(2006/04) April 2006 MTB

hunnie,
Water - at first, I ask her to bring her own bottle fm home but always end up that she forgets or she has no time to drink when outside. Aft a while, we stop doing that and when she is familiar with me, she will tell me that she is thirsty. Then we just grab a bottle of mineral water or coke or watever coz aftall in shopping centre, very easy to get drinks. Also, they tend not to drink too much when outside coz they dun want to keep going to the loo.

When going to restuarants, I will get her coke or fuzzy drink, depending on the price lar. Otherwise, i just stick to plain water coz i drink that too wat. But if go for coffee, i dun get her coffee as I dun expect her to sit down all the time and she very much rather take J to walk about nearby. Alternatively, I let J and her share as J has started to consume some of these drinks eg hot chocolate or juice.

As for food, when she is new, I would buy for her. This also set the expectation on how much food/quality of food you allow her. Aft that, I let her manage herself. Usually they like filling food like vege rice.

For phonecard, for a start, you can buy 1 time for her but make it clear is a reward. Then when she has salary, get her to pay for it coz seems like your maid has been used to good treatment and will expect the same from you. So from the beginning, you need to set the right expectation to avoid different expectations lor.

But a lot of rules and regulation all depend on yr maid's personality. Some need more, some need less and can regulate themselves pretty well.

Help!
I let KJ played with some stamp pads and stamps. It said that the ink is child proof and washable. But I cannot wash the ink off! Now KJ got green hands and a green butt. What should I do?

momyam & mel,

Thanks for the info, you are spot on Mel, her ex employers is an indonesian chinese who married a japanese woman, and they have 4 grown up kids, stay in Orchard rd area.. and gave her her own ezlink card which she brought back to Singapore this time round but I kept it.. I passed her my card to use to board the bus the first time and she thought I am giving it to her and her face changed when I said I want it back...

My hubby was very pissed when she pointed to the ceiling fan while lying on her mattress in the living room and told my hubby 'turn off the lights' in a commanding tone, as she didnt know which is the switch, without a word of please, see us also never greet us.. then I helpoed her call back to Indo yesterday using the calling card, and she couldnt get thru to her hubby and she just said she wants to call back this morning 9 am, it is like we HAVE to let her call back and she wasnt even asking for permission. And she doesnt even hold the lift or press the lift for us, and walk out first almost everytime. I brought her to NTUC and asked her if she prefers coffee or tea, cheaper mah.. and then she said in a matter of fact voice that she wants milo! I dont even drink milo at home leh..

I need to set the expectations right liao.. my fault for delaying letitng her know the expeactations and giving her her time table... have to work on it toight and let her know tomorrow.. thanks for your inputs ladies

Hey Hunniepot,

Yes, the first thing I did with my maid was to sit her down together with me and went through the house rules. For us, we will get her 1 phonecard a month (get from Lucky Plaza, you will pay less for a $10 value card and the per minute charge is cheaper, so they can talk longer). If she finishes the card before the month is up, she will pay for the extra card. Will be getting her a card every month, until the 7th month, when she starts getting her regular salary. I just followed what my eldest sis did actually.
happy.gif
I don't really limit her talk time, she does the limiting herself and would ask me how long can she talk for, etc.

As for drinks at restaurants, we will usually get water for her if we are also drinking that. If we are drinking sometimes else, I might ask her if she wants it too. Sometimes she wants, sometimes she will ask for water. Has asked her to bring water bottle out for long days out.

I know you are getting the maid to mainly help with housework, but you should also let her bond with Amanda more, cos you never know when you will have to leave Amanda in her care alone. If there's no bond, she might not take as good care of her as you would like. Or if she happens to be unhappy with you, she might harm her. For us, our maid is pretty good already, but we are still conscious to not be too harsh with her just in case she harms Ruixiang (no harm being paranoid abit).

One thing is you must not be afraid to give feedback. When she first arrived, she will yes mam, yes sir everything. Now not so much. So yesterday I told her jokingly that she must respond so that we know she hear us, and now, she will respond already. Can always convey the message across in a joking, teasing manner, using mock horror etc... she will get the point. Mine did at least.

