20 years of marriage, 3 kids, should I leave them now?

magdaleneng

Hi, I need some advice. My post is also in singaporebrides.com under How should I live my nest 40 years?

Age 47, married 20 years with 3 kids 17 G, 11 B, 9 B. Used to work as a secretary in a financial institution with good pay and fantastic boss. Became a housewife 11 years ago. My daughter did badly for P1, I had just given birth, my husband travelled extensively for his company and he wanted me to stay at home, be there for the kids, so that he can have peace of mind.

We were separated for a year once when my daughter was only 3 years old. All of a sudden he just could not stand my ‘nonsence’ or so he said. When I asked for maintenance for his daughter, he said he’s not sure if she was his. He claimed there were no 3rd party, but few months later, when I took my daughter on a tour to forget my unhappiness, I came face to face with him with his arm round another woman in Hawaii. In one year, I shifted 3 times, living among my siblings. Life was lonely and tough living under people’s roof, but peaceful and manageable. A year later, when my brother tried to make me move out of his house, my husband asked me to go back to him. I relented reluctantly because our separation has robbed my daughter out of her confidence. I know she felt lonely without a father. I suspect my husband miss our daughter and this family rather than me. Anyway, he treated me better than before, and we went on to have another 2 boys.

Therefore, when he asked me to give up my job, I was a bit apprehensive as I was afraid history may repeat itself and without a job, I would be in a dilemma should he ask for divorce again. He promised he won’t and suggested setting up a joint account where all his income would be credited into so that I can have a peace of mind. He also promise to give me an allowance equivalent to my last drawn pay.

My husband change after the birth of my 3rd child. Our relationship nosedive from there. However, he still give me an allowance, although my allowance is now shared with my 3 children and the maid plus all household expenses. If there’s no adhoc expenses like medical bills, I can save about $500 a month. The consolation and security is his income goes into our joint account.

From being a person whom I can talk about anything under the sun, he’s become critical of me. He’s always putting me down. Even when I wrote many letters to him to explain, he’ll still insist I’m a lousy mom, only know how to watch TV, use the computer blah blah blah. He accused me of cheating him of the money from joint account, call me evil, devil. When the renovation contractor we know for years, molested me once, in front of the kids, he said I must have seduced him! He just refused to see eye to eye with me on anything!

I suspected something. I check his laptop and discovered picture of sexy girls everywhere. Photos of a young woman showering in the toilet. Photos of a man using his handphone to capture a woman doing oral sex on him. My maid found condoms in his car. Few years ago, I chanced upon intimate smses between him and another woman. I’m glad we’ve stopped sleeping together 4 years ago when I suspected he passed an STD to me.

The daughter I painstakingly raised, sacrificed myself to let her have a father, nurture her, guide her, shop with her, give in to her wants, has not been on talking terms with me for 2 months already. She failed her ‘O’ level English, and I have been asking her to make use of the time waiting for Poly to start to brush up on her English by reading more. She work part time (3 times a week), she spent the other 3 days with friends. She ignored my advice to balance her time. Then she told me one day that her friend said I’m a stressful mom, if she were my daughter, she would quarrel with me. I felt so hurt, I thought I gave her a lot of freedom already. I even let her start dating after her ‘O’ level. She’s allowed to go out with friends, but she must return by 9pm, if later than that, she has to seek my permission. She told me most of her friends go home after 11pm, some even 1-2am. I’ve explained to her why I can’t. Therefore, on that fateful day, when I tried to stop her from going out as I was very angry with her for being inconsiderate, irresponsible, showing bad attitude when I talk to her, she ignored my instruction. I called her, she ignored my calls, then I threaten to pack her luggage if she does not return y a certain time, and she sms me ‘So be it”. She stayed at her boyfriend’s house for 1 night and a girlfriend house for 2 nights before returning.

My husband is furious with me. Put me down every day. Condemn my parenting style. Said he pities the children. He went to the extend of channelling his income into his own personal account and restrict my spending. I’m no longer allow to sign for my children purchase or food. Needless to say, he’ll not honour my own purchase. He even threaten to cancel all my credit cards.

All these 17 years, I’ve lived for my children and this family. I’m home everyday. I cooked lunch and dinner for them everyday. I help them in their school work, I read newspaper to them and taught them values and moral. I even taught my boys cycling and rollerblade without knowing how to myself. I’m also the handyman in the house. I leaned how to fix the cistern tank in the toilet, change the sockets in the house, everything. All my 3 children conduct in school is excellent. My husband only work and bring the money in. Yet, I’m now labelled a lousy mom, my daughter in one of her sms, said I’m scary all the time.

I’m now contemplating divorcing my husband and leaving this family. I feel my 20 years as a wife and mom has not brought me any happiness I am very disheartened even though my 2 boys are innocent. I believe they will also turn against me when they become teens especially when my husband take sides. My husband even go to the extend of removing my financial security, I feel extremely worried that I might be the next one to live under the flyover one day.

