IVF/ICSI Support Group

Im actually quite disappointed cos when i started my ivf they really very confident to cultivate until blast despite me warning them that my quality not good and fertilisation track record is very poor.

Although we know ivf is not a guranteed thing, they shouldnt hv raised our expectation that the virtus lab can do better. We actually fell for it, we thought try lo cos my first two at KKH fresh no blast maybe lab makes a diff.. to be expecting blast when it didnt happen really hurts plus with this kind of fees.

So in the end do u have any embryos?

Why he gave your hubby doxycycline? Is he having some infections?

Actually whenever in doubt, pls ask the doctor directly otherwise u will get more confused

Not too sure about high DNA fragmentation.. Roland did prescribe COQ10 for my hubby as well, but hubby not keen to take, and the Nurses also blur blur didn't give us.. so well, hubby is happy. And Roland records indicated that hubby was given.. so ya I feel they are not as systematic as govt hospital
Ya...the blur nurse!!!! It was a drama when the nurse did the preparation for my Endo, she was unable to on the lights on that dont know what equipment, the gel cannot squeeze out and looks totally lost.

Ya...the blur nurse!!!! It was a drama when the nurse did the preparation for my Endo, she was unable to on the lights on that dont know what equipment, the gel cannot squeeze out and looks totally lost.
Looking to the positive side, virtus nurses and team were excellent. Very good care, even full bladder was a breeze with their help. The phlebotomists at Mount E Nov were great at taking blood, no pain at all!

Hi I think we were preg almost the same time last year but unfortunately MC!

It's all the basic thing like thyroid function etc, then sperm DNA fragmentation, then karotyping

What's the reason for him to suggest laparoscopic for u? Unless u don't mind the cost and have insurance to pay, laparoscopic by him will cost at least 15k, that's why I went to govt instead for my laparoscopy

Ok one thing about Pte is, they will suggest almost EVERYTHING for u, so my two cents worth is u better know what is it that they want u to do before u pay for it.. just keep asking them questions
You got good memory! Your name is definitely familiar, but after awhile i lose track of who went thru what and when. heee...

he says he wants to see if there's anything wrong inside and if there is anything pushing my womb backwards. I knew long ago that i have retroverted womb, which all the gynae say is not an issue. Dr Roland also think its generally not an issue, but he wants to be sure since i had no success. he suggested for me to go back to KKH to do the lap. i'm seeing Dr Sadhana on Thu and maybe can hint hint to her about doing lap. wow... its 15k... was it at parkway or mt e novena? nurse say the cost is different by few k between the 2 hospitals.

You got good memory! Your name is definitely familiar, but after awhile i lose track of who went thru what and when. heee...

he says he wants to see if there's anything wrong inside and if there is anything pushing my womb backwards. I knew long ago that i have retroverted womb, which all the gynae say is not an issue. Dr Roland also think its generally not an issue, but he wants to be sure since i had no success. he suggested for me to go back to KKH to do the lap. i'm seeing Dr Sadhana on Thu and maybe can hint hint to her about doing lap. wow... its 15k... was it at parkway or mt e novena? nurse say the cost is different by few k between the 2 hospitals.

I think there's another by the nick of almondearie also similar preg time as us last year..

I think the reason of 'to see if there's anything wrong inside or pushing ur womb back' is not strong enough for u to do a laparoscopic.. cos it's really an invasive procedure.. I think govt hosp won't do it just to 'see what's wrong inside'. Any one here has any experience in this?

Anyway they quoted me 15-20k for laparoscopic removal of fibroids cos I've a few fibroids. Maybe if they just lap u and never remove anything then it will be much cheaper? But if I'm u and if there's nothing for them to remove, why still wanna go through the lap? Unless suspect endometriosis?

@Dreamscometrue @Holidaylover May I know what blood test did Dr Roland order for you? I just went to see him for the 1st time last week and he didn't get me or hubby to do any blood test. he only suggested doing sperm DNA fragmentation test and laparoscopy, since i had 1 miscarriage last year and 3 failed FETs.

