(2009/11) November 2009 MTB

Adelynn, A very good type of ice cream maker cost about $700. I forgot the brand name. If you want, I can check it out when I reach home.

Forget to mention that you have remove the air above the mixture before you put into the ice ziploc. You glid the ziploc against the edge of the table so that all the air is removed, then zip up the sandwich pack.

funne, my supply is not good, thats why I still pump at 10pm. Only yield at most 2-3 oz both side at that timing. Still pump to add up the bottle. I don't want my supply to continue to drop.

Electric pump is a must if your work is hectic and pressurising. Else manual is ok. However, I find it a very good investment and no regret til now. I was thinking of buying another one to put in my office, so that I don't have to lug anything to and fro even I am only going to just pump another year. Oso I so scare my pump die on me.

Dingdong, you can relactate if you want. Just increase your pumping frequency, you may be pumping nothing initially.

Anyway my girl also down with flu and this is the second week. Started antibiotic last Friday. Very worrying. So bm is also not xian dan.

bidosoh: let me try ur home-made way and see if i can get results from it or not. thanks for the recipe
happy.gif
hmms, $700? fainted

funne: can, ill check it out if bidosoh's alternative way don't work.

dingdong: don't mind me asking, u pump once every 2 days wld u be engorged? and how much do you get from each pump? is it a agar-agar consistent amount or is it declining? Sorry to ask so many questions, am on 1 pump per day am trying to see when i can drag to 2 pumps a day.

Adelynn, if I remember correctly, I dropped to 1 pump per day around 5 dec and then once every 2 days only last week. Supply is consistently declining once I started to pump once per day. I will still feel engorge the initial few days. When I begin to pump once per day, I can fetch about 350 ml. Then dropped to 300 ml, then 200 ml and then 100 ml. It takes about 3-4 weeks. I dont feel engorge anymore so I dropped to once every 2 days. One sad part is: my breast size has shrunk back. No more nice long kang.

Bidosoh, the thought of resuming more pumps makes me shivers. I'm telling myself that my girl needs to build her own immunity and cannot always rely on me. I just went to buy supplements from GNC hoping to improve her immunity. I intend to mix the supplement with plain water hoping that she's more receptive to drinking water since it's a struggle to get her to drink water.

I have 2 x 900g Karrihome goat milk 3-7 yrs old.
Letting go at $35 each, own collection or meet at Somerset.
Expiry 2012 Oct.
Interested PM me

dingdong: okay, then i think i too hard core already. i dropped from 3 pumps a day to 1 pump each day in a span of 4 days. yar, i'm also seeing signs of 'no more nice long kang'.

Adelynn, I went for a ice-cream making course follow by free flow of ice-cream. They taught us the way. Actually really taste nice. I went to the Udders ice cream shop near United sq. Really worth it.

DingDong. Both my kids don't like drinking water initially. However, we always feed them abit after every meal. Other times I don't give water. So slowly they acquired the taste, so I will give water to them other times.

If your girl is eating cereal, they definately would like to sip some water. As usually cereal is sweet and make them thirsty.

My own opinion is don't mix anything in the water. As I have seen children and friends (adults) who don't drink plain water. As their parents are used to putting taste to their water from young.

Also supplement don't really improve their immunity much. Exercise do, bringing them to outdoor playground will increase immunity and also improve their motor skill.

adelynn, youghurt maker can be found at phoon huat. you got free time to make meh? keke.

bidosoh, your kids better now?

peipei, i use NTUC thrift savings and Standard Esaver. but hor, i also not so much of a savings person, spend more than save. wahaha

Hi Ladies =) how's everyone doing for the festive season? Hope all is well battling the dreadful hot n cold weather =( my gal was down with flu last week ..

Peipei: i just use OCBC mighty savers acct =p nv really scout haha coz bought insurances instead that one is die die mUST save..for me better if not i spend spend spend!

Bidosoh: hi hi =) Salute ur 2 yr perserverance! Not sure if u heard of colostrum/DHA supplement ..been scouting around and alot of ppl say good for immunity le ... How come u so cute go ice cream making course..is making it yourself healthier? And how long can u keep if after making it coz no preservatives rite?