My biggest problem are my 2 boys. How? Should I continue to live for them the next 8 years or should I start thinking of myself and break this family up. Some of you may suggest that I get a job while continuing to stay here. I think that will make my husband very happy as he need not finance me and at the same time the family and children’s still looked after. When the time comes and my sons don’t want me anymore, there might also not be much left in my husband’s account to cover me. I know I sounded spiteful, but I’ve sacrificed much. I was enjoying my job, feeling very secured, had good self-esteem, until I gave up all for this family. When love was gone, I live without sex for God knows how many years. I feels lonely everyday and night. I put up with everything for my children. When my daughter snubbed me, I almost end my life if not for the fact that I still have a mother to care for. When my sons snubbed me, I cannot guarantee I won’t end my life for my mom would probably not be around by then.

Sorry for such a long letter. I’ve no friends, I fell out with my siblings over my mom. I do not have anyone to talk to now. Please tell me what would you do in my position.

hi magdalene

empathise with ur situation...after reading what u have wrote, I too are worried that my life wld end up like urs...after giving our youth and time to the family, we are in the end labelled as lousy wife, scary mother...

every time i faced a problem, me too wld think like u, leave the family for good...BUT...come to think of it again, if u really choose to leave now, there might be no turning back!!! and all the effort that u have put in for ur family and children wld go down the drain! when the children are younger, that is the most difficult of life...if u choose to leave now, all the credit might go to daddy...why?? coz they might remember u as the mommy who chose to 'abandon' them no matter how valid ur reasons are and they will remember that daddy is the one who brought them up till adulthood...

every time i think of these, i will endure....I believe when my kids are all grown up and independant, i will still not be so old till i cldn't earn a living. bt then at least i have fulfilled my responsibility as a mother, since i am the one who bring them into this world...if children are filial, great. otherwise, i still have a clear conscience...

guess ur girl is still at the rebellious stage. we all have been teenager ourself. bt now as mother, we all became more caring towards our own mother. coz when we have children, we realized that whatever our mothers had did or said, it's for our good...no matter what, mother is the best and closest to us...

no one cld tell or advice u what to do...coz what we wld do if we are in ur position might not necessary be the best solution...

however, still hope u are feeling a bit better after pouring out ur feeling...

hi magdalene, i suspect that your daughter behaviour might be the result of your relationship with your husband.

i think u have to settle your problems with your husband then u can settle with daughter

hi mag,

it me the same diana tat singaporebride thread also.

i juz wan u to remember tat u are nw a mother. so pls do not keep thinking of leaving ur kids or killing urself.

y people say tat mother love is the greatest love of all...it is because, no matter how badly the children ever treat the mother in the past, the mother will still forgive them in the future and are still willing to love and care for tat child as much as the past.

love between couple can fade away but love for our own children will nv....

since nw ur boys are consider big le...y not u go out and work on part time basis?

also, one thing u might wan to settle nw is ur r/s wif ur hb. ask him wat he really wan. work from there..

good luck and stay strong.

Hi Diana,

Thanks again. My daughter just started her Poly. She's too busy with her new life to even give me a glance. She's 17 now and I've done my best for her, even if my best is not her best. I'll cotinue to guide her if she's receptive, but since she's not, I'll just let go.

I'll concentrate on the boys. However, I'm questioning my parental style. There seems more negative feedbacks than positive ones from Singaporebride. Perhaps I've really failed as a mother.

Infact I've closed one eye eversince my daughter's outburst as I was very disullusion. Looks like I've to close 1 eye permanently so as to allow my 2 sons to fall and learn from their fall.

However, I know whatever kind of mother I am, my husband would still have something nasty to say. Just like when their grades dropped recently, he said I did not coach them and so he decided not to put his salary into the joint account anymore. When a man stopped loving a woman, nothing that woman does will ever please him.

I know he won't change. I also know he would make things difficult for me if I ask for a D now as it is still not the time for him to let me go cos of the 2 boys. He travels a lot and does need me to be at home to watch over the 2 boys, at least until they are in Poly, like their sister. He most likely would contest the D and do all kinds of taiqi to delay or make things difficult. I'm worried I may have to end up paying thousands of dollars to the lawyer, as every penny counts for me now.

I've not much savings and my CPF is zero as it's been used up to help pay for this house. Now that he's limit me to just spend on my monthly allowance for the family, it would be near impossible for me to save anymore. I think he's trying to cut off my finance so that I would not have money to leave the family and have to eat humble pie here.

While I don't mind staying for the boys, I dread living here in this kind of condition. Strict also cannot, not strict also cannot. Feel I'm not better off than my maid now.

I'm seeing the counsellor to find what choices I have, not to salvage this marriage or my relationship with my daughter.

If I stay, when it's time for my husband to dump me, I'll be 55. He could still hide his assets and try to wriggle out of giving me alimony. At 55, my chances of getting a better job would be even slimmer compared to now at 47. If he doesn't wish to release me, I'm sure he'll stopped giving me a single cent to force me to work and be self-sufficient.