Hi ChasingRainbow,

I realised Roland Chieng has been very obsessed with DNA Fragmentation now. He even show us the talk he going to present this month is about male infertility issues and lots of couple fail on ivf/icsi because of DNA frag.
This test is not cheap , cost $320 excluded GST.
Once you confirmed to do ivf, a list of blood test need to be done.
If you want the whole list, i can check it out for you.:)

Hi ChasingRainbow,

I realised Roland Chieng has been very obsessed with DNA Fragmentation now. He even show us the talk he going to present this month is about male infertility issues and lots of couple fail on ivf/icsi because of DNA frag.
This test is not cheap , cost $320 excluded GST.
Once you confirmed to do ivf, a list of blood test need to be done.
If you want the whole list, i can check it out for you.:)
yap. already done the test on Sat... money fly away already. now waiting for result to be out.

I still got 4 more blastie at KKH. Still deciding if I should transfer to Virtus to continue. I only left 1 fresh grant, no more FET grant and no more medisave coz I hit the max of 15k already. whether at KKH or Virtus, it's all cash from here onward. (heart pain)

I think there's another by the nick of almondearie also similar preg time as us last year..

I think the reason of 'to see if there's anything wrong inside or pushing ur womb back' is not strong enough for u to do a laparoscopic.. cos it's really an invasive procedure.. I think govt hosp won't do it just to 'see what's wrong inside'. Any one here has any experience in this?

Anyway they quoted me 15-20k for laparoscopic removal of fibroids cos I've a few fibroids. Maybe if they just lap u and never remove anything then it will be much cheaper? But if I'm u and if there's nothing for them to remove, why still wanna go through the lap? Unless suspect endometriosis?
when dr roland talk abt it, i didn't realise he was talking abt lap, i thought he was refer to hysteroscopy. then when we were paying for the consultation, his nurse tell us to check if my insurance cover lap. then i know he was talking abt lap! that night, i couldn't sleep and keep thinking about it! i thought i would just be doing some blood test to see if i have any condition, but end up he suggest lap.

I think i will get a 2nd opinion bah.

Thanks for all your sharing on Roland Chieng. I was going to make an appointment to see him but after reading, I have some doubts.

before i went for my appt, i keep seeing good reviews abt him. now then i read about not so good experiences. haha... why like that.

one reason why i choose Virtus is because they have a new technology called imsi to select better sperms for icsi. u can read abt it on their website. but this only works if sperm quality is bad. for my case, my embryos are all fertilised via icsi. normal ivf fertilisation yield zero embryo. no one can give a define answer on whether the sperm selected for icsi is actually good or not, even though it has good appearance.

Thanks for all your sharing on Roland Chieng. I was going to make an appointment to see him but after reading, I have some doubts.
Deciding a good doc is not easy at all.
Sometimes good might not be comfortable with him.
Most importantly,
before i went for my appt, i keep seeing good reviews abt him. now then i read about not so good experiences. haha... why like that.

one reason why i choose Virtus is because they have a new technology called imsi to select better sperms for icsi. u can read abt it on their website. but this only works if sperm quality is bad. for my case, my embryos are all fertilised via icsi. normal ivf fertilisation yield zero embryo. no one can give a define answer on whether the sperm selected for icsi is actually good or not, even though it has good appearance.

Hahahaha....same as me!!
Then I talked to my hubby about this chat thingy which I only started today...
He said he has the same feeling as well...
Like only after the money...lol.. ( just kidding)
But well...getting a good and comfortable doc isn't easy at all...especially EACH consultation cost me a very good meal....

there are many successful stories of roland with many sisters. he will go all out to clean yr womb and try different thgs that some doc dun try.
virtus lab dun select soldiers just by appearance. i know this as i chatted with e chief embrologist before. sometimes a ugly looking 1 may be e 1.

1 thg is if u go to roland,u need to believe in him as he will suggeat some surgery to check if the womb environment is ok
and also he prefer culture to D5 and do FET.
of cos there is room for negotiation with him to do fresh if you are not comfy (e last statement is based on my 2016 encounter eith him, but in e end i didnt do anythg with him,as he suggested biopsy for soldier retrieval for my hub which we not comfy with,as its invasive)

its maybi is fate to find a doctor that u have affinity n strike a positive bfp n excellent results.

it takes a good soldier,a good egg,a condsive womb,a doctor, a good embroylogist and yr mental to work. and also luck n 缘分

Last edited:
Most importantly,

Hahahaha....same as me!!
But well...getting a good and comfortable doc isn't easy at all...especially EACH consultation cost me a very good meal....

