(2008/10) Oct 2008

<font color="ff6000">i think not constipating (yet) cos managed to go toilet on Sat and Sun effectively. So i think it's uterus lining growing thicker lor... after all, at this time usually it will break down and have AF already...

haha, you already got preggie books?! I should have guessed.

littleger - yah i think I'm being treated like a queen already... hubby don't let me bend, say cannot lift things heavier than 1 kg (totally unrealistic - pet bottle already 1.2l - you mean i cannot open green tea to pour out and drink) but my internal gauge is don't carry things heavier than 3kg. and bend over, slowly can but not too often lor...

so far the most 'violent' movement i do is my sneezing! must be like earthquake to the embryo haha. good thing kinda stopped sneezing for the day already.</font>

Juz Me - hahaha... nmind, so long hubby treats u like queen can liao!

CH Lee - cannot bend? i didn't know preggie cannot bend often! Oh, i still carried my 10kg girl ard... oni until yest, everyone forbidded mi carrying her due to my spotting.

Btw, is it ok to lies on our tummy? I like to lies on my tummy when i'm on my bed..

CH Lee, I tot clothes nowadays already like preggie's
So nobody will actually notice I preg until I declare... I realise after I preg hor, I go toilet very often le.. like my hubby. Visit after each heavy meal. Not sure I think too much or his "gene" is influencing mine too.. hahahhah
My hubby also says no mopping of floor and cannot carry heavy stuffs! Feel so much like a queen hee hee especially during CNY! Very blessed to be excused from all the major cleaning! Not so used to it though..at times I forgotten I am preg...went ahead to lift those heavy stuff and kana scolded. :p

Juz Me,
My fren went to her and she told me she's very good and experienced and very popular too. I went to see her before I preg and finds that she's really very kind and patient, we need such gynea as first timer. Otherwise we will be going through pregnancy with lots of doubts. You can read up on her thread in this forum under Dr kek LP.

littleger
I read we can have 30 mins moderate exercise each day to built up our strength. But no squats, not to bend over, not to carry any "heavy" kids or stuffs. Some says we do not know how weak we are, so better not take the risk. I think it's ok to listen at times than to be sorry... Don't exert too much pressure on yourself now. Did you see a Dr on your spotting?

Dear MTB
Btw, I thought we aren't allow to take more than a cup of coffee, red, black, green tea too le, it has caffeine in it. Can cause miscarriage to some..

Since our trimester is so impt. We all should take extra care and as long as the advice does not seem "ridiculars" no harm listen to it for the next 12 weeks lor..

Just to share, I was asking my gynea today how can one avoid miscarriage, she says research has shown other than abnormal pregnancy, one should avoid smoking environment. I read a similar article too.
SO just a gentle reminder for some who lives in a smoking environment just like me..try to run when you see someone forming chimney next to you..

<font color="ff6000"> i think it's ok to lie on tummy but my hubby don't think so. dunno where he get all this theories from, so hope we get a good book for once and clear all these myths.

anyway, my clothes are now all just nice, so cannot allow for bloated stomach lah... really look like put on extra spare tire. i should really go shopping for the latest fashion since they all look like preggie style anyway! haha.

yah my hubby really very sweet lah. he said he'll do ALL the housework from now on. *yes!* but since he's such a lousy iron-er, I said i can continue ironing.
happy.gif
happy.gif
</font>

Jlow - see lah, you scared me...
happy.gif
just now i wanted to make a hot chocolate from the office machine... then after reading your caffine post, thought better to just get plain water hahaha... chocolate also got some caffine rite?

Jlow - i kinda regret now. I thot i was strong enough to carry my girl, vacuuming the floor and i don't bother to bend slowly or whatever. Yea, I saw my gynae quite a few times on my spotting... the most recent was last night at A&amp;E cos i got cramp as well. So now i better play safe than to be sorry. HUbby even grounded me... can't go out at all.