I've come across many man like that (my brothers and brothers-in-law, all womanises but cling on to their marriage), make use of their wife whom they no longer love to look after them when they become old and fall sick later in life. Don't forget, we woman lives longer than man.

Haiz, really really don't know what to do.

My mind's still in a whirl. Too many things going thru them.

Despite having all these thoughts, fears running thru my mind, somehow I have this feeling that the most logical thing I should do now is to get a fulltime job, whether he approves or not. I think if I remains a housewife, without support to discipline my children, and my finances cut, my life's actually moving backward.

I know I seems to be thinking only of myself now. But, I have put in so much for my gal and it's proven I've failed. From most teens view, I AM A SCARY MUM! I really don't have the guts or confidence to do a good motherly job anymore.

Flying a kite is not simple at all and it also needs a lot of courage to just stand there to watch your children fall. What if the hole they fell into is a deep deep one that has no floor?

So at the end of all my misery thoughts, one thing stood up, GET A JOB!

Do you all agree?

mag,

ur youngest boy is only 9yrs old so i think he still pretty much nid ur care de...thus i suggest part time job like mayb those that u only nid to do half day or few hrs tat kind.

No, I must consider her pride.

It's ok, she's big already. If she's happy with the way things are, I should respect her wish and not make her return to me. Now's the time for me to let go and let her learn from setbacks. Hopefully she don't fall too hard.

At least if I managed to leave this family, I'll have one child less to mourn my leaving.

Hi Magdalene,

Letting her learn her way is one thing. Teaching her filial piety is another.

Confucius teaching 弟子规 offers very good education for children, as well as adults.

Hi mtyh,

I've many of such story books at home which I read to them when they were small. I used real stories from our Straits Times, even some forums, to educate my children on moral and values. I lead by example by being filial to my mum and parents-in-law. I cleared my own trays in foodcourts rather than let any elders clear for me. But, where does all these leads me?

I am an avid reader, fiercely independent, organised and neat. None of my 3 children takes after me. They are more like Dad.

When my daugther was in Primary school, her mum is the world, she listened to everything I said. When she was in Seconday School, her friends becomes their world.

In secondary school, they spent a large part of their time in school, with their friends. Even when they're home, they are so blog down by homework to have real meaningful time with their parents.

If everybody say Coke is good, then everybody agree coke is good. If just one person say that, we'll have 2 different camps. Schools no longer tell stories of Confusius, unlike my generation, neigher do they harp on values. That's why we are seeing more and more elderly working working.

If you go to the polyclinic, you see many such elderly waiting to see doctors alone.

Recently I used the AWARE saga to teach my 2 boys about Homos and religion. About pushing people to the limits which will only result in the other party hitting back. I'm going through with them STTA's case esp the part where the Coach reputaion was at stake. My 2 sons swallowed everything. But, will they remember all these teachings when they are eventually lost in schools and friendship?

I'm quite sure that I've lost my daughter to greater force outside the home, and I'm going to lose my 2 boys too in another few years' time.

Maybe my husband's judgement and my daughter's treatment of me has made me very pessimistic. I can't help but feel despite doing all that I can or I am, I've failed as a mother and I lack the confidence to carry on with my 2 boys.

Most comments from the Singaporebride thread has hinted that I should give my children more space to learn in their own ways and from setbacks.

Ya, so I think I should stop mothering them and let them learn from their own falls.

Even if one is willing to teach, the other party must be willing to listen.

Hi Magdalene,

Our action often has a bigger influence on the kids than our words. If parents are often seen not respecting each other it is hard for the kids to respect the parents. I don't think we can easily tell the kids to do so.

Maybe there is a better way to educate the kids through our action.

I recommend you watch 弟子规 by 蔡礼旭老师.

Another link that has much of these materials is http://www.dfg.cn

Find out what is it about, and then judge for yourself if they would be effective.

Hi Magdalene
thanks for sharing your story. Reminds me of my problems and all my children are younger than 10, i, too thought of leaving the family by any means even thought of death. however, i turned around. feel that leaving them will judged me as irresponsible.

Please be strong, and don't lose hope on your children, all of them are going thru their different parts of their life, for example, your girl is struggling between her teenagehood and young adulthood.

Wherever you are, god and angels are watching. Take it as trials of life

Hi Mag

I do feel for you... I also gave up my job because of my baby... i used to get whatever i want before preggy.. ever since i gave up my job, i hardly buy a piece of clothes for myself... i really became a "auntie"... i also scare one day i will become like you.

if i were you, i willnot do anything now... and i won't talk to "my" husband so that he won't know what am i think or planning... con't to take his money for kids and your allowrance, take good care of children, doll up yourself, get out of the house and mix around, open your eyes wide wide to look for a better man who can give you happiness.. this man might not be the one that you have to spend the rest of your life with but just to pamper you, make you happy, that's all...

don't kill yourself... this man is not worth for you to do that. you already lived for him and the family for the past 20 yrs. it's time for you to live for yourself. kids are innocent, they will appreciate you when they grow up for sure... as for now, you really have to make a decision, after divorce, do you want your kids?? if you want, then probably you have to spend another 10 yrs to take care of them and lived for them. if you don't want, then you can start all over again, get a job, dress up yourself and look for a beter man.

cheer up. be strong..