I think for pte doctor, we always have this mentality that they are only after our money.. I think to a certain it's true cos their money all come from us, not from anywhere else.. haha

But being in pte, there's some benefits like everything is faster, no need to wait for months to start, everything just collect from the clinic.

He did explain to me that since I have went through so many rounds, why not test everything and do everything we can to make sure we get the best of everything.. so at least we tried our best. So it's up to individual to think whether they just want to earn our money or they really are doing everything to ensure the best chance of success.

At first I was quite hesitant about laparoscopy as it's such an invasive procedure.. but after much consideration, told myself to go all out ba.. Really hope for miracle soon

Ya...I really hope that I have found the right one as I don't want to waste my time and money again to go through all the consultations and tests...
But my hubby doesn't like the idea of soldiers retrieval as well...

any sis with roland can help this sister respond on her day 11 for endo scratch query? thanks
[/QUOTE]

I m w Roland but I can't Rem which day he did endo scratch for me but so far he only did once for me .. my recent 2 Fet last year he said no need do endo scratch wor...

As of my december 2016 check with virtus. They hv increased price by 2k. Fresh ER is 8.8k and FET is 4k. RC will do fresh ER and then FET so will be 12.8K before GST. You can always call up Virtus to check on their rates.

This 12.8K excludes medication and RC IVF monitoring package. Monitoring package is 1800 and includes consult, scans and blood tests during the stimmulation. This is new package since late 2016. When i did in early 2016 the consult and scans and BT were alacarte price and much cheaper, by about 1k. But if you have lots of scans or monitoring rounds maybe ok?

Then you need to factor in medication cost of the jabs. This one varies from person to person as some women req higher dose of stimm. Mine was about 4k for medication, and i respond well my dose is on lower end of spectrum.

Didn't know virtus price increase again in dec. I had my er n Fet w virtus ard sept-oct time frame , already got price increase Liao. But my hub has confidence w Roland n virtus embryologist team, he said he dun mind paid more.. so we went ahead.

Been with Roland since 2012 till now, Roland is a vy straight forward person, he will states all the facts out to u, he won't hide it from u. I do agree sometimes abit hard to digest wat he said outfront but at least he kept us prepared ahead wat to expect. Tats probably y my hub is more open to talk to him than all my previous gynaes

Hi Monalee,

KKH just called they said my husband have to go some blood test (out of pre-IVF) and ultrasound before proceed to IVF process .
:( I cant wait to start but seem like very long...

Pray hard for your, all the best :)

Yeah usually they will require couple's blood test prior to IVF. Takes about 1-2 mths to start IVF after blood test result is out..

Hi Dollygirl,

I'm not sure why he done endo scratch on me...maybe I can ask him next time..
not sure why always tongue tight during the consultation
Think I have to prepare my questions for him on my next visit...

Didn't know virtus price increase again in dec. I had my er n Fet w virtus ard sept-oct time frame , already got price increase Liao. But my hub has confidence w Roland n virtus embryologist team, he said he dun mind paid more.. so we went ahead.

Been with Roland since 2012 till now, Roland is a vy straight forward person, he will states all the facts out to u, he won't hide it from u. I do agree sometimes abit hard to digest wat he said outfront but at least he kept us prepared ahead wat to expect. Tats probably y my hub is more open to talk to him than all my previous gynaes
Im not sure when the increase took place. But definitely it would be between Jan (when i did my fresh with rc) and Dec 2016 (called clinic as i wanted to prep for 2017 fresh). I dont think he would do two increases in such timeframe.

Most importantly,

Hahahaha....same as me!!

Thanks everyone for sharing
Agree it not easy to find a doctor - I think my situation is not straightforward to begin with; need to have chemistry, hopefully not to expensive too
Will be going back NUH for review for my FET tomorrow; hoping to have some closure and move on. Gain so much weight from the double stim protocol so I think I should try to lose some weight before starting another round ha

he propose needle biopsy to your hubby?
Yes...he did suggest to us...
But he changed his mind to use medication instead for a month to see if it has improvements...
I did do some research on it and it should take about 3 months for new patch of sperm to replenish...
Anyway...my hubby is going for another DNA test again once he finished his whole course...