CH Lee - yaya.. chocolate contains caffine too. But I think one cup shld be ok since gynae oso gave approval to one cup of coffee per day. I am a coffee and tea drinker... now i totally cut both so now i drink only milo. If wan mi to cut milo also, i think i cannot la! But then i tried to switch between milo and cereal lor...

Oh ya, nowadays the clothings are really suitable for preggies.. kekeke.. all loose fitting! I bought 2 b4 cny... and thot it was a good bargain since i can wear it when my tummy gets bigger!!

Now i eat cereal with milk every morning... milk got calcium mah...

also thinking of going GNC to buy womens' multivitamins (contains folic acid). Anyone going to do so too?

now my fav choice of drink is Ribena.
happy.gif

CH Lee
Surprisingly chocolate's compound is good for us, the caffeine is nt as bad as the one listed. I'm trying to get the dtl to post it here so we are aware, water is good and if you really want a cup pa won't harm la. I'm a coffee addict, but because of the new arrival, I have opt it out totally. very tough but feel very rewarding myself lor.
In everything, consume in moderation. Even for meals also, I feel like vomiting after each meals, my fren suggest to me lots of small meals to avoid the discomfort. It works lor.. so maybe those who has the same symptoms can also try ...and keep some dried food within reach...such as biscuits cereals and bread..

No watermelon or grass jelly. some of us cannot take too "cooling" stuff, so must watch out on that too..During CNY I did not even take much cold drink because I cannot take "cold" stuff, I can feel the cramp shortly after..just test and understand your body slowly..our hormones and body is changing each day, so must take time to understand what it's tolerance is .

Oh ya btw, just to let u all know that mandarin orange is considered "cooling" so try to avoid during our first trimester. I didn't know.. thot it's "heaty" all along.. and took quite a few for the past few days... till yest i told my mom abt it and she told me it's cooling stuff so can't take!

Highlights
Healthy fast foods
Foods to avoid

One of the luxuries of modern living is that it's easy to buy convenience foods that taste good — it's just too bad they're full of preservatives and other ingredients you should steer clear of during pregnancy. But there are "fast" foods that are genuinely good for you, especially if what you really need are light meals or snacks that will tide you over until your next meal.

Here are 11 quick and tasty foods to love — and five to avoid — all recommended by Heidi Reichenberger, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and Elizabeth Somer, registered dietician and author of Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy: The Complete Guide to Eating Before, During and After Your Pregnancy.

Healthy fast foods
1. Single-serve fruit bowls. Handy little 4-ounce fruit cups that count as a serving of the daily recommendation for fruits and vegetables. Choose varieties packed in their own juice rather than in sugary syrup.

2. Soy milk. Available in 8-ounce servings of plain, chocolate, and vanilla flavor. Stash one in your purse or briefcase (they don't need to be refrigerated). One bottle can supply one-third of your daily calcium and vitamin D needs during pregnancy.

3. Raisins. A 1-ounce box provides 2 grams of fiber, 4 percent of the daily recommended amount of iron, and even 1 gram of protein.

4. Yogurt. The classic nutritious-and-convenient food can provide you with 25 percent of your daily calcium requirement, protein, fiber, and several other necessary vitamins and minerals.

5. Easy-to-make trail mix. Mix a handful of shredded wheat-type cereal with a handful of dried cherries and almonds. Keep a zip-lock bag full in your desk or car for a handy, crunchy snack.

6. Salad bar. Some fast-food restaurants and many grocery stores have salad bars where you can serve yourself practically the whole day's worth of fruits and vegetables. Load up on spinach, carrots, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers, zucchini, raisins, and nuts. Add chickpeas and kidney beans for a protein boost.

7. Baby carrots. Carrots are full of vitamin A and fiber and you can find them in single-serving bags. Dip them in nonfat yogurt mixed with a little bit of ranch dressing for an extra dose of nutrition. Look for other prewashed and prepacked veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach, and stir-fry them together for dinner.

8. String cheese. If you don't know about string cheese now, just wait until your baby is a toddler — this food will become a snack staple. Low-fat mozzarella sticks are chock-full of calcium and have some protein.

