(2005/02) Feb/Mar 2005 Babies

folic
so sorry to hear abt ur mil. take care ok?

fries
enjoy ur day on Fri. i'm sure iggy would enjoy the cycling trip and the fishes at underwater world!

babygrace, pax,
this year for mother's day aside from his gift to me, he also bought a gift to me from sarah. i also did the same thing for father's day. we are both very koo-koo one lah, sometimes also buy gifts/cards "from" our cats to each other for the past 10yrs!!! Haha!! siao already...

folic,
my condolences to your family.

fries,
i'm sure iggy will enjoy the cycling. i'm hoping to bring J to ECP again over the holiday weekend. This time i'll pillion him while daddy jogs
happy.gif

qdee,
i'm sure N is still a pretty gal despite the botched hair cut!

So envious, everyone cutting their bb's hair. J only has that long tuft of hair at the top of his head which i'm deciding whether to cut or not.

Hi Folic,
Condolences to u & ur HB's family! But may not be a bad thing afterall since she wasn't doing too well right? *HUGS*

Hi BBGrace,
Haha! Same same! Still waiting for A's hair to grow! But nanny helped me cut her fringe (the front centre part grows faster than the other parts!). Dunno if we can "repair" the necklace? Maybe bring to goldsmith to ask...i think that necklace was from nanny's MIL..i feel so bad!
A's so destructive...today she managed to "tear" out the "musical" part of a musical book. & she can pull out some parts of the "peek-a-block school-bus". Dunno where she learnt all the violence from

Hi Lani,
So sweet of u & ur HB
happy.gif
Both HB & me r not the gift-y type..haha! saves the trouble
lame.gif
But may consider buying a gift "from Ashley" *inspired by u guys*

Hi Pax,
i'll be going to my parents place (bt gombak) on monday..will u b ard? If not, i can arrange to go over on tue or wed (also on leave)..heheh! Let me know which day is better
happy.gif
Otherwise see when u'll be coming to ur in-laws place.
happy.gif

omg
i shld be ard on Mon. wat time u coming? we can meet up at west mall with our babies? u got my hp no? call me okie?

bbgrace
i also haven't cut M's hair before. M's hair vv nice n soft, also not vv much hair. my mom n mil have been asking me to cut his hair.

Hi mummies,

I'm a April MTB and am looking for a confinement lady. If you have had a good CL, please recommend to me.
kao_babydust2.gif
[email protected]

I've not made up my mind whether to get singaporean (day only) or m'sia stay-in CL. I'm intending to BF my baby, so die die at night also must wake up and tend to baby right? Anyone can share on your own nursing experience during confinement if it's necessary/advantages to have a CL at night?

Thanks v much.
kao_kiss.gif

i typed a whole lengthy post and then my internet got cut off... xian...

folic, my condolenses to you and your family..

bbgrace, my hubby and i are also not the gift-y types.. if we see something.. we will just buy and give each other and say that is for what what what occasion...

pax, i will be in jurong next week... will call u one of the nights to see if you are at home to collect the books....

looks like lots are you gals are not the gifty types. christmas and birthdays are the 2 occasions where we buy gifts for each other. i was on the verge of telling him that we don't buy presents for each other this year. Then i realised he got 2 gifts for me and i opened one of it already. And that made me even more guilty cos it's something that i like a lot. so i die die must find something for him.

chenoa,
it's definitely useful to have some help around during confinement. i latch my baby directly at night every 2 hours but my CL sleeps with him and brings him over to me for feeds. She'll help with changing his diapers at night and tend to him when he cries so that i can have more rest.

Hi babygrace,
thanks for reply. did your baby wear disposables at night? if yes, still need diaper change ah.....i thought 1 diaper can last the whole night. So I was wrong. (me ignorant MTB) Which brand you use?

chenoa,
breastfed babies tend to poo more often and i changed his diapers more often at every 2 to 3 hrs. Tried several brands, pampers, mamy poko and fitti. Because i change him so often, fitti is the most economical. My bb was also v small at birth so the cutting for fitti was more suitable. pampers and MP was too big for him

hi bbgrace
me and hubby also not gifty type. Last time still got gifts during special ocassion. Now no more liao. Sometimes if i know he needs something during his birthday, I'll get it for him loh.

hi chenoa
my mum stayed with me during confinement and bb slept with her. like bbgrace, my mum will wake me up when bb wanna latch on at night. Subsequently my mum prefer me to express out and she would feed baby with EBM. And she didn't wake me up to heat up the milk. She'll do it herself and I continue ZZzzz :p

hi mommies...all on leave liao!

woke up today and it was HAZY! sigh so scrapped the ECP plans. but will go underwater world when iggy wakes from his nap.

chenoa, i took care of my bb by myself at nite. i didn't have CL, only my MIL. and yeah, changed baby when wet/poo at nite too. i didn't find it too tough...once u got used to it.

qdee, how was science centre? glad ur gals are well enuf to go kai kai! hope they enjoy xmas!

