2007 Buangkok Mom??

gals.. i cant make up my mind.. whether to let my boy stays at 1st skool for his Nursery - K2 or should I put him in pcf.. and also.. whether to let my gal to join him in 1st skool in Nov or to those 3hrs programme.. I don't think I can handle 2 kids on my own if both goes for 3hrs programme.... in a dilemma..

wan i'm intersetd in some of those stories telling prog (there's one with puppet i tink .. ) was looking out for anyting with hands on de .. but these few days i'm ultra tired le ..
my hb ah ma passed away and he's out of town cant rush back so i felt dat i shld rep him @ the wake.. and sr is ultra clingy, i had to carry her thru'out the whole 4 hrs ritual last nite, lucky got breaks in between..
next week when i back @ wk will chk out more during lunch breaks

May,
IMO, it dep on whether u plan to return to workforce in near future. If u intend to b sahm for another few yrs, then 2-3hr playgroup/ nursery is better. If u intend to work soon, better settle them in childcare & build up their immunity & independence.

slimz,
u need rest. It's difficult esp when ur hb is not in town. Take care!

wan.. i wish to go back to workforce.. coz i feel that the longer I am out of workforce, the more difficult it is for mi to find job..
somemore im only 25.. dun realli wanna be a sahm.. (but my mum keep nagging mi and telling mi how she gave up work and took care of mi and my bro.. says tat i shld be like her.. blablabla)
also, if i put them in childcare.. when any1 of them are sick.. i cant be the one keep taking leave to take care of them.. due to my hb's nature of wrk.. kinda difficult for him to take urgent leave or long leave... sigh.. tats y soooo headache..

May,
made me envious of ur age. Wish I could turn bk the clock...
would be gd if ur mum can help, esp when children fall sick

wan.. tats the prob.. my mum already expressed herself that she dun wanna help mi anymore.. i guess, she's tired of taking care of my kids and she wanna spend time enjoying herself now..

i cant be selfish and insist her to help out.. so sigh.. i wonder when i can goes back to workforce without worries.. very unlikely coz hb also says its gd for mi to stay hm.. grrr..

Heard CH fees went up. Enrichment cost not included. A few mums considering to tranf. The teacher I know left. So no review on nursery curriculum. I like the environment. The fruit park n floating platform have completed. Kids have opportunity to be in touch w nature, compared w hdb childcare

yeah.. the fees went up liao.. abt 640 after subsidy.. i think wif the enrichment included will be abt near 1k.. my mum offered to help mi financially... y r the mummies considering to trf? is it coz of the rising fees or issit other matter??

Hi May,
I hv MSN but seldom online these days. Perhaps u can pte msg me ur qns abt maids?
But hor after going thru all these maids over all these yrs, I'm quite anti-maid lah. If not, y am i a SAHM now?
hehehehe...:b

Mayb it's just my luck lah, even had to yell at a fili maid at playground ytd when she rammed into Jb who were still at the bottom of the double-slide. I never expect her to behave so irresponsibily &amp; the way she always pulled the arm of the <2yo toddler she was taking care of, i really try not to c. Sigh...mayb i too long w/o maid le.

Din't know u r so young! Hmmm..any consolation if I say u can still go back to work/take up a course etc when both kids in pri sch? But then it really depends on what u want in life, everything has its trade-off. Ask urself, what will really, really make u happy &amp; benefit the family as a whole. Then give it a try w a target review date so that there is an exit clause for u &amp; every1 involved.

My mum was quite skeptical when I decided to stop working &amp; everybody really v worried if i can handle the 2 kids w/o maid when I finally decided to axe the last 1 but I did. Then I further surprised them w my cooking. Me really a dark horse lah.
hahahaa... :b
So don't worry too much, just make sure u r able to sustain long-term wrt childcare arrangement.

Hi Wan,
Think i saw the church structural frame when driving past last weekend. Hope won't worsen the parking problem when it's up. :b

We had been to the Asian civilisation museum (its activites v well-organised &amp; even 2yo Jb then enjoyed the sand-art etc), am thinking of philatelic this time. Anyway, there is also Navy Open House this weekends &amp; hubby is thinking of bringing Jx there again. Hope it won't rain!
happy.gif

Vamiga,
didn't worked out as planned. De didn't like music class. Bz at work, can't take leave to go museum n wkend has commitment.