Hi Magdalene,
Your story really echoes the deepest darkest fears in me. Right now, I'm my son's world. But I worry for the day he will despise me and think it's uncool to be seen with mum...

Be strong! Like what some of the others suggest, start living for yourself. Do things you enjoy, shop for yourself. Let your family take the backseat for the time being...

Hi Magdelene
If i am in your shoes, I will

1. start to look for a job - part time or full time.
why: To have a more compelling reason for custody of your children in case you end up in Divorce

2. Create a world that does not revolve around the family.
Why : In case of divorce, you will have your group of support to see you through

eg. Have my own circle of friends, dress myself up nicely and elegantly, speak with more worldly wisdom ( eg. general and political knowledge ) than auntie wisdom (eg. how much is that fish eh? ), moisturize my whole body and keep myself healthy through lots of exercise
Why: A healthy body = a healthy mind = Healthy self esteem = more attractive personality

3.Save my own money in my own account
Why = Financial security

4.See a marriage counsellor if I can get my husband to co-operate along the way to see if I can salvage the relationship.
why = Everything must have a second chance

5. Let the children go when they reach teenage years for friends will come first. When they hit their twenties and are married, they will return to mummy.
why = Must learn to let go when its time. Holding on too tight can cause you to lose things most precious to you.

All the above requires some amount of tenacity and
persistance to see through. So start planning now so you ( women ) will not regret when they hit 55.

I have friends who are late fourties and early fifies who are at a loss of what to do when through children are teenager-years independent. They spent the first few years searching for a second meaning to life, but at least their husbands stick by with them. But I always think that I do not want to be like that. That's why I am already planning even if I am in my early thirties now.

You may need a bit more work as your husband is not very supportive. So start working on it now.

Best of luck!!!!!

I echo Fang's thought.

Your world circles too much around your family. It can make your husband sick of you. Change yourself... So that he'll suddenly panic that you'd changed. No man can take that scare.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Magdalene,

Like how some of the ladies here, I too am worried that I might end up like you. And this is the reason I'm filing for a divorce.

Someone in this forum said this: we should not use children as a bridge in the marriage. Instead, love should be the reason for a marriage to go on.

I think it's obvious and blatant that your husband doesn't love you anymore. And your daughter is resentful about your marriage, and even perhaps the fact that you are financially powerless irks her.

I remember when I was a teenager, I used to admire my friends' mothers who worked, or drove, and were self-sufficient. My own mother was a housewife from the start and I have to admit that I was guilty for despising my own mother for depending on my father for money, and had to put up with his infidelity. I didn't sympathise with her then because I couldn't understand her sorrows.

Things only changed when I became a mother myself. I then realised how important a husband's faithfulness is and how great a mother's love is.

I myself have a daughter who's nine this year. And I do expect her to become quite a different person when she hits her teenage years. I don't know what it's going to happen, but I will try my best to accommodate her requests so that she doesn't hate me when the time comes. But that's quite beyond my control so I'm not going to fret over that.

Magdalene,
I would very much like to ask you to leave this man. He treats you like dirt, and it's all for your kids to see. If you continue to live with him, and condone his display of contempt for you, I'm afraid your two boys will also treat you like dirt later on.

Like what you fear, I asked myself,"Do I want to divorce only at 40? Or even 50?" and this is mainly what motivated me to look for a lawyer. If I can't see any future in this marriage, what hope is there for me when I am much older?

If you can, please leave him. If you don't leave him, he'll never change his attitude towards you. Yes, do find a job to support yourself and ask for alimony from him. He's taken up so much of your youth. You deserve a neat sum from him.

Thanks all of you for your views and encouragement.

Much as I hate to break this family up, I've to admit it's already broken when I looked at both my husband and daughter's behaviour towards me.

I'm waiting for school to re-open before returning to the workforce on part-time basis. That's the only way for me to meet new friends and start a new life.

Once I've adjusted to the working life again, I'll certainly file for divorce when my 2 boys finish their 'O' level (that is, if I can hang on that long).

I don't think I am so great as to stay on to this marriage to wait on a husband who treats me thus now, or to look after him when he's frail and sick, since in his opinion I'm a lousy wife and mother.

Children will eventually grow up and have their own busy life to lead therefore it's not practical to count on them to be there for you all the time. With them as adults, it is the time for us to discharge our parental responsibilties and worries and start to enjoy our life with our partner.

However, if both cannot see eye to eye, then what's the point of hanging on to this marriage. Who wants to lead their whole life taking care of others who does not know how to appreciate?

