(2006/06) June 2006 MTB

Btw, anyone here ever considered home schooling?

I met a fren last nite and found out she's doing for her P2 and P5 kids. It's a totally new concept to me (I hear it's rampant in the West).
Something interesting she told me was MOE has different PSLE bars for school and homeschool kids: 150 and 195 passing marks respectively.

I spoke with my hub this morning and he's supportive of the concept though he can't envisage himself to be one actually teaching the kids (and will happily outsource to me if we ever go that way). But knowing myself, I don't think I have the aptitude to teach my own kids all the way that far in education. I much prefer to train adults.
 


aishite, me me... i am interested in home schooling, esp we can impart biblical teachings to our kids, and who better to play the role of a teacher than the mother. however, it's impossible for me now as i am working, maybe when i am in the US, and if i can, i might explore this option.
 
Toto
You "wei da"!! Share with you this quote on how some mummies counter people's comments about the vulnerabilities of homeschooled kids-

Question:
But aren't you worried about socialisation?

Answer:
Absolutely! That's one of the reasons I keep the kid at home.
 
toto, ashite,

I feel homeschooled kids can fare much better. I really really wish I can homeschool my children. There is so much I wanna teach them. And I always know that if I have the time, I can impart all my knowledge to them. But... sigh, full time working mummy here... I really feel too tired after work liao plus my job vv high stress. Sigh maybe I shd get a maid then I can move closer to having free time.
 
Poohy
Wow! You dunt have a helper, and have 2 kids and 1 more on the way? Peifu peifu, me one kid only and oledi can't envisage life without my helper around.
 
poohy, agree with you - there are many things we can impart to our kids, and homeschooling is a very good option as we can teach them good values. however, i feel it is more economical if one has 3 kids or more. ke ke.. maybe after no. 3 - you can consider homeschooling?

re helper - think you should really consider getting a helper - with 3 kids... you really need to have spare time on your hand, esp time for yourself. even with a helper, i find it hard to let go of J... but recently, i am trying to relax a bit more... ke ke... and spend more time doing things i enjoy....
 
aishite, toto,
I considered home schooling before
happy.gif



poohy,
I am getting very lazy lately :p kekeke... Gotta learn from you and buck up all the home teaching.
Do you know how to encourage art and craft? A dislikes art and craft. He only plays with the color pencils, crayons, markers. He refused to draw
sad.gif
Headache...

What toto said is right... With only A, I still can cope. Now, with 3... I am feeling very stressed and exhausted already. I felt the exhaustion over the past 3 months, in fact. I feel so deprived of my own time. No time to even have a meal or go toilet or shower. Think I will need to schedule one day a month to be my alone day to keep my sanity, and do better in home teaching.
 
toto,
How does your helper help with Jake?
I am thinking whether to let my helper to shower, change diapers, and feed my ABC. I will have lots of time then. But it's good bonding time when showering, changing diapers and feeding them...
 
<font face="tahoma"> re: homeschooling
yeah agree that more pple are doing homeschooling now. last time i only know pple who go on missionary tasks do that but now no longer.

it's really not easy, we gotta be very discipline and kids might tend to be more relax since mummy is the one teaching.

lyn,
i might considere Anderson for Wes. But hubby prefers his old sch
sad.gif


have you confirm your helper? i seriously consider getting 1 to help my mum... too tough for her since she still cooks for everyone. </font>
 
Hi hi...

All of u sound so got "MO SHUI"... I cham.. i am a lazy mum.... i will never ever tot of home schooling at all...... haha... if i did that.. i guess chelsia will grow up to be a gong gong kids... haha...

Toad,
Tao Nan, Shannon sure can one... my that nclave fren move there all because of Tao Nan too...

Poohy,
Please seriously go plan things out n get a helper... really... with 3 kids... its not a joke... for the time being, am without a helper now.. and i really find myself a robot... hsework till 12-1am daily.. wake up 630am.. get everything done.. wake chelsia at 715am.. feed her , change her diapers.. and drop her off at mums plc.. and then to work... and pick her up frm mums plc again after work...
 