Hdb building temp surface carpark opp kopitiam

vamiga.. after thinking and thinking.. i can't stand having a stranger in my house.. so i'll have to rid the idea.. and also, keep explaining to my mum why i don't wan a maid..

thanks wan! i'll take a look! im suppose to take a look tml at 5.30pm.. wanted to go down during their class.. but a lady, june chua said they dun allow visits during their curriculum.. dun knw why is it so.. coz i wanna see how the class is conducted and how the kids behave etc.. so was really puzzled why its not allowed..

May, did u make that conclusion after reading the thread? what r ur criteria for selection? r u planning to send them there or by sch bus?

I guess changing teacher in kindy/childcare is quite common. teachers are also human. changing jobs in singapore is norm. but the school/childcare must have proper procedure to inform parents and students. at PCF last year, De had 3 different teachers althogether. But the principle did inform us at the end of the semester. I was abit worried that De might be attached to the teacher and refused to go school again. I was lucky the 3rd teacher who continues with them to K1 is the best among the rest (from my meeting with her). She told me their literacy level at nursery was too low. After she took over, I could see much progress in De's reading and comprehension. So she is not 'talk only' type, can really deliver.

PCF not bad la. or sparkletots? 1st school ok right, except HFMD scare now?

wan... coz i read thru the thread.. the principal is not active in informing the parents on the teachers who left and who took over.. and they keep changing teachers! Review for PG is ok.. they have all sort of praises.. but nursery onwards.. no so gd.. lotsa ranting abt the teacher, the work the kids done etc...

im going to northstar branch to take a look later.. will see how it is.. afterall, the sch only opened for 3mths.. so the kids are rather "fresh" there.. even if ayden joins, he's not the new and odd one out ma.. scare wait kids dun play with the "new bird" lol..

actually 1st skool is ok.. ayden likes the teachers and he already got used to the sch.. but they cant confirm with the parents whether there will be nursery - k2 classes in that branch.. so if there isn't, kids will be trf to the other branch further down the road.. so end up.. he's gonna re-adapt again.. so since he's gonna re-adapt again, i rather change to a better sch.. coz i feel, wat they teaches is not comprehensive enuff... and ya! the hfmd scare is sooo scary! and it's always so full blown with more than 10kids kanna.. and it always last more than 2weeks... then end up, ayden got to stay at hm for 2weeks.. (kiasi mummy)

may, not kaisi la.. its to play safe..if our kiddos down with hfmd we r the ones + them who suffers lor..
sr is confirm gg schhse tis june (7th) .. cross fingers she adapts well..
my neighbor said the carpe diem ard our area is good (the curriculum wise, not sure abt other aspects) u wan chk them out too?
northstar is dat bldg along YCK road rite? its rite @ the corner of the bldg. Yday evening we went there 4 dinner and i peeped in. they locked the door, cant go in n see further. Hmm... but my dad commented that its dangerous that the sch is located so near to the road (not the main road, its the road to the carparks etc)

vamiga, i oso tempted to bring sr to those museums tingy gg on these weeks.. but w/o HB and i'm sick .. urgh ..

tis sun gotta bring sr for her cold storage kids run on my own ... hope i wont b > sick aft that

ya.. they dun allow parents to visit during their curriculum coz its their policy.. they dun want visitors to disturb the kids when having class.. (well.. come to think of it.. if my kid is studying there.. i also dun want visitors to disturb la) so i understand.. the teacher ask mi to visit at 3.30pm after their curriculum.

as for beside the road ah.. eh.. i tink i better take a look tml when i visit.

carpe diem issit the bungalow style of cc or issit like a centre? i dun realli like those bungalow style cc leh..

i wanna bring ayden to watch the shrek 3 leh..

Hi Slimz,
If already sick then skip the kids run lah, else u how to tong till ur hubby back?
When is he coming back? How come the co. so jialat, never let him fly back to attend his grandma's funeral?