Hi,

Wonder if you know of any ad-hoc baby-sitters? For instance, to take care of baby when my husband and I attend classes. Our classes are on 2 weekends and 4 weekday nights over half a year. May consider leaving baby with the nanny once in a while to catch a movie. We're staying in Sengkang.

hi gals, TGIF!
And a great long weekend ahead.
While everyone is rather free in Dec .. I am darn busy .. lesser postings from me.

Folic, our condolences to you and your family. I hope everyone is coping well.

Fries!!!!! Where hv u been?? I was just thinking of u this morning and u appear heeeeeh. Actually I was thinking if u are busy baking cookies and getting your xmas stuffing right. Science centre was boring for me but fun for the kids. Theres waterplay there now and loads of exhibit. Q was most happy at the human body section. Coz at this stage shes curious abt the internal workings of the body.

We are gg to the airport and maybe, a picnic this weekend. After 2 weekends of being cooped up at home, all of us need fresh air.

Chenoa, I dun hv CL. My mom helped me out. But at nite I did all the work (changed diapers, burped etc) coz bb was TBF. Anyway most nites I slept with bb.
But my nice mom kept me company. It would be good if u can hv some help at nite esp since u are a first time mom. Coz it can be rather tiring and stressful. Esp if bb is colicky or not a sound sleeper

Hi Mommies, sorry to intrude.
Just to check with all of u, did the nurse give enema to clear bowels before giving birth? How was it done and is it painful?

Hi mommies,
glad to know that you all have mothers / MIL to help. Unfortunately, I have to get external help cos my mom don't want to take unpaid leave to help me do confinement. And although I stay with my MIL, she got back problem and wants me to engage a CL for me and baby. Housework she will still do as normal. (sigh) so troublesome....

Aiyo....like what bbgrace mentioned, seems like most mommies are clearing their leave....

went to have my hair cut yesterday in orchard area. on the way back on the train.. felt like buying some clothes for myself since i haven't been buying clothes since i was pregnant. came out of the train at cityhall... ended up only buying 2 pcs of clothes for CE, and none for myself.... so upset that i couldn't see anything i like despite i was finally ready to spend on myself!!!
sad.gif

fries, we will also be bringing CE to sentosa next week with some overseas frens... dunno if he will know how to appreciate the sea creatures or not...oh oh... he will be taking his first cable car ride too!!! let's hope that he doesn't have height phobia...

chenoa, it is always good to have help, esp if it is your first child.... somehow bbies love to poo at night, esp breastfed bbies... my sis just gave birth and she bought pet pet s size diapers.. smaller than most s sizes in the market.. more like pampers NB size.. so it is more economical since u might have to change bb every other hr (cos most times, poo will come out together with their farts, so will need to change really often).

berlinda, enema is not painful. it's just a very slim tube inserted in your rectum, and the nurse will inject the medicine. will have an urge to move your bowels after a few minutes. not everyone will need an enema. if you have moved your bowels before admitting, then u might be able to miss it...

Update on CE:
I finally understood why he is rejecting food... last few weeks, he was sprouting his 5th and 6th tooth. This couple of weeks, he is sprouting his 7th and 8th tooth (can finally feel the sharp edges today)....hopefully his appetite can pick up real soon.....

Jan, Ce has soo many teeth. N still bogeh!! Think she'll be the last one to hv teeth.
Now at least u know the reason why he's not eating. N hasn't been eating well lately and find that she's getting light. The last time we weighed her she's only 8.7kg.

Hey btw shop after xmas la .. more things on sale.

aiyo......so many CL all booked in Apr liao. last resort, I have to kao zi ji already.