Yes...he did suggest to us...
But he changed his mind to use medication instead for a month to see if it has improvements...
I did do some research on it and it should take about 3 months for new patch of sperm to replenish...
Anyway...my hubby is going for another DNA test again once he finished his whole course...
actuali my hubby gallently did a trial biopsy thst he suggested
but after we regret. cos after rational thinking,we think shouldnt poke in e first place and moreover its trail,actual need poke again

actuali my hubby gallently did a trial biopsy thst he suggested
but after we regret. cos after rational thinking,we think shouldnt poke in e first place and moreover its trail,actual need poke again
May I know how come he suggested to you as well??
For my case because of hubby high in DNA frag....
How much is the trial biopsy cost?? What's the purpose of doing that??

May I know how come he suggested to you as well??
For my case because of hubby high in DNA frag....
How much is the trial biopsy cost?? What's the purpose of doing that??
becos we have very little n bad quality soldiers. he says sperms from e testicles has less oxidative stress compared to ejalculated.

it cost $1800 claimable via cpf for some cost.

becos we have very little n bad quality soldiers. he says sperms from e testicles has less oxidative stress compared to ejalculated.

it cost $1800 claimable via cpf for some cost.
Thank you for your info Connie....it's really helpful...
$1800 is not a small amount...
I totally understand why at that point of moment you both agree to do the trial... I also asked to do some test along with endo scratching which I have no idea what's that for at all and it cost me about $ 900
Ya..he also claimed that it can reimburse from our cpf medisave..but when come to think of it..it's still our hard earn money...
Think next time really have to give ourselves some time to think if those tests are necessary for us...

Thank you for your info Connie....it's really helpful...
$1800 is not a small amount...
I totally understand why at that point of moment you both agree to do the trial... I also asked to do some test along with endo scratching which I have no idea what's that for at all and it cost me about $ 900
Ya..he also claimed that it can reimburse from our cpf medisave..but when come to think of it..it's still our hard earn money...
Think next time really have to give ourselves some time to think if those tests are necessary for us...
normally roland will do endo scratch 1 cycle prior to fet. maybi he blur liao thought u doing icsi next month. anyway my advise is perhaps get hubby test 3 months timeframe n start icsi on 3rd mth from yr endo scratch. dun waste e scartch effort. or maybi u ask roland better

i think at e stress juncture sometimes we cannot think well. will just plunge to wat doctor suggest cos like try so many times n no way out liao. but sometimes do liao will regret. so sometimes have to keep calm n think peacefully before say yes. of cos do liao succeed happy
do liao if not found anythg, or not succeed, find myself so foolish just listen to doctors. sometimes just have to pray to god or e religion which u believe thgs will turn out good.

Last edited:
Hi I think we were preg almost the same time last year but unfortunately MC!

It's all the basic thing like thyroid function etc, then sperm DNA fragmentation, then karotyping

What's the reason for him to suggest laparoscopic for u? Unless u don't mind the cost and have insurance to pay, laparoscopic by him will cost at least 15k, that's why I went to govt instead for my laparoscopy

Ok one thing about Pte is, they will suggest almost EVERYTHING for u, so my two cents worth is u better know what is it that they want u to do before u pay for it.. just keep asking them questions
Hi @Dreamscometrue @chasingrainbows .. I was one of those who also mc last yr.. Maybe we were all around the same time. Anyway just wanted to share I did some other tests like lupus, vit D and S deficiency panel, and sticky blood etc. I found out that I have MTHFR gene mutation sticky blood syndrome and Vit D deficiency. Quite a comprehensive set of tests.