How is the food at North Star?
Parking free?

Hi May,

HFMD is v common among pre-sch but usually will spread faster in childcare. So u will hv to brace 4 that if still keen on cc.
I used to keep Jx away fr cc whenever there was an outbreak even tho I was working then. But was too late once due to news blackout, so he still kena &amp; I had to extend my leave.

I avoid cc for Jb but then he also sway lah, the only 1 to kena in his sch earlier this yr bcos of a classmate who caught it while attending GUG outside. Fortunately, we spotted it early b4 he could spread to others.

Hi Wan,
Am supervising the carpark construction everyday. :b
Tot it would b a multi-storey to cater to the demand. Heard residents hv been complaining not enough lots now.

Is parent allowed to sit in for De's music class?
What had happened during the class?

Once, I brought Jx to observe a Yamaha class near Parkway thru the glass panel &amp; he didn't like the (slightly drabby) place at all.

However, he was v excited after I showed him a Yamaha promotional VCD &amp; his interest was further aroused when I brought him to observe the class at its Sengkang cc branch a few mths later, b4 I decided to sign him up for its JMC 2yrs ago.

Intend to let Jb go for Yamaha's JMC too when he is 4yo+ even tho he is v v keen after attending Jx's mini class concert once. Now he can hum/sing some of the songs.
happy.gif
We like the structure &amp; interesting delivery of JMC. In fact, hubby revived his interest in piano after attending the last 1 yr w Jx when I had to stay at home to take care of Jb.
hahahaa... He was the 1 v keen to get the piano. :b

Too bad we don't really like the teacher for the advance course, so had started Jx on pte music lesson instead. Tomo will b his 3rd lesson. So far so good while we r still adjusting the more demanding practices &amp; the teacher is still trying to ascertain his competency in theories &amp; practical. Think she doesn't hv JMC students b4 bcos she was surprised at his std, even tho he is pretty average in class.
She is quite keen for him to go for Grade 1 exam soon but I rather prefer him to just enjoy music. However, Jx is v competitive &amp; is keen for grading too. *faint*

vamiga.. im now wondering if i shld put megan in cc instead and let ayden hav 3hrly class daily.. coz i dun tink i cant handle both alone lor.. now searching for alternative.. in case pcf dun hav space lor...

i was told that pcf is balloting one leh.. today after i reg.. already queue no. to 30 liao.. and it was only 1hr since it open its registration lor...

I jus cant make up my mind on where to put them!!! aiyoyoyoyo

vamiga,

re: carpark
not cost effective to build temp multi-storey carpark. URA dun even install barrier/ ERP at popular surface carpark until recently eg. lavendar

re: music
Teacher allowed me to bring meimei along for the class. De sat at the keyboard, felt bored, not as much circle time and hands on activity compared with Playdates! but I plan to teach him keyboard at home myself, so he feels motivated to go. He said he will let meimei sit at the keyboard this sat. at least he agreed to follow. meimei, on the other hand, was excited and dancing around with the rhythm. but teacher said she was too young to join

can u share more on JMC? Teacher June was ex-yamaha teacher, so I guess the music appreciation and focus on listening instead of score-reading is somewhat similar.

I will continue to reinforce what he learnt through art &amp; craft as it is his favourite activity after all. not so keen on grading as I don't believe that having grade 8 means anything (I have grade 8 myself, but didn't touch piano for the last 10 years)

May,

so u register ayden at pcf? instead of 3hr class, u may want to add enrichment. few hours lesser to handle 2 kids. by the time he's home, he can take a nap b4 dinner. evening ur hb should be home right?

personally, I find 18mo too young to start full day childcare, if u have a choice. their immunity system is not strong enough...

Hi May,
What time u Q today?
I'm wondering if i need to go earlier than 9am to Q next mon/tue or go ard 11am &amp; hope the bottleneck is over &amp; can make it to e kids' sch by noon. If i go after sending jb to sch, it will b ard 915am, sure peak of the crowd. Too bad i can't go in pm, as Jb will b napping then. Or mayb i would, if i c the Q too long in the a.m. :b

I think ur chance for getting into PCF is quite high as there shldn't b that many siblings of existing pupils enrolling &amp; there shld b enough vacancy catering to nearby residents. So don't worry.

