(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

carol, thanks! if no promo, same package is more than $250, right + 5 prints (i think)? for the promo, do they give any hardcopies?

ica, if no promo is $268 for 5 copies..

i not sure abt hard copy wor..

last time my sil got $188 for 2 hours session including parents, 1 8R hardcopy n $250 to get back all the copies ..aiya, we should sign up in last year bb fair..

Carol: it is definitely cheaper to buy for the long run but these bulky toys take up space. For me storage space is a big issue. So I decided to rent and pay $200 plus over 4 to 5 mths and BB get diff toys each mth. I only rent the bulky toys. For small toys, I prefer to buy them coz renting not worth it.

Looks like Sean lau's promo more ex this year. Glad that I signed up last year. My package same as your SIL's (got 5 pcs of 5R hardcopy as well, 8R one come with frame).

carol, ya lor. haha. actually i went to the baby fair in expo last year, around sep/oct and passed by sean lau's booth. i thot no need lah and walked away.

hello all,

I received an email from Nestle saying they also receive another sponsor request from "JAsmine" but the bash in on 9th July... anyone organising another bash on the 9th?????

vernie, too bad that time i don't know who is Sean Lau, so no choice, now have to sign up with more expensive price [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

btw, anyone get activity table or similar toys for ur bb?

I think the link given by ica is cheaper than dearbaby store..

valerie, i have. yoplait baby - she loved it. 1st tub didn't add anything. subsequent tubs, i added fruit puree - more puree than yogurt

Hi mummies.

Quite a busy day in the office. Having my lunch cum tea break now so decided to drop in and read your postings.

Yesterday night, I went to in law house for dinner and to fetch Kayden home. When he saw me, he was so happy that he crawl quite fast towards me. He was crawling on all fours. Last Thursday, he was not even able to crawl on fours but yesterday, he was crawling quite well. I was so proud of his improvement. I told hubby that our boy is growing real fast. Just a few days and he changed.

One of his lower front teeth had pierced through his gum and one is still making it's way through. I am so glad that he is not affected by it in anyway. No fever, no loss of appetite, no grouchiness, no crying in the middle of the night. I hope he continues at ease with growing of teeth.

One thing I don't like is him making the "Hmm Hmm" sound. It sounded like he is going to poop but he is not. I dunno why he keep making that sound. Very irritating to me. When i told him No.. he will stop awhile and do it again. I think he see it as fun.

I think Sean Lau is promoting his new toddler studio (studioplay), so their baby package more ex now.

JP: You mentioned before u got a good deal for your toddler? After my shoot last Sat, they ask me to consider their toddler package for the next shoot. I think $168 including parents.

Ica,thanks. I shall try it soon also[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

There is also another organic one, Yobaby.

Playyard: Now he is starting to grab on to furnitures like sofa, side of cot, table, etc and pull himself up to stand and walk abit. I think it is time to buy a playyard to confine him in. Mummies, any reccomendation? I need a 6pcs play yard but dunno to get 1 or 2 activities panel.

Rent Toys: I rent toys for Kayden, esp big toys like exersaucer and jumperoo. My house don't have much storage space and Kayden don't play long with these toys. So for me, not worth to buy. I normally rent from Singapore Toy Rental (their toys are very new), Rent That Toy and Toy Rental World (Great varieties of toys).

xbeanniex: I think the package can be transferred ba. I have seen pple selling their packages before at the WTS section of SMH.

Yogurt: Anyone knows where got sell the baby yogurt? I went NTUC @ AMK Hub yesterday night and it wrote "Temporary Out Of Stock". I think I might have to go down to Marketplace liao. Why NTUC don't stock more? The maid told me that Kayden loved the yogurt alot.

thanks xbeaniex.. that's sure lots of things can put in ar... heheheh~~ heavy is one thing.. usually i take bag de.. than after awhile hubby will auto carry.. unless the bag is too girly.. if not he will help.. hahahhaah~~~

Hi mommies,

anyone's baby sleeps through the night? Just read on baby center a good training tactic we can try called the "ferber" tactic... will paste here:

I'd like to give the Ferber method a try. How do I do it?

First, wait until your baby is physically and emotionally ready to sleep through the night, usually between 4 and 6 months of age. Ferber doesn't designate a precise age at which to begin his technique, since it can vary so much depending on the child.

If you're not sure whether your baby's ready, you can always give it a try. If you encounter too much resistance, wait a few weeks and try again.

Step 1

Put your baby in his crib when he's sleepy but still awake.