Hi @Dreamscometrue @chasingrainbows .. I was one of those who also mc last yr.. Maybe we were all around the same time. Anyway just wanted to share I did some other tests like lupus, vit D and S deficiency panel, and sticky blood etc. I found out that I have MTHFR gene mutation sticky blood syndrome and Vit D deficiency. Quite a comprehensive set of tests.

hi! may i know which dr u went to do the test? i know i have vit d deficiency. tried taking vit d supplements but i'm not consistent.

hi! may i know which dr u went to do the test? i know i have vit d deficiency. tried taking vit d supplements but i'm not consistent.
I went to Dr Sheila Vasoo who ordered the full set of tests including karyotyping. I know there is a NUH recurring mc dept but wanted to find out sooner so I went private to Dr Vasoo clinic at Choolani clinic. She is very detailed and v knowledgeable, and able to explain in layman terms v well. My deficiency is slightly more serious than my friends'. They are taking 1000mg per day, she advised me to take 2000mg (two tablets). And even tho my IVF may be a few months later she has advised me to start now daily. So, Jiayou with yrs and be consistent in yr meds taking :) every step of this journey is impt!

I went to Dr Sheila Vasoo who ordered the full set of tests including karyotyping. I know there is a NUH recurring mc dept but wanted to find out sooner so I went private to Dr Vasoo clinic at Choolani clinic. She is very detailed and v knowledgeable, and able to explain in layman terms v well. My deficiency is slightly more serious than my friends'. They are taking 1000mg per day, she advised me to take 2000mg (two tablets). And even tho my IVF may be a few months later she has advised me to start now daily. So, Jiayou with yrs and be consistent in yr meds taking :) every step of this journey is impt!

Hi I've pm u :)

Hi there,

Would like to ask if we can transfer frosties from one hospital to the next? I did a fresh at TMH but failed, thinking if can go KKH do to have the grant. Thanks.

yap. already done the test on Sat... money fly away already. now waiting for result to be out.

I still got 4 more blastie at KKH. Still deciding if I should transfer to Virtus to continue. I only left 1 fresh grant, no more FET grant and no more medisave coz I hit the max of 15k already. whether at KKH or Virtus, it's all cash from here onward. (heart pain)

normally roland will do endo scratch 1 cycle prior to fet. maybi he blur liao thought u doing icsi next month. anyway my advise is perhaps get hubby test 3 months timeframe n start icsi on 3rd mth from yr endo scratch. dun waste e scartch effort. or maybi u ask roland better

i think at e stress juncture sometimes we cannot think well. will just plunge to wat doctor suggest cos like try so many times n no way out liao. but sometimes do liao will regret. so sometimes have to keep calm n think peacefully before say yes. of cos do liao succeed happy
do liao if not found anythg, or not succeed, find myself so foolish just listen to doctors. sometimes just have to pray to god or e religion which u believe thgs will turn out good.

Hi Connie,

Ya, i have delay a couple of months before going back for review, i supposed to go back this month on my 2nd day of my period, but i get to know from one of the sister here that Dr Roland is away on June for a week or 2....

I was surprised that he asked me to have baby dance with my hubby on the same month i did my endo scratch, but it was done on my D11 , meaning i have to do it while im still bleeding from my scratch as my ovulation is around D14...:confused:

Hi Connie,

Ya, i have delay a couple of months before going back for review, i supposed to go back this month on my 2nd day of my period, but i get to know from one of the sister here that Dr Roland is away on June for a week or 2....

I was surprised that he asked me to have baby dance with my hubby on the same month i did my endo scratch, but it was done on my D11 , meaning i have to do it while im still bleeding from my scratch as my ovulation is around D14...:confused:
becos after scratch e lining is repairing, and higher chance of conception.. :)

I left 2 blastocyst. Should i transfer 1 or 2 for FET? doctor mentioned for my age she recommend 1 only. I afraid that if transfer 2 and i have no more left if it is bfn. If i transfer 1, i am afraid success rate not so high

This is your 1st FET?

I did my fresh with him in Jan 2016. Fet in feb 2016. Not successful. I hv 2 frozen but quality no good so he wants me do another round fresh to gather more embryo pool. I was quite unhappy that he didnt tell me about the scratch beforehand.

This year wanted to do another round of fresh but i hv one more round of govt subsidy so i didnt want to waste. So im doing my fresh with NUH.

NUH done my scratch this yr. I was very fearful cos the last scratch i end up pain 1 week and i constantly worry if i was dev an infection. But this round NUH scratch on day 21 was ok. Only cramp 2 days. I think day 11 our endometrium is thin, so scratch very painful.... Then i keena charge for trial cannulation when my ET is actually very simple path.

