(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hi Serena ... regarding having a favourite child, for me, it's kinda yew. One son has a special meaning to me so his birth is very special. I don't dwell on that or particular bothered by it. I do treat both as equally as I can ... but life's never fair. Each child is special in his/her own way and they have their own special needs. For number 1, one usually would remember every milestone possible and 100% of attn goes onto the kid. With the next one, one takes it easier too and start to feel disturbed by the equal treatment question. But with #2 onwards, the child tends to benefit also that he's/she's not a guinea pig, and there's the siblings to add to the love. Think I've diverted on the qn :>

.ky.

Hi Serena,

Adeline's son is a very fluent reader. He has almost completed all the 5 books of the Spiderwick Series. B is just starting on it now. Talk abt influences among kids...

On favouritism, a sensitive topic... Hmm, good news? For myself, I have long given up debating if I practise favouritism. What's important for my kids to know is that I love them wholeheartedly and unconditionally. However, they must also understand that priority or attention will always be given to the one who needs me more at any time.

Hi k's mom, my gynae was Shirin Jacob at Camden. Her waiting room looks, smells and even sounds like a spa. She's since decided to cut down to 10 patients a day to improve her quality of life but she jacked up her prices 3x! So I'm in the market for a new gynae
happy.gif

Yes I use a book called the Wise Guide for Spelling by Wanda Sanseri. I believe Borders has it. Any list you can come up with will do, but having a list saves time and trouble. Spelling/phonics instruction is not our primary way of building up vocabulary. It ultimately has to be reading since it provides a much more enjoyable backdrop to learning.

Serena, I'm not a fan of the Geronimo books because it often has these references to crushes or cute chicks which I find totally inappropriate for a 5 yr old child. But I try not to interfere too much as long as he's enjoying the reading and, like you say, the books are generally ok. Luckily, those bits are over his head!

Serenade, hope B is enjoying the Spiderwick Chronicles! It was a turning point for RK as the print is small (it's regular print for adults), and he doesn't like that. But the pictures and the shortish length of the book (just over 100 pages) helped.

I totally recommend to everyone here! It does however get thrilling at Bk 2 and rather scary at Bk 4 and Bk 5.

On toys, I met a Lego expert who told me the belief at Lego is that young kids should have free play and build anything they like to realize their imagination and empower their creativity. But in later years, following the instructions helps them to better understand building concepts so that they can again leapfrog and build more complex structures on their own.

Personally, we have so much Lego, I think we need to diversify ...

Wow,Adeline that's impressive for a 2003 child. Ha.. you know why the author write these cute chicks stuff because he's Italian!! They are very expressive people!! That's putting it in a nice way. Locally I would call it "hum sai" in cantonese, ha...anyway besides that I think the books has great vocab.

I was thinking to myself if I have 2 kids then what would happen? Would I love one more than the other? Guess will never find out. At least for now I get to hear from you mommies!! I guess the first one will always be special.

Worry mum, wanted to ask you, whether the coach to K.L has any toilet in it? Hubby says may want to go K.L in a coach. I'm very "mountain", never taken a coach to Malaysia before. Also, do they stop halfway for you to take a break or it's non-stop journey?

Moshi, you AWOL or what. Haven't seen you around.

Hi Adeline,
Have u considered going for the Lego class?

K's mom, my hubby's the sort that must finish the instruction manual before he does anything ... I figure out along the way. That's why he's always rescuing me!

on GGG, I was not following until today ... I'm keen - what to do, 2 boys leh! Anyway, I've just called the shop at Suntec. They are down to 2 sets for "under the sea series", and they've marked the items for clearance. They are no longer bringing anymore LR items in ... seems like they are not LR's distributor and they are probably not doing it anymore. I've checked with another place and indeed so this is very cheap.

Sherlyn, u want? I can get for u and pass to u on Sat ... or anyone? There's also the Safari set but I've asked for the last set :> ... 1 for each boy for now (must be fair right?). let's hope they don't fight. the fights btw have started and I'm like watching a show. very comical actually.

.ky.

Serena,

The coach to KL is without toilet cubicle. Though some coach they have it at the end of the bus, it's always locked. There will be 2 stops altogether, 1 is a makan stop and another one is toilet break only.