Step 2

Say goodnight to your child and leave the room. If he cries when you leave, let him cry for a predetermined amount of time. (See "How long should I leave my child alone?" below.)

Step 3

Go back into the room for no more than a minute or two to pat and reassure your baby. Leave the light off and keep your voice quiet and soothing. Don't pick him up. Leave again while he's still awake, even if he's crying.

Step 4

Stay out of the room for a little bit longer than the first time and follow the same routine, staying out of the room for gradually longer intervals, each time returning for only a minute or two to pat and reassure him, and leaving while he's still awake.

Step 5

Follow this routine until your child falls asleep when you're out of the room.

Step 6

If your child wakes up again later, follow the same routine, beginning with the minimum waiting time for that night and gradually increasing the intervals between visits until you reach the maximum for that night.

Step 7

Increase the amount of time between visits to the nursery each night. In most cases, according to Ferber, your baby will be going to sleep on his own by the third or fourth night — a week at the most. If your child is very resistant after several nights of trying, wait a few weeks and then try again.

How long should I leave my child alone?

In his book, Ferber suggests these intervals:

* First night: Leave for three minutes the first time, five minutes the second time, and ten minutes for the third and all subsequent waiting periods.

* Second night: Leave for five minutes, then ten minutes, then 12 minutes.

* Make the intervals longer on each subsequent night.

Keep in mind that there's nothing magical about these waiting periods. You can choose any length of time you feel comfortable with.

--------------------------

Practical tips for trying a CIO (cry-it-out) method from parents and experts

* Set the stage for success before you try a CIO method by developing a bedtime routine and sticking to it. For example, a bath, a book, a lullaby, then to bed, at the same time every night. This way your child knows exactly what to expect.

* Develop a solid plan and make sure you and your partner are prepared before you begin sleep training — both practically and emotionally.

On the practical side, it's probably not a good idea to launch your sleep plan if your partner is about to take off on a business trip, for example, or if your in-laws are coming for a visit.

On the emotional side, talk the plan over with your partner and make sure you both understand and agree on how to proceed. That way you'll be able to support each other if you run into rough patches.

* Once you launch your plan, stick to it. Parents who've been through sleep training agree that consistency is the key. Unless you realize that your child simply isn't physically or emotionally ready and you decide to put the program on hold for a while, follow through with it for a couple of weeks. When your baby wakes you up at 2 a.m., you may be tempted to give in and hold or rock him, but if you do, your hard work will be wasted and you'll have to start over from square one.

* Plan to lose a little sleep. Begin the CIO method on a night when it won't matter if you miss a little sleep. For example, if you work all week, you might want to start on a Friday night, so you'll be able to catch up on lost sleep by the time Monday comes around.

* Prepare yourself for a few difficult nights. Hearing your baby cry can be excruciating, as every parent knows. During the waiting periods, set a timer and go to a different part of the house, or turn on some music, so you don't have to hear every whimper. As one BabyCenter parents says, "The first couple of nights could be rough for you. Try to relax and know that when it's all over, everyone in your household is going to sleep more easily and happily."

* Make it a team effort. During waiting periods, do something enjoyable with your partner, like play cards or listen to music. If you find the crying intolerable after a while, let your partner take over so you can take a walk or a warm bath. When you're refreshed, you can give your partner a break.

* Adapt the method to fit your family. If you want to try a method like this but find it too harsh, you can use a more gradual approach. For instance, you can stretch out Ferber's seven-day program over 14 days, increasing the wait every other night rather than every night. Remember your primary objective: To give yourself and your child a good night's rest.

---------------------------

I must say the tactic is great for those that are staying alone with their baby, and not so great for those that aren't. I know if baby starts crying for an extended period of time.. theres plenty of ppl that will rush into my room to find out whats wrong. Soooooo....quite hard for me to execute =(

*can't wait for the day G sleeps on his own especially now that he is getting heavy!!*

Hi mummies,

I'm from oct 2010 thread.

Would like to find out if any of u following the gina ford routine? Would mind sharing?

I just started trying for my boy now that he's almost 5 mths. He still wAkes up many times at night leh.

Care to email me to discuss?

My email address is [email protected]

Would really appreciate any help n advice.

Pillow: yeah, the minced chicken can be swallowed easily by my bb.

peanut: I am still using cloth to wipe bb's teeth. But I have a fingerbrush and first teeth toothpaste, have nt used. Any idea if first teeth toothpaste is gd..?

