IVF in 2021?

Hi roveramble, I never tell my boss and colleagues too. Before starting IVF I just asked my Dr and his assistant about how frequent I would need to visit the clinic. Their ans was: one visit on D2, and then every 3 days until egg retrieval, most ppl need four visits prior to the procedure. They also helped to arrange blood test and consultation appointment on the same day for me for each visit so that I don't have to take two half day leave. In total I made three trips, first on D2, second on D7, last trip on D11. ER on D14. By second visit the Dr already told me that most probably ER will fall on D14 based on the follicle growth, then I could apply AL at least one week in advance. But all these actually vary depends on the protocol and drugs given. Maybe you check with your Dr? For all the absent days I just told them I'm on course. Hope this helps :)

Hi broccoli, thanks for taking time to explain the process in detail! Appreciate it! :)

Never use any HL (cry). Went back to work the next day after procedure because HL letterhead shows 'xxx fertility xxx'.

Oh dear.. :(
May I ask how's the post-procedure like? Do you experience any discomfort or pain?

Hats off to you & all of you who have gone through so much from IUI, IVF & everything in between! May all your effort & pain reward you with a bundle of joy soon ♥️

Oh dear.. :(
May I ask how's the post-procedure like? Do you experience any discomfort or pain?

Hats off to you & all of you who have gone through so much from IUI, IVF & everything in between! May all your effort & pain reward you with a bundle of joy soon ♥️

Ya really salute esp those went through multiple IVF. Hope we all get pregnant very soon!! We are already a lot more blessed than our parent generation when ART was still a luxury back then :)

Post procedure pain was bearable with anesthesia and pain killers. But the pain got more intense after sitting too long. More difficult part is trying to hide the super bloated belly at work / when meeting family and friends. Looks preggy but actually not

Hi dear,

What do you mean by eyesight is not normal as before? Will it get bette over time? The doctor didn’t lower the dosage to prevent more eggs?

I understand that having OHSS that cycle will be abort. Bt can still continue the next frozen cycle?

Hope you are better now.

Hi,

I had a bloodclot on my left side of my brain and it touches my nerve for the eyesight. Right eyesight corner still blurry and not sure if it will be back as normal or not. For now, Im taking aspirin to thin the blood. Hopefully, it will get thinner and dissolve soon...

Never use any HL (cry). Went back to work the next day after procedure because HL letterhead shows 'xxx fertility xxx'.

Hug.... no choice unless open wit the boss. Bt is quite stressful to open up on this topic. As ppl might start asking when returning to work

Hi Ladies,
I am going for my first appointment at KKH for my IVF next week. This will be my third time and have opt to get a referral letter from Polyclinic to visit government ospital as the first two was in private clinic which was very costly. During that time I realised I have Thyroid and Thalassmaia minor and maybe that was the reason i failed both my IVF which was done in 2014 and 2015.:(

Ladies anyone out there can advise what to look first time visit to KKH for IVF as I am still very nevrous about it.
My thyroid has already recovered but for thalassmia minor it will not as it is inherited (Thalassemia is an inherited (i.e., passed from parents to children through genes)

Thank you. :)

Hi Ladies,
I am going for my first appointment at KKH for my IVF next week. This will be my third time and have opt to get a referral letter from Polyclinic to visit government ospital as the first two was in private clinic which was very costly. During that time I realised I have Thyroid and Thalassmaia minor and maybe that was the reason i failed both my IVF which was done in 2014 and 2015.:(

Ladies anyone out there can advise what to look first time visit to KKH for IVF as I am still very nevrous about it.
My thyroid has already recovered but for thalassmia minor it will not as it is inherited (Thalassemia is an inherited (i.e., passed from parents to children through genes)

Thank you. :)

Hello ac88,

The first appointment at KKH is usually doctor asking you about you and your husband's TTC journey, any medical history etc and arranging appointments to check if you have any blocked tubes, blood work, check condition of uterus, husband to submit sperm for sperm check. Under the subsidized route, you will likely be seeing a consultant on your first visit. The consultant works closely with a senior consultant who usually does the retrievals and transfers.
Do bring some materials to occupy your time as waiting time can take quite long (more than an hour).

Hope the above helps :)

Hi, I would like to know how long does it take for the hospital or clinic to call you back once your BETA test is done? I'm doing my treatment at KKH.

Hello ac88,

The first appointment at KKH is usually doctor asking you about you and your husband's TTC journey, any medical history etc and arranging appointments to check if you have any blocked tubes, blood work, check condition of uterus, husband to submit sperm for sperm check. Under the subsidized route, you will likely be seeing a consultant on your first visit. The consultant works closely with a senior consultant who usually does the retrievals and transfers.
Do bring some materials to occupy your time as waiting time can take quite long (more than an hour).