Momyam, ya been busy with work and hardly much time to catch up wif the thread. Especially now with no.2 on the way. Heehee....think when gathering on weekdays I simply couldn't get leave off. Ok, now it seems it's gonna be awhile before I going to meet u all. In anyway, do keep me in the loop when there's gathering..heehee...Alamak, now ache here and there..dunno how I gonna deliver in 1 piece..haha

hunnie,
the maid that ran away used to work in saudi and i think she had a pretty good life there... so when she came here i think she not used to having to do hsework and look aft bb at the same time... anyw i think attitude is very impt... if she's slow i can accomodate but not lazy... i think if since she's so new and you can't "tame" her then i think it's quite diff to get along unless you can tahan her attitude... i have aldy changed 5 maids since the birth of GAB... one thing for sure you can't treat her nice when she arrives cos she'l think you can be bullied.. no such think she's part of your family...she has to noe she's the employee and you the employer.. so that she'l respect you as tat and not climb all over you... giving her the basic needs are good enuf... dun need to ask what BRAND she wants.. you eat watever i buy. if you want sumthing diff? can... use your own $ to buy.. dun pamper your maid when she just started work cos she'l demand for a LOT of things later.. i gt this maid after the 2nd mth she gave use 1 long (A4) list what she wants... eggs... milk.. biscuits... you name it... i was like you chin chai... but thats WRONG!!! calling card shd be paid by maid herself... according to wat you said abt your maid i think she's gg to be a prob one.. its beta to get a fresh one with no experience cos new employer but fresh maid need to have a lot of patience cos they really come from the village and noe mothing.. but at least wun have so many request....

my 3 cents worth nia... oh yeah besides attititude... cleaniness and hygiene also very impt...

hunnie - I think you will need to tame the attitude first. Like mine, I was like ching chai with her on some things and she starts to think that since I chin chai so dun need to ask liao.

At least you got your hubby around, usually the Indon maid regards the man as head of family and will behave better. But if yours can command your hubby, then she must be really "bold".

Recently, my maid was shocked that I can manage things myself (cos' I was thinking of sending her back to agency and so I didn't ask her to assist in anyway on those daily things she "forgot"). Guess she's been thinking that I will not be able to survive without her since hubby not around. Since then, she suddenly can remember all the daily tasks that she's supposed to do.

I find that with her attitude adjusted, it makes a lot of difference. Now she even has some iniatives on certain things. Now only concern on her ability to lookout for danger for my kids.

Agree with strawberry that experienced one will be more demanding, but inexperienced one you will need to have patience to teach and guide them.

As there's only me at home, so I din get a home line since moved back. So far I use my hp to let her call back home. Expensive lah but no choice. Still need to let her call back home, they sure miss their family.

Hi Su,

Thanks for your input.. perhaps being a SAHM from day 1, I am really reluctant to let A bond with the maid.. play for a while is ok, but I will make sure that will be somemore ard to supervise, my parents, my granny, my aunties, last resort, my SIL and my MIL.. to make sure she wont be left alone with the maid

stawberry,

Wah liaoz, what happened to that maid who gave you the long list of items that she wants? My maid is quite bold, can command my hubby.. but she seems better today, just talk thru with her my expectations and think she was taken aback when I said no off day.. think her previous employer gave her off days though not required unlike filipinos..

Yeah lor.. I regretted getting an experienced one, esp one that worked for those ultra rich pple b4.. lets see how this one work out, if not, I will just get one fresh out of kampong

Stephz,

You intending to send your maid back to the agent liao?

hunnie,

oh that maid that gave me a long list was sent back cos she was eating Gab's food while feeding her and she had her auntie visiting. she gave them our add with out asking our permission.. and she told me her aunt was visiting her not even asking.. telling...

anyw didnt the agent tell her no off days? and compensated by $$??
well, give yourself one mth lor.. if really can't meet your expectation then i guess too bad... let her know not many rich pple in s'pore so dun have her expectation so high.. and remind her why she's here... to work? or holiday? oso think abt it if you and hb are at home aldy got so prob... wat abt if you decide to to back to work? or you leave her alone at hm??

Botanic Garden:
Me keen, but need to check which entrance to go Children Park?
Cos need to find out the nearer MRT/Bus to take. Tentatively count me in, hope to join u all....

strawberry,

Wah liao, your that maid too much... was your maid alone with Gab then? Or your mum is ard to supervise?

Indo got no off days mah.. agent told her liao, in front of me, but think she was used to good life thats why lor.. I bought some fish, frozen chicken, maggie noodles for her.. and she told me, she likes fishballs, fish cakes and canned tuna! For mw, if she does a good job, I wouldnt mind buying those for her, but canned tuna is a luxury item.. once in a while is fine.. can tell now she is very scred of mu hubby cos my hubby doesnt like to talk to her and when he doesnt smile, he actually looks very fierce, see how lor.. very sian having to manage a total stranger in our house right?

Are you maidless now? Waiting for ur new maid to come? Indo or filipino?

Im going back to work next Jan liao, so wont be ard to supervise her but luckily my parents will be coming over everyday.. so she wont be left alone with my girl at any time lor

Hey Hunniepot,

Your maid really too much leh. Is she married with kids? Must get her to remember what is she here for... for my maid, I asked her why is she here for, and when she said for her daughter and family, then I told then that she must work hard, be honest and not disappoint them. If I am you, I would have given your maid a scolding for demanding so much so soon! :p

hunnie - in the meantime, I'm not sending her back. Agent said cannot get back maid loan, only option is to get a replacement. But I dun want, who knows more headache and can't imagine myself to re-teach all over again.

