(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

re eat and sleep
my ILs also like that! almost every 2 hours want to feed bb, everything also they think bb want to eat, then always trying to make bb sleep. my mum is opposite, always wants to talk to bb, sometimes i think he cannot nap because too much activity, but at least i can teach her to not talk to him when trying to put him to sleep. think i cannot teach ILs to think differently :p

pinkie,
eventhough i haven't offered my son the ebm successfully but he did took fm which i find smells even worse... so i would still stock up now though my stocking up is going on really slow now...

gar,
what's HTWM ? Half Time Working Mom ? So you'll be working part time till how long ? forgot you ask about the song tune...hehehe...i roughly guess the tune of amy's song only...

re: latching,
yeah...me enjoy latching a lot, until can't bear to think when i have to give up latching during the day when he's awake most...love it when he look at me when he's latching... :p but i also scare he'll bite later on when he's teething...

xiao yun
i think tired out method should be used for older bb or toddler but need to balance up sleep and play time. else, bb gets overtired will also get cranky. i notice that bring kids to go swimming will knock them out very easily. haha...

for the food jar, 0.9L is small ah? do you think a toddler can carry it? i was thinking to get one and let my gal to bring to school 'cos we need to prepare her own food. the school doesn't prepare special meal for her...

re: SAHM
yesterday, i told hb that how i wish i can be an SAHM to take care of 2. he asked me to go ahead... but i think with single income, i got to cut down lots of shoppings and financially no longer independent, and no more car... very mao2 dun4...

pinkie
so good! past few days, my boy zz from 8pm+ till 7am+ and i was so happy. but this habit is not consistent. yesterday he woke up at 1am+ and today 5am+...
i agree that bb grows up faster if they have enough sleep, not enough feed. with enough sleep, they can concentrate things better.
i plan to stop bf at 1 yr. but might extent my target if possible. haha... see how lah. i bf my gal till 18 mths.
i stored EBM up to 6 mths 'cos i have a standalone freezer just for the EBM.

re: JL sale
which JL is bigger and have more bb and kids stuff? marina sq or orchard?

amy
i also sing that song to my gal when she refuses to do things e.g. wash hand, brush teeth, bathing. haha.. and it works 'cos she finds it's fun to sing and do things at the same time.
haven't sung it to my boy yet. when i bathed him, i just tell him what i am doing now...
your ss is so good! 2 drawers filled up.

frentee
you can't stop the ss immediately, it will cause engorgement. need to do it slowly... i.e. stretch the pumping interval longer and longer gradually.
if you don't have time to pump, why not 'train' your breast and bf your bb before sleep and before you goes to work?

good morning!!!

today is my last day as SAHM..sob sob!
but my G gave me a present! he flipped over from lying on his back to lying on his tummy!!! not once but twice.me so so happy!!!cos i am the first one to see it!

re:lunch box
sunny, i wont recommend that for a tod. how abt getting those cute cute compact lunch box for he instead?

dor
wah, you must be super duper happy. i hope that my boy can show me the stunt before i start work. i missed my gal's all 1st action e.g. flip, sit, crawl, walk last time. so sad.... that's when i really hope i can be SAHM, so i won't miss anything... *sigh*

cute compact lunch box? is there any which can keep warm for at least 4 hrs? microwaveable?

re: lunch jar
sunny,
0.9L should be sufficient for toddler to bring food.

re: cooler bag
dor,
notice that you use the Medela cooler bag. have you tested out if it can really last for 12 hours?
I find mine cannot. as a result, i am going to get a FTG.

re: bib
I found cute PEVA water proof bibs. suitable for babies during meal or drawing.
shown as picture below. does singapore has? how much is that?
1404469.jpg

