(2007/03) March 2007 MTBs

Caro, i dun have prob with FB but prob with msn in office. so am on meebo now.

Bakkwa: my dad was telling me it was at $50 last week. Aiyah to me it sure will go up until a year when ppl start to complain. hahaaa... very funnie my dad stayed in Chinatown and he has 3 kinds of bak kwa. 1 from Lin Zhi Yuan and one from the sis of lin zhi yuan and third one from jin fu yuan which is the best bak kwa apparently. *siao*

harlo mummies...

RE: ICR
Zy is attending rite now for which i think is suitable for her. She started with only recognising the few letters till now can prononuce the letters accurately... for me i dun have the time to teach her daily hence i let her learn at her own space.. her progress to me was rather amaze!
hence sometimes depends on the child learning speed and parents doing any coaching at home...

There are lots of others option around .. such as Allen Morris, Little Brainy, little Genius, LNT etc etc...

Astro :
Take care!!!

Yvonne: Can try Clarins Bust Lifting cream heard the comment not bad!!! haahhaha

SO fast CNy coming haven't even got time to catch my breathe ... and CNY is over!!!

Any gathering during CNY??

Bak Kwa: We eat bak kwa during non CNY time too. And usually the banks will give as gifts during CNY, so no need to buy.. I have lots of gams this year too.. Heheh..
happy.gif

Reading: I need to ask.. What exactly do our children need to read at their age besides the alphabets and their sounds?

Star, yup. EDD fast approaching. This week is 36 weeks already.

AAA, my friend's mum still tell me the breast will get fuller after childbirth. pui pui. =p

Astro, hope YH is better now... Sounds so tiring. You take care of yourself too.

CK, glad that your mum sounds better.

Germaine, when Clyde is frustrated, he'll come to you for comfort. Mine will throw a tantrum and sulk. Am at a loss sth...

star: not the first check. both boys wemt on wed.. initially thought teng was more serious coz on nuebliser and been coughing profusely.. yh yesterday was fussing till 2am .. feverish.. so today i told ellie to go bring him back to Mt A pd coz meds didn't work obviously and his cough seems to be wetter.. and high fever liao..

imagine my shock when she called me up and told me 'not good'.. and that yh might be having a secondary infection.. was running a temp of 39 plus his skin looks mottled..putting him on antibiotics and suppositories .. if fever dun come down and spike.. must bring back on sat for blood test and x-ray for infection.. worst case is to admit for intravenous antibiotics! how scary it sounds man!! in the background i hear yh crying that just adds to the worry.. i asked how come like that when yh was walking ahppily all rond in the morning.. Mt A pd has the humour to say 'well that i dunno.. he is always crying when he sees me!'.. :S

QQ: not suddenly.. as per explained to star..

thanks kiddo & Ck.

huingee: hmm.. then i think teng mnight be in that course too.. today was trying to teach him to decode three letters words which ends with 'at'.. he could sound all the letters.. but just can't put them together.. even though he already pronounce the word letter by letter liao!..i was trying to teach him to read the word cat, mat, hat, pat, bat..
he's very clever.. coz i was trying to teach him to sound 'hat'.. then he couldn't get it. i started drawing a picture ot him.. he got it. then for every word i try to teach him to read.. he sounds the letters.. then i prompt him to read the entire word.. he will shake his head and say 'no .. u draw!'.. or ask me do action. like 'pat'.. the boy thinking i playing pictionary with him?!

YH's fever is down with panadol and two doses of antibiotics.. need to monitor him liao..

AA/star: refer to the link to know what mottled skin looks like.. our bbs all have this when they were younger.. but i guess as they get older.. then they shd not.. and mottled skin is a sign of high fever.. i think according to ellie he was also looking purplish.. :S
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nellynero/4189343141/

he is fine walking around happily when no fever.. ithink Mt A pd wanted to be safe.. which i am happy for her to be..

Huingee/QQ: no.. the boys did not go to Dr ong.. coz she wanted appts on tuesday.. and i didn't have time to go and call..

SQ: i dunno if i am considered strong.. i think the process will still carry out irregardless of how i react.. i know my coping tendency is to worry and whine first.. then then i try to handle as the event runs its course. .. dunno if it is considered strong. my colleague was interesting commenting 'u dun let adversity gets to u'.. that sets me thinking if my AQ (adversity quotient) is that high.. despite a low EQ.. but i felt like killing miser.. he was his usual monosyllabic self when i called him to tell him abt yh. i asked him if he can talk. he says no. coz haivng lunch?! then aft that sms me.. what the hell....
maybe i have become tougher.. coz i am married to miser?!!!! :S

thanks moogen. i just hope nothing major happens over CNY *touch wood*
36 weeks for u liao! yeh. soon soon!

