(2008/07) July 2008

PB lovely weather indeed. we just spent almost a full hour at the wading pool just having a splashing good time.. too good to waste.... haha...

anyone using pigeon bottles for their 2nd and would like to have some new ones. I have a few new ones (200ml) without teats (BN small Teats size if you want also) to give away. see lah, last time buy and buy, now eboy transit to straw bottles... anyone wants, just PM me...

oh, the speech therapist says that eboy's cheek muscles are a bit weak, so have to wean off bottles. now we are transiting to straw bottles.. and the one from piyo piyo is really good... doesnt spill and can take hot water...

oh yah, his school teacher also told me that eboy has *finally* learnt to snatch toys from other children. i was like, huh? finally? then the teacher told me ALL kids do that and that means they are interacting. only they dunno concept of "playing nice" and all these antics yet so they need to start to interact, then we teach. I nodded and nodded.

so, that's how the world works for them for certain things.. no wonder, most of our kids go through the same phase almost the same time...

must remind myself that all kids behave some ways for a reason.. just need to be patient and be patient to teach... Ommmmmm...

cin and cellow, how about kolo mee gathering at cin's house? been longing to visit cin at her new house... *kill two birds with one stone?*.. just an idea.. hee hee.....

is tmr lunch still on?

i very buay pai seh and ask if michelle is going so that i can catch a lift!

kolo mee at cin's place
next mon or tue lunch time?

Cellow
I told him the truth lor. That I'm the only 1 at home doing all these things. N if I dun do them, who is going to do them?
N that he must help me, like when he sees tissue or paper on the floor he must help to throw n keep his own toys n stuff(which he does) to help me.

Actually u know now that the kids r older, I leave them alone to watch tv or play in the room while I have my bath. But I'm very contradicting, I am now charishing the days with E cos I will have to be alone once she starts sch next yr. Sob sob..........I dun want to be alone *wails*

Hi mummies! Just wanted to pop by and wish everyone a hoppy Chinese New Year! Xin nian kuai le! Wan shi ru yi! and with all I'm hearing about the weather these days... Shen ti jian kang! May the bunny year be a happy one for all of us.

I'm flying back tonight with Sebi and will be spending some time in Spore ... hope to catch up with all of you. Will check the board to see when your meetup next week will be and just thick-skin crash the party :p

This trip back is a bittersweet one, I will be travelling for work to give up most responsibilities but will also be looking for a kindy for Sebi cos we're moving back soon! Wish me luck, think I am very late by Spore standards. Then, there's a little bunny in the oven and the due date is about the time when we move back...so we have to adjust the moving plans and my work again. I'm going back to my old gynae because the next time she sees me, it's almost time to deliver.

On top of that, Sebi is displaying lotsa 'colorful' characters... dun wanna eat, dun wanna drink water, must threaten to drink milk, everything is 'MEINS!' and is def not reading, counting or even coloring. These days, I think I'm just happy if he eats and also, I really wish I was alot more patient and creative in my methods. Oh well.

and about those 'senseless' comments from people... I get the 'Your hubby ang mo rite? Why need to work?' Hallo, which manual says ang mo hubby comes with money tree attached?
sad.gif

Ok, happy tots, happy tots... thinking of my dim sum over the weekends! See you all soon!

cellow - wed can? mon got v day date and tues is dept lo hei
happy.gif

tomorrow lunch - michelle cant join. SY you confirmed? maybe we can do GWC so cellow can meet us? cellow you WFH or in office?

sparrows - hope to see you next week
happy.gif
safe journey!

best la - mich offer cin's place for gathering, and cellow offer mich car for ride! lol!!!!!!!!!!1

sentosa : weather was GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

sparrows
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sure sure, gate crash anything! our next outing is 20 feb at botanic gardens. 4pm i think.

haha re senseless comments. i get strangers sneaking looks at poppy then coming up to me and saying 'her father is not chinese right?'. ding ding! yay congratulations! you win a prize for getting the right answer!!

mich
will sms you if we joining for royce. but i usually pick poppy at 4 so earliest we can be at royce is maybe 445!

Steph..some kids r just buey gam with others, no matter how many times they hang out together, and some are like love at first sight..bbG too!