1404470.jpg

1404471.jpg

dor, wow thats a wonderful present for you indeed! :D

sahm- I think independence is a concern for many moms when considering whether or not to be a sahm. But I feel that if the husband is truly 100% supportive, 'independence' shdnt be an issue, casue even tho techinically the hb brings the salary home, this salary shdnt be viewed as HIS, its should be THEIRS right? As in both shd have equal right/say/authority to decide how the money is spent, similar to if a couple both works and pools their income together as the family's income? And its not like the wife sits around eating bon bons in front of the TV the entire day, a sahm WORKS too, just that her work is done at home. Personally, as a sahm I dont feel that I've lost my 'independence' at all. But of cos if the hb is not supportive to begin with, then thats another discussion altogether. Just my humble views.
happy.gif

dor,
you must be so happy!! congrats!!

berry,
you're one lucky mom. some couples (like yours truly) need to support parents on both sides financially (i'm only child, hb has a 18yr old sis still schooling). my parents have dedicated a huge chunk of their life and $$ to giving me the best. now that they are elderly, i dun wan them to have to worry about $$ so working gives me the ability to provide for them on top of my own family needs with a baby. it's going to be hard to stop work lor. i think i've always entertained the thought to be a SAHM, but realistically know that it's going to be tough unless i strike TOTO or 4D (but i dun even buy to begin with so there goes any hope haha)!

xiaoyun,
my medela cooler bag has only been tested for 5 hours. milk is still cold. will be out from 845am to 345pm today. that's 7 hours. let you know how it performs.

sunny,
re:cute compact lunch box
ah... cos usually i pack only finger food for my gal for recess. so i dun need one that can keep warm.
u can try taka?

xiaoyun
re: bib
nice. i am interested!

re:cooler bag
die lah, i haven try
sad.gif
just put the block into freezer.blur already. tml morning, i will express at 7am.. aiming at noon n also 5.30pm to express in office.
latch abt 7pm n express again abt 10pm n 3am.. hopefully, it will works.

re:G flipping
sunny/berry/xiaoyun/cheryl,
thanks!!! this make me even more bu she de....
just now, he tried to flip again. this time, he stuck at 90degrees.. keep looking at me.. i keep telling him to try n encourage him with every movement he attempted. after a while, he made it again... it just melt my heart
happy.gif

sunny, ya loh.. i missed all my gal's 1st
sad.gif

tute,
ya HTWM is half time working mum. only for 4 weeks cos i took 2 weeks ML as 4 weeks of half days (2 weeks doing afternoon shift, 2 weeks doing morning shift...so now i piece 2 together and can work out how timing goes if i were to be on full day).

i need a refresher course on time mgmt. as a working mum with no maid, must be super duper organized!!!

dor,
re: G flipping
Feel so happy for u !!! Tat's really fast..
happy.gif

dor, try to video it down .. it will be a good memory for life..
i videoed my son's flipping action in my hp so that i can watch it anytime i wan..
happy.gif

xiaoyun,
i remembered seeing those bibs in BP sometime back.. maynot not in same design but similar..

morning ladies!

Dor,
congrats! so happy for you
happy.gif

my bb still can't flip...in fact he dun like to be put lying down on his tummy....?? cos we didn't do this for him to sleep (he always sleeps on his back). whenever i try to put him on his tummy, he'll struggle--looks like when we 'flip a tortise over on his back'. i wonder if this is normal?

xiaoyun,
thks for checking out on the lunch jar.
the medela cooler bag u din put the ice pack inside?

dor,
wow, G is fast. my A haven't even turn from tummy to back yet. recently she refuse to go on tummy. she used to do "push ups" when we put her on tummy. recently she like no strength. put her on tummy she go ngek ngek. my mil say maybe her head to big and heavy...

re: baby's sleeping time
my fil likes to play with bb at 11pm+ after she drinks her milk, when i feel that she should be put to sleep. but i dun intend to tell him.

re: pumping
i have reduced the no. of times i pump from 7 to 5 times. today busy day, think can only pump maybe 4 times in total. ss will drop if i continue like this right?

Wow Dor G can flip already! That is fast! Now have to wait for my boi to do that. Have been putting him on his tummy to train him on lifting his head up but end up he will fuss abit and cry. haha

Mummies do you find it like half hearted when working? One part of you wants to work another part of you do not wants to work!

half hearted - yes and no.

lots of work coming in like avalanche...so no time to feel half hearted.

when i'm free, then yes!!!