I rather spend my time as volunteers to look after and bring cheers to those poor aged abandoned by their family members. They will appreciate me more!

Hi, I hope you won't give up on yourself. Try working on improving the relationships with your 3 kids. Divorce or not, you must have your children's support and love. I am sorry to read how your daughter treated you but she is probably frustrated as well, esp when she is an angsty teenager right now. I feel that what you can do for yourself is to pick yourself up, find a job if that makes you feel better about regaining financial independence, find hobbies that you will enjoy and work on staying positive. That was how I survived a cheating ex husband that resulted in a broken marriage.

Take care.

Hi Magdalene,

Infidelity is happening everywhere, to anyone. You had received lots of advice and right now, you must be having lots of thoughts.

However, you must always remember: Your kids don't ask to be born. You, and your husband have chose to give them life. Time can never be turned back. Right now, you have to stay focus on yourself and your kids.

However bad they may turn out to be, they are still yours. That fact can never be changed. Your blood still run in their bodies. Its very tough and trying right now, but you must never forget this fact.

I've read a parenting book with very powerful messages and I always write down whenever I come across such powerful statements, just to get me going tough, when the going gets tough.

So, here goes:
"How do we bestow such an inheritance on our chldn? We love them; understand them; respect them; honour them; we commit absolutely never to lose sight of their basic nature, no matter what age or atage they are in.

We do this, even when as adolescents or adults, they (chldn) forget who we (parents) are. Perhaps they turn against us for unjustifiable reasons. Even then, we don't turn against them.

We do not forget who they are.

We do not forget who we are."

I wish you well. Take care. There are still lots of people who cares out here.

keep yourself occupied, get a job and have your own circle of friends... make yourself happy and life will be easier. learn to take things easy. hope this helps.

Good job Fang! You did a great job summarizing all that needs to be said.

Mag, be strong. Sit down, read what advices is best for you then draft it out what you need to do and do them one by one. You can do it! Most imptly, life's too short to be so unhappy.. live life like today's the last so everyday also must be happy!

hugs!

Stay strong, live for yourself and not anyone else. Especially show it to THAT MAN (sorry for being rude) without him you can be happier and lead a better life.
Pick out something that you will enjoy doing, keep yourself busy, time will heal all pain and wound.
Hope to hear a happier you soon!

*Scream out loud if you need to, you will feel better after that*

Fang is so right.

You need to find yourself again. It's not easy being a SAHM and worst if your husband behaves like that. AS we aged, we loose our confidence and of course our physical outlook.

With a job, you could gain that confidence back.
And take up some activity like Yoga which is stress relieving. Just make sure u don't let your daughter and husband put u down whenever u starts to feel better abt urself. Always tell urself that u ve done enough for this family and if they don't appreciate u... life still goes on. Live for yourself and not for anyone else especially if u think u r alive for ur boys. Cos one day they will grow up and have their own family.

Sometimes it's good to be a bit selfish... cos it shows that u still love yourself. I always tell myself.. if no one loves you... atleast love yourself.

As for your daughter... if she does'nt talk to u let it be but make sure she follows ur instruction. Curfew is still a curfew... don't let her take advantage of ur situation to gain her freedom... And don't take to heart on what she said to u... cos it's just the teens phase...

I was once in ur daughter situation, my parents were very strict... and I was very rebellious.. once i did not talk with my parents for 6mths and lock myself whenever they tried to talk to me... now to think of it... I am glad they were strict.

Dear Magdalene,
Read your post and honestly telling from the core of my heart I praise you , for your unselfish giving of 'Self' to your family,to your children no matter whether they appreciate or not.Life demands alot from a woman and people just assume that being a woman,we should be the one who should sacrifies,give way to others,thats a norm in our society.Men is free from all of the responsibilities as long as he is bringing money back home and covering expences.This is a bitter truth,which will take dont know how many years to change.Well,I just want to tell you that you dont need anybody's recognition and approval for your efforts and sacrifieses.You are a great mother and you should know it first,you did all you could to maintain the integrity of your family for the sake of your children.U ask urself,do u need ur unfaithful husband's approval for it? Does he has any face to label you and call u a lousy mother when he himself, spite of being a husband and father of three ,playing around with sluts? Why you need reconignition from such man and why should you even care what the damm he says about you?
As long as your relationship with your children is concerned,I think,during this puberty phase all children behave strangely with their parents and later when they get matured,may be in early 20 s,they start visualising parents standpoints more objectively,some children,take longer for it.Its alright dear,I know,its painful to see,when your own flash and blood misbehaves and refuse to understand you,but afterall she is your very own daughter,and its a matter of time,she will come back to you.
I think,its time for you,to think about yourself,pick up all small pieces of 'URSELF',which were torn by others and life and integrate them together not forgetting that u are still a graceful mother of three children.In practical words,get financial independence,trace back your friends,join some stress relieving activities/classes,and concentrate on YOU first and then on your children.Sometimes we dont get RIGHTS of a relationship but we still need to do the DUTIES which comes with it.God bless

Hi Magdalene,

You are one strong mummy. Give yourself a pat for that. Always remember never to let anyone put you down. Especially that heartless being you are living with. He is not fit to be called a husband or even a man for that matter.

