(2009/11) November 2009 MTB

Cljl,

You can buy those electric thing at those 'Home Fix' stores. Just plug it into the power socket. But my boy always want to rip it off. Ha! Alternatively, we bought those mosquitoes repellent stickers and stick them on this cot at night.

kanelmo, thanks! I have the electric socket one.. but no use.. still kana bitten by mos... I also have those stickers.. but is it gd to stick on them everyday?

Good morning Mummies,

Re:GUG classes, I feel they are quite slack cos business so good. Call them ( the suntec branch) during office hours its answering machine. Left message about enquiry on classes, they didnt even return call.
I like to know how they charge for each session or is it per term.
sad.gif

cljl: i use those mosquitoes repellant tag that you can tie on the kid's leg but i tie it around her cot, play area or stroller instead of on her leg. seems to drive the bugs away, no bites so far.

cljl, yes those homefixit stores sells them! but my colleague who bought said its not effective at all!

eastgal, if u go for trial class, its abt 50 bucks a session... per term its abt $354, one term is 2 mths...

Adelynn, thanks! r those tag abt the same as stickers?

sporty, I bought 2 lo.. also no use.. i always get bites too.. duno isit fat thats y blood sweeter... hahahaha...

cljl: i feel they work better than the stickers, i started off using the stickers but ended up she still get bitten, switched to the tags (that adults can use too) and bye bye bites

Can i know why to buy the insect repellent tags? Mozzies seem to like babies ah. I using California Baby repellent but worry if can spray on my boy everyday or not.

litt C is currently using honey coloured Pigeon & avent bottles. Recently, i noticed that there's a unusual smell coming from Avent bottle. Once i tried drinking water stored for a few hrs in Avent & the taste is different from normal. Sort of "absorbed" something from the Avent bottle. Now even pigeon bottles has that unusual taste as well. Has any one of u encounter this? what's gg on? I understand that honey coloured bottles are made of PES, instead of PC plastic. Does PES plastic cause this unusual smell & taste? Magmug doesn't have this issue cos it's made of PP plastic. Thinking of changing into PP plastic milk bottle, any recommendations? Heard that Avent is launching PP plastic bottles. wonder if it's out yet.

Re: zoo pass
Employee must be present with proof of evidence working for that company. Maybe it only apply for my company?? So for those who are planning to help get 2 passes, maybe it's not possible to use the 2nd pass..

Hey Rue: I think Avent only has BPA free PP bottles.. PP are those slightly opaque in colour..look abit cloudy rite? My bro using both the PP n PES BPA free ones.. U need to look out when u buy. Alternatively, u can try NUK =) they have PP bottles which me using now. I drink from her bottle too..but so far no smell. Is ures wide neck or standard size. i got one wide neck NUK PP bottle which i used once or twice if u dun mind i can pass to u..That one can fit Pigeon Wide neck teats.

Hi Rue,

I just switched from NUK to "Green to Grow" Bottles. Below is some claims from articles lifted from website. Hope the below info helps mothers with are choosing milk bottles.

Types of Materials and Examples of Brands:

Polycarbonate (PC) - Avoid this!!
- This material releases the most amounts of BPA, avoid even if manufacturer claims that the levels are safe for babies.
- Most brands use this type of plastic unless otherwise labelled
- Colour: Clear
- Typical Brands:
Avent (non-BPAfree ones),
Evenflo (clear bottles, not available in SG)
Gerber Baby Bottles (clear ones only)
Nuk
Playtex (non-BPAfree ones)
Sassy MAM 3-Step Baby Bottles
The First Years Baby Bottles (non-BPAfree ones)
Tuppercare Baby bottles

Polypropylene / Polyethylene (PP) - Quite good
- Not known to leach cancer-causing chemicals (BPA-free)
- Safer alternative
- Slightly less stable than PES at higher temperatures
- Cheaper then PES plastics, more commonly used than PES plastics
- Colour: Milky or Opaque
- Brands (most brands in the market that label their bottles as 'BPA-free' use this material):
Adiri
Evenflo (opaque)
Gerber (coloured)
Pigeon
Medela Bottles
The First Years Cups
Some Tupperware items

PES material - best amongst plastics
- Extremely durable
- Resistant to most chemicals
- Most dimensionally stable over a wide range of temperatures
- Withstands repeated sterilisation
- Intended for repeated use in contact with food
- More expensive than other plastics
- Colour: Honey
- Brands:
Green To Grow
Think Baby
Avent (BPA-free range)

Rue, you may want to try glass bottles. I am using glass bottles for my kids. Pigeon has wide neck bottle. Problem is I think up to 160ml only. So if your girl is a big drinker, you have to buy other brand. Glass surely no smell, but you have to be careful when handling. If slip it will shatter.