Sharing: Jus wan to share this soup link with u all. Has alot of ideas on soups which we can make for our little ones n ourselves. It has quite a range =)

morn all!
wah talking abt long kangs eh? mine like no more liao!!now is changi airport.... kinda sad but ok la, at least not so "heavy" now!! hahah

since bidosoh talking abt #2...saw some mummies preggy with #2 le...congrats!!
happy.gif

anyone trying for #2 or #3 liao?? hahhaa

adelynn, yeah...of cuz latching is the most convenient la! yeah, the feeling of not lugging pump/freezer bag to work is good rite!! hehe... since u pump once every day now, u can either decrease the pump time like from 20 mins to 15 mins to 10 mins then to 5 mins then to 0... thas how i managed to stop lor...

funne, u use a manual pump now to pump in office? wow...peifu!! how's the first week at work?

dingdong, bm is not xian dan la...like what bidosoh say, we have to let them build up their own immunity lor

bidosoh, if ur pump dies on u hor, i can lend u mine la...hahah... my frens always call me at wee hrs to come and borrow pump when theirs broke down :p

mbj, where have u been??!! missed u leh!!

MBJ: haha, no time must also find time lar. She's like a yoghurt addict recently...

sporty: yea, i like the feeling of not lugging the pump/freezer bag to work. Yea, down to 1 pump/day now @ 7AM, but the amount is slowly decreasing.. started from 280ml to now a 200ml and i think its declining more. i'm thinking shld i be hardcore and only pump when i'm engorged

I think no one can be as unlucky as me this December. It is the worst one in my whole life!
Everyone in my family is down with the same bug.
I exhaust my leave within 2 weeks. Very chiam.

adelynn, can also la if u want more hard core...! tha time basically for last few days i had to live with a slight lump on my boob...finally it went away after 1 week but i did try to do abit of hand expressing in the shower (to relieve abit la) after i stopped pumping!

bidosoh, alamak...think weather's not good la...thas why!! hope everyone in ur family gets well soon!! hang on...2011 is coming!!!

sporty, today only 2nd day.. so far so good. managed to pump 2 times to meet the quota.
i'm using manual pump coz only 1 side of my breast is working.. now considering to get electric single pump but i scare of the noise!!

Bidosoh, I'm a paranoid mum mah. Hoping that the supplements can boost her immunity so that she dun fall sick easily. Since it's already bought, I'll just feed her else money wasted.

Sporty, but my mum regard bm as sian Dan leh. She always asks me: today got bm to feed?

Dingdong, i know what it is like. I am a second time mum. Still very kan cheong when both of my children fall sick. Within 2 weeks, i bring my them to see doctor 3 times (separately) and tui na 5 times. I have been through neuberliser, allergies, etc... so I become very very kan cheong. Lucky me, the pd only charge me 1 time consultation. Else I really broke liao.

funne, Actually as long as you can meet the demand of your baby consumption, the schedule is really up to you. For me I wanted to pump some extra for my elder boy. So i have more pumps. However, recently my supply has dropped so much that I can only meet my girl's consumption. No more extra.

mbj, ya my children are better now. So scare to bring them out after that episode. I think I will only consider outdoor. This virus/bacteria is so strong that my hb, myself, both kids, mil and nephew all kena. My mil is very badly hit, the virus create havoc in her tummy too, stomach flu.

Raerae, I was thinking of learning it so as to make pure ice-cream without all the 'extra' for my kids. Moreover, I love ice-cream, the buffet ice-cream is very worth it. Forgotten how long we can keep the ice-cream. Anyway, the last time I made the ice-cream, finish within the hour.

sporty, thanks for the offer and wishes. How about you, #3 in your plan? I close factory liao. The kids are draining me. Just this virus episode is enough to kill us. I don't have much time for myself anymore. However, I really envy people with newborn. So adorable.

Hello everyone!

