(2002) Any 2002 babies?

beb75
Im aso sending my gal to MPM at CCK tmrw for a diagnostic test. wow, yr gals schl can allow kids to bring toys to schl. My gal no mention abt bringing toys to schl. As usual, shes having the usual lessons & tmrw all P1 classes gg to Botanic Gardens.

Wow all this talk about enrichment centres really stress me out leh! My husb wanted to find some English enrichment for my girl but I told him dont stress her lah, since she got a Band1 for her SA. Am I too laxed? My nieces attended LW at PV before. And I can only bring her on weekends as no tpt on weekdays.

Littleprincesses, I think watching Ch8 dramas help in their Chinese, LOL. But my girl still speak funny mandarin, just translate from English type.

Bebe I dunno what my girl doing in school now leh, haha... She just told me the PE lesson was extended from 1:30 to 1:45.

Btw I was quite happy yest when my girl finally figured out 100 cents = $1. Had been teaching her quite some time but she looked so sotong. THen suddenly yesterday she understood liao haha... Money is in the next term Math's syllabus I think so better get her right now.

luanee,
i am also stress reading all the talks about enrichment. although my boy did pretty well, but his is a neighbourhood school and i am certain that the standard is pretty much lower as compared to the more 'elite' ones. on one hand, i don't want to be complacent, but on the other hand, wonder how he'll feel if i told him he need enrichment when he is already in band 1.

Joanne
Good for you, so the children can have a great time at the garden.

luanee & fz
sch continues teaching maths, now move on to weight Maths 1B workbook part 1. I have completed graph with him over the weekends. Have started 2 & 3 times table. He can grasp the concept but not really memorising the answers. Last night did 2 grammar cloze. Can see he struggled but tried very hard.

luanee - told my hubby to cancel playhouse channel but he says that's the only channel that is 'safe' for my girls to watch.. With playhouse, my girls will not turn to other channels. Think if they ever watched channel 8, we must watch with them to explain/censor certain scene..

T_totto : I hv requested for them to start a class but the lady mentioned that it's not possible coz the teacher has no other day to spare... Unless they hv a new teacher to start a class..

Littleprincessses, u are rite. I rem one time my girl was watching Ch8 with me and she asked me what is a 'virgin' when she saw it in the subtitles. Hiaz...

Caroline, u very koot-lat leh... I never do any Maths revision with my girl except during the pre-SA period... u make me feel so guilty... sigh...

ha Luanee, I also feel the same way leh.
All the holiday program seems to relate to work. My gal will tell me holiday is for play...I will have a hard time to get her do some revision... sigh...
The school actually continues into term 3 work. They are now into picture graphs for math liao.

My girl also has no enrichment classes leh..hmm.. not sure if I should.. Also have to factor in cost (expensive!)Right now, she has music on one weekday and ballet as CCA in school only and I find that it is quite tiring already... how do your kids cope? Really salute to the mummies who are doing so much.. and your kids too! who are so willing... I dun think I can move my girl's butt.

Hi mummies, just received news that H1N1 had arrived SIN, so be careful!

Below info extracted fm some news!
------------------------------------
SINGAPORE: Singapore has confirmed its first case of Influenza A (H1N1).

The patient is currently being treated at the Communicable Disease Centre at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) and is in stable condition.

The patient is a 22-year-old Singaporean woman who was in New York from May 14-24. She arrived back in Singapore from New York on SQ25 on 26 May at 6.30am.

She began to develop a cough while onboard. She passed the thermal scanner uneventfully as she did not have fever then. Later in the morning, she consulted a GP who decided to send her to TTSH via a 993 ambulance, given her travel history.

She was immediately admitted for testing. Laboratory confirmation of her infection was made by midnight of 26 May. The patient has been vigilant in monitoring her own condition and had sought immediate medical attention once she realized that she was unwell.

Her attending GP, through his quick response in activating the 993 ambulance for the patient, had also helped to minimize the spread of infection from this case. The Health Ministry says it has initiated contact tracing of her close contacts. They will be quarantined and provided with antiviral prophylaxis.

Passengers who had travelled in the same flight and were seated in rows 52 to 58 are urged to call the hotline at 1800-333 9999 to enable the MOH to check on their health condition.