Hope the above helps :)

Hi allthingsnatural,

Thank you so much for the details explanation on the checks and waiting. :)

Hi Ladies

I am new here. ☺️

I have been married for 1year 4months and we have been TTC. We have decided to try the IVF journey.
On the 28th Jan, Went to the polyclinic to get a referral letter to KKH.
On the 29th Jan, got an sms for appointment with KKH on the 17th march 2021.

we will be doing the subsidised route.

is there anyone who is able to share what to expect on the first visit at KKH?
do they randomly assigned a doctor for us or are we able to choose? (My fren recommended Prof Jerry Chan)

also, would like to know whether the subsidy covers all cost. If not, what is the expected amount needed for each visit?
( i have read that some said that it can be fully covered by govt grant + medisave)

thank you ☺️

Hi ladies,

I am a first time IVF private patient with KKH under Dr Jessie Phoon. Started my treatment early this year and currently on TWW. For someone who was new to IVF, I was assuming that as a private patient, I will get to see my doc throughout my treatment. However, truth to be told, you will only get to see your preferred doctor during ER and ET. The rest of your visit for scans/consultation will be under a senior consultant.

Despite only getting to see Dr Jessie during my very first consultation as well as during ER & ET, I would recommend her as she is someone who is precise and detailed. Although I am still on my TWW, I have tested using HPT and got a BFP. It's nerve-wracking to wait till my bhcg and hope that all goes well.

Ultimately, it takes two hands to clap. Doc may have magic hands with many patients who succeeded under his/her care, your immune system and overall body condition play an impt part too. I would highly recommend acupuncture during your ivf treatment, which is say to increase the success rate. All the best to those who are gg thru IVF It's never easy but always remember that u are never alone!

Hi ladies,

I am a first time IVF private patient with KKH under Dr Jessie Phoon. Started my treatment early this year and currently on TWW. For someone who was new to IVF, I was assuming that as a private patient, I will get to see my doc throughout my treatment. However, truth to be told, you will only get to see your preferred doctor during ER and ET. The rest of your visit for scans/consultation will be under a senior consultant.

Despite only getting to see Dr Jessie during my very first consultation as well as during ER & ET, I would recommend her as she is someone who is precise and detailed. Although I am still on my TWW, I have tested using HPT and got a BFP. It's nerve-wracking to wait till my bhcg and hope that all goes well.

Ultimately, it takes two hands to clap. Doc may have magic hands with many patients who succeeded under his/her care, your immune system and overall body condition play an impt part too. I would highly recommend acupuncture during your ivf treatment, which is say to increase the success rate. All the best to those who are gg thru IVF It's never easy but always remember that u are never alone!
Hi, where did u go for ur acupuncture?

Hi ladies,

Thanks fr sharing! Wondering if you had any fertility issues that prompted you to IVF?

Hi Ladies

I am new here. ☺

I have been married for 1year 4months and we have been TTC. We have decided to try the IVF journey.

do they randomly assigned a doctor for us or are we able to choose? (My fren recommended Prof Jerry Chan)

also, would like to know whether the subsidy covers all cost. If not, what is the expected amount needed for each visit?
( i have read that some said that it can be fully covered by govt grant + medisave)

thank you ☺
On first visit, doc asked few questions about how many years we tried, any previous surgeries, allergies etc. Explained whole process & cost. Then gave next appointment to do all tests (blood tests, HSG, Semen). For initial consultation I think you can choose doctor as I went for Dr.Sadhna.

I do not have any issue per se, aside for a blocked fallopian tube. Based on the fertility check outcome, the main issue lies with my hubby.
Do you mind sharing the issues your hubby has? I do not have any issue as well and my hubby has Low sperm count, motility and morphology. I failed 1 fresh cycle... trying to get some hope from your story... :)

Hello!

This Friday will be my first SO-IUI with private clinic. We did blood test today and all to be cleared.

I am quite nervous but nothing I can do except pray for the best outcome.

good luck to all.

Do you mind sharing the issues your hubby has? I do not have any issue as well and my hubby has Low sperm count, motility and morphology. I failed 1 fresh cycle... trying to get some hope from your story... :)
My hubby had the same issues as your hubby. Have u done any acupuncture during yr first cycle?

My hubby had the same issues as your hubby. Have u done any acupuncture during yr first cycle?
No, I didn’t. Is it necessary for the hubby to do acupuncture tgt? My hubby is taking supplements prescribed by the doctor and I don’t think he is ok to do acupuncture... Lolx

Hi there
I’ve been trying to conceive for 2 years +, did one time so-IUI at kkh and failed, hence going for ivf in March at kkh, hopefully the injections will be same as so-IUI. Had a suspected polyp and removed it last year but during my so-IUI they found something again but when I ask my doc if need to remove prior to IVF they say not necessary need to.

No, I didn’t. Is it necessary for the hubby to do acupuncture tgt? My hubby is taking supplements prescribed by the doctor and I don’t think he is ok to do acupuncture... Lolx
You may want to try acupuncture during yr next cycle or prior to yr next cycle. It says it is best to start 3 to 6 mths before. I didn't follow the protocol and only start seeing tcm one mth prior to my treatment. Haha I know it's not easy to convince the hubby to go. Mine didn't go, so it was only me that had acupuncture

Hello!

This Friday will be my first SO-IUI with private clinic. We did blood test today and all to be cleared.

