(2009/07) July 2009 MTBs

welcome zksl, do let us know your 'vital statistics' for us to put in the table.
happy.gif


Nick:
Birth Order:
Gynae:
Hospital:
Gender:
EDD:
 


lamagier & mashy
thanks! :D happi tat i finally can start shopping. hahas! baby is cooperative. im the 1 not cooperative bcos im hungry. LOL. and she sae bcos im hungry, cant scan duno wad ting in the tummy and asked me to go out to get some food so tat she can scan.
 
Yan
I only know they do the trade in at taka fair. Not sure where else.

Noelle,
R u using the Ameda Lactaline? Can comment Ameda or PIS is better? I can't decide btw the 2 cos a lot of people say both works as well but 1 at a much cheaper price
 
Lamagier..

Thanks for the offer.. but my hubby say we will get one for ourselves when goin shopping..
but anyway.. its very kind of u.. thanks..
 
Hi Enli,
No problem at all =) your husband dotes on you.
But juast a note on the Palmer's cocoa butter. Read on forum quite a few MTBs got rashes after using it. I got a few itchy dots on tummy and boobs when I used it and they cleared when I stopped using. So you may want to buy a smaller bottle (if they have it) to test.

I didn't like the Galvenic one as it leaves a thick thick feeling behind.

I'm now using Decleore brand(I think spelling correct) from my facial place
 
re: stretch marks cream
i also heard fro my fren tat palmer's coca butter causing rashes. mayb due to our skin difference of asian skin and ang mo skins? but can try to use it first as my fren sae it is the best stretch mark cream. she used for 2 pregnancy no stretch marks at all.
 
babyethan,

I'm in the same shoe as you.

Taka fair is selling Ameda lactaline at $350 b4 taka 10% disc.

PIS is abt $699 (if i'm not wrong) b4 discount.

I saw avent new dual electric pump.. $649 b4 disc.

I am contemplating.

of cos price wise Ameda is of good value.. but the silicon pad of it is $30+ each side!! if need for both for more comfort pumping will be anothe $60++!!

Also warranty period starts upon purchase date. so I wonder should i wait for GSS / next baby then buy?

But need to collect infor 1st esp from mums using ameda pumps.

Q1) Is it a good work horse? cos i would expect myself to pump at least 4X a day

Q2) Looking for one that can last at least 1 year.. cos i wish to feed my bb EBM for 1 yr..

Q3) Aftersales service good? its at Targo lane.. very far from where i work or stay.

Q4) will it be very noisy when pump.. i dun want to sound like cutting grass at the nursing room

PSI
Q1) Heard for medela, very often milk gets sucked in to the tubes. Is it true and kinda inconvenient?

Q2) is PSI noisy? the big motor looks noisy

Q3) Noelle, you said its more comfy bec it has the silicon pad to help in pumping?

The only thing i have with PSI is the weight cos i'll carry to and fro office daily.. though i might be driving but sometimes not and will be taking the train.


sigh breast pumps big investment for me..
 
Peanut, It's the Recaro Young Profi Plus in black/silver. I hope you like the look of it.
happy.gif


Noelle, Yeah you got it right. The young Profi looks really good.

Can any mummies here advise if we should get the breast pumps now or much later? I almost bought the medela one at the taka fair.
 
LS, do take gd care ok... coz yr back pain seems more serious than mine. Bt, i guess its due to e extra weight gain and also our sitting and standing posture. Yesdae, I went to see movie "Dragonball Evolution" with my hubby. My back and legs were aching all over. The show is not too bad, bt throughout the show I was adjusting to make myself more comfortable.

Kimblerly, thanks for the info. I have been taking a fair bit of tea daily as I dont know that it has caffeine. Only thought it was too liang. I totally cut down on my coffee coz of the caffeine in it.

Re: BB fair
Thinking of going to the bb fair later during lunch. Only need to get small items like milk bottles and walked around to see what other gd deals they have. Doesnt need big items since I gt most of it passed down from my #1.
 
Sunsweet
I've not used the PIS before so cannot comment, but i used the Swing. So far, I've used the following and these are my comments:

Medela Swing
Very good, but it's only a single pump. I used it for 8 mths. It's light and portable. Motor is not noisy. But there's a tendency to have milk backflow into the tube. I think that's the reason why my motor broke down halfway. When I went to the service center then I learnt that it's because of the position of the valve. So got to bear that in mind when using.

Avent manual pump
Got this pump as my Medela Swing broke down. It's tiring to use but it's very comfy due to the petals. Personally, I feel i get more milk as a result using this pump. I did consider to get the duo pump this time but it's too bulky and very heavy. I ever shared a nursing room with a mummy who used it. She gets letdown very fast but the downside according to her is she spent too much time fixing up the equipment each time she needs to pump and it's heavy n bulky to carry around.