9. Boxed, calcium-fortified orange juice (now available in many grocery stores). A 4-ounce serving provides half the daily requirement of vitamin C and about 15 percent of your calcium needs.

10. Single-serve boxes of cereal (not the sugar-coated kind) or packages of instant oatmeal. Stash a few in your desk at work for a snack. Almost all breakfast cereal is now fortified with essential vitamins and minerals.

11. Single-serve cottage cheese bowls (available in the dairy section of most grocery stores). Cottage cheese is a good source of protein and calcium.
Foods to avoid
1. Ramen noodles. Packed with salt, fat, and little else.

2. Sodas. Fill up on empty calories and sugar and you won't have any room for more nutritious drinks. Low-fat milk, carbonated water, and juices are a good substitute.

3. Prepackaged commercial lunches. Sure, they'd be a quick fix for hunger pangs, but preservatives, salt, and fat make them a bad choice.

4. Almost all prepared, frozen meals. They tend to have astronomical amounts of salt and fat. Instead, pop a potato in the microwave, and top it with cheese and steamed broccoli for a fast, healthy meal. If you can't avoid the occasional frozen meal, look for organic brands, or those low in salt and fat.

5. Iceberg lettuce. If you're going to eat a salad, choose a green such as romaine that's full of fiber; A, B, and C vitamins; folic acid; calcium; and potassium. Iceberg lettuce has only trace amounts of these nutrients.

ok..me go dinner first..come back and search for the caffeine context again...see you all later! happy dining!!!

Ohhhh valentine's day coming...any plan anyone?!?! hee hee

hi gers .. i was just confimed yesterday with 3 test kits .. do i nid to see a gp to get a comfirmation from the doc? when do we need to see the gynea? .. sorry for all these qns .. tis is my first baby
happy.gif

congrats wan a mousy! Since u aldy tested 3 times and cfm positive, think there's no need to see GP to cfm. as for when u shld see a gynae, it's really up to individual. If u don't see any abonormal like spotting, etc.. i think u can visit the gynae around 7 to 8 weeks cos by then the gynae will be able to see the baby as well as the heartbeat. But if u feel insecure to wait till that long, u can go ahead to see the gynae n let the gynae confirm ur pregnancy.

For caffeine lovers... an article to ADD on..

Highlights
Do I have to give up caffeine now that I'm pregnant?
Is it dangerous to get more than a moderate amount of caffeine during pregnancy?
Which foods and beverages contain caffeine?
I'd like to kick the caffeine habit — just to be safe. Any tips?

Do I have to give up caffeine now that I'm pregnant?
Not necessarily. You can still enjoy your favorite caffeinated drinks as long as you don't overdo it. After years of controversy over the issue, most researchers now believe that, although caffeine does cross the placenta, moderate amounts (less than 300 milligrams a day) won't harm your baby.

That's about what you may get from just one strongly brewed 8-ounce cup of coffee. Keep in mind that the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee varies widely depending on how strong it is, and that your serving size depends on how big your mug is — a typical mug holds about 10 ounces.

Many pregnant women limit their intake even further or cut out caffeine completely. If that seems wise to you, you won't get any arguments from your midwife or doctor.
Is it dangerous to get more than a moderate amount of caffeine during pregnancy?
No one knows for sure. Some studies found that women who got 300 mg of caffeine or more a day had a higher risk of miscarriage. And according to the March of Dimes, high caffeine consumption may slightly increase the risk of preterm labor or low birth weight, which could make a difference for a baby who's already at risk for these problems.

Other research has shown that babies of women who got more than 500 mg a day had faster heart rates and breathing rates, and spent more time awake in the first few days after birth. Though the research isn't conclusive, it makes sense to cut back if you're downing more than three cups of java or more than 300 mg a day from all sources — sodas, tea, coffee, and chocolate — combined.