Hope the above info helps..

Hi Adeline,

Like RK, B hates reading books with small (or should I say tiny?) print too. But the moment he got hold of the book, he read 4 chapters at one go. But I'm slowing him down, doing one chapter a night. That leaves us some time to discuss what we read.
happy.gif

Serena, tks for that. But you know how it goes - before our kids could talk, we kept trying to hurry them. Then we can't get them to stop! Now I can't stop him from reading my emails, my sms ... :)

ky, yes we tried Lego school at Great World City. My son totally disliked it however, because he found it bossy. I have to tell you that he finds most things bossy btw, like drawing class, colouring books ... because he likes to draw/colour/make Lego structures in whatever form he likes, so it's a bit curtailing for him to do what a teacher wants him to do. Our experience was also rather bad - for the trial class, he was put in with the 6/7yr old boys when he was 4, because he's very good with Lego bricks, but he wanted to learn how to work with gears at the time. The boys were totally violent and even the teacher couldn't control them! We fled for our lives!!

Hi Adeline!

Oh... from the look of the website, it sure does look like a wellness cafe! Oh my, I can understand where the $$$ is going into. My gynae is from Gleneagles, Peter Chew. Another famous fellow with long queues. I don't particularly recommend him. But personally, I prefer older male docs coz women gynae always give unsympathetic looks like, "C'mon, whom are you kidding with? DOes that really hurt?", when they administer a pap smear test. Maybe it's my bad luck that I never found a good female gynae.

Guess he must be all up to playing Scrabble (regular one) now that he's a fluent reader. That would be spelling, vocabulary, Maths and strategy learning all in one.

Have you ever tried doing Madlibs with him? I think he's one who will enjoy it. And at the same time, word recognition/reproduction will no longer be confined to just spelling.
happy.gif

Bet B and RK are now very happy to have found each other. It's not every day when one meets another 5 year-old who shares the same palate for reading and is thus mature enough for intellectual exchange.

...(continuation from the previous post)... so we ended up paying $100 for a box of Lego technics from which he learnt how to use gears in his robot building, and we saved a bunch of $$ not going to class! :). He's not super at the gears bit, but he's a lot happier. Everything else can take time!

Serenade, I wished I held him back to discuss. Will remember that, tks!

Hi Serena!

I still am a Buona Vista girl. I lived there for almost 2.5 decades of my life!!!! STill my dream home!

Does mommy practise favouritism? Hmmm, think my kids might be able to answer that question better! Haha!
You see, I will claim that I don't. But they will always perceive it otherwise. Little things to them mean a great deal, e.g. who's taking the vitamins first today. I could be giving the older one first today and then the younger one first tomorrow, but the order doesn't mean anything, it does not affect how much I love them.

Let's not confuse attention with love here.

But if you mean to favour a gender more than the other, no. I don't practise that. Boys and girls are equal, just the way I was brought up.

Hi K's mom,

Tks for the suggestions - will certainly try now that I have the time. I haven't really done much with my son because I was working through most of January and am technically on gardening leave right now.

Yes it's really funny how B and RK get along so well. It's great too, because both of them are chatting so much, they'll eventually learn they need to take turns to keep quiet or each will not be heard by the other!

Hi Adeline!

I recently met a Y2003 kid. Perhaps the youngest of this lot. He'll only turn 5 in december.

What really struck me was that he would make eye contact with you (children/adults alike, but I must say that adults do notice while children most of the time do not respond to him in that way, sadly) and then he would announce that he would like to say something to that subject.

Isn't that wonderful?
He doesn't talk with his mouth full. He'll signal to you that he'll take after he's swallowed his food.

I have never seen that kind of manners demonstrated by a kid of the same age.

Gee, I told myself, I'd like that for my children. So when the mom asks us for playdates, I say yes!!! Yes!

O yes, this kid has a gift of the gab. He loves to talk too.

Btw, leave for gardening? What's that?

Hi K's mom, funny you mention eye contact. I've been noticing alot of that, or rather the lack of it. I can't understand. These are my friends kids whom my son grew up with. They're otherwise bright and cheery kids, but they're not keen to make conversation with adults and children alike. Although they do chat of course. I'm not describing this well. But do you see what I mean?