I am quite nervous but nothing I can do except pray for the best outcome.

good luck to all.
Hi Eve,

Try and find things to do so that you can distract yourself from thinking about the outcome. Maybe you can listen to music or watch some funny movies. Too much stress can affect the putcome of your IUI.
All the best.

Hi Ladies

I am new here. ☺️

thank you ☺️

Hi,

I didn’t do mine at KKH so I cannot advise on what to expect at KKH.

For the cost wise, You might still need to pay cash if your total bill exceed the sum of govt grant and medisave.

For my current cycle which is my second cycle, I paid $2000 cash as my total bill is about $14,700. Govt grant and medisave only add up to $12,700 so I have to pay the balance by cash. This cost does not include the freezing and storing of extra embryos.

Hi can i knw what’s the waiting period for IVF in KKH?

Hello.. For me I called in Dec 20 to make an appointment with dr Phoon and visited her in mid jan 21, due to the closure of ivf centre for cleaning in Feb. The counselling session was schedule in early march. There after I can arrange for ivf for my next cycle. I guess it depend on the doc and clinic waiting time.

Hi,

I didn’t do mine at KKH so I cannot advise on what to expect at KKH.

For the cost wise, You might still need to pay cash if your total bill exceed the sum of govt grant and medisave.

For my current cycle which is my second cycle, I paid $2000 cash as my total bill is about $14,700. Govt grant and medisave only add up to $12,700 so I have to pay the balance by cash. This cost does not include the freezing and storing of extra embryos.

Hello Cindy,
How long can we store our extra embryos for?
Roughly how much is the cost for storing??

Hi Eve,

Try and find things to do so that you can distract yourself from thinking about the outcome. Maybe you can listen to music or watch some funny movies. Too much stress can affect the putcome of your IUI.
All the best.
Thank you for your kind advices. Yes I hope so too. Been trying to distract myself from thinking.

I’m more nervous than stress. Lol...i tried to get all the cleaning done for cny. By then it will be 2ww not gonna do smth too strenuous

Hello Cindy,
How long can we store our extra embryos for?
Roughly how much is the cost for storing??
I did mine at NUH. The first year is more expensive as it includes freezing and storing of embryo. I have to pay around $1600 for storing and freezing 9 embryo. For subsequent years, storage fee is $600 per year. If I am not not wrong, the embryo can be stored for a number of years.!

Hi can i knw what’s the waiting period for IVF in KKH?

I went for my 1st consult early Jan 2021, and I am currently scheduled for counselling in late Feb, and IVF in my March/April cycle. But they said it is because KKHIVF is closed for a period in Feb for sanitization. That aside, I would estimate the wait is about 2 months.

I did mine at NUH. The first year is more expensive as it includes freezing and storing of embryo. I have to pay around $1600 for storing and freezing 9 embryo. For subsequent years, storage fee is $600 per year. If I am not not wrong, the embryo can be stored for a number of years.!
Did u see Prof Wong PC?

Thank you for your kind advices. Yes I hope so too. Been trying to distract myself from thinking.

I’m more nervous than stress. Lol...i tried to get all the cleaning done for cny. By then it will be 2ww not gonna do smth too strenuous
I didn’t do much cleaning for the house as I had back injury previously. Doing cleaning is quite straining for me so I got my husband to do. Most of the time, I watch videos online or listen to music. I bought some music like piano for pregnancy and piano for relaxation and listen when I am free.
Please don’t get too nervous also and take enough rest.

I didn’t do much cleaning for the house as I had back injury previously. Doing cleaning is quite straining for me so I got my husband to do. Most of the time, I watch videos online or listen to music. I bought some music like piano for pregnancy and piano for relaxation and listen when I am free.
Please don’t get too nervous also and take enough rest.
Yeah I have been napping a lot throughout the day. My body just feel so tired from all the jabs.

tomorrow is the d-Day

Anyone did FET? Any idea after period came, roughly which days will need go down kkh for scans & roughly on which day is the transfer itself?

Anyone did FET? Any idea after period came, roughly which days will need go down kkh for scans & roughly on which day is the transfer itself?
Hi Pino, mine is medicated FET so two scans on D10 and D14, not sure natural FET requires more scans? for natural cycle transfer for a day5 blastocyst is 5 days post ovulation.

Last edited:
Hi Pino, mine is medicated FET so two scans on D10 and D14, not sure natural FET requires more scans? Transfer for a day5 blastocyst is 5 days post ovulation.
What is the procedure like for medicated FET? What medicine does the Dr give? Is there a waiting period from previous cycle to do FET? I heard that FET has higher success rate as Dr has time to prepare our body for the transfer.

Hi girls, anyone starting IVF with Dr Tan Heng Hao? I’m thinking of starting with him after CNY. Can I check if it’s common for people to quit their job to do IVF? My job is quite busy and stressful, am worried I cannot cope with work stress and IVF procedures and injections... also worried that work stress would affect my IVF success rates. Quite torn about this. Also afraid if I quit and just focus on IVF, means I am full time thinking and worrying about succeeding in it... thanks all :)

Back