So far she's ok now, but really no sense of danger for kids. Few days ago, let my kids play in the pool in the house. Phone rings and I carried No. 2 to room to answer. She was with No.1. When I'm out, my No. 1 was alone in the pool and she's in her room. The water is about 0.5m high. Thank God my No. 1 was lazing quietly on her float.

So far, see how first, with me around, so it was quite safe in certain sense. Only scared that she thinks highly of herself again and override instructions esp safety of child. If so, guess then off she will go.

Hi everyone...Have a blessed Xmas and new year..
Time jus flies with kids..

Got good maid agency to recommend? Heehee...might have to consider to take one but hearing from u all I wonder if I should....

Hi all,

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Need some advise here.. Amanda keeps blinking her eyes non stop for the past 1 week already, and each time she blinks, she seems to be using alot of force, anyone has any advice here?

Merry Xmas to everyone!

Sighh..Xmas eve spent at home..hee..cos bobian, Ivec is an early sleeper, asleep by 9.30pm..so most of the outings are either in the aftns or to reach home by 9pm!

Hunnie
mabbe u can bring her to some kids' eye doc to take a look? Better check early cos if this has been happening for the past one week, its better to check to be sure..

RE: Outing
Love to join u girls..but that timing is diff cos Ivec will be taking his nap b4 his Shichinda class..so most prob unable to join :p

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Draik,
so u will be sharing cab with momyam la...
hmmm...anyone wanna share cab?...me staying north....dont mind to meet at nearest mrt...

dont mind...anyone can tell me which entrance to go children park???

<font color="ff0000">Merry christmas all APRIL 2006 mummies!</font>

Mrs Ho,
This is the info on how to get to the children's garden:

By car or taxi

From Dunearn Road - At the Dunearn-Kheam Hock Road junction, turn right to enter NUS Bukit Timah Campus. Turn right into Jacob Ballas Children's Garden after car park gantry.

From Bukit Timah Road - At the Bukit Timah-Kheam Hock Road junction, turn left to enter NUS Bukit Timah Campus. Turn right into Jacob Ballas Children's Garden after car park gantry.

Parking is available at Jacob Ballas Children's Garden and NUS Bukit Timah Campus.

By bus SBS Bus No. 48, 66, 151, 153, 154, 156, 170, 186 and SMRT Bus No. 67, 171. Alight along Bukit Timah Road, NUS Bukit Timah Campus bus stop.

Website link
http://www.sbg.org.sg/bukittimahcore/ChildrenGarden.asp

Shylyn,
How I wish Aiden sleeps early like Ivec. The truth is, he just fell asleep. And every night for the past few months, he has never slept before 10.30pm. But luckily he makes up for it in the daytime, when he naps 3 hrs straight.

Hunniepot,
I think A may have some discomfort in her eye. Better to get a dr check it out. Or have you noticed someone teaching her to blink her eye hard lately?

Hi all,

I just went to the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden this morning.

Just a note to mummies who are bringing their kids there. There is a water play feature, and it will be better to bring along a towel and a new change of clothes/diaper cos the kids will not be able to resist the temptation to get totally wet. Don't forget the sunblock too.

My Aiden had a really good time there.

Draik,
happy.gif

I assigned my hub to take care of my son at the water play cos I was wearing berms and my fave Birkies! Can't get wet!

So, mummies too..... pls turn up in shorts/water-proof sandals. Basically treat it like going to a beach.

Darik, Mrs Ho &amp; Hunnitpot, u girls have a message "YOU"VE GOT MAIL"

TWW, you went har.. fun right! hahha.. hey, will u still go with us on 5/1?

Jacob Ballas Children's Garden

1) momyam
2) Hunniepot
3) Darik
4) Mel aka motherhen
5) Smurfy
6) jasminetea
7) Tracy
8) TWW
9) Mrs Ho (horray FINALLY!!)

let me know if any one are keen.. i had a great Christmas.. hope all of you had a great time..

hunnie,
now my maid burmese ah... she's good just communication barrier lor... basically need to train from scratch cos she's from the village mah...she very patient with GAB i must say.. hygiene a bit bad but have to teach and explain lor...

yeah the maid was kinda alone with Gab cos my grams stays in her room unless she cries then she'l come out and see what happens..

got a new job?? congrats...

Hi momyam, include me for Jacob Ballas too. Hope I could join u all before I pop the wk after! Heehee...That place is really lovely for the kids.