As to which kid shld b spending more time at home w u, perhaps a pt of consideration would b who will benefit more from it.
When Jx was in 4hr K2, I found it quite ok to let Jb go to 3.5hr playgroup in the same a.m. session, as I could get housework/meal preparation/errands done while they were in sch. Then 3 of us lunched at home after sch &amp; Jx rested/did homework while Jb nap.
If Jb were not to attend sch then, it would b v frustrating 4 me as nothing could b done in the a.m. &amp; I would b v tired by pm after chasing after him whole a.m.
Y not give Jb's sch a try for 1-2 yrs when Megan is 17mo?
They r v flexible w hours &amp; the fee is reasonable given the std.
http://www.kindertots.blogspot.com/

Hi Wan,

Dint know the carpark is only temp. But then Fernvale pt is supposed to b temp for 2yrs but now still alive &amp; kicking (stronger).
hahahaa... :b

We went thru at least 4-5 teachers during Jx's JMC bcos we had to defer a term when we were away in HK for a mth &amp; both classes' teachers went on bedrest/maternity leave etc but so far the teachers' method r similiar. Kids will b called to the front of class for singing/teacher's story telling abt the songs/notes &amp; cluster ard teacher's piano for memory singing. These r alternate w playing the keyboard/magnetic board at their own place so there is full of activities throughout the lesson. No time for the kids to get bored. We parents r just facilitators to help them up &amp; down the stool constantly &amp; sing along to the songs.
hahahaa...
At home, there r DVD &amp; CD for the kids to learn the songs/melody/theory. The pace is comfy for young kids. Practice at its most intensive b4 grading at end of 2yr is 30min max. Usually 10-15min daily is good enough.

Wow! The q-ing sounds scary...

Hdb has to build fernvale pt as the BTO w/out commercial did not meet quota. Nowadays flats r not built w coffeshop n mama shop downstairs. So a neighbourhood mall is essential. I thk it is for 10yrs. In land scare Singapore, we can no longer justify building surface carpark, so it's either basement or multistorey

I will try to weave music into our daily life where possible. I hate structured learning n practising for exam. 1st lesson was abit disorganized bcos it takes time for kids to settle down. Hope coming lesson is better

Hi Wan,
How many trial lessons r there? Class size?
In JMC, the drop out rate is ard 40-60% by end of e 2yr course in most of the classes w most of them dropping out after 1st 1-2 term.

I think group lesson is usually able to sustain younger kids' interest longer &amp; better even tho I hv friends who think it is a waste of time compared to pte lesson.
Well, pre-schoolers hv lots of time to waste mah.
hahahaa...

However, a good &amp; interesting teacher is equally important. Jx's relief teacher during his final mth of JMC is quite a kill-joy, kept harping on exam &amp; at 1st we tot it's bcos JMC's grading was approaching. Then to our horror, she started talking to parents abt JXC's exam which is another 2yrs 3mths away instead of engaging the kids till end of lesson time after their final class concert. So we decided not to continue JXC w her (another teacher's class will b on weekday nite which is too rushed 4 us) even tho it focus more on listening, harmonising, creative composition etc which shld b more interesting than most pte lessons.

If it's for 10yrs, then Fernvale pt really falls short in terms of lack of a safe, sheltered drop-off pt, a carpark lift, toilet within tenant premises, unloading bays for trucks, drippy roof along corridors, poor ventilation in coffeeshop despite the fans &amp; a v noisy (zinc?) roof when raining.
hahahaa... guess i need a change of school > Jb! :b

Trial for 3 lessons. 6 in a group. All K1 K2 w no music background.

I tot de n mei missed playdates! Tot of starting another fun activity every sat so that we can look forward to wkend together. Will review along the way...

