(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

hi priscilla,

im keen on both the yakult & gardenia tour. esp during the mar hols. do PM me if you are organising one. tks much
happy.gif

Hi Smurf16

There is no more vacancy for Yakult trip. I am just organising it for my boy.

The availability of the date depending on the Yakult Factory and Gardenia Factory which is beyond our control.

Maybe you could contact them and organise one.

Dear all

For Gardenia Factory, it is like we need to book 3 months in advance. I may not be in town then as we might be relocating, till we can complete that we will be staying put in Singapore then I will do the booking.

Apricot, any discount for BP of Mathstart, do let me know.

Worry_mum, very tempting right haahaa, Kai has alot of fun and laughters using those we borrowed from the library.

I am thinking of getting Usborne Starting Point Science (20 books) series to work on Science with Kai.

Serenade, which series are you using for science for your B?

Pris, when do u do things with Kai if he goes to school? Doesn't he take afternoon nap? What time does he wake up and sleep at night?

Any kids here going to school at the mid-day time-slot? How do you manage supplementing at home if your kid does go to the school then?

Pris, been to Gardenia factory before. yummy bread... u should consider getting bus chartered for both factories. They are quite inaccessible.

.ky.

ky

hi! my girl goes to sch at 11.30, for her 12-3.15 class
she takes milk in the morning.
then look at the plants inthe garden
she might want to colour or read
abt 11 she'll take her early lunch.
i think the sch provides snack but how she simply "loves" the chee cheong fun, haha... she used to cal it 'the white stuff'
when her lesson ends granny picks her and give her a snack of snack(pie, sandwich,...prawn croissant is her fav!)
when she gets home she'll play with Kai(who is almost 16mth) then we'll go to the park or just meddle in the garden(she'll do a bit of colouring in between or write a letter-that's when she learns her phonics)
dinner at abt 7
then she'll colour or play
change into pj at 8plus
read
sleeps at 9plus

KY,

Kai does his reading and other homeschooling activities in the morning and after school. He will go to school at 10.45am and reach home at 3.15-3.30pm. Take a snack of milk and bun/egg tart/cake, then we could have homeschooling activities till about 4.30pm and he will take his nap till about 5.30-6.00pm. On Tuesday, he will go for a run at the track, on Wednesday & Friday, we will go for a swim and the other days, he will go for cycling and playground. Return home, have dinner and then play for a while, In between, he may watch a DVD. Then, we will do alot of reading, colouring practice and writing. At 9pm, he will clean up, get ready to read before bed time at about 9.45-10pm depending how many books he wants to read for the night.

Planning to sign him up for 1 to 1 music lesson which I am still waiting for the quotation on a weekday evening.

Do not plan to charter bus, as all the people coming from different district, so it is best to catch a taxi in.

Personally, I have been to the two factories before. So I think it is not a problem to call cab for just a day. It is not cheap to charter a bus and I think the last time a friend did, it came up to like $5 per head count which child also has to pay $5.

Hi K's mom,
We got the Reading Rods pack direct from the US. After factoring the shipping charges, it was still a better bargain than from Sept21.

Hi Pris,
Science as in conducting experiments? We have no fixed curriculum in this area yet. At the moment, non-fiction books are our main staple for science and general knowledge. But I'm thinking of more regular trips to the Science Centre, Discovery Centres and the likes to supplement whatever is lacking.

Hi priscilla, missed the yakult factory too! Was actually looking out for these visits organised by cc which usually provide transport plus other factories / farms in the vicinity. Have fun!

Jan, have been to the ones organised from RC, I think it is more for people to go and buy the things. Maybe it is different now from those I used to go with my cousin.

I prefer the one factory by one factory so that the children are not wear out at the end of the day.

Yo! Kristin's mom, how come I can't leave any comment in your blog? Do you have a secret code or what? I don't seem to have any problem with other blog.

Boy Pen Pal Wanted :

a well groomed 5 year old girl is looking for suitable candidates to fill the above position. Applicants should have minimum kindergarten 1 qualifications. 3 months of writing experience in related industry. Good interpersonal communication skills. Willing to travel ( to post office). Preferably Singaporean or P.R.

Interested applicants kindly send your resume by sms to Serena from HR dept.

Hi Serenade,
Read from website abt Reading Rod. Was Reading Rod a kind of phonics activity set you bot ? Will u able to share how much you purchase online ?

Hi Apricot,

I got it for US$44.95. Act fast and grab it from Learning Resources if you are interested! They are having a sale at half the original price!

Hi Serena!

Can't really figure out what you mean there.
But if you do submit a comment on a post for my blog, you won't see the comment immediately until I read it and publish it. You see, I moderate comments. ;)

Hi Serenade!
Thanks! I was looking at the stuff on Learning Resources. Lots of good deals there... Think I might google and see if I can find Victoria Readers too. Might get some American moms here to help me order directly from the States and escape the local custom duties.