Ameda
I've got a 2nd hand one from the forum. During the 1st few pumps, i feel it's quite good n fast in expressing milk. But it's a little less comfy than the swing. Somehow, I don't know if it's because the motor is not working well or whatever reason, my supply seems to drop a lot. I find the motor very loud and noisy. That's why i said I don't know if motor is not working well or it really doesn't work on me.

Am considering PIS or try Ameda again. THought of sending the Ameda to service and try again before investing in PIS. Undecided yet. Drop off Avent Duo from my wish list as it's really bulky though it's really comfortable.

On warranty... the warranty for Medela is supposedly to start when we purchase. But I spoke to their service sales staff. They said we can send in the warranty card after we deliver together with the child's birth cert and they will honour from DOB. I didn't know abt this. When I bought the Swing, I sent in the warranty directly. When I brought my pump to service, i showed them my child's birth cert n they honour the warranty period tho based on receipt, it shd hv expired.
 
devilene, Sunsweet
do take note that the 10% discount for taka members is only valid for 4 days from yesterday. Not the whole sales period.

Btw, PIS backpack selling $599 at First few Years.
 
Sunsweet,

I think so too but unfortunately, I do not have any taka card. My fren was telling me to get the Medela Spring, more economical but Im looking at the PIS. Another fren of mine using Pigeon and she says it is not too bad and much cheaper than Medela. Or shld I get Avent since I bought their milk bottles and steriliser yesterday?
Sigh!! I am confused. What do you recommend?
 
2nd time mummies, is it ok if I recycle my Avent manual breast pump? I used it 4 years ago when I was having my #1. Was thinking of replacing the plastic parts and using it.
 
for those interested int he pigeon bottle exchange..

I was told u can change with any bottles, for the pigeon wide neck, which the wide neck will be sold for $4.95.

RE: BPA free bottles (Pigeon)
I saw the narrow and wide neck BPA free bottles.
Narrowneck for 8oz bottle for $11++ .. anyone compared prices b4?

I tot of changing my #1's bottle to BPA free bottle.
 
Sunsweet, Sorry its Medela Swing and not Spring.
happy.gif


BabyEthan,

Thanks for the comparison of the various pumps. Now I have a better idea which is good. Am gonna check out both Medela Swing and PIS.
Any feedback on the Pigeon Pump?
 
sheryl

why not?

sunsweet
Is the exchange for non-BPA free bottles? Can change for BPA free bottles?

I remember the big wide neck bottles are $18.90. Can't remember the smaller ones.

Devilene
So far, all the feedback on pigeon pump sucks.
 
Sheryl,

I'm thinking reusing my 2YO avent manual (except buy new slilcon parts that had turned yellow which cost abt $20+).

I think no harm reusing the old pump.

Anyway taka selling the manual pump for $79++ with the takt card is abt $72++ can consider a new one cos not too exp.


Yup Babyehtan, Taka disocunt till sunday only.
 
mashy, i thought we cnt recycle e pump. thanks for sharing.
happy.gif


btw, are you gals using e steriliser for yr bbs? coz during my #1, my mum and mum in law suggested using the traditional method of boiling water and soaking it in e warm water. i did that and later realise its not so gd for e bottles. tinking of getting e steriliser at e fair.
 
sheryl,
yup can get spare part at philips.

I too got my sterliser at the fair.

I bought the pigeon rapid sterliser sot $95 - 10% = $85.50

Avent sterliser + bottle/foos warmer is $181 b4 discount. as I have the warmer already so no point just buying the sterliser for $140+

I also bought pigeon breast pads for $8.90 (b4 discount)
 
Hi Mashy,
These are my details
happy.gif

Nick: zksl
Birth Order: 1
Gynae: Dr Fong Yang
Hospital: Mount A
Gender: Boy
EDD: 29 July
 
Was reading the chinese publication of Motherhood's Guide to Pregnancy and Babycare, and found a cute interactive exercise for around 5months onwards with your baby now that we can feel the bumps and kicks.

When the baby nudges with hands or feet, gently tap the spot where you feel the nudge or kick, and then wait for 1-2minutes for baby to respond. Can repeat this or try a new spot closeby to tap after 1-2mins, baby will respond to the new spot to nudge or kick. The game should last about 10mins, not for too long.

Looks fun and I tried it, and it's so cute playing with my girl.
happy.gif
 
sam
seems fun. but hor, sometimes cannt realli get the exact spot. hahas! more like plaein wif baby while he/she is still in the tummy then exercising =p

re: weight of baby
i jus finish my consult at kkh, i asked doctor abt the baby's weight, tink she est using the size of the baby's tummy? she sae is 500g! is this heavy? like i hear from u all onli sae 300++g mine is 500g leh. but she sae normal. and i gain 3.6kg within 4 weeks! hahas.
 