Sparrows: Harlow!! Gong xi fa cai to u too! Did u have a mini celebration? Congrats on the bunny being baked too! How far along r u? Your old gynae will be happy!
happy.gif
clinic has moved to bigger swankier location too

Kolo mee talk making me weak in the knees but I can't make it on weekdays Arrgh! Save some for me next time ya?

Hehe, the good weather has us all out and about. We were at the pool this afternoon too.

Child helmet
Thank you ladies for the recommendations. I will check them out.

MIchelle
Realised that Eboy is very good with physical sports and eye-hand (and other body parts) coordination. Likeabike, skate scooter, tennis, swimming... golf too?

Re: being too shy to enter room with L & S in it: it's probably because my deprived delinquents descended upon his toys like starving hordes at a buffet.

PB
Think most SIngaporeans have a 'global face', and are always being mistaken for other Asian nationalities. You are probably more 'international looking' lor.

Cin_bunny
Ahem, any chance of a swim date at your place one Friday afternoon? I also want to admire beautiful homes leh.

Sparrows
Congrats on bunny baby! Do join us at BG lah
happy.gif

First, let me cry at all the weekday stuff I'll be missing. BOO HOO HOO!!! And the Kolo Mee too!

Second, complain. I got some off-site meeting tomorrow that lasts till 5.30pm! And I can't really siam cos it's suppose to be for team building. Sigh.

PB,
People automatically assume you're rolling in dough if one person can "afford" not to work. They don't realise until they themselves become Stay-at-Home-parents.
I have no idea how to answer that meltdown question cos kids hardly come to our place anymore. And most of the time, they are happy in that kiddy pool. But we all have our tantrum kids to handle and know how difficult they can be, so no need to say sorry la.

dor dor,
Same, I don't bother to justify to people anymore. Instead, I encourage it. I will always tell people that I'm very free bcos I'm a tai tai with just a tinge of sarcasm. Oh, I can't do it anymore cos I'm working. Dammit.

youpi,
What salty BM? What's the connection anyway?

cin,
Haha, what share? While we were buying beddings, I asked him if he needed a bolster and he said no need, so he has no excuse to take mine! And blanket... even better. I told him to get 2 singles instead of 1 queen, so no need to share! :p

Wails wails wails also at all the kolo mee and beautiful homes admiring happening during the weekdays!

Shld be able to join 20th at bg but will only be there 5-ish when the kids wake. Just bring some finger food is it?

DD
love at first sight vs love at first fight? :p

cin bunny
i also want to hop down for swim date!
(love this thread and our shylessness in inviting ourselves for everything! hehe)

re shy at entering room
i suppose most of you would already know that poppy would be pushing her way through and saying "SIAM AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". aiyoh. do i have the most samseng girl here? yeah. i guess
happy.gif

bbp
yup that's the prob with being on part time basis. when things are done out of part time hours, you're still expecting to join in.

hello!!

Gathering at BG, i should be able to make it too! Will bring along the 2 xuns =D haven met up with the kiddos (and mummies too!) for a long long time. Hmm that reminded me that i have to get a pinic mat.

Sparrows, congrats on the little bunny being baked.

Sigh this is the first week at my sis new place. And I kind of call it terrible. Why? because the 2 nieces were against xun gal. They keep saying its their hse and dun allow xun gal to touch their stuff. According to my helper, my mum didnt say anything and xun gal was crying. When I heard this, I felt so painful.. but before I jump into any conclusion, I will call up my mum tomorrow and check out what exactly happened. Dunno how long we can last on this. Feel very sad that we spent so much effort just to send the girls over but in the end this is the treatment we get. I know they are just being kids but i also cannot help it but feel sad.

BBP
sorry i meant "expected to join in"! sorry if i gave you a pregnancy scare LOL!!!

jacelyn
yikes - you're right, check the facts with your mum. maybe the nieces just need time to adjust. hugs!!! and yes, have not met in soooooooo long! and we have not seen mini xun!!!

Swim date no prob. But the pool is chilly despite being under the sun whole day. Just let me know when la. Next week is fine everyday except mon.

SY,
it's comforting to know someone actually understands my frustrations. Sadly though, I can't quit this job. I tried once and was nearly disowned. Long sob story better to keep in back of my mind.