AA: i think must be able to read simple words.. these words are also called high frequency words or sight words.. they shd have the ability to decode a three letters words...
some example of sight words .. are 'see', 'can'..'big' and some common four letters word 'jump', 'good'.. etc
my book two move the kid on to common words families..

ops.. as i flip through my two books. i realised what i did in the evening with teng. is 'over'.. i shd be starting him on the basic 'a', 'can' 'i', 'see' and simple nouns like 'ball'.. :S
aiya.. i better follow the recommended progress.. dun anyhow confuse teng! :S

i think the two books i got from popular .. by Christabel Hong are quite good.. v structured.
they are ;high frequency words' and 'high frequency word families'.. structured and easy for us to try to show a few at home per day.. worksheet length is just right. 4 pages on average. not too long.. think worth recommending..

Was busy explore g iPad with this shopper. Haha!! Thanks to star.

Giolyn, ash, my friend gave me one pack of kimhock guan. Tis is my first time eati g this brand. Not bad .

Astro, yh,s fever ok now? Hope nothing serious and just caught some virus? Ur teng is really smart. !!

Astro, I tried YouTube, showed her a video of digestive system etc. She said she watched that , different tyoe at school. And this u tube from India, they pronounced intestines wrongly. I ask her to ignore.
Yes she can pronounce esophagus, better than jay.
She was attracted by the digestive system because the poo come out after that. Haha.

Huingee, for the ICR, thanks.
Then I dun wan to explore so soon. Wait till she is k1 k2 then see how. I hope she dun need to go.

Moogen, so it is anytime soon!!!! Have u packed ur bag??

QQ:fever is gone.. but i htink must panadol round the clock. lest it spikes :S
i think secondary infection. coz intially he has a cold.. then teng coughing away. must be teng spread to yh.. very hard to seperate the two of them coz teng when he is at home.. he follows didi round the house.. and keeps kissing him! he clamours for our attention too when we tend to yh.. basically a super glue :S

teng's smart hor? in the wrong way! :S
since young already manipulative.. remember his refusal to stand stage?.. from then i alerady conclude this boy is cunning..and has a tendency to develop dependencies very fast.. today's charade/pictionary incident just affirms my assessment of him! i think in future.. he is hard to handle.. coz if i am less aware. .. i wld have drawn all those words out.. and not have him decode. which defeats the purpose!.. very cunning boy.. everyone beware!

QQ:yeh! aiya.. u made me want to send teng back to PT K1!!.. :S
but no self help skills.. an di think ellie will go back if have to tend to teng and yh in the afternoon everyday. :S

Astro, did u get any book for Chinese teaching then?
I have something to recommend, but then I do not know if it is too sian3 because quite repetitive.

The books u have sounds good. Mayb I can go buy next time. Must b systematic hor.

Astro, I think I am nuts. I just try to find more reasons to assure myself that this PT is good. I am worried that it is not wroth the money, always. So I try my best to observe to prove that I am wrong. I have no answer still.

These few days I sent her to school, and I was surprised that quite a few kids came from far places. A mum even need to stay in the building while waiting because it doesn
T make sense to go back as they stay v far. I din know how far but this impressed me.
A few grandpas also have to spend their time I. The building too, so they are good friends now while waiting. Macdonald, library, etc.

QQ: yes.. must be systematic! pedagogy is like that.. structured.. and cannot any o how.

not only the books must be systematic.. it must also be progressive .. but managable.. in small bites. lest it be overwhelming for the kids.

i got a chinese book which taught teng the four words.. miser is using it..
belongs to the same concept as my english books.
最常用的华文字 by 唐老师.. they follow the same structure..

hey. last time we have supermarket shopping. now we shd have education/enrichment shopping.. heh... i think my pedagogy knowledge can come in useful here.. then with ur knowledge in early childhood education.. it shd work wonders! :p

QQ: ever since i started working in my institution. i have learned a lot of things. the most impactful one is the following statement ' in Science, we seek to disprove, not to prove'.. i never knew that! i always thought we prove and science is a collection of 'proven' facts.. actually it works the other way in science.. u are constantly seeking to disprove ur hypothese.. if experiment dun disprove. u can only say it is tentatively accepted till futher evidence comes to disprove ur claim.. so.. my pt..
PT good or not good.. tenatively accepted and not yet disproved.. and how good is good? given that it is non-verifiable? it is non-falsifiable.. and coz it is non-flasifiable, it cannot be prove or disproved. ha.. ok.. occupational hazard :p

Astro, power!!! Yes sounds good. This Chinese book also from local right? I prefer to have local books, or Malaysia ones especially chinese. English books of course sg one better.