I am also using Medela as I am still pumping. Yup, got smell. Even after washing got the bm smell.

Hi hi just to clarify nuk does carry the pp bottles
happy.gif
I m using them... Heeh abit cloudy looking
happy.gif
used to b only wide neck but recently Standard bottles also haf
happy.gif
kiddy palace n robinsons I have seen so far. Alot of stores still sell pc though.. Oh pigeon narrow bottles got large vol le..

Bidosoh: i got mine from this forum under the BP section but this lady has a shop in IMM i tink. I got 2 big and 1 small one for $48. its a little ex but for health reasons long term esp for baby i will buy lor...

Raerae: yes but when i first started using the NUK bottles 9 months ago, my baby likes the fat NUK nipple teats that only the narrow neck could be used. So bobianz I have to buy the PC one but I change bottles every 4 months.

eastgal,
tks for the info. my fren said maybe the baby detergent too diluted so milk smell stays & overtime gt smell. or maybe i did not sterilize those bottles. Nice to kw PES is the best plastic. now more relieved.

raerae,
today my last working day for the yr. I'm gg away for hioliday!! yippy! I dun mind getting the nuk PP bottle from u. next yr ok. will msg u then.

Bidosoh,
thou i have glass bottles at hm, we seldom use them nowadays. Wide bottles easier for litt C to hold. Also easier to scoop milk powder in.
happy.gif
I used to use glass bottles while giving her ebm, easier to warm up.. yes, bm smell will stay, dunno y..

http://www.amazon.com/Luvable-Friends-Swimsuit-for-Girls/dp/B002K8PKTG

I'm selling the following gal 1-piece swimwear, Blue (actually is cyan colour), size 12 mths for $13. Not gaining extra $ from the amt i paid to spree. Impulsive me bought a discounted lifelacer swimwear in parenthood exh for $10. Was told it's meant for 2-3 yr old. But realised my gal can wear it b4 this luvable swimwear arrives. Do not need 2 swimwears for my gal so wanting to let go of this one from amazon.com.
p/s: there's in built diaper in this swimwear

Re zoo pass: good news and bad news. i can only get one pass, the other 3 all booked
sad.gif
i've got a friend whose got a 15 mth old baby who wants to come along. so my pass can enter another 2 FOC.

On bottles. I use the normal Avent bottles leh and havent change since birth! Safe or not ah? Only change the teat..I use pigeon teat but now the teat like gets bit cloudy.

Oh no, should I change bottles? I never knew got PP, PES?? I only see BPA free...confused!

Velo: If i am not wrong it is advised to change at least every 6 months cos if you like me, sterilise the bottles every nite, the plastic is subjected to high temperature...so who knows what will happen with chemicals being released from the plastic over time.

About baby bottles.

That is why I don't sterilize liao. afraid of chemical release. After baby start solid, just need to wash with baby dish detergent and keep in the fridge.

Ohhh...then i need to throw out all the bottles liao. Been using for 1 year already. But like so wasted but then again baby health more important.

Saphira - can keep in fridge ah? No need sterilize? I scare not clean leh as my helper doing all the washing.

Velo,
i juz rinse the bottles with hot boiling water b4 use... been doing this since gal turned 1 year old.. has been ok so far..
happy.gif

personal experience, for my #1, i was kiasu n sterilise bottle till 2 years old... but i realised his immunity very poor... i guess could be due to over sterilising the bottles... so this time round, i go easy on my gal... :p

I stop sterilising bottles for my girl when she turn 7months. Just wash and rinse with drinking water. When she turn 8months completely stop rinsing too. So far she ok. Even my pumps I don't sterilise too. Just wash air dried and use. No issue so far, I find her immunity is better then her brother. I also sterilise til he is 2years old.

Regarding bottles, I only sterilize once per day. Sometimes din even sterilize. I also didn't rinse the bottles with hot water. So far, she's ok.

Bidosoh, u still feeding goat's milk? I'm thinking of buying from an online distributor but need to buy in bulk. Would u be interested to share? I've checked with karihome and confirmed that the online distributor is authorized by them. They have a thread at the BP section.

dingdong, yes my boy is still on Goat's milk. He is taking step 4. Can mix order? My girl is still on BM. Only initial first 2 weeks I use on my girl when my bm supply still not in.

