(2006/09) SEPTEMBER 2006 MTB

Jasmine,
I can totally relate to what you are saying. We only occasionally put our daughter at MILs place. And this weekend when we were back for dinner, MIL told us that she tried let out ger lick oranges the last time BB was with her, but BB didn't like it. I was so shocked! Will have to find an opportunity to tell her nicely to ask my 'permission' first before introducing food to her. My God! Doesn't she know that orange is too acidic for BB's tender stomach.

I intend to try to total EBM for 6 months if my SS is able to keep up with her demands.

i was showing my ger our family album this afternoon and found an old picture of myself. Now I know she is really MINE :)
632568.jpg

Jasmine,....oh gosh..ur FIL wants to feed ur ger with carrot cake???!!! Ur hb arnd bo??? If I were u ... I'll get him to tok to them instead. How can bb take oily stuff ........ tok about honey....so young bb can take honey meh? not afriad will have any side effect later on? Like .. will cough...??? Cuz my colleague jus gave birth last month told me her PIL & parents feed her ger with honey everyday!!! *Faint* cuz she on FM and doesnt poo every day...

As for rocking....my mom also intro that to my ger... I just have to close one eye....
as for bonding.....every morning when I bring my ger to my mom place....once she is there with my mom she will smile, talk and play with her....sobsob...when I tried make her tok to me . .. or smile at me ... it takes me ages...
sad.gif
but what to do? We are not SAHM ... but if i become a SAHM i will go crazy hehe...1 baby & 2 dogs makes me crazy!

edksd,
i transport my milk in a milk bottle closed with cap and washer and put inside fridge-to-go. i still express milk on friday b'cos that will be the supply for monday. whenever i'm around, i latch baby 100%.

Jasmine,
we will always have differences in ways to raise a child with everyone around us but remember that we all have one aim - we try to give the best b'cos we love the child. your mil is just doing what she thinks is best for your child. don't worry too much. a little bit of food won't harm the baby. especially exclusively breastfed babies - they have a greater resistance against bacteria and germ.

angeline,
striking resemblance! how i wish i could do the same to put my pic together with my girl but all my baby photos are badly taken in bad angles. so sian.

rainnie,
your output is unbelievable!! 300ml per pump. i don't think that's common. you better not scare the other girls here with your exceptional output ok? LOL.

ilovebabies, if w/o tt white plastic thing, will the milk leak out fr the teat if i didnt happen to hold it upright?

elaine,
have u tried feeding ZH both breasts? maybe he's drinking so often coz he doesn't have enough in his belly to sustain him for longer than 2 hrs? maybe u cld try delaying a feed for an hour, so when he drinks next, he'll be hungry and will drink more. hopefully if he drinks more, it'll keep him full for longer?

orange,
thanks!! pass me urs too. i'll send u 2 the pics
happy.gif
so sorry it took so long!

michelle,
my target is 6mths too
happy.gif
in the beginning it was 1 mth, then 3 mths, now 6mths! of coz, i'll try to BF for 1 yr, but i'm going to take baby steps eh?
happy.gif

jasmine,
CARROT CAKE? wah, that is really too much! i think u gotta put ur foot down. what abt ur hb? get him to tell his parents instead of u. so far, i don't tell my MIL anything. i tell my hb and he will tell her. i doubt she will listen to me! (or understand me coz my hua yi is so rotten! hahaha)

angeline,
trinity has ur nose! hee hee... so cute... inspires me to dig out my bb photos too!

edksd,
what bottles are u using? coz if u're using the pigeon perialstatic bottle and teat, u don't need the white plastic thing. when the cap is on, the teat touches the top of it so milk will never leak out. i'm using pigeon and that's what the pigeon lady (haha!) told me. so far so good, that's how i transport my 3 bottles when DN is with my MIL.

edksd

hmm it wont leak lah. anyway I put 4 milk bottles in the fridge to go cooler bag, not much space for the bottles to topple.