My knowledge in early childhood education, not v useful for my kids because I lose patience. Theree is an emotional element in it, so a bit hard to execute.

QQ: that's why Lakshmi is so cocky.. hahahha :p
pple coming from far wor :p

i just told Miser maybe we should send teng back to PT K1. he kept quiet.. as i was 'analysing' the situation.. then i asked him 'got listen or not?'.. he said got.. 'thinking'..
then i told him.. 'think.. but dun just think based on cost alone hor!'.. he says . yalah. but first go find out cost first!
ok.. at least he is receptive to the idea..

Astro, I understand. I talked to anther parent last year, both of us also had the same set of questions and uncertainties in our minds. We really have no answer and dunno how to disprove this PT too.

QQ: ha.. then must be detached.. when i teach teng.. i become teacher.. hmm but teaching must have relationships with students also.. ok. let's just say i become his 'form' teacher :p

i tink so.. not much info.. just say printed in sg by educational publishing house pte ltd.

QQ: i also have. not cheap leh.. $550 per month!
but the progress of it is made evident and contrasted aft teng goes to LV..
but then again could be the long period of time spent in GUG.. also dunno lah..

but in spite of this. i tink must monitor lest go overboard.. i was just reading somethin goff the web. and found the following chunk of text.. i wonder how true is the claim:

'As long as you are sharing books and lo is enjoying that they will read when they are ready. as i like to remind all the mums at school who are caught up in some wierd reading stage competition the human brain is wired to survive until the age of 7 and is only concerned with being fed, warm and safe and therefore not wired to be able to read if u see what i mean. if you look at the majority of the rest of the world thier children play till they are 7 and have no formal education at all till this age. why oh why we start ours so early is a mystery to me'

really meh? till 7 only concerned about all those things? -- tenatively accepted :p

Astro, publish here means from sg la, should b ok.

Many kids play until 7 yo but the in sg it seems like not v possible.
My professor,s kids went overseas when daddy was on sabbatical leave, they enjoyed their schooling there at uk . They were in pri school then. Hwever after 1 year, he said he was worried that he cannot catch up when he is back in sg. So he was stressed!
That.s the stressful life for kids here.

QQ: will u be meeting Lakshmi? as in u picking tian up from her classes tomorrow? erm. can help me ask the P if teng goes back to PT.. need to have assessment again? :p
and the duration and cost?

can? :p

Astro: Now I'm beginning to understand why NY kindy parents send their children to another school for English lessons! :p
But phew! I think Anna knows simple words.. She recognises in, on, i, u, your, dog, cat, ball, apple, egg, gate, boy, apple, stop, teeth, and she knows her colors - red, green, yellow, blue, etc etc.. simple words.. But I think she recognises them more than she tries to read them using phonics skills.. Should there be a difference at this stage?
Think I better go buy those books u recommended. Cos I dunno when NY Kindy will start teaching them English. :p

QQ: If Tian is enjoying herself, then PT is good. Don't change her.

AA: i think most of them at this age is word recognition.. as in Anna must have had exposure to recognise those words.. which is good to prep them.. but yes, that ought to be a difference.. as in when u present the kid with a word which not commonly exposed to but can figure out using a phonic rule they have learned.. it means they can decode liao.. but of course, we know they dununderstand the word .. which is why. language immersions are the most powerful way to learn languages.. ..
Anna doesn't need to be rushed given that she is within progress.. teng, i am rushing him.. coz in k1 'all of a sudden'.. else i would aso let nature take its course liao :S

as in.. if Anna can 'read' the word 'cat'.. can she also read 'bat', 'sat', 'rat', 'mat' etc.. all the words which follows this phonetic rule..if she can, u can rest assured taht Anna has started to develop the ability to decode and to read..

Astro: I suddenly realise I don't know what is the "correct" progress for her given she's not taught/exposed to any engish in school at all.. Think I got to keep checking with the mums here.. And if NY Kindy doesn't start english lessons in K1, then I'll get worried liao. :p
Anna knows her maths wor.. She knows 2+2 =4, and 3+2=5. This is not from memory, she'll think a while, then give the answer. I didn't teach her blocks wor..