Beannie: Your hubby good leh, mine if outside, only wanna carry bb or push pram. lol. He also bathes your gal right? hands-on? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

bb eating yogurt:

How much does your bb eat at one setting? The left over can store in fridge till next day?

Hi Jaclyn, I tried the Ferber method on my boy before, when he was younger - he will cry very loudly for 10 min, then get tired liao - and my hubby will then carry/rock him for a while and he will go sleep soundly. Agree it is hard to do... i had to explain to mil first before we try that so she will be worried.

Another friend did that for her boy too - 1st night cried for 45 min, 2nd night 10 min, 3 night less and then always goes to sleep on his own. But will be seem tia lor when they cry.

Mummies, now that bb is 8mths old already, how many times of solids are you feeding your bb? I am still feeding twice- lunch and dinner, plus 4 times milk feed (each milk feed is abt 180ml). His solid per intake is 1 pigeon bowl of cereal + fruit/veg puree or porridge.

Snacks will give sometimes but v little cos he is on the chub side.

Hi all, jus read the ferber method. I used that too and it works for me. I only let my boy cry for 1 nite for 30mins and next nite he will sleep on his own.

Any method to teach them self entertainment so that I can do my things. And also how to let Bb sleep thru the nite??

Oh ya, yesterday I bought the baby yogurt at the NTUC at square 2. Seems like normal NTUC also selling it now.

We used the Ferber cry it out method when E was 7.5 mths old. First night he cried for 45 mins and subsequently duration is shorter. Over 2 weeks he can now go to sleep on his own after the last night feed at abt 9pm. At times he may whine a little for 10 mins but it's not crying/wailing. In the day time we just put him into his cot when he shows signs of sleepiness. We will leave the door slightly ajar so that he cannot see anybody walking around.

Prior to sleep training him, he had to be carried and rocked to sleep, sometimes lasting for almost 45mins. We decided on this method after hubby came back from reservist and said his camp mates all used this method successfully so we decided to try it.

If you really intend to do so, you must be hard hearted cos it's definitely painful to hear the little one crying. If there are old folks at home you must tell them abt it and not to "rescue" baby when he cries.

We find that now he can sleep better and he knows how to go back to sleep despite waking up in the middle of the night. He will stand up in his cot, move around but he doesn't cry. Then he goes back to sleep. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

It's a decision that I always thank my hubby for.

charlie: yup... my HB showers bb gal at times ... especially weekends... I do want my gal to bond with his daddy thou i may dislike my ILs...

About this method to place bb sleep at night.

I used this too... I ignore totally to anyone but focus on my BB only. Includes my ILs, my parents, I lock the door.

Jaclyn: After reading the Ferber method, I am so tempted to give it a try!

Hmm.. I must discuss with hubby to bring bb A back to my place and we tc of him for 1 week, coz my parents can never leave him to cry! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Min: lolx... have to over come this one... my parents also cant bear to let my BB C cry... but I tell them off... telling them if I dont teach now, will they teach on my behalfs not... and if 1 day BB is notti will they admit they are the one that started all that... then my parents will retreat away to let me teach my BB C myself.

never tried ferber - tried another method which seemed to work very well with my bub -

Introduced a more elaborate bed time routine -

1) Wipe down

2) Give a bottle of milk

3) Talk about our day / tell a story

4) Place him in cot and sing him a song while patting

5) Leave the room

Started introducting this when he was ard 4mths and almost immediately he was able to fall asleep on his own. Sometimes he would make noise n fidget but i'd juz ignore him.

Naps were alot more difficult as supposedly they are controlled by different parts of the brain. I still do a routine for naps - darken room slightly, drink some water, sing a song - And now, almost always he will sleep on his own when he is @ home. So much so that on the odd days that he cries and resist, I have no idea and no patience to coax him to sleep!

But yes, it is impt for them to learn to sleep on their own (and without sleep prop), so that if they wake up in the middle of the night, they will know how to fall back to sleep on their own too.

SLeeping through the night - I read that it is OK for babies to continue waking up for feed until ard 9months. I figure its cuz by then, they have an established solids routine which allow them to 'last the distance'...

babycoco & peanut: Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will try Cold Storage Taka today for the baby yogurt. Hopefully they still have stock.

charliebrown: My boy can finish 1 serving of the baby yogurt at one go. Now he only drink 3 feeds of 180ml milk. He eats quite abit during a day. Breakfast (milk), morning break, lunch, tea break (fruit puree and milk), dinner & supper (milk).