One thing's for sure: You'll feel better if you cut back on caffeine. It's a stimulant, so it increases your heart rate and metabolism and can cause insomnia, nervousness, and headaches. It contributes to heartburn by stimulating the secretion of stomach acid. It's a diuretic, so it makes you pee more often and become dehydrated more easily.

What's more, it has no nutritional value — in fact, it causes your bones to lose calcium. And all these effects are only likely to get worse as you approach your due date because your body breaks down caffeine more slowly as your pregnancy progresses, and that means a higher level of caffeine in your bloodstream (and in your baby's).

By the way, there's one more reason to cut back on coffee and tea during your pregnancy, whether it's caffeinated or not. These beverages contain compounds called phenols that make it harder for your body to absorb iron. This is particularly important because many pregnant women are already low on iron. If you drink any coffee or tea, have it between meals so it has less of an effect on your iron absorption.
Which foods and beverages contain caffeine?
Caffeine is in all the usual suspects (coffee, tea, and cola) as well as in chocolate, other soft drinks (including some orange sodas and root beers), and "energy" drinks. It's also in some over-the-counter drugs, including some headache, cold, and allergy remedies. The amount of caffeine in coffee and tea varies widely, depending on whether they're brewed or instant, weak or strong. Check the chart below for caffeine amounts in some common foods and beverages.

Item Amount Caffeine
Brewed coffee, drip method 8 ounces 100-300 mg
Brewed coffee, percolated 8 ounces 65-275 mg
Instant coffee 8 ounces 50-190 mg
Espresso 2 ounces 40-70 mg
Cappuccino 2 ounces 40-70 mg
Decaffeinated coffee 8 ounces 1-8 mg
Brewed tea 8 ounces 35-175 mg
Green tea 8 ounces 8-30 mg
Instant tea 8 ounces 40-80 mg
Iced tea 12 ounces 65-75 mg
Coffee ice cream or frozen yogurt 1 cup 8-85 mg
Soft drinks a 12-ounce can 30-60 mg
Hot cocoa 8 ounces 3-30 mg
Chocolate milk 8 ounces 2-7 mg
Milk chocolate 1 ounce 1-15 mg
Dark or semisweet chocolate 1 ounce 5-35 mg
Baker's chocolate 1 ounce 26 mg
Chocolate syrup 1 ounce 4 mg

I'd like to kick the caffeine habit — just to be safe. Any tips?

You may find your taste buds doing the cutting back for you. Many women's fondness for a cup of joe evaporates during the first trimester when the queasies strike. Otherwise, consider switching to decaffeinated tea or coffee. (Be aware, though, that even decaffeinated beverages almost always contain some caffeine.)

Or reduce the caffeine in homemade hot beverages by brewing them weaker or for a shorter time. If you love a soothing cup of Earl Grey, steeping your tea bag for just one minute instead of five reduces the caffeine by as much as half. If you're a devoted java junkie or cola guzzler, caffeine withdrawal won't be easy. To minimize symptoms — which may include headaches, fatigue, and lethargy — ease off gradually.

One more thing: Although herb teas often have no caffeine, be sure to read the ingredients list and consult your practitioner before trying anything new. Certain herbs and additives may not be safe during pregnancy.

hi ladies,

May I know when do you normally see the water sac?
Pregnancy kits has stated positive but the gynae can't see the sac as yet.

What should I do

getting worried, thanks!

littleger .. thank you so much! does it means when i see the gynea, she will also used the same pregnancy kit to test? i guess i am only 4 weeks plus ... wont be able to see anything right?

btw, is it normal to see some light brownish discharge?

wan_a_mousy: i think it is better for you to go see the gynae if you see any brown, red, black discharge
that was what my gynae said

hi lovebug1822, the sac may be seen from as early as the fourth week via a transvaginal scan (clearer than an abdominal scan, usu used in early stages) but it's common to only see it more definitively from the fifth week onwards. i had my first v scan at four weeks but nothing was seen. we only managed to see it one week later. how many weeks were you when you did your scan? it's most likely just too early to see anything yet. when is your next appt?

hi xuanting:

The doc has used the transvaginal way but nothing could be seen.
As what weeks am I at, this one is questionable?
I had my laposcopy on dec 31 to remove cyst and endometerosis and after that op, bleeding was on 1st jan.

