Re: routine
In my son's first month, he didnt have a routine. And he was having great difficulty in sleeping at night. Once I worked at establishing a routine for him, he could sleep much better.
Morning: Wakes up / feed him / rest for half hour / shower / then morning nap
Afternoon: Wake up for food / play for a while / short nap
Evening: I do not let him sleep beyond 4 pm as it might interferes with his bedtime. In the evening, I would bring him for a short walk to enjoy the breeze, if there is any. Then I would clean him and put on his pyjamas.
Gradually at about 6 pm everyday, he would be tired. I would give him milk then he will be sleeping liao.
Remember, not to put the baby down when he's too tired. I try not to excite him too much in the night. The house is quiet and we talk in low tones. I try to get him to sleep before 7 pm.
Now, he's sleeping for six hours straight. Sometimes, he sleeps for 8 hours. To me, it's good enough because he's only about 3 months old.
I hope this helps