Aishite, Cheris,
wld u be interested in coming my place for WKDAY AFTERNN PG?

Irv's really attentive during current Wed morning PG, and I am testing to see if I can set up another PG session for him. My place can't accomodate that many... 3 or 4 tods is just nice.

I'm thinking ANOTHER PG, maybe Tue 2-4pm, or Thur 2-4pm? Let me know if u're interested.
happy.gif
 
wow celeste - you sounded really flat out. FTWM is really tough, plus you need to pick up and drop off C.

lyn, only recently, i have outsourced the AM showering to my helper, also becos some days i have to work. also, she does feeding for lunch, and i do dinner. evening showers, hb and i will shower J. milk feeds and nite feeds, hb and i take turns.. that's the most impt bonding time in J's view.
 
PP
Don't mind an afternoon playgroup, Tues or Thurs is fine. Schedules may change in Q3, cos I may be heading back to PT work, but for now, should be ok.

Can we do 3-5 instead, cos Tues I have regular luncheon at HarbourFront, and have to rush thereafter.
 
mspiggy,
think you are too heaty after restless days of looking after Wes. Need to take extra care of urself since you are now looking for 1 tod &amp; 1 baby. hee.. one in the tummy.
 
<font face="tahoma"> Celese,
choy choy choy!!!! hahahahaa.... if dont need much sufferings, i dont mind taking 2 weeks MC at home :p</font>
 
Pawprint,
Can PM me the TCM @ whampoa? Do they attend to Adults... my cough was like for 3mths liao since Jan.. so think its time i find a cure.. TIA..
 
Mspiggy,
2 weeks MC without sufferings... wait long long lah... u can look forward for your 12week ML lah.. hohoh
 
<font face="tahoma"> aishite,
thanks... for both get well wishes and also wiping at Cel :p

Lyn,
oh this is something new to me.. i shd try too. started coughing too</font>
 
Toad..
Come lah.. am waiting for u to come swipe me... hohohoh...

Lyn,
Oranges with soy sauce? OMG cant imagine the taste.. tot oranges will make my cough worst?? and how much soy sauce to dip? i'll try over the weekends....
 
<font face="tahoma"> celeste,
taste shd be nice. i tried this fruits salad at The Rice Table, they have apples and oranges with soy sauce.. very nice leh!
happy.gif
</font>
 
Hi! I already have an existing Wed morning Playgroup running at my home for my boy, he loves it!
Now I need another 3 tods-and-mums to open ANOTHER playgroup for him!
happy.gif


Anyone interested pls email mel_tan_st at yahoo dot com
THURSDAY 3-5PM, PASIR RIS home, Tots-and-MUMS Playgroup for 2006 Tods.
Free, bring your own snackbox, and each mum contributes a 15min segment
happy.gif
.

Suggested Outline:

3PM. Freeplay! I'd set out a tray of toys, and change them weekly. You don't have to bring toys, less bulk to carry!
happy.gif


315PM. Keep away and Intro! (by all)
“Toys away, toys away, time to keep your toys away”.
“Welcome today, friends of mine, welcome today little sunshine/ starshine. Bounce/ Skip/ Jump/ Sway, to (child’s name).”
“Biddely Diddely Bumblebee, Won’t you say your name to me? What’s your name? (Child’s name). *blow bumblebee*”
“(Child’s name), how are you today? *handshake* Good?”
*Rub hands for energy ball*

330PM. Alphabet! (by me, I have the materials ready)
Alphabet Song/ Finger-trace/ Zoophonics/ Related Poems/ Magic Box/ English Storybook

345PM. Music &amp; Movement! (by any other mum please!
happy.gif
)

4PM. Snacktime! (by all)
Reinforce “yes, more, please, water, bowl, spoon, cup”.

415PM. Mandarin! (by any other mum, pls!)
Eg. Flashcards, Songs, Stories, or any other activities!