The MOH adds that all medical practitioners and healthcare institutions should continue to be vigilant to suspect cases.

Singapore will continue with temperature screening for passengers entering Singapore at all checkpoints (land, sea and air).

All passengers passing through or entering Singapore are given Health Alert Notices on board their flights, advising them to monitor their own health if they have been to affected areas and to seek medical attention immediately if they are not well.
----------------------------------

<font color="Ff0066"> fz</font>
Yah... going forward. Now I learnt my lesson liaoz. No more "honeymoon" period for my other DD. Once they reach K2, they will start all their preparatory enrichment classes. Cannot delay. Looks like more $$$ coming out from pocket. Somemore last time when DD #1 finished CC, I was so happy. Can even tell my hub save $$. In end, I'm paying more in total for all the enrichment classes then for the CC fees. *faintz*

<font color="ff0066"> Joanne</font>
Dun tink allows them to play in class leh. My gal told me tat they have started on 1B for both Maths &amp; Chinese. But so far only got homework for chinese.

<font color="ff0066"> Luanee</font>
Wah.. good tat your gal finaaly figure out 100 cents = $1. My gal still struggling. Haiz... very day I will make her take $2 from my big tub of coins. But so far, she still takes the wrong amount. Dun know how to count. I keep teaching her, but she does not seem to grasp the concept. Like 10 x 10-cents = $1 or 5 x 20-cents = $1 *faintz*

caroline3sg,
i started my boy on 2 and 3times table too. he can't get to the answers quick enough. just did a big 'poster' and stick it in front of his study desk for him to see everyday...hope it'll help!

luanee,
for the Bag too Heavy, the scene where the hawker family accidentally conceieved, my boy asked me what are they talking about. i was like...'whats that? i think i missed it...' :p
although good opportunity for sex education, i am not prepared to discuss them now leh....how to teach concept of condom now?

<font color="ff0066"> t_tottot &amp; little princess</font>
I also prefer weekend classes at icreative as it's very rush for me to send my gal during weekday. But then the lady said they dun accept wait list cos it's very hard for them to monitor. Plus chances of getting a slot is super low. So boh pianz... went ahead with the weekday morning class first.

<font color="ff0066"> natellehcim</font>
Thks for the info on the H1N1. Oh dear... I hv not stocked up on masks yet. Tink later I better run to pharmacy and grab some liaoz. So scary. KS mom in action again. *lolz*

luanee
I admit I am very koot lat. To save money, I didn't let them have any tuition at lower primary.

Dymples
Expect to spend more in the yrs to come. Now we still can teach, but the topics will be harder in higher primary and not possible to teach, have to outsource. Money is difficult to earn.

natellehcim
thank you for the news!

Dymples it took my girl quite long to get the $$ concept too. I dunno why yesterday suddenly she went to count the money in her wallet and declared she had $2.80. So I tested her a bit and found that she really knew it. It just came suddenly lor, initially she also blur sotong. So just be patient.

Fz, about sex education, yah think they still too young now. But my girl now has habit of playing with her private part when she visits the toilet. Have to scold her to stop touching it!

natellehcim,
Thanks for the news. So scary, can still remember the SARS period where pupils were asked to stay at home. But luckily, school holidays coming.

Now looking for fun activities during the hols.

<font color="ff0066"> Caroline</font>
Yah manz... I also tinking I will need to spend more. Especially on the Maths &amp; Science.

<font color="ff0066"> t_tottot</font>
Yes yes. The teacher gave my gal a reply slip confirming the timing slot last week. I will need to bring this reply slip to present at the security counter tomorrow b4 can enter the school.

Haiz... I hope she catches the concept fast siah. Tink this June hols, I will make both mei-mei and her sit down and count $$$. Maybe will play those board games like Junior Monopoly. hehehehhe...

yesterday my son came back with a letter saying has holiday homework: Eng &amp; Maths e-learning.

I wonder where the 22yo woman reside.

t_totto : as mentioned by dymples no wait list ...
dymples : my daughter who is in k1 n attending ICL , is not given a confirmed place even if we are keen to let her continue when she is in p1. Priority given to those who join them earlier.