Any of ur toddlers is a milk addict? My boy got fever on mon and temp reached 39.8 max so vomited out milk once. After that dare not give him milk so he cry more of for milk than discomfort. Gave him brown rice porridge water thru the night and ling yang once, fever subside within a day. Find brown rice water quite good for fever. Like to know does ur toddler still drinks milk after their solid food?

dingdong: when i was searching for a child care, these were the things i personally looked out for:
- ratio of care takers to children
- caretakers' qualifications
- their daily program/activities (in & out of holiday periods)
- their schedule, like meal times, shower timings,
- their meal plans
- cleanliness of the location
- feedback from parents' whose kids are already with the child care
- convenience of location/flexility towards my working schedule
- costs

bidosoh: i tried ur method & it works! Stevlynn loves the yoghurt, but it was a bit sour (i didnt put much sugar in it haha)

taurus: Stevlynn no longer takes milk after her meals (twice a day; lunch & dinner) since she turned 10 months old. so its either pure milk or solid feeds now.

any mummies giving fresh milk to their toddlers now? I've read that after a year old, can give fresh milk in replacement of FM. As i've weaned Stevlynn off BM she's now taking the reserves of frozen BM; not sure after it runs out should i give FM or fresh milk. any comments?

Mifmif,

My son went to the Little Gym trial class yesterday. He liked it a lot. I think he liked it over Kindermusik. It costs $42.80. You can go to youtube to see videos of the Birds program.

If not classes, I've been to Polliwogs. Mother and son liked it too. Ha!

adelynn,
So when does stevlynn takes her milk? i also want my boy to take entirely solid feed but he's so addicted to milk that he can't live without it. Kept crying for it and only take his porridge till he got no choice.

taurus, any reason why you don't want to give milk? Cos of allergies? I thought it is good to give as milk contain the necessary calcium and iron? Your boy still on bm right?

bidosoh,
Yes allergy is one of the reason but cow's milk seems to make his tempremant change which we experience once. Have wean him off bm cause no more supply. I still want to give him milk but i want to get rid of his addiction. He need to get his nutrients more from solid food than milk. u know seaweed actually contains many times more calcium than cow's milk. I put seaweed in his porridge for calcium.

taurus, have you tried goat's milk? Actually tcm recommend goat's milk, also it is easily digested. I change my son milk to goat also because the tcm (yu guo) we went last time recommended it. Or have you tried organic cow's milk, I have yet to try. Don't know anyone is using it.

Not sure about seaweed. Just know it is high in iodine, too much is also not desirable. So you have to be sure of the amount to use.

Children do have milk adiction, I think it is natural. Since it is actually their first food. Though I know rarely some kids don't like milk but only survive on solid.

One thing i notice from my boy when he is 1-2 yo when he is ill, he don't like to take solid. He only survive on milk for one or 2 days. Even now, when he is ill, he takes milk more than solid. So I think, milk cannot go without. I also noticed this in my girl too.

Mifmif,

Yes, he liked the class at Little Gym.
Polliwogs is $8 for 2 hours on weekends and all day on weekdays. Yeah, it's free play and they have an area for toddlers 3 years and below.

taurus, my girl still drinks lots of milk and i thought it's good to continue the milk feed at this age rather than solely depend on solids.

adelynn, what is considered a good teacher to toddler ratio? i've initially register my girl in my company's childcare centre. good thing about this cc is it's cheap - about $250 per month as it's part of staff benefit and it's located right in my company. but understandably, i can't expect much of their level of services. the teacher to toddler ratio is 1:8. the curriculum isn't that structured. not much enrichment classes. the teachers are like support staff kind of people. they're not very strict on hygiene - i can walk into the cc with my shoes on! and they let the tods watch cartoons from 5pm onwards.

after much deliberation, i decided to source around for another cc. i've visited agape little uni @ serangoon yesterday. it just commenced operations in mid-jul, so almost all the things are brand new. there're two levels - the upper storey (1st floor) is the infant care centre and N1, and the basement level are where the playgroups, other nusery classes and kindergartens held. i guess, the curriculum should be ok. what i'm not very comfortable is the environment since the tods will be at the basement and i wonder how well-ventilated would the place be. if there's a kid whose unwell, wouldn't the germs spread more rapidly? should i not be so paranoid? the facilities look very clean and impressive though. price wise, the principal mentioned that if i register my girl this month, i got to enjoy additional $100 off the monthly cc fees which means $550 per month after govt subsidy? since it's rather newly opened, i can't get any reviews though.

bidosoh,
My girl is one who grew with solid and no milk cause we didn't introduce milk to her after weaning her off bm. i'm following slightly to macrobiotics diet so we used seaweeds. Haven't try goats milk. But his addiction is too strong that he's not very interested in solid food although he still eat but will fuss. So feel is not right. Milk should be a supplement and not the main food as they grow older.