430PM. Misc! (by me)
Numerals, Dots/ Finger-trace/ Topics like Colours, Shapes, or Days of Week/ Sightwords/ Simple Memory Sequence/ Speedreading materials

445PM. Craft/ Hands-on! (by any other mum, pls!)
Eg. finger painting, sticker activities etc!
happy.gif
 
Cel
Soya sauce, normal pp, single dip will do, you ah, cos your taste buds is "so dense", you prob need to dip 10x times over *wink*
 
Pawprint!

you're so on!!! Wow, I thk I shd consider shifting to be your neighbour then can bring my gal to your playgrp EVERYDAY!!
happy.gif


Anyway, I thk Irvin really enjoys the "class", and can see that he's more and more attentive and participative. Well done mummy!

Isabel enjoys it too, and she'll say "go school" and wants to carry her school bag. So cute! Thanks for organising.

I have some chinese flashcard, should I bring along next week?
 
SS1, yes pls!
happy.gif
Irv enjoys Isabel's company too, heehee ;) !

If this kicks off, I can let my wallet rest from Irv's paid enrichmt class for awhile... somehow I feel the pinch fr his JG class leh. Strange, when Ahgirl's the one draining our money. She has Kindy, Kindy Chinese Enrichmt (pay extra $!), Kindy Computer Enrichmt (pay extra $!), Ballet, Swim, Music, Rightbrain-Playgroup thing... and next mth, add on Gymnastics. Argh!!! I can't drop some classes cos she's made friends and will be upset.
 
PP
Wow, so many classes for Ahgirl. If I were you and sending her to so many, everyday I eat 1 meal can oledi (and hopefully shed some much-detested pounds)
 
Haha! Talk about saving or investing for their university education! I told the financial planner that it doesn't make sense for me to save every penny for future education and deny the kids of activities now. Hiya, tough to be parents these days!
 
pp,
Wow! I wish I stay beside you leh... Pasir Ris a bit far
sad.gif

Ahgirl attending so many classes ah... Ahboy only JG ? I trying to limit A's classes. So that I can let B n C go for some classes too... Fairer... But your playgroup is an excellent idea
happy.gif
 
check with you all hor.. besides birthday direct... where can we get birthday party supplies huh?

Now need to prepare for small celebration for chelsia in her schlhse during her bday... wanna but Hello kitty plates for the cake... kitty napkins n kitty loot bag...

And what to put inside the bag huh?
 
Cel
I luv your concept of Hello Kitty footprint everywhere!
For the loot bag, the only fun thing I can think of is soap bubbles (sweets are passe, but are always a good backup). Or do it like some mummies, put a solid gift like California Baby Bath Bel and gao dim sai.
 
celeste - allaboardtoys also sell birthday party supplies.
happy.gif


PP, i wish i can find a neighbour like you... ke ke.. dun mind participating in your PG... too bad J is already at PG now.

lyn, with 3 kids, need to work out a system where all 3 gets equally good exposure to classes... ke ke... imagine 3 at SM... high costs hor... maybe you can home school if you really shift to JB... save money also.

btw - very scarry - i recently decided to rent out my place, and within few days, got a tenant already. later signing agreement... now still dunno where to move to... ke ke...
 
Toto
Shift to East, best in Singapore and JB and maybe Batam (unashamed to declare the goodness of East :))

And when you bring J to nearby East Coast Park, there are many dog owners who will always volunteer to let J ride on their dogs (S was offered doggy rides when I bring her there)
 
aishite - ha ha... i dun really have a choice of location, as i want to shift near J's school.
happy.gif
dun want to disrupt his fav school bus trip to school...
 
toto,
I am thinking of sending all 3 to SM
happy.gif
That's why need to cut cost somewhere ma... kekeke... If shift to JB, I will send A to best kindy there. Will not even cost S$1k/mth. I wanna send him to 3 hours kind. Need to manage my time properly so that I can continue the flashcards sessions, and playing with toys and still got reading. So much to do.

