(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

blueginger, sure no problem, you go ahead then since you only have 1 book. Since tough to hit $100, I may spilt up my order and maybe just order the 2 urborne books then. Save money. ;P

Haha, Iso, just nice, 1 princess and 1 prince.
happy.gif

clover - not too sure either, but i think the kid gets confused if the teaching method is not consistent? i wonder..hehe..i was not taught phonics in my generation.

qingling, yah lor. I think young kids r adaptable with different teaching methods =)

Precisely we never learn phonic so I'm going to sign up with lorna whinston (sp) phonic course in dec then i know wat's it about n can teach my son. I'm thinking of homeschooling him.

Anyone interested in the course? =)

Hi mommies
taking a breather from work now...

just read this report, scheduled to be released by the Australian federal health authorities next week on TV guidelines for children. It's meant for childcare centres but also includes guidelines for parents.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26196393-601,00.html

If Aussie kids are deemed to be spending excessive amts of time in front of the TV, it makes me wonder abt ours since 1) we are highly urban as a society with limited outdoor spaces, 2) the inhospitable, humid weather makes it difficult to enjoy outdoor activities for long stretches and 3) the tv popculture is almost ingrained in every family here.

clover
homeschooling? wow! i just finished reading "The Duggars: 20 and counting", and they home school their kids. sounds fun but quite suitable for them since they got 20 lor. it's more than the average teacher-student ratio already. lol.

myopia
btw, i just spoke to a dr. who's a medical researcher, she said she came across this study where they studied kids in singapore and in china, and looked at all their habits in order to determine what gives kids myopia.

the results showed that time spent on studying, in school, watching tv, etc. were all the same, but what was significantly different was the amount of time outdoors. so china kids have less myopia because they spend more time outdoors!

it gave me food for thought, and made me make more of an effort to bring E out to the open as often as possible
happy.gif

Bkk: have read a lot of reports and know the bad effects of TV on kids but it really cannot be helped ... can't ask my MIL to totally off the TV or restrict to like only 1/2 hr a day........... sometimes its just an easy way out to get an active toddler to quiet down..

Thats one of the reason why I am sending my girl to CC........(to minimise TV time)

but i think children with lesser TV exposure have better concentration.

Iso
the report also links the usage of TV to increase in obesity and myopia. must wait for actual report to be released.

Apple
yeah, that's why i say what more for Asian kids since the TV is such a central part of family lives? I oso understand that our caregivers need a breather to do other things. Looking after an active toddler for 8 hrs a day can drive anyone to distraction! When I'm alone with my dd, I put on Elmo so that i can have 50 mins to do my own things.

Homeschooling
It's a noble sacrifice but I know my own limitations - better let the professionals do their jobs.

pauline and blueginger,
have been too busy to post here. wanted to tell u i can collect on ur behalf. then u arrange to take from me if u dun mind.

ladies, paiseh to intrude

anyone keen to enrol in Julia Gabriel 5 days hols prog, if 4 kids sign up, we can get 20 percent off
happy.gif

website pls refer to
www.juligabriel.com

click on shark for hols prog

Regarding Julia Gabriel Hols Course, we an choose any of these week at any venue :)

Week 1 (23Nov to 28 Nov): Fine Feathered Friends
Week 2 (30 Nov to 4 Dec) :Wonderful Watery World
Week 3 (7 dec to 11 Dec) : Marvellous Music Makers
Follow us into the fantastic worlds of fish, fowl and music! We invite
toddlers and their parents to join us as we expand vocabulary, sounds
and ideas through stories, art and craft, speech and drama, puppets,
music and more. Our exuberant PlayClub environment and lively,
caring educators kindle children’s imaginations, stimulating them
to participate in both group activities and independent learning. To
help bring each fun-filled journey of discovery even more alive, we
visit Jurong Bird Park in Week 1, Underwater World in Week 2 and join
a school symphonic band in Week 3.