BTW, there's a thread for Ameda pump bulk purchase. Anyone using it now can comment? or heard any friend's comments? You reckon I should buy now?

qdee.... it seems like for bbies who teeth late may have their teeth sprouting all at the same time?? my nephew had 2 lower teeth for almost 6 mths b4 the rest of his teeth decide to make their appearance together.... he had hell of a time then.. hopefully N will not encounter this situation.... now that N has just recovered from her illness, i hope that she will eat more and put on more weight
happy.gif

berlinda.. it is not like diarrhoea. just an urge to go poo poo. anyway, that will be the last worry in your mind when u have to deal with contraction pain then.

chenoa, i would recommend for u to buy after u have stablised your milk supply, and that u are sure that u want to continue BFing. i have alot of frens who want to BF, only BF for a couple of mths in the end... so it will be such a pity to have a dual pump at home workign for 2 mths or so only. try harder to get a CL recommendation.... you will need all the help u can during the 1st mth. Cl can also teach you the skills and techniques that most 1st time mummies will not know...

jannie - yeah your theory is right. Q had 4 in 2 wks, cant remember if she was cranky having all 4 abt the same time... pray hard N wont be cranky.

Berlinda, u will just need to poop one time & clear everything. No pain one. Anyway like Jannie said, it would be the last thing on your mind. If u dun want enema u can tell that to your gynae. But make sure u clear bowel b4 gg to hosp.

Merry X'mas in advance!
happy.gif

Hi Berlinda,
I didn't have any enema..although i was constipated for a few days b4 delivery (didn't tell my gynae since she didn't ask)
lame.gif
Not all gynaes practise giving enema, i think.

Hi Chenoa,
Hope u can find a CL! For me, my HB's aunty (MIL's sis) helped with meals & bathing BB & BB's laundry..MIL helped with the housework. i did all the BB's feeds (direct latching) & nappy/diaper changes day & night. Anyway just change after feeding..doesn't take much time..although very frequent! HB helps out a bit in the evenings too!
happy.gif

Hi Lee-Tung,
Can ur BB get used to ad-hoc nanny? At this age, they'r very particular abt their caregivers. i think Ashley will cry her lungs out if we leave her alone with a stranger even for 5mins!

Hi Jannie,
CE has soo many teeth! Just in time for CNY goodies
biggrin.gif

Berlinda,
enema is not as scary as you think. in fact i was quite relieved to be cleared of all the poo. haha!
when my contractions started, it felt like i had to poo but nothing came out. actually i didn't need the enema cos i ended up with c-section after that.

jannie,
hope CE gets over his teething discomfort soon!

Chenoa,
so far 2 of my "pumping buddies" at work who use ameda had to replace the valve of their pump. My medela dual pump is still serving me well. only complain is that it's very noisy.

hi hi hi gals,

Have a happy Holiday!
To those celebrating - Merry Christmas!

Deer Nayli wishing u a Merry Christmas.
351058.jpg

I know it's supposed to be like this .. but I broke this horn heeeeh

351059.jpg

qdee
N is so pretty! where do u stay / work? i'm wondering now how to pass u e books.

jannie
no problem. jus give me a call. abt ur shopping experience, it's the same for me. i end up buying M's stuff most of the time, when i really wan to get something for myself. abt teething, u mentioned to me b4 that stool would be watery, right? and also maybe loss of appetite? i think M might be spouting his first tooth finally. watery stool, cranky, not much interest in food.

chenoa
i was using Medela Pump in Style. it's good and quiet. i could drain my breasts effectively in 10min, but it's expensive, it cost $599. if u really wan to get ur pump now, u must be determined n continue pumping / bf for at least 6mths. if not, there's no point getting a pump. now that maternity leave is 3mths, some mothers stop bf after that. i recommend Gina Ford's The New Contented Little Baby Book for establishing baby's feeding schedule n boosting ur bm supply.

HOHOHO! Merry X'mas!

Hi Pax,
Happy 10th mth to M!!
happy.gif
A celebrated her 10th mth yday
wink.gif

hI Qdee,
N is growing up!!!
happy.gif
She's also quite destructive huh--broke the horn
biggrin.gif

alamak pax!! i just remembered i havent pay u money! paiseh.
I'll ask HB to transfer when he's back.

Omg, yeah quite destructive, she spoiled our remote control as well ..

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hope that everyone had an enjoyble weekend.

We had lots of fun these 2 days. Lots of food and presents. J received so many sets of clothes and toys, i don't need to buy anymore
happy.gif

qdee,
N is so cute with the horns
happy.gif

Happy 10 months to M and A!

Dear mommies,
a special thank you to all who have responded to my SOS for CL. I've finally found one.
happy.gif
Hope she will not tua me at a later date.