Sleeping: My boy seems to be sleeping longer these two days. On Monday, he slept from 10pm till 5am and give him pacifier and he slept till 6.30am. Yesterday, he slept from 9.30pm till 5.30am and give pacifier and slept till 7.15am this morning. Of course, he has a dreamfeed at 10.30pm. But at least he doesn't wake up at 2am & 4am for pacifier anymore. Think it is quite a big improvement. Hope he can continue to sleep longer. But then putting him to sleep is the harder part now. He takes longer to be coax to sleep.

baby sleeping thru the night: mine is sleeping thru the night without us having to resort to any methods. really blessed. she did wake up once or twice in the night, so we just gave her water. now no more waking up [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] she's teething now but still ok - no waking up in the night. can see 2 white lines on her lower gum

CB, this is what my girl's having:-

- cereal + 50ml vege puree. she takes 6-7 tablespoons of cereal

- porrridge + carrots. just started and we're using brown rice.

- also fruit puree and 2 rice cakes when we're having dinner

- milk intake 500-600ml a day

she can finish 1 tub of yoplait baby yogurt. if it's with fruit puree, she takes about 2/3 of the tub.

Ann, I'm also having diffculty putting H to sleep at night. it's like she'll show signs of sleepiness but once put on her cot, wah! she's energised. but these past 2 days it was back to the good old days - last feed, sing a song, pat-pat, sleep...hope this continues. Daytime naps are a breeze - just plonk her into her cot, leave the room, go back in and she's sleeping soundly oredi. but the good thing is she doesn't wake up at nights any more. can sleep from 9.30pm to 7.30am

oh, i read the baby whisperer - she says that if you are still dreamfeeding at this stage, to stop oredi. slowly increase the volume of K's daytime feeds

Sleeping

I never pat my boy sleep for months.

All I did is to let him play, move around his playmat and when time is up

(around 8+) I bring him to bed or yaolan, will cover his face with bolter and he will "kiap" it

and auto sleep, everyday is the same routine

But at times he dun wan.. he want some milk before sleeping..

Then i give a bit and he will sleep after that.

Ya, like what ann said, BB J at times ask for milk at 2.30/4am, and then he will sleep again.

Will ask him to wake up at 6.30 to get ready for IFC.

Ica: Kayden doesn't drink much during daytime lei... now give him 180ml, he also dun finish.. always leave 50ml like that. Now he feed himself so maybe that could be the reason why he keep leaving 50ml for us.

Communication: Kayden is better in communicating now I think. At the lift, I will ask him "Kayden, press lift for mummy".. he will stick out his little finger and try to press the lift button. But he still need to be guided to press it. In the lift I will tell him "Press 12 to go Ye Ye house".. he will stick out his finger again and go upward close to the number 12. If going home, I will ask him "Press 1 for mummy". His little finger will go downward near #1. This morning in the car, I ask him "Kayden, are you happy today".. he responded "Hmmm" nice and soft. I ask him "Do you love mummy & daddy".. he squealed in delight. I ask him "Do you love Viki & Sylvia (my dogs)".. he keep quiet and look at me with no answers. Haha!!! Daddy say he dunno who Sylvia & Viki is because I never use their names in front of him.. I always call my dogs "Jie Jie & Mei Mei" infront of Kayden.

Self Feeding: Now Kayden will hold his own milk bottle and drink milk on his own. But he still like me to carry him when he drink milk. Sometime he will drink on his own on the mattress or play mat. This morning I give him a xiao man tou snack to eat and he can put it into his mouth on his own. I was shocked. 2nd time, I purposely placed the xiao man tou in his palm to see how he is going to transfer into his mouth. He close both hands together and transfer from left palm to right hand fingers and put into his mouth. See liao so happy. He is developing quite abit lo.

Hi Ann - That's cute. Kayden is really smart. Maybe I should also try to let B press the lift button soon. Yest, I try to pass the melts to B to eat with his own hands. He has a hard time taking that to his mouth. End up, I feed him. Haha.

Yest, my adventurous MIL feed B frog legs. Omg. I almost faint.

Charliebrown: My son eats 2 solid meals a day plus a small snack inbetween for example a tub of yogurt (ya he finishes the whole tub)

However he is rejecting milk now so I've stopped that snack and give milk instead.

I know some mommies say we should stop DF now, but DF is really the only way I can feed my son his milk without him turning his head away or pushing the teat out of his mouth !

Making Porridge: Yesterday a few of us mommies had lunch and we were discussing about porridge. This is how I make mine ... (tastes so good I can eat the leftovers anytime!)

