(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hi Isabella,
I saw in another thread you asked about Mindchamps.
Are you still interested in Mindchamps? Actually, mindchamps has classes for preschool but the classes are full until end yr 2009. If any of you are still interested in going down to take a look and reserve a place for your child, let me know & I can forward you the contact. The other programs are for P1 to tertiary level and they focus on 3 mindsets (champion mindset, learning mindset & creative mindset). They teach techniques to tap on the child's mind so that he/she can excel in the studies. I was told that Schichida is more of flash cards. One of my friends spent $$ on Schchida for his son but it didn't work for him. Let me know if you are interested in Mindchamps as my niece has enrolled in mindchamps. I can provide more details to you.

Mummies
Need some advice on this: My DS #1 have been this cough every night for about a year or so.. We have been to the Dr a few times, and to quite a few Drs too. The cough will subside for a while after he took the medicine but will come back after we finish the medicine.

Mummies,
What can I do to stop hid cough??? Any Drs good in this field to recommend??

Hi Isabella,

does he sleep in an air-con environment?
does his cough have phlegm?
do you always doctor hop after each medication?

I know my kids always end up with a cough with an "overdose" of grapes. Think some old folks would say some fruits are too "liang" (cold). for my kids, it's grapes, while it could be something else for your son.

There could be many reasons... I think it's best to seek out professional advice there.

hi mummies,

Does your kid wear a pair of pants and didn't know it's worn the other way round till you point out to him.. moreover it's the school pants that he wear everyday?

Does your kid not wash his hands after using the toilet, and still tells u he does when asked? And how do you drill the concept of hygiene to him, esp when after times that he do that, he doesn't fall sick, and so using that reason doesn't work with him ...

.ky.

Hi Isabella,
My son used to have cough and I followed a method I saw in the internet (can't remmeber where).

Before he sleeps at night, apply some Vicks / Cherry Chest rub on his sole and let him wear socks. The cough will go off eventually....within 1 ~ 2 days for his case...depending on how serious was the cough..

I think it's more effective than taking cough med...
happy.gif

Hi hi

My boy is 5yrs old and have been having a blocked nose for the past 1 mth. Brought him to PD & chinese doc but still like that. Every nite is med and cherry chest rub. I've also used Karvol but it didn't helped too. Any one has similar encounter?

Thanks

K's mom
Most of the time as he's sleeping with my im laws.. They on the air con... If he's sleeping with me, den will only be fan.. But he also cough when he sleeps with me..

Hi Isabella!

If he doesn't have phlegm, it could be too dry for him to be sleeping in aircon room. Or too cold? you mentioned he coughs too even when he sleeps in a room with a fan on. Try switching it off in the middle of the night (Set timer?).

What my mom recommends is to boil red dates, honey dates and black dates with water. And drink it warm. It always works for me to stay off that scratchy cough.

I think TCM calls it too "liang"/cold to be coughing at night without phlegm, right?

Hi May!
You tried saline nose drops for him?

Hi May,

Saline nose drops are different from the nasal decongestant. Try looking out for for this brand Sterimar Nasal Hygiene in Guardian Pharmacy. It's a physiological sea water microspray which has been excellent for clearing mucus from my kids' blocked and stuffy noses.

Btw, could your kid be having a nose allergy? My gal was diagnosed as having a nose allergy and was prescribed Aerius Syrup.

Hi Isabel,

My kids also had a bad bout of cough that won't go away recently. But after we tried Comvita Children's Natural Cough Elixir, the situation has improved drastically.

Btw, does he only cough in the nights? If so, k's mom suggestions will help improve the condition. Alternatively, place a cup of water near his bed. The cup of water will provide some moisture. For us, we use the humidifier whenever the air conditioner is turned on.

We brought him to PD last few days, the Dr said that most probably due to allergy. So he advice us to exercise allergy management. Then he prescribe some Ventolin and Singulair for him... Gotta go back for review next month...

At the mean time, I also tried some methods that other mummies taught me.. Hope that the cough will go away soon...