This current gynae I am seeing is not the same one that op me.
This one suggested that fertilisation may even be during the op??? but my hubby and I felt that this may be after the op?
This current gynae tells me to wait 10 days as I went to him on the 4th feb.

Next appointment is in 3 days time. I am getting very worried and have been counting days ... ...
sad.gif

Hi littleger,
Yes. I was the one talking to jenny abt the weekly jab on last week tues. its really very ex $95 per jab. Painful on my buttock and in our pockets oso. Gg for another jab tmr. Oh dear, I muz hav embararess myself that u can rem me so clearly. How many mths u preggie with?when's ur EDD? is this first time for u?

lovebug,

I went for my scan today, dr says I'm very early stage (near 4 weeks) can only see a little dot. Of course if she didn't tell me where, I won't even notice. So I guess you can be as early as 3rd week then? so if you go this week..Maybe you will see more ..
Pls Don't get too worried. Think Postive!
happy.gif

Hi mommies,

I would like to join you all. My EDD is early Oct. My LMP is 1 Jan.

Went for my 1st gynae visit yesterday. Cant see much coz its too early. Dr commented that he can only see water bag. I was asked to go agin next week.

From the scan, it showed 5 weeks+.

wan a mousy: gynae won't use test kit on you but will do a virginal scan lor... go ardz 5 weeks onwards den shld be able to see the sac liao. If u go too early, gynae won't be able to see anything so it's abit of wasted trip lor. It's very normal to have brown discharge... so long it's not fresh spotting or mentrual flow it's shld be ok but den again, if u feel unsafe, then u can make an appt with ur gynae.

RibenaLi: Hahahaa.. yaya.. i could rem u cos i was just sitting outside the room and i heard ur conversation w u n jenny! hehehe... u said very ex and pain.. still bargain w jenny if can reduce the jab not.. kekekek.... i had jab tat day too cos of spotting. It's really butt aching after the medicine takes effect.

RibenaLi: Oh ya, i'm ard 7 weeks now.. EDD shld be early Oct.. Dr Ong haber confirm with me yet. This is my 2nd pregnancy..
happy.gif

<font color="ff6000">littleger - I'm drinking Meiji milk cos I like the taste...

congrats all the new MTB! My last period's first day was 2 Jan I realise. So I guess I'm abt 5 weeks now according to how the gynaes calculate. Going to see gynae next week, cos that's the earliest appt I could get, so that would be around 6 weeks already. Hopefully can see something.
happy.gif

For those who have never done pap smear before, do you intend to/did you also do a pap smear at your first appt?

Dimpletot</font>

halo all MTBs!

How is everyone feeling? I am feeling so so so tired everyday that I dun have the mood for work...i tried to sleep early like 9pm everyday but i am STILL tired...can barely keep my eyes open in the office leh...

this sat going to see Dr Adrian for my 2nd scan...for the first scan, we managed to see a tiny "dot"....hope this time round, it will be bigger lor...
btw, my clothes are starting to feel tight..think i put on weight because of all the good stuff i ate during CNY...wahahaaa!!

dimpletot - i also like Meiji milk,dun like the taste of the other brands le.

Hi Diane,

When is your LMP? How many weeks were you in at your 1st visit? I went yesterday, guess its still too early. But I tot no harm since its good to start on the vitamins and folic early.

I am also visiting Dr Adrian.

Can still fit into my usual clothes.

littleger: I should find a hole to hide myself now. hahaha. i asked jenny whether i can have the jab once every 2 weeks.Its really nice to noe someone who is seeing Dr. Ong too. ur 2nd pregancy? Congrats to u. My hubby was mentioning to me that once i start ( to preggie), he will never let me stop. so i hope to have a cow baby too. haha!!