Do you still remember when your baby starts to upgrade to size S diapers? after 1 month or more? Me worried I have bought too many NB diapers :p

Hi, mummies. What a good Christmas it was! It was such a relaxing, do-nothing super-long weekend! Still holiday mood today... :)

Omg, our girl seems OK with most people. She'll smile at strangers when we bring her out. After warming up, she'll even yak away. Haha... Some nights when we attended wedding dinners, we used to put her with in-laws or my parents. The thing is that whenever we put her with in-laws, they tell baby that "Daddy and Mummy are going out to have fun lo... Not bringing you along lo..." It got on my nerves so much the last time that we now bring baby to wedding banquets. Both hubby and I decided that we'll not put her with in-laws or my parents (Hubby said my parents could say such things too, and I've heard it once from them too.). Don't understand why they must make such remarks. They're so happy to take care of baby for the few hours, but I don't want my baby to think that her parents leave her behind and went out to have fun. We'll be in a dilemma next year 'cos hubby and I will both be attending a course. Hope to find alternative baby-care arrangement during classes. Luckily it is a distance-learning course and so the lessons are only a few per semester.

Lee Tung, your parents/in-laws are such opposites from mine.
U know, everytime i wanna bring my girls out, my mom will moan that she'll be lonely and ask to leave at least one of them at home to 'babysit' her
happy.gif

Sometimes she'll say that N is not well enough to go out etc just so I leave her at home. Granparents are a funny lot sometimes, dun take heart, maybe they are just joking
happy.gif

Jannie, talking abt food, N is not eating well now too. Like what bbgrace said, maybe bored of porridge. The last few days i fed her bread with milk, french toast etc. She loves it.
How i wish she has a few teeth then i can give her more finger food.

Last week, we brought her out for dinner at the airport. She was quite contented to eat her porridge until she saw our food being served. She screamed and squirmed in her seat. Refused to eat the porridge. Gave her milk, she pushed the bottle away. She kept raising her arms towards our food. Then fed up, gave her some veggie crackers that the restaurant served and she screamed with delight. Holding and licking her precious cracker. She ate a total of 5 crackers!

N's new tricks
-------------------

This weekend N learn to beat you hitting my face without failed everytime she hears that phrase.
Both HB and myself wondering how come things like this they learn real fast??

Last week, she learnt the word stop. Will freeze whatever she's doing and turn to look at us .. before continuing her 'work' a couple of seconds later while looking at us from the corner of her eyes.

She also learnt to hide her toys/books. Take them and slide them down her back.
At the same time, she learn to 'discover'/uncover things which we hid - behind our back, under pillows, blankets.

And for the past month she perfected the art of 'sliding'. She'll take a book/cloth/blanket, spread it open, put both palms on the item and push/slide - so she doesnt have to crawl - and it's much faster than crawling. Cunning!

N's new tricks
-------------------

This weekend N learn to beat you hitting my face without failed everytime she hears that phrase.
Both HB and myself wondering how come things like this they learn real fast??

Last week, she learnt the word stop. Will freeze whatever she's doing and turn to look at us .. before continuing her 'work' a couple of seconds later while looking at us from the corner of her eyes.

She also learnt to hide her toys/books. Take them and slide them down her back.
At the same time, she learn to 'discover'/uncover things which we hid - behind our back, under pillows, blankets.

And for the past month she perfected the art of 'sliding'. She'll take a book/cloth/blanket, spread it open, put both palms on the item and push/slide - so she doesnt have to crawl - and it's much faster than crawling. Cunning!

morning mommies!

QDEE!!! N is so pretty! and she's still chubby chubby. doesn't look like she just recovered! hey, wanted to tell u we swung by the Science Centre too ... though our destination was supposed to be Chinese Garden. wah! the place changed so much. Saw the WaterWorks too. really fun looking! i'm sure Q must have enjoyed herself there!

and N's abilities are amazing. wanted to tell u dat my FIL also taught iggy to flap hands like bird!!!

jannie, how was CE's trip to Sentosa?? Iggy loved it!
walau...CE sure is teethy!

where is Ribena?
where is Phantom?
where is Kristen?

fries,
posting at 2.29pm still "morning"?? :p

qdee,
J also likes to slide using his toys. I was joking to hb that maybe i should give him a rag and he can mop the floor.

J's development
Like N, J also learnt new tricks over the weekend.

He holds the phone or whatever object in his hands to his ears whenever i say "hello"

i hide his little toy train inside a tube and using another empty one, i will switch the tubes around and ask him where the train is. He can guess correctly. God of Gamblers in the making? haha!

