aurorin,
I think the older generation has the thinking that BM is not that good. My parents also said this to me "U sure u want to TBF? Ur milk nutricious meh? But like watery watery one!". After sometime, I dunno what happen. they said "Hmmm... Actually ur ger looks ok (even thou I personally think she's small) size. Not too fat oso good la" (no offence to any mums here).
Recently, my dad is nagging at me again cos I lost a lot of weight. So he's encouraging me to stop BF. But I think I will just press on until my ger is 12 mths bah...
As for fresh milk or formula milk, I personally would rather give formula milk. This is bcos formula is fortified with vits/minerals.
But fresh milk is still good if u wanna save $ (cos milk is a good source of calcium).
BM is nature's gift of nutrion to ur baby! Why would it be less nutrious than milk from an animal? Research has shown that it is low in certain vits & minerals (such as Vit C and Iron). But, these (which run low) can be easily made up by the solids u feed when ur bb is 6mths.
Also, baby's growth will slow down aft awhile. So there's no need to worry as long as they are happy and are passing all the physical and social development milestones.
Foods to introduce:
As for food to give ur bb, all of us can share what we give our babies. But in the end, it's up to the parent's comfort zone and ur baby's taste preferences. Do ask ur PD if you are not sure (esp if baby or parents has food allergy history). For me, I only gave my dotter meats n other types of vege with thumbs up from the PD.
As always, eat in moderation!
As for what zachmommy is referring to, spinach is high in nitrates n is an oxalate containing food. Read more in e following links:
-
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm
-
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/oxalates_baby_food_spinach_rhubarb.htm
Echo,
U really PRO-breastfeeding leh... Haha...
Zachmommy,
My ger is ok with that combi becos I have made it more than once for her. It could be that I added more fish to the porridge n hence the taste kinda went "Off" her list of favourites...