Pick up yourself, strengthen your financial and be stronger. Its not going to be easy but in my opinion you have to bear with it until you are strong enough importantly financial wise.

If you ever want to leave your marriage, do take your children with you. No matter how bad they treat you now, teenagers being teenagers, just be there for them and they will realize their mistake one day. Tho that day may be a long way to come.

Try to talk to your daughter as a friend. Maybe ask her opinion about your marriage, what is the right step in her opinion you should do. Remember to let her just speak what she wants to say, some things may be hurtful but at least you know what is going on in her head. Just do more listening.

I know it feels like you have done so much for her and yet you are the one who still has to eat the humble pie and take the first step. But I think it beats the idea of severing ties with your children because I know deep down inside you love them very much. And i am very sure they do too.

Stay strong and be stronger.

its harder for the one that shoulder it all...
looking at what u've said....its harder to express my feelings of understanding...for i am not in your shoes
sad.gif

hope u do consider some of the points that have been mentioned by others here. i had neva post in a thread...but rather be an observer....somehow...i felt i do need to pen these down...

wateva is done....is done. brave yourself and from this day on...live ur life to the fullest. if u are a strong believer in god, then pray for serenity of heart...
happy.gif

i admire ur courage and unlimited patience....to tolerate infidelity for the man that had swear to love and care for u....and those sacrifices made for ur children...

may u have the strength to do wats best next...please do take care of ur heart, mind and soul..
happy.gif

Hi Mag,

Hope you don't feel offended but I guess you might have already made up your mind what you gonna do. Probably you need encouragement and words from others to justify your decision.

I believed you have done a lot for the family but...when it comes to family, there's no way to calculate who has contributed more, especially as a mum. I have heard your side of story but not your husband. Most people are defensive towards themselves when unhappiness occur. This situation is like when I divorce my x. But my lawyer was the one that woke me up. She said, "Belinda, good or bad, it's your choice. Accept and move on" I thought for a few days and realized I'm also accountable to the failed marriage.

Mag, deep inside you, you might know what exactly happen to lead to this present situation. Regarding his infidelity, u opt to forgive and carry on. Kids are innocent. You can't give up on them.

I really hope you have an open heart and look back. Things might change if you take a step backward and look again. Work things out. Although I 'm a divorcee, I'm pretty sad that marriage is no longer as sacred as before.

All the best!

hi mag, as i read your story, i felt that you were too dependant on your husband financially. That is one of e few reasons that ties you down in an unhappy marriage. My advice is that you should brace yourself up, get a job and be independant financially. Still care for your 3 kids and not worry about how your boys may treat you in future for we will never know. Don't waste your time and energy worrying. Move on and do things that you can be in control. As for your gal, this is e age many behave like her mainly due to peer pressure. Let go and as she grows older, she will understand. By letting go, she may start to think about your change in behaviour towards her and maybe learn to come closer to you as you are not as scary as she thought. She needs freedom and a breathing space. She wants to be treated like an adult and she wants to be trusted. Don't let your unfaithful husband waste your time anymore. Live your life and move on. Earn your respect and you will feel better. Live with no regrets. You can do it.

Hi Mag,
What we can do here is just giving u all the strength and concerns. Ultimately you need to ask yourself DO you want to give your kids a healthier family environment?

In my own opinion, if history been repeating, i will leave no doubt of my kids. If i have no roof, I will try to get myself finanicially independent instead of HB side. From there, you will felt more useful. Though you are 47, you are still useful to the society okie
happy.gif

Say is easier than done. But think of your kids, they are old enough to understand and can see feel what is happening between their parents.

Maybe you can try seek any counselling for you and your gal. I know your worries as we all been through teenage years.

Hope you can be more happier than the past after putting aside the past. Living happier in future and the rest of the next 20 30 40 yrs or so is more important
happy.gif

Reading these posts really strengthen my belief that women should never be too dependant on their spouses. We need to live our own lives...I find biggest mistake women make is to always put our husbands and family first but of course it is always easier said than done. Probably is a mars-venus thing. Women do not mind sacrificing ourselves for our family but how many men would think twice before they reach out and grab another pair of boobs if its readily available? Sigh... This is life and we cannot help it if men can only think with their other head. We have to be therefore strong and be able to hold our own. Sometimes, I feel that today men are only the head of the family in name only (just to satisfy their ego) and in fact women are actually the stronghold of each and every family. So be strong ladies!

Hi Mag,

I think your problems are all solved by now.. Anyway.. you need to have your own social life to make yourself feel better.

I grew up with minimal teaching from my parents and was a really rebellious kid .. somehow or rather one day.. i realise that i have done so many wrongdoings and regretted.. My family is always there for me no matter what and when i think of it ..i appreciated them and became more fillial...i hope your girl will learn too.