Jacelyn,
I can imagine your heartaches. I get this every time I see my nephew getting territorial when my son goes over. And not forgetting the attitudes in the house. Lucky for you its your own sister you're dealing with. Own siblings always easier to deal with than the in-laws. Btw, how old are your nieces?

Gatherings:
Guess I'll never be able to make any appearance anytime soon.... Anyone working in Jurong?? I lunch in 99.9% when I'm in the office... Pathetic.... Hahaha...

Cellow,
Good distractions indeed hehe ... My hb is sooo Into his gaming. So since I can't stop him I decided to join him. I just hope we don't become so extreme like the Korean couple in the news some time back. Scary....

DD,
My dad said the 2 boys ba zhi not compatible lor... Today my son bite his cousin!! . No wonder I didn't see my sil when I picked up my son just now. Tmr must go buy present for nephew... I wonder what he will do next
sad.gif

DD,
I remembered you were asking abt music lesson for bbg some time back. Sorry I wasnt in any mood to "talk" then.

Fyi I brought son for trial at Seimpi before cny. $40. Not sure if you're familiar with little neuro tree style of teaching. Seimpi's style was very similar except the topics were related to music. The teacher used flash cards and short games to teach notes reading, types of musical instruments, and introduced the various ancient composers. Gulp..... The actual playing on keyboards were minimal. ImagIne all these within 60 min... Personally, unless my son is really talented, I think I'd prefer something more casual for him like kindermusik. Hope this helps.

I also so wanna get a keyboard for us.... But am afraid just getting another white elephant. :p

Currently waiting outside his Speech session and hearing a lot of giggles and laughter, I wonder what's happening inside!!!! I also heard eboy screaming 'more'!!! New word!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

Mornin mummies..

I'm off today..
Is lunch at gwc on?

Bbp, pb
I'm preparing to work part time..any advise or things I shld look out for?
I'm quite worried.. Not sure if our finances can cope..

Kolo mee
Def got no fate with it.. Been 2yrs and I have nor tasted it before.

Hello mummies!

Time for me to 'break my silence' :p

I felt super guilty not doing much for N1. He's not speaking much. Surviving mainly on milk (no no no to even tasting solids). And yes, display awful tantrums in public. Luckily there are still cute moments to override those terrible episodes. Such as how he would extend both his arms out to ask for a hug. How he would run to rescue meimei from underneath the chair that she has crawled into!

Michelle
I felt its time for me to do something for him. Ur boy's session seems fruitful. Is it possible to share the contact of speech therapist?

Gee Smiggle I'm not sure if I'm able to give any advice cos there are so many different kinds of ways you could work PT.

But if you work from home then I suggest having a fixed location for work station that resembles an office. Somewhere where you can focus and not be distracted. Set aside a time to work and a time for other things. So your office will know when you are contactable and hopefully not disturb you out of that time. Also, Be disciplined and focused. Stick to that timing. Or else nobody will stand to gain from your mind being at so many places at the same time but not quite focusing on any one thing fully.

Will kayden be at school? If not, it's best to ask someone to look after him as you work. Ideally la. So you can concentrate. Don't let your level of professionalism slide. Work from home doesn't mean can chin chye.

But of course if you're not going to work from home then just ignore everything
happy.gif

Talk to H.R about the benefits you will still be entitled to. And if you'll be paid OT for the things you are required to do out of your hours.

Good luck!

Ps everyone don't forget to keep your cereal boxes for me please? :p

quick one

kolo mee
i just bring tasting portions to BG on 20th. whoever got yuan fen w the noodles, just come.

straw81 and sparrows! welcome back...! so long never hear fm you!

sparrows, congrats on little bunny in the oven
happy.gif

Sparrows
Contests on the little bunny!!

Tell u girls something funny.

Yest at my parents place, I was reading the papers n D was touching something he was not supposed to.
So I jus talked while still reading the papers, "Someone's hand is very itchy right?"
D looked so shocked n he said "No, no one's hand is itchy"
So I replied, "Not itchy then why did u touch it?"
D still shocked, "How do u know? U are not looking at me!"
Me said, "Becos I am ur Mama!"
N then it continued with him asking n asking n demanding how I know when I didn't even look his way. LOL

It's our "mummy eyes", we develop wide eye vision the moment they r born. Haha

Sparrows
Welcome back and congratulations!