Motheragain - see what I mean, my girl can't tell me what they do in class... Asked her afew times , fav reply ' cannot remember'... Dunno what to do with her

e-learning...
Starts 2day for my boy...tis is the 1st time he is doing.....

H1N1,...
Aiyo...so sad..school hoilday soon...now got 1 case, just hope it would nt tune out as bad as the SARS....

hubby hve cancel all our short trip even just a day trip to JB....'sob' 'sob'

Hi Mummies,

Besides MPM, ThinkTank, what other Maths enrichment school that you have put your kids in? (esp. those who see improvement after attending).

Drymples, wow....you very 'on' leh, signing up your gals with the classes. Share with us how u find the school/course when yr gal started later..

Littleprincesses, my girl also cant tell me what they do in class leh, haha... she only told me the new PE teacher very good, taught them a lot. I asked her what she meant by a lot? She said the class ends at 1:45 instead of 1:30 lor haha..

With the H1N1 thingee, we have already aborted June overseas hol plan. Now planning to stay a short while in Sentosa for a short getaway. But not cheap even...

Dymples, yah junior monopoly is a good game to learn about money management. But too bad they dont have coins leh..

<font color="ff0066"> littleprincess</font>
Wah... like tat yah. I was talking to the lady (Elaine) and she told me tat cos my gal will be morning session next year, they will see how to reshuffle her class at the end of the year. She said no guarantees for the weekend class. Now crossing my fingers lah.

<font color="ff0066"> KC</font>
Boh pianz leh. I need to be onz. Cos my gal's results so 'terok' for SA1. Sure kena 'humtump' at the MTP session tomolo liaoz. So need to gather some ammo first. Else kena shoot till jialat jialat siah. hahahahah....

Yah hor... I din realise tat. hahahha... My mom was suggesting I play with her imaginery "shop shop" games. Where my gal sets up a shop and I pretend to go buy things from her and pay her $$$. *faintz* The things I gotta so...

Drymples,
DLS P2 is morning session? I suaku mummy still dont know...i like morning session leh.

Yeah, tomorrow MTP...haiz..what questions do you mummies intend to ask the teacher?

<font color="ff0066"> KC</font>
Yup. DLS P1, P3, P4 is afternoon session. Then P2, P5 and P6 is morning.

Anyway, do any of the DLS mommies know about the school undergoing some construction works next year? I heard from the grape vine tat the school wanna expand cos they intend to go into single session by dunno which year - tink is 2015. Tink I will chk with the teacher on this.

<font color="ff0066"> Caroline</font>
My gal wants to learn piano, but I'm not letting her cos:
(1) my house no place to put in a piano
(2) now $$$ so tight, how to buy piano? Berry exp leh.

Sometimes I feel like such a terrible mommy for not giving her this but at the moment really no choice lor. See how after next year bah.

luanee - hee, my girl didn't mention abt pe teacher also leh... If I asked her what she eat for recess, she can tell me..

Caroline3sg - my girl is learning piano. The teacher comes to our plc..

Caroline, yah she is using real money to buy things, but she can't grasp concept of notes vs coins initially and dunno how much change to get etc.

My girl learnt keyboard in Yamaha for 2 years before. But stopped when she went K2 coz it's so difficult to get her to practise, makes my blood boil everytime so I gave up.

Kc, I also dunno what to ask the teacher during my PTC on Friday.

Dymples
Im gg to ask my gals teacher whether DLS gg to shift as i hrd few years back tt they are planning.
Carol
I myself drop out of piano lessons when im in Form 5 coz im not the quiet and likes to sit still so gave up in the end. Dont tink my gal likes to play piano. Im trying to physco my gal into violin.

littleprincess
your girl beginners? about 3/4 of class learn piano in my girl's class. They have enjoyable time during music period. Teacher would ask them to play and to prepare for the 'performance', my girl would practise at home, else I have got to nag at her to practise.

Dymples
ya, piano &amp; lesson fees very expensive. Got to see interest is lasting or not.

luanee
wasted 2 yrs.

Joanne
I also heard that DLS is shifting to make way for renovation. Anyway, single session does not apply to our kids.

Hi Dymples,

If you girl really show great interest, I find no harm let her try. Who knows she really have talents in it leh? Not necessary to get a piano right now, you can get a normal keyboard and let her practise. My boy used to learn fm yamaha and I did not buy any piano for him. Just let him learn on a normal 'cheapo' keyboard, though sound is slight different. Eventually his interest dies, hence we stopped. Lucky no invest in piano yet.