Do any of you moms feel/see it too?

Oh, gardening leave. When you are legally bound not to join another competitor in the interim period. Your company pays you for that time (nice!)

Hi Adeline!
Apparently, I haven't quite left school enough to know what it's like to be working for a competing firm. But how nice that you get paid. The last I heard from a friend who was retrenched during the down time, he was given a compensation, but bounded by an agreement that he would not work for a competitor for 3 years! Dun think his compensation was good enough to last that long.

So the kids do chat. Then how so is the eye contact lacking? Hmmm, do you mean to say that they talk but not speak? Or are they talking past each other when they are chatting?

I think most normal kids do make eye contact with the person they are talking with. What I meant with that very well-mannered boy is that he waits for his turn and he signals for a chance to talk by eye contact. That to me is rare. Or maybe I should say, he can interrupt one's attention with finesse. His body language is way beyond his actual age. So am hoping his good manners rub off on my children.
happy.gif

K's mom, i'm not expressing myself clearly. But the kid you spoke about certainly sounds very well mannered and mature for his age. Most of all, he sounds like he's really good at reading facial and body language cues - these are cues that people learn with experience and certainly rare for someone as young as 4! Are you in Singapore?

Hi Serenade,

I am refering to the LR website one. So shd be in US$, but isnt that cheap as compare to other sets listed there?

I only got to know Lego has motorised stuff recently while shopping at OG. I have never seen them in Toy R Us, or other major retailers. When I am telling dh on GGG as well as lego motorised range, he told me the lego motorised range are very expensive.

I cant compare the two types at the moment since I have not really seen them close up. At least I know i hv a choice now.

Thks worry mum for the info.

Serenade and Adeline, how does your kids read? Do they read every single word or do they skip a few lines then continues? I realise my girl is doing that. I'm not sure if that's correct. She tells me she skip words and that got me worried. Also, I showed her the spiderwick books but she's not very keen.

Hi Serena,

Haha, I was just grousing to Adeline on how B skips unfamiliar words when he reads alone.

Whenever I'm around, B will read aloud without missing any lines or words. He will even attempt to read unfamiliar words. However, if he is on his own reading the book for the first time, he will just skip the unfamiliar words. I suppose he speed reads and just wants to know how the story goes. That's why I let him read the book by himself silently first, followed by reading together the second time.

Perhaps the Spiderwick Chronicles appeal more to boys than girls?

Hi Serena,

I've learnt there are are books for girls and then there are books for boys. They really like different things. Spiderwick is a boy boy book! What about Mrs Piggle Wiggle, Amelia Bedelia or Pippi Longstocking? I think it may appeal to girls. If I hear about books that my friend's daughter likes, I'll pass on the titles.

My son guesses at hard words even now but he'll generally read everything. If the meaning doesn't fit the context, he'll come to me to ask. When he first started, he'd skip the word entirely and after a while come over to ask me to read the rest of the book to him. He still does this actually, but it's getting less frequent. I oblige because I want him to think reading is fun and stressless.

About skipping lines - it happens. I think it's because their eyes are not trained to move accurately and quickly to the next line. I catch it when he reads to me, but think this could be a matter of time and practice.

Serena, I just remembered Judy Blume (author). She has a range for different ages but they really appeal to girls. These are books that Serenade's and my son will just keel over and fall asleep, I think :).

hi worrymum,

i've just been informed there's a free trial for the yamaha music class tomorrow at yew tee cc (02-06) at 7.30pm. check if out if you are interested.

Thanks for the recom on the books Adeline. I know Judy Blume. The thing is I feel that she don't really know what are her likes and dislikes on books yet. So, I try to expose her to all kinds of books regardless of whether is it for boys or girls. I even bought her toy cars, truck and train when she was younger. I think it's her personality. She's the impatient sort which is why she can never seat still and complete her homework. That's why I need to bribe her with snacks and junk food. She's probably skipping words because she's impatient. She will ask me the meaning of unfamiliar words. She won't guess, why? Because she's too impatient! She prefers to get the answer straight from me than waste time figuring out. I have been thinking about it and have drawn this conclusion. Another reason could be she finds the books too difficult? How do you ascertain whether they understand what they're reading?

