hi sunshine,
I have a maid but no experience in choosing but my mum helped me.
I chose a Filipino as can communicate, i dun 1 2 bcoz of savin d extra 20 or 40 bucks per month n end up strugglin tryin to explain or talk to a Indonesian maid.
1 more thing, chosing a experience one doesn't mean they are gd, they might be gd as in they roughly noe what Singaporeans expect but sometimes they might be up to no gd.
Currently, my maid that I'm having is her 1st time to Singapore, so far she's not bad but I wouldn't say she's perfect. But lucky she told me herself she dun want any off day, so i pay her extra $20 per month. After all she is from a foreign country, so their habits are different, you have to make clear to them what can be done, what cannot. Basically, just lay your cards well. Write things down in black and white so later any miscommunication can be avoided.
Anyway, it takes both parties to play a part, you treat them nice, they oso know hw to b appreciative. SO sometimes gotta give n take oso.