Wah... so fast got tenant already. I think my place will have tenant very fast too. Cos according to agent, not many wanna rent out here. Plus near MRT
happy.gif


Eh... move to my place la. kekeke... When do you have to move out?
 
lyn, the tenant wants me to move out 10th May... faint - 8th May weekend I am in HK Disneyland with J. like i mentioned... i want to move near LW.. ke ke.. for J's convenience.

think your place rental should not be a problem. i have not even advertised, just 2 viewings, and the lady wanted to rent, and her hb still in France, he hasn't looked at the place yet.
 
Nao : heehee, solid gift eh ? heeheee
i love california baby scent !!!
which reminds me, time to source for party favors !!!

Cel : at this age, think kids will appreciate writing instruments, stickers ?
 
Cheri,
Yea, I like the place because it is just beside the reserves. Figured it out that it is the best place for child with weak lung and sensitive airways! They need fresh air mah! Haha.

Yea, it is time to buy now. There are speculations that property prices might go down even further. But for private and landed property, the owner of this real estate company said this is the best time to enter.

Lyn,
It’s situated on Bukit View. Right opposite Courts. Very close to the good schools along Bukit Timah stretch. There are 3 and 4 bedroom units. But most of these are speculated units. My agent said that there are not much units left as buyers there are contented with the environment enough not to sell. That is probably the only estate within that area that TOP this year.

Ashite,
Your place there … can help me to sniff sniff got nice TOP un-vacated places or not? We have to move out by this year!!
 
celeste

u going to see the tcm at whampoa? let me koe aft ur visit...am considering..i just now page for dr lim oso n ask him some qns..coz celest fever came back again yesterday aft her nap n was very persistent.keep coming back every 5/6hr...today afternoon hit 40degree..just now was 39..later see her condition how..if can wait,will wait till morning bring her go c dr lim..if not,later have to go liao...dun koe y her fever been bothering her since last week..up &amp; down..haiz..
 
angeline...

Hows celest? Have u brought her to Dr Lim last week when the fever start?

I always believe in being faithful to 1 doctor... try not to switch between 2 docs lah... cos i felt at least they have a records n they may be able to assess better...

As for TCM.. if tomorrow (SAT) got time.. i may go over...
 
mummies,

ya I think I am seriously thinking abt a maid after bb comes. My mum dun like to idea so I KIV till after. But after seeing all the comments from mummies that with a maid, the quality of life improve, I felt tempted too haha
happy.gif


lyn,

I dunno how to get kiddo interested in art leh. Hb and me both IT people hehee... but my kids are not that interested in getting themselves dirty in the past. But nowadays, they will participate. J loves to use marker all over her own body...one day she drew all over her arm like tatoo like dat, my mum was shocked! Lucky I use crayola markers which are easily removed with water. Else my J goes around like gangster
happy.gif


toto,

unless got miracle, its not possible for me to homeschool my kids full time at home in the next 5-10 years. Frankly my current pay package is considerably high and contribute significantly to the finances at home. With 3 kids even more so the expenses are high. I find it will be so hard for my hb to have to shoulder the finances alone... (unless he suddenly earn huge bucks). Gotta have money to support my mum cos I only got 1 younger brother... hard for him to support own family and mum alone. I thought of stopping work for just a year or so but hard too.. cos I have a very specialised field even in IT, so such positions are rare and the pressure to keep up is high.

pauline,

where is this place in bukit view u r eyeing? I am also looking out for condo in bukit timah cos if I let my kids go to Pei Hwa Presby, I wanna be closer.
 


Cheri: Ic, but if not taking TCM, then fish should be ok. Err, carrot will also negate medicine? All along tot only radish.

Lyn: 5 bedrooms you've got to get a house, most condo max is 4 bedrooms. Hope your dad has a successful op.

PP: Your PG is great! But i working so weekdays is no-no 8(

aishite: Me also like u, strong supporter of East. Never considered moving to other areas :p All my schools all in east except for uni cos there are none there!
 

Back
Top