Oops... looks like I can only get Victoria Readers from you when we're back in Sg.

Serenade. the Spelling Reading Rods that you have is very similar to the one that Kai has been playing to build words, just that ours came with flashcard and not books.

K's mum, that could be a good deal when there is no tax.

K's mom, yes I made a comment and published it but of course it didn't appear. Did you then see my comment?

Hi K's mom,
Ours is the Intermediate Phonics and Word Study pack (not the Spelling pack) that comes with the blends, digraphs and silent e.

Hi Pris,
The set I have doesn't come with books or flashcards, just only the cubes.

Serenade, have u tried ordering directly from Learning Resources in Singapore? The last I know is that LR doesn't ship to Singapore as they've got local distributors and they will request u approach them instead.... also would shipping be expensive. quite heavy set I believe

.ky.

hi ladies

long time din log in here...my elder gal is oct 2003 pre-schooler.

any1 keen to get the september21 phonics book set?? i have one new set to sell at gd price...

Hi ky,

Thanks so much for the update on night safari. I hv forward the feedback to my friend. Anyway, was telling her SG now hot and shd be getting hotter by days just last week and it is raining these few days. Hope it wont rain when they are here mid next week.

oh .. all the talks about enrichment/assessment books ... I hope I get the chance to see them if we ever gather in any mother's home sweet home.

Been very tired, eyes hardly open pass 12 midnight these few nights .. must be old liao, if stay up one night, next few nights will be like zombie.

oh, March holiday coming .. any plans for gatherings?

ky,

JA school is from 1pm to 5pm, so with this awkward time slot, he really does nothing much, accept practice his keyboard on wednesday morning (cos class at night). Occasionally he does some writing in the morning, but mostly its playtime playtime and more playtime. He hates worksheets and would wake up and ask for fun the first thing in the morning. After school and dinner, the daddy usually watch TV, so kids follow or just hv their own playtime or reading of story books if i m free.

anyway, even without school, I don't think i m capable to handle homeschooling (all the mummies did so well here, even Pris who has Kai in school)

Not sure if its because I did not "train or discipline" him since young .. all he does is play all day .. now i wonder if he is able to fit into P1. Quite worried abt this.

Luckily girl and boy different sessions, else the girl would really follow the boy "footsteps" and just play and play non stop.

Sherlyn,

Me is another one whom not capable to handle homeschooling too. Though I train my B when he is young, but after last Dec school holiday, he also just play and play.. he now hate to do homework and worksheets too.. always taking his own sweet time on it! He can only finished the worksheet after much sweet talks, imagine he takes almost 2 days to finish 2 pages of homework as in tracing!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

Oh! Serenade, I so enjoy reading your blog. It's so informative and I feel that I could pick up a few tips here and there. What was your job before you became a housewife? Teacher? Trainer? Discipline mistress? Haa.. kidding. Seriously, I have this habit of reading your blog everytime I log on. So gracious of you to share what you've done with the kids. 1 thing though, haven't seen anything on chinese.

Worry mum, dont't despair. My girl has problem completing her worksheets too. Yes and it's only tracing. My girl likes to negotiate with me on the amount of work she does each time and that's only school homework!! Yes, I bribe her with sweets and snacks too. So you're not alone.

Hi Sarah, Lena, Serena, K'mom, Serenade, Priscilla, Chloe, Ky,Worry mum, Joanne, Sherlyn, Meilan,
I have PM you gals regarding BP on Mathstart. Pls take a look
happy.gif
Thanks
happy.gif

Hi Serena!

The last I checked, I didn't find any comments for me. Usually, when someone leaves a comment for me, I will be alerted through my email. Maybe you wanna add in the comment again.

Hi Serenade!
I'm getting the Spelling set. It's a great deal right now. Anyhow, I just wanna spell words with B right now. Btw, did I tell you we had so much fun the other day spelling words through the cheerleader style? You know... "Give me a ...!" etc! "And what did we spell?"

Hi Pris!
Yep that was the price. No more taxes but additional shipping and handling charges. Still reasonable within the US. Good deal, isn't it?
There are those with flashcards too.

Hi Apricot!
Thanks for the offer... sounds tempting, but we're not in Sg now. So if you're doing another one next year, maybe we'll join you.

Thanks Apricot. I've been having problems with my emails and internet so will sms you if I still don't get connected by end of this week. Just wondering if anyone is using M1 broadband. It really sucks!

No internet for the past few days actually allowed me to catch up with some reading. Like to recommend Mitch Albom's For One More Day. It's about a man who got all the answers and strength from the ghost of his beloved mum when he was at the brink of death after he attempted suicide at the lowest point of his life.