It might be alittle troublesome, but for me i'm still happy making it hehe!

Ikan Bilis Powder: I have two kinds in the fridge, one is white bait, the other is the small ikan bilis. Take note that if making ikan bilis powder from scratch, you must remove head and stomach and soak them. After washing them, be sure to dry them and then put into the oven. If no oven, can use those small toaster ovens, if don't have just pan fry without oil. It should turn crispy after awhile (no fix timing cos it depends on how big ur ikan bilis is, but u can eyeball it.. meaning u can see and tell for urself when its turning crispy). After that use a grinder and voila.. powder that can last u for quite awhile. I store into two seperate containers and put into the fridge.

Next I make chicken stock (or whatever stock you feel like doing.. for now i've only tried chicken). I use 1 or 2 chicken breasts (with the bone in for more taste), and cook a pot of soup with it. As I am not willing to let G try onions etc yet, I've not put them in.. however you may as well as other ingredients (really its up to you).

I boil down for about 1-2 hours then I remove the chicken and cool the stock. Here a tip from Pris:

store the chicken stock in ice cubes and freeze them. After that take them out and put into ziplock bags (those freezable kind). Then take out however many cubes you want, boil them and I'll throw 1/4 cup rice plus chicken stock into the slow cooker (i bought for $40). Btw, I cook mine overnight. Sometimes i'll throw in big chunks of chicken breast for more taste and then either I eat or my helper will eat the meat haha!

Next morning it is all ready! I normally add in the ikan bilis powder (1 teaspoon of each) into his porridge just before serving , however you can also add it into the slow cooker to cook.

With this method you can also add in the veges that you want .. totally up to you!

Mommies do share your porridge strats!!! =D

*At the point of this post, I am eating G's leftovers hahaa!*

Keer: Ya.. you should try with your bb and you might be surprised. I got my surprises from him. Just a trip to thailand and back, and I get many surprises from him. Haha!!

Frog legs are really too adventurous though they taste nice. Haha!!

Porridge recipe: Not much recipes.. I just throw in anything I can find in the frigde. Haha!!

1) Scallop & carrot / potato / sweet potato

2) Pork meat with silverfish (might add in vege puree)

3) Fish porridge

4) Chicken porridge (might add in vege puree)

Jac - Thanks for sharing Ferber CIO method, really tempted to try too. Baby B is waking up 2-3 times every night even though he's already 8 months old. It's too tiring for me & my husband. Really envy you mummies whose babies can sleep through the night. When will I see the light?? Haha..

Ok, shall try the CIO method, feed water instead of milk method, feed him more milk during the day...

sleeping through the nite: i think i'm quite lucky that K started to sleep thru the nite without milk, just 1 week before my ML ended. i was worried she will be hungry so i tried to latch her at 5-6am but slowly she rejected my breast.. so no more nite feeds.

as of nw, she will sleep by 900pm. i used to carry & rock her to sleep but again, as she grows older she doesnt want me to! at 830pm i will put her in her cot with all the lights off, only a small nite light. then acc her by singing, playing, and she will roll & flip till she is tired. recently she enjoys lying on my chest to zzz. the most effective way to let her slp (if she's still active by 9pm) is to put her inside the sling. once in a while i have to use that.

she still has 5 feeds a day, 200ml every 3 hrs with 2 solids. but her last feed will be between 11-12am & she wakes up at 730am.

i am now training her to hold her own bottle and she can do tat but the last 50ml has to be fed by me! maybe coz she dunno hw to tilt the bottle so she couldnt suck the milk.

Keer13: Hahaa no prob cos I think this is a problem all of us are facing (except some lucky few *super envy!!*).

However I dont think I can try this method unless I can get my hubby to talk to my MIL about it.. I have quite a few others staying with me so I will be disturbing all their sleep... hell hath no fury like my son when he is crying his loudest

Hi Mummies!

Been busy so had been a bit slow in posting my query/response...

Like to check if u ladies let ur babies self feed w porridge/cereals or still feed them? Noticed it can be quite messy w his food 'flying around' when my baby 'I' tried to hit/take his spoon from me.

Carol: Rented toys from Toy Rental World too & their service is quite good. Do agreed w most mummies it might be better to rent bulky toys than purchase them & babies get sick of them fast. My baby get sick of his jumperoo now when it's not even 2 mths yet! He tried various exersaucers, swing & bouncer already. Moreover, babies their age hated to be 'trapped' inside. He had progressed from playing it inside to outside of his jumperoo...

Back