rainnie

ya,I always pump out after my ger latch on cos that's what I do on working days. Want to maintain the same schedule of pumping even on weekends, in case my ss drop ! ehhhh my ss not as fantastic as yours so no choice, gotta be a hardworking mummy ;)

Angeline

so envy ! i dont have a bb photo leh ... I only have a photo when I was 3 yrs old .. so I gotta wait for another 2+ yrs for my ger then I can do the comparisons ehhhee ... anyway my ger is a splitting image of my dear hubby ;)

jasmine

kids under 1 yr old are not supposed to take honey !! they could be allergic to it and it can be fatal. Let ur in laws know ... said the PD told u ! i always use the PD as an excuse if need to ehhehe

Harlow Mummies. . . .it has been soooooooooo long that I have not log on!

How are all mummies doing??? I trust you are enjoying every moment of motherhood right?? Me TOO.

I finally found a job and was busy for a while and I just got back from San Francisco, Las Vegas and LA Disneyland . . . . . the weather there was soooooo cold especially in Las Vegas!

Almost forget - WISHING ALL MUMMIES a very HAPPY NEW 2007.

My little my baby is now in her 4th month and she has turn and her gum is itching as she is teething and she is drinking 180ml every 6 / 7 hours. Per my understanding when baby are teething they tends to drink less milk and the timing to the next feed is longer as well that is why I feed her 180ml.

And yes she now sleeps thru out the night . . . hurray!!! and finally . . . her last feed would be at 11 to 12 and the next feed is at 5 6 am.

Jasmine
i nvr think so much abt nite feeds coz i cant figure out how to make him last longer so he wakes up lesser times leh. so juz wait 4 him to fall into a cycle lah.

its tough, and many times i practically like zombie... dun rem how many times i wake up to feed and nurse 4 how long.
crazy.gif
but i tell myself all these will end as he grows older. since i made the decision to tbf, i shall not complain and persist to the end. but hor, seeing the other babies whom can only wake up once or even sleep thru the nite, i cant help but wonder when will b my turn...
sad.gif

i noe FM is v convenient 2 the caretakers, so i die die refused to buy any yet. so far my mum din complain its troublesome to heat up EBM. ur MIL is really a bit overboard, trying to interfere in the way u prefer to bring up ur girl. ilovebabies' idea is gd... use PD as an excuse.
lol.gif
u r rite... conflicting emotions... happy tt ur girl is under the care of ur MIL and not wif nanny or maid but maddening coz she interferes in the way u wanna bring up ur girl.

i agreed tt latching on is the only way to really bond, esp tt we r wkg mummies. all i wanna do aft a day's work is ti quickly latch my boy. and seeing how he enjoys latching, i feel so therapeutic! haha
lol.gif
so all the hard work is not 4 nothing.

Mother-in LAW problems tell me about . . . I too have a hand full over here as well. I too feel that I am the mother I have the right to how I want to teach, train and feed as well.

I too have problem with my MIL as well . . .ya it is lucky that she is willing to look after but my mother is too. . . I am so pissed and upset that I throw my frustration on my hubby and even told him that I will take baby back to my mummy place and stay there!

MIL never listens to DIL I realize !!!!!

Hi sha,
Nice to see u back!

I so admire yr gal determination to BF yr baby.. I think max i can do is 6 months... My baby refuse to lach on and pumping really take up a lot of my time..
sad.gif

Rainnie,
Yr supply make me jealous!!!!! My whole day supply is only 500ml or less !!