BTW, how much online selling? I can get step 4 at $40 while ntuc selling at $48. I bought from a chinese med hall.

Adelynn, heee.... no regret til now. Both my children are sick after Fidgets. my girl seems to be in better state compared to my boy, even though she is younger. The power of bm.

Hi! I have the following to let go as my girl dun like them...:
1. Eu Yan Sang Brown Rice Cereal (New) - $12
2. Baby Nat Fruit Cereal (New)- $10

Pls pm me if you are interested. Thanks.

bidosoh, i actually going to start work next week. will pump 2x and combine as 1 feeding. another pump will be at home around 5am..
really hope i can survive!!!

funne, my schedule as follows:
6:30am pump
7:30am latch in car for 10 minutes
11:30am pump
5:00pm pump
9:00pm latch
10:00pm pump

Hi mummies

I intend to open a bank acct for my gal, other than the CDA one. Which bank is good?

Re: Zoo pass
I've already booked one pass for 14 Jan and I'm going alone with my gal, can admit 3 more!
happy.gif

Hi,

If you are using contact lens of -7.50 degree, and interested in daily disposable contact lens, pls contact me at [email protected]

I have two boxes of Acuvue for sale and price is negotiable.

Expiry date 2012 & 2013

Thank you!

After dragging my pumps for soOO long, i'm finally hanging up my nursing shawl. Down to 1 pump a day.

PeiPei: I use Citibank Step Up Account for Stevlynn's savings account. Interest rates are slightly better.

Bidosoh: its true that the immunity's slightly better
happy.gif
JiaYou!

hello mummies, i am planning for my gals bday in Janaury. Anyone here has any bday planner to recommend, i m thiking of a barney theme, face painter, ballon sculptor.

any recommend bakery good at baking barney cake?

appreciate if mummies could pm me their recommendations.

thank you.

hello
hows everyone?

velo, i think u better change ur boy's bottle...1 yr same bottle abit too long liao...

dingdong, u still bfing? or stopped liao?

bidosoh, jia you jia you... think u and funne are still going strong!

adelynn, good tha u cut down ur pumps liao...good to get ur life back
happy.gif

peipei, i used stanchart's esaver for the savings account for kids...

bidosoh: havent start thinking about #2 yet, would like to spend some more time with her; preferably until she turns 2 and begins to understand more things.

sporty: ya lor, tmr's the first time in a LONG time i don't have to lug my pump and freezer bag to work. today we were out and i realized the downside of not BF-ing. i needed to lug bottles and frozen BM, freezer bag and hot water out. *sweat man*

adelynn: i saw the yogurt machine at the organic shop @ city square mall before.

sporty: i hope i can tahan lor.. coz tis will be the first time i pump in office. need to bring extra bag to office also. i told my hb i want to get an electric pump. he said no need unless i want to hav #3!! errrrk!

bidosoh: after latch on at 9pm, you still can pump another round at 10pm!! good supply!

sporty, i'm still pumping. but cut down to once every 2 days lo. but my girl's immunity dropped as a result as she can't fully recover from her cold. she will have runny nose occasionally and snores in her sleep due to block nose. felt kind of guilty though.

whow... i guess i need to change bottles liao... haven even change a single bottle ever since she is out lo...

Im still sterilizing once a day... maybe shld nt be paranoid and stop sterilising...

Adelynn, I think yoghurt same as ice-cream. Difference is Yoghurt don't have fats/cream ingredient.

I can teach you a easy way to make home made ice-cream without any machine.

Milk - 200ml
whipping cream (in a box type) - 200ml
Any flavouring, eg chocol/vanilla/durian....
fine icing sugar (easy to mix), can use normal sugar too but need to stir more - 50g
1 sandwich size ziploc
1 large ziploc (buy a good and strong type).
100g of salt and alot of ice.

Put the milk, cream, flavouring and icing sugar into the sandwich size ziploc and mix well. You can taste to be sure not too sweet/blend.

Put the ice fill up 1/3 or 1/2 of the big ziploc and put the salt in.

Then put the sandwich ziploc into the big ziploc and start shaking. Make sure the ice covered the sandwich ziploc. You can use a towel to wrap up the big ziploc as it is very cold. Shake for at least 20minutes until all your mixture harden and become ice-cream.

Back