Thanks Serenade, will check out the saline nose drops later
happy.gif

I also suspect my boy is having an allergy, but PD didn't say much leh, only gave him an antihistamine syrup for runny/blocked nose but it didn't work on him. A china teacher from his childcare says it might be 'bi dou' and will take a while for it to go away wor, so sad
sad.gif

Hi Isabella & May,

It takes awhile for the doc to confirm allergy after the usual blocked nose/flu medicines doesn't work.
The cough is usually due to post nasal drips.
So it is always good to practice allergy mgt along w allergy medicines when allergy is suspected. Hopefully the allergy will go away when the kids r older.
For Jx's case, on top of allergy, his xray shows enlarged anenoids in the back of his nose that produce excessive mucus. As we do not want to subject him to an operation, we can only hope his airway will grow wider as he gets older so that anenoids will no longer bother him.

Meanwhie, it's lots of tissue papers, nasal spray & minimize/avoidance of citrus fruits, peanuts, strawberries, bananas, artificial colourings (jellies, sweets),ice cream, cold drinks, dustmites & sudden change of temperature whenever we can.

We only give cough mixture & blocked nose medicine when things r really bad. He had been on Singulair tablets & allergy medicine for the 4 months & we had just stopped them last week to monitor him.

Prior to allergy mgt, we had given him TCM on & off for a year whenever he had a prolong coughing & it did work. However, we find that allergy mgt is solving the heart of the problem.

Hi Ky,

Perhaps u can sew an indicator on the pants to indicate 4 him? But sometimes kids r just blur or simply not paying attention lah.

I always encourage jx to tell the truth even tho it means getting scolding for doing something wrong but he gets praises for being honest. Else he get notti chair for both lying & doing something wrong when discovered.

As for hygiene, he understands abt HFMD as he gotten it b4 & his sch been drilling it to them as well. When possible, I'll supervise his hand-washing to ensure he does it properly too.

Books help to reinforce the right values to kids as well, & set the platform for futher discussions/role-playing on the subjects.

Hi Isabella,

Sorry to pop by here.... I've PM you regarding the Math programme last week. Did you receive it? Please PM me to let me know. Thank you.

Hello all mummies,

I am new to this thread, all our kids are 5 years old..., does your kids go for enrichment programmes or courses to prepare them for P1? Which school and course will you recommend?

Lovekids
I have already replied u when I received ur email... Maybe u can check ur in box again??

Wan wan
For this mindchamp, I think it can wait first... Anyway, thanks for the info~

Joy
I bought him the A star program educational CD Rom.. So far so good... My eldest can differentiate diff sound of the letters after a few times... Quite ok lahx~ But very costly...

Hi Joy

My boy is using the Leapfrog DVDs for phonics. I am also working slowly with him using The Ordinary Parent's Guide to teaching Reading, recommended by Classic Education. My boy can read quite a bit on his own now.

hi hi ... anyone starting to think of holiday programs or camps? pls share. or if anyone's keen to meetup during this period and do something constructive for the 5 yr old, pls share too ... I've got a 2.5 yr old that i've to bring along.

joy, not really preparing my child for p1 but i do send him to various enrichment programmes more for personal enrichment/interest.

a qn, for those who are on yamaha keyboard programme, have u think of what to do when your kid has completed 2 yrs of programme? this is the last week of the term, and for mine, I've got another 1/2 yr to go and just wondering if i should move onto the other next 2 yrs or move onto individual lesson

.ky.

hihi ky ... I am only thinking abt gathering keke, cos we haven had one for a long time ... but I do not have a good venue to offer...

wanted to plan for factory visit to gardenia but got to find their contacts first.

As for the music lesson .. JA only into book 3 and B have completed 1.5 yrs ? I think I have more problem then you do, cos I am thinking if I shd subject myself to another round of Book 1, book 2 .... (my gal is turning 4 liao) .. plus where to go after boy's 2 years.

How abt asking the B's teacher if he shd go into individual ? I am thinking to ask JA's teacher to access if he shd even continue .. no point nurturing if my boy has no "talents" in this area (he is not into frequent practice leh)

Hi Ky,
Could I ask if the yamaha keyboard program any difference from piano program? My son is learning piano for about 6 months and there is so much theory and home practice needed. I thought of changing him to a music school but I've got similar feedback that the duration of learning music at some music schools are quite long. Even a basic course lasts about 2-3 years. Anybody any comments?