Jasmine,
i think yr MIl is really quit bad.. should try out ilovebabies method le..

ilovebabies, the fridge to go i bought can only put 3 nuk bottles vertical n 1 nuk bottle horizontal. tts y i worry leaking for the horizontal one.

today is the day im bringing kai to my mom's place as im starting wrk 2mr.

mge to accumulate 4 x 100ml over the past 2 days on top of the usual latching.

pumping now. for 2mr's feed. hope to be able to meet his demand.

im now only giving him 100ml per feed per 2hrs. i'll slowly increase to see how much he can take in actually.

my boy is 4 mths. suddenly he is drinking lesser milk.. currently is 180ml 4hrs. now he cant finish and fell asleep while drinking EBM..

hubby just flew to shanghai for wrk just now 1am+ for 4 days.

later in the morning bringing kai to my mom's place to let her n him get used to it.

im goin to miss my hubby n kai!

sianz.. goin back to wrk 2mr....

edksd

kai look so happy !! he seems to have lesser hair now ?

my rachel is losing hair at the back. dont know consider lucky or not that her hair at the front is intact ? hahah

oh so ur FTG is smaller ah ? I think it wont leak. Sometimes when I bring one bottle of EBM out and it is still ok. I believe it has topple over during travelling. You can try it out at home though.

Dont worry abt Kai .. he will do well under ur mum's care. Take it as time off for yourself and prepare urself mentally for work tmr. yeah yeah it's tough cos I been through that last Nov. You will definitely miss Kai !!

Wah ur kai drinks a lot as compare to my Rachel. SHe drinks 110ML every 2.5 to 3 hrs.

Sha

wah finally ah ! so u not working at Suntec already ?

U mean SHerilyn can tahan for so long per feed ?? hmmm i din know babies can tahan so long during the day time. Rachel has also slept thru the nite once I started work ... hehe she knows mummy is tired hehehe ...

Olsen, ur bb drinking 180ml every 4 hrs is still more than my bb wor... my bb drinks avg 120ml over 3 or 3.5hrs. She is 3mths 3 weeks. In fact, I wonder what shld be the avg quantity per feed for bb at this stage leh... my bb has been on 120ml average since she was 1 mth ago..

Edksd,
Sorry to hear that both your HB and BB are not with you today. Try to be strong OK. I know i missed my gal like crazy on my first day back at work. Practically called home every hour. Just log on to this forum for support. Quite a few of us have gone through the separation axiety phase already.

ilovebabies,
your Rachel so pretty. You sure she look more like your HB. Then your HB must be very pretty too. :)

Frozen EBM -

Help !!!! I have accumulated more than 10 litres of FBM in my freezer. There is no more space for our food and I think cos the freezer is too packed, its also affecting the defrosting function. My current daily fresh EBM is still able to meet her demand and I don't know to continue to give her fresh ones or defrost some of the old ones. What shall I do??

1)throw away those more than 8 weeks ago? (But I feel so sayang, lots of the confinement norishment in it and spent so much time to pump)

2) start giving the FBM and freeze up the fresh EBM. (But isn't fresh ones more beneficial than frozen ones?)

3) any other better options, pls advice. (no place to donate to in HK)

Sha,
welcome back
happy.gif
it's been a long time! 180ml can last her so long? i'm BFg DN every 3 hrs still.

angeline,
i went thru that too... but i don't have 10L la! i think i only got 3L store! but i decided that unfrozen EBM is still better than FBM so i still give fresh BM if there's enough. i plan to throw away the FBM that's too old or give some to my dog! sorry for grossing u out!

angeline

yes yes.. everyone says rachel is a replica of her daddy. she only inherit the chubby cheeks from me
happy.gif

but i think she is prettier than my hubby haha !

i think I have the same dilemma as you rgd FBM but I dont have that much though ! wow .. u r a COW ! hah joking hor ?

i agree with Joon that we shld still give fresh EBM daily. I too have lotsa milk from Sept -Oct period when I really ate well. But I guess most of the antibodies are gone so no pt giving to my ger. I would throw them away.

angeline
i just read this from august mum thread.

"happened to call the breastfeeding advice line 63393558 and told them i had all this milk i wanted to throw away and they so happen to just have received a call from another mommy who desperately needed bmilk. u can call the same hotline (leave a voicemail and someone will promptly ring u back) and perhaps they can hook u up with someone too. note, u will have to take a blood test to ensure u don have HIV or hepatitis.."