Dor
aww...that's nice of G to encourage his mom on her last day of SAHM-hood!

I cold turkey myself today from my girl. Except for latch at 6am, even tho I am home, I did not carry her or play with her. Just let my mom do everything for her. I"m going to stay out of house later to see if I can tahan many hours without her.
sad.gif

Next time I touch her will be latch at 7pm. *sob sob* Tomorrow is the real deal - back to work full time. sigh.

Dor, my schedule abt same as yours. Does G need a feed in the middle of night? After you pump at 3am, do you need to wake up again to feed?

mummies, thanks!!!
ya, suddenly, i felt as tho i am a first time mum again.

pigletail/bx
initially,G also dun like to sleep on tummy.. in a way, we force him to.. we will pat pat him to sleep then put he on tummy.. first time, only managed 20mins...

half hearted...
vine, veri!!
my gal first word is "ah ma" not "mummy"
i wish i am there for his everything.

bkkgal,
re:cold turkey
i also dun plan to latch him until abt 7pm(plsn to latch this time everyday) but i cant bear not to hold him
sad.gif

+hi-five+on the schedule!!!
yes, G needs a feed at nite. usually, abt3-4am.this feed is fm(done by hb)but if not enough, i will latch. we dream feed him abt 11-12midnite.
but hor these 2 days, after his feed(3-4am), instead of gg back to sleep, he starts to talk n play!!!

hahaha, yeah they are at the age now where play is more interesting than eating/sleeping. my girl woke up the other night and started talking to her mobile. i didn't go in, just watched her thru the monitor, after a while she got tired and dropped off to sleep. so cute. hee.

My boi recently at nite after his feed ard 2 plus and 4 plus will have hard time to fall asleep again need to pat him and also cover his eyes with hanky (yea i know its nite time and dark!) if not he wont go to sleep. Any mummy have this problems?

re: medela cooler bag
bx/garfield/dor,
i tested it last time. with ice pack in non-aircon room condition. from 3 pm to 3 am.
checked it at 8-9 pm, still cool cool. but when I wake up at 3 am, it's no longer cool anymore.
perhaps it can tahan longer in air-con room.
anyway, going to get a FTG and borrow company's fridge to put my cooler bag.

re: water proof bib
dor/happy,
i remembered seeing the water proof bib in BP before. if not wrong, the BP one is long sleeve.
can't remember the price.
calculated should be around $15 include shipping. worth to get?

re: cold turkey from bb
in fact i don't really bu she de le. am i a bad mummy?
however, I enforce bottle feed from 8 am to 8 pm so that she will take bottle.

garfield, yeah I do think I am blessed to be here for them daily. But then again, what 'enough' is can be a very subjective thing- to some, 'enough' means a roof over their heads and meals on the table. For others, 'enough' means yearly travels, substantial retirement funds and monthly designer splurges and beauty treatments. I know sahms who really do give up alot because they feel that its worth it in the end. Of cos, this doesnt mean that FTWMs are giving lesser to their kids. I also know a few FTWMs who are some of the most dedicated mummies around, and their bond with their kids has never been compromised. For us, of course there are financial adjustments to be made when we decided for me to be a sahm. I think most people will certainly be affected financially when there is only one income, unless they have an infinite amount of money lol! I have been told once by someone that I seem to really be living it up cause I rarely complain and whine about the nitty-gritty details about being a sahm. The truth is, sometimes I feel that what we focus more on, we get more of. I prefer to spend my time focusing on the good. So its not that I dont make sacrifices or that money is never a worry, just that I choose not to dwell on them.
happy.gif

Dorothy, if this comforts you, my DD's first word is.... BREAD! And for a long time, she decided to call ME 'daddy' cause apparently she thinks its funny lol, so I was 'daddy' for many months before she decided to call me mummy! :p

hi bkkgal,
your "beach babe" swim set is oos..
sad.gif

would u like me to order your alternative "flamingo" swim set in batch 2 or do u wan me to refund u back ?