Hi Adeline ... your boy certainly sounds matured for his age too. You have another younger girl? You homeschool too, like Serenade?

Mine can't read as well and I know he's only recognizing the sight words. I'm getting frustrated because it's coming to 3 months this year and there's nothing done much about the phonics program in school. I've tried and he's willing to learn but he's not very willing to put the word together. Ben's classmate can read very well .... hm, I shall go and find out how good she is with spelling and putting words together :>

K's mom, I was with Dr Tanny Chan at Gleneagles. She's the nicest lady gynae one can ever ever ever have. I was shopping for a gynae and Dr Peter Chew was recommended. You had to carry a stopwatch in the later part of pregnancy right? I couldn't get myself to step into a male gynae's clinic, so I've never consulted him before :> ... I guess when you found a gynae that you love, you'll sing praises of him/her, but when you've got those that you don't like, nothing anyone else said would ever change your mind.

Hi Serena,

Do you point at the words with your finger as you read to A? I have been doing that with my kids since day 1. It became natural for B to point at the words as he read in the beginning. (That's what C is doing currently.) But now, he reads well without having to point at the words.

He doesn't ask me for the meaning of unfamiliar words unless he couldn't comphrehend them based on the context he's reading. I presume he'll stop reading the book if he couldn't understand what he's reading.

There are 2 things i do with B - narration & discussion. Through narration, I'll know his level of comphrehension. On the other hand, discussion allows for deeper understanding of the story. That is why our reading is spread over days. Sometimes, he'll spontaneously share with me what he read . And that's how I know he's reading with understanding.

Serena, i sympathize with you. My son is like your daughter (and like me too!) - impatient. The good thing is, when she does know how to read, she won't ask you anymore - she'll be too impatient and can't wait to do it for herself! Some books are definitely too tough. We lucked out on Spiderwwick because, while it seems like an older boy's book, the language is simple in bk 1, and then progressively harder by bk 5. For example, The Series of Unfortunate Events starts out tough and stays that way throughout the series.

Here are a few reading tests you can try on your daughter to ascertain reading level.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm

Our own experience is that even if your child can read at, say, age 9 (or grade 3) level, she may not want to pick up an age 9 level book to read. This is because she may not have the vocabulary or the contextual experience. All this takes time and lots of reading to build. You'll know she's "getting it" when she's willing to pick up books to read and you can see her engrossed in it. I'll discuss it with him too every now and then. Even then, I think my son will understand more of Spiderwick when he reads it again at a later age than now. So take your time and enjoy the process!

Hi Adeline,

I share the same thought too. Some of the books might be too tough for B now. He would probably understand them better at a later age. For instance, we started on Charlotte's Web early last year. He would read it but I could detect his disinterest in the book. But now, he enjoys the book greatly. Again, I believe he would experience a different level of understanding with time.

Pardon me but grade 1-6 is equivalent to what age group in Singapore? or what primary level? Think I'll go test my girl.

Serenade. my girl don't like me to point at words. She thinks it's unnecessary which I cannot understand why. She will say, "Mummy, no need to point!" again I can feel she's impatient. I tried asking her questions on what she has read much like conducting comprehension, questions and answers. She is able to answer only after looking for the answer in the book. If she had understand what she read then there's no need for her scroll down for answer, right? Don't know, think tonight I'll go ask her to do the test that Adeline posted.

Hi Ky, I only have 1 kid. Wish I had more, sigh. Yes I pulled him out of school in January and have started to homeschool him. I only got serious about educating my son around the middle of the year, so I spent much of the time reading up on what the heck I'm supposed to do ;-).

Serena, pointing is a good idea. You can gently hold her hand when she reads, or you can point as she reads to focus her eyes on the words. You might want to continue to point at the words yourself even if she says there's no need and to try to get her attention on the word than on the finger. (There have been many a time I wish I didn't give in to my impatient youngster!!)