Happy New Year to All Mummies !!!

Agelene,
Your supply really amazing !!! my advice is to give your precious fresh milk if you still have enough supply.

Now my little Ethan have this problem, he refuse to drink EBM when feed him using bottle, maybe he is too used to the breast milk taste and thinking this should come direct from mummy's breast

my mom commenting it is very hard for her to feed him if me not ard and advise me to stop latch him on...
Could there be any other reason cos last time he was ok drink breast milk using bottle , only last week this problem arise, how har ? any advice ??

Ethan is 3 mths one week now, is this the period when they start teething? he seems not drinking well these few days, sometimes he cry while feeding time....

Yasmine

My PD says it is not likely to teeth now, they will start teething when they are 7 - 8 months old.

think most of the babies are very fussy during drinking. DG says this is because they are aware of the surroundings hence I guess the attention span is short. My ger was like for the past 2 weeks. Somehow she is better this week, drink her milk within 20mins. So i guess this could be another passing phase, so dont worry abt it.

As for ur mum, you can try to ask her to endure for a while more, I'm sure Ethan will be better when he is older.

ilovebabies,
I do feel very much like a cow everytime I have to plug on the pump to my breast. My naughty Trinity still refuses to latch on, so I am pumping pumping pumping at least 5 times a day. Used to pump every 3 hrs during maternity leave.

Only reason why I have leftover is b'cos she used to drink so little. Only consumed about 700 - 800 ml a day while I try to pump out 1 litre. So I end up with about 1 litre to freeze every week. But now that she is drinking more, I don't freeze so much already.

Question for the experienced mummies :
Do BBs drink larger volume with longer interval. IE, their daily intake remains very much the same, or do they need more milk as they grow older?

Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if I should continue to push myself to pump 1 litre a day, or should I slowly cut down?

angeline i cant answer ur qn coz me 'half bucket of water' on these issues. but i'd like to ask how do u push urself to pump 1L?

today i just tried it out

1am - 55ml

7am - 35ml (coz kai woke up right after i started pumping not long)

9am - latch on at home

10am - latch on at my mom's place

2pm - now pumping, coming to 1hr liao, but only 95ml so far.... i wish im a cow :p

my mom said after u left at 10am+, she fed kai 100ml at 11am+, n he slept at 12nn+

until now almost 3pm, he only woke up briefly few times, no sign of hunger coz my mom was warming up the milk n he fell asleep already.

im worried his feeding will be jeopardised by this new arrangement - staying at grandma's hse, mommy not ard for suckling.

hope he'll get used to it soon.

Angeline

My ger drinks v little also. She drinks 5 feeds of 110ML EBM and 1 feed latch on. but my ss isnt that fantastic too .. just slightly more than that.

I think if u still can maintain the number of pump per day, you shld continue. It's always good to have FBM on standby. You really dont know when you need it. Throw away the old ones if ur freezer is running out of space. At least you have fresher FBM. I know sometimes we tend to get lazy and egoistic and tend to skip a pump or two. But i tell myself to persevere cos I really want to BF my gal till she turns 1 yr old.

btw what's "IE" ?

mom just called to say kai woke up n she just fed him 100ml.

she says when he's done n she pulls the bottle away from his mouth, he cries, does it means he hasnt got enough?

do all ur bb go back to slumberland right after drinking milk? kai doesnt. does it means he hasnt got enough?

edksd

i believe Kai's behaviour is expected. Babies also need to get used to the new environment. Dont worry, he will slip into his schedule very soon !!

now I headache. My mum is taking care of my ger on weekdays. On weekends I bring my ger to MIL hse. MIL also miss her mah ... so i tot if I go out on weekends, I can leave her with MIL. But now whenever MIL carry her, she wail so loudly ! now I worried I cant go out w/o her and I want to give my mum a rest on weekend, dont want to trouble her leh ... cham ... my ger recognise faces already.