Ohayo Mummies,
i'm feeling a better today
happy.gif

had a good talk (discussion?) with my hb... he supports me in whatever decision so i feel happy now
happy.gif

amy,
nonid fenugreek now as yet 'cos my milk supply is more than enough... i latch on all day and still can manage to store 2 bags (150ml/ea)
happy.gif

more of headache on wat to do with the 50+ bottles & bags of milk i stored in Mar
sad.gif

re: troubleshooting
1) stored in bottles with proper plastic sealing discs & caps or medela milk bags. the milkbags have ziploc seal so no rubberbands used
2) i put the bottles out in room temperature, until completely thawed then i put in fridge - ready for use. i use a milk/food warmer to warm milk, about 10mins
3) dun notice a yellow layer, rather - the milk is more yellowish than what i have now

jeannie,
maybe it's the fishy smell lah, the moment i tasted it i wanna puke. this morn i try to taste a few drops of my leakage and it tastes bland, but no pungent smell like the frozen EBM.
think you might wanna let your girl try a bit of your frozen EBM and standby FM, in case she reject...
actually during confinement, my boy was bottle-fed. after that, when i was on my own, he refuses to latch on.
guess what? cruel mommy me let him cry 5mins at my breast, until he finally gave in
happy.gif

happened for the subsequent feed and after that, he's latching on like nobody's business
happy.gif

think it's all habitual rather than total rejection, juz have to be a bit "cruel" bah...

garfield,
i tried 2 bots the day before, and 1 bot yesterday. he gives me that "yucky" face so i really dunno what's wrong. and at night when my hubby feed FM, he drinks... so it's definitely not the bottle
sad.gif

took out 2 more bots today and they still smell the same...

jeannie,
erm... when bb fidget need to feed?? i always let my boy fidget 'cos a while later he'll zzz... correct mah?

bkkgal,
actually, i also dunno what to do with my boy
sad.gif

i'll sometimes put him in the playgym and watch him... that's about all. plus he always sleeps.
juz now after i bathe him, he keep wailing... i thought what happened so cuddle him. end up he wanted to sleep, cos the moment i put him in the sarong he zzz liaoz...

kelly,
SAHM is good, but i think i can't do it, cos i simply dunno what to do at home with my boy...
maybe you can share what you do with your kids...?
happy.gif

sunny,
wow... 6mos? have you tried the milk? can drink?

dorothy,
wow... great present from your boy!
happy.gif

he can flip over ah... my boy can only turn to his side, and only right side...

juz realised this became a super long post... paiseh

sunny: how many times did you pump in office? after you rinse with hot water, do you wait for it to dry up first or pump straight away? the hot water will remain in the pump and mix with our milk, will that be ok?

vinegal: ur boy has been drinking frozen EBM hor? he never reject ?

bf for 1 year: will your ss auto slows down after 1 year? will u still continue if there's still continue ss?

amy: there were only 2 mummies collecting sling at j8 that day right? i was the one with doreen. not manage to ask u to teach me how to sling :p
btw, you said your colleagues bf for 7 years??? serious? If we continue to express milk everyday, milk will still diminish after 1 year??

sunny: is the standalone freezer expensive? i'm thinking to get one too.

dor: wow great to know that your son has flipped! my son looks like lazy fat boy, cant flip yet :p

tongtong, from what I understand, as long as there is demand, there will be supply. If your SS has been established, as long as you carry on latching or even pumping regularly, you will have BM even after 1-2 years. There are some mummies who choose to let the child self-wean (more applicable to bbs who bf via latching, but prob not as common locally as in western countries), which means that they may end up BF till the child is as old as even 4-5years old.

re: bb drinking volume
happy,
my gal 11 weeks and now drinking 130 ml. I must have overfed her. :p

re: waterproof bib
dor/happy,
saw something waterproof from BP.
$11
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/1379484.html?1208960349

The one I posted nicer or BP on nicer?

dor,
u already bought from the thread! have you got it? nice? notice that the Nissen one is 80% polyester and 20% cotton. Probably a bit harder to clean than the one that I showed earlier.

p1nk1e, some mummies try mixing frozen EBM (thawed) with refrigerated EBM first. Maybe you can try for your baby first then slowly give pure frozen EBM? Actually, I think as long as you perservere, baby will adjust and take it, esp when hungry. Be hard hearted a bit lor, frozen EBM still better than FM next time. ;)

Gar, same situation as you. Even though hubby say I can quit job, realistically, I think it's difficult for him to pay for my parents' allowance, my insurance policies plus baby's expenses.