Hi mummies..
I am so stress coaxing lil k to zz. Jus nw coax her to zz since 930pm then she finally zz at 1140pm.
So late.. Tonight us the latest she zz liao.
How to make her zz fast?

Last time used to be 1 Hr to coax now need 2 hrs..

Normally your babies sleep how many times per day?
Mine 2 and each time 1.5 hr. Not too much mah .. Y she cant zz at night. Even the noon zz also need to coax long long then age zz.
So stress!

hello all!

funne, eh what u meant by 1 side of ur breast is working? the other side leh? wow ur gal takes quite little milk eh? juz once at IFC...

dingdong, ya la...mums are very funny pple... last time i pumped until so skinny, she asked me to reduce pumps...then after i reduced pumps, she asked me why so little milk?!! mums hor, very diff to please them!! when do u plan to send Lil C to CC? basically you have to consider the location of the cc (cuz if the kiddo's sick, its easier say, for ur mum to pick up), teacher and students ratio are more or less fixed as its a mcys requirement, the environment of the place and how comfortable are u with the place lor...
if you are ok with the agape, i think maybe u shd go for it first... my #1's cc is aircon, so far he's ok even tho some pple say aircon environment not good and will fall sick easily...he'sonly sick during the inital few mths tha he went...after tha he's ok... i think most important tha is u like the teachers and the environment...

bidosoh, hope ur kids are feeling better already!

taurus, i think milk still an impt part of my kids diet as both of them are milk addict lor! my elder boy still drinks like 2 to 3 times a day! my gal will drink after her solid food also!

adelynn, yes u can give fresh milk after 1 yr old...some of my frens gave UHT milk (those packet kind) to their kids...its all depends on the kid and parent la... i will give FM still as i find it more nutritious

starrz, try to establish a bedtime routine...like 9pm liao, change her to PJs and give her her last feed then off tv/lights... basically everyone in the family must play their part la, cuz if there's still noise or what, it will distract them lor...

Sporty, had establish a bedtime routine since v long time ago. Normally between 845 to 930 pm, will give her last feed n off the lights. Yesterday give her last feed at 930pm n off the lights liao but she refuse to zz till nearly 12mn.

Was thinking of dun let her have her afternoon sleep see tonight she can zz early or not.

tarurus: Stevlynn milk feeds are 630AM (FM), 930AM (BM), 3.30PM (BM) & 930PM (BM). Its natural for toddlers to be 'addicted to milk' afterall its the first food that they take and their primary diet for the most of their 1st year of life. Stevlynn was also like that, refusing to take her feeds until we put a bottle of milk in front of her or promising her the bxxb after she finish. we wean her off by slowly reducing the amount of milk we give her after she finish her solids and replace it with water instead.

bidosoh: i think cuz i use strawberries, that cld have made it even more sour.

dingdong: for me personally, i prefer the ratio to be 1:6 or less(MCYS regulates it to be max of 1:8 i think) . i did also check out the agape lil uni @ serangoon cuz it was near my place. i think generally agape's curriculum/reputation for other locations are quite good, so if they follow the same, the quality shouldnt differ too much (i hope)

starrz: my girl naps twice a day, 1 hour each, sometimes 1.5 hours. she wakes up usually no later than 430PM. i realize the later she wakes up from her nap e later she sleeps. what we do to 'tire' her out is to play with her, do physical activities like going to the playground, play toys, flashcards etc etc... we also go into a routine of sponging her down at about 845PM to indicate to her bed time's near and we leave her to ask for her bottle anytime between 845PM to 930PM (if she dont ask for it, we'll give her her at 930PM. usually by then she'll be yawning and rubbing her eyes so right after milk = bedtime. She'll then 'do her rounds' of saying good night and kisses before we put her in her bed.

sporty: thanks. now that i stopped BF-ing, everytime i give her a bottle of FM, i feel guilty. haha.