No more playdates! since this yr cos her eldest son attend pri 1 pm session, schedule changed n no time to prepare materials. Her youngest son not ready to start so she will focus on her kids 1st. Miss the fun...

vamiga.. now tat the principal in my 1st skool has assured mi that there will be nursery - k2 in tat branch (being the pilot class).. i probably might jus let him stay there.. coz he's used to the sch already.. as for megan, i tot of letting him join the 3-4hr classes like wat u mentioned. if i wan, i can still let her join her bro sch at a later date.. orr.. if she likes the 3-4hrly class and she get to learn, i'll jus leave her there.. btw, kindertots got up till k2 huh?? does ur kids learn alot?

vamiga.. can u tell mi how much is the fees? seems intertesting and it's realli gd tat they take pics of wat they are doing etc.. is it directly at fernvale lrt?

Hi May,
Good that 1st skool can commit till K2.
happy.gif

Just called up PCF &amp; spoke to the principal. I might not even need to register next week le. *sob*
She told me to call b4 going bcos of overwhelming response these 2 days &amp; there is still tomo for this phase. Even recommend me to try 206, which is actually more inconvenient 4 me.
Based on current response, she already need to add 1 more class, total 5. Chances r there will b a need to ballot among Punggol South residents for the more popular time-slots. Did u put in 2nd choice?

So Jb might need to stay put at Kindertots till K1 if i dont mind him going pm session in k1 at blk 303 PCF which is jx's ex sch. So keeping my fingers crossed!

Kindertots is next to Fernvale LRT &amp; there is a quite new PCF next blk too.
It started to offer up to K2 only this yr, else i would hv transfer jx over at K2 as his PCF then was really bad!
Not sure if it's his own developmental phases but Jb is always surprising us w things he'd learnt fr sch, be it counting (20 in chinese &amp; more in English), songs, drawing, writing (my best friend was amazed as she has a 3.5yo daughter at Cherie Hearts Tampines since 2yo &amp; was just asking me if there is any Kindertots branch there), Chinese Tang Poetry &amp; nursery poems etc &amp; he is not even 3yo yet. We only play &amp; talk w him at home &amp; reading is quite minimal, as he not v patient. Yet he is v attentive when it's teachers reading to them in small group. Evident in e pix on my FB abt his sch days &amp; also when I managed to catch them at it if I were to arrive earlier to fetch him home.

However, the confidence in my recommendations arises from the teachers themselves. They r v caring &amp; need not yell/shout at e kids (unlike those in some cc &amp; Jx's previous cc) to get them to do things. Instead they talk v nicely to the kids &amp; their effort in the recent mid-yr report is impressive.
Jb was only 19mo when 1st joined &amp; is v shy &amp; sticky type, so it took him 1 mth to settle down. However, his crying after i left was really minimal (<5min), as the teachers were able to comfort/distract him v v well. I always returned to peep).

Re fee, I don't hv the specifics for current playgroup but I am paying $225 nett for 2hr N1 + 0.5hr (to bridge between N1 class &amp; N2 Chinese class) every 20days &amp; $30 for 1hr of N2 Chinese class every calender mth. Complicated hor?
hahahaa...told u they v flexible lah! :b
So all in all, roughly $255 per mth for 3.5hr lesson bah.
Last yr, he was attending 2 classes of Playgroup back to back once settled down.
No sch hols for playgroup &amp; N1.
Btw,some of Jb's classmates used to attend 1x,2x,3x or 5x per wk for playgroup. Not sure abt now,must check. There r optional enrichment classes (science; speech &amp; drama; music) avail for N1 onwards but i think Jb not ready yet after going for a free trial class.
Give Teacher Adil a call on # on the website &amp; she can customise something 4 u. Not sure if they hv free trial classes anymore. Btw, mentioned that u r referred by Jb will get u 10% off.
happy.gif

vamiga! for mi, if i am to put megan there when she turns 17mths, i will have to take train over worh.. not sure megan will cranky anot.. shld be ok huh!? From the pics i saw, I'm quite impressed! And they always keep parents up to date about the progress etc ya! Btw, you will have to prepare snacks for them? They have up to k2 rite?
I called.. a guy answered and told me that I have to call on monday morning and that there's vacancy for her. Well, I'll definitely give them a call on monday to enquire more.

