborn and will be doing the same for this baby. I prefer Epi over GA so my hubby and I can witness the birth, and also you wont get drowsy and can breastfeed baby straightaway once he's out. My boss had GA C section twice for her 2 daughters and in the end, she said she woke up feeling so painful and didnt have time/strength to check out her baby.



I guess the healing period is the same for both Epi and GA. infact i started walking on the 2nd day so that i will get used to the pain when I discharged. By the 2nd week postpartum, I could move around easily. I did not have any massage lady but I managed to lose all the weight and flabby tummy by the 2nd month. You have to get a corset to support your tummy after your c section though otherwise the excess skin/tummy will go over your c section wound which can be painful.

 
Thanks serene...



Ya i am broke too. Especially after the car accident, need to fork out $ to pay for repairs my hospitalization bills. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

 
carol

i wouldnt do so quickly but if you are comfy, then go ahead cos i wouldn't. rather spend time knowing my baby and get healed properly down under...

 
Hi,



Wld like to check anyone buying dry shampoo for use during confinement. Coz i think my MIL will not allow me to wash my hair everyday. i hav oily scrap, dun think can tahan if not washing. heard that this is an alternative. anyone knows where to buy and any recommendation?



thks

 
just got back to office from Parkway East Hospital to see a colleague’s newborn baby. the baby's very cute, very chubby. at her last scan, baby's weight was 2.9kg; came out 3.2kg. her's is #2, induced, natural with epi. labour was 4 hrs



she's in a single bedder. the room is a bit small but very cosy and nice – brand new coz they just renovated



this month alone, i have 3 colleagues giving birth, all girls. i'm next [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

 
Sweetkiss,

your boss seems like a nice person. he could have not renewed your contract. just accept the renewal first - at least you get to enjoy the maternity benefits and still be paid

 
Hi all,



I'm also a July 2010 MTB too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]



remember to collect the pre-birth kit from any library [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]





[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4096426.jpg]

 
yes, agree, Minibean .. scan can be lower than actual weight of baby as well. can be higher or can be lower. not very accurate

 
if u are collecting before delivery, bring gynae appointment card



if u are collecting after delivery bring child's birth cert [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

 
Atomic >> My heart goes out to you. Must be pretty tough enduring the emotional ups and downs from husband's behavior during this period. If its possible, have a good chat with him before baby's arrival. Discuss on what both your expectations are of each other as parents going forward. Hear what he has to say and how he feels about being a dad. Be calm and stay strong gal. Baby needs a happy mommy and daddy = )

 
Hi ladies.



Just back from my pedicure session. Feel so good to pamper my feet again and this time round, hubby is paying. Haha!!



knottsy: Thanks for the information. I think I will go collect too although I dunno what that is. Haha!! Wonder which is the nearest library to orchard.

 
Hi all - How's lunch for those who went to the dim sum? Good?



Jul 2010 SMH Playground updates - Now, we have 26 mommies on the list.. Hee.. Wonder if all turn up, how would it be? LOL!!! 1 baby wail X 26.... Anyway, I have updated & added new mommies to the list.. Pls chk your mailbox.. Spam emails too.. :p

 
Hi all.. thanx for your encouragement! I shall juz do my best.. to eat n still watch sugar intake! Last night, I had steak for dinner. today I ve steak for lunch Wow... I think the next 2 weeks will be the "best" of my preg journey in terms of food intake! Havent really "feast" for a long time.. I dun care if i put on too much weight liao coz 2 weeks left only. hehee



Btw hor.. I asked gynae yesterday.. "are all these stretch marks?" pointing to the skin around my totally stretched-out n bruised looking button... she said yes..and went on to touch the bottom part which isnt visible to me. She said my tummy very "dimpled".. all bcoz of water retention and she said I have to do alot of toning after giving birth..

 
wow think by next week.. there will be mothers popping le! So exciting! I'm looking forward to all the birth stories and seeing all the newborn babies picz leh!



keer : Wow the playgroup is getting big! How to find a place to accommodate so many mothers n babies! hopefully by then, my memory will be better coz must remember mummy's name, baby's name and match the correct mummy to the correct baby! hee..

 
Pris: You all had a good lunch! I missed dim sum! wow it must be such a sight.. seeing all the very preg mummies enjoying tim sum tog! so cool ..hehehe got take photos or not?

 
ladies, i feeling confused now.. BH is occurring every 10 mins.. dunno is false symptoms or real contractions.. because no pain at all..

 
Atomic kitten, yup dim sum was yum! We ordered so much food, but miraculously not too much leftovers, haha. At 1 point I thought we'll have to go home with doggie bags.

It was so nice to meet all the mummies.

 


MINIBEAN



thanks for your advice on EPI C Section.





My previous child was under GA C Section, long recovery & painful thats why I have phobia on GA C section.





After a day of consideration & discussion with my hb, I've decided to choose EPI C Section to be done next Tues or Wed





Thank you all mummies for your advice & valuble feedbacks!

 

Back
Top