If learning from Yamaha, sometimes you can book the room for practise at a certain price. A friend of mine also just bought a Yamaha piano 3k plus during their promotion and can pay installment some more.

Caroline, dont try u dunno mah. She was quite interested in the beginning, then dunno why lose interest liao. Now even seeing her cousin play, she is not interested. More interested in being her cousin's dance accompaniment.

Caroline- yes consider as beginner, probably will go for grade 2 exam next year, according to her teacher. She also gets to perform once/ twice a year organize by the music school. This school provides both in house n private teachers. Those students like my girl with private teachers will be assess by the principle of the music school once every 4 lessons. But I m too lazy to bring her back to school...

Dymples - I bought her a second hand piano n paid by instalment! Hehe

Joanne - form 5, you are m'sian? I m a Malaysian
happy.gif
I stopped learning the piano when I was 15 yrs old, regretted not continuing
sad.gif

Carol,
One of my gf sent her girl for piano class wif Yamaha at Plaza Sing. She said she has to learn piano as well which she not so interested. Told me shes very xian in class. But wat to do for her gal's sake. Wat a Great MUM!

<font color="ff0066"> Caroline, natellehcim, Luanee, littleprincess</font>
My gal will bug me to let her learn the paino whenever we pass by any piano shop or music school. But I scared her interests is only temporarily. Somemore buying paino is not cheap. I like the idea of using keyboard, but won't the sound be different? hhhmmm... maybe can consider sending her to the piano class conducted at the CC. But again, need to see whether she can cope with school + her enrichment classes.

Last time I learned to play the organ for nearly 4-yrs at Yamaha under the Electone course. Enjoyed it so much. But after my dad sold off the organ, I never played anymore.

Dymples
people say learn piano can help to de-stress.

luanee
if want your girl to continue piano, you have got to keep her interest burning. It is difficult to keep the interest burning if parent does not know how to play the piano.

hi caroline, drymples,
During orientation last time, I chit chat with the security lady...she briefly also mention DLS will temporarily shift for renovation...probably in 2 yrs time. I think they shifting somewhere near Teck Whye or Bt Panjang area (i heard there is one school cater just for school going on renov). After renov, DLS will still move back in the same place but bigger and better facilities.
Hope my infor. is accurate lor.

Drymples, if you gal really very keen in learning piano...maybe u can give her try (i know u giving her a lot of enrichment plus $$ spent)..But normally when a kid is really interested in something, they will tend to learn very well. Can give her trial for few months first, dont need to buy piano. I always like young children learning piano, violin, ballet leh.

Hi KC, ya me too, would like kids to pick up music or dances. But too bad, my boy does not want to continue, neither my girl is interested in any of these.
sad.gif

My girl in Yamaha JXC. This year she has gone independent of me. The teacher doesn't want parents to be taking notes for them. The content quite different of RBSM (is it wat u call it?). They teach ensemble and transposing.. so a lot of times, I hear my girl practise only a small part of the whole song... when I ask her, she will say that's all she has to play.. the rest others will play.. pengz!
I don't know how to play myself.. have to count the staves to know the notes type.. hehe..

I also had a tough time, getting her to practise. but when she finally cross the hurdle and manage to play the whole song... she beams..then she will tell me, "I know wat u are going to say.. practice makes perfect.. I know already" PENGZ again! believe it or not, my piano is 35 yrs old...even the tuner says he can't tune to orchestral pitch, everything will be 10pts lower... We are ok la... make do until she is really very keen to go on...
Actually, what I really want for her is exposure to the arts in the form of music besides school work. If there were no exams for music would be better. Enough stress liao.

teacher-parent session,
one thing u could ask de teacher is how yr child behaves in class n interacts wif his/her friends. cos dis is wat we wont know.

i wanted to teach my gal piano when she's a preschooler but only started durin dis mar hols. thot give her some exposure n if she really wans to learn seriously, then send her to a teacher. if not, may b she'll learn better wif out stress of exams fm me ... but dun noe how long i can teach ... i'm not v gd myself ... hee

Back