Adelynn, thanks!
But how u make her manage to zz n wake before 430pm?
Her morning zz us usually 1030 to 1100am n woke abt 1230. Then noon zz I try to let her zz at 330 but she dun wan zz n drag till 5pm then zz. Maybe she sleep late that y night dun zz. I had trouble making her zz be it day or night n only carrier can make her zz sometimes.
She still duno how to walk if not can make her walk n run n make her tired. Haha.
Your gal is so sweet n smart. Do her rounds of good night..clever gal!

starrz, what did she do when she refuses to sleep? roll ard/crawl ard/walk ard? actually naps are quite impt for their growth...

adelynn, dun feel gulity la! u already did well for feeding for more than 1 yr
happy.gif
ur gal so cute, still make her rounds before she KO, can be future grassroots leader :p

Sporty, she crawl n roll n stand n she keep repeating these stunts. She duno how to walk properly yet.
Now this age still need 2 times nap hor but she dun like to zz leh despite her rubbing her eyes. She can struggle for v long.

starrz: her nap times are 945AM-1045AM & 330PM-430PM. IMO, i think the issue for u lies with the afternoon nap, cuz she takes it too late, cld explain why she's still energetic at 9+. Crawling is also very tiring, i think more tiring cuz they use all 4 limbs. so my parents and helper would play with her; make her 'chase' them so as to 'exhaust the energy' haha, its like a routine from young, she would go to my siblings and my parents n helper and wave bye bye, say 'nye nye' (which i think is night night) and hug and kiss. but it works as a cue for her to know that its bedtime as well.

i dont think u shld skip the nap totally, you may end up with a very tired and grouchy baby before 930 and they still need their nap times. maybe try to adjust the timings? if my girl oversleeps beyond 2 hours, what we do is to off the air-con and let the room slowly warm up. this way they would wake up themselves and we won't suffer from 'you-wake-me-up-so-im-grouchy' mood

sporty: grassroots leader? i think more of social butterfly. last night we had dinner out and when we left the place, she walked up to other pple's table and wave bye bye. PENG SAN, so paiseh.

starrz, i think she is v tired already but she juz dunno how to get to sleep...eventually how did she fall asleep ah?

adelynn, wow u still stay with ur big family? nice
happy.gif
hahah...she's so cute!!! socialite to be!!!

Adelynn, wat times does your gal wake in the morning?
So fast can sleep at 945am ah .
Oh she is such a cutie, know to how to wave bye to strangers.
Lil k is v stubborn, not say give milk then will zz liao de. On normal days, also need 1hr to coax.

Sporty, in the end I see she suck fingers n not moving much n I quickly pat her to zz.

As she slept late yesterday, she woke at 8am today and jus fallen asleep at 1130am. Which aldy disrupt her routine today. Later the noon zz de, how to make her zz early ?
N later going out, she sure canot zz de. Maybe today jus let her tired n play till night then let her sleep early.
Or see later come back home wat time, see in time to let her sleep on or not for the noon zz.

sporty: i got minor surgery on 1 breast, max can only pump 10ml.. the lactation consultant asked me to focus on another side which i did.. tt's why i only bf using 1 side of breast.. :p

adelynn: just saw phoon huat got the yogurt machine, S$39.90, if i see correctly.

starr, i find that my gal set her own nap time. She wakes up at 730am as we need to bring her to mil place. She nap from 10am-12nn and 4pm-6pm. The 10am and 4pm is fixed. Sometimes she sleeps longer sometime shorter, but will at least have 3hours nap in the day time. Night time she will sleep before 9:30pm. Sometimes if she is too tired, she will roll her face on my chest to signal me that she wish to nurse and sleep.

Actually her daytime nap timing is fixed by her. Last time she fuss so much if we put her at other timing. So slowly we catch her routine. The timing also suit our schedule perfectly. As usually we can only pick her up at 8pm. So sleeping up to 6pm is just nice.

Perhaps your girl is trying to establish her own routine again. Maybe she is trying to cut down her nap to once a day. I remember my boy also like that. Cut from the very initial 3 naps to 2 then to just one nap.

BTW, is she still taking medication now? You mention she is ill last week? I find medication nowadays make our kids more active, difficult to put to bed. Side effect. My girl is taking med these 2 weeks. Very active and very difficult to put to bed.

sporty, they are still recovering. Stubborn virus/bacteria.

Adelynn, Little S is so smart. Potential Miss Singapore next time.

Back