Thanks.

Isabella,
No prob. U are welcome.

Welcome Hapi & Joy!!
happy.gif

Joy,
Jx is not in any preparatory course, as we prefer to expose him to non-academic stuff outside regular sch hours.
happy.gif

Hi Ky,
I'm thinking of hol camp for Jx too, as he was quite bored during the june sch hol. That was his 1st long stretch of sch hol, as prior to 2008, he was in full day childcare.

As he had expressed a keen interest on ice-skating when he saw young children skating in an ice-skating rink near our service apt in HK & the summer camps were full, I m considering Skate w Us:
http://www.skate-with-us.com/schoolholidaysingapore.htm
However, I might wait till he is 6yo to sign him up for SkateSports' as I'll prefer a 1-week camp for him as i dont think he can master within 2 days + it includes ice-skating!
happy.gif

http://www.skatesports.com.sg/schoolSchoolies.php

Our nearby cc has a Speech & Drama camp by Magic Moments (never heard of it) & i had received flyer from Han's language on its chinese appreciation camp. Might send him to Han's to boost his interest in Chinese if I can't find anything better.

Wan wan, Sherlyn & Ky,
Jx is abt to start Yamaha Book 2 this thurs, as we had suspended him last term due to our 1-mth stay in HK. 1st thing when we r back in S'pore, he was asking me when he can go back to his music class.

Feedback from friends is that progress of 1-1 pte lesson is definitely much faster than music sch's as there is undivided attention & some customisation. However, Jx was (& i hope still is, in his new class on Thurs) v happy in a class-learning environment & after sitting in the class 2 terms w him, I also learnt something as the teachers were able to teach the theory in v simple to understand way. He had 2 relief teachers then as his teacher was on maternity mid-term, so we were able to assess different teachers' teaching methods. I would say that the 3 different Yamaha teachers r pretty consistent & able to sustain the children's (& parents') interests. So I m confident enough to re-registered him w Yamaha instead of going to a different sch.
If he is able to sustain the interest long enough, we will consider a piano & pte lessons 4 him.

As for whether I'll let Jb go to Yamaha when his time comes (well,he is now only 14mo :b), I won't mind going thru it again if he expresses an interest then.
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

Would love to join this thread. I have 2 gals, age 5 and 2.5. namely Ashley and Megan.

Hi Vamiga and KY,

Pleasant surprise to see you here!
happy.gif

I am also interested in holiday program for Ashley and mayb even Megan! Kinderland/ Crestar near my mum's place in ampines had some program last June. My neighbour sign up for the 1/2 day (for 3 days) course. One day field trip to the zoo, other day the children do some baking etc.... At least something to keep them occupied.
happy.gif

Hi Sherlyn ... tx for the advice. have just spoken to the teacher and got her feedback... she said that individual 1-1 lesson is more taxing on the child as it involves more playing and less singing. And I'll support B on what he prefers, n there's no point doing the switch if he enjoys the class now (which he does).

btw, some of u know that we are not in Yamaha but a programme similar to Yamaha at the CC, and she said after completing the first 2 years, the next 2 years does not need parent sit-in :>, but it's definitely tougher and it requires practise and best to have an Electone at home. She just told us that for book 4, content's very heavy and last week, we spend 1/2 hr just learning 1 new chord, and putting it into a new song (which is from book 4) and all these takes 2-3 lessons in the past. We may not get her as a teacher for the next level as the formation of the class will depend if they get the number of student and a different teacher may be assigned ... and I really like her, so I asked her if she does do 1-to-1 piano which she does.

A neighbour is doing the same to her 5 yr old son the same that she did for her 15 yr old dd. I'll probably ask her how she did the switch. Well, so much to consider, and I think I'll have a better idea in 3 months' time ...

but Sherlyn, think I'll do the same with K. This little fellow's been la-ing and so-ing everywhere now coz the kor-kor does a lot of that these days ...

.ky.

hi jpooh ... after hearing u for a yr on the MYMCA hol programmes, may see if can join this year :->

hi yuki, nice to see u here too. joined some short hol prog at cc in jun too. just some simple stuff ...

hi vamiga ... have trial with skate-with-us before. pretty good actually but just that we didn't wanna do so many enrichments. too bad the place for the camp is on the other side of the island or that can be consider. For beginners, they'll focus on safety and basic moves. My son could move after trial.