Dor, we had the same EDD but my gal born earlier. She started flipping close to 3 months too, but until now, one arm is still caught, she don't know how to take out that arm and lift her body up when on tummy so will cry. :p

Going back to KK for bb's hearing test today cos she had ear infection last month.

hi,

any 1 can share how to clear cradle cap on bb's hair?that time was eyebrow,now is the head :<
any way we can prevent cradle cap on hair and eyebrow??

hi xiaoyun,
bib
urs is nicer,more suitable for drawing also

hi amy,

would be organising any spree for Scholastic??

kitsune,
thanks for the encouragement!
happy.gif

i'll try again tomorrow, give my boy a break today!
happy.gif

maybe start by giving him abt 50ml of frozen ebm, den latch-on... see if it works!
happy.gif

jts
i called Mt E lactation consultant to check
- fishy smell is normal
- as long as milk is not curdish it's fine
- do not thaw milk in room temp, transfer from freezer to fridge overnight
- consume thawed ebm within 24hours

pinkie,
so it means that for example tmr i wanna feed my bb frozen EBM, i take out from freezer and put in fridge tonight, let it thaw. tmr let my bb drink within 24 hrs right?

berry
i think a lot of pple have the impression that SAHM = tai-tai. a lot of pple keep saying oh you can be tai tai now but it's so not true loh..

kitsune, gar
i also thought abt being SAHM but think it's more pressure on the husband. also i like buying things with my own money, like shopping online, hahah..
happy.gif

bx,
correct - that's what the consultant told me.
but do take note that this will take quite some time so if you need it faster, can thaw using warm water
happy.gif

dor
congrats on G flipping. that day my boy was crying on the bed and kept turning his body towards the side. think he's gonna flip one of these days. better standby my camera to video it.

bx
ya, that's what i'm doing for the frozen ebm. take out from freezer the nite before. next morning/afternoon can use liao.

M_mummy,

I am using Medela Micro-steam bag to sterilise my pump in office. I find its very convenient..Just put everything in the bag, place in microwave for 3 mins..Done!! But the tubing has to sterilise separately if using the bag. So usually i will only sterilise the tubing at home to save up the usage of the micro steam bag. One bag can use up to 20 times. This bag can only buy at KK hospital. Hope this info is helpful for you...Happy BF, EBM &amp; Pumping
happy.gif

happybee,
yellow layer on top? mine doesn't have that...
did you try to shake/mix the milk?
dun bother tasting ebm 'cos it's smelly and yet tastes bland (i realised) so there's no way we can tell lah...

pinkie
i didn't try the milk leh. i read that EBM can be stored in deep freezer for up to 6 mths. my gal drank liao ok leh.

tongtong
i bought the standalone freezer from carrefour. around $300.
last time i pumped 3 times in the office - 930am, 1pm and 430pm. after using hot water to rinse, i put it in the ziplock bag, didn't have time to wait for it to dry. then, when i was going to use it, i rinse with hot water again. with some water in the bottle so far was fine woh...

berry
agree with you that both parties need to communicate if one is not going to work and bring income home. for us, need to really work out and change the spending pattern if i am not working as i contribute quite a fair share of the household expenditure loh... and the monthly household saving can be really pathetic if one of us is not working. probably, i am not ready to sacrifice the luxury of spending on things whenever i want to without the need to consider the monthly deficit in the bank a/c...

p1nk1e,

yes, like layered of oil. i will shake and mix with milk, so end up milk look yellowish. initially i tot this is normal till i see some posting discussing frozen BM, then i start to worry liao
sad.gif

iso
in fact being an SAHM is tough. lots of expectations on SAHM. if kids are sick, misbehave, etc etc... ppl will ask if the mummy is doing a good job. and if house if not clean and messy, ppl will ask also. not easy. and definitely not tai tai...

Back