About grade levels and ages. The US school year begins in September when the kids are roughly 6.5 yrs. Given that we start our school year in Jan, you can roughly equate Grade 1 to 6.5 yrs to 7.5 yrs. So Grade 9 would mean 8.5 yrs to 9.5 yrs. I normally just use Grade 1 for Pri 1 since their education system is (on all accounts) less rigorous than ours.

Hi Adeline!

Yep, you're right. We are not in Sg at the moment. We live in Germany where most kids are used to rough play and manners of that kind that I described are indeed rare.

But the boy I mentioned has a pretty special parentage. His dad is American, while his mom is Latin American.

How I wish my B would be a fluent reader too. I think the sheer amount of words seem to deter him to pick up reading on his own, although I'm quite certain that he's capable of sounding out the words on his own.

Last year, I did a 5 day work on a simple reader with him. It turned out that he was reading at an astonishing speed, by day 5 he was reading almost 80% of the book on his own. Unfortunately we did not move on very much from there since there were complaints from his teacher that he was getting restless once he completed his work in class. To his teacher, he's already way too much in advance - as we all know what the American system is about, whereas I would consider my son a baby reader, esp with the situation back home.

Anyhow, I was reviewing what we haven't done for ages. You see... I stopped reading to both my kids since the end of summer coz I felt totally burnt out. And the complaints from the teacher were a convenient excuse for me to take a break altogether. His daddy took over for a couple of weeks. And then, there was not much reading done except for the weekly couple of library books. Ok... long digression there.

So we did the Fat Cat Sat on the Mat again. I was pleasantly shocked that he was reading the whole book to me! In fact, my interest was rekindled one night when he picked up the book and he read it to his sister. But he too is an impatient person. So he stopped after a couple of pages with a long sigh of exasperation, as if there were too many pages for him to read.

So as surely as the heated discussion on reading now, we're going to stick to our daily reading routine for a while.

Hi Serena!

I always thought that using the finger to point would slow down the reading speed. But some people claim that even people who speed read point at a spot in a book to help their eyes concentrate so that they won't skip lines.

Anyway, for me it's a conscious effort as I tend to read pretty quickly. I pulled a trick on my son before:
I told him my hands were getting tired from all the pointing when he's reading, so now it's his turn to point and I read. It works! Now we take turns to hold the book and point while the other person reads, 4 pages each.

Hi ky!

Maybe I should go try yr gynae. The queue at Peter Chew's is always so looooooooooong!

Hi Sher!

I was looking at www.deliciousdays.com the other day. Was so tempted to try my hand at making donuts!

For this week's bake sale, I did cupcakes again, nothing unusual. But another sq tin of brownies... baked another for ourselves coz B just couldn't resist helping me... finally I'm ready to climb into bed now... 2am!!!!

Check out delicious days. It's a very pretty food blog by a German couple residing in Munich. Do you also know David Lebovitz? He blogs pretty much on sweets too.

Hi k's mom,
I know what you mean by feeling burnt out ... 2 months in the house and I'm already feeling the strain. You've been doing it a lot longer and unlike you, I only have one. I think I keep saying in my emails to be patient etc, but that's really a reminder to myself. I'm generally get along very well with my son, but behind it all, I'm trying really hard not to be impatient. And that's wearing me down. It's hard to believe that up to December, my work life was so hectic with me running over to China and Taiwan and Korea. Frankly, nothing's harder than being a sahm! I applaud everyone here in this forum. In the past, I could go for a coffee break. Now I can't at all! If it's any incentive, k's mom, it's fabulous that they can read by themselves so it gives you an hour or so of peace!

I wonder if kid's reading is a matter of time and it depends on whether the child has found the subject matter to fire his interest? It sounds like he knows his basics well, but perhaps it's finding reading material that he's interested in enough to carry him through the book? It was Dr Seuss that did the job for us because it was so funny. Try Hop on Pop and Green Eggs and Ham. The Cat in the Hat is great too but a trifle long. My son loves them all.

I understand about managing the school's expectations with the child's pace. I reluctantly decided to quit last year because of this, sigh. He was in his 4th preschool and getting him up the school bus was terrible every morning. He's much happier now that i've pulled him out this year, but I feel we're operating in a vacuum. My husband keeps telling me to get out of the house, but we know that's impossible with Mr Koala clinging on! I can feel that I'm slowly finding a balance, but man it sure is slow!

hi

Read the article today on Genetically modified (GM) food. I'm rather upset that Singapore does not require manufactueres and retailers to label GM food.