AA: soon lah. anna is only in n2! ha..
ya.. i think the kids this age.. have a stronger awareness of maths then english.. last time in PT. i always see teng do the manipulatives.. they have perception of depth activities.. all these same purposes.. awareness of spatial, maths concepts etc.. i think anna's kindergarten is doing a good job in that sense. .. just today. they send an email to me. about the junior scientist programmes.. the stuff they exposing the kid to. wonderful!..

i played the fingers addition to teng that time. he likes! ha.. ok. let me go and figure out how to teach multpication using fingers! :p

Astro: No.. Anna's school starts math only in K1 or K2. And english I'm not sure.. Hopefully in K1. I'm wondering if mutiplication shd be memorised instead.. That's how I learnt mine.. :p We teach them the principle of multiplication, then let them memorise the "times table"..

AA: hmm.. i am not sure. i dun exactly remember what leapfrog have :p...
but i do know these days i make sure teng watch those dvds more. leapfrog's word caper, word factory. is quite good..

i think it is not difficult to test.. let say anna recognise the word 'ball'.. u extend it and try the word 'tall'.. then 'fall'. then 'wall', 'mall'.. etc. till u go a level which .. maybe kids these age generally do not know.. like maybe.. erm.. i also dunno. what word follows the 'all' pattern but is sufficiently abstract ah? :p

oh. i found this.. interesting!
i will try this with teng to allow him to learn how to rhyme!

http://www.atozphonics.com/teaching-the-alphabet.html

and in the link.. got the sight words! finally found a list online! :p

AA: nope.. what i mean is the awareness of concepts.. like addition.. in day to day activities.. like i give u one apple.. then put another two apples in front. u . how many apples now.. that kind.. not the formal maths we are accustomed to.. i think in the playthat anna does.. she ought to have come across all these activities.. with pedagogical content but masked as 'play'.. that day i read the concepts of maths in real life. they dun advocate lah.. but we konw.. when we memorise.. there is speed..

i asked a fren (the same fren).. we were talking about kumon like activites.. when theere are a lot of drills and such.. we drew a conclusion.. u need to know ur child. if ur child is quick to latch on rules.. but cannot take drills.. then cannot take kumon.. but if ur child finds motivation in doing a sum fast and efficient and wants to ace it quicker and faster.. then this kind of memorisation probably works.. ultimately.. the end goal is to know multiplication.. the effectiveness of that mean to the end.. is highly debatable.. and dependable on the child..

QQ,
I think PT is good, you might not need to send Tian for other enrichment class like ICR.
I send Esther to cos at K2 she still cannot read and some of her peers can. If I want to send Dylan maybe mid of K1 bah or see whether he can read or not. If he is able to read then no need to send him to ICR.

Kelley,
Morning, long time didn't see you here. My son is fine. Your girls?

huignee: yeah.. i hv been so bz at work.. reach office at 6.30 am.. clear all shit at work.. than go home n look after kids.. no time to do even online shopping n stuff..
happy.gif
talking abt icr.. i bringing both my gals there for assessment this sunday.. haha

Kelley,
Heehee, i not gancheong to bring Dylan to enrichment class yet. He just started N2, see how and when K1 then i see does he need to attend or not.

Mummies,
I'm clearing Dylan's maxi cosi car seat used for 3 years. If any fren looking for 2nd hand car seat let me know.
Thanks.

HN: Thanks for that link. I ll use that as a guide to teach Anna. No choice for me since she doesn t learn English in school.
sad.gif

I m thankful I stay at home, and so I feel in control I can do something myself to help the situation. Most working mums will turn to enrichment classes out of "no choice" too. Sigh!! The things we do for our children..

HUINGEE: hahah.. i not kancheong about kait.. she taking her own sweet time on learning.. is ashlyn.. jst tot it mite be fun since she not in lorna whinston anymore. wanted ash to join ballet but daddy wants her to learn piano.. boring

Astro: I think she s exposed to this at home.. NY emphasizes Chinese so much in the first 2 years I think they neglect Eng and Math. Well good and bad. Guess we need to complement whatever they do/don t do in school with home play/activities. Can t be lazy. But I think I m the 3 min type. Haha. However I won t let that prevent me from getting started. Every small thing done is still a thing.

Back