Sherlyn, u do baking lah ... then I'll bring the kids along :>

.ky.

Hi Vamiga,

Thanks for the info. My son also like the lessons very much .. when I threaten to stop his lessons (because he don't practice) he cry.

KY, I know all lessons get more difficult as they progress so I am really worried for JA cos he don't practice but want to continue the lessons. *sigh* As for my gal, she also sing and action along with Kor Kor but I really sian abt having to spent so much money again .. thinking of "teaching" her what I have learnt and then move them to individual later, but so far, cant find the time to really sit and "teach" her.

KY, baking where? think serena will be able to do a better job, perhaps even K's mom.. me, not there yet. keke.

Sherlyn ... look for the cc then. it's 50% of Yamaha's. A pair of sisters, aged 7 and 6 yrs old did together and the older could start at the next level but the mum wanted to do both at the same time ... perhaps u can look into that?

I think for baking with kids, it's just something simple and interactive for them to get involved, and not anything fanciful. I hope to do more of that during school hols since I don't have to rush one out to school then

.ky.

ky
I subscribe to mumcentre newsletter, they have quite a few of those holiday camps and programme... Maybe you wanna take a look???

Vamiga,
Thanks for your sharing.

Hi Mommies,
Sori for interrupting. I am new to this thread & realise I din intro myself. i've 2 boys age 5 & 6. I hope to join this thread to learn & share but i'm not a v active person tho.

Thanks!

Yuki!!!!!!
happy.gif

Hi Wan wan,
Your boys' gap is so small!
Must b v tough on u when they r younger.

Hi Sherlyn,
Jx will also protest & even cry if i threaten not to bring him to Yamaha.
We just been to the 1st lesson this week & i was pleasantly surprised that there is only 6 students in the new class.
happy.gif

Perhaps due to its unpopular time slot. The teacher is quite good & patient too. However, Jx is v rusty after a 3-mth break. :b

Hi Vamiga,

I was very fortunate to have my mother to take good care of my sons since birth while I was working, & with a domestic helper. I am also fortunate that my sons did not give too much 'trouble' to us when they were younger. Even tho I had my mum & helper then, my husband & I took over the nurturing once we reached home. My sons have learnt to be very independent since young & they started to do simple things like wearing shoes, clear their cups & plates & hang their clothes since they were barely 2 yrs old. I decided to make a drastic career change in order to spend more time with my sons. i've no helper now & my mum has gone home to take care of my dad. It took a lot of my energy to give equal attention to both boys in terms of their developmental & daily needs. The close age gap has its plus pts as the boys enjoy each other's company whenever they need a playmate. They learn from each other, esp the younger one who picks up a lot of new learning stuff from the bro. And it wasn't as tough as I thot. I guess it was the love & joy that my sons have given me that keep me going. You will definitely get stronger when you hear your sons say 'mummuy I love' or 'mummy, you are my super mummy!' etc. They have motivated me a lot. And this has reinforced the fact that we should give more encouragement to our kids & motivate them if we want them to do better. The only time I struggled was the 2 yrs when I was involved in some impt projects, needed to work late & rush back to look after them. I am a very hands on mummy & this had kind of created additional stress on me. It is really tough for working mothers to juggle work & family needs. But it was indeed a gd choice for me to make a career change to give priority to my children. No regrets, very rewarding & i'm still very involved in their daily needs.

What abt u? how many kids do u have & are u a FT mummy?

Hi Wan Wan,

I have 2 boys & I just stopped working a year ago.
happy.gif

Jx is 5yo & Jb is 14mo.
Quite a big gap bcos initially I was thinking of stopping at 1 & it's w lots of encouragement fr friends & upon Jx's request that we decided to try for #2.
For the 1st 2 yrs, it was v hectic sending & fetching Jx & my maid to & fro my mum's place every weekday+ lots of maid issues + hubby travelling 50% of the time.
After changing 4 maids in 2 yrs, we decided enough is enough & put Jx in full day childcare instead. However, it was not a satisfactory arrangement either w the high teacher turnover & quality of care going south. Jx was sick half the time too.
So b4 we tried for #2, we decided that I'll be a SAHM when the time comes, so that I can spend more time w the kids. I leave the cooking & housework to my maid.
So far, this arrangement is working fine w me playing w Jb in the a.m. when Jx is in half day PCF & helping Jx w his homework in the p.m. After that, the kids will play together or we will go for a walk in the evenings. While we have to continue to spend below our means, our quality of life is definitely better.
happy.gif

When u mentioned a drastic career change, does that mean u r still working, but as ur own boss or something?