Hihi Mag,

i m hmm getting married soon n hmmm i think for your case wise... Hmmm u may not be a bad mom as per what they know.. Cos we children are always childish until one day we becomes mom... hahaha

dun need to brood over your daughter's behaviour, also hmm if you were to hmmm try to change the situation and R/S with her now its even worst.. It might turn out to be she ignore u even more.. So i would suggest maybe u can leave a short period... N if ur hb know his mistake n understand he needs u more than u need him.. He might come back for u? Den u can hmmm negotiate terms with him maybe saying u will hmm look after the kid but with a D and good sum of alimony after your two sons goes into hmm Poly...

Yes!!! Get the evidence of his scandals & divorce him!! Get a good sum of your alimony & live a life that truely belongs to you...

Really sorry to hear what you've been thru & outmost blessing that you'll find your happiness soon.
As for your kids,
you're their mum not their maid!!!
If they don't know how to appreciate you now, one they when they're parents themself they will. It's always a cycle.

Anyway y does everyone always feel that divorce is end of the world & sure hurt your kids, this & that?

I've also came across divorces that tightens family bond. After divorce husband & wife became friends & kids can also accept the facts that dad & mum don't love each other anymore but love for them never change. Sometimes even more coz they're both happier.

You're old enough to make your own decision & happiness might be just ahead whether you want to go find it or not.

Who say that after divorce you don't think for your kids anymore or love them less!
You've got the right to find your own happiness or in this case leave your sorrows.

I'm also a mum thou my kids are still young & i left my good job for them. If i found out that my hubby is doing this, i'll leave him immediately & find him so dirty to live with.

Whether i'm now 30 or later 50, it's the same!
we women has the right to happiness & being a mum should have more coz we've sacrisfied so much for the family... Career, looks, figure, youth... not to get this kind of unfair treatment!

Hope best to you & once you decided, don't look back coz happiness is just ahead.

One more thing dress up & look good for yourself!
Do something for yourself coz you deserve it more than anyone else.

No one can penalise you coz they're not you! Ask them if they can see another women blowjob for their own husband & still bear with it before they want you to just live with it.

cambirlyn,
no, you sounded very angry...

<font color="0000ff">No one can penalise you</font> ???
Don't happen in singapore,
cause child care subsidy is for family with dad &amp; working mom
Maternity benifits are for married woman

Hi Magdalene. I've read your story and all the posts here and I think you're doing the right thing in starting to live your life for yourself and not just for your husband and your kids. I just want to encourage you and other mothers to love yourself first. I agree with khadijah, your children will realize someday how they treated you especially your daughter when she becomes a mother herself. Make a living. Save for yourself. Move on away from the shadow of the past. You are not alone.