As for pcf, I think I MIGHT give it a miss (Maybe.. still thinking..coz not everything is confirmed!)
If ayden is in cc, i tink i can put megan in the 3.5hr kindertots.. i still can take care of 1 on my own..

Hi May,
There r paper notices on top of these online stuff. Once Jb had fever &amp; teacher informed me then record his temp every 15min until i arrived. Impressed!
happy.gif

I prepare a hot bottle of milk placed in warmer bag &amp; usually a slice of bread for Jb but when he won't eat the bread &amp; teacher will give him biscuits.

Have until k2.

There's a free fernvale pt shuttle bus that stops along SK Ave at 45min interval, so u can also make use of it if timing suits. The driver auntie b4 1pm is a v nice lady.

If u let Megan nap in pm, then basically only need to give her lunch &amp; a bath after school. Reccee the place &amp; see how u feel abt it lah.

Wah.. v responsible teacher!!

I told hb abt my current plan and he says up to mi..i tink he knws that my plan always changes.. thats y he cant be bothered liao.. lol

where's sk ave huh??

slimz.. 1st skool jus informed m tat they will have nursery - k2 next yr onwards liao... hb says.. since ayden used to the sch, then jus let him conti.. coz we scare wait he cry and dun wan to go sch.. faint leh..

vamiga, his co did ask if he wan come back... but he is too far liao.. and need to transit 3 flights, almost impossible to make it bk on time, so he din come bk lor..

not sure abt northstar parking, we walked there =P

haa.. i did bring sr for the run .. haa.. now aching all over =P

Hi May,
Shld b Sengkang East Ave, the rd below our lrt track.
How old is Megan now? There might b more options popping up, e.g the church under construction shld hv preschool too.
happy.gif

Btw, I m on waitlist for pcf. Principal said long list even tho no Q at all when i was there on mon mid a.m. She surprised i oni chose e 8am time slot.
Will only know mid July. anyway, just try our luck lah, else will just continue w Kindertots.

Hi Slimz,
Wah! U superwoman leh!!
happy.gif

vamiga.. megan is 13mths now.. will see how when she reach 17mths.. now dun too kanjiong first.. lol.. so kiasu leh mi...

vamiga.. i tink pcf not suitable for mi leh.. y u dun put more choices??

Hi All,

I had just delivered my 3rd child 2 wks ago finally!! Now, I had a headache as just to get to know my maid went out to mix with friends when no one at home!! How can I entrust my newborn to her after the maternity leave? What should I do??

Congrats Shannon!
happy.gif

Who wont go out if they have the access?
That's something u would hv to let go.

Hi May,
No harm 2 shop ard 1st.
happy.gif

I don't want 1pm, as Jb will b home whole a.m. disturbing Jx doing homework etc.

If 9am, it's too late 4 hubby 2 bring him there b4 taking the train to work. Then Jx &amp; I will hv to send him ourselves like current arrangement. Then I might as well stick to his curent school which is 3.5hr &amp; I don't really hv any issue w it except no toilet within its premise due to building constraints.

Hi Slimz,
We will be driving up to cameron highlands &amp; ipoh this Sat.
happy.gif
The kids can't wait to pluck e strawberries. It'll b Jb's 1st time but he has been asking us "r we going to hotel &amp; pluck strawberries?" every a.m. for the past week.
hahaahaha...:b

Other than that, hv to keep jx entertained in the pm when jb is napping. Luckily jb can z thru Jx's piano practice w/o a stir. Amazing!
happy.gif

Hi Adeline,
How is the hol program?
Think the teachers let Jb's class involved in some of the cooking activities. He was telling us abt sugar (for e cookies?) &amp; teacher cooking eggs but he didn't get to eat etc.
hahahaa...:b

Hi Wan,
Poor thing! Big project coming up?

Vamiga, he didn't go for 3 days already having fever so let him stay at home n rest. He like it alot there but seems like he is e oldest there. He told me all small little boy he's e big brother there. Hopefully he can recover before e japan trip this Saturday. Issit common that fever on n off for so long? Doc said virus but is making me very worried. Everytime I measure his temperature will tend to feel is e themometor not working y took med still cannot recover.

Back