Hi wan wan, I have 2 kids age 5 and 6 too, a boy and gal though the gal is the terror. heeehe! Been very bz with work plus the 'stress' of p1 preparation for korkor. They grow so fast...

Hi Vamiga,
We seem to be caught in a similar situation like many working mothers. I also had helper issues in the past so decided to do away with her. So now I am the PT helper...ha ha! Both my boys are now in childcare cos we din want to disrupt their learning. When the elder one goes P1 next yr, my 2nd one will be gg to one of the PCF next to my blk. I will be very busy next yr bring both boys to school at different time cos the korkor is pm session and didi is am session. Also thinking of studying PT for a master program which is starting in Dec 08. Will be doubly bz...

I am now working free lance from home. So quite flexi. When i work harder, I've more income & work lesser, lesser income...maybe next yr will earn even lesser since both boys will be occupying my time and plus time needed for my study...

Hi Jan,
So our kids are of the same age
happy.gif
How do you find coping with 2 children of only 1 yr gap? You are working, it must be quite stressful for you. Many parents said their 2nd one is usually more playful & active. My 2nd one is no exception. U said preparing your elder one for P1, can share...do you mean preparing him academically? Which school is he gg?

BTW, any good school bag to recommend for P1 students? I am looking for 1 gd 1 but not too exp for my elder one.

Hi wan wan, didn't know how I managed to cope with one newborn and toddler then! u know what i mean. As usual, not enough time as I would like to spend with them. Both are active but my younger gal is the aggressive one.

nah, not academically. More like prep him mentally and emotionally. Just letting him read more and start a diary. He's going to a neighbourhood school where half his K2 friends will be there..heeheeh. What about your boy? Also looking around for bag. Plan to bring him shopping in Dec for bag, shoes, etc.

Wan wan
there's a type of school bag call ergonomic school bag.. But it's quite costly... Cost about $70 - $130.. Roughly about this price range..

Hi Jan,
I know what U mean, I also dun know how I managed to bring up the 2 boys like not much problem but I am sure there were many ups & downs yeah. I like your idea of starting a diary. Maybe I should get my elder boy to start a diary too. Like U, i've also started to prep him for P1 like talking to him about the life in P1, recess time, friends & expectation from teachers etc. He will be taking sch bus as the sch is not in our neighbourhood. I've also started to let him do some P1 maths & english to gauge his standard & get him to get use of the kind of sch work he will be gg thru.

We din register him to the better neighbourhood schs as they are v popular and needs balloting every yr. HB & I din want to go thru the stress & worries of balloting. So registered him in my old sch & we are lucky cos we are at Phase 2A so no balloting. And gd thing is that 1 of his K2 gd friend is also gg to the same sch so he is quite happy. Anyway, we intend to move to that town & this will cut down on my boy's travelling time. My boy's orientation is in nov, i'm also looking forward to go shopping with him to get those stuff.

Hi Isabella,
Yeah, I've heard of this bag & like U said it's quite costly and not sure if it's comfortable for little children...

Hi Mommies

Anybody interested to buy the below pair of tickets at a low price? I need to travel that week so have to give up the tickets.

Show : ACT 3 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar & other Eric Carle Favourites (Suitable for 3 to 6 kids)
Date : 17 Nov 2008, Monday
Time : 10:00am
Theatre : Victoria Theatre
No of tickets : 2
Seats Location - Stall seating K13-14
Buying Price - $21.25 per ticket (after OCBC discount) + $6.00 sistic handling fees. Total: $48.50
Selling Price - $45.00

Please private message me if you are interested.

Feel free to visit the below web to preview the show.

http://www.act3international.com.sg/theatre_ericcarle2008.htm

Thanks
Rosella

Back