edksd

babies will know when to stop if they are full. My rachel does that. she will hold on to the bottle if she is hungry. once she is done, she will push it out and I wont give it to her. Cos if I do, she will cry, means she has enough milk oredi. you shld ask ur mum to give Kai 110ML and see if he can finish.

edksd,
Ethan is drinking 150ml formula milk per day, his feed schedule very " ruan", normally i latch him on, but will give him at least 1 FM and EBM per day, cos mom said afraid he will not want FM or EBM if me not ard...

therefore, me actually not too sure how much he drink per day
sad.gif

edksd,
i think if Kai cries when his meal is finished, can try to give him a little more. Sometimes when my gal sleep through her meal time during the day, she tend to need more for the next meal (catch up on what she missed I think).

I push myself to pump out at least 40ml/hr. That is, if 4 hr interval, then try to pump 160ml, if 5 hr then 200ml. I do so by trying to drink more liquid if I fall short and also use the tip taught earlier (drinking warm drink while pumping). I never had so much MILO my whole life. Usually I pump for 30 mins, but if at the end of 30 mins still haven't reach the target then I go on for 15 mins more. If you continue to pump diligently SS should increase. I remember when I first started I only had about 30ml every 3 hrs.

ilovebabies,
my ger the opposite of Rachel. When we have to put her at MIL's place, she will 'bochup' her and 'bochup' me when I go fetch her at the end of the day.

ilovebabies, maybe i shld prepare 4 x 110ml feeds for tomorrow and try it out.

today is just agar agar.

so worried supply cant meet demand. i only pumped 115ml just now. later will pump again at 4pm.

once i start wrk tomorrow, not sure if i can still pump as and when and so long. sigh...

angeline, same here, never had so much MILO and oats in my whole life. i finished a can of oats tt day within 2 wks i think.

last time i dun like to drink water, my mother has to keep reminding me to drink water. now i drink like a cow. even my mother asked me why i drink so much -_-

Ops....I dont mean to hurt any one ya....my ms not very gd also .. leh ... if u do a calculation...mine is base on every 8-10hrs and i get that amount
happy.gif

angeline, i'm not too sure how many litres of FBM i have .. but i've more than 50 packet of FBM 8X I never use them at all....I just put it in case of any emergency....those that have expired u can defrost them ... use them to bath ur self (whitening effect)... thats what I did to those BM my ger have leftover when I bottle feed her
happy.gif
cuz I got ezcema .. and during pregnancy it became worst and there's scar
sad.gif
so now I hope with the expired & xtra FBM/EBM i have they can help me loh
happy.gif

rainnie,
doesn't defrosted FBM have a soapy/metallic smell? how to bath ourselves with it? LOL!

cereal,
there are a lot of guidelines around as to how much milk bb at different ages should drink, but it is not really a good guideline as appetite is very dependent on metaboilism and weight of bb since a 4mth old bb may weigh 6 or 8kg, so appetite varies. Just listen to your bb
and watch her cues. Since she has been sleeping thru the night, it means she has enough to eat.

Angeline,
some bb do drink larger volume with longer interval with their daily intake remaining the same when they get older as tummy grows, e.g. eating more and lasting 4-5 hrs per feed instead of the previous 2-3 hrly. but some bb just won't eat that much more to last them 4-5hrly.

And yes they do need more milk as they grow older as they will still have growth spurts. But most bb have reduced appetite at 4-6 mths compared to 2nd/3rd mth (see my previous post) and then actual quantity of milk drank daily increased again at 6-9 mths simply 'cos they now weigh more and are more mobile (crawlers need more calories!).