I have the right to now what I'm eating and feeding my children.

I would have never bought GM food if I knew........

really upset

Hi all

I am back from Genting. Kai has alot of fun at the indoor theme park.

Think it is time to settle down with some serious work schedule so probably will not be here so frequent. Need more discipline to homeschool Kai, think we are too laxed.

And all the ladies who are going for Yakult Factory Visit, please mark it on your calendar. Will give all a reminder nearer to date.

Welcome to our thread Adeline. Agree with you wholeheartedly that sahm is the hardest job in the whole world, esp when you are sick. I've been down with a bad flu and could not even get away to see the Dr till 3 days later. And I'm a mother of 3 by the way.

All these talk about reading. Seems like JK is very much behind compared to most kids in this forum but it also seems that the kindergarten in Singapore is not as advanced as what K's mom thinks. He's just starting to pick out the letter sounds from school this year. As for sight reading, he seems to forget them once the words are out of the context he is familiar with. Example - he recognises some words from his sch's readers but if I write the words elsewhere and in a sentence that is different from his readers, he would become totally lost.

Recently, a so-called "Read in a week" programme came to the RC near our house. I attended the preview tonight and the teacher claimed that the kids would be able to read 500 words by June if we start now. She could guarantee that they would be able to read story books before the end of the year. I have my reservations of such "guarantee". Any kids here tried such a programme before?

Conversely, JK seems stronger in Chinese though we speak more English now. The Chinese words he recognises could be taken out of context and he will still be able to pick them up. I realised that it's not really because he is stronger at Chinese but the fact that Chinese words are like symbols and he's very good with symbols and logos.

Anyone heard about growing pains? JK has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming in pain. He claims that the pain from his right knee is intolerable and he would cry very badly and take a long time to fall back into sleep. Initially I thought he had a nightmare but this has repeated and each time he would point to the same spot. When I mentioned this to my neighbour, she said that's how kids grow up. Their bones and muscles would stretch and in the process some may feel the pain. Sounds incredulous to me but I really do not know whether I should just leave this alone. If I were to bring him to a dr, I don't even know whom to consult - GP, bone specialist or TCM practitioner?

Is it really harder to be SAHM or those working mums ? Work need to manage both , ie work and home... but recently I start to feel that it is really not easy for me. Perhaps I am really not a strong woman. I am feeling quite frustrated abt having to take care of 2 kids, as well as a hubby. Furthermore, dh hurt his wrist and he could get grouchy with 2 noisy kids. Sometimes i really wish i fall sick and just lie on bed waiting to be serve...

Hi K's mom,

Am tired now, will look at website tmr. Thanks for the link. DH just went for a day surgery today and i m at the hospital from 9am till 7pm. Cant resist to login to see you guys "chat" thou.

It has been a long time since i baked, so y'day made custard puff (chk out my blog).As for donut, since the last cakey tasting donut, i dare not try again. I hope to get the real donut texture recipe before attempting again.

ok tired. chat tmr.

Hi Meilan, I found this on the Mayo Clinic website. No harm seeing a GP though, I would imagine. Hope it's nothing serious.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growing-pains/DS00888

Sherlyn and Meilan, yes very much harder to be a SAHM. I did the dual Supermom thing where I tried to juggle work and family. But I ended up shortchanging my kid. I just wasn't around! Now that I'm at home and my hubby does his once a month trips, I'm startled by how frequent it is. When you're the one doing the traveling, you don't realize how frequent it is because you're always preoccupied. I'm just glad to be able to SAH. :). I used to believe (needed to believe) in the myth of "quality time". I now realize there's only time, and we only have 24hrs of it everyday.

Hi Meilan!

I heard about growing pains once. But whether JK's situation warrants medical care is something you might like to find out from this website: http://www.distanthealer.co.uk/growingpains.htm

Maybe the reading programmes vary from kindergarten to kindergarten?

Hope you're better now!

Yep the most terrible thing about being a SAHM is not having any sick leave at all. Take gd care of yourself.

Back