For his charges, i feel the clinic nurses could be more efficient.

Cannot comment more as it was only 1 fresh with him. He has special and good ideas which i think you cannot find with conventional doctors. For example he wanted to do mini ivf with me as he feels my egg quality dont seem to come out well with jabs. But mini ivf is only 3 to 5 eggs... then fresh at virtus is at least 12k... so..... normally i can produce quite at least 16 which makes the ROI of a fresh higher.... lol..

Mini ivf have been around for quite awhile. Some dr don't suggest it is because u yield less eggs n it's recommended for Low Amh girls. Natural ivf is also another option.

Hi there,

Would like to ask if we can transfer frosties from one hospital to the next? I did a fresh at TMH but failed, thinking if can go KKH do to have the grant. Thanks.
Not too sure about how it's done between hospitals. Few years back, my friend wants to transfer her last embryo from KKH to thomson because she wanted to follow SF Loh when he switched hospital, but Dr Loh advised against transferring. And I also read before somewhere that it is costly to transfer.

But when I ask Dr Roland about it, he says it's not expensive (cannot remember the exact numbers, probably in the low range of hundreds). He assured me that the embryos are transported in a container with liquid nitrogen to keep it in deep freezing and thus will not compromise their quality. I just need to go back to KKH to request for the transfer to Virtus.

hihi! thanks for sharing! i've also considered going to Dr Sheila and i got a friend who has been bugging me to go see her. may I know if she would entertain patient like me who only had 1 miscarriage? did you have to wait a long time before getting an appointment with her at her private clinic? which is at Mt E Novena right? my friend told me that i have to go back at different cycle day to draw blood for the whole suit of tests. how many times did you have to go back to see her before getting the full result? hehee... sorry, i got alot of questions.

hihi! thanks for sharing! i've also considered going to Dr Sheila and i got a friend who has been bugging me to go see her. may I know if she would entertain patient like me who only had 1 miscarriage? did you have to wait a long time before getting an appointment with her at her private clinic? which is at Mt E Novena right? my friend told me that i have to go back at different cycle day to draw blood for the whole suit of tests. how many times did you have to go back to see her before getting the full result? hehee... sorry, i got alot of questions.
Hi! Yes she will see you cos she also saw me, i hv no mc. I saw her for multiple implantation failure despite trasfering good d3 embryos. She is currently on conference leave until 18 Jun.

It should be easy to get appt within 1 or 2 weeks at any point.
The waiting time can be quite long at the clinic as she also see arthritis patients.

NK cell test is done on cd3 to cd5. So you might wanna see if you can time the appointment to see her on cd3. I did the series of BT on my first visit.

Hi! Yes she will see you cos she also saw me, i hv no mc. I saw her for multiple implantation failure despite trasfering good d3 embryos. She is currently on conference leave until 18 Jun.

It should be easy to get appt within 1 or 2 weeks at any point.
The waiting time can be quite long at the clinic as she also see arthritis patients.

NK cell test is done on cd3 to cd5. So you might wanna see if you can time the appointment to see her on cd3. I did the series of BT on my first visit.
that great! thank you! ;)

Hi Dollygirl,

I'm not sure why he done endo scratch on me...maybe I can ask him next time..
not sure why always tongue tight during the consultation
Think I have to prepare my questions for him on my next visit...

No need tongue tied w Roland de.. we Aso vy straightforward ask him . Like queries from my other frens pregnancy I will Aso ask him is it a concern..

Anyway his clinic assistants are quite helpful
. I msg them directly if I have queries w Roland they helped me pass msg. Even now I m not with him cos he no longer do bb delivery I still ask him question cos my current gynae I have no such access like I have to Roland

No need tongue tied w Roland de.. we Aso vy straightforward ask him . Like queries from my other frens pregnancy I will Aso ask him is it a concern..

Anyway his clinic assistants are quite helpful
. I msg them directly if I have queries w Roland they helped me pass msg. Even now I m not with him cos he no longer do bb delivery I still ask him question cos my current gynae I have no such access like I have to Roland
Hi Dolly_girl,

Thanks... i will take note on that...:)
Esp during my ER/ ET /2WW, im sure i have lots of questions along the way...

Back