I had been having cramps almost everyday but no spotting at all. is it normal?

lilybud: Its normal to feel tired. i can sleep for 8 hours a nite and still take noon nap during my work. and it can last for an hour or more (my lunch break is longer). this is coz our body is changing and the hormone thingy is taking place. How many weeks r u preggie with?

hazeline: Congrats to u! welcome !! have to be patient with the scanning ting. I m looking forward to my next scan and hope to see more development of my baby. U have to rest more ok. Lets enjoy the process and keep us updated on ur pregancy.

hi lovebug1822, i'm not sure either. i thought it might be since you mentioned bleeding then. but in any case, the date of last menstrual period is only an estimate for calculating how many wks you are; you may/may not have the standard 14 days before next period ovulation. i guess for now just try not to worry so much; it's not good for the bb. in most instances when the doc can't see anything, it's because it's still too early along. i hope you will have good news in a few days.

littleger: u got spottin ah? Is it better now? R u a working mum? try to rest as much as possible ok. Dun tire urself out with the housework. May u have a smooth and enjoyable pregnancy.

RibenaLi: how many weeks are u in now? Hehehe...wahhh.. baby rat den baby cow.. the gap very close ley! U shld let ur body rest b4 trying for another one... u need to get back all the nutrients first! hehehe...
Cramps are normal.. dun worry. But why do u need the jab? Ya, i had spotting for almost 3 weeks liao... sianz.. sigh! Now on a week mc to rest lor.. hopefully the spotting will end soon!

<font color="ff6000">I don't feel very tired yet... but getting a bit of constipation. must buy prunes soon.

What kind of vitamins or multivite brands are you guys consuming ah? </font>

everafter, meiji milk u can find in supermarket/ntuc... got diff flavours somemore! U shld try to start drinking... good for pregnancy cos gave calcium!

got meh? i was at ntuc last week, but dint see any meiji milk..i dun like vanilla, so tot of buying choc flavour types. but cant find any!!

littleger:my dad was mentioning to me that cow and my zodic wil be in very good relationship so i want a cow baby.

i was told by jenny that my hormone level is very low (after blood test) and i might lose my baby as the hormone to carry my baby is not strong. that's y i need to go for weekly jab to stablise the baby. i muz take the jab till 12 weeks.

Dr.Ong told me that i was 5 weeks preggie when i visited him on 01 Feb. But not matter how i calculate, i can't get what he counted for me.

My last menses was in Nov 2007 and i dint had my menses in Dec &amp; tot i was preggie but urine test plus scanning shows -ve and Dr couldn't find my egg so i took hormone pills for 10 days then i guess it should be during that time when i was taking the hormone pill,i concive. I guess it should be between 16th Jan to 21st Jan (i was in taiwan).

So according to my calculation, i should be 5 weeks preggie now. *confuse*

My 1st scan on 1st Feb shows a small dot 1mm and water sac.

Dr. Ong is able to tell me my EDD during the next visit.

wow .. so many oct mummies
happy.gif
Congrats to all! btw, have anyone used Dr Joycelyn Wong before? I have just fixed an appointment with her.

everafter .. meiji milk always sell out fast in NTUC cos they are always on promotion. Go for a bigger outlet to hunt for them ..

Hi Hazeline,

my LMP was 1 Jan...so now shld be abt 6 weeks preggie??...I visited Dr Adrian on 2 Feb, the day i tested positive...then he asked me go back 2 weeks later, which is this sat lor...

I have been taking folic and DHA and calcium before I was preggie..bought from GNC....haahaaa...so no harm start early..i heard that suppose to be good for baby..
happy.gif

But Dr Adrian gave folic and multi vits too. So i took his because the folic content is higher....5mg vs the 800 MCG that I bought from GNC. 1mg = 1000 mcg if i am not wrong.

Meiji milk is nice!! Last weekend, I was craving for meiji choc so much...the moment i lay my hands on one bottle, i gobbled them down straight away..the whole bottle...of course after that my stomach feels weired...keep churning...got scolding from hubby!! haahaaa!!

Back