Momyam,
me too, dint received ur mail....can resend bo?? [email protected]

hope to joint u girls on coming gathering... errr...by the way...i dont have any of your contact here...can anyone going pm me ur contact plssssss....worry i will get lost

Tanwawas
Hmm..was wondering how come u change ur nick..hee..
Yep.gd in a way that Ivec can sleep early..think he overtire himself in CC..heheh...b4 attending CC, he wont sleep until at least 10pm..hmm..miss those days as well cos more time to spend w him ^_^ heehh..contridicting myself eh?

RE: Outing
aiyo...u gals really make my heart itchy leh...really wasted cant join u all..i also wanted to go there to look c look c...hmm..must rem to post some photos ok?

Hi mommies! Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!

My hubby wants to bring me and no. 1 for a short holiday in Jan. My mom says she'll help look after no. 2. Now we are deciding between HK (where there's Disneyland) and a cruise. I can't decide between these 2 places... any mommies here have brought your toddler to either one? anything to consider?

Hi Fussiecat,

those are the 2 places are the one i chose when I first decide to go for a holiday. But end up I chose HK. Will be going next May. Cruise is more convenient for our little ones but they are very expensive!!!

Tiff - you make me laugh! you silly mother.. if i'm a movie star i dont mind having supporter lei hahaha..

Glad that so many mamas coming along this trip. Really hope to see you girls.

SU!! where r u? Free to come? didnt see u lei!!

Mrs HO - i've already emailed you.. let me know whether u received ok?

Shylnn, nvm la.. there will always be another good outing!

Jacob Ballas Children's Garden

1) momyam
2) Hunniepot
3) Darik
4) Mel aka motherhen
5) Smurfy
6) jasminetea
7) Tracy
8) TWW
9) Mrs Ho
10) Tiffany
11) Babe

fussiecat

I haven been on a cruise for a long time so no comments on that but I just went to HK in Oct.

On Disneyland, I think J had fun there, watching the parades and very excited to "see" the real DL characters like Mickey etc. He enjoyed most of the rides too though it there aren't many to begin with. We spent abt 3/4 of the day there as it is quite tiring. But I would suggest that you spend a night at the nearby disney hotel so that u can go back and rest and then continue the day. But if you go in Jan, it will be quite cold so a bit troublesome as you have to bring more clothing. Also, you don't have to bring your pram, you can rent one there.

Other than DL, we went about free and easy but HK is not really a very bb friendly place so a bit hard to find children's room and their bb chair in most restaurants are not like our....it is a stool that they stack on top of normal chair.

If DL is the main reason u r going to HK, I suggest you go there on yr 2nd day. For me, I went there on the 3rd day and by then, a bit tired already.

Tracy, many pple suggested that we go in MAy cos the weather is more like Singapore's. But we want to go during my M leave cos I'm going to be v bz at work in May...

Hi motherhen aka Mel! we are thinking of staying at the Disney hotel too. I know there are two, did you stay at either one? i've been to HK before and i agree it's not v bb friendly...

Fussiecat,

I have been to HK in Feb before. Pretty cold. Maybe you have to prepare more clothings for your little one.

I did some research and found out that Disney Hotel is located at Lantau Island (Da Yu San). Isn't it very inconvenient to travel to city?

By the way, there is a promotion going on now if you buy air tickets from SIA. Go check out their website.

Fussiecat
its not inconvenient to travel by the MTR. if you are taking the MTR from town.. take to LAI KING then change to TUNG CHUNG line.. i stay ard tung chung when in HKG then go all the way to SUNNY BAY and change another MTR to disney land. you'l not miss it cos the mtr's window is the shape of mickey mouse and there will be announcements on the train telling pple to alight. the disney is mtr is so beautiful.. you feel like you are on a ride to fantasy island.. i went there with my hb and bb this june when i was in HKG for training...
weather is very nice and cooling now but i think it'l get colder in jan.. yeah its not a very bb frenly place in town esp the shopping area... too many pple out on the streets and the cha chan tang is so cramp.
when my family were there we only hang out at tsing yi- shoppin mall cos not too crowded.

but shopping is good... go to PRINCE EDWARD-hua yuan jie(flower garder street) after that you can walk to ARGLE CENTER then to nu ren jie.. all along the way...

or you can go causeway bay- oso got a lot of small shops.but it'll be packed...

another place to go is KWAI FONG.. also change to another train at LAI KING... its like a mini MONGKOK. 2 shopping malls. which i highly recommend cos less pple...i brot my bb there and i din have any prob..

nowadays i go to KWAI FONG to shop cos its almost the same as mongkok if not cheaper cos its not tourist attraction...

oh yeah... at disney land they have tis restaurant-buffet style.. the disney character will come out to say hello and play with the kids.. you can take pixs with them... gab had a blast...

Back