Some lines are still lingering in my mind and I would like to share this -
"..parents, if they love you,will hold you up safely, above their swirling waters, and sometimes that means you'll never know what they endured, and you may treat them unkindly, in a way you otherwise wouldn't."

Glancing through recent postings, it seems that the kids are starting to get homework. I've been wanting to ask cos from this year, JK has been bringing homework back on Wed and Fri. Don't really like the idea that in K1 he already has regular homework though it is always a one-page thing. But the good thing is that I get to see what he's been learning in school rather than wait till end of the term when we get back all the books.

It's been a long time or quite time our kiddos or we mummies meet. Let's take this March holiday for a gathering at Jacob Ballas Children's Garden ? I am working but I am ok to apply leave
happy.gif
Anyone keen ?

Place : Jacob Ballas Children's Garden
Date : 14March 2008, Friday
Time : Morning time
Activity : optional but let's say we want to chose one for our kiddos, shall we chose Children's Treasure Hunt - Suitable for K1 - P2 levels ?
Duration : 1 hour
Fee : $ 8.50 per child (includes $ 2.50 "Sara, the forgetful dinosaur" workbook)
http://www.sbg.org.sg/education/workshopchi.asp

Attendees :
1) apricot x 1C

Apricot, Thanks for the info.

Infact I just purchase 1 book from the "Sage Formula" set. I like this book cos it is basic enough to start with and the pictures are separated from the words. Furthermore, it has hanyu pinyin as well as chinese and english. It even has strokes, but I did not verify the accuracy.

I intend to get the rest of the set. :)

Worry mum and Serena,

Looks like we might be in the same boat. Maybe I shd just wish he outgrow this phase? I wouldnt want to "bribe" him with more goodies since i m using bribery for almost any occasions. I just give stickers.

Cindy dear, I added my comments 2 times. Check it out. If you still don't see it, mayb I'm not doing it right.

Sherlyn, I know bribe is illegal but no choice she's not keen in stickers anymore. I thought since she's so underweight, then having snacks could help. Regarding learning chinese, does he know how to 造句? Mine is totally clueless.

Hi ky,
I ordered directly from the US site and shipped via comgateway. Ended with a better deal b'cos some of the items I bought were on clearance sale. So, on average, I still save quite a fair bit. The Reading Rods pack isn't very heavy. But the plastic box came with some cracks.

Hi Serena,
Thanks for the compliment. Hmm, maybe it's a good idea to start charging traffic to my blog, haha... Just joking.

We are still working on conversational skills for Chinese. The other mommies are in a better position to share on teaching Chinese. Try Priscilla, apricot and worrymum. Hannah's chinese is pretty good too.

Hi K'mom,
Looks like you will be getting hours of fun with the Spelling pack!

Hi Sheryln,
What I did was to award their work with stickers and stamps upon completion too.

Hi Apriot,
Sorry, I can't make it on Friday.

Hi Apricot,
Would love to, but Friday's out for me.
I can only take leave on tue or wed next week.

One question on Mathstart, is the usual price $135 below or after 10% discount for member?

Hi Serenade,
Yeah, I do enjoy reading your blog too, and KY & K's mom as well. I'm always impressed at the stuffs that you ladies do with your kiddos.

Hi Chloe,
$135 is already a discounted price for members & non members and we cannot use 10% discount for member.

Hi Serena!

I really have no idea why the comments are not being registered. Still, I don't get any email alerts nor any unmoderated comments on the dashboard of my blog.

My blog does not allow anonymous comments, so you've gotta sign in with a registered account with google.

See if there's anything else you need to fill out to comment.

Hi Serenade!
Yay, my orders with Learning Resources are on their way! We're also waiting for our Gears, Gears, Gears set.

Hi K's mom,
Received my Gears!Gears!Gears! yesterday
happy.gif
Which set did you get? I have got the M.Gears Motorized Buliding set. Quality doens't look as bad as what I read on amazon. Am keeping it for this weekend!

K's mum & Serenade, I was so tempted to get the Gears Gears Gears when I was checking the Learning Resources. Let me know is it worth buying after you ladies have tried them.

K's mum, thanks for getting your parents to pass me the book. Kai enjoys it.

Talking about blog I do not have time for blogging yet...

I am very impressed by the mummies who are continuing blogging, hope to be able to find more time to blog soon.

Will not be coming in here since our Japanese friends will be here tomorrow till Monday and Tuesday to Friday, we will be away in Malaysia for a short break. We are going to bring them around after Kai's school tomorrow.

Will be bringing our friends to Sentosa (going for underwater world, Music fountain - song of the sea, and other attraction there.), Bird Park, Zoo, IT show, Little India, Chinatown, Botantic Garden, etc. Any other attractions that we should bring them?

Back