Dor
Hahaha not only D. Even Ashley, who is already 10 years old still doing things which I told her not to do. She thought she's so smart disguising her acts, but I always found out. She asked the same question as D and my answer is the same as yours, in a way..

"I am your mama and I have eyes all over my body to keep watch at you. and since I'm your mama I know what you're thinking and what naughty things you are doing everyday" Kekeke

I saw the Hello Kitty bands. So cute lor and looks like good quality. My sis in law bought 1 whole big bag from US (animal shape) but the quality isn't as good leh. Saw some at Daiso also, but don't think it's the same quality as yours. Where did you buy?

SD
I bought the hello kitty bands in Hongkong. Hehe hk$25 but it's hello kitty!!! But only bought 1 back.

We bought some princess n ice-cream ones in Isetan during sale before n it was quite good quality but the price is a tad high. Saw name ones in kino before.

Thing is the kids dun really wear them, jus play on n off on n off kind so I never bought more. But when I saw the hello kitty ones I jus had to get them haha even if the kids dun really wear or play cos it looked too cute!!

Now thinking back I should have got a few packs cos a few of my friends also love kitty stuff but u know lah with hubby who keeps having the " why r u buying this" look every time, I only come back n regret haha
Even the iPhone hello kitty screens r so nice n cheap!!
Again regret buying only 1 arghhhhhhh.

Yep Mine was already gone, dunno where they all went. hmm mine was like the normal rubber band quality, some glows in the dark.

In HK there's a lot of cute and unique things hor. I just love browsing them but as usual Mr SD can't stand them. Then I regretted I didn't buy them hmmmph.

Dor u beo some Disney umbrella n it was gone after dat, too right?

LOL at the many-eyed monster mama SD & dor

Woo hoo! Kolo Mee at BG!

Happy chingay momma's!

Dustee..hope to bump into u n Pomfret tomorrow!
happy.gif

SD
Same same haha
But those hello kitty stuff I jus take n declare "I HAVE TO buy this"...hahaha cos its too cheap to pass up compared to buying here!!

Helps that the kids like them too keke.
Yah everytime after holiday alot of regrets......of not buying or not enough!!! LOL

DD
Yap but that disney umbrella was sold out. This yr cannot find nice ones so never get any.
sad.gif

Mummies

Quick one. Can anyone meet lunch on mon? So I can offload some stuff instead of bringing all on sun to bg. Think it would be impossible. m on leave on mon so more flexible for lunch. Cellow u working on mon?

DD
hee actually your stuff not at lot so still easy for me to bring to BG on sun. so maybe i meet cellow and PB at outside RP locations so i can drive there.
happy.gif
ok with u?

Cellow, PB
so 12 at liang court tmr? see u!!

as for how much, i will put it together with the items so that easier for u guys.

haha SY, i must a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of stuff this time around. 12 noon at liang court tmr is great.

i recommend the tampopo ramen that batgirl raved abt last time i brought her there. have also texted her to see if she is able to join.....

anyone not sure where tampopo is... just text or call me when you are around the area.

yikes. am i part of the "alot" list too? ok on, tampopo. i've been meaning to try!!!

ps bookworms, i highly recommend "ROOM" by emma donoghue. it really gives new meaning to the term "creative mum"

pb
oh yes i have heard of that book, but i guess generally i am not keen on books/media that remind me of the fritz case. hmm. i am such a wimp now.

liang court lunch
oh hey mb i'll try to make it with pomfret. 1. she does like ramen (although tampopo ramen isn't top of her list) 2. mb can bring her to royce as a treat. and then i get to go kino for a treat myself. who do i call to confirm nearer to 12? cellow?

DD
i didn't get to say bye to you and bbG! we wanted to see the 'turtle eggs' but the ushers covered them with the corals, and then when we turned around you were gone!

dor and SD
so funny! i guess us mothers do have that instinct huh. i do say to pomfret sometimes "don't even think about it" and nowadays she'll say "huh? what, mama?" to me.

mich
pat pat. my friend's sending her toddler to speech devt therapy too. well some kids just aren't so interested to picking up speech by themselves, so they need a little prodding. job-wise, just go with your gut. seems like you have pretty good instincts with all those other decisions you have made!

sparrows
oh! relocating back here with little bunny arriving! gonna be a really hectic year for you! welcome home!

teaching kids
okay, met an ex-colleague for lunch last week. she quit her job to care for her son when he turned 2. her son is about 2-3 months older than our toddlers (he's an early may baby). and she was telling me about how she uses chinese flashcards to teach him and that he can read some chinese words already. (like, big words, not yi er san) and that he can recite the "san zi jing" (that ancient poem thingie, y'know?)