i used to express 1.1 to 1.2litre a day with 4 pumpings and like you i froze my excess till freezer is full. Then I gave excess to my older boy but don't want to give too much either. So recently, i decided to cut 1 session, express less so as to cut my ss and SAVE TIME. I figured why waste time expressing and then throw out excess. I find it a waste to throw out FBM too, so I still haven't. Occasionally I give a pack of FBM to get Nicholas used to the taste in case for whatever reason i have to give him FBM in future and he rejects. now that our ss is established, you can easily cut a session, reduce ss and later at growth spurts, express longer again to increase ss. hope this helps your dilemna.
happy.gif

edksd
you can ask ur mum to burp baby first. if after burping, he still wants, tat means his still hungry. if not, it means the milk has subside in his tummy and its enuff (full liao)
happy.gif

Sha, wahaha... you brought bb to Disneyland too?

ilovebabies, wahahah... i just scroll back and read more posts.. then you will think i am one of those "lazy and egoistic" ones!! HAAHAHAHAHA

rachel and trinity are so adorable! now i find myself wishing for a gal so i can doll her up.

ilovebabies, does rachel have any favourite activity? can get MIL to do that with her.

DG, i not too sure how FBM smell leh .. cuz I have yet to defrost FBM
happy.gif
I onli use EBM ... abit fishy .. but hehe ok lah .. after wash with it liaoz... use soap loh
happy.gif

DG

oops I dont mean that lah .. I was one of the lazy and egoist mum before ! haha ... got scared got ss went down due to lesser pumps so I am more hardworking now
happy.gif

craving for a ger ah ? ahah some friends saw Rachel and was v tempted to have a gal too....it's really fun dressing them up !

hmm Rachel loves to play and talk to ppl. If I carry her, she can strike a conversation with MIL and do her "goo goo ga ga". Once I pass her to my MIL... her expression changed and wails v loudly. haiz ... how ? i hope it's just another passing phase.

Hi Ming Liew,
How are you and how is your little baby???

I salute to those that is able to breastfeed them all the way to 1 years!!! I trust that after 6 months most mummy who wish to continue will pump out as baby would have grow out some teeth by them . . . .dont want them to be biting your nipples right????. .. hehehehehe

Ilovebabies,
You did not cut Rachels hair right.

I trim Sherilyns hair right after she turn 3 months and I did the trimming for her. . .hehehehe . . . coz I notice that her hair started to drop during that time as well.

Personally I though it would be better to trim her hair shorter so that it would not be so ugly when her hair start to fall (in patches here and there) and there are some cradle cap so I though it would be a good to keep her hair shorter and it would easy for me to monitor the cradle cap when I rub some oil on it as well. I do not like the idea of shaving her bald so I just trim it short???

I am still working at Suntec.

Yes Sherilyn is now drinking 180ml every 6 to 7 hours which is not a lot as she is only having 4 feed per day only (in total per day she is only drinking 520ml). She is now going thru the teething stage therefore the numbers of feed has decrease so what I did to compensate the lost in feeding time is to increase the amount of milk intake.

I understand that teething usually start from the 6 months onwards but there are some that may teeth from the 3rd month onwards as well. I notice that Sherilyn drool and fretting quite a fair bit too. Plus she start chewing on anything toys she mange to get a hold of as well.

Joon,

DN is born on the same day as Sherilyn 02/09 right?? Has DN toss and turn coz Sherilyn is turning (tummy facing down) the very minute we put her down on the mattress to play so I am now watching her like a hawk!!! It is even more tiring . . .hahahahaha. . .

The reason why Sherilyn is drinking that much coz she is going the teething stage so the number of feed has gone down that is why I increase the amount of milk intake for every feed in order to ensure that she is getting enough for the day.

Before that she is drinking 140 to 160 ml every 4 to 5 hours. I only start her on 180ml this week as I notice she is fussing a lot during feeding time, biting her figures and she start to drool quite a bit that is when I realize that she is teething.

Domesticgoddess,
No lah did not bring my bb to Disneyland. Hubby and I was traveling quite a lot within US from one state to another thou it is within California and the weather there during December is rather cold plus the long haul flight we feel go do the exploring ourselves first and will bring there next time when she is older. . hehehehehe

Mummies, sorry for such a lengthy message.

Back