Knows the action for "no more". When he finished his milk, he'll hand me his bottle and show "no more". Only thing is that his "no more" is more like twinkle twinkle little stars.

jannie,
hope you can find a solution for CE's lack of appetite. this evening i made alphabet pasta with minced beefballs, carrot, potato, celery just like cooking beef stew. J loves it cos it's something different. Now i also have to wreck my brains to keep finding variety for him.

i have a different problem when feeding J. Just like i was telling some of the gals today, J will try to stand up from his high chair and lean / climb on the tray. Very dangerous. when i tell him "no", he'll shake his head, sit down and then get up again. Looks like i need to get those high chair with 5 pt harness cos he knows how to wriggle out from this one. sigh!

thanks mommies.. happy belated 10months to Ashley. yes Matthew turned 10months on x'mas day. but our poor little baby had fever and diarrhea. in fact today still had 2x diarrhea. he's much better now. PD was saying that he looked too active to be sick.

Hi, Qdee.

Ya, I think they're joking too. Just that it's carried too far that I can't tolerate it. Think it's not good to tell kids that their parents are bad. It can have adverse effect on the child's impression of the parents at such a tender age. Well, probably baby doesn't understand a word of what in-laws say now. Still, if in-laws keep at it and it becomes a habbit (which I think it has), the kid will come to understand the meaning of the remark in time to come.

Hi, mommies.

Wonder if I should sign baby up for a trial lesson at Gymboree Music or KinderMusik. Will she understand what is being taught? While we want to expose her to music and is she's interested, let her pick up an instrument eventually, we're skeptical whether now is the right time to start. For one, the lessons are not cheap. Secondly, I remember my brother started learning the piano when he was about 4 yrs old. Recalled that that's about the right age to start. Another philosophy is that such classes are places for babies to interact. However, I think there are other opportunities leh... like the outings you've organised (thinking of joining in a few times but schedule didn't permit). Moreover, since baby is in infant care centre, she already has kiddy friends there liao leh... ;-)

fries, CE still hasn't been to Sentosa.. we plan to bring him this Friday if the weather permits. Hopefully he will enjoy it as much as Iggy did!

Qdee, having alot of teeth is not a developmental milestone lah... what i mean is his ability to learn things...anyway... i have a feeling that he might be sprouting his lower back teeth (those just before the molars) cos he is now constantly sticking his finger at the sides to chew.. anyway, may take another few more weeks to see the teeth...

this forum gone mad, i kept getting rejected messages but my posting get posted not once but twice!

jannie - coz CE is busy with sprouting teeth that's why he's slowing down his other activities. It must be taxing on his little body. So he just cool it a little. U wait till all the sprouting is over .. i am sure he'll learn everything at supersonic speed!

fries!! yeah i read your blog. Yesterday cannot go into forum, i go read all the blogs (BTW, phantom go update your blog!hehe). So did u & Iggy like SC? I dun like it haha.

Nothing amazing abt N's abilities .. I am sure when Iggy get to be 10 mths he'll be able to do all those and more! See now he can fly like a bird
happy.gif

BBgrace, u wanna give J rag? HB and me want to give N magiclean wipes! haha!
J very smart huh? Next time he can work at the IR/casino. Maybe u can intro mahjong soon.

hi gals,
i'll just post my version of beefball alphabet pasta to share with you all since some of you have asked me for the recipe.

It's v easy. Not exactly like beef stew cos i din use tomatoes.

i boil the soup using the following ingredients

1. minced beef (made into beef balls)
2. half a carrot (sliced)
3. 1 small potato (quartered)
4. 1 stalk celery
5. chopped spinach (just a bit)(optional)

Just boil the stock for 15mins (or longer if u want more flavour) and then add the pasta. i'll let the pasta boil in the soup and leave it in there till it soak up the stock, expand and becomes soft. By then, it'll not hv much soup left.
When served, just mash the beefballs and some carrots and feed.

i use the coloured organic pasta from the brand Eden made from spinach, carrot, beetroot and dunno what else. Thought i may be a bit more nutritious compared to normal pasta. But expensive lor, $6.50 for 1 pack.

i'm also looking for new receipes since J likes variety. Any to share?

babygrace, i cook my pasta with chicken stock, corn, carrots and minced beef.

i've read u can cook cheese with chicken, and some veggie like spinach/parsnip.

orange with fish, and some veggies.

bbgrace, bake!
HB used to bake fish (ngor her) with orange or lemon rind. Put a bit of orange juice cover the baking dish and pop in oven for 15-20 mins over medium heat.

Back