SAN ZI JING!

and that a lot of her friends' children are learning tang poems in their childcare. what childcare are these?!?!?!?!?!?

and she also said "if teach a word a day. by the time he starts kindergarten he'll know 1000 chinese words"

gasp! do i even know 1000 chinese words myself?

omg omg omg. hands up which other mother is feeling that unexplainable panic rising?

i guess when mr dustee wakes up tmr morning, i'll tell him to go to the office and work harder and generally try to earn more money. coz pomfret might never pass chinese and might never make it to any local instituition of higher learning if they need that minimum pass in MTL. sigh.

can't believe i'm thinking about this at 1am in the morning.

dustee
first and foremost, greetings fellow insomniac.

secondly, about the chinese words thing. i am pretty sure i don't know 1,000 words. let's see... 1-10 is already 10. just 990 more to go...

At the back of my mind it's always "gotta teach poppy mandarin, gotta teach poppy mandarin". at the front of the mind it's always "ha! and you think YOU are good enough, miss F9?". (first time in my life to see the characters "pang xie" when i did this for her: http://gingerbreadmum.blogspot.com/2011/02/who-am-i.html)

but here's the thing, i honestly thing it's exposure that counts more than anything. (but that's just me). so if i speak to her in mandarin, and try my darndest, then at least she wouldn't be one of those kids who doesn't know her teacher is calling her when her chinese name is called out.

i think it depends on your own expectations too. like i said, i'm miss F9. i don't expect poppy to be competing in any chinese poem competitions (but that'll be hilarious though), but i do hope she will be able to speak it better than me. at least more than just talking to taxi drivers and ordering fish ball noodles.

i read her brown bear brown bear in mandarin and she says "no mama, read! english!". and i think oh no am i already too late? but i persevere and a few days after, despite the similar level of (dis)interest, she can recite the sentences with little prompting.

jia you mummies!!!

ps another "let's freak out together" one: my friend's less-than-3-year-old girl saw the word 春 and said "mummy, it's 春! looks like 看 and 着!"

goodness gracious, great balls of fire. my jaw dropped

Pb
Not a lot la but can pass u the cereal box before they get thrown away!

Re words
I know Jx can recite in Chinese 1-10 but whether can recognize I dunno or not. I used to teach Jh san zi jing. He can recite it pretty well. Now Jx I very lazy. Haha.

happy valentine's to everybuddy!

cellow forgot to bring her phone out today!!! only got my work phone and dustee, i only have your prev no in it.

dustee, pls contact SY if you are able to make it. very duh.

san zi jing
i only know the first line. i bought a book fm SY last time that has the entire sequence. but but lazy to read it myself, let alone teach C1. and best, i m from a SAP sch. my sec 4 chinese teacher (who is one of the most dedicated teachers i have ever known in my life and hence resp for watever chinese i now retain) must be tearing her hair out.

pb, the 3yo is impressive!
you coming for liang court lunch? then we can freak out f2f tog re mandarin (in)competency. haha.

dustee,
we can also hold hands virtually (if you are unable to make it for lunch today) and freak out tog. or best, talk to each other in mandarin from now on.

can i add to the "let's freak out together"?

my fren's girl (a June 08) can recite some part of the san zi jing, rem the lyrics and sing to a few CNY songs, and even modify some lyrics (to tease her bro) without changing the rhythm of the song. On the other hand, N1 is not speaking much, but monkeying around alot, yes. So mummies, can u understand how much MORE panic i am experiencing? i cant find my jaw anymore LOL

for watever it was worth, i got an A for higher chinese.... cannot rem if A1 or A2 la. but def A. see where i m today w my chinese (in)proficiency.

straw81,
LOL on jaw drop until cannot find!
speech therapy next on the list?

Back