Hi mummies,
just wanna say that I will never fully know what my mum went through just so that I could be born, and then endured for her 4 children through all kinds of hardship so that we could grow up with as much of her in our childhood and teenage years as possible until I got pregnant. I am pregnant 7 months plus now..I'm 22 and just got through my teens not long ago so hope I can be in a position to share my story with you and help you see your situation in a more hopeful light where your daughter's attitude and behaviour is concerned.I was never an easy kid, poor but never lived a poor life cos i had a doting grandpa, pros and cons. we all know what teenage is like.. friends more impt, wants a girl-boy relationship, buy branded and trendy things, compare with peers in most aspects possible. I have my defiant days too and I've said very nasty things to my parents. To imagine the extent of my distance from my parents,though my grandpa loves me but doesn't spoils me, i have to earn what i want in ways like be good, help out at home and academic results, hence of cos I'm closer to my grandad than my own parents and i think they haven done much to raise me up cos my grandpa lends or gives my parents money to raise us children cos never got back his money til his last day, paid for almost everything about me, my school fees and allowance through to private diploma when my Os results couldn't make the mark, bought me most things i wanted that other peers have but my parents couldn't afford, and accompanied me most of my lifetime til he left us when i was 19, i stayed with my grandparents.Without my grandpa, i would've been a bitter child lacking in education, devoid of everything, thank god there was one person in my life to make living bearable and turned my life around.i went through alot of bad times also cos my grandma and i were loggerheads cos she only has eyes for money and my parents were poor and often weren't there for me or couldn't be of help when i needed them.my grandma was jealous that my grandpa loved me more and would abuse me by using water pipes to beat me, or durian shells to brush against my skin when my grandpa's not at home then lie about me misbehaving or hurting myself. i have no one to confide in or nowhere to turn to.The extent of our poverty is we didn't even have a place to call our own. We have to stay in grandparents' house, too much closeness in physical distance leads to conflicts. My family was plagued with financial problems and strained relationships and had to live under other's roofs and bear with unfair treatments and always never comparable to other kids in the family.Both sides of my family, my cousins' parents were rich and from cousins studies in reputable good schools like Raffles and Hwa Chong while we were from neighbourhood schools.You know as kids, how we felt then?We can blatantly say we felt our parents are useless!We blamed many unfairness on the lack of money.With money for tuition and grooming of talents, we can be like our cousins, if our parents give grandma alot of money like other aunties and uncles, she'll treat us well.if we have our own house, we can do what we want and appear to be as good as our cousins to others. But within our growing up, we had lots of lessons learnt that will take us further than most kids.Stumbling blocks in the earlier years can become stepping stones for the future.Instead of becoming bitter, we become better over the years.Sorry if what i've been saying is very blur but i can only draw some points cos it's too long a story to tell if i were to go into details.Every family have their own sad story to tell, even my godma's family, though super rich, have their own set of fears and worries-about kids being kidnapped. I know of rich kids who struggle with low self esteem and depression problems though they have no financial or divorce or relationship problems in their house.
What I'm trying to say here is.. as they get to see more things in life, your kids will appreciate and recognise what you did for them maybe not now but someday, they'll see people from different walks of life and in different situations and learn that they're not the worst and every family have their own set of problems. They'll know that you've done your best to provide for and nurture them.They'll know their judgement of you was wrong cos they could not do better in your shoes either.Life is getting tougher cos the pressures and standards of living is increasing whereas resources are diminishing, so it'll not take long before they get a feel of your pressure and stress. being understood and appreciated someday for all your hardwork,isn't that not what you'll be happy to hear? as for hubby, you'll not wish your daughter had a hubby like yours with all his flaws or faced treatments you are facing to get a feel of what you are going through now right?you'll still wish the best for your kids and pray always that they'll be protected and blessed with good life and family in future.As I grow up, i understand more things.Material things become less important and so is what happened in the past.I understood that all the strict control was for my own good. i kept my virginity for my husband thanks to my mum's strict upbringing and emphasis on curfew and nagging on no bgr during my teenage years through to after my Os and then when i got older, through us getting defiant, she switched her method to being a friend to us. So we discussed most issues and got closer til i opened up to her about relationships and we manage to keep me on the right track with the closeness and my openess to her.. No matter wad nasty things i did to my parents to hurt them in the past, i still love them no matter wad.I'm sad that eventually they divorced after we all turned teens.just the fact that they gave birth to me is enough for me to be grateful to them, blood that runs in me will attest to the neverchanging fact that they are my parents.what do i hope from my kids, i ask myself now... it's impt to get my expectations right from the start so I do not get too disappointed in the end.like retirement, i'll plan my own funds. now cost of living is so high, average earnings of 2k plus are not even enough to support a simple family with a simple lifestyle, in future, things are going to be more expensive and demanding. I will not expect my kids to support me when i'm old, and I'm going to open myself to the idea of checking into a old folks home if i dun have much savings towards the end to get myself a maid to stay with my hubby in a small house.Sometimes such issues are controversial cos they're influenced by factors that life pressures and restrictions determines action without much options available. At times when i read newspapers or watch movies, i ask myself, do people still love their parents if they send them to old age homes?if they talk about splitting family assets?if they talk about sharing cost of upkeeping parents?money is the root of all evil?sometimes it's because they need to work for a living and there's no one to take care of them at home.Can you be visiting them all the time if you're working and have other commitments like work and family?mon-fri morn to night all stuck in office.sat half day in office den back home or out with kids. Sun sleep in til afternoon den settle some things like run errands and spend time with kids. soon it's time for sleep again.isn't that the usual family lifestyle?but it becomes sinful if you do not include some time for visiting elderly in the old age homes?what is morally the right thing to do, esp if you are financially not well to do?life is very pragmatic.if MIL incapable of taking care of herself is staying with you, you have a BIl working overseas, responsibility of MIL's wellbeing is on you and BIl is not contributing cost of maintain the shared home and utilities and MIL's medical bills for blood tests and checkups cos she has some long term illness due to old age. You have your own family expenses to bear, expecting a new addition to the family and only hubby is working. when it's time to split the family assets, what is your fair share? to me, where parents are concerned, i do what i feel is answerable to self and God and get what i rightfully deserve at the end. whether what i put in the beginning is for what i can get in the end is not up to anyone else, but God to judge.see?actually, this is my problem in time to come for wad i can see.. Whether you are a lousy mother anot, God will be the judge, just do as much as you can without forgetting to pave a way for your life later so you'll not be left stranded and dun need to become a burden to your children, especially financially not dependent on anyone, will then get to see relationships improving.Money can really make or break though it's not the most important thing in life.a rich mother's words bears more weight to her children too.cos when they're in need of something financially and you can be of help, it tends to be something they'll be grateful for and if failed to, will be remembered for a long time.Sad but true.plan your steps slowly and count the risk.problems doesn't happen in a day and will not resolve in a day too..but the repercussions may be a lifetime. nobody can tell you what to do, but i think you've got your steps in your mind by now already... follow your instincts and decision and do not live to regret anything you've done or have not done.

Back