3.6kg in a month.. quite a bit..

better target to gain 1kg a month.. so will not have too much excess weight to shed after delivery...
 
BTW sheryl,

there's a new model of pigeon sterliser that is similar to philips 3-in-1 center.. can sterlise bottle + Warm up milk + Steam small protiion of food.

price i think $145 b4 discount.

happy.gif
Just To Share
 
PPrincessbaobei

heehee... 3.6kg weight up ok ba... i gain arnd 4.5kg and baby was weighing 500gm when i went for my detail scan at 22weeks... so its ok i guess since gynae tell me ok.. n i think its coz we carrying boi boi so mayb heavier... tats jst my guess...
 
lamagier & sheryl
Thanks for your concerns. I'm thinking to go back to my chinese physician to check my backache as western doctor will only give painkiller. Now I gotta walk slowly like granny & sit down slowly too.

Anyone going Taka fair after work today?
 
sunsweet
i tink so too. or isit bcos previously i didnt gain much? previously i onli gain 1.4kg up till 16weeks. and nw 20 weeks total gain is 5kg.
 
yan
im not sure abt wad my gynae tinks as i onli went wif her for my 1st consult when im 16 weeks hence she can onli see the sudden weight gain and not any previous record. but my gynae also sae is ok and sae my weight gain is veri gd.
 
sheryl

It's still your own breasts.
happy.gif
But u may need to change some parts like the petal & stuff coz they will probably have turned yellow by now.

sunsweet
sigh. Nevermind, will still have 20+10% for the BPA free bottles. Still a good deal since normally it's only 20% off.
 
PPrincessbaobei

ya my gynae also say very good no need worry.. he say 500gm normal... weight gain mine was terrible till now 23 weeks i gain a total of 14kg but also coz i was underweight b4 pregnancy.. i was 43kg b4 preg and now im 57kg... so ya its quite shocking... so if im ok then im sure u have no probs...wahhaahahahahahah

BTW, wen is ur EDD? Lucky to have all the ladies here for company and share info if not i be so bored coz now not working anymore and simply nothing much to do... Cant wait for birth and confinement and back to the workforce...
 
About the stretchmark cream, im using the Clarins Huile Tonic Oil which is quite good and have a nice smell... Recommended by few of my friends who have used it previously for their pregnancy and post pregnancy.. so mayb some of u ladies may wish to try it out...
happy.gif
 
pprincess,
Wah, you bb is pretty big for 20weeks. But don't worry lah, it's all based on estimation. Wait till bb bigger, prob will get a better estimation. Read somewhere after 2nd trimester, will have very fast weight gain. 0.5-1kg a week... I'm already getting depressed weight seems to increase daily... Already cross the 60kg mark last week... sigh...

Yan,
how tall are you? You must be pretty skinny before pregnancy =)How come stop work so early? or taking a break in between jobs?
 
Re: Medela PIS Advanced vs Ameda Elite Electric
Before the Medela, I rented the Ameda Elite for 3 weeks fm the hospital. The Ameda Elite is huge and very powerful; also known as industrial-grade pumps, hee :D. They were very useful to help me with my supply but I didn't even think abt buying them cos they were over US$1K. I haven't tried Ameda Lactaline, so can't comment on that. I like the Medela PIS; the breastshields fit better and more comfy than the ones that came with the Ameda Elite. The noise fm the motor did not bother me or DH (I pumped at night in our bedrm). Milk did get into the tubes a few times but not into the pumps; not frequent enough to bother me.

Sunsweet,
Just suggestion... What abt leaving the electric pumps in your office and just take the expressed milk and parts that need to be sterilized home. You can buy a manual pump for use at hm on weekdays. Then bring the pumps home again for weekend.
 
Lamagier

heehee.. im 160cm so ya im underweight b4 pregnancy.. im one of those fashion victimise woman!!! ahahhahaahahah... always wan to fit into those skinny jeans then... My weight all along have been between 40-45kg all these years no matter wat i eat... Im considered short so with tis new weight gosh i feel so clumsy....

The nurses at the clinic also quite shocked with my weight gain as they know im all along skinny.. so all teasing me abt not being abt to s

ya ya now is break in between jobs.. but market so bad dun know if after birth can find a job again or not... hahahaahha.. but anyway njoy the pregnancy first then think abt this later..
 
Princess
i gain almost 2kg every 3 weeks. But gynae says it's ok. Also hit the 60kg mark already.

Sunsweet
I bought that steriliser for my #1. Broke down twice. No good. The guy at the service centre told me such multi function appliance breaks down more easily. So this time, i bought the standalone steriliser. According to my colleague, she has used the same one for both her kids and is still working well. Didn't breakdown at all.
 