3 venues to choose fr, depending on where is nearer ur hse
Venue: Forum
Times: (Weeks 1 to 3) 9.00-11.00am, 11.30am-1.30pm
(English and Mandarin)
Venue: Evans Road
(Weeks 1 to 3) 9.00-11.00am, 11.30am-1.30pm (English)
(Weeks 1 and 2) 9.00-11.00am, 11.30am-1.30pm (Mandarin)
Venue: East Coast Parkway
Times: (Weeks 1 and 2) 9.00-11.00am, 11.30am-1.30pm (English)

Cost: $282.48 for 5 lessons after discount and GST ( if 4 kids sign up, not necessary at same branch and not necessary for same course)

do PM me =)

Thanks, Bx, I'll let mama21 know then. Will collect from you in Simei when I'm in the area.
happy.gif

Saw your blog post, so what did Ashlynn eat at the solemnisation at Amara Hotel that day?
happy.gif

hi hi,
interesting topics.. investment & expenses!

actually i just login to ask if anyone knows where to repair Capella stroller.. just bought a 2nd hand one.. then the wheels started to squeak..

Eliaw, can try putting some singer oil first. My maclaren stroller also squeaks cos sometimes we put too much groceries on the stroller. ;P

homeschooling
i'm still chewing over this coz i'm looking at playgroup/cc for my kid next year, and there isn't any suitable ones near my place within walking distance or it's super expensive, so might as well teach myself.

Aiyoh, Eliaw, poor thing, did you test before buying? Anyway, I also have a capella stroller. Must say it's cheap but not very good. The wheels very wobbly after using it for 1 year. If it spoils, I'm going to buy a combi. At least a Jan mummy's combi stroller can last her for 2 boys and can sell to another Mummy and still working fine. But combi is exp so hope my 2 strollers can last me till Raelynn starts walking. Save $$$. :p

Dor, alamak, I already replied Mama21. I'm ok if you want to collect your books from me at my house. But we still don't meet $100 for free delivery. Mine is $60.80 only, yours is $31.50 right?

pauline,
aiyah.. perhaps it was a hasty buy.. cos i was going penang, and wanted to bring along a light stroller..
it looked very very new.. wheels also not worn out at all.. but i loaded 18kg on the stroller la.. my boy is now 13kg liao lor.. plus the diaper bag at least 5kg..
Paid $140 for it.. ok lah..

Eliaw, I see, no wonder lar, Capella not so sturdy, cannot withstand such a heavy weight lor. 18kgs even my Maclaren stroller also will squeak. ;P

Ya lar, your boy already weighs 13kg leh. You still add on 5 kg diaper bag. My gal until now still equals to 1 bag of 10kg rice, the capella stroller already wobbling away when I push her. :p

haha, Eliaw, LOL, reminds me of my gal's fake crying when she wants me or hubby to carry her. The moment we carry her, she'll zip her mouth. :p

Wa, 20kg a bit tough leh. I also can't advise you. Our Maclaren Techno XT is considered not so heavy but the wheels will squeak lor. Maybe Peg perego, but that's not light. :p

oops.. maybe i too ambitious liao.. so my Capella not too bad la.. guess i have to carry the extra loads on my shoulders then.. haha..

hehe, my hubby will always sling the diaper bag on his shoulder. It's when we got to go to NTUC that we end up overloading our stroller cos got to bring back diapers, FM tins, groceries, etc.

re: investment
there's many talk that it's W-shaped recovery.. prices of raw material were rising about 1-2 months back.. but now seems like it's falling again cos there's just no demand.. so guess oil prices will start to fall again.. so yes, i agree that those investing should hold on first..

but then again.. stocks are purely speculative.. it's not an indication of company's performance.. mainly studying of trends..

for me, safest bet is property investment.. but need to have $ first before can invest la.. haha.. 2nd will choose stocks.. high risk but high returns.. my hubby is the one monitoring.. as for me.. too busy at work to even have time to look at the markets.. n it's so addictive to keep wanting to refresh the screen to check current stock prices..

re: ursbone phonics book
C only likes 1 out of the 12... it's MOUSE MOVES HOUSE.. all the rest he absolutely hates la.. once i take out another title, starts screaming non-stop.. no chance to read the others..

wow.. some of u can actually save 40% of income.. hmm.. time to really look into my expenses.. here's mine

1) % of take-home household income that you save
25%

2) monthly expenses on kid (exclude allowances for mom)
Milk powder - $120 (C drinks a lot)
Diapers - $60 (C pees a lot)
Food - $50 (Bulk bought by my mom)
Others - $100 (Toys / Books)
Classes - $120 (Gym)
Childcare - $500 (Maid)
----------------
Total - $950
----------------

still up trying to settle work and assignments.. damn sian already..

gar, this sat we do book sharing ok? u come my place after gym to choose la.. i have quite a lot of books C not interested already..

eliaw,
WD40 is to remove the rust.
to lubricate the wheels, need to put the singer oil.

re: savings
that's exclude the allowance i gave my parents as i always TT a few months at one time.

the video is quite funny actually (that'sif you were not the parents having to deal with the kid lah). kid knows how to act drama. Eliaw, you said this was shown in your class, was there a solution offered for the parents?

eliaw,
LOL...the clip is so funny! actually see it among lots of kids...all budding actors / actresses

re pram - i think aprica is lightweight and can take the heavy load. i'm still using it

books sharing sounds good! so i bring some over too? what kind of themes does C like?

eliaw
i'm using maclaren day tripper. not very heavy and can take 20kg (cos my girl sits on it sometimes and she's close to 20kg). we'll also load the stroller with water bottles/thermo flask and it still moves very well. plus the stroller is cheap. $99 only and have add'l 10% disc when i bgt during taka bb fair.

oh btw, any 2nd time MTBs looking for another pram? i want to sell my brand new maclaren techno xt (colour storm grey). it was meant to be used at my mom's place when arielle was born, but ended up my mom comes to my place instead.

if any feb08 mums keen i will give v good price, else will go and lelong elsewhere liao

eliaw

the clip is so funny!!! but at least his crying is not uncontrollable bawling, like my nephew sometimes (not sure if it's bcos ILs will keep scolding him or talkign to him to try and distract him when he's throwing a tantrum).

i think the tantrum in the clip might be easier to "correct", because he's obviously only doing it when people are watching...

Hi

My sale price for 6 packs at $13 each.
(Retails at $17.30.)
Brand new. Sealed.
Self collect at Seng Kang or Bukit Batok.
Price negotiable if taking 11 packs.

Please PM me if interested. Thanks.

3106134.jpg

kitsune,
Now my order abt $23.60. Together with Dorothy, sure over $100. Can combine. Then I will collect from your place loh. For $100 amount, mama21 will deliver to your place?

Garfield,
No need stroller liao. House filled with Channet's stuff. Hahaha. Scare no space for no. 2. Hahaha

Anyone know where to buy comfortable cotton pyjames? I prefer shirt and pants type to dress.

Haven’t been following the thread since I MIA for 2 weeks. Is the discussion on investment?

Pauline and all, never go into forex if you are not expert in it. it runs wild like the futures trading, I’m a futures dealer before so I know how the market moves. If you want to invest, share trading like in shares or ETF or funds would be wiser. Never go into forex or futures if you are not familiar with the product.

Pauline/Garfield/crystal, have pmed u . pls let me know. But I couldn’t check my private email now in office. Can reply me here too, thanks!

Hi Garfield,

I may want to get pram...pm me?how heavy is the pram and how much weight do u think can hold? G is already 14kg...

just bought a super big capella (the jogging type), it's great but too big to even get up the escalator of some shopping malls. need a smaller pram for visits to the market/watsons/guardian where is the aisle and moving space is much smaller.

tong,
thanks for your email and for helping us to buy! you stay at khatib right? i guess i collect either at your place or if you go to town on weekends i can meet you there to.

bluegin,
it's ok - i have 3 prams just for arielle.

piglettail,
the pram is about 12kg so not light. but because it is heavy that's why stable and can take kids up till 4 years old or 25kg.

---saving.
Last time I ate out , shopped, and travelled before E was born. $ was gone fast.

Now no time for the above 3 luxuries. So same $ can be paid for baby care.

---food
We bought mainly organic veg for E; while we still eat non-organic.
Total grocery shopping is around for $600+ per month .

---stroller
We're using Combi Miracle turn for outside(put inside car boot), no brand one---my friend's lucky draw prize at home.

My combi squeak recently, but E is only 11.6kg.

Back