I think if i leave pump at office.. then at home how?

cos if i start pumping I would have wean my bb off my breast.. so will not latch on once i start pumping..

then like that morning i got to wake up extra extra early to pump.. Yawn...
 
yan
u are not fat lar! im onli 157cm. pre pregnancy weight is abt 57kg. nw im alreadi 63.9kg! ppl still sae i look small size when im 57kg. but is realli small size, heavy bone onli. jus tat tummy and tigh loves to store fats! hahas.
dun worriew abt finding a job. mayb can spend more time wif ur baby if unable to find a job. mani of my girlfrens wan to be a mother for 1yr before dey go back to work. of cuz it will affect somehow bcos u are out of touch for so long.
my edd is on 31st july. last one of the month
happy.gif


lamagier
yea lor. i also tell my gynae everibodi sae their baby onli 300+g leh. then she sae mine is still normal so ask me not to worriew. im alreadi over the 60kg mark long time ago! LOL. im jus hopin of not gaining more then 15kg overall. so tat after gifing birth i onli need to shed a few more kgs. abt 5kg i supposed?

babyethan
2kg every 3 weeks? like kinda lil hor? but it will surely increase for all of us.
happy.gif
 
sunsweet
u mean after we start to pump our milk out, we cannt latch them on animore? bcos i thought we can still latch them on when we are around. the pump is used so tat when we are awae, at work, we can pump out and dey still got to drink our breastmilk. if is realli like wad u sae, then kinda sad lehs.

aniwae, my fren sae we confirm haf to latch them before we pump? bcos 1 of my girlfren didnt latch at all. jus immediately pump and ended up clotting everithing and it is block, so she cannt even BF or pump out animore.
 
Princess

U r so rite!!! Fats only on tighs... n my case on my arms too!!! I dont think im ever goin to go back to my old weight thou, if i can shed till 50kg i think is really super bonus already..

Hmm.. mother for 1 year at home, i dont think i can handle that..hahaha... i cant separate from society for so long, tats y i absolutely admire SAHM, how they do it.. truely wei ta!!!
 
pprincess
2kg per 3wks still little? i find it a lot. read fr magazine shd gain abt 1-2kg every 4wks. So far already gain 7kg. my first pregnancy, i gain 17kg
sad.gif


u can still pump n latch at same time. better this way to keep milk supply going. latching is the best. but sometimes baby don't drink much, so extra got to pump out. also latching helps to unblock blocked ducts more efficiently than pumping.
 
Hi pprincess,
My sister latch when she has baby with her and pump when she's at work. Can mix. Just that she total latch in first few months, had a hard time getting my niece to accept the bottle.

Hi Yan,
I also sometimes wish I'm able to stay hom, especially when tired, bloated and MS... Hope for you market would pick up by the time you are ready to go back to work. Hee, I'm also very weight conscious. Hoping can can less than 12kg, arms, butts & thighs dun put on too much fat. But judging by how fast I am expanding, think can say goodbye to that liao...
 
Mashy, thanks.
happy.gif
i will change those. gt to do some spring cleaning n dig out stuff i had for my #1.

Re: Bb fair
I just went to the fair during lunch since my office is nearby. Bought the avent starter set, the pigeon breasts pads, 1 little einstein disc for my #1 (he loves bb einstein since he was a bb. now he is into little einstein, thomas, jay jay etc)and 1 powder puff box. So happy and excited to see so many stuff n preggie mummies at e fair.

Sunsweet, i saw e avent n pigeon steriliser. Think i will get e same pigeon one as you coz I have an Avent bottle warmer at hme alreadi. I was so tempted to get just now, but it was too heavy. Will go to the fair tomorrow and get it. Btw, did you happen to be at the fair just now?
 

PPincess,

well not say you can't but some BB gets nipple confusion so once they get used on easy sucking from bottle teat, then they lazy to use strenght to suck from mummy.


for intial 2 mths I'll latch on to establish my supply loh ... then after that shall rely on pump cos will wean bb off hand in hand so bb can leanr bottle feeding and get used to it when i'm back to work.. i take abt abt 1-2 weeks for baby to learn to feed from bottle..

well actually i learn most of my breastfeeding and caring stuff from this book "Contented Little Baby" by Gina Ford.

She touches on how establish routine, increase milk supply for intial period and some baby care..

the routine part i can;t follow exactly but i find it helpful as a guage how often breastfeed baby have to feed.. not to feed on demand, not to feed on fixed hourly.. and of cos get sanity from motherhood.. cos i was quite stress of knowing nothing with no CL.. so having the books help me tied thru.. and my gal co-operatively sleep thru (11pm - 6pm) after 2.5 mths old..

generally i fid the book helpful
 

Back
Top